• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 5,753 Views, 377 Comments

Thirty Days, Thirty Twilights - Esle Ynopemos



A daily-updated collection of short stories featuring the loveliest of lavender librarians.

  • ...
4
 377
 5,753

PreviousChapters Next
6: This Will Sting [Romance] [Sad] [Slice of Life]

((Prompt: Character A has done or is going to do something which will hurt Character B, and A knows they’re going to hurt B, but A is going to do it anyway.))

“This is going to sting a bit,” Twilight said, holding a pair of tweezers in her magic. “But you're going to feel a lot better when it's done.”

Spike bit his lip and nodded. His claw gripped her hoof tightly, tensing in the anticipation of the pain. That anticipation, so often, was so much worse than the pain itself. She knew she would reach in, pull out the ingrown scale, and be done before he even felt it. But until she did, he would grimace and squirm and try to act brave.

Twilight frowned, her tweezers hovering over the infected scale. He was too tense; she couldn't get at it. She needed him to relax.

There was the temptation to tell him that Rarity would be proud of how brave he was being. That would definitely serve to make him unclench. But Twilight banished the thought from her mind. She couldn't keep using his crush like that. Not now that she and Rarity...

“Done,” she said, smiling at him.

Spike slowly opened one eye. “You are? I didn't feel a—ow!”

Twilight darted in, taking advantage of his distraction to pluck the scale out. Grinning, she held it in the pair of tweezers. The light glittered off its edges, and one end of it had a tiny red speck of blood stuck to the corner. “I am now,” she said, dropping the scale in his claws. “Good job, Spike.”

Spike turned the scale over in his claws. It was a little, tiny thing, but because it had grown in the wrong way, it had caused him no end of suffering over the past week. He held it up to the light. “I'm gonna give it to Rarity,” he declared.

Twilight's eyes flickered. “You're not going to put it under your pillow for the Scale Fairy?” she asked, wiping the tweezers clean and putting them away.

“Come on, Twilight, the Scale Fairy isn't real.” Spike rolled his eyes. “If she was, she'd get in the way of the Molted Spines Fairy!”

Twilight kept her face level. “Oh, of course. My mistake. But still, I'll bet the Molted Spines Fairy has a bit with your name on it somewhere.”

Spike scratched his jaw. “Maybe. But Rarity is making a new dress today, and I bet she could sew a dragonscale into it just like she usually does with jewels!”

Twilight shifted uncomfortably on her hooves. “That's very generous of you, Spike, but maybe—”

“And then she could have a little piece of me with her wherever she goes!”

Twilight's ears flattened. Her gaze shifted to her saddlebags, which, unlike the ones Rarity had made for all the others, was sewn with special thread, containing a strand from the seamstress's mane.

She glanced back at Spike, who clutched the scale to his chest with a dreamy expression on his face.

This was going to sting a bit.

“Spike,” Twilight said, motioning for him to sit down on the couch beside her, “There's something I should tell you. It's something Rarity and I both should tell you...”

Author's Note:

Conveniently, the title doubles as a warning to Sparity fans.

PreviousChapters Next