• Published 22nd Oct 2011
  • 2,670 Views, 72 Comments

Stormriders: Luna's Own - PonyMarine



Action takes to the skies as the 368th Night Fighter Wing battles to defend Equestria!

  • ...
1
 72
 2,670

Chapter 3 A Royal Word, To the Front

A month has passed....
Canterlot Palace, Princess Celestia's Chambers
0930 Local time
background music

Luna had known this talk wasn't going to go over well with Celestia, but all the same, she thought her big sister was over reacting just a teensy bit... Well, at least she's not thrown anything in addition to shouting. Celestia took that precise second to launch a particularly well-aimed pillow that caught Luna right on the nose. So much for that.

"CELESTIA! Sister, please!"

The sharp tone in Luna's voice silenced her ranting and riled older sister almost immediately. Celestia dropped the second pillow she had just taken up and a sad tone was evident in her voice instead of anger.

"Luna...little sister, it's been so long. I just don't understand why you want to leave me again."

Luna walked over to her older sibling and put a hoof around her neck.

"Tia, I don't want to leave you at all! You know I don't, but we're the leaders of this country and sometimes, that means more important things have to be taken in to consideration than what we want. You heard the same intelligence and strategic briefings I did about the situation that's developing on the Northern border. They need one of us there to ensure the defense of our country while the other stays here in Canterlot and tries to find a diplomatic solution and prevent an all out war.

Celestia sniffed a little bit, obviously close to tears.

"I...but there's generals and all sorts of..."

Luna gently cut her big sister off.

"No, Tia. You know as well as I do that stakes this high mean we should both be involved. You've always been the born diplomat big sister. Your place is in Canterlot, ensuring that what looks like storm clouds become sunshine."

"What then is your place, little sister?"

"My place is to hold back the storm should it come. To defend and watch over our ponies just as you will from Canterlot."

"Your safety...."

"I'll be safe big sister. Remember? I have the 368th and a whole company of Royal Marines just to make sure I'll be protected and we'll be on Mareimar Aerospace Defense Force Base. I'm sure everypony on that base will make sure not a single equestrian, including me, comes to harm. This is the way it should be now that I've resumed my duties and titles Tia. Ruling together as equals, just like back then, before...before the curse."

Now it was Luna's turn to have her eyes start to water as memories of the blackness and evil magic that had enveloped her and forced her sister to banish her to the moon to allow the dark spell to be weakened over a thousand years; but Tia knew and pulled her younger sister into a tight embrace.

"You're right. You're right as always little sister. I'm just scared of losing you again."

"You won't; but you still have to let me do this."

"I know...."

The two sisters stayed like that for a long time, wrapped in a long embrace as only the closest of siblings can share, each willing the pain the other felt to heal just a little bit faster.

368th Night Fighter Wing and 13/5 Royal Marines Company Compound
368th Wing Barracks
0127 local time

Flare was having trouble sleeping. He'd been tossing and turning for a few hours now and was finally giving up. The stallion shook his mane out to at least an attempt at being presentable and pulled his flight suit on. As he walked to the door, he thought 'Zeph and Clanky both keep odd hours at times. Maybe one of them will be up and go to the chow hall with me for a late night snack or somethi-’ Flare's train of thought was derailed abruptly as his door burst inward and two large stallions dressed in all black rushed in to the room. The last conscious thought he had as a hoof rocketed towards his temple was 'oh Celestia now what?' then blackness.

When Flare awoke, he was bound, gagged and had a sack over his head. He was semi aware of what felt like other ponies on either side of him as his mind struggled towards full consciousness. Flare's training came back to him quickly and he took quick stock of his surroundings. They were moving in what sounded like a large diesel truck, like the kinds the Marines used to haul troops and equipment. A quick test of his bonds showed them to be sturdy and with no hope of slipping them; Flare sighed through his gag and worked to get comfortable. He was just going to have to sit back and enjoy the ride for now.

A short while later, the trucks came to a halt and Flare found himself being tossed out of the bed. Just as he was getting his breath back, two ponies, whom he assumed were Zeph and Clanky, landed on top of him with muffled swearing and what sounded like a gagged attempt at an apology respectively. They didn't stay on the ground for long and Flare found himself being dragged along the ground to the sound of drumbeats and...was that bagpipes? (background music)

Flare was dropped quickly and his blindfold and gag were torn away, revealing Zeph and Clanky next to him in similar circumstances on the cobblestone floor of what appeared to be an old ruin, it's roof torn away exposing a brilliant night sky. The three were between two large formations of ponies. The Marine company formed up directly across from the EADF unit, distinguished by their dark green berets but all were in the immaculate, unique, jet-black with blue trim, dress uniforms worn only by the personal unit of Princess Luna. To the rear was a massive bon fire, as well as the squadron pipe and drum band, which explained the music. Directly to the front of them was the entire unit command staff of both units, with the major presiding over the whole affair like a Lord reviewing his assembled knights, and in a way that's exactly what was happening.

Major Windsheer stepped forward.

“Executive Officer, Captain Cloud Dancer, REPORT!"
The Captain snapped to and with mechanical precision, moved in front of the Major and offered a crisp salute.

"Sir, Captain Cloud Dancer, 368th Night Fighter Wing reporting!"

"Excellent. Captain, what is the status of the boots who have been given to Luna's celestial grace in defense of crown and country? Are these fledglings that you bring before this assembled unit prepared to stand forward as defenders of the realm and Her Royal Highness, Our Lady of the Night?"

"Sir, it is my belief and the belief of Master Sergeant Ironheart that these three are prepared."

Only discipline and bearing kept Flare, Zeph and Clanky's jaws from collectively hitting the floor. Captain Cloud Dancer and Master Sergeant Ironheart were the ultimate villains as far as they were concerned, with never anything approximating a kind word or positive phrase, just more insults, criticism and punishment details. Yet here was the Captain, vouching for them in front of everypony! The Major considered her words carefully and with a steely tone in his voice said,
"Very well Captain, take your post."

The Captain saluted and returned to her position in the command staff formation, taking the time to shoot the three awaiting the Major a venomous glare that spelled out exactly what would happen to Flare, Zeph and Clanky if they somehow managed to screw up whatever was about to happen.

The Major stepped up a few paces until he was right in front of the company.

"One thousand years, fillies and gentlecolts, one thousand years. This, the 368th Wing, the 98th and 99th Night Fighter Squadrons and the 13th Company, 5th Battalion of the Equestrian Royal Marine Corps, have stayed loyal in the absence of the Princess for ONE THOUSAND YEARS. We, above all, are her most faithful servants. We above all knew that she would return to us. As history became legend and legend became myth, we kept our place, waiting for the Lady's return. We, and the Marines and Air Ponies that came before us have suffered for that loyalty; but now, with the Princess's honorable return and the balance restored, we have been vindicated. All of us have made the pledge to forsake the day, and to walk in darkness. We do this to defend our loved ones and our beloved homeland from all that would stalk that darkness and prey on the weak and innocent. We are warriors of air and darkness, pledged personally to the defense the Lady of the Night. If there is one pony here that would not give their lives in defense of the crown, the country, and her people, let them depart from us now! We shall not judge them; merely pity their lack of resolve, loyalty and courage."

The Major paused and took a breath, waiting to see if there were any takers for his offer to leave. Not a single pony moved a hair. It was dead silent, except for the crackle of the fire. After a sufficient pause the Major roared at his troops,

"UNBENT! UNBOWED! UNBROKEN!"

To which the entire assembled unit responded:

"NO SURRENDER! NO RETREAT, UNTIL THE MOON FALLS FROM THE SKY!"

The Major smiled a tight, fierce grin. It would have looked more in place on some kind of predator, like a wolf or dragon. He started speaking again in a more normal tone.

"Airponies, Marines, tonight is a special night. The three before us have been sent to us not knowing our ways. We have ostracized them and isolated them. We have hurt them and run them ragged. They have stuck together, supported one another and have shown us fighting spirit, determination and courage. They have shown themselves to be worthy to join us. Flight Officers Flare and Zephyr, Senior Airpony Doo, ATTEN-HUT!"

The three snapped up to attention, their hooves clicking in perfect unison on the cold stone of the old ruin. The Major paced before them, a perfect cadence between his hooves as he walked.

"Are you prepared, with all your heart and all your soul, to fight for Equestria, Their Royal Highnesses and their people? To give your youth, your health, your mind and indeed your very life in their defense?"

They needed no prompting. "Yes Sir!"

The Major nodded and continued, "Are you prepared to take on special duty to Her Royal Highness, Princess Luna of Equestria, the Lady of the Night and the Bringer of the Moon, to forsake the light of the sun and ever walk in darkness, a silent guardian of Her Highness and the people as they slumber? To do everything and everything to defend Her Highness from harm at the cost of your lives, with nary a thought to your own health or safety? Consider this carefully. Once you take this oath, you will always be one of us. You will always be pledged to our Lady of the Night. We are all volunteers. If you have doubts or if your heart might waiver, we do not want you here. Reply individually when you are prepared."

The Major took a few steps back, waiting for their answer, an intense look gracing his dark features. The three took a quick glance at each other, and with a mutual nod of reassurance stepped forward together. Flare took the lead.

"Sir! I am prepared to give anything and everything in defense of Her Highness!"

Zephyr and Clanky’s own statements of assent quickly echoed Flare’s. An approving roar went up amongst the ponies of the assembled unit. As the noise quieted down, the Major spoke again.

"Very well, I hereby name you full members of the 368th Night Fighter Wing, wing pair six of the 98th Night Fighter Squadron, call signs Selene 11 and Selene 12. Senior Airpony Doo! You will continue your duties as their wing pair lead mechanic." This was followed with a wink and chuckle, "We'll see about getting you some proper Strikers instead of those old rust buckets too."

The roaring and cheers of approval went on a lot longer this time and by the end of it, the three ponies were in the rear of the EADF formation. The Major waited patiently to let the noise die down a little again. It was obvious he had something important to say and the unit silenced themselves quickly.

"I have other news for the Wing today. I have received warning orders from Princess Luna herself. In a week's time, we are to head forth, with Her Highness, to Mareimar Aerospace Defense Force Base in the North. The Lady shall be taking charge personally of the base and the defense of the Northern Border. As you may have heard, there is a potential border dispute with the Northern Griffon Kingdom and the 370th Night Fighter Wing was completely destroyed as well as one of our border radar stations. No further attacks have happened since then, but the Princess wishes to be prepared while Princess Celestia continues to attempt to find a diplomatic solution. Fillies, gentlecolts, by order of Her Royal Highness, Princess Luna of Equestria, it is my solemn duty to charge you to PREPARE FOR BATTLE!"

With that and signal from Captain Cloud Dancer, the pipe and drum band started to play the wing battle song and the entire assembled unit began to sing along.

Axes flash and broadswords swing
Shining armor's piercing ring
Horses run with the polished shield
Fight those bastards till they yield

Midnight mare and blood red roan
Fight to keep this land your own
Sound the horn and call the cry
How many of them can we make die?