• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,186 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,186

Chapter 3: First Day

For most ponies, an alarm clock is what wakes them up early. For others, maybe it's a rooster. For new parents... it's a crying foal. Such is the case the first morning after Ruby's birth as her cries roughly wake up her parents while she lies in her crib next to the wall in their room.

Gel, used to getting up early, gets up and heads over to the crib. She carefully picks up their daughter, rocking her gently as she heads over to the bed. "...don't worry...mommy's here..."

Rhino, much less of a morning pony, grunts as his eyes crack open and lock onto his wife and daughter. "Feeding time again?"

She nods, laying sideways on the bed and facing him. "It seems that way..." She gently places the tiny foal in front of her, looking over to him. "...sorry you had to wake up this early...I mean, the sun's not even out, yet..."

He stretches out, a few pops sounding out before he turns back to her. "It's fine... I can just take a nap later or something." He sees Ruby maneuvering her way to her goal, her little nose poking Gel as she tries to find what she is looking for. "Besides, this is worth waking up to."

His nymph smiles, pulling him close and kissing him tenderly. "...I'm glad to hear that..." She squeaks as the little pony latches onto her. "...I-I guess she's getting better at finding them..." She shyly laughs, tapping her forehooves together.

He chuckles as Ruby starts her latest meal, her tiny tail slowly swishing back and forth as it pokes out of her cloth diaper they had made for her. "You know, it really is adorable seeing you curled around her as she nurses..."

She smirks slightly at him. "A mother's protective instinct." She yawns quietly, taking one of his forehooves and holding it close. "...it does feel nice, though...especially since I can feel the pressure in my teats lessening..."

He looks at her curiously. "Is it really that bad?"

She peeks open an eye. "...no...I got used to it...but that doesn't mean it'll be missed..." She sighs, nuzzling his hoof. "...why do you ask?"

He looks back to the suckling filly. "Just curious... You did walk funny for the first week you started producing."

She follows his gaze, smiling softly at the sight. "...I suppose I did...I'm not used to a larger teat size..." She shrugs, glancing away. "...it didn't help when I accidentally expressed every so often..."

"I'm sure it happens to every mom..." He reaches a hoof down and strokes Ruby's mane, causing her to turn and lick his hoof with a milk-covered tongue before going back to her meal. "You know... I think we should probably store a bit of your milk so we can just bottle feed her in the middle of the night. We could alternate it so that I could feed her half the time while you get some sleep."

Gel taps her chin, thinking about this a moment. "...that sounds nice, actually..." She pauses, looking at him with a playful smile. "...are you sure you won't mistake them for your own milk?"

He opens his more with a cheeky smile only to shut it abruptly and clear his throat with a slight blush. "I'll um, I'll be sure to label them or put them on a different shelf..."

She quirks an eyebrow at this reaction but doesn't point it out, shrugging slightly and hugging him gently. "...okay, love..."

He hugs her back, watching Ruby again as soon as they separate. The mini filly pushes around her mother's teats to make more come out for a few more minutes before she pops her mouth off and makes a few satisfied cooing noises. She turns over onto her back, gazing up at the ceiling for a bit before finishing her roll and starting to wiggle her way towards her father's fluffy form.

Gel smiles as their daughter reaches his belly and simply nuzzles the soft fur. "...I think she likes your cuddliness, too..."

Rhino's eyes shimmer as he slowly curls his body around the small pink one. He nuzzles her with his eyes closed, the filly reciprocating the action, as well as trying to bite his muzzle, which only tickles him.

The nymph can only laugh at this. "She definitely likes you." She cuddles close to the two of them, happy to simply be with the both of them.

The family of three stay like this for a time, the parents bodies creating a safe spot for the foal between them. The sun eventually peeks over their bodies, as it finally gained the angle it needed to shine down into the upstairs window. The three forms stir as the light goes over them.

Rhino stirs himself out of the light sleep he had fallen into, letting out a yawn before speaking to Gel. "I guess it's time to get out of bed... shall we go downstairs and get some breakfast? I think I can already hear the pets chomping on their food down there."

She nods, rubbing an eye sleepily. "...of course..." She looks around for their filly, confused for a moment. "...where did she..." She trails off, looking at Rhino's side with wide eyes.

The stallion follows her gaze and sees Ruby up on top of him, curled up into a little pink ball. "Awww... but how did she get up there?" He looks down to the bed and then back to where she is now, a height difference of at least three times her size.

She points at his hindleg. "Maybe she crawled up?"

"Hmm... maybe..." He starts to slowly stretch himself in preparation for getting out of the bed. "I guess we'll see in time if it's just me or if we have a climber on our hooves."

"Maybe..." She gets up, stretching quietly before turning to him. "...do you want me to take her for you?"

He shakes his head, his horn lighting up and levitating the filly for the moment it takes him to get out of bed. He sets her on his back once he stands up. The little filly shifts down into his fur a bit more but otherwise doesn't stir. Rhino smiles at her before offering his tail to Gel as he open the door.

The nymph is happy to take his tail with hers, entwining them. "Let's go get breakfast, shall we?"

The three make their way down to the kitchen. Rhino heads for the fridge as Gel sits down at the small table they use for meals when they don't feel like using the large table in the dining room. After he fixes them both a small glass of something to drink, he levitates Ruby onto the table between them, smiling as she yawns, waking up and looking around.

"Morning, sleepy head." She smiles sweetly at her. "Did you have a nice nap?" She takes a sip of her juice, making sure to keep an eye on their filly.

Ruby looks around at the unfamiliar room before making a few indistinct noises and dragging herself over to her mother. On her way, she passes her glass of apple juice and looks as though she could easily fit in it if she tried.

Rhino comments on this as the filly reaches Gel and looks up at her with an adorable look on her face. "I just can't get over how tiny she is..."

"She's simply the cutest pony ever." She leans down and nuzzles her, smiling softly. "I wonder if she knows that..."

The unicorn sips his milk before replying. "Oh, I don't deny she's the single cutest thing I've ever seen, but her size does make things a challenge to find for her."

She looks up at him, shrugging slightly. "I suppose that's true..." She stiffens up, looking down at the filly as she pops her head out of one of the holes in her hoof. "...t-that's a strange sensation..."

He chuckles. "Surely you saw it coming at one point or another? Any idea what you want for breakfast? I'd ask her what she wants but I think the answer's obvious."

Gel smiles, giggling softly. "Yep. She wants to play." She turns to the fridge, thinking a bit. "...how does hashbrowns sound?"

"Perfect." He heads to the fridge and soon has the food sizzling in the pan as he prepares it. He listens with a smile to the sounds of Gel and Ruby playing behind him as he grabs a bottle of ketchup out of the fridge and returns to the table with their plates. "Didn't have too much fun without me, did you?"

"Nope. We had a decent amount." She smiles as Ruby holds her hooves up to him. "She wants to play with her daddy, now."

He grabs a quick bite of his food before leaning down to Ruby's level and putting his hoof up to hers with a smile.

She coos happily, pulling it down and nibbling on the very tip. She looks up at him, eyes shining with curiosity.

He laughs as she tickles him, lightly rubbing her mane with his other hoof before kissing her head.

Gel watches this cute exchange with a small smile, silently eating her food. When Ruby leans into her daddy's hoof, though, the nymph squeals in excitement, loving how adorable the two act together.

Rhino looks up at the nymph as he sneaks another bite. "Enjoying the show, love?" He sets his head on the table and Ruby uses his muzzle to pull herself up on two hooves before flopping across his nose.

"Hngh." She puts a hoof to her chest, playfully smiling. "You two are just too cute!" She takes a drink of her apple juice, missing the moment their filly climbs up Rhino's nose and wraps her forelegs around his horn.

His eyes cross as he looks upwards at the pink mass. "Hey, what are you doing up there?"

She responds by nuzzling his horn before nipping at the base of it.

One of his eyes twitches as he mumbles to Gel. "Good thing she doesn't have teeth yet..."

The nymph nods, smiling coyly at him. "At least you don't have to worry about fangs, right?"

Ruby lets go of his horn to climb even further up, nestling on the top of his head in his mane.

Rhino looks over to Specter, who had just finished eating from his bowl of nuts. "Careful Specs, you might have competition."

The squirrel comes over, tilting his head as he spies the moving mass of pink in Rhino's mane.

The filly pokes her head out and, spotting Specter, coos and waves.

Gel giggles, winking at Rhino. "I think she's inviting him to join her."

He comments as the squirrel climbs up his leg. "I like how I end up being the living jungle gym."

Specter arrives in Rhino mane and pokes Ruby with his nose curiously.

She boops his nose, giggling happily. Then she pulls him close and hugs him gently, unable to completely wrap her forelegs around him.

The parents look on as the filly hugs the squirrel that's twice her size. His poofy tail twitches as he stays still, not sure what to do. He chatters a bit towards the other two pets in the room.

The feline, who was watching with narrowed eyes, gives a small mew, nodding once. She then points a paw at him, purring softly.

He nods, curling his paws around the pink filly.

Ruby sighs softly, cuddling up against the squirrel's belly.

Gel smiles warmly, tilting her head to one side. "...aww...that's so cute..."

Rhino chuckles, trying to keep his head still. "I'm looking forward to the day we find her asleep in a pile with all of the pets."

"So do I..." She finishes her food and moves over to check on their fox. "...are you alright, little one? You seem awfully quiet, this morning..."

Mercury perks up as Gel gets closer and curls himself around one of her legs affectionately.

She smiles, laying down on her stomach to hug and nuzzle him gently. "That's the Mercury I know..."

Rhino manages to sneak the rest of his meal while the rest of the room seems to be in a cuddlefest, his stomach pleasantly full. He flicks his ears as he addresses his head passengers. "You two ready to come down yet?"

Ruby pokes at the 'wings' along Specter's sides, curious. She looks up to him as if silently asking something, her eyes shining with hope.

The squirrel tilts his head at her, still unsure about what exactly the filly wants. He holds up one of his arms so that she can see better.

She squees in happiness, gently nuzzling it before turning to look over the edge of Rhino's head. She whimpers softly, holding onto Specter's paw.

Rhino's ears perk as he hears his daughter's cries, but he freezes as he feels Specter moving. Suddenly, all the weight on his head disappears and he sees Specter glide down from his head, the filly on his back.

Gel watches this in surprise, her body tensing to catch them. She stops when she hears Ruby's squeals of joy, showing just how much she is enjoying this. Seeing no immediate danger, she smiles softly. "...aww...that's so adorable..."

As they land, Ruby slides off, giggling happily. Suddenly she stops in place as her face scrunches up for a few seconds before she wiggles in place and makes noises of discomfort.

Concerned, Gel stands up, places Mercury on her back, and walks over, carefully picking her up. "What's wrong?" She notices a small stain on her diaper. "...oh...I guess it was a little too much excitement for you, wasn't it?" She turns to Rhino, embarrassed. "W-where are the spares, again?"

His horn lights up and a small white piece of fabric floats out of the hall closet. "Need some help or do you want to try it yourself?"

She turns to him, smiling softly. "I was hoping we could do this together."

He nods motioning her over to him as he takes the plates and glasses off the table. "I guess this is our first test of this, since the last time she went she just wet her blanket we had around her."

She grimaces slightly. "...it took a long time to clean that up..." She carefully lays their filly down on the table, undoing the edges of her diaper. "...so...ready to dive in?"

He nods, some wipes and powder floating from the closet as well. They unfold her diaper, the small yellow stain showing exactly what happened. As a team, Gel lifts up the filly's hindquarters, Ruby giggling the whole time, as Rhino slides the dirty diaper out and sets it to the side. His magic takes a wipe and cleans Ruby before sliding the new diaper under her and applying a bit of powder. Gel sets Ruby back down and fastens the diaper to complete the process.

The tiny filly looks up at them, cooing happily as she holds her hooves up at them. She clearly feels much better after they took care of it.

Rhino chuckles as he tickles her belly with the tip of his hoof before heading into a nearby room to put the soiled cloth diaper in the wash so they can reuse it.

Gel smiles, watching their little filly roll over and crawl around the tabletop. She stops in the center, looking around and whimpering softly. The nymph, seeing this, tilts her head to one side, curious. "...love, I think she's trying to find you..."

"Oh?" The sound of the washing machine starts just before Rhino walks in again.

Ruby turns and sees him, squealing in happiness and holding her hooves out to him.

He looks at her with a soft smile as he walks over and sits down. He gently grabs her and holds her in his forehooves against his chest. "Did you miss me? Is that why you were fussing?"

She immediately nuzzles into his fur, cooing in satisfaction. She curls up in his embrace and closes her eyes, quickly falling asleep.

Gel giggles, shaking her head. "I think you somehow gained our couch's ability..."

He chuckles as he adjusts her to where she's in one hoof as he walks. "I would say we need a carrier for her, but nothing would fit her right now... and I think she would just prefer to be on our backs anyway." He starts to head out of the kitchen.

Curious, Gel follows him. "I suppose that's true..." As he heads towards the door behind the stairs, she hurries up, now in step with him. "What are you doing today, love?"

As he head down the basement stairs he answers. "Well, I'm not quite sure to be honest. Probably something to do with this little one, but for now there is something I need to do first." He goes to his desk and pulls out a sheet of paper and quill with his magic, still holding Ruby in his foreleg.

The nymph moves next to him, slightly confused. "What would that be?"

"I need to write a letter to Mane and Manila to let them know we'll be taking some time off from the clinic now that Ruby is here." The quill scribbles down his words on the parchment. "I'm not worried about bringing her with us to work later, but for at least her first week until we know we have a handle on all her needs, I don't want to head to a place where we won't have all our suppies."

She nods, frowning slightly. "I suppose that makes sense..." She turns to Ruby as she yawns, smiling warmly at her. "...we want to make sure everything's just right, after all..."

After Rhino finishes the letter and pops it into the mailbox, the two decide to officially get the house ready for Ruby. They start by making sure both of them know where the diapers are stored on each floor, going over what to check if she starts crying, and things of that nature. Finally, they bring out some toys they had bought before she was born and set them out in the living room. It's at this point that the filly wakes up and makes it clear that she's hungry. After another round of nursing, the parents bring her into the living room to try and see if she'll be interested in any of her toys.

Curious enough, Ruby doesn't pay any attention to them, simply climbing on Gel's leg like it's a jungle gym.

Rhino takes the pink filly and sets her down on the blanket laid across the floor. He picks up a stuffed puppy toy and makes it move and jump in front of her to try and keep her attention. She ignores the pup and instead wiggles and crawls her way back over to where her father is laying as he controls the toy, curling against his chest and flailing her hooves in the air happily.

The nymph tilts her head at this, smiling playfully. "It seems as though she wants her teddy bear." She sticks her tongue out at him.

He smiles as he nuzzles the filly. "I know, but it's important for her to play with something besides us so her mind can grow as it tries to figure them out..."

"I know..." She taps her chin, thinking a bit. "...but how do we get her to do that?"

"Maybe if she sees them and not us..." He takes Ruby and sets her down in the center of her blanket and places some of the toys in front of her. Then he steps around and behind her and walks about halfway across the room before sitting down and motioning Gel to sit by him.

She blinks but nods, fluttering over to him. She slowly settles down next to him, nervously watching their daughter for a moment. ...I hope this works...

If it doesn't... how she'll probably act is going to hurt my heart... He watches the filly to see what she does.

Ruby waits for a moment, perhaps expecting her parents to come back into view. When they don't, she makes an unhappy noise and looks to the toys in front of her. She turns away from them almost immediately, her head craning around as she tries to find Rhino and Gel. As soon as she spots them, she smiles and tries to scoot towards them on her belly. When she finds that she can't go fast and that they are still so far away, she starts to let out small upset cries.

Rhino trembles as she makes those noises, his instinct is to go and comfort her but he bites his lip as he stays still.

Ruby still makes efforts to get back to her parents, not full out crying but getting close. She sets her legs under herself and pushes off with them, flopping over but trying again a moment later. Slowly, stumbling, she makes her way toward them in an almost step-like motion, crying for them the whole time.

Unfortunately, a few more seconds of this is all Rhino can take before he suddenly stands up and closes the gap between them, picking the filly up and holding her close. He makes shushing noises as he strokes her back, trying to calm her down.

She sniffles, burying her face in his soft fur, slowly calming down in his embrace.

Gel steps forward, gently putting a hoof on her stallion's shoulder. "...you tried your best...she just doesn't want to play with toys, right now..."

Rhino nods. "I just... I couldn't take it..." He keeps nuzzling Ruby to calm both her and him down.

She hugs them both, smiling softly. "...I understand...still, there's one good thing from all of this..."

"Hmm?" He looks to her. "What do you mean?"

She giggles, winking at him. "We can try teaching her how to walk."

He thinks back to how she was stumbling towards them. "She did seem to be trying, didn't she? Yeah... yeah, let's do that."

She gently nuzzles their filly, enjoying her soft coos. "...she might be a hoofful once she gets mobile, though...I know I was..."

He smiles at Ruby. "Well, they're supposed to learn to walk within a day or two anyway, and we saw this morning she can already climb. I'd say she was going to be a hoofful one way or another."

"...true..." She shrugs and moves over to the couch, picking up what appears to be a stuffed tiger toy on her way. She lays on her back, playing with the toy in her hooves. "...these are rather cute, though...where did you say you got this one, again?"

Rhino brings Ruby back over to the play blanket and sets her on it, but this time lays down on his side near her. "Just down at the toy store. they had a whole bin of stuffed animals, some were bigger than me!"

"That sounds interesting..." She glances at him. Seeing that he was distracted, she grins and tosses the toy at his head. "The tiger leaps at its prey!"

He sputters a bit at the sudden attack, before chuckling as the tiger covers his eyes. "Oh no! I'm blinded!"

Gel grins as she turns into a bobcat and leaps at him, knocking him onto his back. She licks and nuzzles at his face, purring happily.

He can't keep from chuckling as he comments. "So this is what Specter feels like when he and Selena are playing..."

"Yep." She gives him a playful grin, making sure to keep him pinned by his shoulders. "So, what do you plan to do about this?"

"Hmm..." He raises one hoof and boops her on the nose. "Bad kitty."

She squeaks, holding her nose with a paw. "That wasn't very nice..." She gets off him and pads back over to the couch, curling in on herself.

He tries to sit up, but stop as he feels Ruby trying to climb up his side. "Aww, come on now, I didn't even do it hard... Isn't that right, Ruby?"

The pink pony looks up at him and shakes her head.

Gel whines softly, quickly changing back to normal. "...you too, Ruby?"

Rhino purposely doesn't look at Gel as he picks Ruby up and sets her on his chest while speaking in a sing-song voice. "Mommy is a drama queen~!"

Gel quirks an eyebrow at this, her horn lighting up. "Oh, am I, now?" A glass of water comes into the room and dumps itself on his face.

Rhino's soaked mane flops over his eyes as he calls to Gel. "You're only proving my point, you know. At least you didn't get her blanket wet."

"You'd better be glad I didn't get a bucket." She narrows her eyes and carefully places the now-empty cup upside down over his horn. "Perfect!"

With his mane still in his eyes, he can't actually see what she did, but judging by what he can feel, he has a pretty good idea of what it was. He sticks out a tongue in her direction. "Drama queen~."

She quickly closes the distance and captures his tongue in her mouth, kissing him deeply before pulling back. "You know you love it."

"Maybe..." He moves his mane out of his eyes as he looks at her cheekily. "But in front of our impressionable daughter? Shame on you." His tone makes it clear he's kidding.

She flutters her eyelashes at him. "I think it's wise to show her we love each other." She lays down next to him, happily cuddling close to his side.

He just chuckles as his horn lights up under the cup and floats over a towel that he dries himself off with. As he floats the cloth away, he takes the cup off his horn and hangs it on hers before turning to Ruby. "So, did all that silliness teach you how to walk?"

She shakes her head, cooing happily at their actions.

Gel giggles, gently pecking his cheek. "At least she's being entertained."

He nuzzles her back. "True, though I think she's just nodding or shaking her head to the tone of my voice. I doubt a one day old can understand what I'm saying."

She blinks, looking at him in confusion. "...I thought she could..." She scratches her head, thinking a bit. "...maybe I'm just mistaken..."

He chuckles. "We can't come out knowing everything, love, but what do you say we have her go to sleep tonight after learning an important skill today?" He lifts Ruby up onto her hooves and holds her there for a moment before slowly drawing his hooves away. Her legs are shaky for a moment, but they stabilize soon enough as she stands on his chest.

Gel stares in awe, jaw agape. ...o-oh my...she's standing!

Rhino beams. I figure if she's been using her legs to get around all day, even if it isn't walking, then if she just got her balance and stood still, she'd be able to do it. He leans up and kisses the top of her head. "That's my girl..."

Ruby giggles, reaching out for his muzzle with a hoof. She stumbles and falls to his chest with only three hooves supporting her, blowing a raspberry in response.

He just chuckles as he blows a little air on the filly's stomach to tickle her. I didn't say she would master it yet.

She squeals in excitement, flailing her legs. She leans forwards and catches his muzzle, nipping him playfully.

Rhino smiles as he looks over to Gel. "Day one of parenthood, I have already been assigned the titles of 'teddy bear' and 'chew toy'."

The nymph sticks her tongue out at him. "You're going to be in trouble when she starts growing teeth."

He just continues smiling. "So are you, Miss Milk."

She rolls her eyes. "Don't remind me...at least I have your love to heal me, just in case..."

"I don't think it'll be that bad... but like I said this morning, we could always store some of your milk for when you need a break." He kisses her cheek before grabbing Ruby and placing her on her mom's chest. "Oh, by the way," he flicks the cup on her horn with his magic, "nice cup."

She looks at him, quirking an eyebrow. "My eyes are up here, love." She pauses, frowning inwardly. "...wait, that was cup, not cups...darn it..."

He chuckles as he nuzzles her while Ruby watches happily.