• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 14,625 Views, 977 Comments

Summoned - BlackWing



Conjuration is a lost art in Equestria. Celestia is bored, and summons an otherworldy creature.

  • ...
62
 977
 14,625

Boredom (1)

Boredom

It was a lazy summer afternoon in Equestria. Princess Celestia was in Canterlot castle, dealing with issues that the various ponyfolk had. This task normally took all day, as there was a seemingly never ending stream of complaints or suggestions on how to make the country run better. Ever since Luna came back, Celestia had been putting some of the burden of running the country on her sister's shoulders. This left her with some free time on occasion.

Today was slower than normal. It was only 3 pm by the time she had gotten through all the day's royal duties and paperwork.

"Hmm, things must be going well. I almost never get time off like this." She mused to herself. "Maybe I should go spend some time with Luna." She closed court for the day, as there weren't going to be any other visitors.

Celestia walked upstairs, only to find that Luna was asleep. She had forgotten that Luna held court in the castle at night, and so she slept during the day.

"Oh dear, I haven't had any real time to myself in, oh my, 800 years! I have no idea what to do." Having been so busy after Luna had been sent to the moon, Celestia was always busing with something or other, running the country, attending events, dealing with the antics of Twilight Sparkle and her friends.... She never actually had time to herself, to do things she wanted to do, and so, after many centuries, stopped having hobbies. Her entire life had become taking care of Equestria, and she was clueless as to how to do live for herself instead of others.

"What was it that Twilight liked to do in her spare time? Oh that's right. She liked to read. That and practice her magic. I haven't tried any new spells in a very long time. Maybe I'll search in the library basement for something I haven't read. They have books from over 8 thousand years ago tucked down there where nopony can get at them. Couldn't hurt to have a look."

Celestia entered the restricted section of the library, where all the oldest, and most dangerous, books were kept. She browsed through them, quite literally judging the books by their covers, until one of them caught her eye.

Conjuration
All you need to know about apparitions, familiars, and binding magic.


"Hello, I've never seen you before." She told the inanimate hardcover. In all her many years, and all the magic she knew, she had never heard of this 'conjuration' before. It was enough to pique her interest. She asked the librarians about it, and they all just shook their heads. They had never been allowed in the basement, as dangerous and forbidden knowledge was housed there, along with fragile, one of a kind books, such as Starswirl's own hoof written journal, deemed far too precious to have open for display. She tucked the book away before heading to her room.


Chapter One, Safety.

1. The first thing that you should know about conjuration is that it is, by nature, unstable. You are summoning things from another plane of existence, where the laws of this universe may or may not apply. The things you summon may not act in a manner you are used to, and you must expect the unexpected.

2. Know that while the summoned creature or object is required to obey your will, it still has a will of it's own. Unless you specify the manner in which the conjured is to go about a specific task, they will attempt it in their own way, which could quite possibly be dangerous to the caster or those nearby. You must always be specific in giving a familiar it's orders, lest it find a loophole in your instruction.

Example: You know how to kill? Tell me an example of how you would do it. This would cause the familiar to explain verbally the manner in which it would fight. Give me an example. This means the familiar can explain it to you in any way it sees fit, probably leading to it making it's summoner the example. It followed it's orders to a T, but because the conjurer was not specific, it resulted in their untimely death, followed by the unsummoning, or 'banishment' of the summon, in which it returns to it's own realm.

3. Do not listen to the conjured. Many summoned entities will attempt to trick you, convince you of doing things you should not. You must always be of sound mind when summoning a conscious extra planar entity. Simple objects are of no harm, but sentient beings may provide advice that proves to be dangerous.

4. Never summon an entity more powerful than yourself. To do so may result in the conjured becoming 'unbound', meaning no longer tied to the caster's will, and unable to be banished by regular means. It is highly recommended that the caster learns a 'banish summon' spell. This spell is commonly used against conjurers, depriving them of their summoned fighter, while also being used by the conjurers themselves, in case a summon gets out of control.

5. You must be completely precise in the drawing of your runes. While the runes are the same for whatever you wish to summon and your mind decides what comes from it, at least with basic spells, they must be completely accurate, else you may conjure something completely different from what you want.

The list went on and on. Entrapment circles to snare summons, wards to protect against them.

"I'm Celestia, I possess the most powerful magic in this entire world, save for the elements of Harmony. I'm sure I can handle myself. Let's get on to the summoning."


The most common, and by far the safest, way to conjure something, is to write the summoning circle on a piece of paper. If the summon gets out of hand, hoof, or claw, (depending on the race of the caster) destroy the paper, and the summon will be returned to it's realm of origin. The danger lies in the summoning circle being stolen, as the holder of the circle becomes the summoned's master. Another method, although much more difficult, is to draw the runes in your mind. this means that unless the summon undergoes a release ritual, making it an 'unbound', it cannot be turned by another caster. This method has it's drawbacks, however, as it is time limited, and it requires a constant, steady stream of magic to maintain.

There were several beginner summons, all using the same basic circle, for low power conjurations, such as butterflies, small mammals, pebbles, flowers, and what not.


"Hmm, okay. Let's see. I want to summon, a bunny. So, I draw the runes on the paper, okay, what's the next step?"

In order to prevent the summon from being taken by another caster, place a drop of your own blood on the circle. This binds the summon to you. The only danger is if the summon itself gets hold of the circle. Then pour your magic into the runes, be they drawn on the floor, on a paper, or in your mind. The summon will then appear."

Celestia cringed at the thought of having to use her blood. She'd have to cut herself to do it. She was only going to summon a bunny, then immediately destroy the paper and send it back. There was no need. Even if somepony got a hold of the paper, what kind of damage could they possibly do with an otherworldly bunny?

"Alright, here we go." She poured her magic into the runic paper in front of her, all the while thinking, 'Bunny'. Lo and behold, after the air distorted a bit, making room for the creature to appear, a small, white, and very annoyed rabbit appeared in front of her.


"Angel? Where'd you go to? You were here a minute ago!" Fluttershy began searching frantically through her cabin for her beloved pet.

"Well, hello there little one. You seem familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?" Celestia began to speak, while the rabbit jumped and grabbed the paper in his mouth, and began to run off with it.

"Oh no you don't you little rascal." She said, grabbing him with her magic. She took the paper from him.

"Alright, now sit." She commanded. The bunny didn't want to, but for some reason, he complied.

"Jump?" He obeyed.

"Do a jig." He began to dance, as though he had an invisible cane and top hat.

"Oh, what fun! Alright, I'm sorry for putting you through that, I'll send you home now." she tore the paper. The air distorted again.

"Oh, there you are Angel, I was getting worried. Is something the matter?" Fluttershy asked as the infuriated rabbit kicked a carrot at her.