• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 5,174 Views, 298 Comments

The Kobold of Ponyville - Mr101



A kobold turns up in Ponyville after leaving his clan in search for adventures, but gets more than he bargained for when he runs into three mischievous fillies and a motherly pegasus.

  • ...
17
 298
 5,174

Chapter IV - A Fellow Fan

The Kobold of Ponyville.

Chapter IV - A Fellow Fan.

“So you’re telling me that Tak is a kobold?” Twilight asked.

“Mhm, I was walking in— I mean near the edge of the Everfree forest,” Scootaloo quickly corrected herself, “and we just bumped into one another before this cockatrice appeared!”

The filly grinned sheepishly at Twilight as the mare raised her brow in suspicion. “I see… and did he say anything about his clan?”

Scootaloo paused for a moment and tapped her chin with a hoof, “I don’t think so, Fluttershy said that kobolds are rarely ever alone. And if they are, that usually means they’ve been abandoned.”

Twilight frowned at this; on one hoof she wasn’t one hundred percent satisfied that there was no kobold threat to Ponyville, but on the other she felt sorry for Tak if he had indeed been kicked out of his clan.

“I think it’s best if we keep Tak hidden from the rest of the town in the mean time,” Twilight said.

“Why?” Scootaloo asked. “He isn’t going to hurt anypony.”

“That may be,” Twilight started, “but do you remember how they — we — reacted to Zecora?”

“Oh yeah… all the adults acted like she was evil or something, right?” Scootaloo asked her.

Twilight winced at the memory of their first encounter with Zecora, “Yeah… anyway, I want to avoid that incident again and try to introduce him to the town in a slow, sensible, non-alarming manner.”

Scootaloo nodded as the front door opened and Fluttershy walked in with Tak sitting happily on her back, holding onto her neck with one claw, and holding the book and his spear in the other.

Fluttershy saw Twilight and smiled at her, “Oh, hello, Twilight.”

“Hello, Fluttershy. Is that Tak?” Twilight replied, tilting her head to try and get a better look at Tak.

“Mhm, sure is,” Fluttershy smiled, “Tak, this is our friend Twilight.”

Tak’s eyes widened slightly and he hid himself in Fluttershy’s mane; he was a little nervous about the unicorn. He had seen what they could do first-claw and had learned to always be careful and cautious around them.

“Tak? Are you okay, dude?” Scootaloo asked.

Tak mumbled something into Fluttershy’s mane, refusing to show himself.

“Sweetie, it’s alright,” Fluttershy cooed reassuringly. “Twilight’s not going to hurt you.”

“Promise?” Tak mumbled.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye,” Fluttershy said with a smile.

Tak was confused by this, given that Fluttershy had wings and therefore could fly and didn’t need to hope. But her tone was reassuring and he slowly peeked out to look at the unicorn who was watching him with fascination.

“Oh my…” Twilight whispered.

“Hello…” Tak replied with a slow wave, forgetting he was holding his book and dropping it. “My book!”

The book landed with a thud on the ground, the cover facing upwards. Twilight couldn’t help but giggle as the kobold leapt for the book and held it to his chest protectively.

“Tak, you should be more careful,” Fluttershy tutted. “You could’ve hurt yourself.”

“Tak’s fine, Tak just doesn't want to lose his book again,” he muttered.

“I see you’re a fan of Daring Do then?” Twilight giggled.

Tak forgot all of his nervousness and his tail wagged as he grinned at her, “How could Tak not be a fan?! She’s the best adventure ever. That is, until Tak replaces her.”

Twilight smiled, the fears she had of Tak were starting to slowly ebb away. However, she still needed to reassure herself that there was no danger to the town from kobolds nearby.

“Fluttershy, can I have a private word?” she asked.

“Of course, Twilight,” Fluttershy replied before turning to Tak. “Why don’t you and Scootaloo go outside and play for a bit?”

“Yeah, come on, Tak,” Scootaloo grinned. “We can pretend we’re in a Daring Do book!”

Tak grinned and quickly ran outside, taking the book with him. Scootaloo giggled and chased after him, leaving the two mares alone.

Twilight turned to Fluttershy looking a little concerned, “Did Tak happen to say anything about his clan? Scootaloo mentioned that you said they tend not to be on their own and that usually means they’ve been abandoned.”

“I didn’t want to intrude,” Fluttershy frowned slightly, “I can’t imagine what the poor dear must be feeling if he has been kicked out of his clan…”

Twilight noticed Fluttershy glance at the door in concern, “Well… I’m sure everything is okay. I mean, he looks happy, doesn’t he?”

“I suppose so… but I can’t help worry about him.”

“Why though?” Twilight asked, “I mean, don’t get me wrong, I think it’s lovely that your trying to help somepony. But I don’t understand what’s so special about Tak.”

Fluttershy smiled warmly at Twilight, “Because, he’s like a lost foal who needs somepony to watch over him. I don’t think I’d be able to forgive myself if anything ever happened to the poor thing.”

Both mares turned their heads as they heard the sounds of Scootaloo and Tak happily playing what they figured was a game.

Twilight smiled at the pegasus, “I think I understand, Fluttershy. But I’d like to ask him some questions though… just so I can be sure of a few things.”

“Alright, but if he starts getting uncomfortable, you need to stop,” Fluttershy replied before smiling nervously. “I mean, if that’s okay…”

The unicorn giggled at her friend and nodded, “Of course, I wouldn’t dream of going over the borderline like some madpony.”

Twilight and Fluttershy shared a laugh at the preposterous idea. They decided to go and speak to Tak when they heard a loud cry coming from outside.

“What in Equestria was that?” Twilight asked as she rushed to the door.


“And so, the brave and fearless Tak finds himself at his destination. The tree of Azakoph,” Scootaloo said with a low voice.

Tak stood in front of her, wearing Scootaloo’s replica Daring helmet and glared confidently up at the tall tree that was nearby, “Tak will find the lost amulet of the Elders, no matter what terror awaits Tak!”

Tak began to head towards the base of the tree when Scootaloo spoke again, “But, our hero fails to notice the dangerous creature lurking behind him!”

The second Tak turned round to see what she was on about, Scootaloo suddenly pounced on Tak with a giggle and began to relentlessly tickle him. The kobold began to laugh loudly as he squirmed in the pegasus’ grip.

“N-no!” Tak laughed, “y-you can’t d-do this to a brave a-adventurer!”

Scootaloo giggled but didn’t let up on her attack, “The mighty Tak, with no escape, must yield to the keeper of the tree. Scoota-zuul!”

“N-never!” Tak declared.

Using his smaller size to his advantage, he managed to wriggle out from under Scootaloo and reverse tackle. Relentlessly, he began to tickle her.

“W-what? N-no!” Scootaloo giggled uncontrollably.

“Tak will defeat you, foul creature! Tak will return the amulet to the Elders!”

“I-I surrender!” Scootaloo giggled before crying out dramatically, “Somepony help!”


“Stupid food poisoning…”

High above in the sky over Fluttershy’s cottage, Rainbow Dash was grumbling to herself as she flew towards her home.

“That cook’s cutie mark clearly didn’t know what ‘cooked’ meant… least the worst is over now,” she grumbled.

She groaned again as her stomach grumbled and she hesitated for a moment, “I think I should go back to the hospital, Nurse Redheart did say—”

“Somepony help!” a voice cried from below, interrupting her.

“That sounded like Scoots!” she gasped.

Peering down below, she could just make out the filly being attacked by something. With a growl, she suddenly dive-bombed towards the ground, all feelings of nausea disappearing as she focused on her goal.

“Hold on, Scoots! I’m-a comin’!”


“Okay, o-okay!” Scootaloo giggled, “I give! You win!”

Tak grinned in triumph as he got off Scootaloo and strode over to the tree proudly to collect the ‘amulet’. The amulet was the Daring Do book which he proudly took under his arm and marched back to Scootaloo who was still giggling, albeit slightly less.

“Tak told you, Tak is best adventure!” he smirked.

“Yeah, yeah,” Scootaloo smirked, giving him a pat on the back. “You just got lucky.”

Tak stuck his tongue out at her and she did the same back, “So what adventure do you want to do now? Want Tak to be the bad guy?”

“Sure, alright. Why not—”

Scootaloo was interrupted as she heard a whooshing sound getting louder and louder above her. Both Tak and Scootaloo looked up to see a blur coming at them, and at speed.

“Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo squinted in confusion.

“Don’t worry!” Rainbow shouted, “I’ll get that monster away from you!”

“Monster?” Scootaloo muttered, before realising she meant Tak, “NO, RAINBOW. WAIT!”

Tak’s eyes shrunk as the blur known as Rainbow Dash got closer to the point where running was futile. He raised his book up to use a shield and closed his eyes, shaking in fear as he waited once again for the embrace of death.

He felt the ground vibrate slightly as the aforementioned Rainbow Dash landed, however, nothing happened. Tak slowly opened his eyes to see he was somehow still alive!

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!” Rainbow Dash squealed in a single breath. “You like Daring Do?!”

Tak slowly peeked over the book and saw a mare grinning at him, who only squealed again in delight seeing him wearing the helmet “Uh… y-yes… Tak l-likes Daring Do.”

Rainbow squealed and grinned goofily as she stomped her hooves in excitement, “That’s so awesome! You have to join my Daring Do fan club! What story do you like best? Ohmygosh, this is so awesome! I can’t believe I haven’t met you before! Do you have other friends who are also Daring Do fans? Do you wanna read my fanfiction? Ohmygosh! You’ll totally love it. I mean, it was written by me, duh, but also it’s got zombies and vamponies in it! What about your favorite book? Did you read about the time she—”

Rainbow Dash cut herself off as somepony coughed, interrupting her ecstatic fangasm. She slowly turned her head to see Twilight smirking at her and Fluttershy giggling quietly behind the unicorn.

“Uh… h-hey, Twilight, Fluttershy…” Rainbow chuckled nervously.

“I see you’ve met Tak,” Twilight replied.

“Who? This little guy?” Rainbow asked, pulling Tak into a hug and giving him a noogie. “We’re practically best buds now I know he’s a fan of the awesome Daring Do!”

“Tak is so confused…” Tak whimpered.

Scootaloo struggled to hold back her laughter as Tak wriggled from Rainbow Dash’s grip and face planted into the ground, eliciting a loud gasp from Fluttershy who rushed over to the kobold to see if he was alright.

“Oh my goodness, are you alright, Tak?” she squeaked, helping him to his feet.

“Tak is fine, just confused.”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow at Fluttershy. As the demure pegasus fussed over Tak, the kobold dusting himself off.

Rainbow edged closer to Twilight, “Hey, Twi?” Rainbow asked. “Why is Fluttershy acting all… you know.”

Twilight watched Rainbow twirl her hoof, trying to think of a word.

“Acting motherly?” she asked.

“Yeah!” Rainbow whispered, “‘That. Normally she ‘d have run for the hills at the sight of her own shadow, let alone seeing whatever the heck Tak is.”

“Kobold,” Twilight replied.

“Gesundheit,” Rainbow said.

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Don’t you remember what she was like with Spike back when we first moved to Ponyville?”

“True… maybe she just likes scaly things?” Rainbow shrugged.

“She said she felt sorry for him, as he may have been abandoned by his clan,” Twilight replied.

“Seriously? That sucks,” Rainbow frowned, “I can kinda understand being abandoned, sorta...”

Twilight nodded, “I think that’s why. You know how she is when it comes to those in need.”

Rainbow nodded as she and Twilight turned back to watch Tak — who was now riding on Scootaloo’s back — chase after a giggling Fluttershy as she ran away with the Daring Do book on her back. Twilight tittered as the scene finished and waved over to Fluttershy who nodded back at her.

“Tak, sweetie. Is it okay if Twilight asks you some questions?” she asked him.

Tak shrugged as he slipped off Scootaloo’s back and stretched, “Okay, what does she want Tak to answer?”

“Well, would you like to talk inside?” Twilight asked.

“Doesn't matter where Tak talks, as long as Tak can play again soon,” he replied, walking towards the cottage.

“I’ll try not to be long,” Twilight smiled, her horn glowing as a quill and parchment appeared.

He nervously took a step back as he watched the intimidating display of magic, “You sure you’re not going to… hurt Tak?”

“Of course not,” Twilight smiled warmly. “Would you like it if Fluttershy was with you?”

“Tak would like that,” he mumbled.

The trio entered the cottage, leaving Scootaloo and Rainbow outside.

“How you feeling, Rainbow?” Scootaloo asked with a little hope in her voice.

“Still not great,” Rainbow sighed, “After that getting so excited over Daring Do, I feel kinda tired. I’m gonna head home soon. I really could do with a nap after the whole ordeal with the hospital.”

“Oh… okay,” Scootaloo mumbled in disappointment.

Rainbow saw this and frowned, then an idea came into her head, “I know you’re sad about tomorrow, but you can always spend the day with Tak.”

Scootaloo’s head lifted quickly and a large grin found its way onto her face, “You’re right! Maybe I can bring him to meet everypony too?”

“Sure, sure,” Rainbow replied nonchalantly as her stomach groaned softly, “Want me to drop you off at Sugarcube Corner?”

“Okay!” Scootaloo grinned.

She clambered onto Rainbow’s back and held on tightly as the mare took off towards the town.


Twilight settled herself down on the armchair in front of the sofa and levitated a scroll in front of her. She smiled invitingly at Tak, “Okay, Tak. Are you ready?”

He was wedged comfortably into a pillow with a grin on his face, enjoying the softness the pillow provided, “Yes, yes. Tak is ready.”

Twilight floated the quill over her scroll and scribbled a question down as Fluttershy went into the kitchen, “Could you tell me where you clan is?”

“In a forest,” Tak replied.

Twilight blinked at his answer, “Okay… do you mean the Everfree?”

“Eh-ver free?” Tak tilted his head, “What’s that?”

“The… forest you came out of with Scootaloo?” Twilight asked.

“Oh!” Tak replied. “No.”

“So, do you know where your forest is, or what it’s called?”

He tapped his chin with a claw as he tried to think, “Tak came from small clan south of where main kobold clan was. They called the forest... ‘Palethorn’, I think.”

“Palethorn?” Twilight asked, “I’ve never heard of such a place.”

“Ponies call it something else,” Tak said.

“Which was?” Twilight pressed him.

His eyes widened as he watched Fluttershy walk back in carrying a small plate of fish, and he licked his lips. He wagged his tail and ignored her question. The unicorn coughed to regain his attention.

“Tak doesn’t know,” he replied, his eyes never leaving the fish, “Pony name for forest didn’t matter to Tak.”

The unicorn blinked again and sighed as Tak began chomping on the fish.

It was going to be a long, long evening.


Rainbow chuckled as Scootaloo explained her story through a mouthful of cupcake. They had arrived at Sugarcube Corner meeting up with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, who had since finished their respective chores and were sitting in awe, listening to Scootaloo talk about her day with Tak. Rainbow’s stomach complained loudly and she bit her lip..

“And then, we played Daring Do at Fluttershy’s!” Scootaloo grinned.

“That’s so cool! Can we—”

“Sorry, Applebloom,” Rainbow interrupted before looking to Scootaloo, “you gonna be okay here, squirt?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yeah, I’m gonna head home soon anyway. Don’t wanna freak out the foalsitter when she comes over later and finds me not there.” Scootaloo replied.

Rainbow snickered, knowing full well that Lily had a knack for overreacting sometimes to simple things. Even if it was a filly returning home one minute late after an agreed time.

“Alright, well I’ll see you guys later.”

She gave Scootaloo’s mane a ruffle before taking off out of the shop, leaving Scootaloo and the other two cutie mark crusaders to continue talking.

“So, when’re we gonna meet him?” Applebloom asked, leaning in.

Scootaloo took another bite of her cupcake, spitting out crumbs as she spoke, “Tomorrow. It’s getting kinda late and I wanna get back before my foalsitter gets grumpy with me for being late.”

“Ah guess so, ah needs to get up... early anyway…” Applebloom said looking to Sweetie Belle, cringing slightly.

“Yeah… me too,” Sweetie Belle added.

“Guys, it’s okay,” Scootaloo said, swallowing what was in her mouth, “I’ll bring Tak with me to cheer you guys on and introduce him!”

“Really? That’s awesome!” Applebloom grinned.

“I can’t wait to meet your new coltfriend!” Sweetie Belle giggled mischievously.

“W-what, he’s not my coltfriend!” Scootaloo protested.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle giggled as Scootaloo crossed her front legs in a huff,


Unbeknownst to the three fillies who continued to giggle and chat away, a pink mare’s ear began to twitch as it honed in on their conversation. Her eyes went wide and twitched slightly when she heard the forbidden words ‘new’ and ‘friend’ and ‘introduce’.

That was her job.

With a sudden dash, she leapt over the counter and ran out of the building. The three fillies felt a gust of wind rush past them.

“Did… did you girls feel that?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Yeah… what was that?” Applebloom said, looking to the door.

Scootaloo winced as she realised she had been talking about a newcomer to the town, in direct earshot of the one pony who would probably terrify Tak with her behaviour, “Guys,” she panicked, “I think we need to head to Fluttershy’s house. Right Now!”