• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 27,585 Views, 931 Comments

How to Tell Your Friends You're Dating a Changeling - Infinite Carnage



Rainbow Dash has a confession to make. But she doesn't really know how to explain herself.

  • ...
62
 931
 27,585

Disrupted Harmony

Rarity was overjoyed today. It usually wouldn’t take a lot to bring her into a good mood. A creative spark, a visit from a friend, gaining a new client, even the smallest bit of luck would make her absolutely giddy with happiness.

Today, Rarity was gaining her newfound joy by simply having all her friends in her shop. Minus Rainbow Dash, but the pegasus assured her the other day that she would be there as soon as she could.

Since the boutique was being renovated, she had led them all to the only room she deemed suitable for her closest friends: her inspiration room, after it had been tidied up a bit. It only took her a moment to teleport a table, several chairs, and a tray of tea and cakes, and her room had become a makeshift gossip chamber. Sadly, Rarity had severely cut down on taking part in gossip since the Gabby Gums incident, but the less said about that, the better. At least Sweetie had learnt her lesson.

She was happy though at how marvellous the room looked with a bit of added furniture and the sun beaming through the window. The odd unfinished dress surrounding the room and the occasional piece of fabric still on the floor didn’t harm the charming effect in her eyes.

What she found quite interesting though, was why they had all been called together. Ever since she had known Rainbow, not once had she seen a single interest in romance from the athletic mare. However, she had noticed that Rainbow had all the signs of a mare who was head over hooves in love with somepony else. It was as if the pegasus was walking on air, literally. To make things even more obvious, the mare herself had randomly approached Rarity with some questions about ‘how to tell if somepony liked you.’ Rarity had respected Rainbow’s privacy, and played along when Dash said that she was just curious about it in case she had to deal with the odd stalker fan in the future.

Rarity looked up at the clock to find it was two minutes to two, and Rainbow had yet to appear to her own requested gathering. Rarity decided to take this moment to satisfy her own curiosity.

She and her friends were sitting around the oval shaped table, all sipping their cups of tea. Applejack was relaxing for once in her life, lounging in her chair with her trademark Stetson covering her eyes. Fluttershy was keeping herself to herself as usual, only occasionally joining in on the conversation. Pinkie, much to the others’ surprise, was rather quiet. Rarity assumed this was because she was too busy enjoying the cake. Finally, there was Twilight, who was the main source of conversation. That was the mare Rarity wanted to talk to.

“Oh Twilight dear,” her voice chimed throughout the room. Twilight’s head turned to Rarity expectantly. “I was wondering if you could sate my curiosity.”

“Of course, Rarity. I would be happy to help,” Twilight replied with a genuine smile. The small exchange between the two mares had garnered the attention of Applejack and Fluttershy. Pinkie was still too busy eating her cake.

“Well, I was wondering if Rainbow Dash had checked any different books out lately. What I mean by that is has she been browsing any different genres than she normally would?”

Twilight’s face scrunched up in thought. She didn’t think about the unusual nature of the question itself, as she was more focused on answering it, just like she would if she were taking a test.

“Actually, when she came back with the latest Daring Do book, she asked if I had any romance books.” Applejack adjusted her Stetson so the hat was no longer covering her eyes.

“RD, readin’ a romance story? Ya sure about that, sugarcube?”

“Yes, I found it rather odd myself. She told me that when she got to the part where Daring falls in love with a writer, she became curious and wanted to try a pure romance novel.”

Only Rarity was able to read between the lines of Dash’s actions. She felt an odd sense of pride in her athletic friend. Perhaps it was the fact that Rainbow had never really shown interest in pursuing a relationship before, and it seemed like she was maturing in a sense.

Those nasty rumours spread about her were probably the cause of her reluctance in finding love, Rarity mused to herself. This was something she had been musing over for sometime now. What brutes! How dare they spread outright lies about a lady’s sexuality!

The thought made her think back to when she had tried to set up Dash with Roseluck, only to be told by Dash she didn’t like mares that way. On top of that, Roseluck didn’t either. She’s had her eyes on Big Mac for some time. Rarity had to give both mares numerous apologies till she felt the embarrassment wear off.

“Um… excuse me, Rarity.”

A tiny, squeaky voice invaded the white mare’s ears, and caused her train of thought to come to a complete halt. Fluttershy had somehow managed to quietly move her chair next to Rarity’s. Rarity was used to Fluttershy unintentionally sneaking up at her, but Fluttershy seemed more conflicted than she usually did.

“Yes, darling. Whatever is the matter?”

Fluttershy took a quick sip of her tea to calm herself. She knew what this was all about. She had a feeling Rarity knew too. She just wanted to be certain.

“Rarity, I think I know why Rainbow wanted us to come today.”

“You do?”

“Two days ago, I saw her coming out of the Everfree with… another pony. He was a stallion, but I didn’t get a very good luck at him. She was nuzzling him a lot though, so I think they were together.”

“You mean as a couple, darling?” Rarity had joined in with her own hushed voice.

“I think so. Oh, I hope Rainbow isn’t mad at me for snooping. I was just…” Rarity raised a hoof in front of her friend to silence her. She would not allow Fluttershy to worry herself over nothing like she did so often.

“Fluttershy, you did absolutely nothing wrong. Tell me, did you just happen to be close by when you saw them? You didn’t actively look for Rainbow, did you?”

“Oh goodness no. If I had, I would have gone to her house. I would never follow her without her knowledge.” Rarity smiled warmly at her friend.

“You see? Darling, you have nothing to worry about. You didn’t do anything wrong at all. And you were correct. I did have a suspicion of what this was all about. But how did you know that?”

Fluttershy began to hide behind her long mane. This was something she often did when she felt pressured or nervous about talking. It was why she would never consider cutting it. The elongated pink hair acted as her last line of defence in awkward social situations.

“Well, when we talk at the spa, you usually have this twinkle in your eye when you know something others don’t. And since you don’t gossip any more, I see that twinkle an awful lot. I just thought you might know.”

Before Rarity could think over the fact she apparently had a ‘twinkle’, a knock at the door caught everypony’s attention. Rarity’s eyes drifted to the window, where she found it was still closed. Rainbow very rarely used the door, unless she was arriving with others, so she assumed it must have been a client, or perhaps another fabric delivery.

She took another sip of her tea, savouring the milky taste of the brew, before gently placing the cup and saucer on the oval table.

“If you would excuse me, everypony, I believe that must be a client. If Rainbow arrives, tell her to continue without me.”

“Ya can take yer time, Rare,” assured Applejack. “RD probably won’t be here for a while yet.”

Pinkie, for the first time in the conversation, put down the cake and joined in. “Yeah, Dashie’s always late! Not for my parties though, she’s never late for my parties because she always likes my parties. But there was that one party we had for Octavia when she hooked up with the Doctor, and she was late for that because she knocked herself out when she hit her head on her kitchen table when doing a balancing trick in her house. Hey, don’t you think the Doctor is a silly name? When I first asked who he was, he said he was the Doctor. Then I asked, Doctor who? But he just laughed and said, just the Doctor. He’s super smart though, just like Twilight, so I thought he would like to ask her out, but then Tavi asked him out first and he said yes and she was super-duper happy. Oh wait, I just called her Tavi. I think only Vinyl is allowed to—”

Rarity had stopped listening when Pinkie began talking about the Doctor. She abandoned the rest of her friends to suffer through a Pinkie rant and descended down the staircase to investigate the knocking on her front door.

Some scaffolding was still up from the renovations, but the entrance leading into the shop was generally tidy. Rarity had insisted on this so none of her clients would be put off from entering the building. Luckily, few of her ‘friends’ from Canterlot had paid a visit since the renovations began. Only Fancy Pants and his wife, and they were some of the least judgemental ‘friends’ she had made in the capital city.

The knocking continued.

“Just a minute, darling. I’ll be there in a moment.”

The knocking sounded urgent, so Rarity assumed whoever it was, was in a rush. She had no intention of making the pony at the door wait, so she quickened her pace and arrived at the door at a brisk speed. She cleared her throat and opened the door with her usual dramatic flair. With a tossed mane, and her best posh voice, she swung the door open with a greeting.

“Welcome to Carousel Bout—”

Rarity stopped mid-sentence when she noticed exactly who she was addressing. It was the chromatic-maned pegasus mare herself, Rainbow Dash. Rainbow’s usual bravado and confidence was missing, and in its place was a meekness that was normally saved for Fluttershy. She was shyly rubbing a hoof along the back of her head, and avoiding eye contact with her friend.

“O-oh, hey, Rare. What’s up?” Rarity had barely shaken off the surprise of seeing her friend acting like this when she replied.

“Rainbow Dash? Are you alright?” Rarity was beginning to become worried. The last time she saw her anywhere close to this was when she was preparing for the Best Young Flier’s competition.

“I-I’m good, I guess. Is everypony else here?” Rainbow still had yet to look at Rarity directly.

“Rainbow, are you sure you’re alright? Has something happened?”

Rainbow finally looked up, and her eyes were filled with worry. Rainbow also looked very tired, as if she had been up all night. When the Element of Loyalty had visited the other day, and asked if they could meet at Rarity’s the next day, she seemed perfectly fine. Rarity decided to take a chance and confront the athletic mare with what she knew.

“Rainbow, I know why you called us here today.”

“YOU DO!?”

Any sign of how tired Rainbow Dash was miraculously disappeared in that moment. Her head snapped forward and she jumped up in the air and remained up there with the use of her wings. Rarity had gone this far, so she decided to go all the way.

“Yes, I know about your coltfriend. That’s why you called us here, to tell us the news, yes?” A wave of relief fell over Rainbow as she wiped some sweat off her brow.

She doesn’t know, she thought. Well, she kinda knows. Only half of it I guess. I’d better get this over with. She gently floated down so she could address Rarity properly.

“Yeah, you got me, Rare,” she nervously chuckled. Rarity smiled when she noticed that Rainbow had cheered up slightly. “But uh, there’s a little bit more to it. So we should probably get this over with.”


“So, what’s all this about, RD?” Applejack asked curiously. “Ya look more nervous than the time Ah caught Apple Bloom with ’er hoof in the cookie jar.”

The meek nature that Rainbow Dash had displayed before was returning the more her friends continued to stare at her. The awesome persona she had built for herself over the years was more fragile than she would like to have thought. She had gratefully accepted the cup of tea, and at first, was making idle chat with her friends like she usually did. However, Twilight continued to press on about why they had been brought here. Her natural curiosity had gotten the better of her. Because of this, Dash could no longer change the subject, and would have to face the music. Or rather, the judgement of her closest friends.

In one single motion, Rainbow swallowed her courage, and began to speak.

“So, thanks for coming, guys. It means a lot to me. I guess I had better tell you guys what’s going on.” Pinkie’s eyes practically bulged out of her head as she got right in Rainbow Dash’s face.

“Oh my gosh, are you sick? No wait, you look nervous. Oh my gosh, my ear flop, twitchy eye and hoof itch means one of my friends was going to reveal a massive secret to us! ARE YOU PREGNANT!? BABY SHOWER TIME!”

The walls of the boutique nearly came down as Pinkie Pie shouted the last line. Fluttershy dropped her tea cup in shock while Applejack’s jaw nearly came unhinged at the thought. Rainbow saw the looks she was getting, especially around her belly, and was going to have none of it.

“What!? No, I am not pregnant!” A large sigh of relief escaped her friend’s mouths and they began to get comfy again. “I’m… seeing somepony.”

The mood shifted back to surprise, but this was more of a nice surprise, opposed to the sheer shock and horror of Pinkie’s sudden outburst. Speaking of which, Pinkie, who was still directly in front of Dash, started to giggle to herself.

“Silly Dashie,” she managed to get out through her laugh, “I’m seeing somepony too.”

Everypony in the room was suddenly blown back by Pinkie’s announcement. Eyes darted towards her as the pink mare began to hop in front of each of her friends.

“Pinkie? You’re seeing somepony as well? For how long?” inquired Twilight. Pinkie waved a hoof nonchalantly.

“All the time. I see all the ponies coming into the shop, I see Mr and Mrs Cake, and I’m seeing all of you guys right now.” Twilight had to use all of her strength to resist facehoofing when she realised what Pinkie meant.

“Pinkie, do you mean you’re looking at us?”

“Yeah, that’s what Dashie said.”

Applejack shook her head. “Actually, sugarcube, Dash meant she’s dating a fella. Am Ah right?” Dash nodded in agreement.

Pinkie suddenly came to a halt in mid-air and just stayed there for a moment. Twilight would be freaking out about how Pinkie just casually broke the laws of physics for months after, but it was as if a light bulb had been switched on inside Pinkie’s head. She craned her head towards Dash, blinked several times, and then suddenly launched herself at her rainbow-haired friend and wrapped her in a gigantic hug. The sheer glee on Pinkie Pie’s face would be hard for anypony throughout time to match.

“Dashie! I’m so happy for you! We have to throw you a party! A ‘Dash is finally getting herself some’ party! And everypony in town will come and—”

A hoof shoved in Pinkie’s mouth was the only thing that would stop her at that point. Dash had managed to wriggle a foreleg out and stop the party mare’s tirade before she went too far. Dash’s previous fear was gone, and in its place was annoyance.

“Pinkie, nopony wants to go to a party just because I got laid. And where did you get the idea I wasn’t getting it before?”

Rarity avoided eye contact.

With Pinkie finally calming down, the rest of the girls decided that congratulations were in order, and delivered them with relief and sincerity. Many of them were glad that Dash had finally shaken off the romantic chip on her shoulder. Before things went too far though, the sound of Rarity clearing her throat gained everypony’s attention.

“Now, congratulations, Rainbow, but you haven’t told us a thing about the stallion in question. Please elaborate for us. Who is the devilish rogue who has won your heart?”

I forgot how much Rare likes to ham it up, Rainbow thought to herself. The anxiety and the fear had returned, leaving Dash’s cyan coat to turn as white as a ghost. Her throat began to feel as dry as sandpaper, and she reached for her tea as a desperate remedy. As she chugged the boiling-hot liquid down her throat, her friends returned to their seats, all equally hungry to know who Rainbow was talking about.

Rainbow nearly slammed the small teacup on the saucer, but managed to restrain herself at the last moment and gently lowered it. She cleared her throat which only helped slightly with her voice as it came out raspier than usual.

“Well… um… I can’t… tell you his… name,” she said as she smiled nervously. She was met with confused stares from her friends.

“Um, if you don’t mind me asking… why not?” asked Fluttershy. Her voice was barely audible, but strangely seemed far more confident than Rainbow’s. Rainbow desperately shook her head to clear it and her normal tone of voice briefly returned.

“I need to tell you guys some… things about him first. I need to know if you’re cool.”

Again, more confused stares.

“Why the hay wouldn’t we be cool with ya dating, RD?” asked Applejack.

“By any chance, did this pony do anything bad? Has he done jail time for example?” Inquired Twilight, who seemed more curious than confused.

Once again, Pinkie jumped into the middle of the room. “Oh! Was he a robber? Did he have a getaway cart and everything? Did he have a tommy gun?” To avoid the inevitable barrage of questions, Dash waved her hooves around.

“Nah, he did some bad stuff, but he’s done some good stuff too. I guess you could say he helps stop bad guys.”

“Wait, is he a superhero? Like Batmare, Iron Pony, Captain Equestria, Blue Lantern, Dr Fate, Spider-Mane, Flash, Gravity Queen…?”

“No, no, no. Pinkie! He isn’t a superhero like those ones up in Manehattan or Maretropolis. He’s a regular dude… sort of. He isn’t a pony.” Rarity scoffed at this.

“Oh please, Rainbow. You shouldn’t be embarrassed. Interspecies relationships are nothing new. Why, just the other week I had the pleasure of gaining a wolf client from up north. And I say, if he had been sticking around, I would have…”

“That’s not the point!” Rainbow shouted all of a sudden, shocking her friends. They remained silent as Dash buried her head in her hooves.

Oh sweet Celestia, I just need to get this over with. They’ll figure it out eventually. Twi is way too smart to not figure it out at some point. Rainbow let out an exasperated sigh and lifted her head from her hooves. She was tired. She hadn’t been able to sleep a wink last night, as the thoughts of what she would do today had been constant inside her mind.

“Look, he isn’t a pony, wolf, griffon, minotaur or whatever. He’s…”

Just say it.

“He’s…”

Just say it.

“He’s…”

JUST BUCKING SAY IT, YOU COWARD!

“He’s a changeling…”

The silence that followed was the most nerve-racking that Rainbow had ever experienced in her entire life. Nopony dared to make a sudden movement in the tense atmosphere at first, but eventually they began to move very gingerly. Applejack shook her head slightly, Fluttershy had moved so she was hiding behind her chair, Rarity could only blink a couple of times, Pinkie had stayed frozen solid with an unnerving smile on her face, and finally, Twilight was rubbing her ears to make sure her hearing was working properly.

Twilight was the first to speak.

“I’m sorry Rainbow, but I think I might have misheard you. Did you say were dating a changeling?” She said the last word with extra emphasis.

“… I did, Twi. I’m dating a changeling.”

Rarity fainted. Applejack’s jaw hit the floor. Fluttershy curled up into a ball. Pinkie continued to stay still. But Twilight fired one single bolt of magic directly at Rainbow’s forehead.

The suddenness of the magic spell, and the fact that Rainbow had highly doubted an attack, caught her completely off guard. She fell backwards off her chair and the back of her skull smacked against the wooden floor. She could hear distant voices around her.

“What the heck are you doing?”

“She’s being controlled. I have to remove the spell on her!”

“No… Rainbow, are you alright?”

“Goodness, I think she’s out cold…”

“… Rainbow…”

A blackness began to take her vision. Because of a mixture of fatigue, stress, and pain, Rainbow made no attempt to stop it. She allowed herself to drift off into dreamland. There, she would be happy. The last thing her mind was able to pick up was the single drop of wet fluid coming from her eye.

My eye’s leaking again, she lied to herself. Heh, it always seems to do that lately.

Author's Note:

So yeah, this is a little different from what I usually do. However I actually feel good about this project.

I'm going to be doing a few different things in this story, so expect it to be updated sporadically.

I hope you enjoyed it and if you did, leave a like, a favourite, and a comment. If you wish to dislike the story, please leave constructive critism.

Updated: Wow, I rewrote some parts of the chapter, and now I have 1000 likes! Thank you all very much.