• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 5,756 Views, 377 Comments

Thirty Days, Thirty Twilights - Esle Ynopemos



A daily-updated collection of short stories featuring the loveliest of lavender librarians.

  • ...
4
 377
 5,756

PreviousChapters Next
12: Student of Magic [Slice of Life]

((Prompt: One of the Cutie Mark Crusaders becomes an apprentice for one of the Mane Six after their cutie mark appears.))

“Is this some kinda joke?” Applejack furiously waved a piece of paper bearing a large, fancy, calligraphic heading. She slapped it down on the table and scowled at Twilight. “'Cause I don't think it's very funny.”

“It isn't a joke,” Twilight said in a placating tone. “I wouldn't joke about this, Applejack. The School only accepts a few dozen applicants every year, out of thousands.”

“She never applied!” Applejack cried.

Twilight shifted her wings. “I pulled some strings, and got an application filed for her,” she admitted.

Applejack stared at her like she was speaking a foreign language. “Why—why would ya do that, Twilight?”

“Your sister has a rare and unique gift, Applejack.” Twilight lit her horn and straightened the creases on the acceptance letter. “With proper academic training, she could re-write everything we currently understand about magic theory.”

“No.” Applejack shook her head and advanced on her friend. “No, absolutely not. Just 'cause you're a big-shot Princess now don't give you any right to march in here an' drag my little sis off to Canterlot to be some kind of lab-rat!”

Twilight held her ground. “Nopony is being dragged anywhere, Applejack. This is an invitation, not an order. Apple Bloom is free to accept it—or not—” Twilight raised her brows meaningfully, “as she wishes.”

Applejack scowled, but she backed up a step. “Twi, I don't know if you noticed, but Apple Bloom's an earth-pony.”

“She is,” Twilight said plainly.

Applejack rubbed her jaw. “I can't believe I gotta spell this out for ya, hon, but the place is called the 'School for Gifted Unicorns.' Capital 'U' and everything.”

“There is nothing in the bylaws that expressly prohibits—”

Applejack and Twilight's argument was halted by the sound of a filly clearing her throat. They turned to see Apple Bloom with the acceptance letter in her hooves, carefully studying it. “You mailed this one yourself, didn't you, Miss Twi?”

Twilight nodded. “As dean, I mail out all of the acceptance letters myself.”

Apple Bloom pointed to a hornwritten section on the back. “I reckon the others don't have this part, though, do they?”

Twilight shifted on her hooves. “That is correct, Apple Bloom. In addition to the traditional curriculum, you would also take part in some advanced studies directly under me.”

Apple Bloom slowly looked up at her. “Ya mean, I'd be like your... protege, or somethin'?”

Twilight smiled. “I've become partial to the term, 'most faithful student,' myself.”

A gleam grew in the filly's eyes. “You'd teach me magic?”

“Twi...” Applejack warned. She shot Twilight a look that promised unending misery if she sold Apple Bloom a dream she couldn't deliver.

The Princess of Magic's eyes flickered. She lowered her head so that her face was level with the filly's. “It... won't be an easy path, Apple Bloom. There's going to be a lot of things your classmates will be able to do that you... won't.” She brought her wingtip up to Apple Bloom's chin. “But there will be fewer of those things than some ponies will tell you, and far more things you can do that they can never dream of. I believe right down to the bottom of my heart that by the end of it, it will be you teaching magic to me.”

Apple Bloom looked up at Twilight, then to her sister, then to the letter. She sat in silence for a few minutes, reading and re-reading the letter.

Twilight glanced at the clock and stretched her wings. “Take as much time as you need to decide,” she said, turning back toward the door. “If you have any questions at all, you can ask me.”

“Just one question,” said Apple Bloom, setting the letter aside. “When can we get started, Miss Twi?”

PreviousChapters Next