• Published 19th Oct 2013
  • 4,972 Views, 85 Comments

Fluttershy Is Made a Princess Instead of Twilight - CartsBeforeHorses



For her valiant efforts reforming Discord, stopping the snoring dragon, and taking care of all the animals in Ponyville by herself, Fluttershy is made a princess.

  • ...
33
 85
 4,972

The Princess Fluttershy Cometh, Behold

“...From a true, true friend!”

The ponies all landed back on the ground after their musical number and mid-air magical hug, and Twilight Sparkle spoke.

“Wait, that’s it! I understand now! I know how to fix the spell!”

Twilight ran back off to the library, her six friends following closely behind her. She went back into the library, picked up the book in her magic, and wrote with her quill.

“From all of us together, together we’re friends. With the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end!”

Suddenly, a bright flash of light shone…

...as Princess Celestia appeared inside of the library.

“I got here as quickly as I could,” she said. “Spike sent me a letter letting me know that things weren’t right in Ponyville.”

“Oh, hi, Princess Celestia!” said Spike.

“It’s okay,” said Twilight, putting her hoof to her chest. “I fixed it! I completed the spell!”

“That’s good, Twilight,” said Princess Celestia, “I appreciate you fixing your messes this time instead of relying on me or somepony else. Though this all could have been avoided had you heeded my warning. Did you read the back of the letter I sent you?”

Twilight’s pupils dilated. “There was a back of the letter?”

“Yes,” said Princess Celestia, smiling. “I admire your enthusiasm, but you really must learn not to rush into things, Twilight. The back of the letter gave a warning to you not to cast the spell until you had completed it and fully understood it, lest the consequences be disastrous.”

Spike grabbed the letter from the previous evening and turned it around. “P.S.,” he read, “Don’t jump horn-first into this spell. Make sure that you research it diligently before casting it, or it could have dire results. I’m counting on you to not mess this up. Thanks.”

“Oh,” said Twilight, shirking back and blushing.

“It’s quite alright, Twilight,” said Princess Celestia, chuckling. “I’m sure you’ll learn in time that magic can have unintended consequences if you don’t fully understand the spell that you’re casting. Even though you didn’t learn that lesson with the parasprite incident, the friendship letter incident, or the time travel incident, I’m sure you’ll learn it in time.”

A tear ran down Twilight’s cheek as she grabbed Celestia, hugging her. “I’m sorry! I just wanted to get this spell done as quickly as possible so that I’d impress you!”

Celestia put her wing over Twilight and spoke. “There, there. I took you under my wing and made you my personal student because you have incredible magical talent, but no knowledge of how to control it. I’m glad I did this, or else you may have destroyed Equestria by now!”

Everypony in the room laughed, except for Twilight of course.

“Come on, Twilight, lighten up,” said Spike.

“Everypony makes mistakes,” said Rainbow Dash.

“And after all, you did fix it. And with a quite dazzling musical number, I might add,” said Rarity.

“I’m glad that you’re such a true friend to us all,” said Fluttershy.

Twilight chuckled, glad she had such forgiving friends.

Princess Celestia walked towards the center of the room. “Now, I have some very exciting news. I was going to wait to deliver this news until later, but since you all seven are in the same place, I figure that I will let you know now.”

“Ooh, ooh! Are we getting a fourth season?” asked Pinkie Pie. The other ponies looked at her, raising their eyebrows in confusion.

“Are you moving the capital from Canterlot to Ponyville?” asked Rarity.

“Are you gonna make an extra long growin’ season this year?” asked Applejack.

“No,” said Princess Celestia. “I am appointing a new princess of Equestria. She, in fact, is in this very room. She is somepony who is quite special to me, and to you all as well.”

Twilight’s eyes widened.

“She is someone who has saved Equestria on multiple occasions.”

A mile-wide grin spread across Twilight’s face.

“She is in fact a friend to everypony: pony, dragon, and animal alike.”

Twilight lifted herself into the air with her own magic as her heart raced.

“The new princess is… Fluttershy!”

Twilight fell to the ground with a thud. Everypony in the room stomped their hooves on the ground in applause.

“Woohoo! Congratulations, Fluttershy!” Pinkie exclaimed, jumping up and down.

“You’ve sure earned it, sugarcube, ‘specially after you reformed Discord,” said Applejack, patting Fluttershy on the back. Fluttershy blushed, smiling.

“Even when all of us thought he was too evil and too far gone,” said Rainbow Dash. “That’s what a true friend does: she never gives up on her friends.”

“A true, true friend—” Twilight started, before being interrupted.

“Oh, and don’t forget that unhygienic snoring dragon. And when she saved my sister from the Cockatrice by staring at it,” said Rarity.

“But… but…” Twilight stammered.

“And boy, you’re a hard worker, Fluttershy. Takin’ care of all the animals in Ponyville by yourself? I admire that sort of labor,” said Applejack.

“But I’m a librarian—” started Twilight, but Spike elbowed her and pointed towards himself and the feather duster that he held in his claw. He had just finished feather dusting the whole library and assisting ponies with checking out and returning books.

“Fluttershy’s also really nice,” said Pinkie Pie. “She makes me smile.”

“Thank you, Pinkie,” said Fluttershy. “Thank you all, and thank you for this honor, Princess Celestia. I’m kinda scared, but I’ll do my best to be a princess and—”

“No!” Twilight exclaimed. “This isn’t right! I was supposed to be made a princess! It’s my destiny!”

The other ponies in the room chuckled, except Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle.

“Well, you can be a princess if you really want to, Twilight. You obviously really want it, and I’d hate for you to be sad,” said Fluttershy.

“That sort of selflessness and kindness is exactly why you get to be a princess, Fluttershy,” said Princess Celestia. “A true princess thinks nothing of herself, only of serving her subjects. She is kind, gracious, and always listens. She is a friend to all living things. She is also willing to stand up to threats to her kingdom, but with a careful and deliberative manner which serves to de-escalate the problem and promote peace and harmony rather than aggression. You have done all of these things over the past few years.”

“But I invented new magic!” Twilight shouted.

“So did your friend Rarity, and the magic she invented is far more useful,” said Princess Celestia. “Today, she invented a new weather control spell. Now, instead of entire teams of pegasi, every town can just have a single unicorn manage the weather, saving the taxpayers thousands of bits in pension costs. At the princess ceremony, I will also be awarding Rarity a Neighbel Peace Prize in Magic.”

Rarity blushed. “It was really nothing,” she said.

“But I’ve been working my whole life on magic!” said Twilight Sparkle. “It’s my special talent!”

“Jeeze, Twilight, will you just stop it already?” asked Spike. “You’re ruining this special moment for your friends.”

“Yeah, it’s not always about you,” said Rainbow Dash. “It’s about me!”

Everypony laughed, except for Twilight Sparkle.

“Oh, it can be about Twilight, if she really wants it to be,” said Fluttershy, shrinking back.

“It’s about you, Fluttershy,” said Princess Celestia. “You’ve earned it. And don't worry, Twilight. Someday, if you work hard enough, you too may be a princess.”

Twilight sighed. "You're right," she said. She reached her hoof over to Fluttershy and patted her on the back. "Congratulations, Fluttershy."


The next day, there was a grand parade. The newly-crowned Princess Fluttershy stood atop the float as the crowd sang to her.

“The princess Fluttershy cometh, behold, behold.
The princess Fluttershy cometh, behold, behold.”

Fluttershy powered up her new horn, levitating pieces of candy off the float and into the crowd.

“Thank you all so much!” she said.

Author's Note:

So, do you think that Fluttershy deserves to be a princess? Leave a comment!

Comments ( 84 )

That description was enough to make my stomach hurt from laughter! :rainbowlaugh:

...okay, why is your avatar darf's avatar? I keep seeing it and expecting... different things.

3369690 Look closely at it, and you'll see that my avatar is actually different than his. The letters on the pony spell out "Carts" instead of "Darf."

EDIT: I changed it back.

This made me laugh :rainbowwild:

Brilliant, my good sir. :moustache:

You could turn that into a story were Twilight becomes evil because of jealousy :trixieshiftleft:
I would enjoy that xD

I'm sensing bias vibes. :fluttershyouch:

~Leonzilla

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh: And that is all I can say right now. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::heart:


MORE:yay::yay:

TGM
TGM #10 · Oct 19th, 2013 · · 1 ·

This....

This is how it should have been.

3369794

Darn right. And if you think about it, Trixie invented two new magics before anypony else did. She made a cloud out of thin air + shot controlled lightning (Purely pegasus magic (since pegasi magic is weather manifestation, manipulation and control + flying)), and then she grabbed another pony's individual magic effect (Rainbow's magic flight trail) then she not only made it physical but used it to bind Dash.

So ... 3369691 We also need Princess Trixie. But I agree this is how it should've ended. I almost want to see a sequel to see the journeys of Princess Flutters, and a Nightmare Twilight.

I really liked the part with Spike, like he was saying 'don't even say it, I'm the one who does everything around here.':moustache:

Indeed, this story deserves an upvote if for nothing else but the description alone.

Author, you are a good person.

...also, notice almost every single comment below me that praises this story in some way has been downvoted by at least one particular individual.

I think someone's butthurt...

EDIT: Oh my God. This story just takes every single aspect of the Season 3 finale/Twilicorn thing and smashes each of them in the fucking nuts. Hell, there are counterpoints made in here that not even I've thought about. I love this story because it's all so true, but at the same time it infuriates me because I'm realizing more and more just what a half-assed, shitty marketing ploy her "coronation" and all of the "reasons" given for it really are.

And I'm truly relieved to know that there are still people out there who realize this, and aren't happy about it.

Ultimately, this was still really great, of course. Well done. Again, you are a good person.

3369882 Twilight Sparkle must have made a FimFiction account.

Wow. Normally, I'd think the description was just trying to be funny but I almost feel like there's a sense of hostility in there. :pinkiecrazy:

The other pony has nearly destroyed Ponyville several times, is highly OCD, impulsively uses magic with unpredictable and often disastrous results, and is just a regular librarian.

You know I love your work, but your initial description is really unfair to Twilight. She was the one who united her friends after they had been corrupted by Discord. If Twilight would've become an alicorn after defeating Discord, I don't think nearly as many people would've complained about her being a princess.

Yeah I had to give this a downvote for the blatant Twilight-bashing.

3369905 I know I would have still complained. Especially since, like every other of her accomplishments, she only did it with the help of her friends. That would mean that they are all equally deserving of praise and/or promotions. Fluttershy was awesome in that episode, though, and if you'll recall, Discord actually had to cheat when he corrupted her. And Twilight would never have caught RD without Fluttershy flying the balloon.

Reforming Discord, though, was all Fluttershy. She did it even when everypony else thought he was a lost cause. That's what true leaders do.

3369906

I love Twilight, I really do. I just wanted to make this story to show that there was another pony at LEAST as deserving of the princess position as Twilight. Either way, thanks for reading.

EDIT: I have taken out some of the more blatant Twilight-bashing. Hopefully this will make my story funnier.

Just a quick thing based on the words "Real Achievements" it kind of irks me when firstly there's the obvious if Twilight didn't defeat Discord using the memory spell which Fluttershy couldn't cast. I will give you that Twilight might not have been able to catch Rainbow Dash that doesn't mean that it is only due to Fluttershy they caught her. Plus do you not count defeating Nightmare moon, Discord first time round, Sombra and being the only pony to notice "Candeza de Amore" being Chrysalis. Hell if Twilight hadn't freed Candence (While Fluttershy did nothing,) they would all have been defeated and fed on by Changelings forever. Maybe if you had not put such a strong bias against Twilight people might take your point about there's another pony but Twilight that could be Princess.

Edit: I did just notice that it said that Rarity created a weather control spell...

Why would Rarity, a Fashion Designer who for all we see only knows basic levitation etc., have enough power or knowledge to create a weather control spell. Even then if that removes the weather teams then surely there would be a huge amount of resentment from Rainbow Dash who would have LOST HER JOB due to it.

3369972 Hmm, well you have a point there. I went ahead and edited the description to take out any potential bias.

I can't see why there's people doing down vote on a story just because of one's view on a certain pony. I mean this is fanfiction, none of which is canon so to speak, so down voting one's story because they wish to write their favorite pony into a princess instead of the one in the show is just wrong. Readers should up vote or down vote base on how well it is wrote and if it bring you joy to read it, but I continue to see down votes based on if it is about their favorite pony.

Every story I have read completely I have up voted because it was a joy to read, not because it was about my favorite pony. I only down vote a story if it poorly wrote, and bashes personal believes like a certain religion, race, or promotes violence as it's main theme. So since I have been here on the site I have only ever down voted one story.

I look for stories I like to read not ones that I might take offense too. these are just my thoughts on the subject, and I hope I have not offend anyone by writing this. If it has please feel free to remove it from the comments, and my apologizes to anyone I have offended.

3369743 evil twilight i like
And she is hurt so bad that she suisides.:pinkiecrazy:
Off a clif or other high plases.

3370014 Thanks for your insightful comment. I actually really like Twilight, I just wanted to write a story in which Fluttershy gets her day in the sun. :yay:

I normally hate the idea of anybody but Twily becoming a Princess, as she seems the most prepared.

But this is just perfect, its funny, and has a funny atmosphere.

Props.

3370036 The amount of Grammatical Errors here.

“Ooh, ooh! Are we getting a fourth season?” asked Pinkie Pie. The other ponies looked at her, raising their eyebrows in confusion.LOL Pinkie, your fourth wall breaking skills are hysterical :rainbowlaugh:

Also:

“But I invented new magic!” Twilight shouted.
“So did your friend Rarity, and the magic she invented is far more useful,” said Princess Celestia. “Today, she invented a new weather control spell. Now, instead of entire teams of pegasi, every town can just have a single unicorn manage the weather, saving the taxpayers thousands of bits in pension costs. At the princess ceremony, I will also be awarding Rarity a Neighbel Peace Prize in Magic.”
Rarity blushed. “It was really nothing,” she said.
“But I’ve been working my whole life on magic!” said Twilight Sparkle. “It’s my special talent!”

WOAH, mean much? Poor Twilight. Although that bit about the tax payers was funny, not a perfect world is it now?

I love this story anyways, I'm gonna fave :raritystarry:

Twilight ran back off to the library, her five friends following closely behind her.

"five of her friends." Twilight would have to be seriously prejudiced if she didn't consider Spike her friend first and foremost. She's stated as much in canon.

“Thank Celestia you’re here, Princess Celestia!” said Spike, running down the stairs.

How did he have time to beat his friends back to the library and get upstairs?

“Ooh, ooh! Are we getting a fourth season?” asked Pinkie Pie. The other ponies looked at her, raising their eyebrows in confusion.

A good response from another character would have been: "Pinkie, there are four seasons. Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter."

Pretty amusing. It got a few good chuckles out of me.

Comment posted by Somebody deleted Oct 19th, 2013

3370146 Ooh, you're right. Fixed, thanks :pinkiehappy:

How is this NOT featured? :flutterrage:

3370195 I have no idea. 42 likes and 16 favorites in two hours isn't enough, apparently.

3370036
someone should write this :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy:

3370198
I know that feeling. :facehoof: My sad fic was beaten to it by the 30k word Trixie fic by one upvote. Luck of the draw, eh?

What the hell is a kobold anyway? This needs to be featured! :raritydespair:

Honestly, I could totally see this being the beginning of a 'series' of one shots, each one exploring why a different member of the mane six is the one who is most deserving of being made princess by Celestia, ending with Twilight.

Made me laugh. Nice work.

Twilight knows how to take a joke. Others should learn from her.
tinyurl.com/mbho6go

3370107 *number* of grammatical errors here. :rainbowwild:

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going to get the Princess Fluttershy toy at my first opportunity.

NO :flutterrage: :twilightangry2: THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN :raritydespair: how could this happen to my Twily....... :raritycry:

JOKING JOKING!!! Nice fanfic! This made my day (even worse) Take a joke people :rainbowlaugh: it's not like I wanna scream myself to sleep for reading that Fluttershy is a princess instead of my fav pony in the world Twilight! Hehehehe :pinkiecrazy:


Okay really. Joking. Nice comic! two thumbs up! :pinkiehappy:

Bias! Bias everywhere (and I mean in the comments)!

Very entertaining story! (you should start on the Adventures of Princess Fluttershy).:yay:

3369935

Reforming Discord, though, was all Fluttershy. She did it even when everypony else thought he was a lost cause. That's what true leaders do.

You'll get no argument from me about Fluttershy. You make some great points. I totally agree that she's earned her wings... er, horn. Fluttershy's role in reforming Discord definitely means she deserves her own princess coronation.

Especially since, like every other of [Twilight's] accomplishments, she only did it with the help of her friends.

As the Element of Friendship (which equals magic) I wouldn't expect Twilight to work alone. In spite of this, Twilight was by herself when she restored her friends from Discord's influence. Without Twilight's efforts, Equestria may have been lost to chaos and Fluttershy never would've had a chance to reform Discord.

What's right isn't always the popular choice and the popular choice isn't always right. That's what Fluttershy's reform of Discord taught us.

Twilight needing her friends to help her doesn't make her less of a leader. You can't lead if no one's willing to follow you.

3370708 Perhaps the best answer is that they could both be alicorns. Then they'd sell even more toys! :yay:

Also, I did tone down the description as well as some of the story, per your advice.

3370660 haha your welcome! Sorry for the over reaction. :twilightblush: :twilightblush: but anyway, I think that your really talented with spoofs so haha silly me :rainbowwild:

Login or register to comment