• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 14,625 Views, 977 Comments

Summoned - BlackWing



Conjuration is a lost art in Equestria. Celestia is bored, and summons an otherworldy creature.

  • ...
62
 977
 14,625

Awakening (22)

Awakening

"Hahahahaha.... Pathetic.......... Worthless........ Fool........... Pitiful.........."


"No, wait... please don't do this..... stop....." Fangs digging into my neck, my essence being drained away. So..... cold......





"Aaahhhhhh!" I jumped out of bed in a start, only for all the blood to rush away from my head, causing my vision to black out and making me lose my balance. I fell to the floor with a crash and lay there for a couple minutes, letting myself get over the sudden drop in blood pressure. I felt something on my face, as well as other, wiry things all over my body. I felt cold tile, and everything was blanch white. I hear a frantic beeping noise in the background.

"Oxygen mask?" I pull the breathing apparatus off, and start ripping the wires off my body. A rush of smell hits my nose, the scent of alcohol and sanitary. Hospital? Once I detach them, the heart monitor flat lines, and a warning alarm goes off, bringing a rush of doctors and nurses into the room.




"Alex! You really ought to be in bed, you need to...."

"No, gotta go........ find Celestia....... Serenity....."

"Okay, come on, this way.... calm down... back to bed...."

"NO!" The ponies backed away at my sudden outburst, then renewed their efforts in trying to calm me.

"Alex you need to get back into bed, you're not better yet you.."

"I NEED TO FIND CELESTIA!"

"You need to rest, we'll get her, just, get back in bed, you can't be up yet...." They tried guiding me back to bed, but I pushed them off, only to stumble and fall as I attempted to reach the door. I clawed at the ground, still very weak, trying to reach the door when none other than the sun princess herself made herself present in the opening. She picked me up in her magic, and brought the hospital gown clad me close. I wrapped my arms around her neck and cried into her mane as it billowed.


"Celestia, I.... she........." My eyes jumped open. "Serenity! She's a changeling! Canterlot is in....."

"Alex, I know...... it's alright....... the danger has passed."

"But she....."

"Alex, listen, you're still very weak, and you need to calm down or you'll pass out again. Everything is alright. Rest now. I'll come by after day court and tell you what happened, but for now.... rest....." I fell asleep in her embrace.













The next time I woke up, I didn't jump out of bed. The mask and wires had all been replaced, so this time around I used the call bell like I should have in the first place. It's astounding really, how behind the Equestrians are in some aspects of technology, yet they're probably more advanced in medicine and related tech than earth. After pushing it once, a nurse immediately sped to my room, and removed the messy tangle of wires going all over me at my request. She brought me some food, then left go go find Celestia. She returned with the sun princess, who had a look on her face that was a mixture between overwhelming relief and a sadness deeper than the deepest pit.


"Alex, it's good to see you up. You had us all so worried, and we've been so busy."

"Princess.... what happened?" She motioned to the others to leave so we could have some privacy, and they did so immediately.

"Now that our company is gone, there's no need for titles. I want you to feel at ease, because what I have to tell you will not be easy for you to take. Are you sure you want to hear it?"

"I.... need to know...."


"Very well. Three weeks ago, you vanished. We had thought that you were merely spending some time, getting to know Serenity's parents, until you missed the weekend visit with your parents. We started getting suspicious, so we checked Serenity's file. She had been here for a long time, and we all trusted her, given that she became the captain of my sister's guard. We looked into it, and her file says that she's an orphan. Now we know that to be false. I realized you might be in danger, so I summoned you immediately. I found you covered in that green..... ooze... and didn't recognize you right away. You passed me the stone to finalize the summoning, and told me she was a spy, and that Canterlot was in danger."

"I..... remember that." I answered sadly.

"Yes, and because of that, everypony went on high alert. We brought you to the castle medical wing for treatment, hoping you would wake up and give us more information. The wedding came and went, the changeling invasion with it. The queen impersonated the bride, Cadence. We repelled them. They failed, not before injuring me and putting me in one of those.... disgusting pods. They slowly drain you of your magic. I was fine,considering what I am... but you were not. You originally had no magic of your own, and only had a minimal amount due to your transfusion from Spike. The effects were..... far greater.... than we anticipated."

"How long...."

"You have been laying in this hospital bed for the past two weeks, unconscious and crying, calling out to both myself and Serenity. Watching you go through that.... as someone I care for, it breaks my heart. I was afraid you'd never wake up."


"She...... she.... bit me......"

"I know...."

"And...... she called me pathetic...... and......... and... she....... mocked me......."

"They are cruel beyond all measure.."

"And, she...... insulted my cooking........" The princess got a sudden look of absolute rage on her face.

"How DARE she! The food you make is on par with my personal chefs, and in many cases, even better! You can invade my kingdom, kidnap my friends, and put me in a goo pod but you do NOT insult my food!" She looked to me, then let out a snicker.

"Celestia........ I want to go....."

"Where?" She looked at me with almost pleading eyes, ready to bring me wherever I asked.

"Anywhere.. Just for a while..... get out of here..... just go somewhere else...."

"I know the perfect place."







Celestia helped me get dressed, then lifted me onto her back with magic and secured me there with a spell. I remember Serenity telling me that very few ponies would allow another to ride them, as it is considered insulting most often, and I had that confirmed as fact by Spike, as he rides Twilight around fairly often. For Celestia to place me on her back herself..... how important am I to her? She flapped her wings experimentally, then took off, ever so gently into the sky. Of course, not used to that, and never having ridden a horse before, I wrapped my arms around her neck in fright.

"Alex, you can't fall off, even if I go upside down." Thankfully, she didn't do that, just flapping her wings softly as she soared through the air and clouds, the cool mist being a pleasant sensation on my skin, but reminding me too much of the chill I felt when I was being fed on, making me shiver at the thought.

"Sorry, we're almost there." She apologized as she lowered out of the clouds. Looking down at the sunlit earth as the majestic orb sank in the sky, turning it a reddish hue, I could see rolling grassy fields, crisscrossing rivers, little settlements here and there, and several forested areas. Celestia banked and lost altitude, bringing us towards one in particular at the edge of Ponyville.

"The Everfree? As in the dark forest that everyone is afraid of, for good reason?"


"Not the forest itself..... a certain special place that, despite the state of disarray the surrounding area fell into after my sisters banishment, remained as it was in my youth."





We flew for a while longer until we landed in a clearing. In the center of the dark forest, near a set of ancient ruins, there was a glade still illuminated by the setting sun coming through the tree tops. It was abuzz with life, warm mists coming from a hot spring where fish swam and splashed, birds chirping, it was.... magical.


"We're here."

"Celestia... this is..."

"This is where Luna and I played as foals. I haven't been here in years, yet for some reason, the darkness of the forest never encroaches on it."

"It's beautiful......." I didn't say it with much emotion.

"I'm glad you like it. When I found you..... you were a wreck. I.... wanted to do something for you, but I didn't know what. Now that you're awake, I wanted to do something special for you. After all, because of your warning, we were prepared to fight the changelings, and prevented a lot of damage...... and after going through such an ordeal, I wanted to do something nice for you. You work hard in the castle, and you don't ask for much..... I just want you to know you're appreciated."

"Well...... thank you..... I feel strange though.... I should be bawling about Serenity, or happy that you're sharing this will me.... but I feel..... nothing? Apathy? I know it's beautiful but..... I can't find myself caring, even though you went through all the effort. I don't understand."


"Well, that would be a side effect. You were very close to being drained completely and becoming a changeling yourself, it's reasonable to assume you'd have trouble feeling positive emotions, or at the very least be confused about the feelings you are having. That should pass in time. When it does....... you might succumb to grief. Just know that whenever you need a shoulder to cry on, I'll be there. Oh, look, it's time."


Celestia's horn began to glow, and with it, the sun finally dropped below the horizon. The last light of day vanished, and was replaced by the pale glow of the moon filtering into the clearing through the trees. The soft light came down, and with it, hundreds of previously hidden Luna moths spread their wings, bathing the entire glade in a soft blue light. It was mystical, but I couldn't enjoy it, which would have made me sad, except that I can't feel that either right now. I felt fear of heights when we flew, as well as anger and frustration at needing to reach Celestia, but I couldn't feel happy, sad, or the warmth of companionship that I should have been getting from the princess. Instead, I merely lay there, my head against her side, and drifted off into sleep.