• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 5,753 Views, 377 Comments

Thirty Days, Thirty Twilights - Esle Ynopemos



A daily-updated collection of short stories featuring the loveliest of lavender librarians.

  • ...
4
 377
 5,753

PreviousChapters Next
10: Under the Desk [Comedy]

((Prompt: A pony is trying to hide a love affair from another pony, but they're caught in the act.))

“So, I've decided to put Opalescence on a diet.” Rarity reclined on the sofa, sinking into the cushions just a bit. It was in the library to provide readers with a place to sit down while they read, but Rarity had dragged it over so that she could be more comfortable while she chatted with Twilight.

Twilight was somewhat less than comfortable as she sat at her desk, her smile a little too wide and her ears perked a little too far forward. “Oh, is that so?” There was an edge of impatience in her voice that cracked through the friendly mask she put on. She would have asked Rarity to put the sofa back, but doing so would grant Rarity a view of the backside of the desk, and that was to be avoided at all costs.

“I have to do something, darling. I love my dear Opal so, but she's been getting pudgy lately. Just filling up like a balloon.” Rarity gestured with her hooves. “Of course, as soon as I made up my mind about it, of course she's nowhere to be found, but rest assured, her next meal will be low-fat, diet brand cat food.”

Something brushed against Twilight's leg under the desk, and a bead of sweat formed on her brow. “Sure sounds nutritious!” she said. “Would you like to borrow a book on feline nutrition? We've got one in the...” Twilight suddenly realized that the pet care section of the library was right behind the desk. Rarity would notice for sure if she went there. “A-actually, uh, silly me, that book was checked out already. Sorry.”

Rarity smiled. “Thank you for the offer, anyway. Perhaps you can let me know when it comes back in, darling.” She paused, tapping her hoof against the edge of the sofa. “Say, Twilight. You haven't, by any chance, seen Fluttershy around here, have you?”

Twilight fought to keep her grin up. “Fluttershy? N-no, I haven't seen Fluttershy all day. Why do you ask?”

Rarity shrugged. “Oh, no reason. I thought I saw a blur of yellow and pink dart in here before I arrived, but it must have been my imagination.”

“Yes, it must have been,” Twilight agreed, a little too quickly. “Maybe it was some leaves on the wind or—” She was interrupted by a small squeak.

“Did you hear that?” Rarity's ears perked up.

“That... that was me,” said Twilight. She did her best to re-create the squeak. “I, uh, have the hiccups. Yes, the hiccups.” She squeaked again.

Rarity raised her eyebrows. “The hiccups? Have you tried a glass of water, darling?”

“I was just about to, but see, these are special, contagious hiccups.” Twilight nodded seriously. “I don't really want you to have the hiccups for the rest of the day, too, so you should probably leave before you catch them.”

Rarity smiled. “You are ever so thoughtful. Very well, I hope you get better soon.” She stood up and headed for the door. “Ta-ta, darling!”

The door swung shut. The library was still and silent for a moment. Finally, a yellow muzzle poked out from under the desk. “Is she gone?” asked Fluttershy.

“I think so,” said Twilight, offering the pegasus a hoof. Just as she was clear of the desk, the door swung open again.

“Oh, one more thing before I forget,” said Rarity. “Next Tuesday is—oh!”

Twilight and Fluttershy froze in one another's forelegs. Their eyes darted from Rarity, to each other, to the desk, and back to Rarity.

A pink blush washed across Rarity's face. “Oh... oh my. Oh dear goodness me. I, um,” she sputtered. “It... it can wait, I think. Just forget I was ever here, darlings.” She backed out of the door of the library, giving them a sly wink before shutting the door.

Twilight and Fluttershy stared at the door. “Do you think she knows?” asked Fluttershy.

Twilight flexed her wings anxiously. “From her reaction, I think she believes you and I are in the middle of a lesbian affair.”

Fluttershy breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh, thank goodness!” She ducked under the desk and came up with a litter of mewling baby kittens under her wings, along with their fluffy white mother. “If Rarity had found out Opalescence had kittens, she would have fainted!”

PreviousChapters Next