• Published 25th Oct 2011
  • 26,175 Views, 2,335 Comments

Heroes and Allies - LewisClarke



A great force threatens to destory Equestria and worlds beyond... Can two very diffrent peoples band together to stop it?

  • ...
76
 2,335
 26,175

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Rough Night/The Cry For Dawn

Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Rough Night/The Cry For Dawn.


With a diamond dog to lean on, Praetor Phalanx limped into the central chamber of the Canterlot Underground, where Vhesk and thousands of Liberation Alliance soldiers, Equestrian refugees, human survivors, diamond dogs, and various other stragglers had made camp. General Locklear and the surviving members of Matchbox Battalion were busy preparing their equipment, having been the last to escape Canterlot.

The General approached the injured griffin. "Ah, Praetor Phalanx. Yet another person I need to remember to punch when this is all over."

The praetor groaned and shook his head.

Locklear continued. "We took back all of the supplies you stole when you captured us. They're patching up the wounded in that crevice over there. For your sake, let's hope griffins and humans have similar physiology."

"I will be fine," Phalanx spoke confidently. He turned to Rover, who still kept the griffin praetor from falling. "Diamond dogs deal with these kinds of injuries on an almost daily basis. They already treated me." Phalanx released Rover and stood on his own, then nearly doubled over as his legs nearly gave out underneath him. "Though, medicine for the pain would be appreciated."

The general smirked. "I think we can handle that."

Rover turned to the dogs following behind. "Let's move. We'll regroup here once we find all of the others."

"Others?" Phalanx questioned.

Rover turned back. "You didn't think this was it, did you? We dogs live underground, and Hircus and his goons just started to look down here. Most of us are still safe in the lower tunnels."

"Good, keep searching. We need every last bit of help we can acquire," Phalanx reminded him.

"We have more streaming in as well," Locklear added. "We caught a group from the very first team to go to Canterlot, trying to escape."

Phalanx nodded. "Excellent. What is the state of your forces here?"

"We're alive. Lost two guys in trying to get out of the city, but most of the wounded are still in fighting condition."

Phalanx nodded once more. "What about the Equestrians?"

"About the same. Major Bronze Leaf is recovering well, and after being locked away all this time, most of them are ready to destroy anything and everything that gets in their way. I'd steer clear of them for a while, if I were you. What about the Alliance? You are their leader now, right?"

"No, I am a-" The truth sunk in as Phalanx realized that the Liberation Alliance's central command could have already been taken by Hircus's forces. "As the highest ranking survivor, I could indeed be one of the alliance's last officers, but that would mean-" He looked up. "Yes. I- I suppose I am."

"Well then you have some troops to inspire, because they're dangerously close to losing all hope."

"What do you expect? Their homes are being stolen by an ancient conqueror, and their only way out is to flee into an enemy's territorial domain."

Locklear put a hand to his face and sighed. "Hircus is trying to kill all of us right now. Enemies? Allies? There's no time for that now. Focus on survival. Everything else can wait."

"Agreed."

Locklear turned to walk back toward his troops, then turned back to face Phalanx. "Don't get me wrong here. If you or any of your forces even think of stabbing us in the back, I'll personally make sure you don't even get the satisfaction of cracking a witty one-liner before you die."

Phalanx didn't break eye contact with the general. "Fair enough."

As the general walked away, FlockLeader Wingroot made his way toward a very tired Phalanx. "Praetor. We are pleased to see you alive. Lord Vhesk wishes to speak with you immediately."

"Thank you, Wingroot. Keep me posted on anything suspicious the humans do, but do not in any way draw suspicion to yourself in the process."

"It will be done, my lord."

"Oh, and Wingroot..."

"Yes, praetor?"

"Try to give the soldiers a little hope, if you can."

"I will try."

Wingroot flew off toward a higher level of the underground compound, and passed Gilda as she swooped in from above.

"Phal" She launched right into a diving bear hug without even touching the ground.

"Gilda? I couldn't be sure that you and Berhal escaped!"

"I'm just glad you made it. We both are."

"I'm not sure if I should be happy to see you, or worried that you sound surprised."

"Both, you overly heroic moron!" She yelled as she hugged him again.

"Gilda? Not that I'm complaining, but can you release me? I'm still a bit torn up."

"Oh." She backed up. "My bad."

"Trust me. That is not a problem."

Berhal entered the chamber from an adjacent one. "Ah! My friend! You're alive, so Hircus must be down very many soldiers!"

Phalanx turned. "You look well Berhal, especially for someone that fell from the sky."

"I am Caprastian. Nothing can keep me from my duties but death itself. Besides, you survived quite a harrowing encounter yourself."

"Indeed," Phalanx grinned. "-though the diamond dogs were quite the help. I wish they'd accepted our offer of alliance when we sent it two years ago."

"Like the changelings?" Berhal suggested. "They never even bothered to send word back."

Phalanx shook his head. "Chrysalis and her band of identity-challenged abominations will never work for anything but their own goals. Had we know they were going to attack Equestria early, we wouldn't have even suggested a partnership. They never stood a chance."

"They made a good show of it, though." Berhal began to laugh. "Our Equestrian agents painted quite the picture!"

"Maybe we should ask them now," Gilda spoke up. "You know, the changelings. They're probably pretty desperate by now."

"No," Phalanx answered confidently. "They would betray us as soon as help us. Our quota for betrayals has already been met."

Berhal nodded. "No joke there. It'll take all we've got to survive this one."

Phalanx bowed his head. "It will. Do not forget that."

"You don't have to worry about me. I know what's at stake here." Berhal turned to leave. "If you excuse me, I'm going to help the ram troops here prepare."

"Very well. Gilda, Vhesk wants to see us. Something about the machine I would guess."

The two began to make their way to the center of the chamber, where the pandragon scientist known as Vhesk darted from level to level of a large convoluted machine in the heart of the cavern.

"That thing creeps me out," Gilda whispered to Phal as they grew closer to the device. "It looks way to much like some crazy mad scientist's contraption outta some comic scroll."

"If it is our only escape, I welcome it," Phalanx paused. "You read comics?"

"Yeah, me and Dash used to-" Gilda grimaced. "It was a long time ago."

Phalanx knew not to continue the conversation, or pry Gilda any further.

The two griffins reached the center chamber that was now almost completely filled by Vhesk's creation. The strange device appeared to be large, ring-shaped mass of wires and pipes with what appeared to be a massive goose neck lamp above it.

"Salsiva, can you bring up that conversion spanner?" the scientist could be heard shouting from above.

"Vhesk! Where do we stand?" Phalanx called out to him.

"At the precipice of discovery, praetor. The crown you brought with you will more than suffice, though I'm having a hard time understanding how it's so powerful!"

"It's Hircus's," Phalanx answered as if that wasn't a cause for alarm.

"Excuse me?"

"Gilda didn't tell you? We stole it from Hircus."

Vhesk appeared to be about two shades of red lighter than before. "I suppose that's just more motivation to make our escape then! Once I activate the dimensional piercer, it'll rise through the tunnel above us until it reaches the surface. Can't have us emerging underground, can we? The second it comes into view, Hircus's soldiers will be on us like sharks. We need to orchestrate a swift and organized retreat, or a lot of us could perish in the process. Any suggestions?"

Phalanx put a talon to his chin. "We can't let the civilians go in first. They'd most likely be fired upon on sight. We'll split the soldiers into two groups: one to make contact with the humans at the front, hopefully with a minimum amount of bloodshed, and another to protect the civilians from the rear."

"It's a good plan, but how do we get the non-flyers through?"

"What do you mean?"

"The portal will be a horizontal disc, floating above us. Anyone escaping will have to fly up into it."

"I see. Berhal had a dragon-lift force set up to help us before. Have anyone with free time strip the BW's of any heavy components and we'll use them to transport any non-flying civilians."

"Yes, and I suppose the flight capable civilians could help carry any remaining stragglers."

"Indeed." Phalanx's face took a more serious expression. "How long do we have, Vhesk?"

"My machine, or Hircus's big bubble?"

"Both."

"At the rate of expansion I recorded earlier, the pillar will reach this area in four hours. We'll be long gone by then. What worries me is that anyone left behind is a good as Hircus's."

"We'll figure out how to stop this. Otherwise, everything we've accomplished will have been for nothing."

Vhesk noticed a change in Phalanx's appearance. "Praetor, if I may be so bold, I get the feeling that you feel directly responsible for all of this."

"Who else could be to blame? I allowed his escape. Now he'll stop at nothing to take all of us for whatever he's planning."

"We were fooled, sir. We couldn't have known who he really was without releasing him. This usurper would have escaped one way or another. At least we caught on to his schemes before it was too late. Of all the ways he could have chosen, of all the individuals he could have used, he made the wrong decision choosing us."

"Well said, Vhesk. Have you ever considered a military position?"

Vhesk offered a tired chuckle. "All sixteen of my brothers and sisters enlisted years ago. They are all stationed in Terodai. I thought I might choose something different." The lanky pandragon minor suddenly appeared to be very depressed.

It was phalanx's turn to see Vhesk's change of face. "They'll be okay, Vhesk. Terodai is quite isolated. It could be weeks before the pillar reaches the city."

"You would be right, but if my theory is correct, Hircus's ability to enslave the minds of others increases with every mind he takes."

"Then we will just have to be faster."

"Very well, my lord. We can leave in ten minutes to an hour, depending on how quickly we can get organized. Most of us are ready, but some will need pushing."

"We will be ready." Phalanx turned to leave. "Be ready when we are."

The large device in the center chamber began to hum. A black shroud grew from Hircus's crown, which had been very carefully attached to the very top of the structure. The shroud began to envelope the entire structure.

"Oh, I will be," Vhesk spoke confidently. "Question is, will the alliance be ready for whatever awaits them on the other side?"

Phalanx noticed Gilda had fallen asleep on a rock nearby.

"Most of us will be."



****************



A small blue sports coupe raced down the emergency lane of I-75, closely tailed by seven police units.

"Alright, Lime. We're cool. Almost there."

The green stallion was firmly pressed into the passenger seat, unwilling to speak. The car darted off into an exit ramp leading to large street.

"Alright, the base is just down this road. We'll just-" Greene stomped on the brakes to avoid crashing into a roadblock set up around Dobbins Air Reserve Base.

"We'll just stop in front of this wall."

A police helicopter rose in front of them, flanked by two Apache attack helicopters.

"That seems a bit... excessive," Greene mumbled.

...."Driver! You are encroaching on a restricted black zone created under emergency U.N. Resolution 54695-A to create a safe barrier region to protect incoming refugees. You will submit to examination. If you do not, you will be fired upon."...

"Wait a minute. That voice..." Greene stepped out of the car and began to wave his arms. Police and military personnel swarmed the perimeter.

"State your intentions!" a soldier yelled as he drew his gun. "Tell us what you're doing or the barrel of my gun will be the last thing you ever see!"

"Whoa whoa whoa! Relax! I'm air force. I was just transporting a refugee back to the compound."

"You endangered lives and wasted our time- Wait. Did you say one of them is in there?"

"Yes..."

"It ain't in the trunk, is it?"

"Uh, no..."

The soldiers walked up to the side of the car, and opened the door. The commanding officer of the group put his radio to his face. "This is Major Cavere. We found the runaway. Repeat, we have the runaway." He turned to the frightened green stallion. "Assistant Mayor Hill. We've been looking for you."

"R-really?"

"Yes. The entire city's worth of police and military has been scouring the area to find you. Keeping the media from finding out cost us millions."

"I- I wasn't aware I was that important."

Cavere dragged a hand down his face. "Who you are doesn't matter. An equestrian disappeared, and you thought no one would notice?"

"Well-"

"If your kind wants our trust, breaking out of a contained area and sneaking around our city is not a very good way to go about it."

"My- my apologies. I am fully aware of what I have done, but pardon me for wanting to leave your little stockade."

"You know very well why we can't let Equestrian civilians roam free yet," Cavere rebutted.

"Yes, yes," Greene chuckled. "So, uh, can we go now?"

"You're lucky, Captain Greene. The president himself just ordered us to let you off the hook. Otherwise you be in a holding cell by now. We had guns on you ready to take you out if you turned out to be a threat. There are actually snipers holding out on you now."

Greene stepped back and looked all around, then turned back to the soldier. "I don't see anybody."

"Of course not, otherwise they wouldn't be very good and their job, now would they?"

"You're just messing with me aren't y-"

"Boo!" A marine carrying a Barrett M82A1 sniper rifle made his presence known behind the unpleasantly surprised pilot.

"Okay. Point taken," Greene whimpered.

"We're done here, sir. Moving out," the sniper remarked to Cavere.

"Good work, Stevens. RTB."

"Yes sir," Stevens answered. "Come on, boys! We're outta here!"

Several more snipers emerged from various other unlikely positions and rode off on a Humvee.

Cavere shook his head. "By the way, your leave has been cut. You will return to duties tomorrow morning and report to Colonel Halley in the morning."

"Heh heh! How convenient!" Greene nervously chuckled. "I was just getting tired of all the good food and respect! Well, me and my associate here will just hop in and go-"

"Actually, you're coming with us. Your car will be impounded."

"Tyrants," Greene mumbled under his breath. "Alright. Just let me say hi to a friend." Greene turned to the police helicopter, hovering just a few feet from the street."

"Hey, you're that police sergeant we met in front of the dome, aren't' you?!" Greene called out to the police chopper.

..."Greene? That you? Should have known. You make a ruckus everywhere you go, this planet or otherwise." The sergeant could be heard laughing over the helicopter's megaphone. "Now get outta here!"...

"Hey, don't shoot me and I will!"

..."Deal. By the way, my name's Vince. Vince Lawson. You can stop calling me "Police Sergeant" already."...

"Fine with me, *snicker* Officer Lawson."

..."Scram, kid, before we change our minds."....

Lenard turned to Lime Tree as the two were ushered into an APC. "Hmm. Nice guy. Wait, did he just call me kid?"

Lime Tree groaned, still shaking from before.

"Why didn't I sneak into Lieutenant Reed's car?"


***************


..."Moniker Two! Your bird's finished! Bail outta there before you go up with it!"...

"I'm punching out! See you guys in the officer's mess!"

..."Good chute! Good chute! Moniker Two is clear! Get somebody out here to extract him! Now let's clean these guys up before they get another one of us! Get on it, squadron! Now!!!"...

A beleaguered pilot fell into tree canopy of Xaysomboune, in Laos. After making sure his parachute didn't snag on any branches, he ungracefully landed in a small stream. With the sounds of an intense dogfight furball overhead, the young pilot pulled his radio unit from a pocket and put it to his mouth.

"This Lieutenant Michael Kaiser to Watcher One AWACS. I've been downed! Can I get an ETA for pickup?"

There was no sound from the radio.

"Hello? This is Moniker Two to any Allied forces! I need pickup!"

The sounds of footsteps in the foliage could be heard.

"AWACS?" Kaiser whispered.

A small team of Insurrection rebel soldiers stepped into the small grotto Kaiser had fallen into, speaking a language he couldn't understand. Finding nothing but an extended parachute, they began to look around.

Nearby, Kaiser hid behind a large tree. "Gotta stay calm. It's just like in training..."

The soldiers began to fan out to find him.

"Now why did they have to go and do that?!" He began to back away stealthily, but one can only be so quite in a forest. The soldiers began to point in his general direction, shouting something that could only be interpreted as "He's over there!"

"Fantastic."

Kaiser made a break for it, leaping over tree stumps, climbing over large boulders, and ducking under low branches until he could no longer hear the soldiers running behind him. He ducked behind a secluded outcropping of stone and drew the pistol that he and his fellow pilots carried for this very situation. Trying to stifle his own breath, Kaiser sunk behind his newfound cover, desperately trying to hold down a panic attack. He'd just calmed himself down when a soldier dropped down from the canopy above, landing just a few feet away. Mike's arms and legs froze up just when they should have sprung into action, and his mind paused along with it, as the soldier shoved the barrel of his riffle in the young pilot's face. Time seemed to slow as Kaiser watched the solider begin to pull the trigger in slow motion.


"You cannot stop what is coming. Even you must realize that," the soldier growled in perfect English.

Kaiser couldn't bring himself to answer.




A gunshot rung over the forest.







Lieutenant Kaiser woke to a hazy view of the ceiling of his apartment.

"Aw, man. I know I didn't drink that much."

"No, you didn't."

Kaiser snap-turned to see Gerri sitting next to him on the apartment floor. "Whoa! How long have you- Why are you- We didn't-"

"Calm down. You hit your head when you took a stage dive off of the couch after that touchdown. That was about four hours ago."

"Oh. Well did we win?"

"Nope. Tampa Bay by fourteen points. Time to pay up."

"I could have a concussion and you're roughing me for some cash?"

"Please. We checked your eyes and such to make sure you just knocked yourself out."

"Well still-"

"Just pay the woman already," Mace commented from the other side of the room.

"Steve? You're here too?"

"You hit your head harder than I thought," Mace mumbled.

Gerri shrugged. "He already gave me his fifteen bucks. You're up."

Mike sighed as he dug for his wallet. "That's it, I'm never betting against anyone I serve with again! You're all just too lucky!"

Gerri shrugged. "If we weren't, we'd be dead, so..."

"Just take the money," Kaiser sighed.

"You patronage is appreciated, LT."

"Ha ha," the now broke pilot growled.

A loud thump could be heard from the next room.

"Uh, what was that?" Kaiser questioned.

Gerri stood. "That's just Sabre and the gang. They've been watching a bunch of old recorded games all day."

"I'll bet they don't feel as bad as I do now," Kaiser mumbled as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Thought you were done gambling, Mikey," Gerri chirped as she flipped through her newly acquired bills.

Kaiser gave her an evil eye and stood. He dusted his leather jacket off and walked into the "living room" of his apartment, where Sky Blade, Star Sabre, and Crescent Skies were crowded around the TV.

"Good morning, Lieutenant," Star Sabre spoke with a snicker.

"Oh you're funny. How was the game?"

Crescent Skies looked up. "Excellent, sir! Say, this TV's pretty good stuff!"

Mike nodded. "Heh. Just wait til you watch it live."

"Speaking of which," Mace began "We recorded the game, so you can watch the part you were slumped on the ground for."

"Do I have bullseye on my forehead or something?"

"Human up," Sabre commented. "The alliance will be throwing things much worse than insults and jokes."

"Uh- Whatever. By the way, it's time to go back to the dome for "Story Time with Princess Celestia." Unless of course one of you let the air out of my tires for fun."

"No, but that's not a half bad idea," Gerri thought aloud with a wicked grin.

Kaiser looked like he was ready to cry.

"They're just poking fun with you, Lieutenant. Pay them no mind," Sky Blade reassured him

"Hey! Don't coddle me! I'm a man!" He clutched his head. "-a man with a serious headache. Let's just go already."




*****************


Major Classified angrily tossed a pile of file folders inside an improvised tent outside of Fort Benning Army Base, an hour and a half away from Dobbins.

"Someone tell me why we've got nothing on The Banded!" the major yelled at a pair of black-clad AOD stallions.

"Sir, we've checked thousands of refugees. There is absolutely no sign of any traitorous activity or of the so-called "suicide herbs" either."

"He's right, sir. We're completely baffled regarding the Banded's activities," the other agent added.

The first agent nodded. "Major, Affairs of Darkness is- well- in the dark."

Classified jumped to his hooves and put his face less than two inches away from one of the agents. "Listen very carefully. When Princess Luna became commander in chief of AOD, I was one of the hoof-picked soldiers she chose to protect our nation from the very enemies you're telling me you've lost. That is what you're telling me, right?"

Agent one shook his head. "Sir, if the Banded have successfully remained hidden all this time, I'm not sure what we can do to find them!"

"What do you want us to do?" Agent two added.

A vein popped in the major's neck. "I WANT YOU TO GET ME SOME RESULTS OR ROYALS HELP ME I WILL HAVE YOU BOTH PEELING POTATOES IN AN UNDERGROUND BUNKER AT THE SOUTH POLE FOR THE REST OF YOUR CAREERS!"

"But sir we're not even on-"

"I'M SURE THE HUMANS HAVE ONE TOO!"

"Yes sir! We will double our efforts!" Agent one responded.

"We will try out best," two added.

The two agents saluted and left the tent, just as a human black ops operative entered.

"Are you Major Classified?" the soldier questioned.

The major looked up. "Who wants to know?"

"Right answer. I have a message for you," the soldier spoke in an emotionless tone.

"Let me see it then," Classified responded with just a hint of annoyance.

The black ops operative held a small electronic tablet, on which Princess Luna's face appeared.

..."Major," Luna began, "I require a report regarding your investigation."....

"Princess," the major nodded with respect, "We were just discussing it."

...."What findings have you unearthed?"....

"I regret we've made no headway there. Everypony on this side seems to be clean."

..."And what of thy human allies? Dost they knoweth what has befallen us?"

"Nothing. I'm sorry, princess."

..."Major, we feel- I feel I should remind you of the pressure we have fallen under to secure this threat. My sister and I require progress to sway our newfound allies. You have shown skill before. Do not fail us now, major."...

"I understand, Princess. We are doing everything we can to root out any Banded traitors among the refugees."

..."Have you considered, perhaps, that these turncoats are not among the refugees?"...

The major bowed in regretful realization. "I understand, Princess Luna. I will employ more... thorough techniques."

..."Very well. I must take my leave of you. My sister and I have a meeting to attend. I have faith in your abilities, major. Carry on."...

"Thank you, princess."

Luna nodded and the screen faded to black. The black ops operative put the tablet into a hard case and left without a word.

Classy's assistant turned in his chair. "Generals Rock and Snow Wisp are going to want a report as well."

The exasperated AOD major stared down at the files he'd thrown. The faces of several familiar humans and ponies stared back at him.

Major Classified sighed.

"Then it's time to put the team together."



*****************



Though still beating frantically at the doors of The Crate, Twilight's small band of friends beat at a much slower pace than before.

"This-" *Pant* "Isn't working!" Rainbow commented as she lamely punched at the door.

"You're-" *exhale* "-tellin' me!" Applejack added as she bucked at the door tiredly.

Baxton finished blasting the door with a cutting torch. "Try it now!"

AJ and Dash gave it one last defiant push, but the door, and the vault like structure behind it, refused to budge.

"What's this thing made of?!" Dash questioned as she panted on the ground.

"It's a titanium-carbon fiber blend, set into reinforced concrete and held into place with a steel frame."

Captain Greene and Lime Tree Hill entered through the garage's main shop door, closely tailed by several police officers. "That sounds more like a bunker than a coms booth," Lenard commented.

Jake looked over to his old friend. "They were planning on air dropping it, apparently without a parachute," he joked. "Good to see you again, Greene. What's up with the army of cops? You guys get into some kind of trouble?"

Lenard and Lime Tree traded glances then turned back to the group.

"Don't worry about it," they both answered in unison.

"Well, all the same, we're gonna need an army to bust this thing in!" Jake answered.

"Wait," Lime Tree interjected. "Why would we need to break in?"

"Twilight has herself locked inside," Rarity answered. "We really don't know why."

"Did she call for help?" Lime asked.

"Well, no," Baxton shrugged.

Lime scratched his head with a hoof. "Did anyone actually see her go in?"

"No."

"So how do we know she's not messing with all of us?" Lenard questioned.

Everypony, including Spike, stared at the captain with disbelief, Rainbow Dash especially. "Twilight? Pull a prank? Come on, dude! I know you haven't known us long, but get serious! She needs our help!"

"Got it! Whats the plan?!"

"I've been going over the schematics for this thing and I'm pretty sure the hinges are here, here, and here!" Baxton pointed out. "But I can't figure out how to cut them!"

"Who's cutting what now?" Sergeant Mace asked, as he, Reed, Kaiser, Sky Blade, Sabre, and Crescent Skies entered the room.

Spike zipped up to the marine. "Trapped Unicorn, locked door, pink explosives, running out of air!"

Baxton shook his head excitedly. "I already told you, it has a ventilation syste-"

"Somepony has to save her!" Spike yelled.

Mace began to pace. "Gimme five minutes! I can get an marine insertion team down here and-"

"Now that's all crazy talk!" Applejack interrupted. She turned to Baxton and poked him in the ribs with a hoof. "Now y'all made this thing and y'all don't know crack it open?!"

"I didn't design it! I'm just here to monitor its use!"

"Wait," Kaiser interrupted. "You're in charge of monitoring it, but didn't know she went in there?!"

"Well why don't you try to teach an entire race how to use a digital watch?!" Baxton shouted.

"Well why don't you try to do your job!" Kaiser shot back.

The situation devolved into a shouting match between the pilot and the technician. Nearby, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Pipsqueak looked on with the technician's son, Brandon.

"What are they yelling about?" Scootaloo questioned.

"I dunno. Something about the power box thing," Pipsqueak answered.

"I think they're stuck outside," Sweetie Belle added. "Someone should open it for them."

Apple Bloom nudged the younger Baxton. "Hey Brando, why don't you show them that little trick you used to show us all them funny "Yoo-HooTube" thangs?"

Brandon shrugged. "I dunno know. I'm not supposed to know that..."

"Well clearly they don't," Sweetie Bell added.

"How'd you figure that out, anyway?" Scootaloo pondered aloud.

"Oh that's easy! I just read the quick start guide!" He dug into one of his pockets. "See, here! It's this little paper thing with all these instructions and stuff."

"So, now what do we do?" Pipsqueak questioned. "We gonna have that cowpony-pirate showdown or what?"

"Hold on, It'll only take a second," Brandon hopped down from the scaffolding they were all standing on, merrily skipped past the two grown men arguing like children, bounded past the bewildered friends of those two grown men, walked past the door that several of Twilight's circle of friends were beating at, pulled off an easily noticeable service hatch, and turned a small key.

The multi-ton doors of The Crate began to slowly fold outward.

"The door!" everyone yelled at once as they rushed to the large box's opening.

Inside, the interior of The Crate was dark, save for a single lit screen in the very center. Just below it, a lavender unicorn snored loudly and drooled over the center keyboard, surrounded by pamphlets, digital tablets, and several well-worn "Internet for Dim Wits" books.

"Twilight!" Five ponies and a dragon rushed up to her.

"She's... sleeping?!" Rainbow bellowed.

"Wh- what?" Twilight drowsily spoke, smacking her lips and yawning.

"Wait just a minute now!" Rainbow stopped everyone. "You're not in a coma?! Why didn't we hear you snoring, or you hear us bashing our way in?!"

"Uh- *yawn* "Soundproof. Remember?"

"Oh- But- Twi- Whatever." Rainbow collapsed in annoyance.

"Yeah. *long yawn.* Night girls." Twilight nodded off again.

Applejack shook her head. "Wow. Can ya believe it? Sleepin'."

"Yep," Brandon answered. "My work here is done." The young adolescent ran off with his friends, while his father still held a look of total confusion.

"So she's okay?" Baxton spoke with a slight twitch in his left eye.

"So it would seem," Rarity answered.

"I'm going to go lie down," Baxton mumbled as he left the garage.

Kaiser walked past the sleeping Twilight and took a look at main screen. "Wait a minute! There's six-hundred and seventeen internet tabs open on this thing! I didn't even know that was possible!"

Twilight stirred, half awake. "International e-book library database, scientific journals, memes... so many memes..."

"Twilight?" Fluttershy quietly asked. "How long have you been here?"

Twilight groaned and lazily taped a button on one of the keyboards, bringing up a large timer screen. "Thirty-seven hours, three minutes, and forty-seven seconds," Twilight mumbled.

"Oh. Thank you, uhm, I guess," Fluttershy affirmed.

Kaiser dug through the view history on the center screen. "Bio-mechanics theories, anomaly research, internal combustion, and- Whoa ho ho! Can't leave that up on the screen!"

"Oooooh!" Pinkie spoke with her head turned to the side.

"Calm down," Mace rolled his eyes. "It just looks like an anatomy site."

"Oh sure!" Kaiser spoke with a ridiculously sly grin. "Getting some hard-core studying there, purple?"

"Just a little- curious," Twilight mumbled from atop the stack of books on the desk.

"That's what they all say," Kaiser chuckled.

Steven shook his head. "I'm sure that's what you said."

"So," Lime Tree interrupted, "Should we just wait for the princesses to contact us, or do we invite them or something?" Lime Tree asked the group.

"I kinda want to know what went down here," Greene looked down at a barely conscious Twilight. "-but I guess that'll have to wait too."

Kaiser turned to the violet unicorn in question and shook his head. "Rule one of the internet and anything associated with it: moderation."

"I'll try-" *yawn* "-to remember that..." Twilight spoke distantly.

Greene looked down at his watch, which still bore flakes of dried mud from his swim to Alcatrotz Island. "It's 8:40 now, so the princess must have problems of her own to deal with," Greene suggested.

"Or not..." Kaiser turned away from the screen. "We got six missed calls here, all from some place called "Location Withheld."

"Nice." Greene scratched at his back. "Should we call her back, or-"

An annoying high-pitched ring tone echoed through the shipping container turned coms center. Twilight had dosed off again, and the rest of her friends waited for someone or somepony to make a move. As the ring continued, Greene began to look around at the others.

"So.... Anyone gonna pick that up?"



*****************


Lord Hircus sat alone in the darkness.

He closed his eyes, and the darkness turned into a rush of images.

A baby pony trotting alone in the snow.

A man with a bolt-shot wound to the shoulder.

A griffin running for his life into a cave.

An alicorn solemnly looking over an old book.

A young ram clinging to life in a dark street.

A pandragon minor fighting an armored striped creature.

A draconequus deflecting a dimensional barrier attack.

A changeling taking the form of a manticore to survive in the wilderness.

A dark king on his throne.


The images began to swarm around Hircus's head, becoming more intense.


A King and Queen rampaging to protect their kingdom.

An eternal twilight.

A nation on its knees.

A cold breath.

A cry of fire.

A dying world.

The cold, dark, tortured emptiness of the Sapphiron Void.



A single tear rolled down Hircus's cheek, quickly set ablaze and melted away by the dimensional energy surrounding him.

"The time for remembrance and hindsight is at an end. To all under the rule of Hircus, hear my words."

Millions or creatures, large and small, sentient and non-sentient, ceased what they were doing and turned toward Castle Canterlot and the pillar of dark blue energy surrounding it. A war march could be heard, softly at first, then stronger as the armies of Hircus grew.

The war march of The Banded.

"My kind have waited for millennia to strike back at those who would imprison us. Those who would destroy what is different. The time for retribution has come, and the reign of the dread princesses is at an end. Because of their actions, I lost what mattered to me more than anything else in this or any other world, and so did all who once stood up to their tyranny. Tomorrow, we shall avenge their wrongdoings, once and for all. It is a day long overdue, my legions. For all that can hear my voice throughout the convolutions of this realm, prepare yourselves. We attack at dawn."

The non-sentient creatures howled, screeched, or roared with the hopes of victory. For those that could speak, a voice echoed throughout an entire region.

"We attack at dawn!"

"We attack at dawn!"

"We attack at dawn!"


"To all that hear my voice, let all that live know!"

The creatures began to lift into the air, glowing a bright ominous shade of blue. Creatures far and wide converged around Castle Canterlot as the pillar-like gateway of the Realm Sapphiron began to expand. The armies of ancient and present time marched into the sky, and formed a massive cyclone around their master in more numbers than could possibly be counted.

"THE BANDED HAVE RISEN!"










Liberation Alliance Central Command Fact File #209: GR-5 Fire-Bolt Chain Caster

When the already impressive firepower of a standard fire-bolt caster just isn't enough, Liberation Alliance heavy troopers, (typically rams,) turn to the GR-5 Heavy-Bolt caster, or "Chain Caster" as it is typically known, to get the job done. In simple terms, the chain caster is an enlarged and reinforced GR-2 that has been re-engineered to make use of extended fire-bolt "chains," or large flexible belts that contain at least one-hundred individual fire-bolts. Fire-bolt chains can be connected to form even larger chains to make the GR-5 an efficient point-defense weapon.

Though GR-5's are typically too heavy to carry for anyone other than rams or the strongest of griffins, they make excellent primary weapons for pandragon mounts, and have been used to great effect protecting large ships from any flying target larger than a pegasai. If deployed in large enough groups, an entire cluster of these weapons could be a possible deterrent for human-designed flying weapons, shooting them down with an almost literal wall of flak.

Author's Note:

A/N

Can you believe it? I lied again. Well, actually not, because this chapter here was originally part of the next black sun, red moon chap. I decided not to make you all wait another two weeks to put it out, and as it works so well as its own chapter, I think it worked out fine. Next chap's already in the works, so you won't have to wait too long. By the way, if you like this story, feel free to tell your buds about it too! Or if unlike me, you have some free time and talent, whip me up some fan art to make the story really pop! (One of Hircus would be really cool.) In other news, someone has been gracious enough to create a TV Tropes page for Heroes and Allies, and if you have any contributions to the page you wanna make, feel free. It can be found here. (Just try not to be overly negative.) That's all for now, so until next time,

-Lynolius

PreviousChapters Next