• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 9,623 Views, 221 Comments

Party Animals - DARKPHANTOM13



Once again Spike is left alone at the library while Twilight is away. Bored and tired of always staying inside he decides to go to a night club with a friend.

  • ...
30
 221
 9,623

Unwanted Dating Advice

Spike thought it was going to be a calm, rather uneventful day. Today he was making his way towards Rarity’s shop. Spike was expecting his day to be a regular day of mostly work: pick up leftover gems, make small talk with former crush, spend a dull day working at the library while getting back into an old hobby, work at his new job for the afternoon, and go to bed.

Too bad fate had other plans.

The drake knocked on the door only once before it was opened by a rather enthusiastic Rarity.

"Oh Spikey, it's good to see you," the dressmaker greeted her friend. The mare had a smile wide enough to rival Pinkie Pie’s and a gleam in her eye.

Spike could only groan in his head when he recognized that look. She always got that look in her eyes whenever she was about to put every ounce of effort into helping someone with something–whether they wanted it or not–and Spike had a pretty good idea which poor soul was going to be the target of her attention this time around. Truthfully, it probably wouldn't be as bad as he thought it would, but she didn't have the best track record when she gets like this. Around six or seven times out of ten, she usually made things even more complicated instead of helping.

"Hey, Rarity. I'm here for the gems you don't need," Spike said while he thought, 'Better make this quick before it snowballs, with me buried underneath it.'

"And I have them ready for you." Her horn lights and suddenly a somewhat hefty bag covered in a light blue magic field is pulled from behind her back and floats into his claws. "However, I was hoping to have a quick chat with you about something."

"About what?" Spike asked. He already had a pretty good idea what the topic is, but the drake was mentally praying to Celestia that he was wrong. 'By my holy mother, please let it be anything but my date.'

"Your date. I was hoping to learn what you have planned. Maybe give you some ideas, tips, and such."

'Thanks a lot mom.' Spike grumbled in his head. "I appreciate the offer, but I think I can handle it."

"Oh pish posh Spike, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't give you any advice? To be honest I was starting to worry about you. For as long as we've known each other, you haven't once even so much as looked at another mare romantically, let alone asking one out."

For the first time in recorded facial expression history, Spike had managed to combine a deadpanned stare, a glare, and a stink eye into one venomous look.

"What?" Rarity asked, becoming somewhat unnerved by the look. It took her a minute to realize what the matter was. She at least had to decency to sheepishly blush. "Right, sorry about that darling." Soon her look was replaced with determination. "All the more reason for me to help you nab this mare."

Spike dropped the look in favor of rolling his eyes. While he had gotten over his crush on Rarity, that kind of comment in this situation would, at the very least, annoy anyone with a shred of self-worth. Besides, he knew that she didn't mean to insult him. Rarity tends to put her hoof in her mouth without knowing it sometimes.

"Thanks for the offer, but I got this. This is actually our second date and the first one went pretty well. Besides, I have to go man the library anyway."

"That simply means you have to one-up the previous date. And don't worry about that, I was planning to close the shop for the day anyway," She says as she absentmindedly walks out of the store and locks the door. "I was thinking something fancy, there is a new restaurant that recently opened that would be absolutely perfect."

"Too bad my date isn't the fancy type. Like I said Rarity I got everything under control," The drake replied as he walked back to the library, with Rarity walking right beside him insisting on her help. Spike sighed as he realized that Rarity wasn't going to let this go anytime soon.

'I can already tell that this is going to be a long day. I wonder if Vinyl is having a better time than me.'

________________________________________

Let it be known that Vinyl did not like mornings. Years of late night concerts, partying, and DJing would make anyone the anti-thesis of morning ponies. Vinyl Scratch was no exception.

"Vinyl! It's time for breakfast!"

She once again wondered why did she decided to move in with someone who was a morning pony. She grunted as she covered her head with her blanket. There were very few things in this world that would make her wake up before eleven o' clock after a late night.

"I made French Toast!"

Sadly for her sleep deprived self, Octavia's famous French Toast was one of them. With the promise of a delicious breakfast soon to come, she dragged herself out of bed and got ready for the day. If she didn't, then her best friend would get on her case and might not serve her breakfast. However, when she got to the kitchen, she saw that the mare was still cooking.

With a twitching eyebrow, Vinyl grounded out through gritted teeth, "You lied to me."

"Yes. Yes, I did," Octavia replied without an ounce of shame or regret. Her eyes never leaving the meal being prepared on the stove. "Sorry, but it turns out we’re out of coffee, and I need you to go to Sugarcube Corner to get some."

The cello player might be a morning person, but the only way for her to keep her good mood was with coffee. And to be honest, there was no way of getting the DJ out of her morning funk without a cup of Joe as well. As much as she wanted to go back to bed, Vinyl's need for her morning fix of coffee could not be denied. The thought of the miracle elixir combined with the cello player's amazing French Toast was too much to ignore.

With a reluctant sigh, the white DJ said, "Fine, but that French Toast better be extra delicious."

"Thank you, and it will be. The bits are on the table."

The bluenette sighed as she grabbed the money and walked to Sugarcube Corner with a slouching posture and a drag in her step. Her mood was extremely noticeable to the few early morning ponies out and about, which is why they gave her a wide birth. She was thankful for this since she didn't want to go through the effort of interacting with anyone unless she had to, and she didn't trust herself to not bite somepony's head off.

As the large, edible-looking, bakery came into view, she did her best to lighten up her mood and steeled her nerves for the trial ahead.

Once she set hoof into the building, she was greeted with a loud, "HEY VINYL!"

The DJ grimaced at the loud noise, but managed to force a smile. "Hey Pinkie, can you get me and Tavi's usual order to go?"

"Sure!" The pink mare turned towards the kitchen and, much to Vinyl's dismay, yelled, "TWO LARGE CUPS OF HALF JOE AND HALF CREAM! ONE VANILLA AND ONE HAZULENUT TO GO!"

"Got it!" Vinyl could hear Mr. Cake yell from the kitchen.

Pinkie turned back towards Vinyl and asked, "How is the new job treating you?"

"Pretty good so far, but we'll have to wait and see," The white mare stated without any emotions due to her lingering funk. Though it appeared that it didn't affect Pinkie's almost constant cheer.

"And Spike?" A teasing smirk slowly grew on the party pony's face. "How are things going with you two?"

The mentioning of the dragon slightly lifted Vinyl's bad mood a little bit. "Pretty great, at least I think so. We have a date planned for Sunday."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you too! You got to let me help you set it up!" Pinkie was practically hopping in place now.

"I appreciate the thought, but we already have it planned out and we want to keep it simple." In her mind the white mare was hoping that her fellow party lover would drop it there.

When it came to helping ponies, Pinkie would either let them work it out for themselves–after her help is denied the first time–or continue trying to help them with the stubbornness of a bull. Whether she did one or the other was basically a coin toss and Vinyl was hoping her luck holds out.

It appeared that Celestia or Luna decided give her a break. "Okay, but you have to tell me how it went and have your next date here."

Vinyl managed to work up a smile and said, "Sure thing, Pinks."

Mr. Cake came out of the kitchen with the two large cups of coffee in hoof. After paying for the two, Vinyl grabbed the beverages in her magic and went back home for a wonderful breakfast.

________________________________________

Spike was calmly working on a ruby with his recently found gem sculpting kit. His skill had grown incredibly rusty from neglecting his hobby for so long, so the drake decided to sculpt simple shapes for now. At the moment, he was trying to turn the somewhat rough gem into a cube.

"How about buying her some jewelry darling?"

"No."

The purple dragon honestly forgot how relaxing and fun this was. It was just as enjoyable as playing the piano or the saxophone.

"Do you need a new tuxedo?"

"Not going to need one."

Not only was it relaxing, but he could eat the unneeded pieces he chipped off or save them for later. He's been wanting to try the new recipe for ruby and white chocolate chip cookies that he came up with.

"I can see if I can get you a reservation at this fabulous restaurant in Canterlot."

"Thanks, but we're staying local for this date."

Now if only Rarity could take a freaking hint. The drake appreciated what she was trying to do, he really did, but the stubborn mare just wouldn't take no for an answer. At this point it had gotten repetitive and annoying.

"How about-"

"Sorry to interrupt, but are you doing to stop anytime soon?"

"Nope."

"And there is nothing I can say to get you to drop this and leave?"

"Not on your life, darling."

It was then that Spike really wished that he didn't get out of bed that day.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait and the short chapter. Was taking a break and ended up in a runt. Next update will be for Dragon's Pride.

Thanks again to StarBlade for his/her editing skills.