• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 5,690 Views, 177 Comments

The Last Crystal Unicorn - TheMyth



Rarity goes out to hunt for gems again, but finds more than what she bargained for

  • ...
8
 177
 5,690

Chapter 4

The following morning started as it did with every morning, with the rooster’s calling. For Rarity though, an alarm clock woke her up every morning as she was a sound sleeper with ear muffs on her. When she finally deactivated the clock, she groggily stretched her legs before climbing out of her soft bed.

Rarity gave a yawn as she marched straight to the mirror, staring at the mess that was her mane. She shook her head and took a comb out of her drawer, making her mane as curly and shiny as it was everyday.

Once she was done with her mane and coat, she stepped out of her room and gently opened the door leading another bedroom where the foals of the house were sleeping in.

Sweetie Belle was sleeping soundly in her own bed, rolled up and snuggled in her duvet coverings. A small smile was present of her face, no doubt from a dream she was having. Rarity’s eyes softened at the adorable scene, before she blinked and looked to the other bed.

Thankfully, Sweetie Belle’s room had another bed in it in case one of her friends came by and had to sleep over for the evening. This was the case for Amethyst, who wouldn’t most likely use this bed now for more than just one evening. Said crystal unicorn was not clutching on his coverings like his roommate was, as they were on the ground and he was sleeping on his back.

Rarity bit her lower lip and softly made her way to the bed, using her magic to gently lift the duvet up from the ground and place it upon the colt’s small body. Just as she was done, his body started stirring. She backed away sharply, fearing she woke him up. Amethyst merely creeped in further, most likely his instincts kicking in to try and get warm.

When he stopped stirring, Rarity exhaled and smiled softly to the foals. She made her way out of the room and down to the kitchen, preparing breakfast for all three. Before she stepped into the kitchen though, she saw a white envelope on the floor before the front door. She used her magic to pick the envelope up, and saw the royal seal on it.

That was quick…

Just as she spoke in her mind, the growling of a miserable cat came up from behind Rarity. Opalescence was not an animal of patience, and she demanded to be fed on time or whenever she wished to be.

Rarity rolled her eyes in annoyance, trotting past Opalescence and into the kitchen. She reached for a bowl and took hold of the cat food, pouring in a generous helping for her cat. “Here you go Opal, enjoy,” she said and saw her cat munch down on the food, not bothering to give her master another look.

Sighing, Rarity opened the letter.

Dear Rarity,

I have received your request to look into things, and I’m sorry to say that Amethyst has caused quite the buzz. Crystal unicorns are very rare, we’re not sure if any are left in the Empire. We still haven’t done a proper census of the Empire, so the search will take time. In case Amethyst hasn’t told you, Sombra....

Rarity skimmed the details of the Culling.

So as you can see, we are not very optimistic. We believe a crystal unicorn would be known to us by now. However, we will still look. Auntie says she filed custody papers for Amethyst on your behalf, though I’m hoping it will only be a temporary thing.

I hope to have answers for you soon.

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

Cadance

Rarity looked over the letter, then carefully took it to a drawer she kept her files in. She tucked it away, vowing not to let Amethyst see it. No need dashing or raising his hopes this soon. In the meantime, perhaps something else fun would get his mind off things.

Then something occurred to her. Perhaps the best way to help him adjust was something else fun. Another day out...

She considered herself. “All my commissions can wait another day,” she decided. She pulled out some paper and a quill. She would have Sweetie run to Blaze and have him deliver the message. She needed a royal chariot.


Rarity was grateful she needed that letter delivered, because Sweetie had been planning on making breakfast that morning, and anything that prevented that was worth the effort. Rarity whipped up a quick meal of toast, oatmeal, and juice, which was finished just as the chariot landed on the Boutique's front lawn.

“Requested escort for Lady Rarity and guests,” the lead driver said stiffly. The white-coated unicorn nodded, levitating a bit into each of their saddlebags before getting on. Thirty minutes of excited pratter from Sweetie later, they were in Canterlot, and the guards were given another two-bit tip.

“Well now,” Rarity said happily, “here we are, the culture center of Equestria... except maybe Manehattan. Where would you like to go first?”

Amethyst looked around and was amazed at the landmark that was known as Canterlot. Back in his time, the capital of the Princesses were in the Everfree Forest where they were safe from enemy invasion should it ever arise. At least, that’s what he was taught by his mother. Why the Princesses moved the capital he still had to find out. For now, he was lost in this new environment with no idea of where to go next.

“I don’t know where is where, Miss Rarity,” he answered plainly, shrugging as he looked at her.

Rarity hummed as she thought of an answer. “Why don’t we go and walk around a bit, see if we find something interesting?” she asked the foals, both nodding to answer her. “Good, let’s be off then.”

As the trio walked through the streets of Canterlot, Amethyst felt a tingling of intimidation running down his spine when he saw a few of the residential ponies looking at him in curiosity and in awe, as though he were a living wonder display at the circus.

As she felt Amethyst sticking close to her, Rarity took notice of some ponies looking at him oddly. “Pay no attention to them, Amethyst, they just haven’t seen a crystal pony in their lives before.”

“That or he is a crystal unicorn,” Sweetie Belle remarked as she saw one upper class mare looking distantly at her before sticking her muzzle high and trotting off ‘gracefully’. “I’m bored, Rarity!” Sweetie groaned as they walked for what seemed to be forever.

“Sweetie, honestly!” Rarity replied as she furrowed her brow in frustration. “It’s not ladylike to behave like you are now, and besides…” she trailed off as she looked down on Amethyst. “We are showing Amethyst what Canterlot is like. What do you think so far?” She asked him curiously, noticing that he hasn’t said a word.

“It is awfully gigantic in size,” he replied as he looked around from building to building. “Yet why are most of the ponies here foul in their hospitality?” he asked Rarity, as he compared Ponyville to Canterlot and noticed vast differences between the two.

Sweetie Belle giggled at his question, but was silenced when Rarity glowered at the filly. “Well, let’s just say the ponies here haven’t learned how to behave themselves as proper ladies or gentlecolts.”

“I see…”

“Besides, not all ponies here are like that. There are a few who are genuinely kind and caring to their fellow pony,” she said as she remembered her friend Fancy Pants and his wife Fleur de Lis. Just as she was reminiscing her stay in Canterlot, she accidently bumped into a pony. “I-I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to--”

“Rarity, is that you?”

Rarity jumped a bit at the sudden voice, but brightened when he realized its source. Turning, he saw a familiar stallion before her, adjusting his monocle.

“Fancy Pants! I must say, it’s a pleasure running into you here.”

“Likewise. You usually announce your visits.” He looked down a moment. “I say, a crystal unicorn? I’ve heard a good deal about the crystal ponies. How do you do, my names is Fancypants.”

“Amethyst, delighted,” he said, a bit meekly.

“Very nice. May I ask why you are with Rarity?”

“I’m staying with her until my parents can be found.”

Suddenly feeling awkward, Fancy Pants looked up at Rarity.

“It’s a long story,” Rarity said quickly. “I brought Amethyst up here to experience some culture.”

“Have you now?” He smiled. “I happen to be hosting a bit of a get-together in my box at today’s opera. Perhaps that is what the boy needs.”

“Perhaps. What do you say, Amethyst?”

“I’d like that very much. Thank you, sir.”

Fancy Pants chuckled, readjusting his monocle as he smiled. “My, such a well-behaved colt. Well, come on now, the opera will be starting any minute.”


Cadance looked through every record that her assistants had brought her. Again and again, she was sure there would be nothing but paperwork in her dreams tonight, and yet nothing came up. No crystal unicorns seemed to exist in the Empire.

She rubbed her head, leaning back. Her eyes felt like they were going to fall right out of their sockets. She needed to take a break.

“Your highness?”

Cadance’s attention was drawn to the door, where a crystal pony with red coat and white mane stood. Shimmering Ruby was the royal advisor for Cadance and Shining Armor, often she played as steward in case of emergencies for Cadance.

“Yes, Shimmering?”

“May I enter?”

Cadance nodded and saw Shimmering enter the room before closing the door behind her. “What can I help you with Shimmering?” She asked him politely, as she was straightening her desk.

“It’s not me who needs help, my Princess, but it seems that you need help,” she replied, taking notice of the bags under Cadance’s eyes.

She merely groaned before smiling awkwardly. “Am I that transparent?”

“Very,” she chuckled before clearing his throat. “What seems to be the problem, Your Majesty?”

Cadance scrunched her lips a little as he called her that, something she didn’t like one bit. Before she spoke, she got up from her desk and stretched her legs. “It seems that my sister-in-law’s friend has made a discovery lately…” she trailed off as she walked towards Shimmering.

“Lady Sparkle? Her friends are the Elements of Harmony, correct?” she asked her, having been trapped for over a thousand years thanks to a certain dark spell by a peculiar unicorn tyrant.

“Yes,” Cadance answered her. “Rarity, the Bearer of the Element of Generosity, seems to have found one crystal pony out in the desert not so long ago.”

“Oh?” Shimmering’s eyebrow cocked at this news. “What is so special about one crystal pony being found away from home?” She asked Cadance, curious how one crystal pony could bring Cadance to not barely sleep at all.

Before Cadance answered her, she used a spell to envelop the room in what seemed to be a foamish-magical layer. Shimmering knew this was the sound-proof spell, used when information of the highest level was traded amongst ponies.

“What I am about to tell you, Shimmering, is top secret and cannot leave this room, understood?” she asked her advisor, who gave a single nod with her lips sealed. “A few days ago, a crystal unicorn colt was found just outside of Ponyville by Rarity.”

The vizier's eyes widened. “A crystal unicorn? That’s amazing! I thought Sombra exterminated them all during the Culling.”

“Apparently not. From what I can gathered, he was snuck out by his mother around the time the Culling was taking place.”

“Then he might very well be the last one left,” the vizier muttered with awe.

“Indeed. I suppose you don’t know of any survivors?”

“I’m afraid not... still...” the pony pondered a minute longer. “Even if we do not succeed in finding any family, he should be returned to the Empire as soon as possible.”

“Do you think that will be necessary?”

“Indeed. He’s a national treasure. He belongs up here, among his own kind. The ponies will not like him being away once they discover him... and they will discover him, mark my words. It’s only a matter of time before his existence becomes public knowledge.”

“I suppose...” she mused. “But let’s give it time. It’s probably for the best he remains away from the Empire until we’re sure of his family.”

Ruby seemed uneasy. “Your Highness, I’m, not sure that’s wise. He should be brought up here...”

“Why?” Cadance said. “So he can hear every false lead? So he can get his hopes dashed?” Immediately the alicorn calmed. “I’m sorry, but... after my parents went missing...” she sighed. “I hung onto every hope like that... I don’t want that happening to him.”

“Your Highness...”

“We’ll keep his existence a secret as long as we can,” Cadance replied firmly. “In the meantime, fabricate a reason he can’t come up here if he’s discovered too soon.”

“I...” she began, then she sighed. “Of course, Your Highness,” she said with a bow, then turned to leave.

“Wait, Ruby?”

She stopped. “Yes, Your Highness?”

“How much time passed between the Culling and Sombra being overthrown?”

Ruby tapped her chin thought, furrowing her brow. “About half a day at least Princess, not so long ago…” she trailed off, trying her best to remember.

Cadance let loose a sigh of relief, a little bit of hope shining down on this problem. “That’s good news at least, there might have been a few survivors after all.”

“I hope so, Your Majesty, I certainly hope so…”


The Canterlot Opera House was one the largest theatres in all of the world. Today’s premiere was that of the tale of Phantom of the Opera, famous in Bardigiano for its drama and romance.

So it was that Rarity, Sweetie Belle and Amethyst walked out with Fancy Pants and his wife Fleur de Lis after seeing one of the most moving masterpieces ever. Rarity in particular was the most touched, as her eyes were puffy and she was blowing her nose with a tissue from crying.

“That was the most tragic and most beautiful thing I have ever seen!”

Sweetie Belle merely giggled at her sister’s state, though she was impressed by the play nonetheless. “I have to admit, it was sad how the Phantom just vanished in the end and only his mask was left behind.”

Fancy Pants chuckled as he adjusted his monocle and felt his wife coming closer to his side. “I say, that was quite a marvelous display of love and sorrow,” he mentioned and he took notice of Amethyst. “My dear colt, what do you have to say about the play?”

Amethyst hummed as he stared upwards. “I admit, the opera was quite moving in terms of romance. Though I can’t help but feel sad about how the Phantom sacrificed so much for the lady he loved and yet it seemed he never had a happy ending.”

“Huh?” Sweetie Belle pondered his words and scrunched her lips. “Haven’t thought about it like that.”

Before Rarity could answer, Fancy Pants cleared his throat to address her. “Rarity, will you join me and Fleur for lunch perhaps? Your sister and friend are most welcomed too.”

“I’m sorry, Fancy, but I have another appointment that can’t be delayed any further,” she replied to him, albeit sadly.

“Ah,” Fancy Pants merely smiled and nodded. “I understand. Well then, I hope to see you again soon. Good day.” He bid Rarity farewell before he and his wife trotted off towards the cafés of the city.

“What appointment are we going to?” Sweetie asked.

Rarity took a breath. “Well, when I sent a request for the chariot, Princess Celestia overheard and asked us to meet her for lunch. And that’s exactly what we’re going to do.”

“The Princess!” Sweetie’s eyes lit up.

“Do you mean, Princess Celestia? Or Princess Luna?” Amethyst asked. “They still rule Equestria, don’t they?”

“Yes, dearie. You did know she was immortal, didn’t you?”

“Well, yes,” he answered slowly, “but I would have thought they were tired of ruling by now. There was always much propaganda around the Empire, with Sombra saying they were becoming weary of the throne.”

“Sombra told you nothing but lies then,” Rarity assured. “Celestia has reigned for a while now, and Luna... well, I’ll tell you later. But one doesn’t ignore a summons from either of them.”

“Of course,” Amethyst said. “Lead the way.”


Celestia was enjoying having several casual visitors in this day and age. She found leaving the door open for any of the Bearers to visit brought some relief to the stiff company she usually kept, and getting Rarity and two foals was plenty of fun for her.

As the little ones sipped their tea, Celestia spoke to Rarity. “Are you having any trouble keeping Amethyst? Any budget trouble? I can afford a loan if you are.”

“That’s quite alright, I have more than enough. I daresay I might not even need to cut back on luxuries, with all the bits my work brings in.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” the Princess smiled. Then he turned to Amethyst. “Are you enjoying Ponyville?”

“Yes, Your Majesty...”

“Your Highness, dear,” Rarity corrected. “Princesses are referred to as Highness.”

Celestia smiled. “I’m no queen, little one. I stay a Princess so I may give power to my little ponies.”

Amethyst merely nodded and he took a sip of his tea, which already had about five lumps of sugar in it. The colt wanted to place more in it, but Rarity put her hoof down and shook her head when he tried to reach it.

Seeing this, Celestia stifled a giggle at the colt’s antics. “I see you have a liking for sugar,” she told Amethyst, taking a bite of a slice of a cake she had.

“Well…” Amethyst trailed off, looking downwards guiltily gulping. “Such a delicacy was not in my diet back then.”

Celestia scrunched her lips as she blinked a few times. If only I acted faster back then, she thought to herself, looking down on Amethyst’s head.

“If I may be permitted to ask, Princess,” Amethyst began speaking, placing his hoof down on the saucer. “What will become of me?”

Rarity looked up to Celestia, who met her gaze with her own. Both ponies looked nervous before looking back at Amethyst. Celestia cleared her throat after clearing her cup. “As we are speaking now, my niece and nephew-in-law are working at their hardest to find your family up in the Crystal Empire. Until then, I would suggest you remain in Ponyville. Maybe even make new friends there, too,” She told him, with a light smile on her face. She hoped he wouldn’t ask her any more questions that were sensitive to both him and her.

“But why didn’t anypony know about us until now? Why were our history suddenly withheld from the rest of Equestria?”

Celestia jerked her head backwards a little, as Amethyst hit the nail on its head. She scrunched her lips before closing her eyes slowly before opening them up again. “When Sombra sealed the empire, all knowledge of the empire he took with him too. During that time, Equestria did not have a library system like we have today. Hence books pertaining to a kingdom’s knowledge was exclusive only to that kingdom’s. When Sombra sealed the empire, only a few books remained. Although the knowledge within those books was not as adequate, we did our best to preserve your history in our journals.”

Amethyst looked to Celestia’s eyes, his own crystal-like irises shining for a moment in the refraction of the sun’s rays coming from the window. “I understand.”

Rarity, tapping her hoof nervously, placed a hoof to her mouth and coughed a little to gain the colt’s attention. “Why don’t we go and see what the rest of the castle looks like?” She suggested, hoping Amethyst would agree.

“Verily.”


Shimmering Ruby fumed as she sat in the luxurious room she called her own. Even under Sombra’s reign she had lived richly, though every time this was brought up she was quick to insist she served him mainly out of fear, and did her best to minimize the terrors under his reign.

It was a lie, of course. But ponies were stupid beasts that way. But not her. Oh, not her.

Picking up an imported Sweet Apple Acre product and biting into it, she kept her eyes on the door, half-expecting her assistant to come through with the news she wanted to hear. He never did, but it gave her time to consider things.

A crystal unicorn... that could be big. Sombra was adamant that any pony with horns or wings meet the executioner’s axe, but only in the final days of his reign. Beforehand, it had been good old-fashioned paranoia that fueled him. Anypony with a horn could oppose him, were plotting against him, and you just couldn’t have that.

But it gave way to genocide eventually, and the king had been thorough. Or rather, she had been thorough, the fool was babbling made by that point. He would have taken a blunt hammer to the problem and sent the Alicorn Princesses running up to banish him even sooner had it not been for her careful planning. One simply could not have been missed. Unless... unless...

She grinned. It had to be. It was the only answer. Yes... no fault of hers.

She glanced at the door again, a nervous habit that had formed over the past two hours. She needed the records checked. To see if any unicorn had survived, the fool Sombra ordered most of them destroyed, but perhaps a scrap or two still lived in the library’s collections.

She just needed to wait. She had waited this long, a few more days made no difference. Sombra was a fool, but Cadance was not much better, and neither was her incompetent gelding of a husband. They’d fall to her.

After all, Sombra would have, had she had the time...


Rarity watched as Amethyst crawled into his bed. It was his in her mind, by this point. As she levitated the covers over him, she said, “I do hope you enjoyed Canterlot.”

“I did,” he said, grinning. “In my time, t’was only Sombra himself that was treated to luxuries of such magnitude. Celestia is most magnanimous.”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it,” Rarity told him with a soft smile. “I hope you both have sweet dreams.”

“Yes…” Amethyst mumbled, wrapping the covers over himself tightly and looking away from Rarity.

Rarity sighed, seeing the colt look uncomfortable. “Amethyst, I know what you are thinking. You must just be patient.”

Amethyst merely nodded, his eyes fluttering as he was becoming drowsy.

Rarity lowered her head and kissed his forehead gently, oblivious to Sweetie rolling her eyes. “And if all else fails, you will always have a home here. I promise you.”

“Thank you, Miss Rarity.”

“You’re most welcome, Amethyst,” she told him softly, as she reached down and kissed him again. “Goodnight.” She then made her way out of the room, but stopped when she saw Sweetie simply eying her sister. “Almost forgot,” she then made her way to her little sister and gently pecked her on the forehead too. “For my darling baby sister.”

Sweetie only rolled her eyes, but smiled none the less. “‘Night, Rarity.”

With that, Rarity finally went to her bedroom to flop down on her bed. She didn’t bother covering herself, as her mind was too preoccupied with today’s events. She merely sighed and looked up to the ceiling.

I hope everything will be alright...