• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 564 Views, 16 Comments

I Felt, Therefore I Was - Cynical



Work has begun on a new project for Twilight Sparkle and it will change her life forever.

  • ...
3
 16
 564

9. Three Steps Back

The Journal of Twilight Sparkle – 25th November 1007

The safeguard should be easy enough to implement once I study the data that I gathered during the experiment. The backfire itself hurt, and still does for that matter. It really, really, really hurts. Yet it seems dulled to me at the moment. My initial assumption from the entry before was correct; I was unable to break my own focus in the face of the unknown. It was, however, broken as my assistant came in through the unlocked door to find me.

This broke my focus sufficiently to lose control of the spell, sending the burst of energy which I was holding inside my brain haywire. As far as I can tell by feeling, it scored a direct hit against the pain receptors inside my brain, bringing me an agony of which I had never dreamed possible for the next hour. It was obvious that I had been testing upon myself and when I finally came to, uncurling myself to blink in the harsh light, my assistant was gone.

I think she was furious at me, but I don’t know… When the pain finally faded, I found myself in my bed, two stories up from where I had been previously, yet with no sign of my assistant. She wasn’t in the house and the only thing that showed her presence was a single note on the fridge: ‘Out’.

I think she was mad… completely furious perhaps. I suspect that I’ll find out in a few hours if she returns here. I can only hope that I can explain my way out of this in such a way that doesn’t end with her leaving, if only because I would be unable to follow her as this migraine pounds its way through my head.

I’m sorry,
Twilight Sparkle.