• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,186 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,186

Chapter 31: What the Rain Brings

While rain can be inhibiting to some, others find it peaceful. Such is often the case with winged ponies, who know much about how it works. Then again, knowledge isn't that needed if you simply enjoy the light patter of raindrops on a window.

Silk is one such pony, one ear primed towards the calm sound as she works.

With her being so aware of sounds, it's no surprise when she hears the front door close.

Looking up, she smiles as she spots the visitor. "You're lucky you have special permission to come in after hours."

"Doesn't matter if the store isn't open, yet." He chuckles, walking over and pecking her cheek. "Though I still don't know how you plan on managing a store and a restaurant."

She nuzzles her yellow drone affectionately. "I'm not. I'm training a manager for the restaurant. This will be my new job, well, along with this." She rubs her belly.

He raises an eyebrow, effortlessly moving her around so he has her back to his chest. A hoof rubs her belly gently. "I'm glad you're sure about all this... because I'm not... even if I get to see you in sexy outfits..."

She puts her hoof over his. "What part bothers you, hun? Is it the store?" She gestures around the interior. While not quite complete, it clearly is a sort of clothing store, with the focus being on more sensual clothing like lingerie.

"The fact that we're opening a store here in Ponyville." He raises a hoof, frowning quietly. "Not only the place where Rarity works, but also the apparent headquarters of PALS. Who aren't afraid to insult us to our faces."

"Rarity and I had a business chat the other day over tea." The Pegasus leans back, nuzzling under his chin. "While she tried to get me to come work for her, when I explained the kind of things I wanted to do, and that I would be my own boss, she understood. We settled on a mutually beneficial relationship. We have different specialties, so when a customer comes to us with a request the other could do better, we recommend them. She gets all the high society and formal wear, and I get all the sexy and bedroom wear."

He looks down at her, baffled. "...then who gets casual wear?"

"Mmm..." She pauses, thinking. "Depends on what it is, I suppose."

"Maternity dress?" He sticks his tongue out playfully.

She laughs lightly. "I think she would get day wear, I would get nightwear. You seem to like when I wear my work for the latter."

"That I do." He chuckles, tenderly nipping her ear. "And to think you started it off as a hobby."

She coos softly at his touch. "Yes... it's amazing what years of dabbling on the side and little repairs to the maid outfits can do."

"Funny, I thought you made them all." He smirks briefly before glancing around the store once more. "Why did we have to move here, though? Couldn't we just have had our house positioned above it?"

She smiles, explaining her logic to him. "We could have... but I feel like we can keep a few elements of a cloud house while moving the rest to the ground for practical reasons like our friends coming over."

"...okay?" His eyes drift over to the window, and he promptly tenses up. "...it's not a normal thing for ponies to peek into windows, is it?"

"For a store, it actually is." She opens her eyes to see what he sees. "They're probably curious about what kind of place it will be."

She finds a blushing mare with a prismatic mane staring right at them.

"...Silk, your legs are spread." He pushes on one to try and hide her from those rose-colored eyes.

She snorts, doing so even though grumbling. "Trying to get comfy..."

"While giving my boss a free show, it seems." He sticks his tongue out at her.

"Are you two comfy?" Her voice sounds muted through the glass. "Because I wanted to ask a few questions."

"Sure, come in!" Silk calls out, shifting so she's laying on her side.

Rainbow glances to the side, grimacing a bit. "...it might be better to come out here, actually."

Blowing a small raspberry, Silk gets to her hooves. "I wonder what this could be about... any ideas?"

"I don't know... I hope it's not more weather duty." He gently nuzzles her cheek, pressing against her to give some support.

Giggling at his touchiness, she smooches his cheek before they both head outside. Silk looks to the other mare expectantly.

She points to the front of the store, where a storm cloud is sitting, not yet activated. "That's not supposed to be there. Did you need it for some reason?"

The yellow mare frowns, shaking her head. "No, all the work left is on the interior."

Flick tilts his head to the side, frowning quietly. "...you didn't do anything with the outside today, did you?"

She shakes her head. "No, I'm planning on putting the sign up when everything is finished."

"...wait, so that's not our sign?"

The three of them look up at it, finally noticing what it says.

Changeling-Friendly Clothes Store

"...well, it's not exactly a lie..." He looks further down.

PALS Not Allowed

Silk coughs awkwardly. "I did briefly consider one saying that, but I decided to go with the honey instead of vinegar approach."

Rainbow nods, moving her head from side to side as if trying to pop her neck. "Alright, so... did you want me to remove it?"

She nods. "I don't really see why we would need a storm cloud, and I'm sure you can put it to good use." Silk also goes ahead and takes down the second sign.

The other pegasus nods and, gesturing to Flick for help, starts taking apart the cloud with him.

While they do so, Silk considers the primary sign. "Maybe a subtitle? Hmm... it may antagonize some ponies though..."

Flick tilts his head to one side, stopping beside her with a bit of dark cloud. "...how about 'caters to all species'?"

"That's much better, thank you." She beams at him as she takes the other sign down too.

"You realize you'll need to cater to everyone, right?" Rainbow elbows the drone, who grunts and gets back to getting rid of the cloud. "Not just changelings?"

"That's what he just said!" She calls to the other mare.

"Yeah, just get ready for diamond dogs and minotaurs!"

"Huh... that'd be quite interesting..." Silk taps her chin. "I might have to look up what other species find attractive so I can know where to focus my efforts."

Someone's breath tickles her ear. "And I could be your model."

She shivers, blushing and nodding. "Are you willing to be females?"

"If it'll help you?" He chuckles, nuzzling her cheek gently. "Of course I will. Then again, maybe Rainbow can help out, too?" He gives the blushing pony a meaningful look, and she promptly jolts and takes the rest of the large cloud as she leaves.

Silk laughs as she watches her go, her smile remaining afterwards. "I don't feel like Rainbow is one for my type of item, but maybe one day she'll surprise me."

"If you say so." He shrugs, then gently picks her up. "Time for us to go back inside and get you your massage."

"Oh? I'm getting a massage?" She hugs and kisses him for that, making sure the door shuts behind them.

"Of course; it helps prevent cramps." He kisses her cheek and makes his way to the main display. He carefully sets her down, looking at her carefully. "Which one do you want, this time?"

"Back, please." She sets the signs down in front fo her, looking at them thoughtfully.

He nips her ear teasingly. "You know that's not what I meant."

"Oh, umm..." She blushes, tail wagging. "Griffon, please."

He chuckles, leaning over and placing his hooves on her shoulders. "As you wish." She feels his forehooves slowly gain claws, each one sharp and pricking her softly through her fur. He nuzzles her with his new beak, humming as he starts pressing into her muscles.

Shivering, she rolls her shoulders and sighs. "Best coltfriend ever..."

"You know it." He chuckles, gently pecking her cheek as he works. "So, what was on your mind?"

"Well... is it wrong to prefer one kind of vandalism over another?" She gestures to the signs.

He pauses for a moment, then sighs, shaking his head. "I take it you mean what they did to our old house?"

"Yes..." She sighs, rolling her shoulders once more and arching her back.

He looks at the signs, frowning in thought. "...do you think we have another group on our hooves?"

"I can't imagine PALS would do this for irony's sake." She nods, looking at it.

"They might do it to discredit us, or something." He suggests, shrugging a bit as he moves down her back.

"Discredit us for what, support changelings?" She spreads her wings.

"Maybe..." He sighs, rubbing the base of her wings. "I don't really know, PALS can be crazy."

She lets out a soft coo. "Yes, I hope this other group doesn't end up the same way."

"Eh, I guess." He scratches under her wings. "I think I'd prefer there to be no groups."

"Agreed." They flap lightly. "Do you think the others might know about this one?"

"...think we should ask Twilight?" He gives her a curious look, his claws stopping at her waist to rub circles in her fur.

She shifts her hips. "Hmm... let's see if anything else happens. So far all they've done is put up signs that say we're against PALS, which isn't inaccurate."

"Technically, it'd come across as a passive aggressive group-ism against them." He shrugs a bit, clearly uncertain.

"Still... I feel like we should give them a chance so we know what their intentions are."

"I guess..." He frowns a bit. "But how do we do that if we don't know where to start?"

She blinks, silent for a moment. "...okay, hun, you're massage is making it hard to think. Explain?"

"All we know is that they don't like PALS." He shrugs a bit. "As far as I know, every changeling dislikes PALS. Doesn't mean all of us are part of this other group."

"True... maybe there isn't even a group at all and it was just some impulsive pony." She nods hopefully.

"That's also a possibility." He eventually removes his claws from her body. "There, done. I'll do your front if you promise to behave."

"Aww..." She flips over onto her back. "What if we lock up and head upstairs? Then can we have fun?"

"Depends." He raises an eyebrow. "Can you handle it, right now, without hurting our foal?"

She snorts. "I'm not going eleven months celibate. It's fine, they're all sealed up and safe."

"Well, as long as she's safe." He holds up a claw. "And before you ask, I'm hoping our foal's a filly. I don't want to be jealous of cute moments from the Nexus clan."

She laughs, rubbing her stomach. "I bet a colt would be cute, too, but I'll toss my hat in with a filly hope."

He smirks, picking her up and changing into a Diamond dog as they head up the stairs. "Think she'll grow up to be almost as beautiful as you?"

"I'm sure your genes will help, too." She nuzzles her shapeshifting love.

"And that's why she won't have your brand of perfection." He gently kisses her cheek, then playfully licks her nose.

She gently bats his muzzle away. "Come on, you need a massage now, too. You should be proud of your parts of her."

His smile falls away, his happy-go-lucky demeanor replaced by a far more vulnerable one. "I'm... not really sure if being her father would bring entirely positive things..."

She plants her hoof on his chest, voice firm. "Flick, you helped make our daughter, now you're going to help raise her. She will love beautiful things, be a little mischievous, and have a good heart. Her father will love her and she will love him, even if you do something foolish and I have to hunt you down and bring you back myself." She blinks. "Sorry, a little bit or hormones at the end there."

"...even so, I can only hope it's true..." He sighs, setting her down on the bed so he can kneel down to hug her. "I love you. I want to make sure you know that."

Her hooves curl around him as she kisses his cheek. "I love you, too. I'll make sure you never forget it."


As dark clouds are slowly around in the distance, Rhino remarks to the rest of his little traveling group. "I hope we don't run into that on the way back from Twilight's."

"We shouldn't." Gel smiles warmly. "It's supposed to be for the farm." She knees the bag at his side. "Then again, we wouldn't have to worry about that if you didn't go back for whatever this is."

"I just had to do a quick teleport back to save us a little time." He nuzzles her, giving Ruby one afterwards. "It's been awhile since we've seen Twilight so I figured these might help."

She raises an eyebrow, frowning slightly at him. "Rhino, the way you say that sounds like you got her a present. Or a dowry."

He blinks, "Does it? Sorry, I didn't mean for that. I don't even think she has a special somepony to warrant a dowry for... anyway, still, no." He opens the bag to let her peek inside. "It's Ruby's measurements."

Gel just shrugs. "It has been a while. Wait..." She turns to looks at him, confused. "...when did you take the time to measure her? And where did you get a scale?"

"I measured her periodically when she and I were hanging out, usually when you were napping." He smiles. "I also grabbed a scale from the Barnyard Bargains, it's big enough for an adult, so I showed Ruby how to use it."

"...why didn't you tell me?" She pouts cutely. "What, did you hide the scale when you weren't using it?"

"It's down in the lab." He says simply, pecking her cheek. "So, admittedly, there's plenty of other distracting things down there. I didn't think it was a big deal."

She's silent a moment, then lets out a sigh, leaning up against him. "It really isn't... but I'm a little sore I missed that part of her life..."

Tucking her head under his a bit, he speaks quietly into her ear. "I understand, love, but all you really missed was Ruby on a scale and the same thing but with a ruler. I could invite you next time."

"...I'd like that." She nuzzles into his fur, just out of reach of the filly's tiny hooves. "Bet she was acting cute while you were doing it..."

"She may have kept poking my muzzle every time I got close to her while I was measuring." He says vaguely as Golden Oaks comes into view.

"...I carry her back." She quietly huffs, turning and nipping his neck.

He just chuckles as they get to the door. "Fine by me. What about you, Ruby?"

She taps his nose as he looks at her, blowing a raspberry.

"I think she's neutral." He blows one back at her.

"I guess so." The nymph shrugs and knocks on the door.

"Coming, coming!" Calls the voice of the local librarian, followed by hoofsteps on a wooden floor.

Gel blinks, looking at her husband as the sound gets closer. "I thought Spike normally answers the door..."

"Maybe he's busy?" Rhino offers, shrugging just before the door opens.

The familiar lavender mare smiles as she spots who it is. "Rhino, Gel, Ruby! It's great to see you!"

The filly squees, holding her hooves out to the mare. "Waiwai!"

The nymphs smiles at this, but it turns into a frown as she looks at the mare. "...you look different... did you do something with your mane?"

Straightening up from having playfully touched a hoof to the filly's, Twilight clears her throat. "Not really, I'm surprised you hadn't heard yet." She shuffles her hooves uncomfortably before a couple of feathery appendages slowly extend from her sides.

Gel blinks, stunned and trying to take this brand new development in.

Ruby, however, stares at her in confusion. "...Sil'y?"

Rhino nuzzles his daughter. "No, that's not Silk, that's still Twilight."

"Thank you, that second part is apparently hard for some ponies." She sighs, her wings drooping.

The changeling finally remembers to breathe, explosively exhaling before taking deep breaths. "W-what... how did you... are you...?"

"Here, why don't you come inside?" Twilight steps back and out of the doorway. "We can catch up."

"Sure." Gel walks inside, glancing around uncertainly. "So... where's the little guy?"

"He's in the side room, helping Applejack." She explains, shutting the door behind them as they come in. "Luster brought her over earlier because she apparently needed some convincing to find some books."

She blinks, tilting her head to one side. "...do you mind if we check on them, real quick?" She points to the filly now clinging to Rhino's muzzle. "You can spend some time with your godchild while you wait."

"Wait... godchild?" Twilight blinks rapidly as the filly is deposited into her forelegs.

Rhino looks to Gel, asking if she's sure with his eyes.

She nods and tugs him along as Ruby nips Twilight's nose.

The mare giggles as the foal's parent walk off. "I see you still haven't grown out of that."

The nymph glances back, smiling softly. "So adorable..."

"Ruby tends to make everything that." He retorts with a chuckle.

"True. Very true." She chuckles, pushing open the door and walking in. After a few steps she stops, gaping at the sight before her.

There, on a large cushion, lay Applejack and Spike. The latter holds a book, both fo them reading with small smiles on their faces.

The dragon looks up from where he's laying back against her side, eyes brightening in recognition. "Hey, guys! It's been a while since you came to see us!"

Gel isn't exactly paying attention, taking notice of a few books by the farm mare's side. ...why does she have a book about snagging one's special somepony?

Rhino waves to the little dragon and the mare hiding her face under her hat. I don't know, maybe she's into romance?

She also has a guide to snuggling. She smiles softly as the dragon gently scratches Applejack behind the ear. Heh, I guess he found out we like that.

The farm mare peeks out at them a moment before composing herself. "So umm... did you folks come here for books too?"

"Just wondering where all the love is coming from." She smiles at the baffled look on the dragon's face. "Oh, and Ruby's in the other room, as well as some enchanted gems, if you want to see them."

"Well... she is cute... but Ah think Ah'm good here." She settles on the cushion a bit more.

"I'm comfortable here." Spike grins at them. "But if you're willing to bring a few of those gems when you're done with them..."

"That depends, how do magic ones sit in your stomach?" Rhino asks, curious.

"Never tried them." He shrugs a bit, then looks at the mare behind him. "Have any more of those apple jewels?"

"Apple what?"

"Apple jewels!" He grins at them, holding up what seems to be the last one. "Apple slices cut into gem shapes and seasoned with gem dust! They're delicious!" He pops it into his mouth, humming happily. "Wonder what one without the dust tastes like..."

"It tastes like apples, of course." Applejack says with a small laugh.

"Just as delicious, then." He smiles at her, chuckling before looking over at the others. "Not to be rude, but could we get back to reading?" He holds up his book. "I think we could both learn from this."

The book is titled How to Admit Your Crush.

"...you'd think it'd be shorter," Gel mutters quietly.

"Maybe it's a fluff piece." Rhino offers.

She squints at the back of the book. "...it's a romance novel."

"So it's a story, not a guide." He concludes.

"They seem to be enjoying it, at least." She taps her chin thoughtfully. "...I wonder who set this up... so much love in the air..." Those pure blue eyes narrow at them. "...is that from one of them, or both of them?"

"It could be from your husband," Spike points out.

"It could be from the other room where Twilight is with Ruby." Rhino offers. "And didn't she say Luster brought Applejack? Maybe she's around."

"Nah, she already left." Spike shakes his head. "Something about aching for a helping of red apples."

The nymph blinks, turns around, and heads out of the room.

The dragon looks from one pony to the other, confused. "...was it something I said?"

Applejack looks slightly concerned while Rhino answers. "I'm not really sure, maybe she's having cravings." Still he looks back at his wife, giving the other two a quick smile before heading after her.

There's silence for a moment before Spike looks back at the mare, smiling warmly. "Can we cuddle some more, now?"

"Sure, you're nice and warm for that." The farm mare curls around him a bit more, looking back in the book.

As they get back to the book, the other couple re-enter the main room of the library just in time to see a small changeling approach the princess and the filly.

"Oh, the library is popular today." Putting on a soft smile, Twilight looks down at the changeling. "Hello, there. How can I help you?"

The red changeling looks up at her with wide eyes. "...are you the patron princess of changelings my friends spoke about?"

"Patron Princess of Changelings? D'aww..." She giggles, her wings flapping a little. "Well, I don't know about that title, but I am a princess. I guess that makes you one of my subjects. Therefore, I am, in some way, a princess of changelings."

He beams brightly, holding out a bouquet of various flowers. "These are for you, princess!"

"Oh my..." She blushes, her smile getting shy as she takes them in a hoof, the other holding Ruby. "Thank you very much, these are lovely!" She sniffs them, nibbling a petal.

He smiles, then jumps up and hugs her. "You're my favorite princess."

"Oh..." She sniffs and gently hugs the little changeling. "Even with the other three having so much more experience?"

"Don't care." He smiles up at her. "You're nice. And cute." His ear twitches and he looks to the front door, pouting quietly. "...I have to go..."

Twilight pats his head. "Yes, it is getting a little late, but you can feel free to come visit at any time the library is open."

He nods, giving her one more hug before running off.

"...huh. Didn't think you'd have a young admirer like that." Gel giggles, patting Twilight on the back.

"Yes... I didn't expect that." She looks down, smiling at Ruby. "I wonder if this is what Princess Celestia feels."

"Maybe." The nymph scoots closer. "Soooo..." She trails off, eyeing the mare with purpose.

"Hmm? Oh, right!" She laughs sheepishly. "Why don't we have a seat so we can talk?"

"Anywhere work, or do you have a specific couch set up for us?" She smiles warmly.

"Well, I only have the one couch, but you could sit wherever. Do you... want Ruby back, too?" She offers the foal.

The nymph carefully takes her daughter and sets her on the couch, then sets the old pot of jewels down on a table.

"I guess that's going to be something you want to talk about, too?" She gestures to the goo-covered pot.

"Yep." She offers the glowing gem to Ruby, who beams brightly and starts chewing on it. "Let's say they're enchanted. And not by Rhino."

"Oh? Is that a problem?"

"It's more about what they were being used for." The stallion answers.

"What he said."

"Ba!"

They turn to see Ruby holding up her gem, which seems to have its glow extending a bit.

"Huh?" Rhino leans towards the foal, tilting his head. "Now why's it doing that?"

She pulls her hooves apart, the gem staying attached to one while the glow sticks to the other. Ruby happily offers him both.

As Rhino gingerly tries to touch the light with a hoof, Twilight looks on, a fascinated glimmer in her eyes. "Interesting... I wonder if this is related to her talent or part of her hybrid bloodline..."

"Your guess is as good as mine." Gel shrugs, leaning over to take the folder from Rhino and present it to Twilight. "Here, have a late coronation present."

"Oh, I thought you didn't know about that." She smiles shyly at the changeling before opening the folder. "Oh! I thought I was going to have a hole in my notes, but you kept track! Thank you!"

Gel blinks, motioning towards the stallion. "He was keeping them... but what do you mean? I was making a joke because you look like an alicorn..."

"Well umm..." Twilight looks uncomfortable while Rhino taps the light, looking surprised such as action is possible. "I... I am a princess now... apparently."

She tilts her head to the side, a baffled smile on her lips. "...princess of books?"

The filly giggles, tapping the light as well and making it slowly change colors.

Rhino looks fascinated, kissing his talented daughter's head.

Meanwhile, Twilight idly flips through the folder as she chats. "Well, I... don't actually know if I'm the princess of anything."

"You could always ask Celestia, right?" She moves to look over Twilight's shoulder. "She stopped growing quickly after a few months or so... she's also still showing unusual magic powers."

The pink pony in question drops the gem and reaches for the light. Then she spreads her forelegs with a happy coo, making the ball grow the size of a book.

Seeing as they're tugged between two topics, Twilight decides to pick the latter one for now. "In surge form or in more controlled ones like this?" She gestures to the scene, the stallion looking at the ball in awe.

"Like this, I think?" She stares at the ball with a small frown as it starts bouncing off heads like a beach ball. "Mom and Hydro usually have to deal with it..."

"And do you know if you experienced such magical occurrences when you were young or if other members of your family have?" A quill floats over as if summoned, ready to take notes.

She blinks, baffled. "I... think you'd have to ask my mom about that?" She awkwardly scratches her cheek. "I don't exactly remember my infancy..."

"Do you think you could help me set up an appointment with her?" She asks excitedly.

"You could... always go to the dam to ask her, you know." She takes a step back, heading towards the pot. "Think we could get back to these, since we... uh..." Thunder sounds outside, causing both Gel to jump and Ruby to cling to her father, the light popping like a bubble.

"Oh dear..." twilight looks around as Rhino soothes the filly. "I guess they're getting an early start."

"Y-yea..." She shivers, sheepishly letting go of the librarian. "...sorry about that..."

"It's alright, I get spooked too. I'm just distracted." She motions to the folder. "But you said you wanted to tell me something about the pot before we catch up?"

"More of a question." She holds the pot up for her. "Can you trace magic signatures with that radar system of yours?"

"Well, if I had a sample and a reason, yes." She nods, setting down the folder and looking curious.

Gel looks to her husband, nodding towards Twilight meaningfully.

He looks at her seriously, still holding the foal. "Well, these gems were planted in our house unbeknownst to us. Someone broke in and did it."

She gasps. "Oh no! Did you go to the guard?"

Gel blinks, considering her words a moment. "...honestly, I'd rather not let whoever did this get the chance to know we were looking into it..."

Twilight nods, looking thoughtful "I see... Well, just because a pony's signature is on it, doesn't mean they're the ones that broke into your house, but maybe we can follow the trail from there."

"Maybe." She sighs, shrugging a bit and moving to lean against her husband. "I just really want a lead..."

"Are you planning on going after them yourself?" Twilight asks, looking worried now.

"...I will neither confirm nor deny what you're asking." She gives her a toothy smile.

"I don't want you guys getting in trouble. You're my friends." She gives the nymph a hug.

The navy changeling slumps a bit. "Sorry, I just... I worry that we were being spied on... especially after what happened to mom's new body..."

"What, what happened there?" The lavender mare asks, now looking worried.

She opens her mouth, frowns, and looks to her husband, baffled. "...what did happen? I only got bits and pieces after we got all those gems..."

He looks grim. "Destroyed and defaced. They even stole most of it."

She grimaces at his words. "...and it was almost done, too..."

Ears folding at this, Twilight bites her lip, looking deep in thought. "Well, hmm... maybe I can help."

The nymph blinks, looking at Twilight in confusion and missing how her daughter is trying to hide in her father's mane once more. "You can? I mean, sure, but... you seem to mean it in a different way?"

As soft whispers come from the stallion, Twilight thinks. "Maybe... I mean, maybe I have authority now, so if I use my system to narrow down suspects, and we have my word, which they can't just ignore, we can positively identify ponies who have broken the law and into your house!"

The nymph is stunned by this for a moment. Then she slowly raises a hoof. "We should make sure they aren't innocents, of course... but how do we tell them ap-"

She's cut off by a loud, if dull, clicking sound, and they turn to see Ruby biting Rhino's horn.

The stallion looks both confused and amused. "Hey now, what's all this? You were playing up there earlier, too." He reaches up a hoof to the filly.

She bats at his hoof, huffing quietly.

Baffled, Gel turns her attention to the area around her, and almost immediately tenses up. Love, I don't think we're alone, in here.

Huh? He looks around slowly so as to not dislodge the filly. Did Spike and Applejack come in?

Not unless they're really hostile, for some reason. She nuzzles his neck, carefully pinpointing where it's coming from. ...second bookshelf to your right, right behind it.

Twilight looks between the two, brow furrowed. "Is something going on?"

"Lets see." Rhino lights up his horn, removing books from the shelf in question so they can see through it.

A black blur dashes out of the store, knocking over a shelf on the way.

"...what would you classify that as, love?"

"Hey!" Twilight yells, her own magic lighting up to catch the shelf and right it. Once it's fixed, she sighs. "What even was that?"

"That... might've been PALS..." Gel scowls quietly. "...which means we'll have to move fast to make sure we catch whoever did this."

"Oh... I was hoping to be able to do this with time so I could make sure I did it right." Twilight bites her lip.

She grits her teeth and rushes out the door, herself. "Be right back!"

Both ponies hold out hooves to stop er, only to realize it's too late. Twilight curls inward, while Rhino stands, looking torn.

Another strike of lightning lights up the room, and the filly lets out a little whimper.

"...mommy?"

Rhino looks up to the filly, heart aching. He takes a deep breath before straightening his stance. His magic fishes out a necklace from his bag, one he tries to always bring with him. Slipping it onto his neck, he waits for the familiar mental pull.

To his surprise, she hasn't gone far, having stopped somewhere in the direction of town hall.

"Hang on Ruby!" He makes sure the goal is secure with a bit a bit of magic to put her in the shelter of his bags, her head still poking out. That done, he gallops off in the direction of his wife.

A few seconds after they left, Spike pokes his head out of the side room, confused. "...did I miss something?"

Twilight sighs and raises her hooves in the air. "You missed everything!"

"Oh." He's silent for a moment before glancing back into the room. "...can Applejack stay the night?"

"If she wants to, of course. You have the guest bed made, right?"

"I'll go get it ready!" He nods and rushes upstairs, leaving the door open to reveal the flushed face of Applejack.

Twilight smiles at her friend. "I'm glad you and Spike are hanging out. It's always good to have more friends."

The farmpony rubs her head. "Yeah, umm... yer not gonna break out that slumber party book, are ya?"

Spike hurries down the stairs and gently takes her hoof. "No need to worry!" He pulls her along, chuckling quietly. "A couple fillies checked it out earlier today. Despite it being her own personal copy, oddly enough."

"Was that yer doing?" She asks him, smiling slyly.

"No comment." He chuckles, then looks over at her. "...can I sleep with you? I wanna know how a real bed feels."

She blushes, pulling her hat down. "Wow, you gotta watch yer phrasing there, Spike. But, uh, yeah, sure."

He frowns, looking at her in confusion. "What's wrong with how I said that? I want to sleep with you in the spare bed."

She lets out a small laugh at that. "There you go again. Come on, you little varmint." She quickens her pace, walking ahead of him as she laughs more.

"Hey, wait, what's so funny? Applejack!" He hurries after her, leaving Twilight all by herself once more with the enchanted gems and a bouquet.

"Friends, project, snacks... yep, it's a good day for me." The princess giggles, munching on another flower as she pulls the gems over.