• Published 17th Dec 2013
  • 1,008 Views, 14 Comments

Sweetie Belle of the Ball - StageQuill



Sweetie Belle is asked to sing at the Grand Galloping Gala by Twilight Sparkle. Can a filly her age, without any real training, live up to the princess' expectations and wow the high-class ponies?

  • ...
0
 14
 1,008

Canterlot Palace

"Rarity- Here's where you'll stay. There's a studio adjoining." Twilight Sparkle said. (Adjoining, adjective: touching or bonding at a point or line.) She gestured to a door and opened it magically. Rarity's eyes almost popped out of her head.

"All that for me?" Rarity exclaimed. "Oh, Twilight-"

"Calm down." Twilight stopped Rarity before Rarity could start kissing Twilight's hooves."Why don't you go get settled." Rarity tossed her mane and retreated into her room. Twilight turned to Sweetie Belle.

"Your room is right next to Rarity's. The two rooms are connected by a door." Twilight opened the door to the room and ushered Sweetie Belle in. Sweetie Belle nodded to Twilight and gasped at the room.

It was round, which struck Sweetie Belle as odd. Carved into the wall were comfortable-looking chairs, a piano, and a bed. A huge four-poster with a lavender canopy covered in some sort of design.

The carpet was gold with pastel flowers and vines, as was the wallpaper. Sweetie Belle halted in the doorway, staring.

Twilight passed the awestruck filly and went in. "Is it a bit much? I decorated it for you." Twilight held her head proudly. "I read a dozen books on decorating and decided to give it a try. Any unicorn should be well rounded."

Sweetie Belle smiled in amusement as she recognized the last phrase as one of Rarity's. "I LOVE THIS ROOM!" Sweetie Belle hopped in and ran around it, taking everything in.

"I'm so glad you do!" Twilight grinned happily. "It's soundproof, too, so you can practice singing."

There it was. The reason Sweetie Belle got to stay in this room at the palace pulled the filly up short. Her throat tightened again. "Okay," She squeaked. Twilight barreled on.

"You'll sing for the princesses- including me- tomorrow at four. Is that good?" Sweetie Belle nodded. Twilight trotted to the door. "Well. I'll leave you to practice. Your bags should come up soon." Sweetie Belle nodded again and Twilight left, closing the door behind her. Sweetie climbed up onto the bed and saw the canopy design more closely. Music notes. A spiraling pattern of half notes, quarter notes, full notes, assorted rests...

Sweetie belle shook her head. Why was she so nervous, she wondered. It wasn't like before. She'd have a month of rehearsal with professional guidance, professional live music, and the princess' patronage. Not just one day of practice with other fillies, an adapted record soundtrack and nopony sponsoring her.

She'd be fine. Time to practice to see what Princess Celestia thought.

Sweetie Belle had decided on The Heart Carol for the Celestia song. It was simple and classic (Classic, adjective: judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind; a work of art of recognized and established value).

She jumped onto the floor and nervously began to practice.


"Sweetie Belle! May I come in, darling?"

Rarity tapped elegantly on the door to Sweetie Belle's suite.

"Come in!" Sweetie exclaimed. Rarity magicked the door open and walked in.

"Sweetie, your mood seems to have risen wonderfully. Shall I do your mane and pick an outfit for your concert?"

"It's not a concert, Rarity. It's a one-song evaluation. Just to see how good my voice really is." Sweetie Belle trotted over to her big sister. "How are you going to do my mane?"

Rarity took a brush from Sweetie Belle's nightstand. "Oh, casually. Perhaps- No, no, your mane and tail are quite fine as they are. You do take such wonderful care of them." Rarity finished brushing. "But perhaps..." Rarity opened a bag she'd brought into Sweetie's room. "Oh, yes, this hat will do wonderfully." Rarity placed the silver beret on her small sister's head. "Oh, you look darling! Adjust the angle- Oh, perfect. I must send a photograph to our parents!" Rarity dashed into her own room and took out a camera. "This was in my studio, with a note saying to use it for portfolio pictures and the like. This is fashion related, so- Smile, Sweetie!" A bemused yet amused Sweetie Belle smiled for the camera.


"Sweetie Belle!" The guard announced as Sweetie Belle entered the throne room. Rarity had steered her there at precisely four 'o' clock. Sweetie Belle's older sister had galloped away to finish Princess Luna's shoes promptly afterwards. The doors to the throne room opened and Sweetie Belle entered on four shaky legs. Her hooves felt cold and clammy and her stomach flopped with every step. Her throat felt tense.

"Hello, Sweetie Belle." Celestia said from her throne. Sweetie Belle knelt, like she had when Rarity was younger and they'd played together. Excellent kneeling lessons (Kneeling, verb: To be in a respectful position on one's knees). "Please stand." Celestia smiled at Sweetie Belle when she stood, kindly looking her in the eye. "What would you like to sing, Sweetie Belle?"

"The Hearty Carol." Sweetie said loudly, her chin up. She took a deep breath and began to sing.

When she sang, she'd found that once she got rolling, it had a calming effect. Thank Celestia for that. When she'd hit the last note, she looked nervously at the princesses. Had she sang well? She bit her lip nervously.

Princess Luna began to stomp her hooves first. Celestia and Twilight joined Simultaneously. Sweetie Belle grinned in spite of herself.

"Sweetie Belle, that was wonderful!" Celestia told the filly. "Will you sing at the Gala?

"Yes!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed excitedly. No doubts poked at the corners of her mind when she said that.

"Great!" Twilight said excitedly. Luna caught Sweetie's eye and simply smiled. Sweetie Belle bounced up and down in excitement.

"Thank you! Thank you!" Sweetie Belle said, grinning.

Celestia stood and walked towards the excited filly. Sweetie Belle stopped stock still mid-jump. Celestia laughed gently and helped Sweetie Belle up when she fell.

"Sweetie Belle," Celestia said, "Why don't I walk you to your room?"

Sweetie Belle's eyes went wide with excitement. "Okay!" She squeaked happily.

Celestia walked at a stately pace that Sweetie Belle could keep up with despite having shorter legs. The guards stood at attention as they passed and Celestia nodded regally to them.

Sweetie Belle stared up at the elegant mare that almost every filly in Equestria idolized.

"Sweetie Belle," Celestia said in her lovely, soft, soothing voice, "you know you do not have to sing at the Gala if you would prefer not to." Celestia looked ahead as they walked.

Sweetie Belle nodded. "I- I can do it." She said. Celestia was talking to her one-on-one. Wow. Princess Celestia. Sweetie Belle looked up at the beautiful mare, with nothing but adoration and awe in her mind.

Celestia nodded. "As long as you know you can always back out if it makes you comfortable."

"Okay."

Celestia smiled kindly again. "You are a lovely, intelligent, talented filly, Sweetie Belle." Celestia looked at the pastel-colored filly. "I'm sure you and your friends will all find your talents soon. I always knew my destiny, from the time I was new born. Never underestimate being able to learn what your talent is over time, Sweetie Belle."

Sweetie Belle looked into Celestia's eyes. Princess Celestia was telling her about her foalhood.

"I'll try, Princess." Sweetie Belle said in awe. Celestia stopped in front of Sweetie Belle's door.

"Here you are, Sweetie Belle."

"Thank you, Princess Celestia." Sweetie Belle said, bowing her head respectfully. Celestia smiled again and magicked the door open for the filly. Sweetie Belle backed into her room and Celestia gently shut the door.

"Princess Celestia talked to ME!" Sweetie Belle squealed once inside her room. "ME, SWEETIE BELLE!"

Sweetie Belle jumped around the room. "Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!" She ended up panting on the bed. "Calm down, Sweetie Belle. You have a job to do." The filly settled down and, flicking her pink-and-lavender tail, began to plan her song list or 'repertoire' (Repertoire, noun: a stock of plays, dances, or pieces that a company or a performer knows or is prepared to perform).



"Scoots! Babs! Ah got a letter from Sweetie Belle!" Apple Bloom burst into the playhouse late, especially considering that she lived on the property. "Ya know, since she's at the palace n' all."

Scootaloo crowded Apple Bloom. "Can I see it? What does it say?"

"Don't get your tails in a twist. Ah didn't open it yet." Apple Bloom put the letter on the clubhouse table. Scootaloo opened it.

"I'll read it!" Babs and Apple Bloom nodded and looked at Scootaloo as she read.

"'Dear Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and Babs,

Hi from Canterlot! I wish you guys were here. I haven't gotten too lonely because I've been constantly practicing singing or being fitted by Rarity (She waaaaaay overdoes it) but you guys would be great to have around.

I sang for Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and Princess Twilight. They actually liked it! They did! I can't believe it.

Then] Princess Celestia walked with me and talked to me alone after that! She said it's good to learn your fate for yourself and she knew what she'd be her whole life. I guess, but... I still want my cutie mark.

I have a really nice room to stay in. I'm staying in a really nice room. You'll see it when you come to the Gala (I get five guests. I'm inviting my parents and you. Twilight gets unlimited guests so I'm sure Applejack and Rainbow dash will be invited. She says if Babs wants anypony to come, Babs'll get one or two guests).

So, that's about it... Write back! Please! Please write back.
I miss you.
Love, Sweetie Belle.'" Scootaloo finished. "She really crossed out a lot. I wonder why. Seemed fine to me."

"She's Miss Dictionary Grammar freak." Apple Bloom said. "Ah miss her too."

Babs' eyes were wide. "I get to go to the Grand Galloping Gala? And I can take my sister?" she said. "Wow." She shook her head, trying to grasp it. "All the other fillies in my class will never believe it."

"They will if you have photos!" Scootaloo said happily. "I'm going to the Gala! With Rainbow Dash! And The WONDERBOLTS!" Scootaloo had a blank, happy expression on her face.

"Yeah! This'll be great!" Babs grinned.

"Woo-Hoo!" Apple Bloom crowed.

"Cutie Mark Crusaders debutantes!" Babs exclaimed. The other two fillies stared at her. "What?"


'C'mon, sleep!' Sweetie Belle told herself. 'Practice tomorrow! Celestia said she got a real Manehattan actress and singer.' Sweetie Belle rolled onto her stomach, then her back. That wasn't comfortable enough, so she tried her side. The bed felt fine. Sweetie Belle just couldn't sleep. Too many thoughts.

Since dreamland was miles and miles away, she decided to take another course of action. Was Rarity awake?

Sweetie Belle got out of bed and tiptoed to the door. Not a single floorboard creaked. She plonked her head down on the floor at the bottom of the soundproof door and listened hard. She heard- muffled, coming through the floor- the sound of mannequins being moved, bolts of fabric dropped. Rarity's organized chaos of working noises.

Sweetie Belle knocked on the door. The sound rang out through the room, unnaturally loud in the silence. Nopony answered, so she tried the floor at the bottom of the door. At that, the door opened to show a flustered Rarity standing in a spot of bright worklight.

"SWEETIE Belle." Rarity almost yelled but stopped herself. She'd learned her lesson about sisterly anger. "What are you doing up so late?"

"Um... I can't sleep." Sweetie Belle scratched one front leg with her other. She looked up at Rarity.

Rarity rolled her eyes. "Come in. I need to work, though, you must realize. The Gala is in a month, and I am the first ever dressmaker for the princess' Gala dresses! They usually appear only in their coats. It must be perfect! Even Cadance will be there, in one of my creations! And your gown- And my friends'- Even Apple Bloom, Babs and Babs' sister, a pony I have never met!" Rarity shut the door behind Sweetie Belle. Sweetie Belle trotted into the room and curled up on the bed to watch her sister gallop around the room, levitating dressmaking supplies with her horn.

Over the course of the next hour, Sweetie Belle saw a bodice grow from a pile of fabrics and spools of thread. Rarity chalked out where she'd cut the fabric. The magically operated scissors cut perfectly straight lines and curves.

Sweetie Belle watched as her big sister stitched and embroidered, quickly and effectively. Sweetie Belle thought drowsily that nopony in Equestria could make clothing as good as Rarity. The room, her sister's galloping around the bedroom where she kept her dressmaking supplies (She'd decided everything should be in one room. The studio, she made into a temporary sitting room), the comfortable palace bed, the general atmosphere all contributed to a dreamlike feeling. Sweetie Belle unconsciously hummed to herself as she slowly dropped off to sleep.


Rarity almost didn't admit it to herself, but she liked having her sister watching her work. She felt a quiet companionship between them as she frantically worked. She'd never made fourteen extravagant dresses in one month, and four of them were for royalty! Yes, Twilight had mostly low expectations, but still. Somehow, having another pony in the room kept her calm and collected, however frantic her movements seemed.

Every so often, Rarity glanced at the curled-up form of her little sister on the bed. At first, Sweetie Belle's wide green eyes were alert, watching her every move as she worked on the bodice for Twilight's dress. After a while, Sweetie Belle's eyelids began to droop, her head to dip. Within an hour, Sweetie Belle was fast asleep, breathing evenly, looking so sweet and innocent.

Once Rarity had finished the bodice, she allowed herself to take time to sleep. She didn't want to disturb Sweetie Belle, so she simply moved her into the normal sleeping position and crawled in next to her, covering them both with the blanket. Sweetie Belle woke briefly as Rarity moved her.

"What, Rarity?"

"Shh, darling. You can stay here. It'll be like when I was your age and you were a teeny, tiny, little filly. A baby."

"I remember that." Sweetie Belle fell asleep.


"Hello. Are you Sweetie Belle?" The pale blue and yellow unicorn mare at the door asked. Sweetie Belle nodded. "I'm Stagelight Glow. Your musical directer, sort of." Sweetie Belle stood back so the mare could enter. "Call me Stagelight," The mare added.

"I'm Sweetie Belle." Sweetie Belle said, and instantly felt ridiculous.

"So I've heard. So- Have you ever had lessons?"

"No..."

"Can you read music?" Stagelight asked.

"Mmm-hmm." Sweetie Belle said. "And play piano."

Stagelight looked surprised. "No lessons?"

"No lessons. I just- figured it out." Sweetie Belle shrugged.

"Mmm." Stagelight nodded, interested. "Let's see how high you can go."


Dear (rest of the) Cutie Mark Crusaders,

I had my very first singing lesson today! I have a really pretty teacher. Her name is Stagelight Glow and she lives in Manehattan. Babs, do you know her?

Anyway, I chose the song I'm going to sing! The 'Cutie Mark Crusaders' Theme Song'! It's really good, Scoots, and makes me think of all of you.

I might not have a lot of time to write, if today is any indication (I like that word). I have been doing so much singing!

I miss you. Three weeks until the Gala!

-Sweetie Belle


The Cutie Mark Crusaders stared at the letter Derpy had delivered.

"I do know her." Babs said, surprised. "Barely anypony in Manehattan know each other. But what a coincidence. I know her."

"That was a short letter." Scootaloo said.

"Well, she said she's awful busy." Apple Bloom said. "She says she misses us." Apple Bloom picked the letter up in her teeth and put it with the first they'd received.


"You're doing great, Sweetie Belle. You have a wonderful memory for lyrics and pitch." Stagelight praised her pupil. Sweetie grinned. If a Manehattan singer thought she could sing, then she definitely could sing! Who cared what Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon thought. Sweetie Belle even half-hoped they'd get invitations to The Gala, just so Sweetie could see their faces when Celestia thanked her onstage and everypony loved her song. All nervousness had fallen away, and Sweetie couldn't wait for her performance.

"Can we go over it again?" Sweetie asked.

"One more time." Stagelight looked at the clock on the wall. "I need to go back to Manehattan for a few days and the train leaves tomorrow. I'll be back in a week." Stagelight looked at Sweetie.

"Is everything okay?" Sweetie asked nervously.

"It's all fine. My friend has a very important job ceremony." (Ceremony, noun: A formal religious or public occasion, typically one celebrating a particular event or anniversary.)

Sweetie Belle smiled. "Okay! Let's sing again!" She hopped up beside the piano and played her starting note. Stagelight laughed and hummed with her pupil.


"Sweetie Belle! Your tea is today!"

"Tea?" Sweetie Belle poked her head above her covers.

"To stir up interest for your first performance!" Rarity said. "We want everypony to know about it!"

"First?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Oh, Sweetie, don't you know you'll be doing one before the Gala as well? One the day before." Rarity pulled her sister out of bed and set about brushing her mane. "A few elite Canterlot citizens will be having tea with you today to spread the word!" Rarity finished Sweetie's mane, twirled her around, and stuck a hat on her head. "Come, darling."

Sweetie Belle trotted after Rarity to a palace sitting room. They stopped at the door. Rarity opened it with magic and stepped in, Sweetie Belle following her.

"Sweetie Belle!" Twilight called from the corner of the room, where she was eating a small tea cake. "Rarity!" Twilgiht rushed to them.

"Hi, Twilight." Sweetie said.

"Everypony, this is Sweetie Belle, the fillly who will perform for us."

Suddenly, Sweetie Belle was flocked with elegant canterlot citizens, asking her questions.

"What style of song do you have?" An old mare with an extravagantly styled mane asked.

"Um- mine?" Sweetie answered uncertainly.

"Oh, how witty she is!"

"So sweet!"

"Do you take lessons?" A pale green stallion asked.

"Yea- Yes!" Sweetie Belle answered. "A Manehattan singer teaches me. But I never took them before-"

"Have you been in Canterlot before?

Sweetie nodded. "My sister-"

"How did you get the chance to sing at the Gala?"

I was singi-"

"Have you sang in public before?

Have you met the princesses?"

Sweetie Belle gave up on verbal answers, nodding or shaking her head instead. Then the chattering crowd fell silent and bowed. Sweetie turned to see Princess Celestia behind her.

Sweetie knelt.

"Sweetie Belle is a very talented filly. I have decided to sponsor her performance" Celestia told the Canterlot elite. They gaped. This Sweetie Belle must have talent, to be sponsored by Princess Celestia herself. Celestia nodded and walked to her sister, who was at the pastry table choosing a cake. Sweetie Belle took advantage of the fact that the other ponies were still in shock at the fact that the princesses would attend a humble tea and trotted over to Twilight Sparkle. Rarity was in the middle of two stallions, laughing coquettishly. Twilight, on the other hand, had managed to fade into the scenery, princess or no.

"Twilight, hide me!" Sweetie said urgently. "To many questions!" Sweetie crawled under Twilight and hid there. Twilight looked at the filly. "Calm down. It'll be over soon." The alicorn levitated a cake down to where Sweetie Belle was hiding. "Here. This is delicious."

Sweetie Belle reached out. "Yum!" She said.

"Come out." Twilight said. Talk with me. People won't interrupt us unless we ask them to. I'm a princess."

Sweetie Belle crawled out and stood up. "Stagelight is really nice."

"The mare we hired to teach you? Yes, I thought you'd like her." Twilight looked at the clock. "Five more minutes and this'll be over." She said. "So, do you like the room?"

"I still love it!" Sweetie said. "And Rarity won't let m,e tell you much, but your dress is amazing!"

Twilight smiled. "I can't wait to see it. Your sister is so talented. Both of you. Your parents must be proud."

"They are!" Sweetie said.

"How are the other crusaders doing?" Twilight asked. Sweetie Belle tilted her head.

"Fine, I think. Their last letter didn't say much."

"Mmm." Twilight said. "When are they coming?"

"To- Tomorrow, I think." Sweetie Belle told the princess.

"You didn't send them the tickets and information?" Twilight raised her eyebrows. "It says the day after tomorrow."

"Oh! I didn't know I was supposed to..." Sweetie Belle's eys widened. "I forgot to even send them a letter lately!"

Twilight looked at Sweetie with slight alarm. "You forgot your friends?" She said, horrified.

"No, I- I've been so busy-" Sweetie Belle said. "Look! The tea's over. I'll go write to them and send them the tickets." Sweetie dashed away. Twilight sighed.


Dear Sweetie Belle,

It's been a week. Why haven't you written any letters? Are you superduper busy?

We miss you. Applejack got a letter from Rarity detailin all the stuff she's been doing.

Rainbow Dash did too! It was all dresses and stuff.

How's Stagelight? My sister said she's in Manehattan for something.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon teased us for being blank flanks the other day and Miss Cheerilee caught them and it was hilarious! Miss Cheerilee was so mad at them that she made them stay in at recess and write sentances about how they wouldn't do it again.

We miss you!

We really miss you!

Love,

Apple Bloom
Scootaloo
Babs

THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS

p.s Please Please please write back if you can we miss you!


Dear Apple Bloom, Babs and Scootaloo,

I'm really busy. Miss you!

Tickets enclosed.

Love, Sweetie Belle


"That letter was really short." Scootaloo's ears drooped.

"She said she was really busy..." Apple Bloom didn't sound as if she meant it. "Ah mean, she must be. Really busy. She said she misses us."

"She didn't use proper grammar all the way through." Babs noted.

"It's gettin' closer to The Gala." Apple Bloom said staunchly. "She must be practicin' all the time now."

"I guess." Scootaloo said. What she meant was, 'I hope.'

"Let's pack up."


"Stagelight!" Sweetie Belle threw herself on her teacher as the mare entered the room. "I practiced so so so so so much while you were gone!"

"That's great!" Stagelight extricated herself from Sweetie Belle's hug. "Today, after our warm-up, you'll practice with the orchestra.

"THE ORCHESTRA?" Sweetie Belle's eyes almost popped out of her head. "YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!" She jumped up and down, then contained herself. "Let's start warming up!"

"Stagelight hit the staring note on the piano. "Ahhhhhh"


Sweetie Belle could feel her heart swell as she walked into the theater where she would rehearse and, later, perform. The stage was made of a deep, glowing brown wood, and the red velvet curtains reflected light and seemed to shine. The orchestra sat in a half-circle below the stage, in the pit. Sweetie Belle walked elegantly up to the stage and climbed on. The stairs were made for full-grown ponies, not fillies and colts, but she scrambled up, glad for the times when Scootaloo made her climb crazy trees and such. The memories of her friends gave her a quick pang of homesickness, but she brushed it off. She'd see them soon enough. This evening, the train carrying her friends would pull in to the station.

"Hi, everypony! I'm Sweetie Belle!" Sweetie Belle told the orchestra. She tapped the mic. "This is on, right?"

"Yep!" Stagelight said from the orchestra pit. "I'll be here the whole time. Why don't you start?"

Sweetie nodded and took a deep breath. The orchestra began to play. She'd modified the song to make it more of a show tune than a rock song.

"When you're a younger pony
And your flank is really bare-" She began and let the song sing itself. That's what it felt like for her; She wasn't singing the song, the song was singing itself through her. As she finished, she looked out over the empty audience.

Almost empty. In the back, she saw-

"Babs! Scoots! Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle shouted, forgetting the mic was on. The amplifiers squeaked and the other ponies in the room winced and covered their ears. The other Crusaders laughed and ran up to the stage.

"Sweetie Belle!"

"How are you?"

"Great! The palace is wonderful, and-"

"Excuse me?" A mare in the pit stood up. "This is rehearsal for the Grand Galloping Gala, not playtime for fillies."

Sweetie nodded. "Okay. Hey, why don't you guys go sit with Stagelight?" She turned away from her friends, towards the microphone. The three fillies trotted confusedly off the stage and into the pit, next to Stagelight Glow.

"Okay Sweetie, start again."