• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 14,622 Views, 977 Comments

Summoned - BlackWing



Conjuration is a lost art in Equestria. Celestia is bored, and summons an otherworldy creature.

  • ...
62
 977
 14,622

The Cake Is A Lie (20)

The Cake Is A Lie

It's been two days since I last saw Serenity, so you can understand my surprise when she suddenly turned up again.

"Serenity! There you are. I've been so worried! You didn't show up for our date, or your shift yesterday. I thought something might have happened to you." She ran to me and gave me a quick nuzzle.

'There's that chill again.'

"Alex, I'm so sorry. It's just, something came up. There was a family emergency, and I had to hurry, right away. I couldn't leave my mom's side for even a second. I didn't even have time to talk to anyone."

"Things are alright now though, right?" I asked, worried.

"Yes. They're alright. Better than alright. Things were pretty touch and go, but everything's fine now." I wrapped my arms around her, and gave her a big hug.

"That's good. I was worried, but I can understand. When things happen with family, you want to do everything you can for them, and it makes you a little crazy... like when I figured out how to bring my family here. I worked on nothing but for three days. Celestia still had her duties, so it was up to me to draw the circles with such accuracy. You know, hands and all."

"I'm just glad things are okay. In fact, my family's coming to live in Canterlot, to be closer to the doctor, so I'll get to see them more often now." She sighed happily.

"Well, that's good, although I'm still a little upset that you didn't tell me anything. I mean, I AM your 'coltfriend'." I put my hands on her hips and looked at her sternly.

"I know, I really should have found you first. Can I ever make it up to you?" She pouted, asking for forgiveness.

"Sure, just let me meet them, and make sure they don't buck me through a wall when they do." I snickered.

"Done. Things are still really tense but, I'm at least able to get back to my job without worry. How's Thursday sound? That should give enough time for things to settle down." She gave me a joyful smile.

"Thursday is good. I've been working so hard lately, I get an extra day off now and then. Four whole days to get ready to meet your parents? Either they're really something special, or I'm gonna have a lot of trouble when we finally do meet."

"You have no idea. Oh, but don't worry. In the time I spent with them over the past two days, I made sure to tell them all about you." She replied without hesitation.

"You mean, they know about me being.... not a pony, and they're okay with it?"

"Yep, they're totally okay. They don't care about species differences. I mean hay, my sister isn't a pony either." I tilted my head in confusion at this statement.

"Adoption?" I had heard about the other species. Cows, sheep, donkeys, griffins and whatnot.

"Eeh, it's complicated. It would be easier for them to explain it They're really good at it, where as when I try to tell it, I just end up tongue tied."

"I see..." I find this a little weird, considering they know all about me, and I know nothing of them. I only have to put up with that for four days though, so I don't really mind. I'm just glad to get to meet them. It also explains why I never heard her talk about her family before, if she's got some complex family system that's too confusing to explain without them actually there to reference. Either that, or, since she's got bat wings, they're some kind of vampire family. Probably not. She hasn't tried biting me yet, so I think I can safely take that off the table.

"Well, now that that's dealt with, I suppose we better both get back to our jobs, while we still have them."

"Yeah, and I have to explain to Luna why I ditched guard duty for the past two days. This should be fun. I hope she doesn't use 'the voice'. I'd very much like my ears intact."

"Yeah, it would suck if I couldn't scratch you behind your ear that way you like." I teased as I did just that, causing her back right leg to kick out like when you scratch a dog.

"H-h-hey! That's not fair!"

"Yeah yeah, but who ever said I play fair?" I reply playfully.

"Oh? Then what if I do..... THIS!" She buried her face in my side, my extremely ticklish side, causing me to double over in laughter. She kept it up despite my pleas, until I finally caved.

"Alright! Alright! You win!" She finally let me get up.

"Whew. Okay. Seriously though, go to work you little scamp. I've gotta go play adviser to Celestia. She's having trouble with a political problem that resembles something on earth, and I'm supposed to talk to her about it. See you Thursday?" I ask trying to catch my breath.

"Yep."


I was okay'd to leave the castle today. Basically, since the out of castle guard know about me, that means word about me has already left the castle, and there's really no stopping it now. Ponyville already knows about me, and as it turns out, word happened to spread from there by means of tourists and a particularly ditzy pegasus who gets around a lot. So, while it's mostly rumor, ponies do know about me. They just don't know that they know, it's speculation, although a widely accepted one. There's a strange creature that lives in Canterlot Castle, is friends with the princesses, is fun, and above all will not try to eat you. Means I'll be able to get out a bit. Not that I don't mind, but being stuck in the castle and Ponyville can get a little boring. That privilege will be especially useful when it comes to meeting Serenity's family. The guards will be looking out for me, making sure I don't run into anymore xenophobic ponies with a chip on their shoulder and influence. Don't need a Blueblood repeat. The fact that I'm hanging out with the guard should be enough. Time to go find out what Celestia needs.




"It's horrible!" I heard the royal pony's cries coming from within her room. She had a habit of talking to herself when she was thinking too hard about something.

"Um, Celestia, am I intruding?"

"Oh, no Alex not at all." She quickly tried to compose herself. "Thank you for coming. I have a problem I hope you can help me with."

"Anything at all. Just name it."

"Well, this!" She held a newspaper in front of me, the front page of which had a picture of her devouring a mountain of cake with a guilty look on her face, headline reading, 'Celestia, just like us?' Uh oh. Tabloids. She hid her face in her hooves with shame.

"Aaaannnd? You've been in the newspaper before."

"Yes, but never gossip columns. This is extremely personal. Just look at that photo! Everypony is going to think I'm a glutton!" I walked up beside the distraught ruler and put my arm over her back, just before her wings.

"Hmm, that's not what the column says. 'Just like us?' Well, that certainly doesn't sound like glutton. In fact, if that's what they were insinuating, then they'd be insulting themselves. Actually, if you were a glutton, then the phrase would suddenly become a term of endearment, or perhaps a compliment. It's a largely unknown paper. Not many are going to see it, and it's gossip. Doesn't make it true. Besides, this is a good thing." I comforted the alicorn with sound reasoning. She blushed at my blatant flattery, and then cocked her head to one side in confusion.

"I don't understand...."

"Well, the whole reason you've been feeling so lonely is because everypony acted too much like a subject around you to get to know you and be friends, sure this ruins your image, but only the bad part of it. By appearing 'Just like us' it closes the gap between yourself and the ponies you lead. Oh, you like cake? So do we. Oh, you like going to parties? So do we! If anything, this will make you more approachable, while at the same time not losing any of your dignity. You should go to some public events that don't actually require you to be there."


"Well, there is the national dessert competition coming up. I'm not really needed there, and I do love cake...."

"See? That's perfect! You'll get to do something fun that has nothing to do with boring royal duties, be able to get closer to some other ponies, have some cake, and take your mind off things. It's just what you need." Celestia perked up at this.

"Oh, I guess I've been a silly filly haven't I? Gotten all worked up over nothing I suppose. A thousand years ago, there was a massive inquiry into why I had banished Nightmare Moon, and it was a media debacle. Since then, I've always been a bit apprehensive about appearing in the media, and haven't had any insight into my private life in decades. Every time there was.... well, they always had less than pleasant things to say. Thirty years ago some madmares thought I was a tyrant, and fifty years ago some others were convinced I was some sort of sexual deviant, using my position to molest my guards. Of course, none of it was true, but the name 'Molestia' stuck for five years before I could finally get the paper to make a retraction and official apology. I had to threaten to shut them down for slander before they'd do it."

"Ouch. That's harsh. I guess everypony wants a piece of the princess then eh? That's gotta suck. I can see why you'd freak out finding your name in something like this. Unpleasant memories. You wouldn't want to go through another nightmare like that. I don't think you have to worry about that with this though. This is a school paper, run by..... Ponyville Elementary? I don't think there'd be such accusations in a newspaper made by kids. And if there were, then those are some seriously messed up kids." Celestia wrapped her wings around me, and I, my arms around her. She put her neck over my shoulder, something she didn't need to lean down to do, since I was almost as tall as she was.

"Thanks Alex. You always know what to say. You're a good friend."