• Published 20th Oct 2013
  • 1,340 Views, 15 Comments

More Than Complicated - ThunderChaserCreate



A mare meets draconequus story... except the mare sort of hates the draconequus and the draconequus is pretty annoying...

  • ...
2
 15
 1,340

A Meeting in the Woods

Well, Sunny seemed like the perfect plan. This would be the way for me to live my own life, away from over-protective parents and swiftly approaching royal duties.

Of course, me being me, nothing can go right every time.

I think I had picked the wrong patch of woods. I made my way out, sneaking past the guards and servants, and galloped into the hills. I lost my wings with the spell (since an alicorn would draw attention), and it was tough to get used to moving without them.

I spent a good few minutes hauling myself up into a tree, and sat back against the rough bark on the trunk, listening to the birdsong.

That was when the noise started. There was this faraway thumping that echoed through the hum of the forest. It sounded like something running, but the actual individual footfalls was a little off. Thump-clop-click-click, thump-clop-click-click.

My snow white ears pricked at the noise and I sat forward, listening intently.

The footfalls grew closer, and a strange silhouette appeared in the distance. I could not describe it if I tried. I spotted several birds take frantic wing, fluttering away from the noise-maker.

"Oh, no, wait!" called a male voice. It cracked a bit when he tried to shout, and I chuckled at the femininity of it. The voice sighed, and the ungainly shape lifted off the ground without the slightest movement of wing or feet.

"H-hello?" I called.

The form jumped, but floated closer. I could see his shape clearly in the shadow on the leaves, but still couldn't tell you what he was.

"Who are you?" the voice murmured fearfully.

"Uh..." I momentarily forgot about my fake personality. "Uh... it's Sunny. Sunny Days."

"That's a pretty name," the boy muttered to himself. "Are you a pony?" he asked suddenly.

"Well... yeah. I'm a unicorn."

"Oh... that's too bad..."

"Ugh!" I huffed, standing up. "What's that supposed to mean?!"

The form pushed through the branches of the tree. "I'm not a pony. I'm a draconequus. My name's Discord! What's yours?"

"Y-you already..." I trailed off, staring at his various limbs. His head looked a bit like a goat, and he seemed to have a matching mane, but everything else was completely mish-mashed.

"Oh! I already asked that, didn't I?" Discord landed on the branch, weighing it down to the point where I slid toward him and into his chest. Discord took the chance to run a claw through my hair. It was now a powder pink, and it hung in gentle waves around my face. "You're pretty. How old are you?"

"F-fifteen..." I muttered, backing up against the trunk.

Discord gasped comedically. "No way! Me, too!"

"Uh-huh..."

"Hey! You wanna see a really cool trick?" Discord seemed to be more than a bit distracted. "I've been practicing. It's really cool! You'll love it! Can you sing?"

"Well... yeah, I guess so..." I answered, looking for a way down out of the tree.

"Oh, that's great!" Discord hopped off the branch and it sprung back into place, tossing me into the air for a brief moment. "Ready? Ready? Ready?"

"Mmph..."

"Okay, great!" He floated next to me, raising his two front appendages (which appeared to be a lion paw and an eagle claw) in a graceful pose. He swung down quickly with both, as though conducting, and after a few swings I started to hear faint music. The birds were all singing together, the same song, a song I knew.

Discord dropped his arms to his sides and turned to me.

"How..." I whispered, not being able to finish the sentence.

Discord shrugged. "It just works. Do you like it? Can you sing along?"

"It sure is... weird," I admitted.

"Come on, sing! Please?" Discord begged.

I sighed. "Why should I?"

"Because... because... you're really pretty... and, you know, nice... and I'd like to be friends with you," he stuttered, asking me if I wanted to be friends with him as though he were asking for my hoof in marriage.

"Um..."

"Oh, please?"

"Well..."

"Just a little, then I'll go away!" Discord clasped his paw and talons together. "I promise!"

"Oh, I guess..." I could feel my cheeks getting hot already.

I took a deep breath, waiting for the chorus to come around again.

The mist lifts from the forest
A new day has begun
The sun rises
And shines through the clouds
And you are safe and sound.

I sung softly with my eyes squeezed shut. I let my eyelids sneak open, catching a glimpse of Discord's face. He was utterly in awe, staring at me with eyes wide and mouth slightly open.

"Wow..." he whispered.

"Okay, I'm gonna go now." I muttered, dropping off the branch and heading away at a brisk trot.

"That was beautiful!" Discord insisted, following just a few steps behind.

"I'm going," I repeated.

"You have an amazing voice!"

"I'm going."

"Well, will you come back?"

"Going!" I broke into a gallop, breaking free of the heavy air of the forest.

"See ya tomorrow, Sunny!" he yelled after me.

And the strange thing was that I was actually thinking about it.