• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 5,691 Views, 177 Comments

The Last Crystal Unicorn - TheMyth



Rarity goes out to hunt for gems again, but finds more than what she bargained for

  • ...
8
 177
 5,691

Chapter 2

Six mares were now sitting in the kitchen of Rarity’s home, having tea and discussing the future of the colt who was resting upstairs in Rarity’s main bedroom.

“Ah don’t know about y’all, but Ah think that there colt needs to head to the empire,” Applejack suggested, taking a bite of a biscuit.

Rarity was strangely vocal against any notion of sending him away. “You mean just take a colt who is still recovering and throw him out in the open?!”

“Woah, Nelly! Ah didn’t mean it like that. Of course that there colt needs to rest up and get himself acquainted with what’s happened…”

Rainbow nodded as she looked to Applejack. “Got that right. You know what the kid said, a thousand years can be a lot to catch up on.”

“I do have a book for just that, gave it to Luna when she visited during Nightmare Night,” Twilight suggested as she finished her cup of tea and refilled it. “I’m just concerned if he will be alright with catching up to today’s culture.”

Pinkie Pie was silent the whole conversation, taking in what her friends had to say about Amethyst and what choices had to be made for him. Until. “Well, the first thing we do is throw him a party when he gets well! A Gotten-Well-and-Welcome-to-Ponyville Party!”

Rarity sighed as she planted her hoof to her face. “Pinkie, I don’t think a party is the top priority for that poor colt right now.”

“Um, I think we should talk about where he is going to stay,” Fluttershy mentioned to the group of friends, but was met with silence.

Twilight sighed as she took a bite of a cookie. “Well, my library is out of the question at the moment, there are some renovations being performed now.” She said as she sipped her tea. “And I don’t think Blaze is an option unfortunately.”

“Well, my house a no-go, I live up in the clouds,” Rainbow told her friends and thought that even with a cloud-walking spell, her house was already filled with her daughter Scootaloo and her father Spectrum who moved in about half a year ago.

“He’ll stay here.”

Everypony turned to Rarity, who stared into her tea with her eyes narrowed in thought and determination. “Amethyst will stay here with me until further notice.”

“Are ya sure about that, Rarity? What about Sweetie Belle?”
Rarity waved her hoof dismissively and smiled to her friend. “She and Amethyst will get along just fine.”

“I’ve always wondered,” Twilight said, a little slowly, “why does Sweetie never stay with her parents?”

Rarity got quiet for a moment, looking down in her tea. “She does, but they travel a lot.” Rarity’s tone was half anger being directed toward her parents, and half a clear statement that Twilight shouldn’t press the subject any further.

After a tense moment, Applejack spoke. “Well, it’s probably fer th’ best he’s already got his cutie mark, the foals woulda had him in pieces draggin’ him ‘round tryin’ to get it.”

“Yes...” Twilight said, in thought. “What is his special talent? Maybe I can get him a book on it, too.”

“I can gemcraft.”

The six mares jumped slightly at the noise, their ears perking up. They turned to see Amethyst, standing nervously at the foot of the stairway.

“Darling, you shouldn’t be up,” Rarity said gently, immediately rising to her hooves and trotting over to him. “You should be resting...”

“I’m hungry,” he said, blushing. “I... I wanted to get something...”

“Of course, of course,” Rarity said, lifting the colt up with her magic and placing him in her now empty chair. “You wait here, I’ll make you something.”

Rarity went right to work, and Applejack and Fluttershy rose to help her. Meanwhile, Twilight spoke to Amethyst.

“You said you can gemcraft? Does that mean you can sculpt gems?”

He nodded.

“Why don’t I go get one of Rarity’s and you can show...”

“No need,” he said when he spotted a few flawed gems on the table. With that, he furrowed his brow and concentrated hard. With a flash, a meter-long gem appeared on the table.

Twilight jumped. “You just created that... that’s a rare talent.”

“I can only make one a day...” he said slowly. He wiped away a sweat from his forehead as he was catching his breath. “It’s not easy, but if I had other materials… I could try and make something better next time.”

Just as Rarity came back with a plate of hay sandwiches and some juice, she gently placed the food before Amethyst whose mouth was watering.

“I hope you like this, I’m sorry I couldn’t make you something a little more satisfying.” She said, remembering she still had to do weekly groceries.

But Amethyst was eating the sandwiches anyway, with a light smile on his face. “They’re delicious, thank you,” he told her as he turned to her and took a sip of his juice.

Rarity blushed lightly before turning her attention to the rod Amethyst had just created. “Oh my!” She took a glance at this and recognized the gem that he had just created. “This is an amethyst!” She squeed as she looked at the gem in appreciation. “Where did this come from?”

“I made it, Miss Rarity,” Amethyst said as he finished his meal. “Although I can only do it once a day, uses too much magic and depending on the material I have available.”

“Hold on,” Twilight raised her hoof interrupting the colt. “When you say material, what do you mean exactly?”

“Well, I can’t just create a gem out of nothing. I need material to make something out of them. Equivalent Trade, is what my mother called it…” he trailed off, looking down with his eyes slightly moist.

Rarity reached out to Amethyst and placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Why don’t you go rest up now? You must be very tired,” she told him as she looked in his eyes, his clear blue eyes.

Amethyst nodded before getting off the table and making his way out of the room, before turning back to the mares. “Tis’ a pleasure meeting you all. Adieu.” He gave a slight bow before exiting the room.

“What a well-mannered colt,” Rarity remarked, smiling fondly to where Amethyst was just now.

“Wait!” Pinkie shot her head up, confusion on her face. “What does ‘Adieu’ mean?” she asked her friends.

Twilight shook her head, rolling her eyes as she smiled. “It’s another word for saying ‘good day’ or ‘good night’.”

“Oooooh!”


Sweetie Belle entered the front door of Carousel Boutique, giving a loud “I’m home!”

“Shhh, Sweetie!” Rarity said, rushing to her younger sister. “You need to be quiet. We have a guest who’s trying to get some sleep.

Sweetie perked up. “Somepony’s here?” she brightened. “Is it Mom or Dad?”

Pain showed across Rarity’s face for split second, but she quickly regained her composure. “I’m afraid not, Sweetie. There’s a colt upstairs I found when I was out gem-hunting today. He’s going to be staying with us for awhile.”

Sweetie blinked. “A colt?”

“That’s right...”

“DoeshehavehisCutieMar--”

“Yes, yes!” Rarity said quickly. “And a very nice special talent.”

Sweetie began dashing for the stairs, but Rarity cut her off using her magic to freeze her sister when she was about to take the first step on the staircase. “Now see here, that colt’s been trapped in crystal for a thousand years, I think he could benefit from rest more than any shenanigans.”

Sweetie blinked. “Huh?”

Rarity took her to the kitchen, made some tea, and told her the whole story. Sweetie waited until it was over before continuing. “So how long is he going to be here?”

“I’m not sure,” she admitted. “Hopefully, not too long. Princess Cadance should be able to find his family and he’ll be safe and happy with them.”

“What if they don’t find them?”

She sighed. “Well, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, as they say. In the meantime, the best we can do is offer him love and support.” She took a sip of tea. “I’m hoping you and your friends won’t mind having another along?”

She shook her head. “No, I think it’ll be fun! Maybe he’ll like my singing as much as the others do!”

Rarity smiled fondly at her little sister’s enthusiasm. “I am certain that he would enjoy your singing. Everypony does.”

“So when can I meet him?” Sweetie Belle bounced in place, even more curious about their new guest.

Before Rarity could answer her, the sound of hoof steps coming from the stairs alerted the two sisters to the presence of the crystal unicorn guest.

Amethyst looked to Rarity and to Sweetie Belle, feeling a little out of place. “Am I disturbing you?” he asked nervously, shuffling his hooves.

Sweetie’s eyes dilated to the size of plates as her jaw dropped. She let out a ear piercing squeal and galloped towards a startled Amethyst. “Oh my gosh! A real crystal pony is here in my house! A crystal unicorn! Yay! Yay!” She jumped around a confused Amethyst. “My name is Sweetie Belle! What is your name?”

“A-Amethyst, Amethyst Craft.”

“I’m Sweetie Belle! Nice to meet you!” She greeted him and looked to his flank and gasped. “What does your cutie mark represent? Please tell me!”

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity called out and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Honestly, give the poor colt some breathing room, please.” She sighed before she turned back to Amethyst and gave him a tender smile. “Anything you need, Amethyst?”

Amethyst merely nodded, still boggled at Sweetie Belle’s greeting. “I awoke not long ago…” he trailed off and looked down on the floor guiltily. “Thank you.”

Rarity gasped, placing a hoof to her mouth before removing it and smiling to the colt. “Well, I imagine it must be boring lying in bed the whole day if you are well rested.”

Sweetie Belle leaned into the conversation the two were having now, feeling a little left out. “Is it true you were stuck in a crystal!? For a thousand years?”

“Tis true…” Amethyst answered to her, though he sighed and his eyes looked downwards as he sighed.

“Oh, don’t you worry, Darling,” Rarity ruffled his head. “All the other Crystal Ponies were sealed away for a thousand years as well. We shall find your family soon enough. Princess Cadance is already on the job, and I assure you she’s quite competent in those matters.

“The Empire?” he said. Suddenly, he got scared. “Sombra, is he--”

“He’s gone,” Rarity assured. “He was defeated a few months ago, I saw him myself. That beast no longer burdens the Empire.”

“Tis a relief,” Amethyst sighed. “But I am not certain about my kin.”

“Why?” Sweetie asked.

“Sombra was horrid. When he enslaved the Empire, he broke up so many families. I was taken from my mother and father and sent to work in the mines. And then... then Sombra started the Culling.”

“The... Culling?” Sweetie tilted her head. “What does that mean?”

Rarity gulped. She had an idea, but before she could stop him, Amethyst continued.

“Sombra was wary of any who challenged his power. So he began to execute any unicorn he could find, saying that they had committed treason. When he started killing pegasi too, everypony knew what he was truly planning. My mother knew I’d be killed before too long, so she decided to take a chance. She rescued me from the mines, and dragged me outside. Something was happening, but I had been down in the mines so long I couldn’t see anything in the bright light. The next thing I knew, I was waking up in front of Miss Rarity.”

“Oh my...” Rarity said. The worst case scenario flashed through her head, that this colt might truly be an orphan. She had seen no crystal unicorns, after all. Still...

“What did your parents do?”

“My mother was an advisor in the court before Sombra took over... I hardly remember my father.”

Rarity sighed. She saw it in his eyes, there was little hope of his parents still being among the living.

“Well, even if they aren’t found, Ponyville is a great place to live!” Sweetie said. She, too, had noticed his depression and was trying to cheer him up. “Tomorrow, you can meet my friends! You’ll love them!”

Amethyst blinked to Sweetie’s statement, remaining silent before answering. “Thank you.”

Rarity smiled again before reaching out to Amethyst. “Why don’t you relax for a moment whilst I prepare supper for the three of us?” She told him with a warm tone.

“Let me help, too!” Sweetie Belle insisted, marching to the kitchen. She was stopped though when a white aura surrounded her and placed her next to Amethyst.

“Why don’t you and Amethyst get acquainted more?” She suggested to Sweetie, not wanting to leave Amethyst alone and not wanting to have her sister utilize her dreadful culinary skills.

Sweetie only blinked before tilting her head sideways. She then turned to Amethyst, who remained neutral in his expression. “Okay!” Sweetie Belle replied and grabbed Amethyst’s hoof. “Come on! I’ll show you my room!”

Before Amethyst could reply, he was immediately yanked by Sweetie Belle and brought upstairs. Rarity chuckled and went straight to work in the kitchen. As she was preparing the meals, a thought suddenly ran through her mind.

I never asked him what he likes to eat!


“Tis very delicious. Thank you.”

Rarity sighed in relief with her eyes closed and a soft smile forming. “You’re most welcome, Amethyst,” she replied and collected all the plates off the table. “Who wants dessert? Chocolate Mousse.”

“I do!” Sweetie Belle raised her hoof in the air, happy that her sister made her favourite dessert. Even more surprised that she made it even when she knew Rarity was suppose to be on a diet.

“What is ‘Chocolate Mousse’?” Amethyst asked curiously, meeting the blank stare of Sweetie Belle. “What?”

Sweetie groaned shook her head, rolling her eyes. “Just bring it out, please Rarity.”

“I’ll be right back~”

When Rarity left the two foals alone, Sweetie Belle looked to Amethyst. “So what are your plans for tomorrow?” she asked curiously, knowing that tomorrow would be a Saturday.

“Miss Rarity told me that she wanted to guide me through your town.”

Sweetie beamed at his answer. “Me and my friends can help out, too! You’ll love it!”

“Really?”

Sweetie nodded. “We’re going to have to go to all the places. Sugarcube Corner, Fluttershy’s animal habitats, Twilight’s library, Sweet Apple Acres. Maybe we can even see the edge of the Everfree Forest--”

“Absolutely not!” Rarity said, coming in with the three trays of mousse. “Sweetie, you know better than to go there.”

“Aw, Rarity, we weren’t going to go in, we were just going to see the edge--”

“Need I remind you that the Timberwolves can be bold enough to attack ponies that get even that close? Or that a cockatrice can turn you to stone even at a distance?”

“But Twilight goes in all the time.”

“Twilight knows more magic than every other unicorn in town put together, she can care for herself. I, meanwhile, care for you, and therefore I will not have you even approaching that area.”

“Okay...”

“What are Timberwolves?” Amethyst asked.

“Nasty creatures,” Rarity said, “made of trees hit by Nightmare Moon’s magic.”

“...Who’s Nightmare Moon?”

Both Rarity and Sweetie looked at him with disbelief before remembrance hit their features. “I think that you better look through the books Twilight gave you. You truly do have a lot to catch up on.”

“Yeah, like desert,” Sweetie said. “Come on, try it out!”

Lifting up a spoonful, Amethyst put it in his mouth. There was a pause.

Then he lifted the whole bowl to his mouth and gulped it down.

“Dearie, please eat right.”

“Wha... what’s in this amazing dish?”

“Sugar,” Sweetie said.

“Oh... such heavenly bliss! The Creators themselves must have blessed this miraculous substance!”

As he continued gulping down his desert, Rarity sighed. She was going to have to put this foal on a diet.