• Published 20th Oct 2013
  • 9,862 Views, 249 Comments

The Tale of One Shadow - RadBunny



Sombra was a much more complicated pony than history lent him credit. The Crystal Heart having freed him from the clutches of his own creation, Sombra now tries to find his place in the world. But can he escape the shadow of the past?

  • ...
6
 249
 9,862

Chapter Fourteen: Crystals Rising

An unnatural beeping permeated Sombra’s thoughts, but despite the sound, the stallion slept on for a time. It was only the smell of freshly baked rolls, and the sweet fragrance of a sort of tea that roused him out of his slumber. The hospital walls glowed with a soft blue light, the dulled crystal providing an aura of calm as he woke. Memories flickered across the pony’s consciousness; explosions, a painful twisting in his heart of helplessness…
That demon had dared mock him.

Where was it? Usually it would be here in his sleep, taunting Sombra’s mind with images of the past, tormenting him with past transgressions.

Where is it? Laughing at me, at my failures. I wasn’t strong enough, so what did I do!?

“You saved them, you know? Glowing as bright as the sun; I think a few rescue workers almost bowed at such a sight.” A calm voice floated over to Sombra’s ears, as though picking up on his troubled thoughts.

“Only casualties were from the initial blast, and a few who were too far buried. Most of them you carried out yourself. My name is Soothing Balm; I was there when you did...whatever it was that saved everyone. Do you remember anything?” The kind mare asked, clad in a simple medical outfit as she looked over a few charts, carefully feeding the stallion a bit of the roll and tea.

“Just, feeling helpless, and then I did something. So much power-how long was I out?” Sombra asked between bites.
“About two days. You’ve had quite a few interesting individuals visit you. The prince and princess, and even the erm,other princesses.” Soothing spoke with genuine awe in her tone.
“Why visit me? I just helped….” The stallion muttered, shaking his head and wincing. He ached all over, but other than that, not too worse for wear, especially considering the circumstances.

“The only reason so many ponies are alive is because of you.” Soothing replied calmly, then let out a soft giggle.
“Oh, there has been a pony hovering over your side for the past few days; I almost thought she was a nurse a few times.”

At a signal from the nurse, Amber quickly trotted in, tears in her eyes. Sombra almost got up to hug the distraught mare, only able to sit up against the now-slanted bed, but then his eyes met hers.
Sombra’s heart felt as though it would burst from his chest. Moving to his side, Amber wrapped her forelimbs around his upper barrel, only hesitating for a split second before pressing her lips to his.
If only he could go back in time to tell himself how worth it all of his trials had been, if for but this moment.

The smell of mountain berries danced across his nose; her favorite perfume. Not too heavy, but enough to turn his head every time. Amber’s kiss was warm, filling the stallion from head to hoof with a comfort and resolution that outshone any artificial motivation. The taste of salt lingered on Sombra’s own lips; Amber had been crying.
He gently broke the kiss, Sombra resting his nose against Amber’s, his eyes meeting the mare’s once again.

A medal from the two Princess’s, or a knighting from Cadence or Shining Armor would pale in comparison to the emotions dancing in those two beautiful orbs that looked back into his. Unshed tears threatened to spill over, but only shimmered on Amber’s eyelids as she managed a smile, a soft blush on her cheeks.
It wasn’t horror, despair, or sadness that shone in Amber’s eyes, but emotions that. The mare’s eyes radiated hope, wonder, and an emotion that Sombra dared not try to name out of sheer reference. Could it be-?

“You’re back. Y-you’re-y-you’re….” Crystal stammered, not able to stop the tears spilling from her eyes as she spoke.
“The stallion that captured my heart, royal guard and all.”

Sombra stiffened, and against better judgment swung all four hooves to the ground. The twinges of pain were overridden by Amber’s presence as he took a few steps to rest his neck against hers.
“I saw you walking from the ruins, I hadn’t seen you like that since before…” She whispered, now crying into her fur, but no sadness decorated her words, only pride and affection.
“You always wanted to protect ponies. I haven’t forgotten how many hours I helped you practice to get into the training sessions.” Amber’s voice fell quiet as she let out half a sigh, half shaky laugh, clearly exhausted.

“T-the demon, its gone, isn’t it? You killed it.” Her words were more of a statement as Sombra guided Amber Leaf to a small waiting couch, settling down next to the exhausted mare.
“I used it. I wasn’t strong enough to save them, but it was. I took its power, used it for myself.” The stallion’s words were slightly halting as he thought out loud, the full impact of what had transpired finally sinking in.
I used the demon, its power to save ponies. I can finally save ponies….

Rather than be overwhelmed, Sombra couldn’t help but grin, letting out a gentle breath as Amber fell into a doze on his shoulder. His body wanted to go on a run after resting for two days, but the mare’s presence was better than any anesthetic. Sombra’s eyes rested on a pile of letters next to his bed; one of which bore the royal insignia, and that of a royal guard application.

A familiar pink alicorn poked her head into the hospital room, and had to suppress a chuckle at seeing the two ponies asleep on the couch. A sly smile meandered onto her features as she returned to the central castle.
Shining’s guard instincts had been well placed. Sombra had little idea how much they needed his help. They had figured out what the explosives had been composed of…and that was just the beginning. If Sombra could harness the power of a demon, as Celestia and Luna had surmised, then the sooner they intervened the better.

Author's Note:

IT LIVES!
So. Had a few ideas.
Strange things are motivators...fellow writers out there know this..

Thought I'd get this scene out ASAP. Thank you so much for those who have commented with edits; I'll get about to modifying those as soon as possible.
Let me know what you think of this chapter; things are going to start picking up!