• Published 21st Oct 2013
  • 2,197 Views, 79 Comments

Not So Regular Romantic Comedy Show - Morex25



Mordecai, a regular groundskeeper, has a not so regular meeting with a girl who is interested in studying the strange phenomena that happens regularly at the park he works in.

  • ...
16
 79
 2,197

Prologue -

Prologue

“Are you sure about this, Twilight?”

Twilight didn’t know how many times her friends asked her the same question and how many more they will ask again.
The six ponies, known as the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, were all inside of Ponyville’s library that served as residence for the local librarian and magic expert, Twilight Sparkle.

The purple unicorn just informed her friends of a ‘mission’ sent directly from the ruler of their land of Equestria, Princess Celestia.

“I already told you girls, I’m going to be fine.” The unicorn replied with the same answer already gave them before. She was touched by her friends caring attitude, but they seemed to have forgotten she wasn’t defenseless at all. She was the Princess’ protégée, for Zacherle’s sake! She can take care of herself just fine.

“Bu…but going alone into the Everfree F..f..forest is dangerous.” Said the ever nervous Fluttershy. From all of her friends, she was the one who worried the most. “What if you encounter a cockatrice and turn you into stone?”

“Don’t worry Fluttershy! I’m prepared with these!” Twilight responded while taking out some shades from her saddlebag. “These are enchanted to prevent the effect of a cockatrice petrifying stare!” A very simple spell she found in one of her books after the incident in the Everfree Forest all those years ago.

“Cool!” Rainbow Dash, expert flyer and self-proclaimed fastest Pegasus in the land, couldn’t help but comment on the pair of sunglasses, they looked wicked cool.

“I still don’t understand why the Princess wants you to go into the forest, Twi.” The hat wearing Applejack pitch in. “And why go all alone?” Though she was the more level headed in the group most of the time, the cowpony still had her own doubts about her friend’s mission. And she wasn’t the only one.

“I have to agree with Applejack, Darling. What is it the Princess wants you to do in that horrible place?” Rarity inquired as well. If the darkness and dirtiness of the place wasn’t enough, the forest was crawling with all sorts of monsters.

“Yes Twilight! That place is like super-duper scary!” The pink party pony Pinkie say while jumping around trying to make her best at imitation some sort of imaginary monster that only existed on her head.

“Girls, I’ll be fine! Besides, this mission is important.”

“How so?” asked Rainbow Dash, how wasn’t really that worried for Twilight, she was more interested in what the mission entailed. “Do you have to search inside a tomb looking for some sort of magic artifact to defeat an ancient evil that has been sleeping for thousands of years and that its return is told by a prophecy ponies no longer believes in?”

Twilight just looked a quiet look at her friend before coming up with an answer. “Rainbow, that was last time, don’t you remember?”

“Oh yeah!” the blue Pegasus replied after recalling their last mission. They had to find six magic wands to stop the resurrection of a lava demon and prevent him from stealing all the magic of the land. Man! that was a fun weekend.

“Princess Celestia wants me to investigate the true nature of the forest” Twilight disclosed the purpose of her mission. It wasn’t like it was a secret, but she felt like she was revealing top secret information.

“The true nature?” repeated back AJ who didn’t understand what she was talking about.

“Yes, we want to know the true reason of why the forest acts the way it does” The studious unicorn clarified to her friends. Better give them a more condense version of the story and use simpler words or the interruptions and question would keep on coming.

“If all of you remember, the Everfree forest hasn’t always been there. Over a thousand years ago, the royal castle were both Princesses lived was on what today is the forest.” Even today the castle still stood, after a thousand years of uncontrollable weather changes and the proliferation of creatures.

“At first Princess Celestia assumed that the forest was born out of the remnants of magic from the battle against Nightmare Moon.” It was a comprehensible theory, despite magic being common place, there was still much to it to uncover.
Starswirl the Bearded spent most of his life trying to decipher the biggest mysteries that today still plague magic researchers to this day.

“But after some time, further research claimed that the reason behind the strange qualities of the forest were due to ‘Chaos Magic’.” At the mention of Chaos, everypony mind went directly to the only know source of chaos in their lives: Discord.

“I know what you are all thinking, in fact, the Princess thought so as well. She believed that it was the world’s way of maintaining some sort of balance between Harmony and Chaos, after Discord was imprisoned many years before the Nightmare Moon Incident”

After Discord was imprisoned a second time, Celestia told to her faithful student her belief that Chaos would always be present even if Discord were to cease to exist.

“The Princess once told me that Chaos cannot exist without Harmony and Harmony cannot exist without Chaos. The world would always try to keep a balance between the two. That’s why Equestria had so many threats to the world. If a villain is defeated another has to appear and take its place. That was the balance of the world.”

“So the Everfree Forest is just another way for the world to keep the balance between Harmony and Chaos” Rarity summarized perfectly for the rest of the group. She didn’t only have style and good looks, you know. She also had smarts, never at the level of her friend Twilight, but still smarts.

“My head hurts…” said Pinkie while rubbing her temples with her hooves. Besides her, Applejack agreed with nod. She wasn’t really that good with all that Magic Mumbo Jumbo.

“That’s what we believed, but after Discord’s ‘reformation’…” Twilight said while looking at the shy Pegasus, who blushed embarrassed when everyone else turned to look at her. “He told us that the forest indeed had some traces of chaos magic, but that it wasn’t the source of the phenomena.”

“Then what is? What is the source?” Rainbow Dash asked intrigued by the whole thing. It all sounded like a mystery her favorite book character would unravel.

“That is what I will try to find out.” She said much to the surprise of her friends. “Since I’m dealing with probably a new kind of magic, Princess Celestia has been tutoring me in the use of Chaos Magic and…Dark magic”

“D..d…dark magic?!” stuttered the frighten Fluttershy. She had the more visible reaction, but the rest too show looks of worry, concern and fright.

“Yes, Dark Magic…” Twilight said with difficulty. Dark Magic was something everypony knew existed but no one wanted to talk about. So admitting to be learning about such a taboo topic was hard.

“Twi, Isn’t that dangerous?!” Applejack was the first one to voice her concerns, and she was quickly followed by Rarity and then the rest.

“What is the Princess thinking?”
“Wha! Twilight I don’t want you to become evil!
“Dark Magic? That’s sounds kind of cool…”

Everyone turned towards the pony who said that last line, who unsurprisingly was Rainbow Dash. “What? What did I say?”

“Everyone, Listen!” Twilight took the moment of silence Rainbow’s comment brought to clarify things. “I know the topic of Dark Magic is uncomfortable and that me learning it is kind of disconcerting.”

“But my teacher is Princess Celestia, and she wouldn’t send me to this mission alone if she wasn’t sure I’m one hundred percent ready for this” The rest looked abashed for a second for doubting the princess judgment, but still Twilight was their friend and they had the right to be concerned for her.

“Besides, I’m not exactly going to be alone. Discord is going to keep tabs on me from time to time.” Twilight said with a slight hint of dread on her voice. Despite the chaotic draconequus being no longer a bad guy, he kept messing around with people and was annoying most of the time. “His comprehension on Chaos Magic that resides there could help me unravel the thousand year-old mystery of the Everfree Forest.”

After a moment of silence, her friends look back at her with a more confident look.

“Well, Twi if someone can do such a thing it’s you”
“I know you are ready, but if you feel that something might be wrong please come back home, Darling.”
Mmm..um..I’ll support you anytime, Twili…
“Yeah! Go get it Twi!”

“Thank you guys!” Twilight said thankful of her friends support. But then she noticed that Pinkie still had her head down and was sniffing. “Pinkie? Aare you okay?”

“No I’m not! Your going and I couldn’t make you ‘good luck in you mission’ party!” she said with a comically fountain of tars pouring from her eyes.

“I’m sorry Pinkie. I know it was short notice but if it makes you feel better, you can throw me the biggest ‘welcome home’ party ever.” The unicorn reassured her pink friend with a small hug.

“Really?” Pinkie asked hopefully with eyes no longer pouring torrents of water.

“Yes, really!”

“Yeah! I can wait for you to come back! It would be the biggest, loudest, most awesome party ever!” she said returning to her ever perky self.

“Now, I’m all exited! Please come back soon, Twilight I want to go to that party!” chip in Rainbow Dash with a hug on her own, which incited the rest to join in and have a group hug.

“Thank you girls. I promise I’ll come back and maybe with a new form of magic we never seen before.”

-------------------------

It would be much later when Twilight discovered that the source of the strange magic in the Everfree wasn’t magic at all, but a different kind of energy that came from outside their world.

You see the Everfree Forest was linked to that new energy, but that energy didn’t originate from the forest, it sort of existed in the borders of reality served as some sort connection to similar places in other worlds.

And one of these places was in a world vastly different to that of ponykind, but shared several similarities.
In that world, the place where the energy was found wasn’t in a spooky dark forest, but in a park, somewhere at the south of a place known as United States.

That’s were our story begins…

Author's Note:

Before anyone asks what the hell, does this has to do with the story. Just know that I wrote this prologue after Chapter 1, so you can skip this part, the real story begins next chapter.

Though it is a pretty nice setup for a epilogue that will have little impact in the story. Maybe I'll reuse it for another story.