• Published 20th Oct 2013
  • 2,606 Views, 83 Comments

A Pegasus' Dream - PrincessDashie



Twilight Sparkle dreamed of having wings for the majority of her life, however immortality was not part of that dream. When Dash rejects her advances, Twilight decides failure is not an option...afterall...everypony deserves a second chance...right?

  • ...
12
 83
 2,606

Chapter 4 : Realization

Twilight bolted from her sleep, launching herself into the air, ultimately falling onto the floor, startling Princess Cadance who was abruptly awoken from her slumber.

“Oh my, Twilight!” she yelled as she frantically went to Twilight's aid, picking her off the ground and cradling her in her forelegs. “Are you ok Twilight?”

Twilight nodded, looking around the bedroom to get her bearings set. “I had a dweam... kinda bad one” she spoke, remembering the over-washing darkness that comprised the majority of her dream.

“You poor thing” Cadance cooed, as she carried Twilight out into the living room and placed her onto the couch. “How about I make us some dinner sweetie?” she asked, only to be immediately met with a satisfactory grin from Twilight.

“Yay!” She cheered. “Umm Cadance?”

“Yes sweetie?” Cadance replied.

Twilight fumbled her front hooves together, as she sat in silence. “Umm well... can you make that fwied gwass noodle salad? You know... the one with the wittle cherry tomatoes and the cwootons on top?”

Cadance smiled and nuzzled softly into Twilight's neck. “Sure thing sweetie” she whispered, before turning to head into the kitchen.

Once Cadance disappeared into the kitchen, Twilight walked to the window: unfurling her wings, she gently flew out, and took a seat on the roof. Laying down, she looked off into the distance: dusk had arrived, and the sun's last ray of light disappeared as it dipped beneath the horizon. She watched, as the stars appeared one by one, making their presence known throughout Equestria, if only for a few hours.

Twilight didn't have any friends, not that it bothered her or anything. Being a Pegasus in a Unicorn dominated society could have that impact, but perhaps it was more than that. Twilight watched as groups of ponies made their way home for the night, and as she watched them she couldn't help but think if having friends was really such a necessity.

After a few moments of star gazing, Twilight was pulled back into reality as a warm sensation hit the back of her neck.

“I knew I would find you up here silly” Cadance stated, causing Twilight to jump in surprise.

As she made contact with the roof once more, Twilight gained her composure as she relied to her foalsitter. “You scared me Cadance. Dat wasn't berry nice.”

Cadence chuckled as she took a seat next to Twilight. “So...” She began, while looking up into the starry sky, “what were you thinking about Twilight?”

A few moments passed and not a word was spoken between the two. Cadance watched Twilight as she in turn continued watching the last of the ponies on ground level disappear out of sight.

“What's fwiendship?” Twilight asked, utterly surprising Cadance.

Cadance froze in disbelief, not once had she ever thought twice about Twilight's lack of peers. “Well... friendship is... it's kind of like us....when... two or more ponies care for each other, almost like a family.”

Twilight pressed into Cadance's side, and continued staring into the sky. “Why do ponies wanna have fwiends?”

Cadance sat in silence for a few moments, gently rubbing twilight's side. “Well Twilight... I guess it's normal to want friends... otherwise, we would all be alone.”

Twilight turned to face Cadance. “But what about our famiwy?”

“Family is nice,” Cadance replied, “But... sometimes family alone isn't enough.”

“I don't understand,” Twilight said, returning to star at the stars.

“You will some day,” Cadance replied. She watched on as the stars glimmered in her young students' eyes. She enjoyed the peace her student felt as she looked on, as if waiting for the stars to pull her into the sky, to allow her to fly amongst them. “But for now, how about we go eat?” Cadance asked, standing up and pulling Twilight up onto her back.

★     ☆ ★     ☆ ★     ☆ ★

After dinner, Cadance cleaned up and escorted Twilight home for the night. Cadance carried Twilight in her forearms as she flew across Canterlot towards Twilight's home. Cadance flew slowly, taking in the sight's of the night sky, watching a few lone Pegasi fly by, undoubtedly on their way towards Cloudsdale.

As Cadance touched down in front of Twilight's home, Twilight Velvet was already waiting by the door for them. As Cadance approached, Velvets horn glowed a soft pink as Twilight was lifted from Cadance's arms, and hovered gently in front of her mother.

“Thank you for watching over her today Princess” Velvet said.

Cadance walked over and after giving Twilight a soft kiss on her forehead, she replied, “Please, you really don't have to refer to me as 'Princess'”

“Of course Cadance,” Velvet giggled. “Would you like to come in for tea?”

Shaking her head, Cadance replied, “no thank you, I really must be going home. I have a surprise for Twilight during her lessons tomorrow.”

“Oh?” Velvet giggled, “and what kind of surprise would that be?”

“Field trip!” Cadance squeed, as she slowly unfurled her wings. “I'll be by in the morning to pick Twilight up.”

Velvet nodded, as she turned to go inside. “Thanks Cadance,” she said, as she turned back around. “Thanks for putting so much effort in for Twilight, it means a lot to us.”

“There's really no need to thank me miss Velvet” Cadance replied. “I really enjoy spending time with Twilight, she's like the little sister I've always wanted, but never had.”

Smiling, Velvet sat Twilight softly on the grass, and hugged Cadance softly. “Thank you so much” she said through tears. “Twilight doesn't have anypony else. She has us, and you... we try to get her to play with the other fillies and colts at the park, but she insists on reading instead.”

“It's hard,” Cadance said. “It's hard growing up as a Pegasus in a Unicorn dominated society, trust me I have been through it.” Cadance slowly approached Twilight, who despite the chatter, remained in deep sleep, and placed her into her forelegs as she slowly flew above the ground. “Before I became an Alicorn, I was raised in an Earth Pony village.” She paused, taking a moment to nuzzle the filly in her forelegs. “I lived there for a few years, and like Twilight I did not have many friends, though for opposite reasons than Twilight. I wanted friends, but the other fillies and colts viewed me as an outsider, and would not come near me. Twilight on the other hand, just doesn't want friends... I assume since the ponies her age are Unicorns, they do not share much in common with her.”

“So...” Velvet began, “What do you suggest we do about Twilight? Cadance?”

“Well...” Cadance said, as she placed Twilight on her back. “My Auntie thinks if I introduce her to other Pegasi ponies, she may have a better time adapting. Tomorrow I will take her to Cloudsdale, and perhaps she can have a chance at being around ponies like herself. Friendship lessons, as my Auntie says.”

Velvet giggled as she approached Cadance, “would you like to put her to bed Cadance?”

Smiling, Cadance replied. “Yes.”

★     ☆ ★     ☆ ★     ☆ ★

“Twilight?”

“Twilight... can you hear me?”

A moment passed as Twilight opened her eyes. Her eyes widened as she began panicking as she floated through what she knew to be space. Flailing her legs, she cried as she floated aimlessly amongst the stars.

“Twilight, calm down.”

Twilight continued crying as a shadow of a black pony came into view and placed it's foreleg onto Twilight's. “It's ok, I'm here.”

Twilight sniffled, looking at her 'savior'. “You're.... fwom my dweam last night.”

“Indeed I am.” She replied, as she looked throughout the space that surrounded them. “I must say, I am rather impressed by the amount of detail in your soul plane. You really do love astronomy, don't you Twilight?”

Twilight nodded as she walked, or attempted to. “There's Canis Major” she said, as she pointed her foreleg in the direction she was talking. “And here is Monoceros, and Gemini”, she spoke as her face eyes widened at what she saw next. “And this one over here!” Twilight said spreading both her forelegs opened as wide as they would go. “Is my favowit... Orion.”

“You really do love astronomy I see.”

Twilight nodded as she sat, staring into space. “So this is a dweam too then?”

“It is, and I'm quite surprised you are able to figure this out so quickly. Most ponies are not aware of their consciousness during their dream cycles.”

“What can I do here?” Twilight asked.

The black pony took a step next to her and replied, “the real question my dear, is what can you NOT do here?”

Twilight closed her eyes and pictured Cadance's house. She thought about the exterior, the white slab stone siding, the pink and sliver shutters, and the sea blue shingles which formed the roof. She pictured the inside; royal white walls adorned with photos of herself and her family. In the bedroom, beside the single king sized bed, on a simple yet elegant white nightstand, sat a picture of her with the pink princess.

A cold wind rushed over Twilight's fur, and when she opened her eyes, she found herself standing in the center of Cadance's living room. Twilight watched as Cadance walked in the front door and took a seat on the couch, looking utterly exhausted. Twilight ran over to her and jumped on the couch next to her.

“Cadance!” She cheered. “You're in my dweam too!” However Cadance did not reply, she did not react to Twilight's voice at all. “Cadance?”

“She can't hear you Twilight.”

“Why not?” Twilight asked.

“Because what you see is reality, yet you are a dream... do you follow?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, not really.”

“Ok, let's take this a little slower then.” the black pony said. “When you enter your soul plane like you did last night, and tonight, you have the ability to 'exit' it to say. Basically you are projecting your consciousness into the mortal world, while keeping yourself within a dream.”

“So.... I can go anywhere I want to just by thinking of that place?” Twilight asked.

Her companion nodded, taking a seat next to her. “Yes, but only places you have already visited.”

Twilight smiled, “That is so cool but.... wait... how do I know this is real and not just a dweam?”

“I wonder...”

Twilight once again closed her eyes, this time thinking about her own bedroom. Her single purple bed, the lone desk in the corner; over flowing with books, and the tiny window opposite the desk. One more cold wind gust later and Twilight was standing within her own room.

“My room...” Twilight whispered. She opened her eyes as she saw herself sleeping in her bed. “How do I know this is real?” Twilight thought. She looked around and saw a paper on the desk that wasn't there earlier. She approached it and read it.


My dearest Twilight,

I just had to write this after I set you to bed as I never got a chance to tell you goodnight. Your mom will probably tell you before I do, but I'll be around tomorrow morning about an hour later than normal. I have a surprise in store for you: a new set of lessons I would like you to attempt. But until then, I pray you sleep well, and I just know we will enjoy ourselves tomorrow.

Cadance


“Is this note real or not?” Twilight asked.

The black pony turned towards the door and replied. “You will find out for yourself in the morning, but for now I must depart you.”

“Why? Where are you going?” Twilight asked.

“You are beginning to wake up, as such it is time for me to sleep.”

“I see. I guess this is goodbye then?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, but we will meet again soon.”

★     ☆ ★     ☆ ★     ☆ ★

Twilight's eyes fluttered open as a soft light peeked through the window into her bedroom.

“5 more minutes.” She groaned, as she pulled the cover over her head and flipped herself over to face the wall. A couple seconds passed before she shot up in bed, remembering last night.

“The Note!” she yelled.

Twilight frantically untangled herself from the mess of bedsheets and flew to her desk, and right where the note had been last night...

“It IS real!” Twilight gasped.