• Published 18th Oct 2013
  • 7,097 Views, 115 Comments

Secret of a Shy Pegasus - TimeLord_Whooves



Fluttershy can't seem to go through her day without being reminded of something from her past.

  • ...
5
 115
 7,097

The Secret

It was late; the usual chatter from the nocturnal animals seeped in through the windows as Fluttershy, Ponyville’s resident animal caretaker, was trying to get some sleep.

She tossed in her bed, unable to find peace in her dreams.


“Oh, Rainbow Dash. How nice to see you, come in,” a younger Fluttershy said, stepping to the side of her door to allow her friend in. “How are you?”

The younger Rainbow Dash began pacing. “Fluttershy, something’s been bothering me.”

“What is it?”

“You,” Rainbow said as she turned to face the yellow pegasus.

“W-what about me?” Fluttershy replied, her voice beginning to fail her.

“I can’t believe you’re still here waiting for that guy! He left, don’t you get it? No matter what he said or what you think,
he’s gone and he’s not coming back!” Rainbow shouted, stomping her hoof.

“You’re wrong!” Fluttershy shouted, closing her eyes to hide the tears forming in them. “He’ll be back. He promised he’d come back… He promised…”

“I know you want to believe that, but you have to accept the fact that he’s gone.”

Fluttershy burst out crying, dropping down to the floor as she put her hooves over her eyes. Rainbow put a comforting hoof on her shoulder.

“H-He said, n-no matter what h-happens, h-he’d a-always be there for me,” Fluttershy sobbed.

Rainbow lay down next to her crying friend and hugged her. “I know Flutters, I know.”

The two lay there as Fluttershy continued to cry into her friend’s mane. Rainbow Dash running her hoof comfortingly through the sobbing mare’s mane. It was a while before she began to calm down.

“Fluttershy?”

“Hmm?”

“This may not be the best time, but we should probably also talk about that,” Rainbow said, pointing to the bulge in Fluttershy’s belly.

Fluttershy cringed with a quiet whimper.

“What are you going to do with it?”

“I… I don’t know yet,” Fluttershy replied softly, her voice was a bit hoarse from her crying.

“You’re not seriously thinking about keeping it are you?”

Fluttershy looked up at her friend with sadness in her eyes. “Well, I don’t really see why not, I mean, I am it’s mother, I’m very caring, and I have a home for it.”

“Fluttershy, this cottage is filled with animals! It’s no place for a foal,” Rainbow said as she waved her hoof around the cottage. She sighed, “What it needs is a mother who isn’t going to struggle to make ends meet just to take care of it. You already take care of all these animals; you don’t need the pressure of taking care of a foal too.”

“But I can’t just abandon it, that’s horrible. What would ponies think if they knew I abandoned my foal?”

“Frankly, I’d be more worried what they think if they found out you had one in the first place. It’s not exactly normal for pony your age to be having foals; you’re barely old enough to be living on your own.”

Fluttershy got up and sat herself on her comfy armchair, looking at her friend pleadingly. “I know I could take care of a foal,” she said, her confidence draining.

“Look Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said flatly.” If you want to keep it, then keep it; but it ain’t gonna be easy. You’re far too young to take care of a foal and you know it. And you know that he’s not coming back to take care of you.”

Fluttershy just sat in her chair, cradling her bulging belly, tears starting to fall down her cheeks again.

Rainbow sighed. “It’s your choice Fluttershy, but I really think it would be better for the both of you if you gave it away.”

Fluttershy began sobbing quietly again. She knew Rainbow Dash was probably right, but she just couldn’t bear the thought of her little foal given to some family far away where she wouldn’t be able to see him or her ever again.

Rainbow shook her head and left her friend sobbing in her chair.


Fluttershy could feel the tears on her cheeks, but what woke her, was the tears pooling on her pillow. She slowly got up, rubbing her eyes gently. It was just a dream, Fluttershy. Just a dream… Even if it really did happen…

Looking up at her clock, Fluttershy realized that it was about time to get up anyways. She rolled onto the floor, made her bed, wiping the tears off of her pillow, and walked into her bathroom. Perhaps a nice soothing, hot bath is just what I need to get these thoughts out of my mind.

As she drew her bath, her mind kept turning to her dream. Stop it, that’s not helping anypony.

She dipped her hoof in to test the water. It was just a little warmer than she wanted it, but she’d get used to it. She lowered herself into the hot water and instantly relaxed. It was as if the water had washed away all her fears and sadness and left nothing but calm, contentedness.

After she finished her bath, Fluttershy quickly set off to drying herself off and styling her mane back into its usual long, curl. The animals would be waking up soon and she needed to get their food out before they got upset.

“That should be everyone’s bowl,” Fluttershy finished five minutes later. She cleared her throat and sang out, “Okay everyone… breakfast.”

Animals came rushing out from their cages and holes in the walls, some coming in through the windows, and even some larger animals came in through the door.

“How are all of my special friends doing today?”

There was a general chatter that rose up from this question, every squeak and squawk sounded bright and positive.
Angel Bunny came running through the crowd of animals and hopped up on the mare’s back, hugging her neck tightly.

Fluttershy smiled. “It’s so good to know you’re all happy.”

She laughed as Angel bounded off her back to his bowl.

Suddenly, there was a knock on her door.

“Just a second,” Fluttershy called as she made her way around the many bowls, doing her best not to step on anyone’s tails or other body parts.

When she finally reached the door, she opened it to find three very familiar fillies standing there, each holding a clipboard. Her eyes wandered over the Crusaders and stopped on the young pegasus of the group. Without warning, her mind jumped to another old memory.


She was in immense pain. There were ponies standing around her, one of them kept telling her to breathe, over and over. It was starting to get annoying.

Finally, she gave a mighty push and the room was filled with the cries of her newborn foal.

“Congratulations,” came a voice from her left, “It’s a girl.”

The nurse gently handed a tiny bundled magenta maned, orange pegasus filly to Fluttershy.

She looked down on her newborn daughter and smiled.

“Sh-She’s so beautiful,” she said in awe.

“What are you going to name her?”

Fluttershy’s smile faded into a pained frown.

“I… I still need to think about that,” she replied softly.

***

Fluttershy was sitting in her cottage, her new filly still in the basket Fluttershy had brought her home in. She just sat in her chair, looking at the bundled up foal, thinking. What if Rainbow Dash is right? What if I can’t handle taking care of a foal?

A tiny, baby bunny hopped up to them, curious about what was in the basket. He peeked his head over to look inside the basket and frowned in confusion. He poked the little part of the foal that wasn’t wrapped in its blanket, causing the filly to start crying.

Fluttershy looked up at her daughter again, the crying instantly catching her attention.

“Angel bunny, be gentle with her,” Fluttershy said as she stepped over, picked up the bundle in her hooves, and began to cradle her gently. “She’s younger and more fragile than me or you.”

Angel just looked up at Fluttershy and at the wrapped up filly. He hopped up into Fluttershy’s hooves and tried to push the bundle out of his way.

Fluttershy instantly pushed Angel off her hooves with her muzzle. “No Angel! You mustn’t hurt her, she’s precious.”

Angel tried again to hop into Fluttershy’s cradling hooves but was met with the side of her hoof, causing him to fall back to the floor. Fluttershy lowered her hooves and looked down at the bunny in worry. She didn’t swat him away; she only raised her hooves higher so he couldn’t jump into them.

Seeing the bunny look so hurt on the floor sent a shock through Fluttershy’s body. Oh no, Rainbow was right. I can’t take care of my animals and a foal.

More critters began to gather round Angel, all looking up at her with curious eyes. She couldn’t take it, what if she hurt another of her animals trying to keep her foal safe? She didn’t want to think about it. She started to panic. Without thinking, she placed the little wrapped up filly back in the basket, grabbed the basket’s handle in her mouth, and ran out the door.

It was dark and cold out. Fluttershy began to cry silently as she ran with the little basket up the street. She didn’t stop until she reached a tall, stone building. She looked up to make sure she was where she wanted to be.

The sign above the door read, Ponyville Orphanage.

She hesitated, whimpering slightly and looking up and down the street to make sure nopony was around. Reassuring herself, she slowly made her way up the stone steps. She set the basket down in front of the door and peered inside it.

“I’m so, so sorry,” she whispered to the orange filly snuggled in the basket.

With new tears filling her eyes, Fluttershy quickly knocked on the door and fled as fast as her hooves could take her.


“Fluttershy!” the orange pegasus filly shouted, snapping Fluttershy back to reality. “Are you okay? You spaced out for like a whole minute there.”

“Oh… Yes, I’m sorry. I was just … thinking… What can I do for you girls?”

“Will you sign our petition to save the Ponyville clock tower?” Apple Bloom asked, pushing her clipboard up to Fluttershy. “Mayor Mare wants to tear it down so they can build a parking lot.”

“It’s a big part of Ponyville’s history you know?” Sweetie Belle chimed in.

“And it will get us our cutie marks for sure this time,” Scootaloo added proudly.

“Oh, yes, of course. Let me just get my quill and I’ll sign it.”

“I have one right here!” Sweetie Belle said excitedly.

Fluttershy smiled, took the quill from the filly, and signed the petition, saying, “There you go; one signature.”

“Thanks Fluttershy!” All three of the Crusaders shouted as they took the clipboard and quill.

As they turned to walk away, Fluttershy began to tear up again. “I’m so, so sorry,” she whispered.

“What?” Scootaloo asked, turning to face Fluttershy again.

“N-no, nothing!” Fluttershy sputtered, “I-I was just saying sorry about the clock tower.”

“Oh,” Scootaloo said, brightening up. “Don’t worry, we’re on the case! We’ll save it, just you see. Bye Fluttershy!”

Fluttershy watched her run to catch up to her friends, a sad smile spreading across her face.
“I’m so proud of you.”

As she walked back into her cottage, Fluttershy began to sob. She walked over to her couch and flopped herself down onto it, pulling one of the pillows on it close and cuddling it.

Angel Bunny watched as his friend flopped herself on her couch and cautiously made his way up to her. Hopping up next to her, he gently hugged the crying mare’s foreleg.

“Oh, Angel. Don’t w-worry. I-I’m fine.”

***

Fluttershy hummed to herself as she walked out of her kitchen, not really paying attention to anything in particular. As she bounced to her tune, her gaze drifted up to her clock.

She immediately stopped bouncing. “Oh my, is it that time already?”

She quickly scooped up Angel and ran out the door towards town.

Fluttershy was greeted by the owner of the toy store as she entered. She slowly walked around, looking for the perfect gift.

Every year, I buy a nice, well thought out gift for Scootaloo’s birthday. I also buy a small meaningless one.

She left the toy shop with a large, wrapped box on her back and a small one in her saddlebag. Making sure she wasn’t being followed, she then made her way over to Sugar Cube Corner, where Scootaloo’s birthday party was going to be held.

While everypony is out, I sneak in to the party, and leave the big one, without a name of course…

She walked up to the table where there was already a couple of presents and placed the large present on it. She looked at the gift and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

The meaningless one has my name on it naturally. I keep it for when I show up at the party… If I have the courage to show up, that is.

Angel, noticing that Fluttershy was crying again, hopped onto the table and up into her hooves, giving her his most comforting of hugs.

Without either of them noticing, Pinkie Pie was watching from the top of the stairs. She had just been about to go down to add her own presents to the table when Fluttershy had walked in. Seeing that Fluttershy seemed to not want anypony to know she was there, she stayed out of sight.

I know it’s stupid, but I see it as my way of saying…

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you… My poor baby.”

Fluttershy turned and left, leaving Pinkie Pie alone at the top of the stairs. Pinkie’s eyes began to water as understanding dawned on her.

***

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SCOOTALOO!”

The orange pegasus filly instantly brightened. She practically rose a couple of inches in excitement and joy. “Thank you everypony,” she said, running up to the table with her presents, making everypony around laugh.

“Open the big one! Open the big one!” Apple Bloom shouted in excitedly.

Chuckling, Scootaloo said, “Geez, you seem more excited than I am.”

Without another word, she complied.

Fluttershy watched happily from her spot in the corner, by herself.

“Oh wow!” came Scootaloo’s voice from the table, causing Fluttershy’s smile to grow. “It’s so cool! Look at this you guys.”

“Wow!” squeaked Sweetie Belle.

“That’s awesome!”

It filled Fluttershy with such joy to know how much Scootaloo liked the gift, but also sadness, knowing that the filly wouldn’t know that it was from her.

“It’s a very nice gift Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy turned to face the voice in shock.

“You should be proud of yourself,” Pinkie Pie said, turning to face the shocked mare.

Fluttershy just stared. How did she know?

“Don’t worry about it,” Pinkie continued, a tear falling from her eye. “I won’t tell anypony.”