• Published 18th Oct 2013
  • 7,096 Views, 115 Comments

Secret of a Shy Pegasus - TimeLord_Whooves



Fluttershy can't seem to go through her day without being reminded of something from her past.

  • ...
5
 115
 7,096

The Dilemma

It was a long time before Fluttershy calmed down enough to move from her couch. When she finally did, she looked over towards her fireplace. Up on the mantle was a picture in a silver frame of her and the Cutie Mark Crusaders when they had stayed the night with her. Her eyes fell on the small orange filly sitting in the center, smiling brightly and hugging her two friends tightly together.

“I think I should tell her the truth. What do you think Angel?” Fluttershy asked, scooping the bunny up in her hooves.

In reply, Angel’s stomach growled and his cheeks flashed red.

“Oh, well then I guess we’d better get you something to eat,” she said as she headed for the kitchen.

Fluttershy opened cupboard after cupboard only to find that all she had left to eat was broccoli… that had gone bad.

“Oh my, looks like we’re going to have to go to the market.” Angel’s stomach growled loudly again. “And fast.”

Fluttershy put on her saddle bags, jotted down a quick shopping list, and went out back to check the animals’ food. Might as well stock up on everything if we’re going to the market.

She went back inside to pick up Angel and settled him on her back before making her way into Ponyville proper.

The market was fairly empty, being so early. Fluttershy only just then realized how early Scootaloo had woken her. Many of the market stall must just now be opening.

Sure enough, as she looked down the road there were unmanned stalls and some just now opening their curtains and setting up their wares.

“Let’s hope that the stalls we need are open,” Fluttershy said, turning her head to face Angel before walking up the road to visit the Carrot’s stall.

It didn’t take long to get everything on her list. All the stalls were already open by the time she got to them, with the exception of two, celery and cherries. She managed to get all of her shopping done in ten minutes.

Fluttershy was starting to head home when her vision was filled with pink and she was knocked backwards to the ground letting out a stifled shriek while the contents of her saddle bags to spilled everywhere.

“I finally found you Fluttershy!” the pink mass shouted excitedly.

“Pinkie? What’s going on? Why did you suddenly attack me?” Fluttershy asked, tears in her eyes.

“I didn’t attack you, silly. I just tackled you,” Pinkie Pie said with a smile so big, nopony else could match it. “Sorry I made all of your groceries spill all over the place though, let me help you pick them up.”

With one blurred motion, Pinkie picked up everything and stuffed it all back into Fluttershy’s saddle bags before hopping back in front of her.

“Well, thank you, but you shouldn’t be tackling ponies,” Fluttershy said, trying to keep her voice level.

Pinkie just smiled, ignoring what Fluttershy said, and bounced excitedly saying, “Fluttershy! You’ll never guess what I saw last night after the party!”

Fluttershy just stood there, waiting for Pinkie to tell her.

“Come on, you’re supposed to guess,” Pinkie said flatly.

“Oh, uh…”

“I know where Scootaloo lives!” Pinkie shouted before Fluttershy could say anything else.

“What?”

“I know where Scootaloo lives,” Pinkie said again, stressing each word. “Jeez, do I hafta spell it out for ya?”

“No, I mean, I thought Scootaloo lived…” It was just then that Fluttershy realized that she didn’t actually know where Scootaloo lived, or who her foster parents or parent was.

“Well of course she lives; she wouldn’t be walkin’ and talkin’ if she didn’t live.”

“Never mind that. How did you find out where she lives?” Fluttershy asked, mentally berating herself for not knowing already.

“Well, last night, after the party, I followed Scootaloo home because I was worried when she was the last to leave. I offered to take her home but she refused, saying she would be fine, she always walks home alone. But since I was worried, I followed her to make sure she would be fine but I had to keep hiding and she kept walking around the same block for like an hour, like she knew I was following her or something. But then she finally started walking down this one street and did you know she still lives in the orphanage?” Pinkie finished without taking a single breath.

“What?!” Fluttershy shouted in her usual soft tone disbelievingly. “You mean, she’s never been adopted?”

“Well, I went and checked to see if she had been adopted before but then went back for some reason, cause I knew you’d want to know once I told you that she still lives there, but the pony at the front desk said that Scootaloo has been there ever since they found her on the doorstep. Apparently nopony wants to adopt a filly who doesn't have a known parent, something about possible health risks later in life, ponies would rather have a foal they could be sure won't have any issues.”

Fluttershy just listened with her hooves covering her mouth and her eyes watering.

“I’m such a horrible pony!” Fluttershy shouted as loudly as she could while turning to run back home.

“Fluttershy, wait!” Pinkie shouted after her, but Fluttershy was crying too loudly to hear her. Pinkie sighed and her face and mane dropped sadly.

“Pinkie Pie? What’s the matter?”

Pinkie looked up with tears in her eyes to look at the pony now standing next to her which turned out to be a group of ponies.

Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were all standing around Pinkie, all with curious and worried expressions.

Upon seeing tears in Pinkie’s eyes, Rarity asked, “Pinkie, darling, what happened? Are you alright?”

Pinkie just sat there, in the middle of the road, staring at them all, her lower lip quivering.

“C’mon, Pinks. Ya can tell us anything,” Applejack said in her most reassuring voice.

“Pinkie?” Twilight asked, moving in front of her.

“I made Fluttershy cry!” Pinkie shouted in Twilight’s face as she began to sob openly, causing Twilight to jump back in shock and fall onto her back.

After helping Twilight to her hooves, Rainbow Dash asked, “How did you make her cry?”

“I d-don’t know,” Pinkie said through her sobs. “I guess I s-said something w-wrong.”

“Pinkie, I’m sure that whatever happened, we can work it out,” Twilight said after dusting herself off.

“B-but, I thought it was g-gonna make her h-h-happy, but she j-just started cry-ing and ran away!”

“Pinkie, just calm down an’ tell us what ya said ta Fluttershy,” Applejack said, rubbing Pinkie’s back comfortingly.

“I-I can’t t-tell you.”

“What? Why ever not?” Rarity asked, confused.

“Because I made a Pinkie Promise,” Pinkie said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash looked at each other and said, “Oh,” simultaneously.

“Well… Is there any way you could tell us what’s going on without telling us what you promised to not tell?” Twilight asked cautiously.

“I can’t even tell you using hypothetics, Pinkie Promises have rules ya know,” Pinkie replied haughtily. “But I can give you some details.”

Pinkie just sat there again, not saying anything. Twilight and the others were all subconsciously moving closer to her, waiting for her to speak.

Getting impatient with Pinkie, Rainbow shouted, “Tell us already!”

“Jeez fine! You don’t gotta be so mean,” Pinkie said indignantly.

“You said you could tell us some details,” Twilight said, trying to bring Pinkie back on topic. “What can you tell us?”

“Well… I can tell you that it’s about Scootaloo and I told Fluttershy about Scootaloo living in the orphanage-“

“Well no wonder you made her cry!” Rainbow shouted, cutting off Pinkie. “You do know that Scootaloo is her-“

Rainbow Dash clapped her hooves to her mouth before she could say any more.

Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie were all staring at Rainbow now.

“Scootaloo is Fluttershy’s, what exactly?” Twilight asked.

Rainbow Dash hovered above her friends for a moment, deliberating with herself before dropping down to the ground defeatedly.

“Grr, it’s not like she could keep it a secret forever!” she shouted at nopony in particular. “Scootaloo is Fluttershy’s daughter!”

Everypony gasped and stared at Rainbow in disbelief.

“Wait,” Pinkie said, putting her face into Rainbow’s. “You knew too?”

“Of course I knew, I’ve been friends with Fluttershy longer than anypony. What I’m wondering is how you found out, ‘cause I know she wouldn’t tell anypony about it herself.”

“I found out on accident, right before Scootaloo’s birthday party,” Pinkie replied.

“Okay, so you both knew,” Twilight said before Pinkie could go off on a whole story which would undoubtedly turn into some random inconsequential thing. “Now that we all know, can you tell us what it is that you said to make Fluttershy cry?”

“I guess it doesn’t matter anymore,” Pinkie said, considering. “I told her that Scootaloo hasn’t been adopted ever since she left her there.”

“What!?” Rainbow shouted. “How is that even possible, I thought she had been adopted a long time ago.”

Pinkie shook her head sadly. “I went and asked one of the mares that works at the orphanage and she told me Scootaloo’s
never been adopted. Ponies are worried she'll have issues since nopony knows who her mother is.”

“Well, whatever happened, we need to go and comfort Fluttershy and convince her to do the right thing,” Twilight said as she began to walk up the road towards Fluttershy’s cottage.

Author's Note:

It's finally here. Sorry it took so long to get this done, better late than never right? Hope y'all enjoy.