• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 5,340 Views, 200 Comments

The Dragonborn Chronicles: Part 1 - Ponies in Skyrim - Barix123



Twilight Sparkle finds an ancient book in her library about teleportation magic. After an experiement gone wrong she and her friends find themselves in a strange land with new friends and make some new enemies.

  • ...
22
 200
 5,340

Chapter 11 - Friend or Foe

Chapter 11 - Friend or Foe

Twilight and her friends were looking over the remains of the forsworn camp that, just a day ago, was home to about twenty or so forsworn followers. They look through the tents and under neath rock for any sign of a secret passageway. But to no avail. Seeing the dead bodies made some of the ponies cringe with disgust but were no worse for wear. Barix had come back from patrolling the surrounding camp for any signs. Still in his werewolf form the group massed around him. Twilight was the first to speak up.

“Did you find anything?”

“Yes. A scent trail of them was left behind."

"Yay!”

“Wonderful!”

“The trail is very weak so we have to move if we have a chance of finding them.” Barix continued.

“You heard him girls, mount up.”

The four mares got on the newly summoned, and fully healed, Shadowmare and Arvak. Riding off into the distance, Barix lead the way. As the moved, Twilight could sense the power of a magical artifact. It wasn’t the mace. She made sure to give that to the daedric butler Barix had so it would be kept safe, being in his care she wouldn’t be able to sense the mace. She had the sneaking suspicion he had recently come across another one but decided against pushing the matter to focus on getting her friends back.

It was getting dark for the day and the group had travelled a long way. Traversing half of Skyrim itself, they stopped at a few places that Barix found had a concentrated amount of their scent. All leads turned up empty in the end.

Camp had been set up in some small ruins after taking out the spriggan that resided inside. The weak efforts from Fluttershy trying to get it to calm down didn’t help very much, it fact it only served to anger it further.

As the four mares were busy setting up makeshift beds out of leaves and moss stitched together by Twilight’s magic, Barix was behind a corner getting on some normal clothes after finally being able to transform back into his human state. He came back around to see five beds already made.

“I didn’t know how long you’d be so I made yours.” The empty bed was placed right next to Twilight.

“Thank you.”

“So you’re the expert on this, where do we go from here?” Rarity asks.

“We’re getting closer to them. That much I do know.”

“No offence but that’s what you said every time we came across something they might be in. Like the abandon castle or the these ruins.”

“Ooo, ooo. Don’t forget the tree stump next to those broke down logs.” Pinkie adds to worst of the findings to Twilight comment.

“(cough) Yes...well, this time really is different. I can smell them without being in my wolf form. I’d say they are less than a mile out.”

“If that’s the case then why don’t we go get them now before whoever has them prisoner decides to move them again?”

“There are several reasons for that. One, I might be able to turn into a Khajiit that can see in the dark but you can’t and having a light spell or anything would give you away. Two, this is obviously a ruse to get to me, or in other words-”

“-A trap!” Realization washing over, not just Twilight, but the others as well.

“Exactly. Being in top form is key at this point. And finally, there’s nothing to suggest that this being is out for blood from anyone.”

“What do you mean by that?” Twilight asks.

“If they wanted blood why would they go through the hassle of taking Rainbow and Applejack, moving them to several locations, and trying to lead me to them. They were baiting us, or at least me, from the beginning. The question is why.”

“I’m sure we can figure that out later. You mentioned being in top form, well I know I can’t face anypony until I get my beauty sleep.”

“Good idea. We’ll get there in the morning and ambush this thing when it’s most vulnerable.”

“Somehow I get the feeling it’ll be ambushing us.” Barix said mostly to himself so the others couldn’t hear.

The group of traveling warrior's lay to rest for the coming day ahead. Getting up they felt well rested and ready to move. True to what Barix said, it didn’t take long for them to reach the latest building where Rainbow and AJ were. It was a rundown old tower that had many vines growing from the sides. Twilight's curiosity was the first to present itself.

“They’re in here?”

“Yes, I can hear Rainbow snoring at the top.”

“What are we waiting for?! Let’s go!”

Pinkie ran through the doors before her friends could stop her. Try as they might, they couldn’t catch up to her, nor could their plea’s stop the excited pony in the lead. When they got to the top, Pinkie froze. The others came in right behind her. What they saw made them all very confused.

Applejack was laying down drawing figures on the ground with the stick that was in her mouth. Rainbow Dash was on her back, right next to the country mare, sleeping with a light snore. Both of them were in a rusty looking cage. Just by a glance, the rescue team could tell the two mares were in the own worlds, so to speak.

“What in Equestria are you two doing?”

“Waiting for you.”

None of them had seen the being come into view or where this assassin had come from. Barix gathered he was one due to the Dark Brotherhood garbs he was sporting and from the obvious male Khajiit accent. Two daedric axes were fitted very professionally on his back. Twilight noticed that Applejack hadn’t moved to look at them, as if nothing was happening around her.

“Why did you do this?” Barix put a tad more bark in his voice than would have liked.

“Because White Fang was tasked to test your resolve in rescuing these ponies.” The Khajiit let down his hood to reveal his face. It somewhat resembled that of white tiger looking like it was ready to pounce on it’s prey. “You took longer than White Fang was hoping for. Hermaeus Mora will not be pleased about this.”

“So that’s who sent you. This plan was a little odd for any one person to come up with.”

“Um…Twilight? Who’s this Hernman Morre?” Fluttershy was half hiding behind her lavender friend and half behind Barix.

“Hermaeus Mora. That’s the Daedric Prince of knowledge and memory here in Tamriel.”

“That is correct young one.” White Fang’s gaze never left Barix. “Your friend here needed to be tested before my master could sent him a message and a mission. But it seems White Fang needs to use an alternate form of testing to come to a conclusion.” He had then drawn on of his axes from behind his back, ready to strike.

“Fine, I don’t mind skinning a cat today.” Barix had taken out his own blade, the dragonbone sword from his side.

“Barix...be careful.”

“Don’t get hurt darling.”

“Yeah, stick it to him!”

“You have some supportive friends. They will lend you many hooves on your adventures, if you have any left after today.”

“I’m surprised you’re coming out in front to fight me honorably. Normally you cowards like to stab others in the back. Then again that is a stereotype most of your race has.”

As the two walk in an invisible circle showing off some weapon handling skills, they continued to trash talk. As the first stage of one on one fighting had completed, they run forward trying to get in the first blow. Countering strike for strike they stood firm and unmoving. That is until White Fang picked up his assault on Barix, making the dragonborn move back.

“SU!”

Barix had picked up speed in his swings moving even faster than his counterpart. The pair keep up the pressure doing their very best not to let the other gain the advantage. Barix used his other shouts from Elemental Fury, and White Fang had to pull out his other axe. Little did the dragonborn know that his enemy was secretly weakening his sword for the perfect strike. Even though the two ponies in the cage weren’t looking, or didn’t know what was going on, the other four friends were on the each of their metaphorical seats.

Pinkie was hyped to the Nth degree, Fluttershy was hiding behind her mane, Rarity was biting her hooves away to nothing, and Twilight Sparkle was silently praying to whatever god would listen to her. As it would seem that they were tied White Fang gave one last double swing to the sword splitting it in half. Barix, in turn, staggers back as his friends all gave a collective gasp. Giving a kick to his chest, Barix was sent flying back into the wall, then dropping to the ground. He was able to look up to see the Khajiit walking towards him. Barix got to his feet, as quick as he could, for one last attempt at seizing victory.

“FUS!”

White Fang had to do very little, only cut the shock wave with a flick of his wrist to cancel out his power. All of them stood silent. Complete shock had taken control of the group. Barix didn’t know what else to do. Nothing had ever been able to block his shouts, at least not so easily and some didn’t live to tell the tale. Barix had finally met his match.

“Well done dragonborn. You have successfully passed your test.” The Khajiit warrior put away his weapons, then motioned toward the cage.

The magical barrier that was around it dissipated. A confused looking Applejack and just as confused, newly awoken, Rainbow Dash was what remained. Confusion written on their face like words in a book.

“What in Tarnation!”

“What the hey is going on!”

“Now dragonborn White Fang have one last thing for you before he departs.” Barix was still trying to get over the fact that his failsafe power was trumped so easily, it took him a second to realize a very large book was given to him. “This book is one called the Oghma Infinium. It is one of the Daedric Artifacts and a gift from my master. Use it well dragonborn.”

“But...why are you doing this for me? Also how were you able to block my shout?”

“You have your training, and White Fang has his. For now I bid you farewell.”

The assassin warrior points to the side of the tower walls. There wasn’t anything interesting there, unless you count interesting as a cracked wall with some mold and a heavy layer of dust. Turning back the group realized what had happened, White Fang had flead.

“Dammit! ...I hate it when others do that.”

“Worry bout him later.” AJ said as she bucks the bars down with ease then makes her way over to Barix, as well as the others. “Ah can tell ya, Dash here is more of ah threat than he is. So, what’s this book supposed ta do anyhow?”

“Not too sure, but I’m thinking it’s a Daedric Artifact if it really did come from Hermaeus Mora. Twilight, can you hold onto it for now? I don’t think I want to open it just yet.”

“Ok.” Twilight took it in her magical grasp and was about to put it into her satchel when a small piece of paper fell out of it. “Hey, what’s this?”

Securing the book to her side the unfolds the parchment as the group of friends gather behind them.

“Why, this is a map.”

“A map of Skyrim.”

“What are those X’s for?”

“Oh, please don’t tell me what ah think it is.”

“This is going to be so fun! We get to go on treasure hunt! ...Oh no! I left my party search hat back home!” Pinkie was, of course a ittle too excited.

“And I can feel the headache already. Let’s get moving before the sun sets. We can figure out where they are on the go.”

They all agreed to that notion. Especially Rainbow Dash who wanted to stretch out her wings. Twilight was examining the map as the group march onwards while the rest catch up on what happened with each other. The funniest part of it was how Rainbow was treating her captor while they were on the move, always complaining and giving him a headache. Pinkie found this especially funny.

Gears began to turn in Rarity’s and AJ’s minds, both knowing what the other was thinking but held off saying anything for now. They needed to get more info on Barix and what he thinks before saying anything. Twilight had a few thing to say to Barix as they walked.

“Hey Barix, It looks like one of these X’s are really close to us. We can probable get to it before sunset and stay for the night.”

“Sounds good, as long as you want to sleep on the ground of whatever we find.”

“I’m sure that won’t be a problem. But I do have one more thing to ask. Why were you tracking down RD and AJ when you, Rarity or me could just have easily used the spell Clairvoyance to easily find them.”

“...(sign). I can’t give you a good reason other than my werewolf instincts took over. Don’t know what else to say. Things like that normally happen to me. Enough to get really annoying.”

“Hey you two! Get a move on it!” Rainbow Dash shouts from far ahead.

Barix and Twilight look ahead to see their friends running away. Rarity took the lead with the map in her magical grasp with Pinkie Pie right behind. Most likely the one hyping up everyone into getting to the first objective. Reluctantly the two runner-ups start their fast track to catch up.

As the friends are quick getting to their destination, thoughts of home flood their heads with the promise of seeing loved ones yet again.

Author's Note:

Introducing a new spin-off character! YAY!

Like it or don't I found a way to put this Skyrim OC in the story. Congrats Amethyst Sword.

I don't know if I will be able to add in anymore Skyrim OC's but if you'd like, give me what you got and I'll see if I can fit it in. The next few updates MAY be slow to come like this one. Bronycon, surgery, military stuff, things like that.