• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 8,267 Views, 500 Comments

Ein Sof Zealotry - ZhaoZoharEX



Twilight Sparkle has never felt so lonely. After what happened at her brother’s wedding rehearsal she can’t but question her friends’ worth, and once she starts doubting one part of her life, second thoughts about the rest soon foll

  • ...
23
 500
 8,267

Chapter 14

Original Title: Down Once More
This chapter is part of the older version of "Ein Sof Zealotry" and is to be considered non-canon in lieu of the pending rewrite. This along with the rest of the old story remain for the purpose of comparison.


The day after the incident with her sore apprentice, Princess Celestia had decided, after an restless sleep, to send summons to the Elements of Harmony, sans Twilight; from her informants in Ponyville, Celestia had learned that the former princess reverted back to her reclusive tendencies, not communicating with anypony outside the library and even then, didn’t say much. Thus, her friends were not aware of the heated quarrel that resulted in the summons.

Outside of the castle gates, the five mares could already feel the heavy air as they approached the guards.

“Halt! Who goes there?” barked one of the guards.

“We’re here because Princess Celestia summoned us. See?” Rainbow Dash said holding out the official letter.

The guard examined the letter and nodded. “This looks in order. Go on in, though I must warn you, the princess has seen better days.”

The mares nodded as they were escorted to the throne room. Celestia specifically ordered the surrounding areas cleared of any servants or assistants aside from her advisor Raven. What she was going to say was not something she wanted to leak. Once inside, the girls saw Celestia sitting on her throne with Raven standing next to her.

“Good afternoon girls,” the princess greeted with as warm an expression as she could muster at the moment.

“Good afternoon your highness,” Rarity returned with a more genuine smile. “Lovely day today. Though if you don’t mind me asking, where is Twilight? I expected to see her around here.”

Celestia slowly dropped her smile, now replacing it with a forlorn expression.

“Oh my, did something happen to her?” Fluttershy asked.

“Girls… I don’t know how to say this, but I made a serious blunder.” The girls were now worried, yet curious to hear what she had to say. “You see, yesterday morning Twilight and I… had a nasty fight. While I wouldn’t normally bring this kind of thing up to anypony else, this case is different. Things were said that shouldn’t have been said. I fear it has permanently damaged everything and I only have myself to blame.”

“Princess?” Applejack said concerned. “What exactly happened?”

Celestia sighed and paused before responding. “Yesterday morning, Twilight was handling a court case involving two farmers and some land. I disagreed with her ruling and from there, we got into a fierce argument which resulted in Twilight… quitting. She threw her crown and Element of Harmony on the ground, calling me a puppeteer. I got enraged by this and said she was ungrateful and bratty.”

The girls glanced at each other in horror, not really knowing how to take this information.

“I know this is a bit much to ask, but I would like to properly apologize to her. However, I do not think I alone can approach her. That’s why I am asking you to convince her to come back.” Celestia gave them Twilight’s crown and Element of Magic. “I have faith in you. This is important for all of us.”

“Yer highness? Just what do you mean by ‘important for all of us’?” Applejack inquired.

“I fear for the integrity of the Elements of Harmony. Frankly, I feel as though I deserve whatever backlash I get, but if something happens that prevents the Elements from working, Equestria would have its best defense destroyed.”

“Um, Princess Celestia, did you try to convince her to stay?” Fluttershy asked. “I don’t mean to imply anything, but if you did, I don’t think we’d fare much better.”

“Alas, I did not. We were both too angry to coherently agree on anything. That is why I’m asking you five. You are her closest friends in addition to being the other Elements of Harmony. I would have liked to start over myself, but I feel that Twilight would not want to see me right now. Can you do that for me? For your friend?”

“Ah don’t know, princess. We’ll do what we can, but if she’s mad at you, the pony she looked up to the most, Ah can’t promise anything,” Applejack said discouraged.

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash added. “I mean, I’ve seen her mad a couple of times, but never to this point like you said. And at you no less.”

“The poor dear needs some support, girls,” Rarity reassured. “Even if we don’t succeed, we simply must be there for her.”

“Maybe we can throw her a super duper party later to help cheer her up!” Pinkie bounced.

“Pinkie, um, maybe it’s too early to celebrate. And in her current state, she might not be too keen on a party right now,” Fluttershy reprimanded.

“I have faith in you my little ponies.”

With that, the five mares were ushered out of the throne room. While Rarity would have liked to purchase a few fabrics from the Canterlot stores that were not sold in Ponyville, she and the other girls decided that their friend needed them first. Just as quickly as they arrived in Canterlot, they soon were back on the train to Ponyville. During the ride, it was painfully quiet from all the passengers, with even Pinkie not wanting to speak up.

“Do you think we can pull this off?” Applejack finally said, earning a look of confusion from the others.

“Well of course! Why do you ask?” Rarity said speaking on the others’ behalf.

“Well, it’s just that Ah feel we’ve been missing something in this whole thing. Like the Princess didn’t give the whole story.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“Ah don’t know. Ah know Twilight is a bit compulsive sometimes and Ah would imagine being a princess is stressful, but for her to lash out against Princess Celestia? Something just doesn’t sit right with me.”

“I know what you mean,” Rainbow Dash responded. “Besides her brother and Spike, Princess Celestia is the pony closest to her. She taught her everything she knows. If Twilight is this upset with her, she must’ve done something to really piss her off. I’m more worried about how we’ll do.”

“What nonsense are you talkin ‘bout Rainbow?”

“Well, even Lightning Dust had to apologize in person before she could make up for what she’d done. Having us apologize for Celestia? I don’t see that working, at least not very well.”

“Well Ah…” Applejack stopped herself. She looked at the other three mares and saw their looks of contemplation. Rainbow Dash bringing up the incident from Wonderbolt academy reminded them of many cases they acted for their own gains instead of being considerate to others. With a sigh, Applejack stood up. “Look, even when she doesn’t say it openly, she can show how sorry she is with her action, right?”

“We tried to do that awhile ago remember? No matter what we do to try and make it up to her, I still don’t think it counts as a proper apology if you don’t actually come out and say it.”

“Well Ah thought ya’ll apologized to her too. Shoot, why didn’t ya’ll?”

“I know, alright? That’s what I’m saying. If the Princess only says she’s sorry through actions, will it really get the point across?”

“Well… Let’s just see where this goes, okay sugarcube?”


Back in Golden Oaks Library, Twilight was trying to go about her old library life like nothing had changed. She’d slept in until noon as she no longer had the burden of the crown to worry about. It had been many weeks since she was able to get a restful sleep and after what happened the previous day, Spike decided it was best to let her get her rest and open up later than usual, doing some grocery shopping to make something special for her dinner.

I don’t remember this being so taxing, She thought as she tried to read one of her new books. I guess I’m still drained from what happened yesterday. Maybe I should just go back to sleep, I can’t concentrate on anything.

Before she could stand up and close down the library after a whooping one hour of opening, she heard a knock at the door.

A visitor? Ah, I guess I should at least help them before closing. She found herself taking more effort than usual to stand up and walk downstairs, subconsciously using her magic to put the book she was reading back on the shelf. As she walked down the steps, taking care to watch her hooves due to how shaky they were, she noticed her visitors had already walked in.

“Good afternoon, welcome to Golden Oaks-” She stopped when she realized it was her five friends. Recollecting herself and trying to hide her shaky state, she forced a smile. “Oh, hi girls.”

“Hello Twilight,” Rarity responded an untypical sadness in her face, as if she gained a decade spent in shortage.

“W-what brings you here today, girls?” Twilight said, still trying to wear her smile.

The other girls looked at each other, slightly worried about what they had to do next. Twilight noticed this and started to get a cold feeling in her stomach. Judging from their own strained smiles, she just knew things weren’t going to end well.

“Actually Twi,” Applejack began, “we uh, wanted to return this to ya.”

Applejack reached into her saddlebag and pulled out Twilight’s crown, which had a dents and scratches, telling the story of it meeting the hard stone ground of the Canterlot throne room. Twilight instantly lost her smile and replaced it with an angry, unamused glare. This is really happening, isn’t it? Twilight thought as she gritted her teeth. Now she is using even my friends. A heavy silence loomed for several seconds as the girls realized how difficult this was going to be.

"That's not mine, you can send it back to Celestia," Twilight said, breaking the silence with an irritated tone before turning tail and walking back upstairs.

"Darling, throwing a crown on the ground doesn't mean you stop being princess,” Rarity said as she followed her friend to the upper level, with the rest of the girls following suit.

Twilight glanced back with a frown and levitated a scroll from her desk "I know that well, Rarity. This does though." She opened the scroll and started to read out loud. “I, Twilight Sparkle, Princess of the Equestrian Kingdom and member of the Royal Family, hereby renounce my title and relinquish all assets associated with such.” With that, Twilight tossed the scroll back on the desk as her friends were starting to look more and more worried by the second.

"But Twilight! You can't just quit! Ponies are counting on you!” Rarity pleaded.

“Who do you think counts on me? Until few months ago there was no Princess Twilight Sparkle and ponies lived just fine anyway. Then there was Princess Twilight Sparkle and she didn’t get a chance to do anything of importance because somepony with flowing mane thought to be better than her.”

“She probably just tried to protect you.” Rarity sternly said, starting to feel as though she was dealing with an unruly filly.

“She said that too, but I know she protects her position like the power hungry schemer she is.”

“That’s not nice of you at all, Twilight. Um, and you should probably go apologize to the princess too,” Fluttershy added. “What you told her wasn’t very nice, um if you don’t mind me saying.”

Twilight, to everypony’s surprise, actually snorted in disgust. "She told you only one side, didn’t she? Typical. Well, know that according to her words she would rather see me dead long ago. Why should I apologize to somepony like that?” Twilight said louder than intended.

“Ya both were mighty angry. She sure didn’t mean that! But what about everything she did for you, Twilight?” Applejack retorted. “Not ta mention how much she does for Equestria. Ah’d like to remind you that if it weren’t for her, we wouldn’ta met and become friends!”

“And I’d like to remind you how many times she would be dead without me. Was she protecting me or Equestria when she disregarded my warning about Nightmare Moon? Sure, maybe everything turned out okay in the end, but that still doesn’t change the fact that she endangered everypony, even herself. Or what about keeping the Elements of Harmony in her own special chamber, huh? If they are the most valuable defense of Equestria, shouldn’t they be easily accessible to us in the time of a crisis?” Twilight was starting to breathe heavy in frustration. “Not that it matters anymore,” she mumbled to herself. “I would say that she could’ve fended off any threat herself, but after seeing her take on that changeling queen, she clearly can’t even do that!

“Woah woah woah, hang on a minute there Twilight! Maybe the Princess hasn’t always been the best kind of pony, but did it ever occur to you that she might have been holding back during that fight!?” Rainbow Dash stepped in, trying to defuse the situation. Unintentionally though, she only fed the fire.

“Yes. Yes I did consider that. And you know what? That actually makes it worse!”

Applejack blinked. “Pardon?”

“The leader of the massive enemy force was right in front of her, all but begging to be struck down. If she did use her full power, maybe there would’ve been casualties in the room, but it’s a small price compared to the entire city, don’t you think? Of course, none of that would ever have happened if SOMEPONY would’ve just heeded my warnings before it happened. Though, I can’t say I’m that surprised. I should’ve learned a long time ago just how much my opinion matters to that old nag. Or anypony else for that matter.”

“Now Ah take offense to that!” Applejack barked. “Ah apologized to ya-”

Twilight stomped her hoof. “You were the only one who did! None of you ever learn, that’s the problem!”

“What are you implyin’, Twi?” Applejack said narrowing her eyes in a glare.

“I’ve said this to Celestia and I’ll say it to you. I don’t imply anything, I’m flat out SAYING you. Never. Learn! All of you! I’m sorry I have to say this, but I’ve held this in for far too long!”

While the other girls stepped back in disbelief, Applejack stomped her own hooves. Before she could retort however, Twilight spoke up again.

“What was the point of those friendship letters anyway?”

“To teach you to take others in consideration and to care bout ‘em! You fail at that darn badly right now Twi!”

“Yes, just me. But you could have learnt something from them too!”

“Ah did!

“So much for that! I seem to recall you ‘didn’t learn anything’ that time at cider season. Pretty much sums this all up.”

“Oh, YOU!... You know what? Forget it!” Applejack roared as she stormed to the exit of the library.

“Applejack!” Pinkie Pie yelled running after her. “Where are you going? Twilight’s back there.”

“Ah’m goin home. If she wants ta be a stubborn filly, I say let her.”

“But-”

“But nothin! Ah refuse to take these kind of insults. Tell her if she’s ready to start acting maturely, I’ll be waiting.”

And with that, Applejack stomped out of the library, slamming the door as loud as she could. The girls back inside the library were speechless, having witnessed their best friends escalate things as far as they could. Even the normally bouncy Pinkie Pie was too astonished to do anything more than blink. Rainbow Dash was the first to step forward and confront Twilight, not caring anymore about convincing her to go back to Celestia.

“Twilight, I… I-”

“What Rainbow Dash? Is it your turn now?” Twilight angrily snapped.

“Twilight, you went WAY overboard with that. I can understand you’re angry with us, but that’s not how to deal with it.”

“She’s right darling,” Rarity added, “I must agree that was just too much.”

Twilight sighed and gently shook her head. “I know. I could’ve handled that better, but my point still stands. Look, I know what you all are trying to do and I think you should just go.”

“I’m not leaving until we talk this out, Twilight!” Rainbow retorted.

“Ugh! Not you too! There’s nothing to talk about. If you agree with her so much, you can just go with her.”

“Twilight-”

“That wasn’t a request.” Twilight said through her teeth.

“I’m not-”

LEAVE!!” Twilight roared in the Royal Canterlot Voice.

She lit up her horn teleported her guests outside the library, each of them landing hard on the ground. The girls picked their aching selves up and tried to comprehend what just happened. This was a side of Twilight they weren’t familiar with and for her to literally throw them out of her home like this just baffled them. Before they could rush back inside, a spark of magic shot from the library and a barrier formed around their friend’s residence.

“Girls?” Pinkie said wearily.

“Yes Pinkie Pie?” Rainbow replied.

“I don’t think Twilight is happy with us.”

“You don’t say?”

“Please don’t do this Dash,” Fluttershy responded.

“Right, right. Sorry. So now what?”

“I guess we try again later,” Rarity reasoned.

With nothing else they could do, the four mares all went their separate ways, passing Spike as he returned from his shopping. The young dragon was confused to see how down they looked, and even more confused when he walked to his home and saw a familiar pink barrier around it. It reminded him of the time the Cutie Mark Crusaders had their newspaper persona exposed and everypony in town, including Twilight and himself, wouldn’t talk to them; in that case, he remembered Twilight put up the barrier to keep them from even approaching the door.

“Oh boy...” he whispered to himself as he put two and two together. He just knew something happened with Twilight. Finding her up in the second level bed with a blanket draped over herself, he called to her.

“Twilight?”

Twilight peeked out from underneath the blanket and smiled to see a face she knew she could trust. “Hi Spike. How did the shopping go?”

“Went okay. Um, Twilight? What happened? I saw the girls out there and they looked like the sun shouldn’t rise again.”

Twilight’s smile slid right off her face as she breathed a heavy sigh and turned over.

“I don’t think they are my friends, Spike. Not anymore.”


“Now just the glasses over here and the vase there and it will be ready. The situation is grim enough even without wrongly arranged meeting place. We can solve anything, just in the right time.”

After Rarity’s two hours long preparations, Sugarcube corner, devoid of any visitors as she booked the place for the whole afternoon, not regretting the tremendous price she had to pay, finally reached her expectations. All the windows were shrouded with curtains, allowing only little light in and definitely barring view from the outside. The cheerful decorations, so typical for the bakery, were all taken down and replaced with strings of dark flowers and the tablecloth would make any funeral proud with its black velvet beauty.

Just as Rarity was finishing pouring the drinks for the guests she expected, Pinkie Pie sneaked into the room carrying a big tray covered with cloth. “I made us some refreshments for our secret meeting, Rarity,” she said in a hushed conspiratorial voice, her eyes darting left and right, searching for potential spies. She placed the tray on the table and went to tiptoed away.

“How lovely from you, Pinkie, I knew I could count on your help,” Rarity beamed and reached for the cloth. “What did you-”

“NO! You can’t see yet! They must stay undercover until the time is right,” Pinkie whisper-yelled as she jumped back and beat Rarity’s hoof away. “You probably wouldn’t recognize them, they are masked too, but one can never be too safe.”

Rarity backed slowly from Pinkie who was now leaning in mere inches from her face, adamant look in her eyes not allowing any discussion. “Very well, Darling, just calm down. The identity of our refreshments will stay hidden until you decide otherwise.” Angering another of her friends was the last thing Rarity needed, no matter how petty the reason seemed to her.

Thankfully, she was saved from the awkward moment by the door being opened and the rest of her friends walking in, Spike trailing as the last one, reluctance and distaste apparent on him.

“Hi Pinkie, hi Rarity! What’s up, your letter sounded like somepony died,” Rainbow called out the moment she spotted her friends. She took a better look around and tilted her head to the side and her energetic smile dropped. “Did… did somepony die?”

“Oh girls, I’m so happy you are here. Well, I would be happier if you didn’t have to be here, but now that you are, we can-”

“We can reveal my super secret masked treats I made for us! They look like an average cupcake, but in fact they are blueberry muffins with colorful sprinkles inside and-”

At that moment Rarity stepped directly in front of Pinkie and looked her sternly in the eyes. The confectioner immediately deflated a bit and adopted a sheepish smile. “Pinkie, dear, there is a time for presenting new sweets. It is called ‘not now’.” Pinkie nodded few times and went to place the cupcakes slash muffins on the plates for each of the guests.

“Um, what is the time for now then, Rarity? Nopony died, right?”

“Oh no, of course not, Fluttershy. But!” Rarity made a dramatic pause and didn’t continue until everyone took their place at the table and she had their full attention again. “But the situation is just as grave. I called you here because we desperately need to find a way out of the current horrible situation with Twilight.” Immediately after the sentence left her lips, Applejack jumped up again.

“Ya called me from mah work just ta talk about that ungrateful vermin? Well, thank ya kindly Rarity. There’s ton of work on the farm and Ah wasted time walkin’ here. Thanks for the muffin, Pinkie. See ya later.” She grabbed the treat and started for the door, but a newspaper levitating right in front of her face stopped her retreat.

“You can go as you wish, Applejack, but first please read this. It may be of interest to you.” Rarity produced an issue of the newspaper for every one of her guests as she was speaking, all present quite confused.

“Just what could interest me in a week old Canterlot Daily? As if Ah cared ‘bout that… royal… gossip…” On the front page of the newspaper there was a big photo of Twilight and princess Celestia, probably taken several weeks ago, and a big title at the top.

Benefactor with a Rotten Heart?

“Oh horseapples…”

“Horseapples indeed, Applejack. Some guards witnessed their argument and sold it to the newspaper. All of Equestria probably knows by now and those two are more than likely unemployed,” Rarity said with a bitter smile, but refrained from further comments until everyone got chance to read the article thoroughly. As the first one to receive the newspaper, Applejack was also the first to finish reading. She folded it and walked back to the table, slowly sitting down and taking her hat off.

“Darn it! Ah did it again! Ah jumped ta conclusions like a foal! Ah told her she’s a stubborn filly and walked out on her while she had every right ta be angry.”

“Yes, you did. And then she threw us from the library with a spell,” Rarity added, earning a surprised gasp from Applejack, who didn’t hear about the results of the argument before. However, the comment was too much for Spike, whose annoyance was growing with every second.

“That’s what’s bothering you? That she expelled you from the library with a teleport? What about her, huh? What about her feelings? What about her crying for hours, that’s not a problem?” he shouted jumping up and pounding his fist into the table.

“Hey Spike, that’s not exactly helping. You don’t have to remind us we screwed up.” Rainbow unfolded and folded her wings in agitation. Taking critique never sat well with her, even when she knew she was in the wrong. Spike couldn’t be silenced though.

“No, I think I have to because you have no bucking idea how much you messed up! Do you even know how distraught she was after that argument with Celestia? Her world fell apart, she was on the brink of collapse and what do you do? Instead of consoling her like friends should, you march in and yell at her some more! If I were there, I would beat you! Now she refuses to even go out. She hasn’t smiled since then either.” The anger he felt slowly seeped out and sorrow filled its place. In the end his hands were shaking and he was barely holding back tears.

Rarity got up from her place and slowly walked to him, caressing his arm with a forehoof. He didn’t have energy to push her away, the struggle with his fear for Twilight tying all of it. “I know, Spike. I know. And that’s why we need you more than ever now.” He lifted his eyes to her and saw a genuine sorrow mirroring his own. “To make things right again. We can’t do it alone, we need your help.”

He kept their eyes locked for a few more seconds, examining how true her feelings were, and then sat down with a sigh. “I… I will help you. But not for you. For Twilight.”

“That’s all I ask, Spike, and our motivation as well.”


Twilight, Ah’m sorry about what Ah said. I assumed too quickly and now Ah know I was in the wrong.

-AJ

Twilight darling, we know now just how seriously the Princess hurt you and we want to make it up to you. Please forgive us.

-Rarity

Twilight, I’m sorry we were such silly fillies and made you so grumpy. Spike said you don’t smile anymore. That’s not right. You need to smile. Let me make you smile again.

-Pinkie Pie

Please don’t hold what happened against us, Twilight. We love you and we didn’t mean to hurt you like we did.

-Fluttershy

Twilight, know that whatever happens, we’re going to be there for you from now on. We owe you big time.

-RD

“These letters are nice Spike, but I just don’t know,” Twilight said lethargically as she read the letters in her bed.

“Twilight I’m not going to lie, I’m not really happy with them after what happened to you. But I think they know just how badly they did and truly want to patch things up.”

“Spike…”

“I’m not going to force you to do anything you don’t want to, but please consider what they’re offering. I want to see you happy again. Look, I need to get something done. I’ll be back in few hours, okay?” Spike started for the door, but Twilight caught up to him and hugged him firmly.

“Okay. Stay safe, Spike. I love you.” She let him go and he left the library shaking his head, confused from Twilight’s sudden emotionality.

As the doors shut, Twilight released a deep sigh and placed the latest letters to the rest. Over the past few days, Twilight had been getting gifts and cards from her “friends” and other residents of Ponyville, expressing their sympathy for her situation. While she thought they were nice, she was reluctant to accept them since she knew she wasn’t going to be staying for very long. Even more so after she received a different sort of letter three days ago.

This time I have to push through. We don’t have time to waste.

Ever since Canvas told her via her letter that the work on the gate was finished, Twilight became even more anxious. There was nothing objectively stopping her from leaving, but she continued to search for excuses to delay her departure. At first, she tried to convince herself she was just waiting for the right moment when Spike wouldn’t be around, but when she allowed such chance to slip two days ago, she could no longer lie to herself.

Despite what happened during the last year, the thought of leaving everything she knew and going into uncertainty scared her immensely. No matter how much they hurt her, her friends also made her life worthwhile after they dragged her from her bookworm shell. While the decision to follow Scintillant held strong in her mind, her heart accepted the dictate only reluctantly.

No matter. I can’t let them wait any longer. I am supposed to think about others more and they need me decisive, not trembling. With her resolve steeled for the moment she stepped to the writing desk and formulated four letters. Once they were sent, there was no way for her to back down, as the rest of her group would wait for her in the Canterlot in few hours.

Still, the sun isn’t setting yet. I have some time to spare.

There wouldn’t be much packing for her. None at all in fact. From what she was told, everything she could need would be provided to her. She roamed the library aimlessly, checking the shelves of books for anything of interest. That’s when she notice in what disarray they in fact were. With a determined look, she levitated most of them out and made them circle around her.

Ugh! This looks like when Rainbow bursts in. How many times did I have to sort these books out after her mishaps? Well it never was as bad as when I did this for the very first time. The last librarian had absolutely no system in here. It’s a wonder that book about Elements of Harmony was really under E.

Her memories drifted to her first evening in Ponyville and to how easy if dangerous the life seemed back in the day. Then she remembered all the times her friends would visit her here either to solve a crisis or even to just chat for a while. When she got to the sleepover with Rarity and Applejack, she couldn’t but smile fondly at what small things could derail her then. Yet as the books were returned to their rightful places, her memories retreated to the recesses of her mind and gave way to the present.

Last rays of setting sun shined through the windows and made the room look ablaze with their orange brightness. Her moment would soon come, but there was one last thing to do. Although she declared leaving unseen as the main reason for waiting for Spike’s absence, there was a different motive as well. She knew well she wouldn’t be able to leave if she saw his face, not after how close they grew over the past months. If he was like a son to her before, now she also saw him as a brother; not a substitute for the one too far away to help her, but a one she was there for just as much as he was for her.

She picked up the quill once more and started one last letter.

Dearest Spike.

Please don’t be angry at me. There is so much that happened over the past year. My life feels like a pendulum, swinging from bad to good and back again. I can’t take the rhythm anymore. I need to stop it.

All this time you were by my side. I want you to know that I don’t hold what happened at the wedding against you. I forgave you right away. You have no idea how much you mean to me and I wish I told you more often how much I love you.

However, this is something I have to do alone. I have to leave and you can’t follow me this time. Don’t be sad, we will see each other again. Just be patient.

Thank you for everything.

Love
Twilight

She marked the envelope with Spike’s name, placed it on the table so he wouldn’t miss it and put a glistening star shaped amethyst on it as a weight. Then she organized the writing utensils and other knickknacks on the table as symmetrically as possible and blew the candle out.

Refusing to look back again she walked out of the front door and lowered the barrier behind her. Crime never posed a problem in Ponyville so she didn’t lock the door. Spike expected her to be at home and therefore would have difficulties getting there if she locked. She decided to walk in the outskirts and avoid as many ponies as possible that way. Thankfully for her, the streets were deserted, no hoofsteps echoing anywhere.

Soon she found herself in front of Ditzy’s home and knocked without hesitation. A teenage magenta unicorn filly with violet and lavender mane opened the door after a few seconds. “Good evening, can I help you?”

“Oh, hi Sparkler, is your mom home?”

“Yes, I will get her for you.” She walked back inside and after a moment Twilight heard her speak again. “Mom? Twilight is here and wants to see you. She looks shaken.”

“Already? Darn,” Twilight could hear the slightly annoyed reply from Ditzy. “Girls I have to leave for the night, but I will be back in the morning, okay? Could you watch over Dinky, Amethyst?”

“Yeah, no problem. Why do you have to leave? Is Twilight alright?”

“She just needs me to help her with something in Canterlot. The dinner is ready, just warm it up. And make sure she goes to bed early.”

“But moooom! It’s Friday, I don’t have to go to school. I wanna stay up longer…”

“What am I to do with you? You can stay up till ten, but not a minute longer.”

“Thanks! Yay!”

“Love you, Muffin. Love you, Sparkler.”

“Love you too, mom.”

Hoofsteps sounded from the hallway and soon Ditzy emerged from the house and closed the door behind her. Instead of a greeting she frowned on Twilight. “Do you have any idea how much worry you caused me? Letting me know three hours early. Where do you think I would get a foalsitter at such a short notice?!”

Twilight stood there with ears folded back, the onslaught striking her hard. “Please not you too. Please don’t yell at me, I got enough of that recently,” she managed to say when Ditzy stopped her scolding for breath. Her tired and sad tone caught Ditzy’s attention and she took better look on Twilight’s face showing exhaustion and pain. “I’m sorry, I just had to do this all quickly or I wouldn’t find the strenght to do it at all. I didn’t want to cause inconvenience.” She was staring at her hoof intently when a small nuzzle to her cheek came.

“No, I’m sorry. I’m leaving just for the night, but you will be staying away. But it will be okay, you will see.”

“If you say so, I will hope you are right,” Twilight said with doubt. “Well, we should go now. Have you ever teleported before?” Ditzy shook her head no. “Well, enjoy then, we need several teleports to get to Canterlot. I can’t get there in one jump. Hold your breath, it helps prevent nausea.” With that Twilight flared her horn and the two ponies vanished.

Six spells later, slightly panting Twilight, sweat on her forehead, and fairly disoriented and nauseated Ditzy appeared in front of Royal Academy of Arts.

“Welcome to Canterlot. Thank you for choosing Alicorn Express for your journey today. We are looking forward to teleporting with you again s- Ditzy, are you going to throw up?” A splatting sound was the only answer Twilight needed. She summoned a package of tissues and handed them to Ditzy. “Sorry. The first time is always pretty bad.”

“First time flying doesn’t cause such trouble,” Ditzy grumbled as they entered the campus and started toward the warehouse housing Canvas’ creation.

“True, but after the first day of flying, my backside hurt for a week.”

“Really? You were THAT clumsy? Good thing they made you a princess, not honorary Wonderbolt,” a voice came from the right. Twilight lit her horn to spot the mocker and saw Lightning Dust, Sunset and Trixie walking to them from a nearby bench.

“You should see her working with an axe. It’s like she expects the wood to carve itself for a good word,” Trixie mocked.

Twilight adopted a shocked expression, pointed a hoof behind the trio and exclaimed, “watch out, Trixie! Timberwolf!” The former showmare reacted exactly as expected, jumping to the side and curling to a ball. Hearing the giggles of the other mares she peaked out from her protective curl and seeing the warning was a fake she indignantly stood up.

“Very funny, Sparkle.”

“I think so. Well now that we are all here, we should pay Canvas a visit. Shall we?” Twilight led the others through the dark campus and knocked on the door of the warehouse. Soon, a crack appeared and an auburn eye peaked through it.

“Oh it’s you! Come in girls, I couldn’t wait!” Canvas opened the door fully and beckoned them in, glee radiating from her.

“Nice to finally meet you in person, Canvas,” Sunset said as she passed her. “So where is this big creation of yours? I must say I am excited to see your talent.”

“You will see it in action actually! I waited with the last stroke for when you all get here. Take a seat… somewhere. I didn’t exactly focus on cleaning here, heh.” The gleeful earth pony skipped to a big canvas covered with old cloth. “Behold, The Gate of Elysium!” She pulled the cloth down and a fairly intricate painting was revealed to the audience for the first time ever. It earned well deserved gasps from them and Canvas beamed with pride and happiness. “And now for the grand finale!” She took a brush she prepared for that exact moment, caressing the canvas with her other hoof, and made a smallest of strokes on one of the symbols.

To the amazement of the group, the painting started shifting and waving, contours and segments entering the reality as if the canvas was a mere corridor for things to arrive. “No matter how many times I will see this, it will never cease to amaze me. You are fantastic, Canvas!” Twilight exclaimed and rushed to the mare in question to congratulate her. Instead of a hoofshake, a hug awaited her, happy tears streaming from Canvas’ eyes.

“Thank you, Twilight. It is all thanks to you. You gave me this chance.”

After a few moments Lightning Dust cleared her throat. “Um, sorry to break the moment, but we should probably go through. Somepony could come and catch us.”

“Uh right. Just a moment.” Twilight walked to the cans of paints and bottles of bleach stored around the walls, lifted them with her magic and started pouring their contents around.

“What are you doing, Twilight?!” Canvas exclaimed and rushed to stop Twilight from wreaking havoc to her workplace. “Why are you making such mess?!”

“This mustn’t be ever found, Canvas. Can you imagine if somepony happened upon your creation? They could enter and leave Elysium at will! That’s why this place must burn after we enter Elysium.” The crestfallen look on Canvas’ face was breaking Twilight’s heart, but there was more she needed to say. “Also, we,” she gestured to the other mares, “are all either missing, or explained our absence somehow. You are the only one remaining. That’s why the moment you enter Elysium is also the moment you die for the world.”

Canvas seemed deep in thought and not particularly happy with the development. “You will get a chance to create even better paintings, promise. And we will build a new life for all of us when this is over, ok?” Canvas merely nodded, Ditzy leading her back to the others and draping a wing across her back for comfort.

Once Twilight finished the preparation of the arson, she assumed her position next to the others and looked them over. “So are we ready?” Earning a series of nods, everypony too nervous to speak up, she gestured to the cans with her hoof. “Who will do it?”

“Allow me,” Sunset said and lit her horn. A small butterfly formed of fire flew through the dark space, circled for a few seconds and then landed on one of the pools of bleach. It instantly combusted and the fire started to spread.

“No way back now,” Twilight stated. “Well, we are in it together, so I am not afraid. Onward.” On the command they all stepped forward at the same time, blaze illuminating them from behind, and with a various degree of smiles they passed through the gate. Where The Gate of Elysium once stood, there was soon nothing but a smoldering hell.


Spike and the rest of Twilight’s former friends approached the library, noticing that it now was no longer surrounded by the pink barrier with which Twilight barricaded herself the past days.

“Wait right here, I’ma go get Twilight. Or try to at least,” Spike said unsure of himself.

The mares nodded as their young dragon companion carefully opened the door and walked inside. As anxious as they all were, they were determined to get their friend back and were prepared to move mountains if they had to.

“Ah hope this works, girls. Ah just don’t know if Ah can forgive myself for what we did,’ Applejack said grimly.

“We have to try,” Rarity responded with a sad, but hopeful expression.

The mares waited for several minutes and they were starting to get more worried. Not because of how long it was taking for Spike to get back, they expected resistance, but because of how quiet it was other than the sound of the wind gently blowing through the leaves of the tree. It was too quiet and they didn’t even see any second floor lights from the windows outside, indicating that nopony was up there. It wasn’t until fifteen whole minutes passed that Spike sluggishly walked out of the library with the most forlorn look on his face and a parchment in his right claw. His eyes looked red, as though he had been crying recently even though his actual face was dry.

“S-Spike…?” Rarity said concerned as she gently approached him. “Are… Are you alright?”

Spike looked up at his crush’s face, who saw more tears starting to form as he breathed heavily. He said nothing and only held out the parchment as he hung his head low to avoid eye contact; it was clear from the small wet spots on the ground under him that he was crying.

Rarity took the parchment with her magic and started reading it. Once she was finished, her heart sunk.

“She’s….” Spike mumbled.

“Dear… I-”

“SHE’S GONE! I left her all alone and now she is gone! It’s all because of you! If I hadn’t helped with your stupid party, I could’ve been there for her!”

The girls were taken aback by this, especially Rarity who was standing nearest to him when he shouted.

“Spike-”

“No! I don’t wanna talk to you anymore! You’ve cause enough damage! Just go away!” Spike angrily shouted as he swiped the letter back and stormed back to the library, slamming the door and locking it behind him.

He clutched the gemstone he found on the letter and pressed it to his chest. Not bothering to move upstairs he rolled to a ball on the floor by the table and continued his crying.

“Twilight… Why did you do this to me… Why wasn’t I here… Please Twilight…”

Yet nopony answered to his pleas and he slowly drifted to sleep.