• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 5,340 Views, 200 Comments

The Dragonborn Chronicles: Part 1 - Ponies in Skyrim - Barix123



Twilight Sparkle finds an ancient book in her library about teleportation magic. After an experiement gone wrong she and her friends find themselves in a strange land with new friends and make some new enemies.

  • ...
22
 200
 5,340

Chapter 5 - The Speedy Assassin

The Speedy Assassin

The next few days were going by slower than others. Barix had to stay in bed to heal and he refused to use his own magic to do so. Twilight was helpful in that department. Rarity was done with the rest of the armor sets so all Barix needed to do was figure out what job he wanted to do next. He was thinking about what Paarthurnax had said about being on the right path. Twilight wants to read books so the college would be the next best step. It was night and he still had no idea what to do. Rainbow Dash was really annoying about bringing her next, to shut her up he thought he might just do that. At least he was fully healed now. They all decide to retire for the night.

It was in the middle of the night when Barix wakes to the sound of thunder. He thinks nothing of it and tries to back to sleep when he hears the small but unmistakable sound of a creaking wooden floor board. He gets up slowly taking two daggers he hid under his bed. One he straps to his leg, one he holds at the ready.

“LAAS! YAH! NIR!”

With his most useful whisper everything was now visible to him. Walking through the house he saw Lydia in her bed and the ponies in theirs. Further investigation turned up nothing, the air doesn’t even hold any unfamiliar scent. He continues to scan the house with his Aura Whisper faded and still can’t find anything. He ends his search in the front hallway. He finds the door is slightly open all the way.

He walks to it slowly and quietly when he hears another creak, turning around he tries to stab the intruder but he is quickly disarmed then he is kicked in the chest getting thrown out the front door. He gets up in a second while grabbing his extra dagger. As he goes in for the kill a lightning bolt strikes near, lighting the area. Barix stops his dagger inches away from the familiar face. It takes a few seconds for Barix to pull the dagger away.

“Nazir.”

“Barix.”

“Oh come now that hurts my feelings. Look I’ll skip the pleasantries but I need you to take another job.”

“That’s too bad, you know I don’t kill anymore.”

“Like you did with the silver hand a few days ago.”

“I see spying is still your main skill.” He walks past his old acquaintance and quietly shuts the door, unaware of the creature spying on the inside wall. “What did I tell you when I left? I said I’m done as in no more killing.”

“I wouldn’t have come to you if this wasn’t of dire consequence. I’m not asking you as a former superior but as a friend in need.”

Barix stood there thinking the situation threw. It was a job, one he was good at but hated very much. Two to one, the next question would decide for him.

“Who’s the target this time?”

“It’s an argonian named Gulum-Ei. He has information on the entire brotherhood and threats to expose us. Our efforts to…‘silence him’ have ended in failure, he now knows we are after him and has taken steps to make sure he stays alive. That’s why we need you and your unique abilities to take him out.”

Barix thinks about this hard. He remembers when he met Gulum-Ei during his time in the Thieves Guild. He is a slimy dealer that would screw over anyone as long as it serves his own purpose. He truly did deserve to die, and it would be Barix who does it.

“…Is he still hiding in the caves behind the East Trading Company?”

“Yes. Here’s the contract.” Barix noticed the reward on it was high. “This is a high stakes kill and must be done as fast as you can. You should be able to get it done with your new assistant.” He looks at Nazir in confusion.

“What do you mean assistant? I don’t have one.”

“Then who is it that’s been listening to our conversation.” He points above them in the dark.

It was tough to make out but there was a shadow against the building. Another lightning strike lit up the figure for all to see, it was a cyan blue colored mare with a rainbow mane and tail.

“Hey no fair how did you know I was here.” She floats down using her wings. “I was completely stealthy.”

“Rainbow Dash you three seconds to explain yourself before I snap your neck.”

“Hey whoa whoa whoa, why are you getting so aggressive?”

“Because you were host to a meeting to the dark brotherhood, as per their rules you should be dead right now.”

“Hold on Barix, she may be able to help you with this job.” Nazir spoke up.

“What?” Barix responded.

“I didn’t notice her until the middle of our talk, you only noticed her because I told you. Look I’m not telling you how to do the job, I’m only suggesting she could help, I never hurts to have some extra help, especially on a case like this.”

Barix stood there a moment thinking if it would really work. He looks to the multi-colored mare.

“Rainbow Dash, what do you say?”

“I don’t mind. In fact I’d rather go out and do stuff rather than stay around here all cooped up and bored.”

“…Alright, I’ll take the job and take her with me.” He told the assassin.

“Good to hear, do you still have your uniform?”

“Yes. I’ll leave first thing in the morning.” Barix turns to his friend. “Rainbow Dash, wake Rarity and bring her to the basement, I’ll explain later.”

“Ok but what about hi-” she noticed Nazir has disappeared, “what, where did he go?”

“He’s an assassin, he’s good at that. Now go get Rarity.”

Rainbow Dash quietly woke her friend and both headed down to the basement, that is, after an hour of Rarity fixing her mane. Barix was sitting in the first room at the table in a different uniform other than his armor. It was a red and black suit-type of clothing with fine black stitching and dark highlights. It was also fitted with a hood and a front face mask, both were pulled down for the moment. A matching set sat on the table.

“Rarity, I’m sorry for waking you so early in the morning, but I have an urgent request.”

“It is alright darling, what do you need me to do?”

“This an old uniform for a specific group but now I need it to be fitted for Rainbow Dash.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem at all, here let me see them.” She took the cloths in next room getting to work on the work bench.

“So what’s going to happen to my other armor, I mean it looks a lot better than that piece of cloth. It doesn’t seem very useful…or cool looking.”

“It’s meant to keep you hidden, you’re not supposed wear it in battle. Just do what you did during the meeting and you’ll be just fine.”

“Aww but that was kind of boring, we better be doing something fun.”

Barix was silent. It wasn’t much longer before Rarity came back with the red and black cloths.

“That was fast.” Barix complimented.

“Oh that old thing was nothing. You should see me when I have an order for a famous celebrity. Have fun you two.”

Rainbow put on the cloths. It still looked very similar to the one Barix had on. The glove fingers were taken out and closed up, all the extra slack was cut away, hugging her figure tightly. Barix thought this interesting but had to look away for a minute for an unexplained reason. The excess pieces were made into a modified neck piece to cover for having a longer neck and a slightly larger hood. The only thing wrong was that there wasn’t enough to cover her tail which was swaying back and forth fully uncovered.

Barix took a two daedra daggers. Mostly due to Rarity on one of her matching set rants. Dash was given two daedra daggers as well, Rarity was able to perform the sticky spell on them. The assassins both set out immediately.

Rainbow was complaining about food not one minute from the house. It was still dark out but Barix was able to see some berry bushes and some eatable flowers as they pass. They walked along the main road but hid from any guard they happened to encounter. Dawn comes when Dash couldn’t take much more.

“Ok, can you tell me where we’re going? I mean we’ve been walking like forever.”

“I’ve been walking, you’ve been flying.”

“Yeah, ok, but that doesn’t answer my question.”

“We are headed to Solitude, just outside of it to be more precise.”

“Are we really going to kill somepony?” Barix looked at her quizzically. “Oh right in mean some…one. Uhg, it just sounds too weird.”

“Yes we are.”

“I’m not sure I can actually do that.”

“Is that so?”

“Well I’ve been in a couple of fights before but I’ve never killed anypo-…anyone.”

“You are an interesting one Rainbow Dash.”

“How so?”

“When I took Applejack with me she didn’t hesitate to attack the bandits we encountered in Bleak Falls Barrow.”

“It may not seem it but we are very different.”

“I can tell. One of my talents is studying how others act and react to different situations. Just part of the assassin trade I guess, but I can tell how to help you with the upcoming events.”

“How?”

“The person, or more specifically the lizard, we are going to kill is nothing short of a double crosser and a thief.”

“Like that makes a difference.”

“How do you figure?”

“I may not be as smart as my friends but it doesn’t take a genius to tell you have been doing this for a long time. I can’t help but wonder one thing, what right do you have taking another’s life even if that one po-er, lizard guy, is a bad po-person.”

“…I ask myself that question every time I take a life.”

“Then why do it at all? Look I’m not trying to take you down a peg, you seem like a really nice guy. Heck you protected Fluttershy with your own life, that’s good enough for me. It’s just…you don’t seem like the type to do something like this.”

“Tell you what, if you really want to know the whole story about me and the brother hood I’ll tell you after the job is done. You have my word.”

“Ok, I know how good you are with your word but could also pinkie promise too, that way I know you really mean it.”

“Do what?”

“Pinkie promise like this.” She was doing the motions that came so fluently to her. “Cross my heart, and hope to fly, still a cupcake in my eye. There, see?”

“ ‘sign’ And you won’t leave me alone until I do it will you?”

“Yep.”

“Fine. Cross my heart…hope to fly…stick a cupcake…in my-OOOWWW! BY THE NINE! DAM IT!” Barix didn’t close his eye leaving it exposed for him to poke. Dash was on the ground laughing hysterically.

“Ha ha ha ha ha…ok there genius…I think that was good enough for now…let’s get moving.” She had to pause now and then to catch her breath.

As they continued to walk, Barix had to rub his eye for a good minute before it was good. They had to take the long way around towns to avoid suspicion from the public. It had taken them the whole day but they made it to the edge of the gulf that makes the Solitude Port.

“So how do we get across? Walk around?”

“No, I have a little trick I like to use for situations like this. Watch.”

Barix starts to get covered in green flames. He is quickly engulfed in the flames, but just as quickly they came they disappeared. Rainbow didn’t have time to react until it was all over. The one big thing that stood out was his looks.

“Barix, is that you?”

“Yeah it’s me Rainbow Dash, I’m just an argonian now, a lizard.”

“That is just so…so AWSOME! How can you do that?!”

“I’m not sure how long I’ve had it but I can turn into different species or people.”

“Ooo, ooo, ooo. Do me, do me.”

“Rainbow Dash, we don’t have time for that.”

“Ok fine, but you know…you can just call me Dash, ok?”

“Alright, now the plan of entrance……it’s dark out so you fly overhead I’ll swim to the docks. No one should be able to see you even with your tail, if you see someone that I don’t knock them out no killing until we get inside. Got it.”

“Got it.” With a salute she took off.

Barix dove into the water and began swimming to the docks. Being an argonian, it only took a minute. He swam right under the bridge close to the door. He looks on it to see a dock worker, he gets up on the dock behind the worker, quietly as ever, and knocks him out. Looks around one last time to see Rainbow hover with another worker. With Barix giving the signal they head inside with their victims.

Laying them on the side Barix walks forward into the familiar surroundings. Dash flew up high near the cave ceiling while Barix was jumping quickly and quietly between the high shelves. He weaves through the shelves high above the workers below. He stops above the hidden entrance as he signals his accomplice to move in, they enter the secret passage without notice.

When they got in voices were heard immediately.

“Ok Dash, here’s how it’s going to go,” Barix began whispering the plan to Rainbow, “You’ll fly up, I’ll stay low. We’ll work together to take out the groups one at a time, ok?”

“Gotch ya.” With that she quietly flies up near the ceiling and Barix slips into the water.

The two assassins made their way through the cave ‘dealing’ with every group they came across. They started out slow, Rainbow was hesitant to help but quickly adjusted. Barix would strike from the bottom as Rainbow does from above. It didn’t take long for the two to reach the end of the cave.

At a distance they could see the end of the cave. The walls were lined with various, likely stolen, items that looked like it was ready to sell. In the center, four mercenaries stood or sat around a small fire. One last figure stuck out like a sore thumb. It was Gulum-Ei. Barix ginned devilishly.

“What do we do now?” The multi-colored mare quietly asked.

Barix observed his surroundings for possibilities.

“Ok Dash, here’s the plan. I’ll go left behind the crates and you go right. When the time is right we’ll take out two mercenaries at the same time then go for the next two before they can react. That will leave Gulum-Ei defenseless. Ready?”

“Ready” Rainbow replies.

They don their masks and sneak over to the places. Barix could feel his lust for death boil fast. Dash was just about in place when her tail was snagged on a loose nail. Celestia, dam it. Why does this have to happen now? As she yanks it out the nail comes with it, making a few dings as it hits the wooden boards.

“What was that?” One of the hired thugs ask.

Two of them close in on the huddled mare. Barix knew how to fix the problem but was concerned about what Dash would think. She was seconds away from being found out when he went through with his plan. His eye’s turned a deep green as he manipulated the shadows to his will. Four shadow blades sprang up in front of the four, now confused, mercenaries. The blades shot through their chests picking them up in the process. They dangled in the air barely able to mask their pain. The thief stood there in the middle of it all completely shocked.

Rainbow didn’t know why she wasn’t found yet but heard the muffled sounds of pain. She poked her head out to see what was going on to catch the worst scene that might scare her for life. All four of the thugs were suspended in the air with a dark sword in their chests. Then, out of nowhere, all of their heads exploded in a violent red and pink blur. As they drop to the ground Gulum-Ei turns to run but halts to see a figure in front. Barix stands before him covered in the assassin garbs, the only thing to show is the green eyes that are filled with hate.

“P-please. Let me go, I’ll make it worth your while. I was never going to release any info on you, I just wanted the brotherhood off my trail. You must understa-ugg.” He was silenced by Barix choking the thief hard.

Barix lifted him in the air, relishing in the sound of his suffering. Once he had enough he takes one of his daggers and stabs the thief in the back of the head then drags it down, splitting the spine several times. The glow of his eyes faded and he drops the lifeless corpse. The next thing he laid his eyes on was a terrified Rainbow Dash, her face completely uncovered giving him full view for the fear on her face.

“Dash-” He advances on her but stops after she backs away. Staying put this time he speaks again. “I’m…sorry you had to see that.” He decides to have a seat next to the fire. “The job is done…so if you still want to hear it…”

It took Rainbow a minute to calm down and another to make her way over to the fire. She made sure to sit on the opposite side.

“It started after I left a group known as the Companions. I came across a rumor in a town about some kid trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood, a clan of assassins. After a…misunderstanding I was caught by them and was asked to join. I saw it as a way to hone some of my skills. Things went well for a time but…let’s just say things took a turn for the worst. The brotherhood was almost destroyed. After I helped set it back up in a new location I left. It wasn’t on the best of turns but none the less, the rest of the brotherhood stayed away and out of my business, until that night you saw Nazir.”

The story wasn’t that amazing to Dash but she was still having a hard time dealing with what she saw before. The silence was getting awkward.

“We should get some sleep…we have a long day tomorrow.”

With that Barix looks in the crates for a minute and pulls out two sleeping bags. He set one next to Rainbow all the while she kept her gaze on him taking a step back as he came close. Before Barix got comfortable he turns back to normal. He fell asleep well enough but the rainbow mare was having trouble.

It must have been hours since Rainbow closed her eyes. Sleep was hard to get. It wasn’t long after the fifth time she woke up that she heard Barix move around. She turns to look at him and sees him shaking on the mat. Against her better judgment the rainbow mare slowly walks over to him, fear being reinforced by the nightmares he might be having. Gently she taps her hoof against the shoulder of the sleeping assassin.

“Barix…are you ok.”

As soon as she touched him, Barix got up so fast that even Dash had a hard time keeping up. Before she knew it she was against a wall with a dagger to her throat. Barix stared at her with his bright green eyes. Her blood ran cold as her heart stops.

“Barix…you don’t want to do this…just put down the knife.” Rainbow brought a hoof to his face. “Shhh, it’s ok. There’s nothing here.”

Barix felt all the hate and rage leave. As his eye’s turned back to normal. Before Rainbow could say anything else, he drops the dagger and embraces the confused mare.

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry Rainbow.”

Rainbow could feel her shoulder become wet fast. She understood fully now and hugs him in return.

“It’s ok now. We all have our demons. The trick is overcoming them and moving on.”

“Wow Dash, didn’t think you were one to get emotional.”

“And if you tell anyone, I’ll kick your flank.”

Barix began to laugh off the situation.

“Wait…what?”



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



It was early morning when the two set off for their next destination. Dash noticed it wasn’t in the normal direction from home. When she asked all Barix would say it was a secret location. They arrived in a town called Dawnstar. They took a walk outside the town limits behind a small rocky hill to find a very creepy looking door. Barix is the first to go up to it.

“Innocence, my brother.”

The door cracks open. As they walk in Rainbow takes notice of the old style building. The distant screams of plea’s and pain were heard throughout the hideaway. They came to a sort of meeting area. There sat Nazir and a little girl.

“Nazir, I’m back.” The girl hands Nazir a small bag of coins.

“Really? You placed a bet on me?”

“Nothing much, but on to real business. Do you have the evidence?”

“Here,” Barix reaches into his outfit and pulls out a folder, “It’s everything I could find, and everyone at the scene is dead.”

“Good work as always. I expected no less.”

“Wow you’re so pretty.” The assassins turn to see the little girl hugging the cyan mare.

“Uh, thanks. I know I’m awesome, you don’t have to say it.”

“You smell good too.”

“That’s…good to hear.”

“Bitch if you so much as lick her,
you’re going to get a spike through your head.” The girl backs off.

“Hopefully I’ll see you later.” Dash was speechless as she saw into the girls eyes.

“Let’s get going Dash.” That brought her back. Without any trouble they left the hidden base. Nazir turns to the girls.

“Did you really think he would let you get a taste test on her?”

“It was worth a try.”

Barix and Rainbow headed back to the house. She thought it was best not to ask what that girl was…just in case. Before they got onto the main road Barix and Dash took off their uniforms in separated bushes and put them in a satchel. Barix had put on normal cloths with a sword tied to his side. It was getting dark halfway into their trip so they decide to stop in Whiterun. Barix said he has a second house in the city.

As Dash was getting familiar with the place Barix set out to the markets to sell some equipment and get some food. He brought back some bowls of Apple Cabbage Stew with some Sweet Rolls, the excited mare was practically drooling. As they ate a courier came by the house to drop off a message.

“What does it say?”

“It seems General Tullius wants to see me. You don’t know him he’s-”

“The general of the Imp’s or something right?”

“…Imperials. And how did you know?”

“Applejack told us but I didn’t pay much attention.”

“Oh, well we should get some sleep. We still have a long walk in the morning.”


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



As they left in the morning Barix had a bad feeling, one that was in the air. Rainbow didn’t pay much mind to it or just didn’t notice. It was along the path, after Riverwood, when it happen. Barix grabs Dash and jumps under a large, shaded tree.

“Hey! What’s the big idea!?” She yells in protest but all Barix does is look at her with death in his eyes. Not green but almost enough to kill.

She gets the hint and stops talking. He takes to looking up in the sky as Dash notices just how close she was to Barix. Not a second later something very large soared past above them, as it left the wind tore around them and blew it in their face. When the wind died down Dash took a look in the direction that thing was traveling in and saw a large dragon fly away.

“Wow…a dragon.”

“You have them back home?”

“Yeah but they normally stay away from the cities and towns.”

“Not here. Let’s go before it decides to circle around again.”

“I thought you were the dragonborn. Destroyer on dragons, concurer of evil, defender of good and all that junk.”

“I am but I need my best armor with me and the best weapons I could have. Plus if I have to make sure you don’t get hurt I won’t come out of this alive. Now let’s move.”

With swift feet…and hooves…they reached the manor without problem. It was early evening. Everyone was outside waiting for Rainbow Dash and Barix. Her friends bounced on her in a group hug.

“Great with timing as usual Lydia.”

“Thanks. So are you going to tell me what happened or is this another secret?”

“There’s nothing to tell. I was just putting my past behind me.”