• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 5,191 Views, 298 Comments

The Kobold of Ponyville - Mr101



A kobold turns up in Ponyville after leaving his clan in search for adventures, but gets more than he bargained for when he runs into three mischievous fillies and a motherly pegasus.

  • ...
17
 298
 5,191

Chapter XIV - A Truce?

The Kobold of Ponyville

Chapter XIV - A Truce?

Miss Cheerilee sighed as she rubbed her eyes with her hooves. In front of her, sitting in chairs that were as far away as possible on opposite sides of the room, was Tak and Diamond Tiara. All the other foals had gone home, bar Tak and Diamond as they were in detention. A result of the spats they had with one another during lunch, right up until the last class of the day.

It had only been a few hours since Tak had shoved his fishy lunch into Diamond Tiara’s mouth, and since then the two had been at each other's throats during each class, with Miss Cheerilee having to stop the class in order to scold them.

During Equuish, Tak had thrown several spitballs at Diamond making her shriek like a banshee, during geography, Diamond had walked behind Tak and used her earth pony strength to pull Tak’s chair from under him. The two were even going at it more than Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would have spats with the Cutie Mark Crusaders during classes, which was quite often.

Miss Cheerilee couldn’t believe it. The two had been so disruptive, and on Tak’s first proper day, that she had had enough.

The last straw was when she had only stepped out the room for a moment during art class to fetch something from the store room when she had returned to find the class at the back of the room and the entire room itself in a mess with desks and chairs strewn about.

Tak was sporting a, albeit badly done, makeover complete with lipstick, blush and eye shadow whilst Tiara was covered in types of different coloured paints and her mane was spiked into a punk mohawk. The two were slapping at each other with their hands and hooves whilst looking away, trying not to get hit in their own faces.

The class, needless to say, found it hilarious.

Miss Cheerilee, did not.

After the incident in art, she told them they would have to be held back after class for detention. She then rang both Fluttershy and Filthy Rich about what was going on and the two parents were currently on their way to speak with Miss Cheerilee, and the mare was hoping they could resolve the issue one way or another.

“Okay…” she started with a weary sigh, “I’m going to speak to you both, and I want you both to listen. Do not interrupt me at any point, please. When I'm done talking, then you can talk but only if I have asked you to, understood?”

The two didn’t acknowledge her or even move in their seats, remaining looking away from one another with their arms crossed and heads turned upwards. Miss Cheerilee’s left eye twitched as she stared at the pair and felt her patience very, very quickly fade away and be replaced by its angry cousin.

Rage.

She brought her hoof up and slammed it as hard as she could, which being an earth pony, meant it cracked and sent a loud bang resonating throughout her classroom. Both Tak and Diamond Tiara leapt out of their seats, startled and quickly turned their attention to the teacher.

“I said,” Miss Cheerilee said again in a calm tone, “Understood?

“Y-Yes, Ma’am!” the pair replied in unison.

The mare smiled, inhaled and exhaled as she nodded her head. “Very good.”

She paused for a moment, shuffling a few bits of paper on her desk before she addressed the two.

“It’s only been one, one day. And I am appalled by your behaviour. I have never in all my years of teaching, seen a pair go at it as quickly and as much as you too have. And over the most pointless things!”

She turned to look at Tak.

“Shoving food into her mouth, and throwing paints at her?”

Tak looked away slightly as Diamond Tiara snickered, before stopping as soon as Miss Cheerilee’s stern and irritated gaze fell upon her.

“Forcing makeup on him, and remove his chair with your earth pony strength?”

Tak grinned as Diamond looked over and glared daggers at him before both turned back to Miss Cheerilee as she once again banged her hoof on the desk, albeit not as hard, and glared at the pair of them.

“You both need to buck up your ideas and pretty soonish.” she said. “At this rate, I will have no choice but to exclude you both from our annual school trip to the Canterlot gardens next week!”

Diamond gasped softly. She loved the Canterlot gardens trip. She always loved travelling to the capital and seeing the sights, and each year her father would take her around the shops after the school trip had ended and there was no way on Equus she was going to miss out on the trip because of a lizard.

The filly glared daggers at Tak who had turned his attention to Miss Cheerilee and tilted his head on confusion.

“What’s a ‘school trip’?” he asked.

“Oh, that’s right. I forgot to tell you the other day, I’m sorry, Tak.” Miss Cheerilee replied, “Essentially, all it is is that as a class we go out and visit different locations to learn more about the world and to see what there is. The Canterlot gardens are famous for their flowers, wildlife and their statues.”

Tak nodded and started to wag his tail slightly in excitement. He liked the idea of this trip thing, and was curious to see what a statue was.

Miss Cheerilee smiled before blinking and shaking her head, remembering she was trying to punish the two and returned to staring at the two with a stern gaze.

“Now, when your parents get here, we are going to talk this out and we are going to come to an agreement, understood?”

The two mumbled their replies before Miss cheerilee raised her hoof to slam it onto the desk for a third time before both quickly sat upright and faced her.

“Y-Yes, Miss Cheerilee!” they cried.

The mare nodded before turning her head to the door at the sound of the school’s main door being opened, she got up to leave and greet the arrivals and left Tak alone with one another. The silence that followed was heavy and tense, the atmosphere ready to spark into something horrific. Both kobold and filly returned to glaring at one another from across the classroom, each one dairng the other to make a move on the other.

“This is all your fault, lizard!” Tiara hissed.

“Oh, bite Tak’s tail you spoilt brat,” Tak hissed back.

As Diamond glared at Tak, she replayed what Miss Cheerilee had said about being excluded from the trip over and over in her mind. Why should she have to miss out on going to Canterlot because of Tak?

Suddenly, an idea came into her mind and a smirk grew across her face as she coughed into her hoof, getting Tak’s attention.

“Okay, Tak. Here’s the deal, alright? I hate you, and you hate me. Right?” She started.

“Tak doesn’t hate you, Tak just thinks you're really, really annoying.” Tak replied.

“Oh, uhm… okay then? I guess I don’t hate— wait, I’m supposed to be mad at you!” Diamond huffed.

Tak snickered as Diamond forced her irritance down and coughed into her hoof again, once more getting Tak’s attention.

“Look. I don’t hate you, alright? I just find you annoying as well, just like those blank flanks. Okay?”

“And Tak finds you annoying.”

“Right, I got that. So… I find you annoying, and you find me annoying. That’s fair to say, yes??” She asked.

“Tak thinks that’s about right, yes,” Tak agreed with a nod of his head. “Though Tak thinks you’re a bigger annoyance.”

“Whatever,” Diamon replied, dismissing him with a wave of her hoof,” the point is, we find one another annoying, but you want to go on the school trip, right?”

“Well duh, Tak’s never been on a trip before! Well, except for the one Tak took to get here from Tak's clan, that wa sa very long trip and Tak thought—”

Diamond growled softly and interuppted Tak by bangning her hoof on the desk to stop him rambling on about something she didn’t care about. “Focus, Tak! Now heres—”

“Focus on what? Tak doesn’t have seeing eye glass thingies or a tehlee-scohpe like Twilight.” the kobold interrupted , tilting his head.

Diamond slapped her forehead and pulled her hoof down her face and groaned in annoyance. “No you stupid lizard, focus on what I am saying!”

“Alright you don’t have to yell!” Tak yelled back

“Oh for the love of— Just, just shut up for a moment, okay?” Diamond asked.

Tak closed his mouth as Diamond let out a frustrated sigh before she inhaled and exhaled to calm herself down.

“Right. I find you annoying, you find me annoying, we both agree on that, yes?”

Tak stared at her not replying as she gritted her teeth as she fought to suppress another wave of insults at the kobold.

“You can answer me when I ask you a question, idiot!” Diamond said.

“But you said—.” Tak started.

“I know!” Diamond shouted, her eye twitching a little, “I know what I said, but you can answer me back, okay?!”.

“Okay.” Tak replied.

Diamond let out a sigh before groaning, “As I was saying, I find you annoying, you find me annoying, yes?”

“Yes,” Take answered.

“And you want to go on this trip as much as I do, yes?”

“Yes,” Tak replied.

“Good. Now, listen closely. I have a cunning plan…”

Diamond beckoned Tak over who obliged before she began to whisper to him her plan to get them both off the hook.


Fluttershy frowned as she got nearer to the school building and let out a sigh, “Oh, Tak… why are you behaving like this?”

She sighed again as she got up to the door when a sound from behind her caught her attention and she flicked her ears up before turning around to see a worried looking Filthy Rich. Fluttershy felt a tinge of nervousness wash over her, as she hadn’t seen the stallion since the party and it was only that morning she had struck his wife for insulting Tak to her face, and the mare was unsure how he was going to act.

“O-oh, hello, Mister Rich,” Fluttershy said with a nervous smile.

“Hello, Fluttershy.” he replied with a warm smile.

The two awkwardly stood there for a moment with Fluttershy biting her lip.

“U-Um… about e-earlier, with your wife. I—.” Fluttershy started before Filthy interrupted her with a raise of a hoof.

“From what I heard my wife was… more than ghastly with how she acted. I am sorry about that, I just wish it hadn’t come to, well, what it did.”

“I’m sorry to, Mister Rich. I-I don’t know what came over me and—”

Filthy raised his hoof to interrupt her again, “It’s alright, I’ll just chalk it up to a parental protective thing. Why, I know I would have done the same, well… something similar I suppose, if some stallion was insulting my little filly.”

Fluttershy smiled at this and felt a wave of relief wash over her before Filthy Rich chuckled sheepishly.

“Though… next time I will take action. Assault is no laughing matter, after all.” Filthy added, giving Fluttershy a stern look as she nodded.

“I u-understand, I won’t do it again,” Fluttershy replied.

Filthy's expression softened as he smiled and nodded, “Oh, and it would be best if you stay away from my wife for the time being. My dear Spoilt tends to hold onto grudges. For a long time.”

“Don’t worry. I have no plans to go anywhere near her,” she replied, “Though, please make sure sure she stays away from my little Tak.”

Filthy nodded, “Agreed. Now… let’s see if we can’t get this little incident sorted. I would like to put all this behind us and see if we can’t get our little ones to get along.”

Fluttershy nodded as the two made their way to the door before the stallion coughed and nervously smiled at her.

“Oh… and please don't’ tell Spoilt I called her ghastly. I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“My lips are sealed,” Fluttershy replied with a soft titter.

They entered the building and were greeted by Miss Cheerilee who smiled at the pair.

“Hello, Mister Rich, Miss Fluttershy. Thank you for coming in, and I’m sorry this isn’t for a pleasent reason.”

“It’s fine, Miss Cheerilee. Both me and Fluttershy just want to try and resolve this as soon as possible. I think it won’t benefit anypony if this nastiness carries on, especially when there’s the potential for history making in the process of kobold and pony relations.”

Fluttershy and Miss Cheerilee looked at the stallion who chuckled.

“I... was curious after the party and had a conversation with Twilight about the whole thing. I must say it sounds very interesting.”

Fluttershy nodded before looking back to miss Cheerilee, “We hope they haven't caused you too much trouble?”

Miss Cheerilee let out a heavy sigh, “If I’m honest, I’ve never seen students act this badly before. Even when the crusaders, Diamond and Silver have their moments it’s not this bad. Heck, even then it wasn’t till a week or so until trouble happened. This is the first day!”

Both Fluttershy and Filthy looked at one another as Miss Cheerilee regaled them with the day's events, each incident making the two ponies cringe in horror.

“Oh… my,” Fluttershy said.

“I know my Diamond is… difficult, sometimes,” Filthy said, “And she’s not to fond of Tak, but this is just ridiculous… do you have any idea what we can do?”

“Well, I’ve already told them both that if they keep up this behaviour, I’m going to exclude them from coming with the class on our annual trip to Canterlot to visit the gardens.” Miss Cheerilee said. “I think that alone may help them buck their ideas up, everypony enjoys that trip so much.”

Filthy nodded, “I know that my Diamond enjoys it greatly, we go shopping afterwards which always makes her smile. That’s more than enough I feel to make her behave properly.”

“The trips’ next week? Oh my goodness I almost forgot about that,” Fluttershy gasped.

“Oh, yes,” Miss Cheerilee said, “I’m sorry, I forgot to tell you the other day when we spoke with the Princess’. I’ve explained to Tak briefly about what it’s about, and I can tell that he’s eager to go on the trip.

“That should do it, that’s something Tak would probably be eager to do. Not to mention, we could tell him that his behaviour makes his task of helping the relations between ponies and kobolds look bad. I think he would definitely think twice then.”

Miss Cheerilee smiled as she nodded, “Well, either way. I want to give the pair a chance first, so I’ve told them that we are all going to try and resolve this right here and now.”

“Good, I just want to put this nasty business behind us and see if Diamond and Tak can at least be civil with one another. Who knows, maybe we can get them to give being friends shot?” Filthy said.

Fluttershy nodded with a warm smile, “I think I’d like that too. Tak loves making new friends and I think they can both probably find something they both enjoy to bond over.”

Miss Cheerilee smiled back as she turned and began to lead the two towards the classroom. As they got closer and closer, they could hear the slightly muffled voices of Tak and Diamond talking to one another. They couldn’t make out what was being said, but it sounded like they were agreeing on something.

Miss Cheerilee looked back to Filthy and Fluttershy who looked just as puzzled and curious as she was about what was going on. Slowly, Miss Cheerilee pushed open the door to her classroom and they stepped inside, stopping when they saw a curious sight.

Tak and Diamond were standing up and they had one anothers hoof and hand together and were shaking them quickly, large smiles on their faces.

“So, I am very sorry, Tak!” Diamond said, a little louder than normal and with a weird tone to her voice.

“Yes, Tak is also very sorry. Sorry, Diamond!” Tak replied with the same weird sounding tone in his voice.

The filly noticed Fluttershy, her father and Miss Cheerilee and beamed up at them with what was clearly a forced smile, “Oh, hello, father. Miss Cheerilee, Fluttershy. What pleasent timing!”

“Yes, pleasent!” Tak added, not sure what the phrase meant.

“Hello you two, are we interrupting?” Filthy asked with a smile.

“Why, we have buried the hatchet, father!” Diamond replied, “Me and Tak have settled our problems and are now friends. Isn’t that right, Tak?”

“What?” Tak asked before Diamond nudged him in the ribs and gave him a quick scowl, “O-Oh, yes. That is right, best of friends!”

“No need to punish us! We can go to the trip together. As f-friends!” Diamond added.

Tak pulled Diamond into him with his arm around her neck so their cheeks were pressed together. Diamond began to shake, feeling the reptilian scales on her own body sent shivers down her spine. Both the kobold and filly put on an obviously fake smile as they beamed up to the three.

Filthy and Fluttershy and Miss Cheerilee all smiled warmly at the display, seemingly oblivious to the act that was being presented to them. Miss Cheerilee took a few steps forwards and leaned down to be level with them. A short silence followed as she simply smiled at them, making both Tak and Diamond sweat a little.

"Nice try, you two.” she said flatly, “but we weren’t born yesterday. Now sit down, we’re going to sort this out and nip it in the bud.”

“Oh globbits,” Tak grumbled.

“Dang it!” Diamond said, pushing Tak away from her.

The three elder ponies simply shook their heads as the kobold and fully resumed sitting as far away from one another as they could and crossed their arms and huffed. As Filthy and Fluttershy went and stood by their respective foals, Miss Cheerilee sat back at her desk and sighed.

This is going to be a long evening… she thought.

Comments ( 16 )

during geography, Diamond had used her magic to pull Tak’s chair from under him.

“Using your magic to force make up on him, and remove his chair?”

Excuse me, what? Last I checked, Diamond Tiara's an Earth pony. That sounds like unicorn magic.

8395522
Whoops, will fix uno momentino.

reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/hiding.gif

Honestly, though. I got Silver Spoon and Diamond mixed up somehow, chalk it up to working on this early this morning I guess. :twilightsheepish:

Filthy nodded, “Agreed. Now… let’s see if we can’t get this little incident sorted. I would like to put all this behind us and see if we can’t get our little ones to get along.”

Gotta agree with Filthy on this, in part because the whole "Diamond Tiara and Spoiled Rich harass the newcomer" is a trope that has been going on for many years in MLP stories, and it's pretty played out.

I THOUGHT ABOUT A KOBOLD IN EQUESTRIA, AND OML IT JUST HAPPENED:pinkiehappy::pinkiecrazy:

8395759
Same, and from what I recall. Filthy hasn't actually been shown to be a dick in the show. He's rather pleasant with Granny Smith in the zap animal jam episode, it's just his wife who's the one with a stick up their arse.

8396140 He's come off as fairly nice most of the time, though a bit overly focused on money. It's Spoiled who has come off as awful (though genuinely proud of Filthy), and as a result we've been inundated with 5 million "Spoiled is massively rude to protagonists, suffers a humiliation conga, everyone cheers" stories over the last few years. Of course, we've been getting stories like that about Diamond Tiara since 2012, so I shouldn't be surprised.

BTW, that thing with Tak wearing makeup and Diamond Tiara wearing paint as they slap at each other? So adorable!

8396456
the only time he's come off jerky is in Equestra girls everfree movie where he's the stereotypical evil industrialist

In the famous words of Granny Smith

"You went and oversold it!"

Well, the truce didn't pass adult muster, but at least that's common ground that maybe they can build upon as time goes on.

8395526
Spoiled, Diamond, and Silver Spoon are all earth ponies. It was a little odd a couple chapters ago when Spoiled insulted her own race to insult Applejack.

8432694
i.giphy.com/media/UvwI1X7XkbXq0/200.gif

I... got nothing. Not sure how I managed that but I think at the time I had a different insult that was a class-based one that insulted Miss Cheerilee for being, in Spoilt's eyes, lower than she was as an earth pony but changed it to something akin to calling her a 'stupid woman' and forgot to take out the earth part. Either way, I goofed.

Ta for the spot.

8432787
No worries. Nice gif. :pinkiehappy:

8432798
Cheers, one of the best shows ever and one of my favorite reaction gifs.

:fluttercry: Please stay alive story

We want more!! We want more!! :rainbowlaugh:

Victor yerris still sounds something like what I imagine tak sounds like.

Login or register to comment