• Published 18th Oct 2013
  • 7,096 Views, 115 Comments

Secret of a Shy Pegasus - TimeLord_Whooves



Fluttershy can't seem to go through her day without being reminded of something from her past.

  • ...
5
 115
 7,096

The Truth

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK.

“Fluttershy, open up!”

The yellow pegasus walked over to her door cautiously and looked through the peephole. Standing just outside her door were her friends.

“Fluttershy, we need to talk to you!” Twilight called through the door.

“Go away and leave me alone!” Fluttershy shouted back.

“Fluttershy, please open up.”

She was only met with silence.

“Come on, Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash yelled. “Why don’t you want to talk to us?”

“Because I’m a horrible pony who isn’t even brave enough to raise her own daughter,” Fluttershy sobbed at them.

“Being afraid does not make you a horrible pony, Fluttershy,” Rarity said soothingly. “Many ponies are afraid of being parents.”

“But they don’t abandon their foals like I did!”

“That may be true,” Twilight said through the door, trying to keep her voice as calm and comforting as possible. “But you’ve still got a chance to fix that mistake.”

“How can I make this any better, Twilight?” Fluttershy sobbed at her.

“Ya can take responsibility and go get yer daughter back,” Applejack said rather angrily.

“What if she doesn’t want to be with me after she finds out about what I did?” Fluttershy cried.

“Having a mother and being upset at her is better than being alone and sad,” Pinkie said, her voice dripping with sorrow. “Scootaloo has nopony at the orphanage who cares for her.”

There came no response from Fluttershy at this. She turned her head to the window and looked out into the sunlight, tears streaming down her face.

Twilight and the others waited to see if Fluttershy was going to open the door. Five minutes passed in pure silence, until Rainbow Dash began to get impatient.

“Wouldn’t you have rather known your mother, Fluttershy?” Rainbow shouted angrily.

Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Applejack all stared at Rainbow with looks of shock.

“Her mother died when she was little,” she said in response to her friends’ stares.

Fluttershy simply started to whimper behind the door, just loud enough for them all to hear.

“You know the difference between you and Scootaloo?” Rainbow asked, her tone dropping to one of soft concern. “She has the chance to know her mother, if you’d go and tell her the truth.”

Fluttershy stopped sobbing and opened the door just enough so they could see her face.

“I-I just can’t,” she said, her voice wavering. “I c-couldn’t bear her b-being a-angry with me.”

“You don’t know for sure if she will be angry with you,” Twilight said soothingly. “You just have to take that chance and hope that she will just be happy that she knows that she has a mother who loves her.”

At this, Fluttershy opened the door all the way and looked at her friends. They all had reassuring looks on their faces and Twilight was holding out a hoof to her.

“I-I don’t want to go alone,” Fluttershy said softly, looking down at her hooves.

“We can all go with you,” Twilight said, to which everypony nodded in agreement.

“Oh, thank you all,” Fluttershy said as she began hugging all of her friends tightly.

They all began walking to the orphanage but once they got to town square, three certain fillies ran across their path.

“Hey, sis,” Apple Bloom said excitedly.

“Rarity!” Sweetie Belle piped up. “What are you all doing out here… You’re not looking for us are you?”

“Well, yes and no,” Rarity responded with a small smile. “While we were hoping to run into you three, we weren’t actively looking for you.”

“Why were you hoping to run into us?” Scootaloo asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Well, squirt, we have something we need to tell ya,” Rainbow said, hovering over to the orange pegasus filly. “Well, more specifically, Fluttershy needs to tell ya.”

Fluttershy visibly tensed up.

“Oh, well, what was it you need to tell me, Fluttershy?”

“Oh… um, w-well…” Fluttershy started, looking to her friends for support. They all just nodded eagerly at her.

“Uh… H-how about we just walk and talk?” Fluttershy asked, letting her nerves get the better of her.

“Okay…” Scootaloo said unsurely.

Twilight and the others all sighed and shook their heads, though they brightened up a bit when they noticed that Fluttershy was at least walking to the orphanage.

“What’s goin’ on?” Apple Bloom asked the rest of them.

“Well, sis, Fluttershy is going to tell Scootaloo a very important secret that she’s been hiding for a long time,” Applejack answered with a smile.

“Really?” Sweetie Belle asked loudly.

“Yes, darling, but you have to keep quiet until Fluttershy tells her,” Rarity said after taking her hooves away from her ears. She knelt down to Sweetie Belle’s level and whispered, “Now, don’t get too excited but, Fluttershy is actually Scootaloo’s mother.”

Sweetie’s jaw opened wide and she was about to burst out screaming but Rarity put her hoof to her sister’s mouth just in time.

“What did I say about keeping quiet?” Rarity said sternly. “She’s going to tell Scootaloo any moment now, when she does, then you can let your excitement out.”

Sweetie Belle nodded and looked at Apple Bloom with a huge smile. Before anypony could say anything else however, Fluttershy nervously called back, “Y-you coming?”

Everypony jumped and scrambled to catch up with the two pegasi.

They all walked along, nopony saying anything. Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and even Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, all were getting more impatient as they walked along in silence.

The orphanage was now in sight and Scootaloo began to get nervous.

“Uh… You never did say what you wanted to talk to me about…” Scootaloo said as they got closer to the old building.

Fluttershy just looked directly ahead of her as she walked, not answering the young filly. That is, until they reached the front of the orphanage where Fluttershy finally stopped and turned to Scootaloo who was quivering as she turned from the building to face Fluttershy, her eyes full of worry.

“Are you happy here, Scootaloo?” Fluttershy asked keeping her tone even.

“W-what do you m-mean, am I happy here?” Scootaloo asked nervously. “D-do you mean, in Ponyv-“

“You know what I mean, Scootaloo,” Fluttershy said, her voice still even and devoid of emotion. “Are you happy at the orphanage?”

“What does she mean, Scoots?” Apple Bloom asked, stepping ahead of the group.

“I-I don’t know,” Scootaloo said defensively. “I don’t live here.”

“Don’t lie, Scootaloo, I already know that you’ve been here your whole life,” Fluttershy said, a little more sternly than she had meant to.

Scootaloo’s ears splayed back as she asked, “H-how do you know that?”

Fluttershy took a deep breath and said, calmly, “Just tell me if you’re happy here first.”

“I… I…” Scootaloo suddenly broke down crying as she shouted, “I live in an orphanage… What do you think!?”

Fluttershy moved to put her hoof around the filly, but Scootaloo pushed it away and dropped to the ground sobbing.

“Nopony cares about me here, I have no friends here and I’m so ashamed that I live here, that the friends that I do have, don’t know anything about it! Would you be happy, living like that?” Scootaloo asked, looking up to look Fluttershy in the eyes.

Fluttershy shook her head and moved closer to the sobbing filly. She said in her most comforting voice, “I… I just want you to know that… you don’t have to stay here anymore.”

“Huh?” Scootaloo said as she gave Fluttershy a perplexed look.

“What I meant to say before…” Fluttershy started before shaking her head. “What I’ve meant to tell you for a long time now is… that I’m actually your mother, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo backed away, her eyes still full of tears and now confusion. She asked, “A-are you really m-my mother?”

Fluttershy nodded, putting on a small, sad smile.

“Then why?” Scootaloo asked softly. “Why did you leave me here all alone? I’ve been miserable here! Why didn’t you keep me and raise me yourself?”

Fluttershy began to cry softly. “Because… because I w-was afraid. I didn’t know how to take care of a little filly and I was afraid of what other ponies would say… I was so young when I had you and I was also already taking care of animals, I couldn’t take care of all of you at the same time, I just… I just didn’t know what to do.”

“S-so you chose your animals over me, your own daughter!?” Scootaloo asked incredulously.

Fluttershy shook her head. “I just had too much to handle, I gave many of the animals away too.”

“What about my dad? Why didn’t he take care of me?”

Fluttershy looked down at her hooves. “He doesn’t know about you… He left me before you were born. You wouldn’t want him to take care of you anyways, he turned out to be an even worse pony than I am.”

Scootaloo ran up and hugged Fluttershy tightly saying, “You’re not a bad pony. Even though you couldn’t take care of me yourself, you still looked after me, you’ve always been there when I needed somepony. I don’t care that you left me, you stayed close enough to keep an eye on me and help me when I needed help. Even if I wasn’t living with you, you still acted like a mother would.”

Scootaloo sat there crying in Fluttershy’s hooves. Their friends smiled brightly at them, deciding not to disturb their moment.

It was a while before Scootaloo broke free from Fluttershy and she gave her mother a watery smile before saying, “Thank you for telling the truth.”

Fluttershy smiled back warmly. Seeing this as a cue, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle ran up and gave Scootaloo a huge hug.

“This is great!” Sweetie Belle said, her voice cracking.

“Yeah, though, we are a bit sad that you felt you couldn’t tell us that you lived in the orphanage, we are so happy for ya!” Apple Bloom said excitedly.

Scootaloo smiled and returned their hug, saying, “I couldn’t be happier. I finally found out that my mom is the kindest pony I’ve ever met and she wants to take me back!”

“This is all so wonderful!”

Everypony turned to the door of the orphanage. Unbeknownst to them, one of the mares who ran it came outside to see what all the commotion was about and stumbled onto the touching scene.

She smiled brightly at them all and said, “I’ll go and get the paperwork ready. Scootaloo, you should go and get your things packed and be quick, we’re going to get through all the paperwork in a jiffy.”

Without another word, the mare ran back into the building. Fluttershy nodded at Scootaloo and they both followed, Scootaloo going up the stairs to get her things and Fluttershy over to the front office where the mare was waiting.

It didn’t take long for Fluttershy to finish all the paperwork and Scootaloo was already waiting outside the office. Fluttershy grabbed Scootaloo’s hoof and lead her out the door, the mare still in the office waving them goodbye.

Their friends had already left, thinking it best that they get time to be together for a while.

Fluttershy turned to Scootaloo, a warm smile on her face, and said, “Shall we go home then, Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo returned the smile and said, “Yes… Mom.”

Comments ( 28 )

can you add more chapters for this story so it can be longer or make a sequel for this story

WAIT did RD TELL her that she isn't ready?

4139548 Big Macintosh would NEVER abandon a mare he accidentally got pregnant. His pride and his sense of duty wouldn't let him.

Why is it just now ending? The story isn't over yet. We need to know how Fluttershy and Scootaloo's relationship grows!

Complete?

ofmusingsandwonderings.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/you-keep-using-that-word1.jpg

This story can't be complete. There is so much more to be covered. Please tell me there is a sequel in the works?

4139548
Sorry, no. Not this story.

4139957
OMG! I just laughed while trying to do the voice at the same time! :rainbowlaugh:
And, in answer to your question... maaaaaybeeeeee...

Some people didn't pay attention to my last blog post apparently... :trixieshiftright:

I'm not going to cry tears of joy for how the story turned out...I'm not. :fluttercry:

Great job on the entire tale. Thank you for such a great read. :yay:

I look forward to the next chapter

4139800 but he could make an EPIC stepfather

4140690 oops sorry this comment was soppose to be for one of your other stories

Ok that felt kind of rushed...

awwwwwww so cute and also son of a shit its over

4139691 Didn't Rd say she wasn't ready to be a mom? Is it that she met Shy's kid, know her situation and the sort, that it made a difference in opinion? She didn't exactly say the whole situation at hand. It would suck for Scoot to know that her own mentor made her mother doubt her abilities to raise her....

4152537
No, Rainbow never said Fluttershy wasn't ready, she said that she was too young and was already taking care of a lot of animals, I know that seems a bit like saying she's not ready but it's not exactly the same thing. She was worried that Fluttershy couldn't handle the stress of taking care of all her animals and a foal. And yes, she did change her mind after having known Scootaloo and being more confident in Fluttershy. As for the rest, this particular story may be complete but that doesn't mean it's the end of this tale...

Beautiful, now I feel like this is real:pinkiesad2:

4663363 Loyalty does not necessitate, "keeping secrets."

And as we all know, Rainbow Dash is as blunt as a battering Ram:trollestia:.

Rainbow Dash is known to say completely thoughtless things, that's because she doesn't think before talking:rainbowhuh:.

aw crap the feelings are killing me this story is so wonderful! my heart is busting with sheer happiness and all I can say is "Well done!"

Thanks for making this story now I can finally stop crying about that mlp comic!

Scootaloo ran up and hugged Fluttershy tightly saying, “You’re not a bad pony. Even though you couldn’t take care of me yourself, you still looked after me, you’ve always been there when I needed somepony. I don’t care that you left me, you stayed close enough to keep an eye on me and help me when I needed help. Even if I wasn’t living with you, you still acted like a mother would.”

I really, really like this story. Like, a lot. But... this went by way too fast.

Login or register to comment