• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 7,701 Views, 106 Comments

Flutterrants - Bombastic Bookpony



A slightly AU tale where Assertive!Fluttershy got to rag on Twi, Dash, and AJ too.

  • ...
6
 106
 7,701

The Reason You Suck

Rarity and Pinkie ran off, crying. Fluttershy honestly didn't know why. She had only been telling the truth. They just wanted the old Fluttershy back. The one they could walk all over and laugh at. The one Pinkie would pat on the head, calling herself her aunt when Fluttershy's A YEAR OLDER THAN HER. Who was Pinkie to think she could do that, as if old Fluttershy was just a shy little filly and Pinkie was the big wise older sister to rescue her. Some big sister she would be anyway. Apparently, Gilda making her cry wasn't enough for Pinkie to stand up for her. She just threw one of her pointless, stupid parties for the Griffon. She had hoped that Pinkie was the one pranking Gilda, that someone else actually felt furious about what Gilda did. But nope, it was just Dash and a bunch of coincidence. They were probably thinking, 'Oh, you can't blame Gilda for making Fluttershy cry! That pony cries at the tip of a hat!' and then they'd laugh. Oh she could imagine the laughs at her expense. She had heard them enough times in her life that she could imitate them perfectly.

And on Rarity, that pony- Her bout of anger was interrupted by the sound of wings flapping from above. Dash.... I was just thinking about you!

"What the hay was that!?" Dash yelled with righteous fury. "When I heard that you had finally stood up for yourself, I was happy for you! I thought you had finally ponied up. But while I was napping on the cloud over there, this yelling woke me up. And who was yelling? You! At our friends! I mean for Celestia's sake, Fluttershy, they're our friends! You can't do that to them! It goes against your Element!"

Fluttershy could finally take no more. Her fur bristled. Being criticized by this pony, of all ponies, for going against her Element? Maybe old Fluttershy would've buckled and apologized, weeping at Dash's feet. But new Fluttershy wouldn't take any more of this! When a pony gives you flack, make sure that they pack! "Really? Really!? You are criticizing me for going against my element? You!? The so-called 'Element of Loyalty'?" She let out a big laugh. "That's a good one, Dash! Best prank yet! Cause there is no way you can be serious, with your track record!"

"What?" Dash said indignantly.

"Oh, how do I count the ways! Remember when we went up against that dragon, the dragon you almost got to kill us by the way? What was that delightful nickname you gave me? Dead Weight, right? I have ears, you know! Or how about the Gala tickets, where you were oh so eager to have the tickets all to yourself? The pets, where you put their lives in danger for your pride? Mare Do Well, where we had to dress up in order to keep you from showboating so hard that you forget to actually save someone. And here is the coup de grace, Dash! Gilda." Dash, who's face before was a dumbstruck rage, stiffened. Fluttershy restrained from grinning. She also felt a pang of regret at how far she'd had gone and fear at what would happen if she continued. But the pang disappeared when she remembered the day she got her Cutie Mark. She had thought Dash was in that race to defend her honor, because she cared about her. But par the course for Old Fluttershy, she was too naive to see the truth. Dash was just looking for an excuse to show up the bullies. She didn't care about Fluttershy, and Dash proved it when she didn't even notice her falling to her possible death. If it wasn't for those butterflies, she'd be dead because of her! But she'd let it go, because old Fluttershy was too meek and forgiving and cowardly to let her true feelings out. Well, new Fluttershy was going to enjoy twisting this knife in.

"Didn't even try to mend bridges, did ya? Just fine dumping her for all your new, cool friends, huh? With her personality, and being a Griffin and all, you were probably her only friend. She probably didn't want to lose you to these six new pony friends who popped out of nowhere. 'Course, it happened anyway. Makes you wonder why we were so surprised at the maze. Heck, on the day you got your Cutie Mark, you didn't even notice me falling to my death, Dash, because you were too focused on you!" Fluttershy relished the intense guilt in Rainbow's eyes. "Element of Loyalty, my flank Dash! You're just a selfish pony in for herself going after something you're never gonna have! I mean, you performed a Rainboom twice and you're still not in the Wonderbolts! Get over it, Rainbow Crash!" Fluttershy smirked triumphantly. That would teach her.

Dash was obviously holding tears, but her eyes were shooting death glares. She searched for words, but faltered. Finally, she said this. "You know what, Fluttershy? We're done." And with that, she flew away in a blur.

"Guess you can dish it out but you just can't take it, huh, Dash?!" she yelled. She heard hooves clopping up. Oh come onnnn. It's Little Miss Lecture.

"Fluttershy, what's going on? Pinkie and Rarity just ran past me crying, and Dash obviously isn't okay with the way she flew off!"

Fluttershy huffed. "They're just jealous of the new me. That they won't have old Fluttershy to kick around anymore!"

Twilight looked surprised. "You thought we kicked you around? That we mistreated you? Is that what this is about? I see, you must be letting out all those pent up feelings. It's good to let them out, but you gotta do it respectfully. Let me get Rarity, Pinkie, AJ, and Dash, we can all apologize to you and vice versa, talk it out, and our friendship will be stronger than before!" Twilight clapped her hooves together.

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. Oh goody, another lecture on the power of friendship. Other ponies always thought they knew what was best for her. Old Fluttershy would've meekly agreed. Old Fluttershy would've allowed Twilight's condescension to continue. Old Fluttershy let her get away with the pitying glances, with assuming what was best for her! Like on Nightmare Night when she forced Fluttershy to help Luna despite the fact she was scared for her life because Fluttershy's just the scaredy baby they all need to take care of and push beyond her boundaries. Or with Philomena, when she had kept that superior tone the whole day! Hay, even on that first day they met she thought Fluttershy was just a waste of time! To look down on her when she was wasting her life on 'the study of friendship'! No more! NEVER AGAIN! After all, when someone gives a lecture, go use your dentures! "I guess you'd be right, Twilight, considering that it's your life goal to study friendship."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean?

Fluttershy took a moment to enjoy the calm before the storm. "I've got a few questions, Twilight. You were in Equestria's most prestigious magic school as the Princess' own student, right?"

"Yeah?" That stupid eyebrow still raised high and that tone she took when she thought you were asking stupid, crazy questions. Ugh!

"And you've got all As, graduated at the top of your class?

"I don't mean to toot my own horn, but of course!" Of course! she imitated in her head.

"You wrote papers and academics wondered what will this student study, what will she reveal to the world?"

"Um, Fluttershy, where is this going?" She gave Fluttershy a quizzical look.

"With all that training, all that brainpower, and you're here studying friendship?! Newsflash, Twi! Most ponies learn all they need to learn about it in kindergarten! But not you, huh? Didn't have any friends? Bullied? I mean there has to be a reason why you went loony just at the thought of going back to magic kindergarten!" She chuckled.

Twilight was hurt, stunned, off-balance. She even staggered a little! "Fluttershy, stop-"

"No! I'm not finished!" Twilight didn't get to decide when she was being too kind or too scared or too mean! NO MORE! "Don't you wonder why you're here and not in Canterlot anymore, discovering things about magic beside Celestia's side? Huh? Well, I'll tell ya! She doesn't need you anymore! Didn't even fight to keep you. She's a smart cookie! All she ever wanted was for you to bring back her real sister, and when you did, she didn't need you to fill the void anymore! You served your purpose. She cast you off like a wet tissue!"

Twilight teared up, her voice cracking, body trembling. "No, that's not true! Celestia loves me!"

And in for the kill, then comes the thrill! "Use that big brain of yours Twilight. You know it's true."

"I.... I... Oh!" Tears streaming from her face, she teleported away. Fluttershy smiled. That would make sure nopony would tell her what to do again! She could hear the huffing of the dragon pet,sorry, assistant huffing to catch up.

"Twi! Wait!" he said, taking deep breaths. "Soon as she saw Rarity and Pinkie crying, she rushed over here! What's happening to everypony?" Fluttershy ignored him haughtily, examining her hooves, watching the sky. "Um, 'Shy? Are you listening?"

Spike. The annoying little dragon brat who put out stupid jokes by the second. Yet another being who had made a joke out of her. Laughing at her when the Poison Joke had changed her voice, giving her yet another degrading nickname, 'Flutterguy'. To make fun of her, when his life was infinitely more pathetic!? WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND! First you act like they're not there, then you kick them in the derriere!

"Spike!?" she shouted with mock surprise. "How long have you been here?"

Spike gave her a deadpan expression. "For about 30 seconds now."

"Oh, sorry, It's just hard to notice someone as minsicule and pathetic as you."

Spike looked worried. "Uh oh. You're acting mean again! Discord must've gotten out!"

Fluttershy cruelly laughed. "Nope,Spike! I'm not grey, as you can see all the way down there. This is the new Fluttershy, and new Fluttershy decides she doesn't want to bother with wastes of time like you!"

Spike's eyes widened with hurt. "Fluttershy, why-"

"Why are you so pathetic? Well, for one, you think Twilight actually cares about you, about her 'number one assistant'. But face it, Spike, you're just a glorified pet!" she spat. "Nopony likes you! You're just there to pick up the books and send out the letters. If you ever stopped, I'm sure Twilight could trade you in for a better model."

"That- that's a lie!" But there was doubt in his eyes.

"Is it? I mean, why would anypony like you? You're immature, stupid, and abrasive. And while we save Equestria and/or Ponyville, you do absolutely nothing, besides wasting your time going after somepony way out of your league. Rarity will never love you, and you know why? Because you're not an Element. You're not even a real dragon! You're useless! Not even your own race likes you, judging by how they kick you out of their caves in seconds! You're not a pony, and you're not a dragon. What does that make you? I'll answer! A freak. A misfit. Nothing," she growled in his face. "Now get out of my sight."

Spike was letting the tears and snot flow freely. He was not as graceful a crier as the others. Made it that much sweeter. He ran off, barely avoiding tripping over his own feet. New Fluttershy was on a roll!

Sarcastic clapping hit her ears as AJ trotted up to her.

"Ya happy?"

"Save it, AJ! I don't need your pity anymore! I don't need you carrying my dead weight!"

AJ shook her head. "It was never pity, sugarcube. I was just helping a friend. I do the same for the rest of 'em."

Fluttershy snarled. Lies! Applejack had to be lying! Nopony could put up with pathetic Old Fluttershy without pity, without that satisfaction of helping a social outcast. Applejack was holding her back those days! Kept her from learning to be strong on her own! SHE WASN'T DEAD WEIGHT! Remember, if they show you pity, then you make them less giddy! "Like I can trust anything you say! Some Element of Honesty you are! Remember when we had to find you, AJ? You didn't even tell us where you were! We could've spent weeks wondering if you were even okay! So don't bother telling me that this isn't me, because you're one to talk!"

Fluttershy expected anger or sadness, wanted those, but instead Applejack's face was one of calm acceptance. "I agree, what I did was pretty darn awful. No arguments. But I've come to peace with it. And I know this is you, sugarcube. We all saw it thanks to Discord, and that kind of cruelty don't come out of nowhere."

Finally, a pony who gets it! "I'm assertive now! No more being a doormat, no more being a worthless piece of space! That was the old Fluttershy!"

Applejack shrugged. "That's just your opinion. Me, I rather liked Old Fluttershy. Didn't seem that worthless to me. She helped stop Nightmare Moon and Discord. She saved me from a giant dragon all by herself because her friends were in danger." Bah! One or two moments of bravery doesn't make up for the lifetime of fear! But AJ had more to say.

"She kept doing something she hated just to please a friend." Exactly.Old Fluttershy didn't think for herself, always did what others told her! Making others happy wasn't worth it. What had Rarity done for her anyway? Besides the spa sessions, the free dresses, how whenever old Fluttershy felt lonely or hid herself from the world, calling herself pathetic, she'd come in with flowers or chocolates or beautiful new fashion and a smile and would talk to her. Nothing specifically, just talking... No! You're letting Applejack get to you! You were just her pet project, to show off how she could make anypony beautiful and sociable!

But Fluttershy could see Applejack's mouth twitch for a second, knowing she was having an effect. "She even took in the Princess' sick pet not for ransom, but to make that pet feel right as sunshine again! Why, if I went over all the great things Old Fluttershy did, well, we'd be here for weeks. She was a pony you could be proud of having as a friend." Kinda true. Most ponies wouldn't go against the Princess just to help a sick pet. That's a bit assertive... Just another sign of how she let animals walk all over her! Philomena made her think she was dead! For a joke! SHE WOULD NEVER BE A JOKE AGAIN!

Applejack still wouldn't let up. "New Fluttershy, though? Not so sure about that. She makes her friends cry and takes pleasure in their pain. Is that who you really are, sugarcube? Is that who you want to be? Cause if you're happy like this, then I'll get up and leave right now, you're a lost cause. But look at yourself, Fluttershy. Look in that there puddle for one second," she finished, pointing at the nearby puddle. Fluttershy looked, and saw a monster. A monster who roared and tortured and laughed at others pain. But a monster who would never be pushed around again, who wouldn't be laughed at or taken for granted. "Are you proud of New Fluttershy, sugarcube?" Was she? A doormat or a monster? Which was better? Which one was the real her? Which?

Fluttershy took off into her home without another word.