• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 5,753 Views, 377 Comments

Thirty Days, Thirty Twilights - Esle Ynopemos



A daily-updated collection of short stories featuring the loveliest of lavender librarians.

  • ...
4
 377
 5,753

PreviousChapters Next
9: A Good Night [Romance]

((Prompt: The mane six all wake up in Sugarcube Corner after a wild night. But everypony remembers last night differently.))

Applejack's muzzle wrinkled as sleep slowly faded from her. Something brushed the end of her nose, and her eyes fluttered open to see what it was.

Upon discovering that it was a purple hoof, she grinned broadly and snuggled up closer to it. The faint lavender scent brought memories of last night to her, which she happily savored as she dozed. Sitting out on the newly fixed roof of the barn, sipping a mug of cider and staring up at the stars while Twilight recited the names of every one of them.

Applejack couldn't quite remember how they had gotten back down, nor falling asleep on the floor of Sugarcube Corner where she now found herself, but she knew it had been one of the best nights she'd had in a good long time. One she and Twilight would repeat at some point, if she got her way.

*

Rainbow Dash yawned and tried to stretch her wings, but found one of them pinned beneath somepony. She did not need to open her eyes to know who it was. She lay there, content to feel Twilight's warm, soft coat against her feathers and replay the previous night with her in her head.

It had been a playful game of cloud-tag. Twilight was still a terrible flier, no match at all for Dash, so she went easy on her. Never flying too fast for her to keep up. Always whirling just out of reach of her. Close enough that Rainbow could see the gleam of moonlight in her eyes. Close enough to catch her lavender scent every time Twilight beat her wings against the cool night air.

They must have come in the upper window of Sugarcube Corner at some point, because that was where Rainbow found herself now. Probably a good thing, because sweet rolls were an awesome breakfast to have the morning after the best night-flight Rainbow Dash had ever had. She couldn't wait for a chance to do it again.

*

Rarity quietly stretched her sore back. Sleeping on the floor was usually out of the question for her, but one look at the peacefully sleeping face before her reminded her why she had made an exception last night.

Fitting a dress for an alicorn had always been a challenge she had wanted to tackle, and Twilight had made it just so deliciously fun for her last night. They'd been up until the small hours of the morning, sharing wine, trying on gowns, telling stories and giggling all the while. Twilight's voice had carried a musical quality to it, and even as their conversation had dwindled with the late hours, it had still been an absolute pleasure to listen to her.

No doubt the wine was responsible for the gap in her memory between the Boutique and Sugarcube Corner, but waking up on the floor was a small matter compared to waking up next to Twilight. She nuzzled Twilight's forehead and closed her eyes. She would need to find some excuse to fit her for more dresses in the future.

*

Something shifted underneath Fluttershy's wing. Traditionally, this would be cause for alarm for the timid mare, but when that something was Twilight Sparkle, it drew only a happy sigh from her as she gave Twilight a gentle squeeze.

The previous night had been magical. She had shown Twilight to one of her favorite places, a small grove out in the woods. In the daytime, it was beautiful enough, but at night... The only thing more breathtaking than the sight of all those fireflies twinkling through the air had been Twilight's expression of pure wonder and joy as she beheld them.

She was not completely certain how they had gotten to Sugarcube Corner from there, but she was very certain that she would be taking Twilight back to that grove again. If that was all right with her, of course.

*

Pinkie had a tail to snuggle into, which she did with great gusto. It was a soft tail, very warm and cuddly, and it smelled like Twilight and it made her remember the great party she'd had the night before.

All previous party wisdom had held that parties were better when there were more ponies. This idea was seriously called into question, because there had been only two ponies present at last night's party, but it had been one of the best parties Pinkie had ever had. She and Twilight had danced, and laughed, and played games, and Pinkie had not even noticed there were no other ponies there.

She did not remember all the rest of her friends being there when she and Twilight had finally dropped from exhaustion, but it seemed to her an extra little bonus. One thing was for sure: she was going to have more two-pony parties with Twilight.

*

Twilight groaned, her eyes slowly opening. Her horn, her legs, her wings... her everything hurt. She felt like she had just run a marathon, fallen down a stairwell, and pulled an all-night study session all at the same time.

“Ugh,” she muttered, tenderly rubbing her head. “That's the last time I ever cast that 'Everywhere-at-Once' spell!”

She looked around her, finding herself cuddled on all sides by friends with sleepy smiles on their faces. A soft yawn built up in her. Okay, perhaps she couldn't quite rule out the possibility of ever using the spell again.

PreviousChapters Next