• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 20,094 Views, 301 Comments

Good Morning, Twilight, Love the New Hairstyle! - aquilerafroot



Twilight goes to see Princess Celestia before going back to Ponyville.

  • ...
15
 301
 20,094

1: Happy Tuesday

A haggard unicorn mare in a torn black bodysuit trudged down the corridor, a baby dragon which was clutching his stomach sitting on her back. Behind them, an energetic pink pony -also clad in a dark bodysuit- bounced along merrily. The strange company made their way down a winding staircase to the front door of the archive, which they had not used the previous night due to their rather unorthodox method of entry.

“Hello again, Twilight. Leaving so soon?” said a regal alicorn, trotting gracefully across the lawn to meet the trio.

“Good morning, Princess,” answered the unicorn, grinning sheepishly. “Well, since Spike’s got an upset stomach I wanted to get him back to Ponyville to rest…” But a voice in her mind was nagging her over the princess’s words. It’s been such a long time since I’ve spent some time alone with her; I’ve seldom visited Canterlot after moving to Ponyville, but now that I’m here, I’m just about to go back.

“Well then, I wouldn’t want to keep you,” said Princess Celestia, looking slightly disappointed. “Take care!”

“Actually, I’ve got an idea!” said Twilight, her eyes lighting up. “Spike, would you mind going to the royal infirmary for a while? I’m sure the nurses could give you some medicine and a place to rest – I kinda want to take a walk around the castle, it’s been a long time since I visited!”

“Oh, okay, but how about Pinkie?” the dragon asked, gesturing to the pink pony.

“It’s okay! I’ll go with Spike to the infirmary! And then I think I could go to this super duper-rific-licious huge joke shop in Canterlot! You can take all the time you want Twilight ‘cause I just thought of lots of lots of supplies that I could buy! Come on, Spike!” Pinkie grabbed the assistant and placed him on her own back. “Bye Twilight!” she added with a wink.

“It seems that you miss this place quite a lot, Twilight,” the solar princess said, gracefully moving to stand beside her pupil. “Would you mind if I join you?”

In truth, this was exactly what Twilight had in mind. She was grateful that Pinkie and Spike could read her intentions so well – but then, it was something friends did.

“Of course, Princess,” she answered. “But I wouldn’t want to interrupt your um, duties too much, yeah.”

“Twilight, it’s still early in the morning. I don’t really have any duties right now,” the alicorn reminded her gently. “Though you must be really tired, staying up all night in the archives.”

The unicorn looked down with one eye at her torn suit. She knew she was a horrid sight, with her bandage, crazy mane, and the eye patch. “Well uh, I guess I could use some shut-eye, but not now. Spending time with you is more important.”

------------

They walked around the royal garden, savoring the fresh morning air and the light breeze as birds chirped around them. It seemed like ages since Twilight had wandered about the castle grounds with her mentor, and the present moment was a simple pleasure.

“So, I heard that you single-hoofedly sent Cerberus back to the gates of Tartarus? I am very proud of you, for saving Equestria yet again,” said Princess Celestia, beaming at the lilac unicorn.

“Actually it was Fluttershy that brought it under control in the first place; I only used a ball to catch its attention,” said Twilight, feeling her ears grow hot.

“There are very few ponies that have been to the gates of Tartarus and survived to tell the tale…” the princess mused, trailing off.

“I didn’t think it was that dangerous, although a bit creepy,” said the unicorn in a small voice.

“I am glad that you succeeded, but if had I known that you were heading there alone I would have warned you, or at least accompanied you.” said Princess Celestia, dipping her neck over Twilight in an equine hug. “There are many things there that were not meant for ordinary ponies to see – then again, you are hardly an ordinary pony, Twilight.”

The unicorn blushed, nuzzling her mentor back. “Well, at least I got back all right.” She flinched as her stomach suddenly growled at an embarrassing volume.

The princess chuckled, having heard the sound as well. “I think we should pay a visit to the kitchen…”

------------

Twilight chomped on a pastry, not hiding the fact that she was quite ravenous because of her fatigue. A week of staying up had used up most of her energy, and since she had refused to regenerate herself by means of sleep, her body could only adjust by consuming more. Digested foodstuff equals stored energy. That’s why I’ve been getting hungry so easily – I need to eat more to make up for my unhealthy lifestyle.

The princess chewed on her slice of cake more delicately, pausing now and then to smile at her student’s loud chewing. With that suit, and that hairdo, and that roughness – plenty of mares would probably fall for her- Celestia stifled a giggle at her random thought. She really needs to relax… I should suggest she take a bath when we’re done; get her hair groomed and that suit changed.

“Princess?” said the unicorn, swallowing the last of her pie. “So, is there anything you’d like to do after this?”

“Well, since you ask… I was actually thinking of taking you to my room and giving that unruly coiffure a wash and a good tidying up,” the princess replied, playfully ruffling Twilight’s wild mane with a hoof.

“Oh, okay, I guess… it’s um, actually been a while since I washed my mane,” Twilight admitted bashfully. “I couldn’t, because of the bandage, but I think the wound has healed enough for me to take it off for a while.”

Princess Celestia polished off her cake as well and rose from the table with her usual grace. “So, are you ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go!” replied Twilight, following the princess. They made their way through the castle, eventually climbing up the winding staircase in Celestia’s tower to arrive at her chambers. The alicorn opened the door with a touch of her magic, and the pair stepped in.

The circular bedroom was just as Twilight remembered it – a huge golden rug lay in the center of the room upon the pale carpet, and a grand four-poster bed stood at the far end. A pair of floor to ceiling windows opened to a balcony, and the bookworm could see the breathtaking view of the vast landscape outside.

A side door led to the princess’s private bathroom, most of which was occupied by a Jacuzzi about the size of two alicorn-sized beds.

“In you get, Twilight,” said Princess Celestia with a radiant smile, levitating over some towels and various lotions.

“Oh, okay,” replied the unicorn, struggling out of her filthy bodysuit. She winced as she accidentally brushed over some of the cuts and scratches on her body, a result of the mishaps from the previous week. As she gingerly pulled off her bandage, the alabaster alicorn used her magic to nudge a switch on the wall, and the Jacuzzi started filling up with hot water.

Steam gradually rose from the bath, filling the room. Twilight slowly trotted down the steps in the tub, immersing herself so that only her head poked out. The warmth relaxed her tensed muscles, which were aching due to her overworking and lack of sleep. She rested her chin on the brink, half hoping to doze off, but the sight of her mentor reminded her that she should not.

“Twilight, which shampoo would you like to use? Rose or lavender?” asked Princess Celestia, holding up two bottles for her pupil to see.

“Um, lavender?” Twilight gulped. When is she going to leave so I can finish washing quickly, isn’t her court going to start soon? I want to spend as much time with her as I can…

“Okay,” said the princess, squeezing the shampoo right into her hoof. She sat down beside the tub, right in front of Twilight, dipping her hooves inside to moisten the shampoo, and then reached to Twilight’s head-

The librarian’s jaw dropped. No. It can’t be! She wants to wash my mane for me? “But, but Princess!” she protested weakly, but the massage that the slender hooves were now administering on her scalp was so soothing, melting all that was left of the tension that had built up since meeting her future self, that she could only close her eyes, quietly enjoying the sensation.

------------

Twilight leaned against the wall of the Jacuzzi, powerful jets of water kneading her back. Her mentor had left her to complete her bath in privacy, and she had done so in a hurry, lathering her whole body with the fastest speed possible for fear that the princess’s schedule might abruptly end their time together. She waited until the remaining suds had been rinsed off then pulled herself out, her coat wet and dripping.

Grabbing the towels Celestia had placed beside the tub, she vigorously rubbed herself dry, and then wrapped one around her head. Trotting out the bathroom, she saw that the solar goddess was resting on the rug, reading some scrolls.

“You’re pretty fast,” said the alicorn, adjusting her position on the rug so that Twilight would have space to sit down beside her. “I was just reading some of your friendship reports.”

“Um, wow,” said Twilight, a bit shyly. She settled beside her mentor, feeling the softness of the rug and the warmth of the mare beside her. “So well, I was thinking-”

Suddenly her surroundings swirled around her, vertigo overwhelming her like a tidal wave. Then, the world went black.