• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 8,260 Views, 500 Comments

Ein Sof Zealotry - ZhaoZoharEX



Twilight Sparkle has never felt so lonely. After what happened at her brother’s wedding rehearsal she can’t but question her friends’ worth, and once she starts doubting one part of her life, second thoughts about the rest soon foll

  • ...
23
 500
 8,260

Chapter 18

Original Title: Three Races to Wage War
This chapter is part of the older version of "Ein Sof Zealotry" and is to be considered non-canon in lieu of the pending rewrite. This along with the rest of the old story remain for the purpose of comparison.


A ray of sun crept through the curtains of Rainbow Dash’s bedroom as she cracked her eyes open, which was a chore considering how little sleep she’d been getting in recent weeks.

“Ugh, what time is it?”

Rainbow’s bloodshot eyes had a hard time recognizing her soundings as she rolled over to glance at her alarm clock, which was not set for any particular time. Her blurry vision didn’t allow her to read the time at the distance she was at so she reached over to grab the clock and pulled it up to her face.

“Seven…. twenty.”

Rainbow exhaled a long tired sigh before placing the clock back on her nightstand. It was earlier than she would like for it to be, but her body was trained to wake up at a specific time, even when it was her day to relax. As much she would like to just sleep in until noon today, it was her day off after all, she had a special reason to get up early that day and it surprisingly didn’t involve the Wonderbolts. Well, at least not entirely. It took several minutes of tossing and turning before Rainbow found the energy to actually sit up. She threw her covers aside, immediately regretting that decision as the chill of winter robbed the house of some of its heat, and trudged her way towards her bathroom. Before starting her morning bath, she took out a small heat lamp she kept for Tank and placed next to him.

“It’s a bit cold, isn’t it buddy?”

The sleepy reptile merely nodded before retreating into his shell, content with the extra heat source. Rainbow drew her warm bath and crawled into the tub, savoring the soothing hot water that would be unbearable any other time of the year. Ever since becoming a Wonderbolt, her days always seemed to end with sore muscles and aching bones. The warmth of the water helped to relax the tenderness of those pains, information courtesy of Spitfire. Not only did it ease the tension, but it also felt invigorating with the winter in full swing.

She could’ve stayed in the bath forever if she wanted to, but with a date set for that day she drained the tub and stepped out and dried herself off with a towel before proceeding to brush her teeth. Once her mouth was clean of any morning breath, she walked down to her kitchen to prepare herself some breakfast, or at least what passed as a breakfast these days in her household. She decided to settle for a few apples as she really didn’t feel like filling up on a sandwich or anything similar. Heck, with how tired she was that morning she was doubtful she had the energy to make anything more. She did however decide to brew some tea which didn’t require a lot of kinetic energy.

As she poured a cup to drink, blowing the steam away to make sure she didn’t burn her tongue, she heard a knock at the door.

“Huh? Who could that be? Fluttershy maybe? Nah, what reason would she have to come here this early? Maybe Ditzy’s delivering mail early today or something.”

Rainbow stepped away from her cup of tea to go answer the door and to her surprise, the visitor was none other than Soarin’.

“Hey Rainbow Dash.”

“Soarin’? What are you doing here? It’s nowhere near lunchtime yet.”

“I know. There’s a large storm coming in later so I thought I’d drop by before it gets nasty. Have you eaten breakfast yet?”

“Only three apples, why?”

“Well, perhaps we can get something together. I’ll buy.”

Rainbow let Soarin’ into her home and shut the door; the house was cold enough already. “Sure I guess. I kinda just made a pot of tea, but I guess I can warm it later.” Soarin’ sat down at the table, helping himself to a cup of tea, as Rainbow Dash made her way to her bedroom closet to grab a scarf. As she was digging through her closet, Tank poked his head out from his shell, curious as to what was going on.

“I’m going out for awhile, Tank. You’ll watch over the place while I’m gone, right?”

Tank nodded and again retreated into his shell. When she picked out a scarf, she wrapped it around her neck and walked back downstairs to see Soarin’ observing the Wonderbolt paraphernalia on the wall, namely posters and autographs. On one shelf, the stallion eyed the gold crown from the Best Young Flyer competition and smiled from the memory of that event.

“What?” Rainbow asked.

“Hm? Oh nothing, it’s just that seeing this crown reminds me how I first met you. I remember when you performed that sonic rainboom and won the Best Young Flyer competition. You got to spend a day with the Wonderbolts and that’s I first got to talk to you.”

Rainbow couldn’t help but blush at the affectionate way Soarin’ said that to her. “Well, it was a pretty good day. This trophy is a reminder of some good times I’ve had with my friends too. Without them cheering me on, I don’t think I could’ve ever done what I did.”

“You have some pretty good friends.”

“Yeah…. I just wish could’ve been better to Twilight. Maybe then she wouldn’t be….”

Soarin’s smile faulted as Rainbow trailed off on her thought. “I’m sorry it had to-”

“Don’t worry about it. That happened over a year ago. I don’t like that it happened, but I need to get over it. No use dwelling on it.” Even though Rainbow Dash was putting up a tough front, Soarin’ knew well that she was still hurting pretty badly, although he did admire her strength for at least trying to move on.

“Look, why don’t we go get something to eat. I’ll even let you pick a place,” Soarin’ said trying to change the subject. “Besides, I don’t think I’ve ever had a chance to casually explore Ponyville.”

“Uh, yeah sure.”

The two ponies left the house of clouds and flew towards the town, Rainbow being thankful the cold weather was not added with strong wind yet. As they made their way into town, landing just outside the town square, Rainbow Dash thought of a good place to eat. She eventually settled on a diner that she frequented. Due to the bitter chill, the couple decided to eat inside rather than get a table outside; it would appear that the few ponies that were eating at the diner already had the same idea. After choosing a booth, they ordered some food from the menus.

“So how long have you lived here in Ponyville?” Soarin’ asked.

“Let’s see. I moved here maybe about a year or two before I met Twilight, so I wanna say five or six years now. It’s kind of funny, I moved here from Cloudsdale on the same day as my birthday so my birthday also marks the anniversaries I lived here.”

“A birth-iversary.”

“Haha, yeah something like that. What do you think of Ponyville though?”

“I think it’s a nice place to live. A lot more quiet than Cloudsdale or Canterlot. Ugh, I’m not going to lie, I can’t stand Canterlot right now. I can’t even stand visiting there recently with how unbearable the population has gotten as of late.”

“I haven’t really been there much aside from the Wonderbolt visits, but from what I’ve gathered from Rarity, I can see where you’re coming from.”

“Forgive my language, but the nobility are a bunch of dicks. I mean, no offense to your friend. I know there are some decent citizens like Rarity and Fancy Pants, but my point still stands. The nobility there is comparable to parasites. It’s just getting ridiculous.”

“Yeah, ever since what happened between Twilight and Princess Celestia, they’ve been trying to bulldoze over the princess. I don’t really like what Princess Celestia did to Twilight, but I don’t envy her predicament right now.”

“Maybe one of these days…. Anyway, speaking of Twilight Sparkle, I’ve noticed you tend to bring her up a lot. She must’ve been a really good friend for how much you talk about her.”

Rainbow stopped sipping from her water glass and hesitated before responding. “Yeah. She really was. Her…. passing has made me realize just how great she was. She’s done so much for all of us. That said, there have been times where she’s gotten on my nerves. Still, she did get me hooked on Daring Do. Heh, I remember that one time she obsessed over a late friendship report. If only you would’ve seen how disheveled she was….” Rainbow’s smile suddenly faltered and gained a look of regret. “Come to think of it, that was another time we overlooked her problems. We didn’t take it very seriously, but she almost made the whole town go crazy over a little doll.”

Recognizing the forlorn expression on his date’s face, Soarin’ cursed himself for bringing the topic up. He was about to try and reach for her, to comfort her, when Rainbow spoke up again. “Twilight is what brought us all together in the first place and now that she’s gone, everypony else seems to be drifting apart. Applejack is working more than ever, Rarity is living in Canterlot, Pinkie Pie is too quiet now, and Fluttershy…. I barely see her in town anymore. And now that I’m in the Wonderbolts, I’m barely in Ponyville myself and with everypony else either too busy or gone themselves, I almost think it’s not worth dropping by anymore. I probably wouldn’t either if not for one particular filly.”

The two talked a little more before the waitress came by with the food they ordered and for the most part, Rainbow tried her best to be content for Soarin’, who himself tried his best to restrain from bringing up any more saddening topics. Eventually, the two finished eating and with not much else to do, Rainbow decided to give Soarin’ a tour of Ponyville. Half of it was thanks for the meal, but the other half of her didn’t want to leave his side yet. She knew eventually they would both have to return to the Wonderbolt Headquarters, but neither of them wanted to go yet.

A good many of ponies recognized Soarin’ as he walked through Ponyville with Rainbow Dash and a few mares that Rainbow knew giggled as they passed by. After a year of being in the Wonderbolts and being close to Soarin’, Rainbow’s relationship with him wasn’t much of a secret anymore and though she was embarrassed when they started dating, they were at a point now where Rainbow was willing to openly show him affection in public, though she didn’t do it often. Eventually, the couple came to the town square, the statue still standing as tall as the day it was erected albeit covered in a bit of snow.

“This is the monument Ponyville made in Twilight’s honor. She had many friends in Ponyville and there were many times she helped the town itself. The earliest I can think of was when Nightmare Moon showed up. Then she participated in her first Winter Wrap Up not long after she moved here. Of course, it didn’t turn out so well at first, but she helped us in the end.”

“She’s done it all, hasn’t she?” Soarin’ said with a chuckle.

“Like I said, she was an amazing mare. Bit of an egghead, but that’s what we loved about her. Heck, she even lived in a library. A library that’s now empty…” Rainbow mumbled that last part so that Soarin’ wouldn’t hear her.

“This is a nice place. Though I can’t help but feel a little uneasy when the townsfolk keep gazing at me.”

“You’re a pretty famous Wonderbolt, Soarin’. You’re pretty easy to recognize.”

“That’s not what I meant. In a small town like this, everypony knows each other and they’re all tightly knit. In the big cities like Canterlot, Cloudsdale, or Manehattan, most ponies don’t pay attention to you unless you’re a celebrity.”

“Well, YOU’RE a celebrity, aren’t you?”

“Err, what I mean is just casually walking like we’re doing is- nevermind, I don’t know where I was going with that.”

Rainbow chuckled as she gave him a playful shove. Good, she seems to be cheering up a little bit, Soarin’ thought, happy to see a smile on Rainbow’s face. It was nearly noon when they decided to start heading for Rainbow’s home since the overcast indicated the winter storm drawing near. As they traveled their route, a certain orange filly noticed her idol walking by outside her house.

“Hey Rainbow Dash!”

The couple’s heads turned to see Scootaloo running towards them, Rainbow’s face with a smile on it. Upon seeing said smile, Soarin’s initial confusion melted into a similar expression.

“Hey squirt. What’s up?” Rainbow said as she gave Scootaloo a noogie.

“I’m glad to see you again. With you in the Wonderbolts, I was wondering when you would come back.”

“Aw, I always make time for my little sister.”

Scootaloo giggled and hopped around a bit before she noticed her surrogate big sister wasn’t alone. She saw Soarin’ and instantly recognized him. “Oh my gosh! You’re one of the Wonderbolt captains!”

“Well, kind of. I’m Captain Spitfire’s wingpony,” Soarin’ said as he chuckled at the filly’s antics.

“I’m actually talking to a Wonderbolt!” Scootaloo squealed. Rainbow joined Soarin’ in chuckling, Scootaloo reminding her of herself whenever she had the chance to talk to the Wonderbolts.

“Say squirt. How has your flying been going?” Rainbow brought up.

“Huh? Oh! Uh, it’s okay. I’m having some trouble though, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.”

From Scootaloo’s house, a mare looked out. “Scootaloo! Lunch is ready!”

“Okay mom! I’ll be right there! Rainbow Dash, I have to go. Maybe we can talk another time,” Scootaloo said as she galloped inside her house. The couple then continued onto their way back to Rainbow’s house.

“She was interesting.”

“Yeah, that was Scootaloo. Sort of a little sister. Not my real sister, but pretty close.”

“Well, she seems like a nice sister to have. I kind of like her. Real lively, kind of like somepony else I know,” Soarin’ said as he snuck a peck on Rainbow’s cheek.

“Y-yeah, she is a lot of fun. Kind of has a hard time flying though. I want to help her learn, but I’m not sure how often I can now that I’m in the Wonderbolts.”

“Well, if you ever need an assistant coach, I’d be happy to oblige.” Soarin’ felt a cold speck on his nose, soon followed by several more all around him. He looked up and saw it was starting to snow. “Maybe we should hightail it back to your house, I would rather not get caught out here with this weather.”

“Yeah, that’s probably a good idea. I have a warm couch calling our names.”

Being careful not to get caught in the sudden winds, the pegasi eventually made it back to the cloud house that was Rainbow Dash’s residence. Once inside, Rainbow tossed her scarf on the table and laid down on the sofa. As she did though, a sudden realization struck her.

“By the way, Soarin’. How did you find my house in the first place? I don’t recall ever giving you directions and you said you’ve never casually visited Ponyville before today.”

“Well, your house is the only one floating in the sky. Kind of hard to miss, especially with the Wonderbolt doormat.”

“Oh.” Rainbow blushed out of embarrassment, only now realizing the silliness of her question. “Yeah, I guess that was kind of obvious.”

“Don’t worry about it. Though a house of clouds is neat, they suck at keeping heat in when you need it,” Soarin’ said shivering from the cold.

“Well, I can think of a way to keep both of us warm,” Rainbow grinned slyly. Soarin’ quickly caught on to her and grinned as well.

“Oh? Do tell.”

“Well, it’s not like you’re going anywhere with that storm outside.”


Where only a plain lawn used to be in the garden of Dazzle Citrine’s manson there now stood a wooden pavilion. Under the snow nopony could spot it, but the whole roof was silver-plated, partially out of boredom and partially to serve its owner’s grander plans. The walls of carved mahogany were pierced with many rectangular windows reaching from the ground almost to the lower rim of the roof and warm golden light illuminated the freshly fallen snow outside. Occasional snowflakes were still drifting through the air, but the weather pegasi who got paid more generously than they ever remembered in the past assured their benefactor the sky would be spotless by midnight.

Rarity’s eyes sparkled as she mingled among the hordes of guests chatting with each other, drinking and laughing. Not even the Grand Galloping Gala could challenge the beauty and poise of the gowns they were wearing and insurmountable glee spread through Rarity as she remembered just how many of them originated in her boutique. Moving from the dusty old Ponyville for the greater life opportunities of the capital was scaring her at first, but the longer she took the fruits of her decision, the more sure she was about its correctness.

Better yet, this time she felt for certain she wouldn’t look out of place. Her own gown glistened with expensive violet and golden silk and she used real golden thread for the embroideries and trimming. The whole dress was designed to look like it radiated from an enormous rhombus shaped sapphire on her chest. The gem itself shined with reflected light of hundreds of magical candles spread around the walls and on crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.

While the guests, colorful and talkative like tropical parrots, would manage to enrapture any lesser pony, the interior of the pavilion tried its very best to contest them in opulence. Nothing around signaled the building consisted of wood, as silken burgundy wallpaper covered the walls, complemented with heavy black curtains by each window. Only one section of the floor remained uncarpeted, signaling the nobility where to show their dancing skills, a huge clock hanging on the wall above.

Rarity, however, chose the opposite direction, feeling a bit thirsty from the dry air. While the firecrystals, extremely effective and luxurious form of heating, did an excellent job of shielding the space against the winter cold, adding their soft orange glow as a bonus value, Rarity assumed they could take a small break every now and then since the ponies generated enough of their own heat. As if on cue, the crystals dimmed and a small gust of wind flew through the pavilion, coming from a small ventilation window up high that Rarity hadn’t noticed before. That didn’t rid her of her predicament though at all.

After being interrupted in her journey several times with jovial greetings accompanied with flashy smile and exchanging few phrases with ponies she encountered on other occasions, Rarity finally reached the buffet section. The tables along the shorter wall of the pavilion were overflowing with delicateses, from truffle to exotic fruit, from candied cherries to soya sushi. Yet as tasty as everything looked, Rarity omitted the treats and strode directly to the centerpiece of the section - a marble fountain with champagne instead of water.

“Just what I needed!” she cheered to herself and levitated a flute glass into the stream. The sparkling fluid bend the light coming from nearby candle and created a golden light spot on the dress of nearby mare. She jumped back terrified something stained her gown, but Rarity moved the glass so the spot would follow. After few more seconds of her little game Rarity grew bored and opted for a sip from her glass instead. She cringed and moved it away from her lips.

“The visual side of the affair certainly overshadows the taste.”

“Is the champagne not to your liking, mademoiselle?” a calm and cultivated voice asked behind her. She turned her head and spotted a waiter, tall white unicorn in tuxido of the highest quality.

“Well, it seems to be too tart for me. I certainly didn’t mean it wasn’t meeting the standards of such fine event,” Rarity said in a heartbeat, not losing anything from her aura of sophistication.

“I wouldn’t trying to suggest you did, mademoiselle. I merely wished to offer you a different drink, perhaps some Trotkay. The vintage monsieur Dazzle Citrine stocked for today belongs to the sweeter ones and the light fruity aftertaste could certainly provide you with better enjoyment.”

“In that case, if you would be so kind…” Rarity levitated her half-full glass to the tray the waiter was carrying and he left with a bow to retrieve her beverage of choice. Rarity leaned against the table and waited patiently, scanning the room for familiar faces. While she spotted several, she didn’t feel any urge to go talk to them.

“Enjoying the little delights our host offered, I see.” Rarity straightened in her startled state and turned around to come face to face with Fancy Pants, his everlasting thin amused smile adorning his face. “My, does somepony around here have dirty conscience that they are so jumpy?”

“I would like to see you react calmly to somepony sneaking on you like that!” Rarity said indignantly, but went for a quick hug of her closest friend in the city anyway.

“That can easily happen, my dear. Living with Fleur trained me into incredible levels of stoicism. I would have ended up with a heart attack ages ago.” They separated and he helped himself to a sandwich. “So, are you enjoying the evening?”

“Very. And if by small delights you mean this hall of wonder, then yes, I try to take everything in and still can’t manage. How generous from Dazzle Citrin to provide this all to please his friends!” Rarity took the glass the waiter brought her and sipped from it daintily. “Much better. Thank you.” The waiter raised an eyebrow on Fancy Pants, silently asking if he needed anything, and Fancy Pants only shook his head.

“It truly is a sight to behold.” He waved his hoof around, encompassing the whole room in his gesture. “But don’t be mistaken. He didn’t do any of this to please anypony but himself.”

“How can you say something so mean?” Rarity threw him a stink eye and took another sip. “Why would he expend so much money then? He could have had just a quiet celebration with his family. Instead, he chose to invite all of us to this grandiose party. I say, that’s admirable.”

Fancy Pants placed the rest of his sandwich on the rim of the tray and his smile vanished. “You said it yourself. He could have spent the holiday with his family. But have you seen any of them around?” Rarity drew blank and stayed quiet and so he continued. “Of course not! Do you know why? He can’t stand his wife and she chooses to attend different events than him so she can gossip about him freely. And by some glitch of fate, all three of his offsprings are earth ponies.” He looked longingly on the fountain and sighed. “Sometimes I wish I didn’t abstain, Canterlot would become much more bearable.”

“What’s that for a reason? Why would it matter what race they are! And even if he didn’t want to spend the holiday with family, he could still omit the party.” Rarity was getting fairly agitated from Fancy Pants’ words. Why would the usually kind and welcoming gentlecolt badmouth somepony obviously so generous like Dazzle Citrin?

“I thought you noticed it mattered in Canterlot now. As for the party, all you see, all he paid for, is here only to show us just how much he can afford. This is his way of saying that he has to be counted with. In that regard he succeeded.”

Rarity didn’t know what to say. She trusted Fancy Pants, he had always had only the best intentions with her, why would he suddenly lie. Yet changing her understanding of the event so abruptly? That proved too hard for her at the moment. She reached for a glass carried by another waiter, again a unicorn, and downed it quickly.

Seeing his friend’s distress, Fancy Pants sighed again, plastered his usual smile on his face and offered Rarity his hoof. “But let’s not ruin this evening for ourselves with everyday worries. Would you care for a dance?”

“Wouldn’t Fleur object to you asking another mare to dance?” Rarity asked coquettishly, trying to overcome her disturbed emotions.

“Oh she is probably currently flirting with a group of dandys somewhere in the room. I am sure she wouldn’t mind me having some fun as well.” He leaned closer to her ear and in a conspiratorial whisper continued, “Besides, what is the chance an old stallion like me would seduce a beauty of Rarity’s format?”

Rarity giggled and blushed a little, taking the offered hoof and walking by Fancy’s side toward the opposite end of the room. Along the way, she was paying close attention to all attendants and slowly realized they were in fact all unicorns. It may have been just a coincidence though, she had better things to care about. The event itself for example.

They arrived at the dance floor and the surrounding pair immediately made space for them. They both belonged to the more recognised part of the community, even though Rarity moved to Canterlot so recently. Good friends simply always meant good name. Among the pirouettes and step sequences Rarity glanced to the musician stage quickly and to her surprise found that all the musicians also belonged to unicorn race.

She soon regretted looking in that direction. Her growing confusion, slight inebriety and lapse in attention caused her to trip and hiss in pain.

“Are you alright, dear?” Fancy Pants immediately came to her help and supported her while standing up.

“Yes, it’s nothing. In a minute I will be like new,” Rarity said, but the look of pain spoke otherwise.

“Let’s move to the side for a while. You need to rest.” Not waiting for approval Fancy Pants led her to the nearest sofa and helped her up. “Do you want me to bring you something to drink? Or maybe to get some medical pony to check your ankle?”

“No, thanks, it is no big deal. I will just lay for a moment.”

“My, I hope you aren’t injured, monami!” an affected voice came from behind them. Surely enough, the host of the party himself graced them with his presence. In a glittery red tuxedo and a white tophat he counted to the more eccentric attendants, yet there were still many surpassing him.

“Monsieur Dazzle Citrin! You don’t have to worry, I merely slipped and will be alright in a few minutes,” Rarity assured with a wide smile.

“I am glad to hear that. Nothing would make me sadder than seeing my dear unicorn friends hurt.”

“You could drop that unicorn part, Citrin. It is redundant as everypony around is a unicorn,” Fancy Pants entered the conversation. To Rarity his irritation was clear from his voice, yet Dazzle Citrin seemed oblivious to it as he flashed them a victorious smile.

“You noticed? Splendid! you have no idea how difficult it was to contract so much unicorn staff. I had to ask permission from the crown to borrow some of their servants!

“And why exactly would you go into such lengths? Fancy Pants asked, looking at Rarity inquisitively, judging her reaction.

“I just don’t believe the other races would perform as excellently as unicorns. Anything for my guests, the best must be delivered!”

“How considerate of you,” Rarity chimed in and earned a withering glare from Fancy Pants.

“So,” he turned to Dazzle Citrin and didn’t even try to hide his frown, “are you implying that other races are inferior? What about your foal then? They are earth ponies, after all.”

Dazzle Citrin’s smile vanished in a blink of an eye. “If you came just to be annoying and pick fights, Fancy Pants, you can just as well leave. Your attitude and venomous words are not welcomed.”

“I came only because I received invitation and it is impolite to decline. But I will gladly leave your company, no doubt about that.” He turned back to Rarity. “Fleur and I will continue with a private celebration at home. Will you join us, Rarity?”

She was taken aback by the sudden exchange and twist in the mood. Fancy Pants acted like an uncouth youth all of the sudden, at least in her opinion. What led him to verbally assault their host? There was only one proper way to do.

“I’m sorry, I think I will stay around for a little while longer. Enjoy your evening though.” She flashed him a quick smile, but it faltered at the disappointed look she received back.

“You too, Rarity.” He turned around and walked into the crowd to find Fleur and leave.

“Good choice, darling. You would miss on a great finale of the evening and waste your time in improper company as well. Don’t forget to come out in about two hours. But it will be announced anyway, so don’t worry. Until then!”

No matter how much she tried to change it, Rarity’s evening was ruined. Her ankle stopped hurting quickly, but the argument she witnessed and the disapproval from Fancy Pants weighted her heavily. She continued to move around the pavilion, chatting occasionally and making new contacts and future customers, but it all lacked luster for her.

Eventually, the clock above the dancefloor started striking. When she looked up, she noticed it was only five minutes to midnight. Then the waiters instructed them all to gather outside and all the guests obeyed in a fairly civilized manner. If such request was made in Ponyville, the pavilion wouldn’t remain standing.

The crowd of guests gathered around a small podium in the garden. None of them suffered from cold as even this area was sheltered with firecrystals. Only the podium was lit though and soon they found out why as Dazzle Citrin walked up and greeted them with a wide wave, wobbling slightly from side to side. Somepony obviously drank more than he should have and in the gathering he wasn’t the only one in such predicament.

“My lovely unicorn friends! You can’t even start to understand how pleased I am that you all decided to attend this humble celebration.” He paused to let the polite chuckles die down. “Surely you wonder why I chose to start with organizing such events on this particular year as I have never been one to host, not of lack of hospitality, mind you, just fear of such great reśponsibility as to please all of you with only the best.”

A short applause followed his words and he bowed in all directions, entirely too much for how brief the praise was. “Thank you for your kindness, my dear unicorn friends. I had a very good reason to overcome my fears though as this isn’t just celebration of the New Year, but a whole new era! In few short minutes the laws passed by our beloved princess will come in force and unicorn race will finally take its leading place it always deserved!”

Much bigger applause overtook the gathering. The laws concerning the Dominion had been the main topic of conversation around the city for several months. On the New Year the unicorn participation on rule would become reality. Of course, officially the law spoke about nobles, but since unicorns formed about eighty percent of that class, they didn’t bother with such particularities.

Rarity was starting to feel uneasy. Could it be that Fancy Pants spoke the absolute truth about Dazzle Citrin? Could this whole beautiful event be a rotten racist celebration inside?

“And so, allow me to raise the glass in a toast to the bright future, brand new rule and unicorn race!” Crystal glasses filled with champagne, most likely ten times more costly than the kind in the fountain appear in the air in front of every guest. They didn’t fall down as the waiters kept their grip on them until the guest took over. “Count with me, my dear unicorn friends! Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! To the Year of the Unicorn!”

The whole gathering broke in cheers and repeated the toast as the first fireworks were shot up into the now clear sky. Rarity was getting dizzy. Not only from the commotion around, not just from the alcohol she consumed, but from the realization of just what she chose to be part of. She avoided an embrace from a random guest and sneaked between the others, running toward the gate of the garden as quickly as she could in her complicated gown.

So foolish! So naive! So blind! Suddenly all the hints of the evening and the previous weeks connected and she saw clearly where her path would lead if this didn’t happen. In few short months she adapted in Canterlot so well that nopony could distinguish her from the natives. She changed on the inside as well. Shallow, petty, gossiping excuse of herself. Celestia damn it, she was even forgetting her roots!

She galloped through the streets, her mind set on only one possible destination. Soon she arrived and was about to knock, when sudden hesitation overtook her. Was she still welcomed? What would she say? Did she lose another friend?

She steeled herself eventually and tentatively knocked, the lightest of touches on the door as not to disturb the residents. It felt like hours went by before hoofsteps sounded from the other side and the door opened revealing smiling Fancy Pants.

“Good evening, Rarity,” he said simply yet warmly.

She drew a deep breath and blurted, “I’m so so so sorry!”

“It’s ok. No harm was done,” he answered and his smile widened. “Would you like to come in? We have cookies.”

She flung herself around his neck, a feat admirable in her constricting gown and buried her face in his neck. Soon his coat and robe were damp with her tears. He patted her head with a foreleg and allowed her cry for a while.

“Everypony can make a mistake, Rarity. You realized yours quickly enough and that’s what matters. Now really, come in or you will catch a cold. That would be a horrible way to start new year.”


“Hello? Father Admiration?” Twilight called out as she entered the citadel sanctum. The chamber was identical to Mother Dogma’s chamber, but it was much smaller in scale. Instead of a pool in the middle of the chamber, there was a mirrored floor that reflected the light of the white sun anchored to the ceiling. The walls and floor had subtle motif engravings of the night sky, primarily crescents and constellations. Many of the balconies that surrounded the large rotunda were decorated with small bells and the balconies themselves were made of glass prisms that refracted the light from the white sun and spread the rays in all directions, leaving little to no shadows in the entire chamber.

“Twilight Sparkle, my dear,” a voice called out from above. “I did not expect you this early in the morn.”

The voice belonged to a rather gangly angel that descended from one of the balconies. He didn’t look too different from many of the other angelic ponies that Twilight had seen, but his uniqueness was definitely noticeable. For one, he had a large vertical halo which was a thick golden ring decorated with large jingle bells that resounded as he moved. His robes were decorated with the same bells. This pony was definitely old, not just physically, but he spoke in an old archaic Equestrian dialect, similar to what Luna spoke when she first arrived back in Equestria. Perhaps most distinct about him was his facial features, namely his large beard and wrinkly skin.

“Good morning, Father Admiration,” Twilight said with a respectful bow.

“Please rise Twilight Sparkle, we’ve not the need for such formalities this day,” Father Admiration said in a jolly expression. “I’ve callest thou so that we might learn of one’s knowledge.”

Twilight wasn’t quite sure she understood his words. Not just from the confusing wording, but the cryptic words themselves as well. This didn’t surprise her though as during her early days of training with Father Admiration, she learned quickly that he often spoke in riddles, never directly answering her questions, but instead giving her the wherewithal to answer them herself.

“Tell me, my dear. For what purpose does a spell serve if it is in an unusable state? The ability to perform feats of greatness can be taken with a simple slip of the tongue,” Father Admiration closed his eyes for a brief second and cleared his throat. “A sense of duty overtakes the minds of many, yet a sense of pride poisons the actions…”

Wait a minute, this sounds familiar. Didn’t I hear this in…. Twilight cleared her own throat before speaking herself. “So too is the intent….”

“An intellect is a salt of the Earth, yet lethal is the concentration….”

“So too is the lack of wisdom that backs it….”

“Hearing the cries of agony, yet one’s own pain is the eye of the storm….”

“So too is one’s own grief….”

“The words that use to create….”

“Shall also be used to negate.”

Upon finishing the recital, the light from the white sun at the center of the ceiling faded and the room was now dark and when Twilight looked around, she saw several stars and galaxies, as if she were floating in outer space. The same white sun that once lit the room now looked like a distant star light-years away. The engravings in the walls and floor were now more obvious as they reflected the light from the distant star clusters.

“You can recite the spell, so I assume thou knowest the origin,” Father Admiration said with a satisfied smile.

Twilight turned around from her observing of the new surroundings and looked at the tall angel’s face. Upon closer inspection, she noticed his face did look quite familiar. It was a face that bared resemblance to another face she’d seen before in her studies, but she just couldn’t figure out what the resemblance was exactly.

“It’s a famous spell created and used by Star Swirl the Bearded during the Great Wars. From what I heard and read, it was a spell that could cancel even the strongest magic, even those not used by unicorns. It’s legendary among magic scholars because nopony was able to replicate it. Many reproduction spells were created to try and emulate it, but nothing even came close to the effectiveness the original creation had.”

“One certainly knows their subject well. Tell me, my dear. What wouldst thou say if ye were able to perform this spell on a whim?”

“You mean like Star Swirl did? But how can I ever do that? He was one of the most powerful unicorns that ever lived and probably had decades of experience. I’m just a student…. former student of magic. I’m not even midway through my twenties yet! Besides, even though I have a lot of magic ability, if those other unicorn scholars couldn’t perform it, I’m doubtful my attempts would be any more successful.”

“Ah, but thou has one quality they did not: You are an alicorn. Not even Star Swirl could boast that.”

“But I never had the chance to study any magic SINCE I became one. Well, aside from your teachings I mean.”

Father Admiration lightly chuckled and lit his horn, expelling a wave of light that shattered the outer space and returned the room to its original appearance. “Lift thine eyes, my dear. Thou can learn much in this place and I would happily lend my knowledge. I’ve much to offer and you’ve much to learn. From one to another, another to one. A mark of one's destiny singled out alone, fulfilled.”

Twilight’s eyes widened when she heard that last sentence. Something struck her mind as she was starting to come to a realization. “From all of us together, together we are friends....” Father Admiration held his hoof out, which Twilight reached out to touch with her own. “With the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end.” It was now that all the details about her new teacher came together. The beard, the bells, the spells, there was little doubt in her mind that she was talking to one of the most famous figures in history. It just couldn’t be anypony else!

“Thou have the look of excitement across your features. Tell me, my dear. To what thought do you withhold your enthusiasm?”

“Oh! Uh well, I was just wondering. Did you by any chance know any other important spells?” Twilight said with an eager smile, trying her best to contain herself.

“Hoho, of course my dear! I know many spells from my day. In fact, it was I who pioneered the spells to control celestial bodies with more ease than the old ages. And yet….” Father Admiration’s jolly expression faltered to a more frustrated one. “I was not properly credited for it. The spell is more known among the Equestrian monarchy nowadays. I would not fuss over it were it not for the attention it brings. Moving the sun by oneself is not a mundane event.”

“You mean…. Celestia stole your spell? Well, I wouldn’t put it past her.”

“Not stole per se, more so recreated. Whether or not she thinks about this escapes me. Still, I’ve learned to swallow my discontent. Nothing good comes from jealousy. Although….” Father Admiration placed his hoof on Twilight’s horn as if examining it. “If I were to teach you the spell, perhaps you could pass it on to another or two. I will assume you plan on cleaning up Equestria, am I wrong? I know you will use the many spells I teach you in good will.”


In the crowded halls of government quarter of Canterlot Castle nopony paid any mind to just another passing unicorn. The once calm and collected section was overflowing with life ever since the Dominion was reestablished, since when you hire a bureaucrat, they will certainly bring a dozen more to aid them.

Fancy Pants wieved his path through the various secretaries, messengers and other support staff, paying close attention to every move as to avoid any collisions. He wouldn’t see it as too big of a problem if some of the ponies didn’t balance steaming mugs of coffee on their backs rather precariously.

Not caring about the offices of various Dominion members, he turned to a much quieter corridor decorated with white banners with symbol of the sun. Hardly anypony moved this way, at least at this point of day.

“How far did it go,” Fancy Pants mused as he reached high oaken double door with the same symbol as the banners. He knocked and entered without waiting, knowing the layout well.

“Hello and welcome to the seat of her highness Princess Celestia. She is busy at the moment, but I can easily schedule your request to the nearest court session,” Raven recited from behind a table by the window, not lifting her eyes from the paperwork.

Fancy Pants chuckled at how trained Celestia’s trusted assistant had become in her years of service, remembering her as a trembling bundle of nerves scared of messing up some random task all those years ago.

“I believe that won’t be necessary, Raven. I have a private audience scheduled and princess should be expecting me.”

Raven lifted her face from her work abruptly and gazed across the room in surprise. “Sir Fancy Pants! Oh of course! How could I forget that.” She rummaged through her papers and pulled out a notebook with the timetable of the day. “I’m sorry I didn’t realize it was you right away. As if that many ponies came by these days…”

“Is it that forlorn nowadays? The whole government section seems bustling with life,” Fancy Pants said as he walked to the table.

“You have no idea, sir Fancy Pants. The Dominion and their lockeys are content on their own and rarely come by unless they need a raise of funds or propose a law. The first option much more often than the second one.”

“At least you don’t have to deal with them too often. I am forced to meet them on daily basis.” They shared a chuckle and the mood of the room brightened a bit. “By the way, I told you many times to drop that sir.”

“I know, It is just that you cared about me almost like a father when I was beginning here. Old habits die hard.” She put the notebook away and placed her work in a orderly stack. Then she looked at Fancy Pants apologetically. “I’m afraid I wasn’t joking about princess being busy. Princess Luna dropped by unannounced and has been in for an hour now.”

“Don’t worry about it, Raven. I can easily wait. I don’t really have anything more important to attend to at the moment.”

“In that case, would you care for some tea or coffee? I was just about to boil some water anyway.” Raven jumped up from her seat and trotted toward another table by the wall where a kettle rested along with few cups.

“A tea, be so kind. One sugar and some milk please.”

Raven served him the requested beverage and sat down to her original place. “I am sorry, but I have a lot to deal with here. Would you find it too rude if I worked in your presence?”

“Not at all. I would hate to keep you from your duties. Would you like some assistance though?”

“You are kind, but no thanks. It’s just routine and I have my system.”

They settled down in a comfortable silence, occasionally sipping on their tea, waiting patiently for the royal sisters finishing their debated. They were notified of that by a stomping on the other side of the door right before it flew open, seething Luna walking out. Both Fancy Pants and Raven gave a slight nod to her as the door slammed shut again.

“Good morning, Princess Luna. How are you this fine morning?” Fancy Pants asked with a genuine smile upon seeing her.

“As good as it can get when dealing with my sister. Did she stop using her head before I returned, or is it a new quirk?”

“Our beloved sun is not very receptive today I take it?”

Luna scoffed and flapped her wings in agitation. “If only. Our beloved sun seems eclipsed and not by moon this time. Not just today either, dear Fancy Pants. If you are about to see her, prepare to have your mood ruined.”

“I am well prepared, thank you for the warning.” They exchanged another bow and headed to their respective doors, Luna out and Fancy Pants in. “As if I didn’t notice her eclipse,” he muttered before he knocked, this time waiting for being allowed in.

The handle glowed in golden aura and the door flew open again. “What?! I thought you were done yelling at me for today!”

Fancy Pants shrugged, not allowing the volume or the sharpness of the remark to break his mental balance, and stepped inside, closing the door gently with his own magic. “I certainly didn’t come to yell at you, your highness.”

Celestia dropped her ire in an instant, plastering a fake welcoming smile on her face instead. “Fancy Pants! What a pleasant change. Come in, take a seat. Would you like something to drink?”

“No, thank you. Raven already provided me with some excellent tea.” He took the indicated place at the other side of table from Celestia and made himself comfortable. Celestia bit her lip, realizing she drifted off schedule.

“Please excuse the delay. Luna gets these fits from time to time. Wish she understood the situation better. This way I only exchanged one hound for another.”

“She looked very upset when she was leaving,” Fancy Pants pointed out, reading Celestia’s expression carefully.

“She was. It is not the first time, we have been repeating this about once a week as of late. No need to get concerned, I assure you. She will come by tomorrow.” Celestia summoned a cup of coffee for herself and put tremendous amount of sugar inside. “Now then, what can I do for you, dear Fancy Pants?”

“You may not like the topic, but I came to discuss the Dominion with you.” As expected, Celestia dropped her smile.

“Et tu? I thought you didn’t care for the organization. Besides, it seems to fulfill my expectations completely. The nobles are playing with their new positions and allowing me to rule in peace.”

“I don’t care for the Dominion at all. You know well that I have never been powerhungry. But the rest of the citizens doesn’t share my opinion. They feel threatened.”

Celestia leaned forward with intrigue. “Pray tell, what are they feeling threatened by? The Dominion holds very little political power and with how they are bickering among themselves and what machinery of bureaucrats they built, they can’t use even that snippet.”

“Does the public know that?” Fancy pants put his elbows on the table and placed his chin on his forehooves. “Apart from the growing apparatus, that is. It is another problem actually, since it is fully funded by the crown.”

“I would expect the ponies rejoicing about new workplaces in these trying times. Those positions pay well as far as I am aware.”

“They would be, if they could get employed in those positions!” Fancy Pants raised his voice a little, his agitation growing every second. “Your highness, have you seen the composition of the Dominion employees? They are all unicorns! Such blatant discrimination only angers the public further.”

“Watch your temper, Fancy Pants. You are close friend, but even you should respect etiquette! Besides, the interviews are handled by employees of the crown, not by Dominion. Rest assured no discrimination takes place in this castle.”

“Because etiquette is the greatest problem at the moment,” he muttered, not daring to insult the princess so directly. Instead, he straightened and regained his composure fully. “Have you checked the lower levels? The required qualification? Schools? Other conditions?” That made Celestia pause, but Fancy Pants was not done yet. “Even if everything was done exactly by the book, it wouldn’t change how other races view the situation. Unicorns-”

“Nobles,” Celestia stepped into his speech, but he raised a hoof to stop her protest.

“Let’s be frank to each other, shall we? Unicorns received a privileged position while others didn’t. They are also making it known in every corner of the land, acting like they own the place. How long do you think the other races will tolerate such insolent behavior?”

“So what do you want me to do, Fancy Pants? Fire all the employees? Disband the Dominion? I can’t change my decision at the slightest hint of somepony being discontented. The laws aren’t theater posters to change every month.” Celestia was losing her patience. First Luna criticized her way of governing, now Fancy Pants tried the same. But did they rule the country for a thousand years on their own? No. So what gave them the right to judge her actions?

“It’s too late for that, your highness. If you want to keep peace and restore balance among your subjects, you have to grant them the same power unicorns received.” Fancy Pants decided to ignore the anger showing on Celestia’s face. He didn’t need the royal favor. All he needed was a just royal above him. “Form another similar councils for other races, or if you insist, then other classes!”

“But that’s where you are wrong, Fancy Pants!” Celestia exclaimed triumphantly, seizing one victory she could. “I didn’t form any councils. The Dominion existed before, I just assembled it again. If I created new ones, unicorns would only demand more power and soon the crown would lose its position whatsoever.”

“So you are just going to sit and watch them roaming around with their noses up in the clouds?” Fancy Pants countered, not hiding his emotions anymore.

“It would seem so. And once again I ask you to watch your temper or leave. I will not tolerate this.”

To her surprise Fancy Pants got up from the seat and bowed curtly. “Very well, your highness.” He spit the last word with such contempt that Celestia recoiled. She had known Fancy Pants for a long time and seeing him in such aggravated state didn’t match her experience at all. “Do as you wish, but mark my words that this decision will come to haunt you.”

“Maybe,” Celestia called after the retreating stallion, “maybe not. If it happens, I will deal with it. It won’t be the first time I put the nobles to their place.”

“What about putting the whole nation to their place, princess?” Fancy Pants called back, not afraid to express himself now that his demand was rejected anyway. “Don’t expect to see me at the Gala again. Maybe if Twilight Velvet were still your advisor, your eyes wouldn’t be blind.”

Once he was gone, Celestia alone rose from her seat and walked to the door. Raven looked slightly shaken, probably having overheard the conversation, or at least the shouted part.

“Cancel all remaining meetings, Raven. I have had enough of demanding smart-talking ponies for one day already.”


“There you are, Rarity!” Fluttershy exclaimed, although her gentle voice was still barely audible over the commotion of the train station. She took off and glided over the heads of the crowd, rather than trying to sneak among them. She landed gracefully few yards from Rarity and galloped the rest of the way, throwing her hooves around her friend’s neck immediately. “I was afraid I wouldn’t find you.”

“That’s exactly why I chose, or rather, created this hut, darling,” Rarity said returning the hug with one hoof and pointing to her extravagant headgear with the other. The pink and yellow contraption with multicolored butterflies and flowers certainly couldn’t be missed by anypony.

“I saw it right away when I disembarked. It’s really pretty, Rarity. It kind of reminds me of… oh my!” Fluttershy blushed as she realized the similarity.

“Didn’t I tell you that I find your colors wonderful? I meant it, darling” They stepped apart and Rarity scrutinized her friend carefully. “Hm, let’s take a look at you. As beautiful as ever. How are you doing it?”

“Uhm… I don’t know… It just comes naturally, I guess,” Fluttershy crouched a little, getting a bit anxious from the attention and praise, although she was happy about it at the same time. Rarity spotted her friend’s beginning distress and decided to drop the topic. It would certainly come up later.

“Now, where is your luggage, darling?” she asked, looking around.

“Um, still in the cart, I wanted to find you first.” Fluttershy breathed out deeply in relief that the attention shifted from her for a moment and pointed to the back of the train.

“Let’s retrieve them then and find some gentlecolt to deliver them to my apartment!” Rarity said happily and started making her way through the crowd with such ease as if the platform was empty. Fluttershy quickly began losing on her and opted to fly once again to catch up. She landed next to Rarity just as she was gathering the last of Fluttershy’s suitcases marked with pink butterflies.

“We could carry them alone, Rarity. They aren’t heavy at all,” she pointed out and picked one up with her mouth to demonstrate. Rarity simply shook her head and took the suitcase from her with her magic.

“True, but carrying them around the city and into spa would get annoying quickly.” She waved at nearby standing bellhop and gave him a card with her address along with a generous amount of bits. Seeing the payment, the stallion saluted, gathered all the luggage in haste and started away promptly.

“Um, Rarity? Didn’t you say you would show me your apartment?” Fluttershy asked in confusion. The situation left her control sooner than she could get any and she was only slowly coming to terms with it.

“Of course I will, darling. But after such long journey you must be sore. Those trains are horribly uncomfortable, nothing like the carriages!” Rarity waved toward the train with disgust, as if pushing it away from herself. “So I reserved us an appointment in my favourite spa. I am sure you will love it. Come, it’s not too far.”

They set off to their journey and Fluttershy was taking in everything surrounding them with wide eyes. Even though she had visited Canterlot several times already, the sights took her breath again every time. Not to mention that the grandiosity and stylishness of both the city and its inhabitants seemed to have grown immensely since her last visit.

Though as her eyes drifted across the ponies, she couldn’t but notice something strange. They barely smiled, even less so when their looks met with Fluttershy’s. At such occasion they almost scowled and quickly turned away. Baffled a unnerved by such behavior Fluttershy caught up to Rarity and tapped her lightly with her wing.

“Um, Rarity? I am sorry, but why is everypony frowning at me like this? Did I do something wrong?” she asked meekly, looking down as to not draw more attention to herself.

Rarity’s mood dropped a few notches at the question and she made sure she walked directly next to her friend as she explained. “So you noticed that detail? I hoped you wouldn’t, but with somepony so keen on tiny things…” She pressed herself against Fluttershy for a second reassuringly and gave her a sad smile. “There is nothing wrong with you, darling. Rather with them. Canterlot is no longer very welcoming to tourists. Just keep closer, so they know you are with me, and everything will be alright.”

Indeed, the dirty glances stopped and the rest of the journey transpired without a hitch. When the spa came to sight, Rarity stopped and turned to Fluttershy. “Darling, just one thing. I don’t expect any trouble, but if a problem occurs, let me solve it, alright?”

The quarry didn’t make Fluttershy any less tensed, but she nodded and followed Rarity, even more closely than before. She stepped over the threshold of the opulent building of white marble with high columns in front of the entrance with a lot of trepidation, but to her surprise nopony showed any signs of hostility as they walked toward the counter.

“Welcome to Aurelia Spa! How can we serve you today?” a cheerful unicorn mare behind the counter chirped, flipping a big book open.

“Hello there, darling. There should be a treatment booked on the name Rarity.”

The receptionist perused the data in her book and soon returned to them with unfaltering smile. Rarity wondered if it didn’t become a convulsion rather than an expression by this point. “Of course. Miss Rarity, full spa and massage treatment for two. Do you want to start immediately, or will you wait for your guest? Oh and your maid can wait in the lounge if you so please.”

Both Rarity and Fluttershy froze, the pegasus trembling slightly. Rarity cleared her throat and turned fully to the receptionist, still keeping her face in check. “I believe you are mistaken. Dear Fluttershy is by no means my maid. Au contraire, she is my guest to the treatment. Therefore, we wish to start immediately.”

The receptionist dropped her pretense of pleasantness and closed the book sharply. “In that case, we might have a problem here. Our rules don’t allow servicing those like her.”

“What a nonsense are you saying!” Rarity mirrored the shift and allowed some venom to her voice. “I booked a treatment for two and it is only on me who I wish to bring!”

At this point, all ponies turned their attention to the exchange at the counter. The receptionist backed a little, intimidated by the ire of a noble unicorn in front of her, but she wouldn’t give up. “I am afraid that’s not how our establishment works, Miss! We specialize in servicing unicorn clientele. Either follow our rules, or I will have to ask you to leave!”

Rarity inhaled sharply and glared at the receptionist with fervor, making her shrink further. “Are you throwing me out?! Do you have any idea who you are talking to?” she said raising her voice above speaking volume.

“Rarity!” an exclamation came from the right and a golden furred unicorn mare trotted into the entrance hall from her office. “I haven’t seen you in ages, darling! Tell me how have you been? And what made you so upset? It’s not good for complexion.”

Rarity immediately perked up, entirely ignoring the receptionist who sensed what a blunder she may have caused and did her best to hide behind the counter, and trotted past the completely frightened and not comprehending Fluttershy to greet the incoming mare.

“Aurelia, it’s really been so long!” she exclaimed enthusiastically as they embraced and kissed the air around their ears. “It is just horrible how the work keeps us from socializing, wouldn’t you say?” Confident in her position now that she had a pony of equal standing to deal with, Rarity adopted a distraught expression. “But the personnel you hire! What an uncouth behavior! Would you believe that…thing dared to call my dear friend a maid and suggested that your establishment wouldn’t service her!” She sneaked a little smirk on her face and went for her final trump. “Just imagine how damaging that could be for the reputation!”

Aurelia paled a little, understanding fully how influential mare she was talking to, and trotted briskly to the counter. “Is it true? Did you try to bar Miss Rarity’s friend from our establishment?” she scolded and leaned over the counter.

The now entirely scared receptionist trembled uncontrollably, fearing loss of employment, but her honor wouldn’t let her run from a fight when she was in the right. “But the rules-” she attempted, but was loudly interrupted.

“-don’t apply to our premium guests! If you can’t recognize who is standing in front of you, you are completely worthless as a receptionist! Why, I should fire you on the spot!”

Fluttershy snapped from her shock at hearing such threat. Even though that unicorn treated her poorly and insulted her, she wouldn’t want misfortune to fall on somepony because of her. She simply had to fight for her. “Um, excuse me, l-lady Aurelia. I don’t think that will be necessary. She just tried to do her job. No harm was done after all…” She threw a pleading look at Rarity, who took the hint immediately.

“Really, Aurelia. Everypony can make a mistake. A warning should be enough, don’t you think? There is no need to be cruel.”

Aurelia glanced at her doubtfully, but seeing her reputation was saved anyway, opted for lenience. “Very well. You are lucky that Miss Rarity and Miss…”

“Um, Fluttershy.”

“...and Miss Fluttershy are so forgiving. Let this slip never happen again and usher our guest to their treatment pronto!” She smiled widely at Rarity and Fluttershy and gestured them to the other door of the room. “I believe everything will be to your liking from this point. We really should meet soon, Rarity. Until then, ta ta!”

The receptionist led them to the changing room where they received bathing robes of the softest cashmere and then to the area with herbal baths. “I am really sorry, Miss Rarity. I don’t have anything against other races. It’s just that the rules really state that policy and if I allowed you to enter right away, I would get fired!” she explained with a pleading look in her eyes. “Please don’t think of me as some monster. I hate this!”

“I expected so much, darling. Don’t worry about it, we do what we have to. And seeing that Fluttershy stood up for you, I would say she forgave you already. Is that right, darling?” Fluttershy nodded happily and the receptionist paid her back with relieved smile.

“Thank you. I should get back to the counter, so lady Aurelia isn’t too angry at me.”

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN’T IN?! A BUCKING PEGASUS JUST ENTERED!” a sudden shout came from the entrance hall.

“Or maybe I will wait a little bit longer.” She sat down by the door and waited for the situation to calm down.

“Is this a common occurrence, darling?” Rarity asked, slowly submerging in the herbal bath until only her head remained above the surface.

“SO BECAUSE SHE WAS WITH A UNICORN, RULES DON’T APPLY? BUCK THAT!”

“More than you would think,” the receptionist said with a sigh. “It is getting worse every day too. Both from the unicorns and from the other races.”

“Um, I don’t think racism has appeared in Ponyville. Ponies are still kind to each other,” Fluttershy offered, enjoying the soothing warmth of the water and the scent of herbs.

“YOU KNOW WHAT? IF YOU ARE SO MUCH BETTER, YOU CAN EAT YOUR BUCKING MAGIC! NO UNICORN WILL GET ANY PRODUCE SOLD BY MY COMPANY!”

“Then I certainly envy you, Fluttershy. Canterlot has been nothing but racism recently.”


Stepping out from Zecora’s house in the mid afternoon, Apple Bloom started her trek through a predetermined route across the Everfree Forest. Several weeks earlier after many visits to Zecora, Apple Bloom surprised herself when her zebra friend requested help with making a few potions. In the midst of it all Apple Bloom realized she had a knack for alchemy and upon aiding Zecora with a particular potion, she had earned her cutie mark: a silver apple with the symbol for Mercury. Since then, Zecora started mentoring her on different ways to use her newfound talent, as well as ways to safely traverse the Everfree Forest for materials.

Armed with the knowledge, Apple Bloom had no trouble going back and forth between the town and the forest, as she was doing now. Her saddlebags carried a new type of potion she was experimenting with, but didn’t feel safe testing in the dense forest, so she instead opted for a more open area just outside Ponyville. However, when she found a decently sized field in which to work, she discovered she had overlooked something on her checklist.

“Whoops, Ah forgot the seeds,” the yellow earth pony said with a facehoof. “Guess Ah gotta put mah project on hold for a bit.”

Apple Bloom continued into Ponyville market, making a mental note of where the field was as she entered, and thought of the kind of seeds she would need. She could’ve gone back to her home in Sweet Apple Acres and simply borrowed some seeds there, but she didn’t know how potent the potion would be and how many seeds she would burn through, so she didn’t really want to risk a shortage in her family’s business. Plus the market was much closer and therefore it was much quicker than running to home and back.

“Let’s see. I guess it really doesn’t matter what kind of seeds I use, but Zecora says it doesn’t hurt to experiment so maybe I can try some different kinds.” She eventually settled on three packets of seeds consisting of carrot, corn, and tomato. She handed the clerk the bits needed for each packet and placed them in her saddlebag right next to the bottle so she could find them easier. As she stepped away from the vendor, she bumped right into Sweetie Belle, who herself wasn’t paying attention to where she was walking, knocking both of them off their hooves.

“Ah! Sorry Sweetie Belle, didn’t mean to do that,” Apple Bloom said as she stood up and helped Sweetie to her feet.

“Don’t worry, I should’ve watched out myself. I was just looking for Scootaloo, she was supposed to meet me here earlier, but I can’t find her anywhere.”

“What are ya’ll doin’ here anyway?”

“Scootaloo wanted to get some new wheels for her scooter and I’m picking up some stuff for a cake I'm making.”

A cake? Ah pity the poor pony who has to eat that… Apple Bloom thought with a small wince before quickly transforming it into a smile. “Well, Ah just pick up somethin’ for mah latest potion.”

“Oooh, what it is?” Sweetie Belle said eagerly.

“Just a growth potion. Ah’m tryin’ ta’ see if Ah can make somethin’ that could help out with the family business. If Ah can make somethin’ that accelerates the growth of the apples, think of how much time and money we could save. I haven’t tested it though, so I’m gonna use these seeds first.”

“There you are!” a voice called out from a few feet away as Scootaloo trotted towards them. “I’ve been looking all over for you Sweetie Belle.”

“Well, I was looking for you.”

Scootaloo grunted in frustration and facehoofed. “I SAID to wait for me down by the cherry stand.”

“...Oh.” Sweetie blushed in embarrassment with a sheepish smile.

“Ugh, don’t worry about it. We’re here now, it’s not a big deal. By the way, hi Apple Bloom.”

“Hi. Did you find those those scooter wheels yet?”

“Wha? Oh, no I was looking for Sweetie Belle.”

“Well, Ah got a lot of time. How bout’ we walk round and catch up a bit? I haven’t seen you guys in awhile.”

The three fillies giggled and spent over an hour catching up and talking about their days. Scootaloo had earned her cutie mark a month earlier relating to athletic ability. The mark itself was a wheel with wings on it’s axel. She had also been taking flight lesson from Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ on the weekends and was improving as she could at least keep herself off the ground at low altitude. Sweetie Belle was the only one among them that did not have a cutie mark yet but that didn’t keep her from being involved with her close friends. With her older sister in Canterlot, she was living with her parents permanently and spent her free time pursuing a myriad of interests and hobbies. While she still liked to sing and often did whenever she worked, Sweetie Belle had taken up debate team discussing the issues that were surfacing in Equestria and her peers, Cheerilee especially, found her to be quite persuasive and would often bring up things that nopony else even thought about. Not only that, but she found herself enjoying this hobby quite a bit.

Alas, the cheerful stroll through town didn’t last. As they took a detour through the middle of town, they passed by a small outdoor restaurant where two certain fillies were conversing and drinking milkshakes.

“Well, well, well. Look who it is,” Diamond Tiara called out stopping the three friends in their tracks, each sporting an annoyed expression.

“Oh, great. Them again,” Apple Bloom mumbled to herself before letting out a sigh. “What do you want?”

“Oh nothing, I just wanted to ask little Sweetie Belle something.” From the way Diamond Tiara said that sentence, a cold feeling grew in Sweetie’s stomach. “Tell me, what’s it like being a blank flank AND a unicorn?” Diamond Tiara said using the word ‘unicorn’ as an insult.

“Wha-what?” Sweetie Belle ask with a quiver in her voice.

“Didn’t you hear? Unicorns aren’t very popular these days with the new law passed.”

Silver Spoon threw her friend a look of suspicious, though she didn’t notice. Where is she going with this?

“It must be a shame belonging to such a hated race. I mean, I can’t imagine your sister is doing anything to help that.”

Silver Spoon’s look of suspicion was now a look of disgust. She was about to call Diamond out on her behavior when Apple Bloom did it herself.

“You know what Diamond Tiara? Ah think ya outta rethink yer strategy. Ah ain’t gonna lie, Ah know Equestria’s got some issues brewin’ in it, but in case ya haven’t noticed, Sweetie Belle’s got friends of all races. One of these days, Ah hope you’ll learn how immature yer bein’ cuz ya really don’t have any skills sides’ bein’ a grade A rat.”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo stepped forward. “Trust me when I say this: No matter what you say, Sweetie Belle is better than you by a long shot. She has skills that are useful. She may not have her cutie mark yet, but she can do something. What does your mark mean anyway?”

Sweetie Belle smiled that her friends were sticking up for her which gave her the courage to stand her own ground. “Race has nothing to do with it, Diamond Tiara. You just sit around all day, showing off the mark on your big fat flank like it’s some kind of trophy. We actually get out and do things, pursuing hobbies, interests, and things that might be useful for the future. You ask me what it’s like to be a hated race? Let me ask you something: what have you done recently that others didn’t hate you for?”

Without waiting for an answer, Sweetie Belle trotted off triumphantly knowing Diamond Tiara would not be able to give a valid answer. A split second later, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo followed suit, leaving the two earth fillies behind, one dumbfounded and the other disappointed.

“She’s right, you know,” Silver Spoon flatly said, getting Diamond’s attention. “What exactly have you done recently besides trying to find ways to make them look bad?”

Diamond Tiara couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Was her best friend seriously siding with those girls? Wasn’t she supposed to stick up for her? She was unable to think of an appropriate response, so she answered the only way her pride knew how.

“Pfft! What does it matter? They only left because she didn’t want to be embarrassed by me. It doesn’t change the fact that she’s a unicorn without a cutie mark.”

Suddenly, Silver Spoon stomped her hooves on the table, knocking down the milkshakes and making a noise that caught the attention of the other patrons who were dining at the other tables nearby. “You know what, Diamond Tiara? Maybe you SHOULD rethink your strategy, your attitude also. It’s one thing to mock others for not having a cutie mark, but adding racism to the mix is going TOO far! Or did you forget that my MOTHER is a unicorn who is struggling recently because of the BUCKING stigma towards them? If you want my honest opinion, those girls are FAR more mature than you are right now. Do you know why? Because THEY didn’t let your insults get to them and even stood taller.”

Silver Spoon stormed away from the collection of tables from which the duo were dining. Diamond Tiara stood there for a second before running after her. “Wait! Where are you going?”

“Home! I’ve had it up to here with you today. First you push a UNICORN filly, in the mud and THEN you harass Sweetie Belle like this. I just!....” Silver sighed before throwing a dirty look towards her friend. “Look, I like you and all, but you have to adjust your attitude or you’ll end up being alone and hateful. What would your dad, an honorable businesspony, say if he saw you turning into this… this racist pig? You love him, right?”

Diamond Tiara gazed down at the ground, too conflicted to look into Silver’s eyes.

“I need some time to cool off and you need some time to think. If you’re ready to talk, come find me later, okay?”

Silver Spoon turned around and left for home and after a couple seconds, Diamond Tiara did the same thing. All through her trip home, Diamond Tiara’s brain replayed everything that had just happened against her will. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn’t piece together why her best, and so far only, friend would act this way. Since the Dominion laws passed, she’d noticed gradual changes in Silver Spoon’s behavior. Whereas Silver Spoon almost always agreed with her and went along with her shenanigans, she was becoming increasingly agitated whenever Diamond Tiara dissed the Cutie Mark Crusaders or talked about anything that had to do with nobility or money.

Surely it was something wrong with Silver Spoon, right? Silver’s family was just as rich as hers. Why would she ever want to concern herself with the “lower class”?

“Or did you forget that my MOTHER is a unicorn who is struggling recently because of the BUCKING stigma towards them?” That phrase just bugged her more than she ever thought it would. But why?


“General Blitzschlag has arrived, sir!” a young colt in the armor of Royal Guard announced from the door of fairly plain office inside the barracks. Apart from a table and few file cabinets by the walls the only furniture consisted of a weapon rack with several spears and a Royal Guard armor placed on the ground.

“Thank you, private. Allow him in,” a light green unicorn with golden mane called from behind his table. The guard nodded and left the room to fulfill the order. The unicorn shuffled restlessly, waiting for the other officer to enter. His arrival was signaled by the sharp sound of hooves hitting the stone ground in military rhythm.

“Captain Dart Chaser,” Blitzschlag said respectfully and saluted, promptly mirrored by Dart Chaser himself.

“If somepony told me few years ago that you would salute me one day, I would call them crazy. I’ll never get used to it, Blitz.”

“I share that sentiment, Chaser. Who would have guessed you would make it to captain of the Royal Guard,” Blitzschlag answered with a chuckle and shook hooves with the unicorn. “Though the name of that rank makes no sense at all.”

“Tell me about it. That’s what happens when civilians decide about military affairs!” They shared a short laugh, but both could feel how forced their merriment was. Dart Chaser gestured to the cushion by the table. “I didn’t call you to discuss names though. Take a seat, this shouldn’t be taken while standing.”

Blitzschlag took a seat, knowing from experience that his friend never joked about such matters. “So why did you send for me?”

“It’s happening, Blitzschlag. As we feared.”

“You mean…”

“Yes. They gathered on the Harmony Square and are now marching to the Castle,” Dart Chaser confirmed Blitzschlag’s fears. For quite some time the tension in Canterlot had been growing with each passing day. Unicorns were letting everypony know about their wealth and position and the others watched with growing disgust as the city turned hostile toward them. Everypony with a bit of common sense expected a clash sooner or later.

“Are they armed?” Blitzschlag asked with worry.

“Oh goodness no. They don’t even look like they want to cause any trouble at all, unless you count chanting bonmots. But that doesn’t really matter. The Dominion ordered the demonstration to be dispersed.”

“Damn those idiots! Don’t they see that it will make things only worse?” Blitzschlag stomped his hoof into the ground. “Little can be done though. Order is order, you have to do it. But that doesn’t explain why you wanted to talk to me.”

Dart Chaser sighed heavily and retrieved an envelope from the table. “Because it is you who will disperse them. The Dominion doesn’t want to just keep order. They want to turn this into a warning.”

“Wait wait wait! Demonstrations are under jurisdiction of Royal Guard, not the army. It is entirely your problem!”

“When a unit is stationed in Canterlot, it is under direct command of the captain of the Royal Guard, Blitzschlag. You know that,” Dart Chaser said with emphasis. “As an agency with seat in the Castle, the Dominion commands Royal Guard and they ordered all of us to protect the gate. You are the only other unit in the city at the moment.”

“You can’t be serious, Chaser!” Blitzschlag exclaimed as he jumped from his cushion. “Do you realize what you are doing? You are sending army against unarmed peaceful civilians! Are you completely crazy?!”

“Do you think I like doing this? Those bastards simply come and force their will on us. I can’t say no on my own and I can’t contact Celestia as she barely holds court anymore and doesn’t allow private audiences. If I refuse, I’m fired!”

“Then you should take that as a stallion and refuse!

“I have family, Blitzschlag. I can’t afford to lose the income. Besides, if you are so clever, why don’t you rebel yourself, huh?”

“I definitely will, Chaser,” Blitzschlag stated quietly, sitting down after his outburst. “I am not leading soldiers against innocent ponies. No matter the cost.”

Dart Chaser nodded forlornly and lifted the envelope. “I was afraid you would say that. Do you realize what it means though? They will discharge you immediately.”

“They won’t. I will go quit on my own right now.”

“Don’t do it, Blitz. You won’t achieve anything,” Dart Chaser warned with concern. “I will have to order one of your subordinates and they will follow through with it.”

Blitzschlag got up and straightened the cushion on which he sat. “It is not about achieving change. I couldn’t live with myself, Chaser. When nothing is left, we have to keep our honor.” He reached across the table and offered Dart Chaser a hoof to shook, which the unicorn quickly accepted. “All the best, Chaser. Try to stay true to yourself.”

“I will, Blitz,” he said as he saluted Blitzschlag sharply. “I hope to see you around though to keep me in line.”

“Don’t count on that, Chaser. I am pretty fed up with this city. Cloudsdale feels more like home.” He turned and began walking to the door. “Funny thing,” he said with a chuckle as he reached for the handle, “I disowned my own daughter to keep appearances in front of those jerks. With all her recklessness she is still a thousand times better than them. Do you know why? Because she at least did her dirty job on her own.”


“...and with strengthening the northern section we managed to push the demonstrants away from the gate and disperse the gathering altogether soon after.”

“Thank you, general Honor Eclipse, the Dominion is gracious for your actions while defending our safety and the safety of the Castle,” Dazzle Citrine clad in luxurious coat of purple satin and gold said, stressing out the rank of the soldier standing in front of the gathered Dominion members. “Did the demonstrants try to resist the acts meant to maintain public order?”

“Yes, sir. A portion of them used impromptu weapons to try and harm the soldiers.” He outstretched one of his rosy wings, now dressed in bandages. “I alone bear marks of their violent action. Five of the soldiers were moved to the infirmary with mostly light wounds.”

An agitated murmur filled the room, signaling the distaste shared by those present. Dazzle Citrine allowed them a while to relieve their emotions, before he stomped a few times to gain their attention again.

“Their pain will be properly compensated and their actions awarded a bravery medal. Thank you for your time, general, you may now return to your unit.” An applause sounded through the room as the wounded pegasus was leaving. Once he was gone, Citrine turned his attention to the most important pony in the room.

“As you can see, your highness, a dangerous mob formed today in the heart of your kingdom and if it weren’t for the brave actions of our soldiers,” he waved his hoof, encompassing the unicorns around, “and the vigilance of the Dominion, they might have broken into the Castle proper. They also proved that violence was not far from their heart.”

“By no means do I want to lessen the accomplishments of the Dominion or the army, but what proof do you have that the demonstrants actually meant any harm?” Celestia asked doubtfully, though a certain shock was apparent on her. “Their actions are fairly troubling and I am glad that you managed to prevent further damage, but couldn’t it be that the actions provoked them in the first place?”

“Even if they did, your highness, what does it say about them? They were given chance to leave peacefully and didn’t use it. We may have been lucky once, but where is any guarantee that such mob won’t form again, malicious from the start? Wide freedom toward your subject is certainly commendable and useful during the times of peace and contentment, but unbridled emotions may lead to a catastrophe.”

“A nationwide limitation of freedoms surely can’t be an answer to a random incident, Dazzle Citrine!”

“We are afraid that a random accident will turn into a nationwide threat, your highness!” Dazzle exclaimed theatrically and gestured over the full room. “If such mobs are allowed to roam free, we won’t be able to continue our trade. We have to keep in mind the safety of our employees.”

Celestia bowed her head in defeat. She couldn’t afford the nobles stopping supplying Equestria or the mobs would form everywhere for real. She took a deep breath and prepared to declare one of the most painful constitutions she ever passed.

“In that case, I have to agree, dear Dazzle Citrine. For too long have we been lenient. Since our subjects can’t tell good reasons from bad ones, the crown will from now on decide if a gathering is benign. This will apply to any group of ponies bigger than ten. The applications are to be passed to the daycourt supervisors.” The scribes immediately created several copies of the constitution. Sensing an advantage, Citrine decided to press on.

“It is also unlikely they gathered without an organizer. Various newspapers have been posting critique of the Dominion and spreading hatred among the ponies. In my humble opinion, such act equals the violence against the crown itself!” A roar of applause followed, his peers catching on what he intended already.

Celestia inhaled sharply, but noting Dazzle’s warning glare she chose against protesting. Few years ago she would hold a speech about the importance of freedoms. Few years ago, nopony would dare to even propose such outrageous idea. Equestria had changed. So instead preaching she nodded. “When hatred overtakes the hearts of ponies, our whole land it condemned to doom. From now on the newspaper articles are to be presented to the representatives of the crown for approval.” Door slammed loudly on the gallery, but the noise was drowned in another wave of thunderous applause.

“Now as the matter is settled, I thank you all for attending and bid you a pleasant day,” Celestia said as they calmed down. “We still have many royal affairs to attend to. We hope you will maintain your excellent work. We consider the Dominion very helpful in these trying times.” As she was leaving the room, Citrine was taking deep theatrical bows to all sides to the great amusement of the other Dominion members. They signalled clapping their hooves or waved them above their heads victoriously, but didn’t make a single sound until Celestia safely left the room.

She strolled the corridors of the government quarters, moving slowly and regaly to spread the image of royal greatness. Surprisingly, only a few ponies noticed her. They were too busy running around with the Dominion agenda to care about bystanders. She didn’t pay it much mind, being used to such situation for months at that point. Soon she arrived to the door of her office and went in, passing Raven without a word. As she sat down to her armchair and relaxed a bit, she closed her eyes and rubbed them with her hooves.

Suddenly a flash of blue light pierced through her eyelids and as she blinked furiously to regain sight a familiar voice came from her right.

“A commendable effort, although vain.”

“Luna,” Celestia sighed with relief that she wasn’t bothered by less sufferable pony. “How many times have I told you not to teleport in here?” she scolded in an amused manner, but Luna refused to share her merriment.

“Great many times, Tia. Do you have a minute?”

“That depends. What do you want to talk about?”

“The laws passed during today’s meeting of the Dominion, of course.” Luna didn’t wait for invitation and sat down by Celestia’s table.

“Couldn’t it wait?” Celestia sighed tiredly. “And how do you know about them? You weren’t present.”

“It is of utmost importance for Equestria. As for my presence, I was denied entry to the room, so I teleported to the gallery.” Luna crossed her forehooves and glared at her sister from her position in the other armchair in the room.

“I’m sure the capacity was simply filled when you arrived, Lulu. There is no reason to be upset.”

“I am your sister and co-ruler of this land, Tia! How can they bar me from attending such important meeting? Besides, I saw very well just how much space was left.”

“The guard by the door probably misjudged the situation. I will look into it that they are properly punished, ok?” Celestia offered, hoping to brush the unpleasant moment away quickly.

“I bet they had direct orders. But this is the least of the problems here, Tia. You passed some very important laws without consulting me.”

“Look, Luna. We talked about this already and I thought you understood that the laws are passed in the name of both of us.”

Luna smiled bitterly and leaned forward as if telling Celestia a great secret. “Oh no, sister. I am not angry about that this time and you won’t pin that crime of laws to my name!”

Celestia recoiled at the venom in Luna’s words. She had to defend her honor in that situation if she already lost so much before. “I am only trying to protect Equestria from more strife and suffering, Luna!”

“Do you really think that imposing censorship will maintain order in the land? Or that when ponies won’t be able to meet others, they won’t be discontent anymore?”

“If they can’t express themselves as civilized beings and attack Royal Guards, they have to be sheltered from themselves, Luna!” Celestia stated resolutely, slamming her hooves into the table. “We can’t allow them to bring harm to themselves or to others.”

“It wasn’t them who attacked!” Luna shouted and jumped up from her seat. “Not the Royal Guard, regular army marched into the streets and drew weapons against innocent ponies! Are you blind, or did the Dominion wash your brain?” She took several deep breaths to calm herself, Celestia too befuddled by the outburst to react. “I tried to stop them. They wouldn’t listen to me at all. Then they attacked…”

“I… was afraid it was so,” Celestia whispered, looking down on her hooves. “They are blackmailing me, Luna. If I don’t comply to their demands, they will starve the land and the violence will start for real.”

“They aren’t the only ones with funds, Tia. The crown can support ponies too. Just dissolve that damned Dominion and we can fix this mess without them.”

Luna’s urging bordering with pleading only caused Celestia more grief. “I can’t. That would mean abrogating a law without an apparent reason and the citizens would go into uproar. We have to find some other way.”

Luna got up from her place and walked to the window, gazing over Canterlot and further into the distance. Then she looked back at her sister. “You have to, Tia. I already did.” At the unspoken question she waved toward the cabinet filled with rolled parchments. “I should thank you for not mentioning me in the legislation. This way I am not bound by any official documents. Neither will be my subjects.”

“What your subjects are you talking about, Luna?” Celestia asked bewildered.

“Those who will choose my rule over yours once you publish today’s laws,” Luna said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “I have been toying with that thought for some time now and today helped me decide. I will rule my own domain since I have no part in the rule here.”

“But Luna! What nonsense are you talking about? We were meant to rule Equestria together!” She couldn’t believe her ears. Why would Luna turn her back on her? She was so befuddled that she couldn’t even form a coherent protest apart from her usual mantra.

“Yes, you told me that many times too. Though it never really applied, did it? So I got thinking. If we can’t rule one country together, we can maybe rule two countries on our own and still rule over Equestria together.” She chuckled, but her glare didn’t vanish. “In a sense.”

“But you don’t have enough experience to rule alone!”

“Maybe not, Tia, but you can’t say whether I am capable of ruling or not, right? There is no empirical evidence.” Luna looked dreamily to the ceiling. “I think they will like my rule. This time I will be kind to them, ruling for them. Not like thousand years ago…”

“Please stop being so snarky. We can talk about this idea of yours, ok? We will find some solution,” Celestia offered placatingly.

“There is little to talk about, Tia. I just wanted to inform you that plebiscites will be organized in the following weeks. This whole visit was more or less declaratory. I wish you luck with the Dominion and a good day too.” Luna charged her horn and teleported away. Celestia remained alone in the room again.

“Why does everypony think the worst of me?” she whispered and laid her head on her hooves. “Can’t they at least try to help me with all this? When did everypony become so… selfish?” She closed her eyes and tried to suppress tears. “I probably know how you felt Twilight. I am sorry.”


“Last time I checked, the clubhouse was down this way,” Silver Spoon said to nopony in particular as she pulled a small wagon with a single box. “I just hope they will give me a chance.”

It wasn’t too long ago that Silver Spoon discovered the clubhouse of the Cutie Mark Crusaders with Diamond Tiara when Babs Seed visited Ponyville. While she had some fun with her at the time, Silver Spoon now cringed at how she acted, especially in front of Apple Bloom’s cousin. First impressions are hard to break and she knew that neither she nor Diamond Tiara set a good example. I’m going to have to apologize to her too when I meet her again.

She approached the homestead of Sweet Apple Acres, Silver noticed a rather uneasy Applejack who seemed to be operating on autopilot as she loaded her own wagon filled with apple products, all baked and ready to sell. Applejack was so concentrated on her task that she nearly jumped when Silver Spoon spoke up from from behind her.

“Excuse me? Applejack?”

“Oh, uh… Howdy Silver Spoon. What brings you here?” Applejack said with a wary expression.

“Is Apple Bloom around? I need to talk to her if that’s okay.”

Applejack’s unease grew slightly. She was well aware that this was one of the fillies that tormented Apple Bloom about being a blank flank, along with Diamond Tiara, and she really didn’t feel like simply letting it happen. Although when she looked behind Silver Spoon, she raised an eyebrow at the cargo she was carrying. Nothing much, but enough to make her curious.

“Uh, about what exactly?”

“I uh… I want to make amends.”

“Pardon?”

“I know I haven’t treated your sister or her friends very well. I won’t deny that I’ve been well, a bully. But recently, I’ve started feeling the effects of everything that’s going on with Equestria, from the racism to the social stigma. My parents get enough of that already and when I think about what I’ve been doing, I just…. Well, I’m not proud of myself. All I’m asking is a chance to start over with Apple Bloom. Maybe if I can make amends with her and her friends, I can get Diamond Tiara to do the same thing.”

“Well…”

“And I’m well prepared if that doesn’t happen. Even if they don’t forgive me, I’ve already promised myself that I would stop picking on them. I’m also pretty sure Diamond Tiara will at least back down with nopony to stand with her.”

“Ah see. Well, Ah suppose it wouldn’t hurt.” Applejack’s unease somewhat transformed into a small smile as she pointed into the orchard. “Apple Bloom and her crusader friends are in the clubhouse in the orchard. Ah hope you can find it, it’s not too hard to miss.”

“Thank you Miss Applejack,” Silver Spoon said with a respectful bow. “Oh, and sorry for your loss.”

Applejack watched as Silver Spoon cantered into the orchard with her small wagon. She was hopeful the outcome would be favorable for both Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon. “She seems genuine with her intentions. Ah’ll just have ta hope for the best. Well, time to get back to work.”

It took Silver Spoon approximately seven minutes of weaving through trees and slipping on rotten apples that fell from said trees before she found the clubhouse. As she approached, she could already hear laughter and talking from the occupants of the clubhouse. Removing the wagon’s harness from her back, she took the box from her wagon with her teeth, carrying it by a ribbon attached. With the present clenched between her teeth, she carefully made her way up the wooden stairs. Once in front of the door, Silver Spoon took a deep breath and delivered three swift knocks.

The noise from the inside stopped and Silver Spoon heard the sound of hooves walking toward the door which soon opened to reveal Sweetie Belle.

“Hello there- Oh… Um, hi Silver Spoon,” Sweetie Belle said wearing an unsure expression. At the sound of Silver’s name, the other two fillies adopted similar expressions, Apple Bloom gaining a glare and Scootaloo looking like she was ready to go to war.

“Hi girls. May I talk to you for a little while? I brought you guys some treats.”

Sweetie Belle glanced back at her friends, unsure what to do. She figured it would be rude to deny a guest and let her in. With a small air of hostility still present in the air, Silver Spoon dragged herself and her present inside. Once in the center of the room, she unraveled the ribbon on the box and opened it to reveal a basket with an assortment of candy and pastries.

“I know it’s not much, but I thought you guys would like it.”

“Well, I guess we were getting a little hungry,” Sweetie Belle said attempting to pick one of the chocolate snacks. Before she touched them though, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom pulled her aside, practically yanking her into a corner.

“What’s the big idea Scootaloo?” Sweetie Belle said in an angry whisper.

“Whaddaya mean ‘what’s the big idea’? That’s Silver Spoon over there!” Apple Bloom said in an equally angry whisper.

“Yeah, I don’t really think we can trust her,” Scootaloo added. “What if she poisoned those chocolates or put laxatives in them or something?”

Sweetie Belle and even Apple Bloom simply stare at Scootaloo with a deadpan expression.

“What? It could happen,” Scootaloo said defensively.

“Let’s just see where this goes,” Sweetie Belle said breaking off from the huddle.

The Crusaders stepped back to their guest and Sweetie Belle popped on of the chocolates into her mouth, her tastebuds savoring the milk chocolate goodness. The other two reluctantly followed her lead while still eyeing Silver Spoon suspiciously.

“Do you like them? I tried my best to give you a good selection,” Silver Spoon asked nervously.

“These are pretty good!” Sweetie responded.

“So what exactly did you want to talk about anyway?” Apple Bloom inquired as she bit into a cinnamon roll.

“About that. Well, I wanted to say sorry for everything. Those times Diamond Tiara and I bullied you. I don’t know if you’ll believe me, but I truly want to make amends for those times.”

The girls looked at each other with varying degrees of suspicion. Knowing the history between them and their nemeses, they weren’t sure they would be so willing to forgive.

“I would also like to apologize to Babs the next time I see her. Given what happened, she deserves that much at the very least.”

“Why the sudden change of heart?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah, what brought this up?” Scootaloo added.

“Technically, it wasn’t sudden. I’ve been trying to stop insulting or pick on you for awhile now. I dunno, with the stuff my mom and dad are going through, I’ve kind of started to distance myself from that side of me. I just wish Diamond Tiara did the same thing. Speaking of which, I hope she didn’t get to you too much with what she said last week.”

“Naw, it wasn’t that bad,” Sweetie said with her expression softening a little. “She was just trying to get on my nerves like usual. I could’ve ripped her a new one if I really wanted to, but we’re bigger than that. Right girls?”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo slowly nodded while munching on the treats their guest presented. Silver Spoon’s unease started to grow as she could sense little change in their mood.

“I also want to apologize for Diamond Tiara’s behavior, though she definitely needs to say it herself. She went too far with that comment.”

“What’s she doing now anyway?” Sweetie Belle said with curiosity.

“Knowing her, she’s is likely spending time with her dad like she’s been doing the whole week. We haven’t hung out since that outburst last week. We had a little fight about what she said because I took offense to it, since my mother is a unicorn. As long as I’ve known her, I never thought she would resort to racism.”

As she talked to them, she noticed that Sweetie Belle seemed to be opening up and she was grateful for the possibility of making at least one friend. The remaining ponies didn’t seem as open as they constantly wore glares which were each pointed at her. She honestly couldn’t say she blamed them, but such expressions were discouraging. In an uncomfortable setting such as this, she knew it was best to remove herself from the situation and let them think it out amongst themselves.

“Look, I’m going to go now. Maybe we can talk again some other time.”

“We’ll…. consider it,” Apple Bloom said as Silver Spoon got up and left the clubhouse.

The three fillies discreetly watched their visitor walk away with her wagon and as soon as they lost sight of her, Scootaloo spoke up first. “Geez, can you believe her? Trying to buy our friendship like that!”

“I don’t know, she seemed pretty serious about wanting to be friends,” Sweetie Belle countered.

“How can you be so sure, Sweetie Belle? Don’t you remember how much she tormented us with Diamond Tiara? How they called each of us blank flanks?”

“An’ don’t forget that time when mah cousin. Babs is still kickin’ herself over that.”

“And then there was the time they picked on me when tried out for carrying the Ponyville flag for the Equestria Games. Remember what they said to me about that? Ms. Harshwhinny will never pick a Pegasus pony who can't fly to represent Ponyville in front of all of Equestria,” Scootaloo mimicked in Silver Spoon’s voice.

“And yet, your flying is improving,” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

“That’s not the point! She kept picking on us along with Diamond Tiara and now Silver Spoon wants to be our friend. What if this is just some stupid setup for some stupid prank or something that will humiliate us again or possibly get us hurt?”

“You know what Scootaloo?” Sweetie Belle asked firmly. “I’m willing to give her the benefit of a doubt. I don’t really know too much about her, but I noticed a week ago when Diamond Tiara said what she said that Silver Spoon hardly budged. She didn’t join in on her and I even saw her glare at Diamond. Maybe she hasn’t been the best pony in the past, but I can tell she didn’t take the racism thing lightly.”

“Then what about what she said to Scootaloo?” Apple Bloom said skeptically.

“That’s not really so much racism as much as it was picking on her hinderance. Also, that was way before that law or whatever passed and this started popping up. And from what I hear from Rarity whenever she visits, it’s gotten pretty bad. From what Silver Spoon said about her mother, that makes me wonder if she experienced some prejudice that really hurt. I think we all know how that feels from time to time in school or other things, right?”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom nodded reluctantly in response, and Sweetie Belle continued. “Maybe she’s just growing out of it. Some bullies do that and if she’s really ashamed of herself for it, maybe we can start over with her. Apple Bloom, do you remember when Granny Smith came by the school for Family Appreciation Day and Silver Spoon was the first to applaud, despite mocking you just before that? To me, that shows she is at least willing to give credit where it’s due and I believe that’s worth of some respect at the very least.”

“Well yeah, Ah guess when you say it like that…” Apple Bloom responded as she rubbed the back of her head with her hoof.

“And think about this for a second: If we get Silver Spoon as our friend, maybe Diamond Tiara will come around too and follow her example, or at least stop teasing us. I’ve constantly seen her trying to bully other fillies and colts. Heck, last week she even resorted to picking on Dinky and I don’t think her mom can do much about it, even if she talked to Diamond Tiara’s dad. The point I’m trying to make is since Diamond Tiara is the biggest bully in our school, we’d be doing the other foals and their parent’s a favor if we can get her to back down and even make up to all of them. It would be a challenge, but it’s something to think about.”

Sweetie Belle sat down and observe her friends ponder, confident that her words were sinking in whether they liked it or not. Her skills in debate gave her an edge in these kind of situations and she had gotten quite persuasive. This situation was no different as no matter how hard they tried, neither Apple Bloom nor Scootaloo could think of a legitimate rebuttal to her appeal.

“Alright, alright, you win,” Scootaloo said with a sigh.

“Ah guess you make a valid argument, so Ah guess Ah’m willing to give it a try.”

The girls exchanged a group hug, Sweetie Belle being happy that she was able to successfully get her friends to accept a former enemy. It was a feeling of joy she rarely felt and that joy was added too when a small light emanated from behind her. Upon pulling away, she turned around to see what the flash was and the other fillies went wide eyed.

“Sweetie Belle!” Apple Bloom shouted with glee. “Look!”

Sweetie Belle glanced back to see Apple Bloom pointing at her flank and a quick peek at it told her why: on her flank was a red wax seal stamp, the kind used for sealing diplomatic envelopes. “My cutie mark! I finally got my cutie mark! Yeeees!” The young unicorn jumped with joy and hugged her friends tightly, both of who returned it without much resistance. “Oh just wait until Rarity finds out about this!”


An orange skyline spanned in the distance as an airship docked at the Grand Central landmass. Once the airship came to a complete stop, five mares disembarked and made their way towards the Grand Square.

“I’m glad we finally get to see each other again,” Canvas said with a smile. “How long has it been since we last got together?”

“About a month or so I think,” Trixie responded. “I don’t really know, time seems to flow differently here. Or maybe that’s just because I’ve been isolated in that water citadel for so long. Mother Acumen seems to not like sunlight too much.”

“Oh like you’re any different,” Lightning Dust mused as she landed on the ground after flying for an extended length of time, rubbing her wings a little.

“You alright there? You seem like you’re in pain.”

“Yeah, my body is just a little tender. Fathers Patience and Tolerance wanted me to train inside a tornado yesterday and the strong winds are hard to keep up with.”

“At least you don’t have to worry about keeping your body cool,” Sunset grumbled. “As for me, I have to train with fire and magma. Father Tenacity is insane I tell you!”

“How is the training itself?”

“Okay I guess. Not much to say other than it’s heating up with each passing week… No pun intended. What about you Canvas? How is your training with Mother Integrity?”

“Oh, not too bad really. I don’t have anything else to say from last time. Though I will say that it’s strange working with a changeling.”

“Heh, try working with twin griffons,” Lightning Dust said popping her neck.

“What about a centaur?” Sunset retorted. “Two hands to hold two swords made of molten rock. Guy must have a fierce fire tolerance or something.”

“How about mermare?” Trixie stepped in. “Half pony, half fish.”

“I thought they were extinct,” Sunset questioned.

“Apparently they aren’t from what Mother Acumen told me, though I suppose if they live in the ocean, we wouldn’t know.”

As she listened to her friends banter about their times with their mentors, Twilight remained silent and strolled on towards the Grand Gate where she expected Ditzy to come forth. To say Twilight was entirely happy today would be a lie as it wasn’t that long ago that another one of her birthdays had passed her by. It had been nearly two years since she left Equestria behind to become enlightened within this holy land and even though she did enjoy her time in Elysium with her new friends, there was a part of her that wondered how the outside world was holding up. How was Spike doing without her? What is Cadance and Shining Armor doing? Were her parents coping with her departure? Many of this type of questions clouded the young alicorn’s thoughts and would likely continue to for a long time.

“Uh, Twilight? Are you feeling okay? You’ve been pretty quiet all day,” Trixie asked with concern, letting the other three go on ahead.

Twilight’s glance went from the ground to Trixie’s face and she smiled weakly. “I won’t lie, I’m feeling a little homesick. Don’t get me wrong, I love being with you and the others. But…”

Trixie nuzzled Twilight’s neck slightly as she closed the gap between their bodies. “I know what you mean. I’ve been feeling that way myself too. For a long time actually. Though, you have more ponies worrying about you than I do. Just know that I’ll be here for you should you need somepony to talk to or a shoulder to cry on.”

“That helps a little bit. Thanks Trixie. You’re a good friend.”

“Don’t mention, Twily.” Though I would prefer to be closer than just friends… Trixie thought slightly disappointed.

Having caught up with the other three mares, the group stood in front of the gate to await Ditzy’s arrival, which didn’t take long as the portal opened up with the pony in question stepping through a little forlorn. Once she saw her friends though, Ditzy’s expression softened a little.

“Hey girls. It’s been awhile.”

“I’ll say! It’s nice to get away from training for once,” Sunset said exasperated.

“Training is one thing. Raising two fillies in the political crisis is another.”

“Political crisis?” Twilight asked with a mix of curiosity and alarm. “What kind of political crisis are we talking about?”

Ditzy’s forlorn expression returned with a vengeance. She was very hesitant to talk about it as she knew Twilight wouldn’t like what she would tell her. But she also knew this would come up sooner or later so now was a good a time as any. “Well, uh… You see, after we left, things went a little icy in Canterlot. A new Dominion law was passed or revived, I don’t know which is which, that caused a lot of distrust among the races. This new law pretty much gave the nobles in Canterlot a lot of power and it’s going to their heads. As a result of most of them being unicorns, there’s a lot of racism running rampant and when I visited to go to the Opera with my girls, they didn’t want to let me in because I was a pegasus with unicorn foals.”

“That’s just… WRONG!” Canvas exclaimed.

“And that’s not all. All during our visit, everypony looked at us with the harshest looks ever. It was scaring little Dinky and angering Sparkler. I think the breaking point came when I had a mare come up to me and say my foals shouldn’t be with me, that I’m a bad influence on them or something. I just…. Normally I try to be civil as much as I can, but that comment just got to me.”

“What happened?” Canvas quivered.

“I…. I slapped her. Looking back on it, I’m not really proud of it, but I just lost control. I went on to tell her off that I worked hard to be the best mother I could be to my babies and they stood up for me. The mare didn’t say anything else, she just walked away disgruntled. But after that, the girls and I went back to Ponyville. We couldn’t stand being there any longer. Little Dinky even begged for me not to take them to Canterlot anymore. At least Ponyville is free of that for the most part.”

“Unbelievable… I mean, un-bucking-believable,” Lightning Dust said disgusted. “I knew Canterlot had problems, but this just brings it to an all time low.”

“And just recently, a new law was passed that pretty much limited free speech, thanks to a demonstration turned violent or at least that’s what the press said. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but DAMN you Celestia!”

“I’ve been saying that for a long time now, Ditzy. No need to hold back,” Twilight added. Maybe I should be glad I’m here instead of Equestria.

“You know? Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to clean things up sometime down the road. I mean, isn’t that what we are striving towards in the first place? To rid the Equestria of this kind of negativity?” Sunset pointed out. “In a way, Celestia is helping us by giving her subjects a reason not to follow her. Maybe we can get those same subjects on our side.”

“I suppose we could,” Ditzy admitted. “I’m sure it would help out a lot of ponies. But we will need more of a reason than that to get them to help us. Besides, I don’t think we are even remotely ready yet. Maybe once we can wield the Elements that Scintillant gathered us for.”

“We’ll think of something, but we will definitely fix this mess,” Twilight said with determination. “Whatever it takes, I know we will be ready.”


“Thank you all for choosing to side with what makes Equestria the home we know. The horrors of recent times threatened to ruin us, but now we stand strong and united. With the trust you are giving me and the hospitality you are showing me, I will do my best to turn our struggle into peaceful era of friendship and benevolence.”

Cheers of support and calls of her name sounded from the crowd gathered under the balcony Luna stood on. She waved at them and basked in their admiration. In her time restricted from ruling, she missed the contact with her subjects most of all matters. She was genuinely smiling for the first time in years.

“We can’t build brighter future without dealing with sad past first though. Therefore I declare all decisions passed by the Dominion as well as by my sister in last two years void. Trying to re-establish the Dominion in my domain will be met with harsh punishment as an act of treason against the ponies of Equestria. The same goes for royal supervisors.”

Another wave of applause roared all around, mixed with shouts of ‘Viva’ and ‘Long live the Princess.’ When they calmed down, Luna decided to wrap her speech up. “If a need for a law from that period will be proved, we will issue a substitutional law with utmost consideration for the needs of ponies. The first session of new court will be held tomorrow in the morning and all petitioners are welcome to attend. Allow me to thank you all once again for your faith in me. I will not disappoint your hopes.”

She bowed to the gathered crowd and waved them goodbye, retreating from the balcony. Even through the closed door she could still hear the chanting of her name. She sighed happily, the broad smile never leaving her muzzle when she trotted across the room to the waiting earth pony stallion.

She took in the kind features of the elderly pony in, memorizing them as she would probably be in almost daily contact with him. She realized that from his silver coat and midnight blue mane, a coloration highly atypical for an earth pony, she was gaining positive opinion on him. Anything resembling her nights always struck her fancy.

“The ponies already love you, your highness,” he said with a deep bow. “In all my years as mayor of Fillydelphia I haven’t seen them so ecstatic.”

“I must say that I share their happiness, Mr. Sharp Note. It has been too long since I last got a chance to meet my subjects, let alone partake in governing.”

“We will be more than happy if you do both on daily basis, your highness. Everything should be ready in the mansion, though we are ready to change anything at moments notice if you so please.” He stepped to the door and opened it for Luna. “Would you mind a small tour of your new home?”

“That would be lovely, thank you.”

As they walked through the numerous corridors and chambers, Luna noticed the decoration shared a common motive. “The last inhabitant obviously admired the night. That will make my stay even more enjoyable,” she commented and stroke a satin wallpaper depicting many constellations lovingly. “I would love to meet them too.”

“I am afraid that won’t be possible,” Sharp Note said, shuffling his hooves nervously. “The unicorn noble that used to live here left for Celestia’s territory when the results of the plebiscite were published.”

“A pity. It wasn’t my intention to chase ponies from their homes, no matter who they are.”

“You don’t need to be concerned, your highness. No loss befell him with his decision, the mansion wasn’t expropriated, but rightfully bought for a fair price,” Sharp Note assured when he noticed Luna’s unease. “The decoration wasn’t created by him either. We changed it when we bought the mansion.”

“I am glad to hear that. We won’t tolerate any discrimination in our domain, that must be made clear to our subjects. How many are there by this point anyway?”

“The exact number hasn’t been counted yet, but it is increasing daily. The towns didn’t perform the plebiscites on the same day, so the results are still streaming in. The last one to join us was Cloudsdale this morning. They are currently moving the city to hover over your domain.” He opened another set of doors and gestured Luna in. “We refurnished one of the halls to serve as your throne room. The throne is being finished as we speak and the artisan will deliver it in time for tomorrow’s court.”

“Hopefully you didn’t opt for the same design like those in Canterlot,” Luna joked while taking in the vast expanse of the hall.

“Of course not, your highness! Those monstrosities even look uncomfortable, I can’t imagine how you managed to sit on them for hours. No, the throne will communicate your majestate, but remain pleasant to sit on.”

“Splendid!” Luna exclaimed and clapped her hooves giddily. “It looks like you thought of everything. Though I am getting a bit tired, the journey took longer than it had to. Would you show me my personal chambers?”

“This way, your highness.” He led Luna to the part of the mansion facing the gardens and opened ebony door with a golden key which he then passed to Luna. “While the basic furniture is in place, we wanted to wait for you to decide the details. The artisans can be ready immediately.” Luna stepped in and started overlooking her new living conditions. “You may have noticed the lack of guards in the mansion. The shortage will be solved shortly and- Is something wrong, your highness?” he asked as he noticed the frown on Luna’s face. She was lying on the bed and growling quietly.

“Oh, not much, Mr. Sharp Note. But this bed must be replaced before the sun sets, or this night will truly last forever.” They shared a small chuckle at that, the phrase having become a common saying since Luna returned. “Seriously though, I would like to ask you to become my chancellor, Mr. Sharp Note. You are proving to be very capable when it comes to administrative.”

With a loud intake of air, Sharp Note bulged his eyes and opened his mouth in silent shock. “Your highness, do you mean this offer?” Earning a small nod from Luna, along with a gentle smile, he bowed deeply. “Then I accept wholeheartedly and happily, your highness, and swear to serve you to the best of my ability.”

“You may rise, sir Sharp Note. I will expect you tomorrow before the court session starts so we can discuss the matters properly. For now, you are dismissed.”

“Thank you, your highness.” He rose and trotted to the door, intending to let his princess rest. “The artisans will be sent in immediately to take care of that bedding problem too.”


In the tactical room of the Royal Palace of Griffus, the full attendance of General Staff gathered for a briefing. Detailed maps of Equestria covered every wall, the room lacking any windows to prevent possible breaches of security.

“As the final results were counted for, the borderline between Luna’s and Celestia’s territory was delimitated as such,” said a black griffon by the board turned to the rest of the officers. He took a red marker in his claw and drew a line dividing Equestria into two uneven parts. “As you can see, Celestia kept bigger portion of land, but Luna gained about equal population.”

“How are the territories interacting so far?” the biggest griffon in the room asked. He wore a black armor covering most of his body and an iron crown with a single red jewel in the middle.

“They are keeping brief trade contact, but as far as we know it is dying off. Equestria didn’t officially split into two countries, but they surely act so, my liege.”

“That is most displeasing. If a conflict between them arises, it may spread to the surrounding countries as well. The social unrest would endanger the kingdom,” another of the generals pointed out.

“We can’t risk such frivolous events. if a hostile situation in Equestria arises, it is a duty of Griffon Kingdom to come and re-instal order by any means necessary,” the king declared. “Strengthen the contingents by Equestria’s borders. If the wider spread violence breaks loose, they are to be ready for an intervention.”

“Honor to the king!” the griffons shouted as one in response to the command, all too happy to prepare for potential war.