• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 3,386 Views, 152 Comments

Sins of the Ancients - Tundara



Adventure with Twilight finding her way home from another world.

  • ...
11
 152
 3,386

Chapter One: The Red Eyes

Sins of the Ancients

Chapter One: The Red Eyes

"Beneath eyes of blood falls the first blow,
A great evil stealing into the land of Sun and Moon."
-From the Prophecy of the Purple Wizard

Red and purple lightning clashed, arcs of energy sent across the town square and cafe, small sickly green fires bursting from everything they touched. An un-natural wind twisted the clouds above the town square, echoes of the lightning splintering the morning sky. The small tails of tornados began to descend from the cloud bottoms as the citizens of Ponyville ran for shelter. And at the center, gripped in the growing maelstrom, hovered the towns librarian and resident scholar of magic; Twilight Sparkle.

The purple mare threw back her head unleashing an unearthly scream as tables and hay-stack seats were picked up in the wind and hurled away. Lightning flashed and thundered faster and faster as the red-purple aura around the mare grew. Releasing a second scream, a pulse of pure force smashed across the town, cracking walls and hurling back anything not strongly secured.


Still screaming, white wispy strands of mist leaked from Twilight’s mouth, eyes, and ears contrasting against the flair of her magic.


"Twilight!" shouted a white unicorn, Rarity, her voice drowned in the raging magical storm.

The amount of power rolling off Twilight was almost overpowering Rarity's senses. Coalescing above Twilight the white strands become a face, a face unlike anything Rarity had ever seen. In it she saw malice and hatred of such scope and scale she thought for a moment that just looking into those dark red eyes would be her own death. It was like staring into the source of all evil. Not even Nightmare Moon’s eyes had been filled with such contempt and loathing.

The tempest continued to grow, throwing magic in all directions. Cold gripped the heart of Ponyville, banishing the warmth of the early summer day and plunging it into the depths of winter. For a long moment the face above Twilight stared out across the village, and then, with a piercing moan, was swept away by the wind.

Abruptly as it began, the storm began to fade, Twilight's scream descending into a long agonised howl as the wind faded away. The air grew still, the clouds parted, the lightning vanished, and Twilight descended onto the shattered cobblestones unconsciousness.

Rarity looked up from where she had been slammed into the wall. Her ears rang, blocking out her own voice as she called to her friend and for some pony to help. Struggling to her feet, Rarity limped over to Twilight terrified of what she’d find. Her breath misted in the air, still chilly from the sudden plunge in temperature despite the return of the warming Sun. Rarity noticed frost clinging to the exposed legs of tables as she reached her friend. Rolling the unconscious unicorn over Rarity let out a sigh of relief at the slow shallow breaths her friend took.

“You’re alive, thank Celestia, you’re alive,” Rarity wept, collapsing beside Twilight, drained from shielding herself from the magical storm.

* * *

Rarity sat uncomfortably on a bench in Ponyville’s new hospital. She hadn’t been in it since Rainbow Dash had broken her wing some months ago and forgotten the smell of antibiotics, cleaners, and illness that permeated every pore of the building. It was still a vast improvement over the tents that Ponyville had been using while the hospital was being constructed.

To her left sat the cyan Pegasus, a Daring Do book in her hooves. Rainbow hadn’t moved much since she had arrived, having found Fluttershy and telling the other Pegasus to find Applejack before making a rainbow streak across the sky to the hospital. Rarity knew that Rainbow Dash was deep in thought. The Pegasus hadn’t flipped a page of the book in over an hour. On Rarity’s right was Pinkie Pie; the party pony was giggling and making faces at a couple of sad fillies, ever trying to bring light and laughter to those around her. Her antics seemed to work as the fillies finally broke into crooked, strained smiles. It was enough to make Pinkie Pie turn her attention back to Rarity.

“What do you think is wrong with her?” Pinkie said looking down the hall where their friend had been taken.

Sighing Rarity closed her eyes trying not to think about what had happened. It was a futile effort. As she had for Rainbow Dash, Rarity explained what had happened, her voice dull and flat with little of its normal airs.

“Twi’ and I were having our normal get together at the cafe. She was looking a little stressed and I told her as much. We ordered our normal chamomile tea and had nearly finished when she gave out a hideous shriek. I’ve... I’ve never heard anything like it.” Rarity shuddered, still hearing the haunting sound and seeing the terror and pain flooding her friend’s eyes. “There was a burst of magic from her that knocked me and everypony nearby back. A second burst tossed poor Twilight into the street. Naturally I rushed over to Twilight but she was unconscious. For a moment I... I... feared she was dead.”

Rarity had to stop speaking for her body was shaking violently at the memory. Behind her closed eyes she could again see the terrible events replay themselves.

Rarity had decided that, other than the doctors and Celestia, she'd keep the eyes to herself. She didn't want to worry her friends any more than needed.

She looked up as the hospital doors swung open revealing the last two missing friends. Fluttershy was little more than a yellow and pink blob slinking behind the proud but worried strides of Applejack. The farmer hurried over to where her friends sat. Predictably her first question was to ask what had happened. Rarity sighed relaying the story again. When she was done, Applejack sat down roughly on her haunches slack jawed, while Fluttershy gave a barely audible whimper.

“Have the docs’ said anything yet? Ah can’t imagine what’s taken ‘em so long...” Applejack’s voice trailed off as she looked deeper into the hospital.

Rarity just shook her head staring at the floor tiles.

Spike was the last to arrive, the little dragon’s tail dragging as he ran through the doors. He stopped just short of the cluster of mares gripping has side and muttering to himself about laying off the rubies. While one of the first informed of what had happened, he had been slow to arrive having made sure that the library was properly closed and a letter was sent to Celestia. Although there was little to report beyond that Twilight had been involved in some sort of magical explosion, Spike knew the Princess would want to be informed. Twilight on the other hoof would probably moan about disturbing the Princess.

Rarity was drawn from her thoughts by the tap of hooves on tile. Lifting her head she watched Nurse Redheart approach then stop in front of the mare and two fillies. Rarity politely tuned out what the nurse said, a lady did not eavesdrop; although, she could see the news was good as the fillies gave beaming smiles and the mare relaxed letting out a sniff and smile. They were brought deeper into the hospital leaving only the Elements of Harmony and Spike in the waiting room.

The room was mostly silent then except for the tick-tock of the clock. Several more minutes passed. Applejack and Pinkie started talking in a hushed whisper. Rarity didn’t pay them much attention, focusing on the red eyes that filled her memory.

That’s all she saw, the white wisps gathering, forming a dread face, and those eyes. Those terrible hate filled eyes that flayed the soul with a glance promising death and suffering. Deep pools of evil that seemed to stretch on forever.

“Are yah alright, sugar-cube?” Applejack’s voice brought Rarity back to the hospital waiting room.

Heart beating a wild staccato in her chest, Rarity could hear that she had started to hyperventilate. Taking a deep breath she felt her heart start to calm. Forcing a smile she looked over to the farmer and with as much positivity as she could Rarity said, “Yes, darling, I’m fine. Just... worried for Twilight.”

She didn’t want the other’s to know about the face and eyes. If Rarity could she would spare them the nightmare’s she was certain would be haunting her nights for some time. Giving a little shudder she said again, “it was just such a shock, darling.”

“Yah sure now... ‘Cause yah don’t look so good yourself...” Applejack’s voice trailed off as Rarity’s eyes widened.

Throwing a hoof to her hair, Rarity gave a strangled gasp like that of a meadowlark that had been singing and then forcibly gagged.

“Oh my, I must look a terrible mess,” Rarity moaned. Closing her eyes she cast a small spell. A small light blue aura surrounded her for a moment tidying her mane and brushing her coat. It wasn’t nearly as effective as a day in the spa or using her proper combs back home but it would suffice, “I suppose that will have to do.”

Applejack shook her head.

"That wasn't what Ah meant, Rarity."

Pursing her lips, Rarity raised her head letting out a small indignant huff.

Wishing Celestia could come to the hospital, Rarity once more retreated into her own thoughts. She wanted to share all that had happened. Rarity knew what she really wanted was comfort, or for some pony to assuage her fears and tell her that she had only been seeing things. The only ponies who could speak with authority that had any hope of cracking the dark memories were half a day away in Canterlot. Besides, Rarity knew what she saw and while she wanted it to be nothing more than her imagination, her cold certainty was much stronger.

She had been considering what to say for too long Rarity realised belatedly. Applejack had been watching her the whole time. Her mind tossed and turned between the event at the cafe and what to say, if anything, her thoughts dancing around what was best for her friends. They'd worry either way, but at least she could keep some of it to a minimum. For now at least. In time, when Twilight was awake, Rarity would describe everything she saw to both her and Princess Celestia. Until then half-truths and white lies would have to suffice.

Decision made, Rarity opened her mouth to speak. Before she could one of the nurses came into the waiting room.

"Miss Sparkle is awake now. She is a bit disoriented, confused and seems to have some memory loss but..."

The nurse's voice trailed off as a pink form tore past her almost fast enough to create a sonicpinkieboom. Blinking their eyes at the spectacle the remaining four mares and dragon were on their feet and out of the room not waiting for the remainder of the nurse’s explanation.

Alone in the waiting room the nurse, dumfounded, continued the rest of her prepared speech, "she seems physically fine and the doctor says you can visit her now. Right? Good."

Rarity was the last to enter the room. Pinkie bounced in circles a little to one side of the room while Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash sat down on the opposite side of the bed. Rarity followed Spike to the bed’s foot, to their left Doctor Splint, one of the new doctors at the hospital, stood looking at an X-ray of Twilight's head.

"Ah, the famed Element's of Harmony," the grey unicorn doctor said, slipping the X-ray into a manila folder and looking over at the assembled mares and dragon. There was no sarcasm or malice in the doctor's voice but rather a tint of awe and respect, "It's a pleasure to meet mares of such quality and courage."

"Aw shucks Doc', we ain't nothin' special like," Applejack said.

Fluttershy squeaked agreement half hiding her face behind a lock of pink hair.

The doctor clearly wanted to say more but Rarity interjected first. She would be one of the first to bask in the adorations of fans, tied or perhaps second only to Rainbow Dash, but there was a more pressing issue.

Fatigue and frustration clearly in her voice, Rarity said, "Never mind that, tell us about Twilight! How is she? What's wrong with her? Nurse Tenderheart mentioned memory loss..."

From her bed Twilight looked at the mares surrounding her, eyes resting on each for a moment before stopping on the bouncing Pinkie Pie. She was wearing one of the garish olive slips hospitals across Equestria insisted on using. Rarity's mind recoiled a little at how it clashed with Twilight's lavender fur. The only evidence of the event at the cafe was a short area that had been shaved above Twilight's right eye revealing a small cut held closed by three stitches. Otherwise the unicorn looked unharmed.

"Hello everyone," Twilight said flashing a wide smile and raising a hoof to wave. "So, who are all you, uh, ponies?"

"What do you mean silly-McSiller-sin?" Pinkie asked stopping mid bounce and hanging for two impossible seconds in the air before dropping to the floor. Pinkie's ears went flush to her head as she whispered, "don't you recognise us?" Rarity noted the desperate pleading tone in the party pony's voice.

Twilight blinked once and gave a slow rolling bubbling giggle-laugh. "Nope. Not a-one of you. Actually, I can't remember much of anything..." A long drawn out moment of silence passed as the six friends all shared the same deeply concerned look before Twilight continued, "But I'm not too worried. I am sure everything will come back in no time at all. That's what usually happens with amnesia," Twilight's voice faltered for a moment as she looked at the doctor, "right?"

"Usually. Amnesia is extremely rare outside of head trauma or diseases like Alzheimer’s. There doesn't seem to be any head trauma and given the nature of the accident I am more inclined to believe your memory loss is magically related. I am not versed in magical memory loss. Frankly you probably know or knew more about this sort of thing than I do."

The doctor shook his slate mane, uncertainty showing across his broad face.

"But she will get better, right doc?" Rainbow Dash asked, her own fear evident on her face and in her voice.

"Like I said, I am not versed in magical memory loss. Honestly it is anypony's guess."

Twilight laughed again that odd bubbly giggle-laugh. "Oh, I am not worried. It'll all work itself out. Now, why don't we get out of this bed and I can go home."

As if to prove she was fine, Twilight swept the covers aside and before anypony could restrain her, rolled off the bed and onto her hooves. For a moment she wobbled, took a half step and paused looking down at her front hooves a frown growing.

"Now, Miss Sparkle I must insist that you return to bed immediately!"

Twilight ignored the doctor taking first one tentative step, then another. She paused for a moment looking behind her at her back legs, her frown deepening. She muttered something under her breath that to Rarity sounded like 'how do they walk' but she couldn't be certain. Everyone watched in fascination as Twilight moved and stretched her legs for several minutes. The doctor protested several times but Twilight smiled and shushed him each time.

"Okay, I have this now," Twilight said with no small amount of triumph in her voice as she very slowly walked towards the door.

"Are yah sure you shouldn't get some rest, Sugarcube?" Applejack asked finally breaking the silence the friends had been in while watching Twilight.

"Yeah, right as rain!" Twilight said flashing a large smile. "One foot in front of the other and before you know it you're walking."

"Uh-huh..." Applejack said clearly not convinced. “Ah see what the nurse meant about Twi’ being disoriented,” she added just loud enough for those near to hear.

Neither was Rarity convinced. She knew what she had seen in the cafe. Coupled with Twilight's amnesia, Rarity wanted nothing more for her dear friend to stay in bed until someone more experienced in magic could arrive. With luck it'd be Princess Celestia, but there were many learned unicorn's that perhaps could help.

"T-Twilight, maybe you s-should stay in bed and wait for the P-Princess," Fluttershy said, her voice hesitant but louder than its usual whisper.

"Yeah Twi. I already sent a letter to Princess Celestia so if that's why you're pushing-"

Spike was stopped cold as Twilight arched an eyebrow and asked something no pony ever thought to hear from Twilight.

"Princess who? Why would a Princess care about me?"

Six jaws dropped as one. Rarity saw clearly in her mind’s eye the white face and red eyes again staring down on Twilight beneath it in a storm of raging magic. What had that thing been to make Twilight forget about her mentor? Rarity was more certain than ever that her friend should stay in bed.

"Yah don't know who Princess Celestia is Sugarcube?"

"Pony-feathers, of course she remembers the Princess! Everypony knows the Princess! Twi's just pulling our legs... Right Twi?" Desperation filled Rainbow Dash's voice.

Rarity wanted to believe what Rainbow was saying but in her gut she knew better. Something was very wrong with Twilight if she didn't remember the Princess. Twilight seemed to realise her error, eyes growing wide then narrowing. She gave off another of those absurd bubbly laughs as she reached a hoof up behind her head.

"Of course I do," Twilight smiled, "gotcha. The Princess is," a pause, barely perceptible, "my teacher."

Blinking Rarity found herself almost believing Twilight in spite of that pause. The Twilight she knew was one of the worst liars in Equestria. Applejack under Discord's curse had been a guru of lies compared to Twilight at her best. There were none of Twilight’s normal tells; no sheepish grin or nervous laugh desperate to be believed. Rarity found a frown forming on her face as she looked over at Applejack. The orange Earth pony also looked sceptical. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both looked relieved.

"Okie-dokey-lokie!" Pinkie laughed, bouncing a couple times again, "You are a good joker Twilight. Had me going for a moment there. I was all, 'Oh noes, Twi doesn't even know Princess Celestia who was practically a second mother to her!' and then you were all 'the Princess is my teacher' which you wouldn't know if you had forgotten everything so you can't have forgotten eeeeeeeverything. Just us. Which is sad. But we'll get you remembering in no time! Ooo, you know what this calls for?"

Rarity put a hoof on the bouncing pink pony. Pinkie stopped bouncing and looked over her shoulder at her friend tilting her head at almost a right angle.

Giving her best 'you're being too 'Pinkie', Pinkie' look Rarity said, "I don't think a party is a good idea right now, Darling. Twilight could use her rest. Hopefully Princess Celestia will know what to do to help clear the amnesia."

"But maybe a ‘Remember Us, Twilight?' party will help her remember?" Pinkie looked at her friends and then gave a long deflated sigh, "Fine, no party. For now."

It was the best they'd get Rarity knew. The doctor seemed to have given up on trying to keep Twilight in bed. Physically she was fine, if a touch unstable on her feet. There was nothing the hospital could do for her amnesia. The doctor had even admitted that familiar surroundings often helped amnesia patient recover faster. After getting Twilight to promise to take things easy and return to the Hospital if her symptoms worsened, the doctor released her.

Twilight left the hospital, her head held high surrounded by the friends she couldn't remember. They all offered to walk her home. Twilight didn't protest and walked slowly along the town’s outskirts. Around her was a babble of conversation from Pinkie and Rainbow Dash.

Both had latched onto the familiar surroundings idea and were pointing to every building or location where something interesting had happened to the group of friends. Topics ranged from Twilight soothing an Ursa Minor to the time Pinkie had Pied Piper Parasprites from Ponyville. They stopped in front of Carousel Boutique and the Cake’s Bakery for a couple minutes at each location before continuing.

The trip was further slowed by being stopped several times by other curious or concerned ponies. Derpy had been one of the first, the poor wall eyed mail-mare almost crashing into the group like a bowling bowl into a set of pins. At the last moment she had managed to arrest her decent in a move that had mildly impressed even Rainbow Dash. The grey Pegasus gave her best wishes to Twilight, along with several cards for the unicorn she had been on her way to deliver to the hospital, before leaping back into the sky her blonde mane and tail whipping behind her in the wind. Bon-bon, Rose, Cheerilee, and several others Rarity recalled seeing around town but not their names all stopped to say hello. Even the mayor on seeing Twilight had dashed over to get a first hoof accounting of what had happened to one of Ponyville’s most important citizens.

Rarity and Applejack both noticed that the mayor’s praise hadn’t seemed to either phase or particularly surprise Twilight. Normally Twilight would have blushed and protested. Twilight really had too much humility, Rarity often thought. That trait wasn’t in evidence as they made the final leg towards Twilight’s home.

While they had been walking, Rarity had been keeping a keen discerning eye on her friend. Twilight had stumbled a few times but was propped up immediately by either Applejack or Rainbow Dash, the two athletic ponies flanking the unsteady unicorn. It bothered Rarity about how Twilight seemed to trip over her own hooves. But by the time they reached the large hollow tree that was the town's library and Twilight's home in Ponyville the lavender unicorn had not stumbled for several minutes. There was a confidence in her stride that made Rarity hope things would soon be back to normal.

In front of the library sat a large white and golden chariot making the group halt. On either side of the library's door was a Pegasus guard white coats gleaming in the late afternoon sun almost as much as the golden armour they wore. Rarity felt her stomach clench as the group made the final few steps to the library door.

"Greetings, sirs," Rarity said as she was in the lead, "is the Princess with you, or are you here to retrieve Twilight?"

The guards didn't blink.

"Right, I see," Rarity groused, using her magic to open the door half expecting the guards to stop her.

The guards stood silent and still as statues as the Elements of Harmony and baby dragon entered the library. What greeted them wasn't the pearly white alicorn monarch-goddess Rarity expected, rather the midnight-blue of Celestia's younger sister.

Princess Luna sat on a couch, a thick book gripped in her soft blue magic floating in the air before her. On the table in front of her rested a pot of tea, small tendrils of steam curling from its spout. Red cushions had been arranged around the walls. Twilight normally kept them stored in a cupboard Rarity recalled as she moved to one side to let her friends into the library's main room. All eight of them managed to fit with a little room to spare. Luna snapped the book closed and gently returned it to one of the bookshelves that lined every available wall.

Fluttering her wings, the Princess stood giving the assembled ponies a polite nod each. Holding back a gasp of delight at seeing the Moon Princess, Rarity dipped into a deep bow her eyes falling to the floor. Her ears swiveled at the sound of her friends mimicking the motion. Opening an eye Rarity saw with a small sigh of satisfaction that the others had all stooped into a bow. All except Twilight, who sat her mouth hanging slightly open gaping at Luna. Blinking, Twilight shook her head and then gave a quick bow herself.

"Princess," the lavender unicorn said as she raised herself from her short bow.

"Twilight Sparkle, it delights us to see you are here unharmed. We rushed to Ponyville the moment we received Spike’s letter. We wished to see you at the hospital but our sister deemed it wiser to wait here instead of causing a scene. She wishes us to convey her regrets that she could not come herself, but alas, recent events in Canterlot prevent her from leaving the palace.”

"Oh, that's quite alright," Twilight said waving a hoof. "I'm fine. Or will be with some sleep. I really don't need everyone to be so worried about me."

Luna blinked twice head tilted back at Twilight's dismissive tone. Rarity shared a concerned glance with Applejack. Memory loss aside Twilight wasn't acting at all like her usual self. Twilight was already heading towards the stairs that lead to the bedrooms on the second floor either not noticing or not caring about the looks her friends and Princess Luna were sharing.

“Is that why you came in Celestia’s carriage and not your own?” Rarity asked looking over her shoulder at the guards that could be seen through the open door.

“Ah, that was also our sister’s idea.” Luna frowned ever so slightly at the guards and carriage before closing the door with a snap of her magic. “We wish to speak with Twilight Sparkle, and about the event this morning.”

“Yes yes, of course,” Rarity said wincing at her own voice as it was sharper than intended. None of the others seemed to notice thankfully.

"Thank you for coming, but I really am fine."

Twilight stopped at the foot of the stairs turning around to face the collected mares and dragon behind her. She flashed a wide confident smile and looked around the library.

"You are not fine, Darling," Rarity snapped, the stress and tension of the day finally getting the better of her temper. "We are worried and have no idea what happened to you! You can't even remember us!"

"Sure I do, Rarity."

Rarity stopped mid-tirade, blinking as she was brought up short. She didn't recall telling Twilight her name since being informed the lavender unicorn was suffering from amnesia. Twilight so far hadn't even asked for any of their names, Rarity realised. Her friend was being so infuriatingly calm about everything. It wasn't like the normally tightly wound unicorn at all. All the others seemed to be having similar thoughts. Then again maybe Twilight's amnesia was passing.

“And that’s Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow, Applejack, and Spike.”

"Okay then, yah remember our names, but what abou’ the Princess’?" Applejack said her eyes narrow slits and taking a step toward Twilight.

"What?" Twilight asked blinking and taking a step back as Applejack continued to advance.

"Yah heard me."

Swallowing a lump, Twilight backed against the stairs sitting down roughly as her front hooves continued while her rear ones pressed against the bottom step.

"Come on silly. Twi's just not feeling well and her memory is all fuzzy-wuzzy topsy-turvy! But the Princess can have that fixed in a jiffy and we can have a 'Glad You Remember Us!' party!" Pinkie had thrown a hoof around Applejack’s shoulder. “I’m sure the Princess can go all Zap-Poof and restore Twilight to her old book-wormy self.”

“It is a... possibility. We have seen the spell Twilight crafted to restore all your memories during the battle with Discord. First we would like to see if there are any other effects from this morning’s incident before attempting the spell. But in theory it should not prove to be difficult for us.”

"That won’t be necessary, honest." Twilight said raising a hoof up to ward off the apple farmer and Princess Luna. Applejack gave a little grunt as Rainbow Dash bit onto her tail and pulled the earth pony back. Relaxing a little Twilight turned to Luna and asked, "Sure, I am having some memory issues, but I am certain that it'll all be sorted out in no time. Isn't that right, Princess? No need to go poking around in my mind after it’s already been tumbled about once today."

Princess Luna didn't respond instead just tilted her head and gave a single slow nod.

"Now, if that's all settled I think I should get to bed and tomorrow start researching. This has been a long day for everyone." Twilight gave a short yawn as punctuation before promptly turning and marching up the stairs before any of the others could stop her.

When Twilight was gone, Luna turned to the gathering and gestured that they should step outside. With the sun slowly descending behind her, Luna looked so regal and majestic Rarity mused. The Princesses mane flowing into the growing dusk shimmered hinting at the beauty of the night. She had regretted missing last year’s Nightmare Night and seeing the princess again.

"We wish we could stay longer to help Twilight Sparkle in these trying times. She has helped us immeasurably defeating the Nightmare and assisting us integrate with modern pony society. Alas, that events in Canterlot dictate we cannot stay longer. If only she would let us use her memory restoration spell now. Still, Twilight’s concerns are valid about so soon again tampering with her memories after they’ve been affected once today. It is wise to give her time to recover some strength. The mind is both extremely resilient and fragile."

"Ah don't know, Twilight ain't acting very Twilighty if'n yah get mah meaning," Applejack sighed kicking a loose stone.

"Tell me about it," grumbled spike crossing his stubby arms.

Fluttershy and Pinkie both shook their heads, the yellow pegasus saying, "Oh, I don't know Applejack. I think she handled things rather well."

"Exactly. She didn't freak out or nothin' the entire time. Now, could jus' be the memory loss like Pinkie said, but Ah feel like there is more tah it then that. The Twilight I know wouldn't have gone tah bed at a time like this but started hitting ‘em books and making a counter spell or something. It jus' ain't normal is all."

Rarity remained silent, her mind on the events of that morning in the cafe.

"Of course it isn’t normal AJ," Dash said rolling her eyes. "Twi's always been freaky powerful with her magic. Who knows what she did to herself."

"Yes, this magical explosion. We wish to know more about it. Who of you saw the event transpire?"

All eyes shifted to Rarity drawing her mind back to the present and away from the eyes of evil blood. Frowning Rarity found her stomach convulse as she looked into the eyes of five of her closest friends and Princess Luna. She still didn't want the others to know about what she had seen. But Princess Luna perhaps would know what had happened and be able to fix things.

"I-I saw... a face," Rarity began her voice quivering in barely contained fear, "It pulled itself from Twilight as she was locked in the magical discharge as a white mist at first. After the first pulse knocked everyone at the cafe back it gathered above poor Twilight. She was screaming, oh how she was screaming, and then it looked at me. The eyes, I-I've never, ever, seen anything so hideous. It was a hundred times worse than you when you were Nightmare Moon, Princess Luna."

Rarity shuddered not daring to look up at the Princess as she recounted what she had seen. She felt a hoof touch her shoulder easing the shuddering. Turning her head Rarity blinked tears from her eyes. She hadn't realised she had started to cry. Pinkie was standing there a concerned look on her face. Their other three friends closed in placing Rarity in a group hug.

"Why didn't yah mention this before Sugarcube?"

"I-I didn't want all of you to worry," Rarity sniffled, wiping away another tear.

"We do not believe there is anything to be worried about."

Luna's voice broke the group hug apart. Clearing her throat the princess continued, "If we had to hazard a guess something tried to possess Twilight and she cast it out. This is but a supposition mind thou. We shall journey to this cafe and see if any trace of this entity thou describe remains. As for Twilight, continue to be there for her. She will need her friends we suspect over the next few days. Truly, we regret not being able to stay longer."

The five mares all protested the princesses words emphasizing that coming at all was more than what any had expected. Pinkie wanted to throw Luna a 'Thank You For Visiting' party that was quickly over-ruled. Deflating slightly Pinkie grumbled about not being able to have any parties.

"Then let us part ways for the time being. But first, we must raise our glorious moon," Luna's voice was airy and excited as her sister’s sun sank below the horizon behind her.

The five mares and baby dragon watched with rapt attention as Luna stepped back a pace and closed her eyes. Soft blue magic shimmered around her horn as the goddess of the Moon and the Night stood beneath the endless black canvass of the starless sky. The aura flowed down her body like a luminescent gown. From the cracks between her eyelids glowed a brilliant light. And then the moon rose, the perfect silvery orb sliding above the horizon as stars winked into life across the tapestry of the sky. Luna opened her eyes, the glow of magic leaving them, giving the five mares and baby dragon before her a wide smile.

"What dost thou say to that? Ha-ha!" the princess laughed stamping a triumphant hoof that made the ground tremble.

"That was simply beautiful," Rarity said to the enthusiastic nods of her friends. For the first time since the incident Rarity had forgotten all about the evil eyes. She blinked and a genuine heartfelt smile covered her face.

"We are glad," Luna said stepping up onto her sister’s carriage. The two guards had already hitched themselves to the yokes. "Remember, help Twilight and do not hesitate to send for either our self or our sister should the need arise," she said to the mares before adding to the guards, "to the cafe. There is something we must investigate before returning to Canterlot."

All five mares and one baby dragon watched the chariot pull into the air heading towards Ponyville's cafe until it vanished behind a building. They then all turned to each other, said their fare-wells, and headed off towards their homes.

Rarity made it all the way to the door of her boutique before the memories of the eyes returned. Shuddering she pushed the door open, walked upstairs and collapsed onto her bed forgoing her nightly bath or evening gown. Soon she was in a light fit-fall sleep, a sleep haunted by red eyes.