• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 10,943 Views, 440 Comments

Dark Spectrum: Public Enemy - Bootsy Slickmane



Everything fell apart for Rainbow Dash after the Mare Do Well incident. Bent on vengeance and driven by her raw emotions, Rainbow Dash becomes a villain that Ponyville won't soon forget.

  • ...
31
 440
 10,943

Chapter 8: Vengeance

Dark Spectrum scanned the streets, hovering some distance above Ponyville. Tonight was the night. She was going to find those five ponies and she was going to crush them like they'd crushed her ego, her reputation, and even her dreams of becoming a Wonderbolt. If they were too afraid to come to her, then she'd just have to come to them. Earlier, she'd wanted to humiliate them like they had done to her, but now there was only one thought on her mind: destroying them. Completely, and utterly destroying them.

It didn't take long for her to spot them as they traveled north along 10th street. They were right on the edge of the city and looked to be headed for the train station. Trying to run away? They were even bigger cowards than Spectrum had thought.

She moved closer to the station, slowing to a hover directly above the platform. The five's timing was fairly good, as there was a train coming in not too far away. There wasn't much time, then. No time for pithy one-liners or grand speeches. No time to truly make them suffer.

Spectrum thought for a moment as she watched the five below her, who hadn't brought any luggage. It was five-to-one and she knew that most of them could hold their own in a fight. But it wasn't going to be a fight. She wasn't going to give them half a chance to fight. She was the fastest pony in Equestria, and tonight she would prove it to all five of them. She had held back with Spitfire, but these five would receive no such mercy.

Dark Spectrum flapped her wings once and then pulled them close as she pitched forward and fell into a dive. It was a move she'd pulled countless times before, though there was one difference this time. As she approached the ground, she spread her wings and brought her hooves into position. This was it. There wouldn't be any time for hesitation once she hit. It was now or never. Time for Dark Spectrum to do what Rainbow never could have: take revenge on her former friends.

Time for Mare Do Well to die, once and for all.

Spectrum landed right on Applejack's back, smashing the orange pony down into the wooden platform with a sickening crunch. She didn't even have time to scream, nor did Twilight have time to finish her gasp of surprise before Spectrum reared up, spreading her forelegs out and swinging at the two unicorns. Spectrum only gave a brief wince as her blades slashed through the pair of throats, and she twisted around to follow up with a quick buck to Twilight's jaw. The purple unicorn's head snapped back with a crack and her limp body went tumbling end-over-end through the window of the ticket office.

With a white hoof to her slashed neck, Rarity was turning away as Spectrum's back hooves reached the platform again. She reached out, bit down on Rarity's tail, twisted around in a half-spin, and hurled Rarity over the platform with a growl. Pinkie was already galloping for the ticket office when Rarity's body wrapped around one of the nearby pillars with a cracking sound. Spectrum leapt after the pink pony, spreading her wings and holding her hooves out. Her blades dug into the back of Pinkie's neck, and the Earth pony collapsed, sliding limply across the platform.

Dark Spectrum turned to the last remaining of the traitors as Pinkie's body slid to a stop beneath her. It was the last pony she ever would have expected to betray her, and one of Rainbow's oldest friends. To her great surprise, Fluttershy wasn't cowering in fear or running away. Instead, the yellow pegasus was diving across the platform at her. On instinct, Spectrum flipped backward and performed a hoof-spring, kicking out with her hind legs and knocking Fluttershy into the air. Spectrum hit the platform with her back hooves and launched upward, grabbing the other pegasus and dropping back toward the ground. She slammed Fluttershy into the platform floor, shattering the wooden boards with one final crash.

All was still at the train station as Spectrum stared down at her last victim, panting slightly from the exertion of taking down five ponies in ten seconds. A cursory glance around the platform told her that nopony else was moving. Six ponies and only one of them left standing. She'd done it. It was over. She'd killed her friends. Vengeance was hers. She smiled as she stepped away from Fluttershy's body, stumbling slightly as she walked on her trembling hooves.

She stopped at the edge of the platform, still panting through her clenched teeth as she stared out toward Canterlot. It had been a long and hard journey, but now it was over. What she'd expected to be easy had been hard, and what she'd expected to be hard had been easy. It had taken a lot longer than she'd thought it would, proving just how cowardly her five ex-friends had been, but now it was done. Dark Spectrum's goal was complete, and her purpose fulfilled... but then why did she feel hollow instead of awesome?

No, no. Dark Spectrum was just a costume, a fictional character designed to shift the responsibility onto somepony else so Rainbow didn't have to think about the terrible things she did. It wasn't Dark Spectrum that felt hollow, it was Rainbow Dash.

She slid her goggles down onto her neck, followed by her mask. Her victorious smile was as dead as her dreams, her career, and her best friends. This was what she had wanted, wasn't it? To destroy the five ponies who had ruined her only a week prior? It had become her all-consuming goal in what was left of her life. And yet, now that it was done, she didn't feel satisfied. She didn't feel happy, or fulfilled, or even angry anymore. So what did she feel? Could it be...?

It was.

Regret. They may have ruined her reputation and crushed her very soul, but they'd still been her friends at one time. They'd stood by her even when she had been a jerk to them. They'd forgiven her whenever she'd accidentally broken their stuff after screwing up a stunt. They'd supported her, they'd laughed with her, they'd loved her. Now they were nothing. Any chance at reconciliation was dead, just like them.

What had possessed them to go and smash her life to pieces like that? Why couldn't they just talk to her about her ego? Looking back on things, she really had been out of control. Heck, she had let a pony plummet in a ruptured hot air balloon just so she could spend a few more seconds signing autographs. Why couldn't they just go, "Hey Rainbow, could you tone it down a bit? You're kinda letting this whole hero thing go to your head." Rainbow was sure she would have listened to them. They were her best friends.... Were.

But, hey, Dark Spectrum had proven she was better than Mare Do Well, right? She'd beaten all the other Elements of Harmony without breaking a sweat. That had to be a first, right? She was the most awesome villain in Ponyville, and maybe even all of Equestria. She sure was awesome, alright.

"So... awesome...." Dash's voice cracked, her vision starting to blur from the liquid building in her eyes as it hit her: it was really over; she'd killed her friends. Her quivering legs gave out beneath her, and she fell onto her rump, shoulders sagging and muzzle pointed at the wooden boards of the platform. She grit her teeth, fighting herself for control as she heaved a few times, just as she had done countless times over the last week. This time, however, she was unable to win, and the tears poured from her eyes and onto the station platform, accompanied by the tiny squeaks and whimpers of a broken mare. She cried for her friends, who'd lost their lives. She cried for Spike, who'd just lost everypony close to him. But most of all, she cried for Rainbow Dash, who'd lost everything that was ever special to her, most of all herself.

"I... I'm sorry...." They were words she rarely uttered, and it was much too late, but she didn't know what else to say. Nothing she could ever do could make up for what she'd done. The damage she'd caused, the ponies she'd hurt, the lives she brought to an untimely end. "I'm sorry," she sobbed, turning toward Fluttershy's lifeless body. "I'm so... wha... what the heck?"

Her sorrow was pushed aside by confusion as she stared at the black, pony-shaped creature lying among the broken boards of the station platform. Rainbow stood up, drawing closer to the thing as tears continued to mat the fur on her face. The creature looked like some unholy mix between a pony and a bug monster. It had both a stubby little horn and a pair of insectoid wings, like some twisted, nightmarish version of a little alicorn.

She'd never seen anything like it before, but one thing was for certain: it was most definitely not Fluttershy.

The sound of screeching metal brought Rainbow's attention away from the creature. The train she'd spotted earlier had finally arrived. Rainbow figured she should run, but her hooves preferred to keep her rooted to the spot as the train's doors opened.

"Ah, it's good to be back in Ponyville, isn't it girls?" Rainbow knew that voice, and turned to the source. It sounded just like....

"Rainbow Dash, is that you? How did you get onto the platform so fast? And what're you wearing?" Twilight Sparkle stepped onto the platform, looking slightly confused. She didn't look anywhere near as confused as Dash herself, who was staring in raw shock at the five ponies she'd just murdered a matter of minutes ago, all five of them looking perfectly normal.