• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,183 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,183

Chapter 27: Today and Tomorrow

Mane hums happily as she trots toward the vet clinic, tail swishing in time with an unseen tune. Everytime the thought comes to her of the surprise she got this weekend, she lets out a giggle. Such a small gesture, but it is amazing how such small things can affect a pony.

The doors open before her and she walks in, calling out. "Hello, everypony!"

Gel looks up from where she's playing with Ruby on the desk, smiling warmly and raising a hoof to wave. Much to her amusement, the pink filly does the same, babbling out a jumbled word that was likely meant to be 'hello'.

However, the response from a certain silver fox doesn't lack any cuteness of its own. Upon seeing the mare, he jumps up from where he lay watching his family play and rushes over, pressing his paws to her chest and happily barking, his tail wagging eagerly behind him.

Smiling at the mother and foal, the earth pony looks down at the kit. She giggles, leaning her head down and nuzzling him. "Well, hello to you too." Picking him up in a foreleg, she gives him a kiss on the top of his furry head. "That was for your little present that made me happy this weekend. I have him with me, you know, if you want him back." Craning her neck around, she reaches int her bags and comes up with the squeaky fish in her mouth, biting down on it so it squeaks.

He grins, grabbing it and tugging, nowhere near hard enough to take it. His eyes seem to smile in his mirth and he pulls once more, his fluffy tail wagging all the while.

Giggling, the life-long animal lover plays along, tugging the toy back towards her. Like him, she doesn't pull hard enough to take it. As an afterthought, she walks over to the desk while doing this, her eyes still on her little friend.

He bats her nose, pulling a little more firmly to see if she'd do the same.

The nymph at the desk giggles, gesturing to the two of them. "Having fun, are we?"

Mane smiles at Gel as well as she is able around the toy, nodding. Her tail flicks as she pulls her head back, seeing how far she can pull the toy without taking it from him.

Seeing this, Ruby tilts her head a moment before looking down at her mother's hoof. Trying to hold it in place with her tiny pink ones, she starts to nibble on it with the few teeth she has.

The navy changeling blinks, looking down and smiling softly. She raises a hoof, gently stroking her mane.

Mercury, meanwhile, doesn't notice, his grip on the toy having slipped slightly. He quickly lunges forward to grab onto it, his nose bumping hers as he does so.

The shift in weight causes Mane's rump to slip onto the floor, in surprise, the rest of her follows. She and the kit end up muzzle to muzzle, the fish still held. Giggling around the toy, she rubs her nose against his.

The filly, meanwhile, has lost interest in the little play session for the moment. She simply blissfully nibbles on the navy hoof while leaning her head against the one stroking her, a few indistinct happy noises coming from her.

He lets go to lick her nose, murring contentedly. The nymph notices, giggling brightly as she lets her daughter use her hoof as a teething toy. "I guess he likes you more than I thought."

Taking the squeaky fish from her mouth, the vet nods. "Yes, he's my little buddy, aren't you?" Her hoof comes up and rubs his head fondly. "Though, I am curious why he would sneak his toy into my bag when I was sitting for you the other night..."

He leans against her and nuzzles her soft fur, almost smiling from the affection she's giving him when Gel replies. "Maybe he meant it as a reason for you to come back?" She giggles as his tail curls around the mare's other hoof, swishing languidly. "Maybe he felt he'd miss you?"

"Aww..." Mane smiles as she nuzzles the kit. "Aren't you just an adorable little smart one... careful, you may make your mom and dad jealous"

"Jealous? Never." She smirks, watching him lick the vet once more, this time from her chin to the tip of her nose. She playfully taps her chin, a pretend-thoughtful expression on her face. "You know, some ponies consider that a little kiss of sorts."

"So would another fox, I would think." The vet responds, still smiling. "An action like that is fairly universal among mammals, I believe. Which means..." She gasps dramatically. "You were sneaking kisses! You little flirt!" She giggles, lightly pushing him enough to scoot him away from her face, but his tail still around her hoof.

He looks up at her, his tongue still out from a lick he was about to give. He tilts his head, then gives a few short barks, which sound remarkably similar to laughter, before getting another lick in across her muzzle. He then leaps back, practically grinning at her as he turns and dashes for the hallway.

Laughing, shaking her head, and standing, Mane looks to Gel. "Being a little playful scamp today, isn't he? Though I can't help but notice the absence of your two other little ones."

"We left them at home. They were sleeping, and we couldn't bring ourselves to wake them up." She shyly shrugs. "I guess we're a couple pushovers, that way..."

"Your family all just have big hearts, not a thing wrong with that." The earth mare walks over, looking down at the pink filly who looks back up at her when she feels she is being watched. "Still absolutely adorable..."

"Isn't she?" Gel giggles, leaning down and tenderly nuzzling her head. "I swear she might use that to her advantage, some day..."

Rhino walks in from the back, adding his own thoughts. "And there will be barely anything we can do about it." He looks to his fellow doctor. "Good morning, Mane. I heard scurrying in the hall and voices up here so I came to see what the ruckus was."

"Oh, just playing and chatting, nothing to-" She stops as she feels a set of paws on her leg, looking down.

The silver fox looks up at her with his big, soulful eyes. His ears twitch and he lets out a soft whine, nuzzling what parts of her fur he can reach.

She blinks at this. "My... you really are getting attached." Picking him up, she nuzzles his stomach. "There, there.... better?"

He closes his eyes at this, a leg kicking as he gets a bit more relaxed. When his tongue lolls out, the nymph starts muttering to herself. "I've rubbed his belly plenty of times. He's never done that thing with his tongue for me..." She tilts her head, watching them with curious eyes.

"She certainly seems to have a way with him." Rhino agrees.

"Would you two mind terribly if I held him for a bit?" The mare asks.

"Not at all." Gel smiles warmly, watching the silver fox lick Mane's cheek. "I think he'd be upset if you didn't Doctor Goodall."

"Well," she looks down at him, smiling, "looks like I have an assistant, at least until you all clock out."

He smiles right back, happily licking her once more. His fluffy tail curls around and tickles her nose, a foxish grin on his muzzle all the while.

"Assistant... or distraction." Mane muses, giggling.

Just after she says this, the doors to the clinic open once more and Manila walks in, a smile on her face. "Sorry I'm late..." She blinks as she takes everything in; the foal chewing on her mother, the fox and the vet smiling. The receptionist blinks. "I missed something cute, didn't I?"

"You pretty much caught the tail end of it, yes." Gel looks to her husband, waving him closer with her unoccupied hoof.

Mercury, meanwhile, gets a bit of Mane's mane in his face when she looks to her sister. The hairs tickle his nose, causing him to give a cute little sneeze, rubbing his nose with a paw right after.

While Rhino walks over, Mane coos to the little kit, motioning for Manila to come see. "Aww..." Both sisters immediately dote on the fox, petting and nuzzling him as their tails wag.

The nymph looks up, giggling at how the fox is basking in all the attention. He's certainly enjoying himself, isn't he? She carefully picks up their daughter, cradling her as she looks to her stallion. Then again, maybe he just likes their aromas? He's sniffing their hair enough... and nipping at their noses, but he always plays with others that way.

He nods, nuzzling their filly, then the nymph. He certainly seems to think more highly of them now, that's for certain. I'm not sure about the sniffing thing, though... apparently he and Mane had a good time the other night when she was looking after them as well. He chuckles as both mares begin rubbing his stomach. Perhaps he's just embracing an expanded circle of favorite ponies?

Maybe. She smirks coyly, playfully flicking his side with her tail. Or maybe he's infatuated with her. She laughs brightly at this, shaking her head. "As if..."

He laughs along, their daughter looking up at them with confusion. The sisters do much the same, but the kit once again demands their attention and soon they go back to his particular brand of cute.

***

A little later in the morning, the two pets still at home gaze between them at the bottle of pink liquid; an odd solution to unusual circumstances.

Specter touches the bottle lightly with a claw. 'So... Miss Fluttershy was right, the zebra did know how to help.'

'And I thought it would all be in vain..." Selena stretches out on the carpet, letting out a soft little mewl. 'I wish there was a better way to thank her.'

'Seems like Fluttershy may help on that,' the squirrel stands up, shaking himself to fluff out a little, 'at least that what it sounded like to me when she mentioned a skunk looking for a home. It was when she was getting our fur samples for this.' He points to the vial which simply bubbles once.

'A skunk?' She looks up at him, curious. 'Was she talking about Pep? That cute little kit from when we were still with Miss Fluttershy?'

'Maybe...' He shrugs. 'It'd certainly be a sight to see; a black and white pet with his matching owner.' A small laughs rumbles in his chest as he thinks about it.

'It definitely would be...' She rolls over onto her back, pawing at the air complacently. '...do you think our kits would look more like you... or like me?'

'I... have no idea.' Padding over to her, he rests his head on her sides. 'You heard Zecora, it just... makes us compatible for kittens. Heh... I bet they end up bigger than me, though.'

'Probably.' She giggles, curling up and tenderly grooming his fur. 'I bet they'll still be adorable, though.'

'They will be yours after all.' Smiling, he relaxes as she works. 'How many do you think we'll have in the litter?'

'If we're lucky? Three.' Selena tickles his nose with her tail.

'Good to know.' Playfully, he nips at her tail, just getting the tip. 'You know... I wasn't completely sure when you first brought it up, but I'm really excited about this now.'

'I'm glad you are.' The gray feline purrs quietly, batting his nose before continuing her grooming. 'Because I'm starting to get a bit nervous...'

'Will talking about it help?' He fully stretches out as he lets out a groan.

'No... just a silly notion...' She shakes her head, nuzzling the top of his head as she wraps around him. 'Nothing to worry about.'

Seeing grooming time is over, he nuzzles just behind her ear. 'I don't mind silly. You sure I can't tempt you to spill?'

'Not even a little.'

'We shall see.' He grins as he starts to work his claws under her fur. 'I have until the kittens get here to get it out of you.'

She turns to him, a coy smirk on her lips. 'Try me.'

'Challenge accepted.' The squirrel pounces his lady.

***

Silk hums to herself as she wings toward her destination, giving a happy little loop at being able to be out of the house again. Well, that and other reasons. Her eyes glint just as the metallic sheen of her target does as well, the pegasus aiming downward and coming to a landing just inside the backyard of her musically inclined friends.

It isn't long before a white form emerges from the silver building, waving as she calls over to the canary-yellow pony. "You look positively radiant today! Did something good happen?" The sly grin she gives betrays the teasing nature of her question.

Silk nods, smiling as she walks over. "Hello, Dior! Yes, something good did happen, preceded by the same good thing happening many times. I've been this happy for the past two days!"

The small nymph blinks, looking up at her in shock. "...you two did it for two days straight?" She laughs brightly, shaking her head. "What, did you have to stop because you passed out?"

Smirking to herself and the nymph, Silk flicks her tail as she walks past. "Silly Dior, we paced ourselves. We stopped yesterday so I could recover enough to be out and about today." She winks. "We started much earlier last week."

The marble changeling's smile slowly falls as the mare walks away. When she's alone, she looks at her hooves, downcast. "...lucky girl..."

Inside, the others already gathered and keeping themselves busy. Ditzy freely arranges the cushions, it having been decided that they are far preferable to chairs for casual evenings. Fiddlesticks sets out a large plate of inexplicably tiny sandwiches popular with the nobility, talking kitchen with Gel. Luster observes all, having a glow about her from recent events.

Silk smiles as she sees all of them, looking around. "Hey girls!"

Gel turns to look, brightening up immediately at the sight of her friend. "Silk!" She rushes over and embraces the mare, her sandwich dropping on the table, forgotten. "I'm so glad you could make it!"

As the yellow earth mare puts the discarded sandwich on a plate for later, the pegasus of similar coat color hugs her blue friend back tightly with wings and legs. "Wouldn't miss it, hun. We don't often get a girls' night."

"I know, right? This is..." She trails off, brow furrowing slightly. "...actually, I think this might be our first girls' night." Gel looks over her shoulder. "Did you have one without me, Fiddlesticks?" She pauses briefly. "It's alright if I call you that, right?"

Waving her hoof, the dual-named earth mare answers. "Whichever you want to, Gel. I've lived half my life as either one, so I answer to both. And no, this is the first one."

"Here's hoping it isn't the last!" Ditzy interjects.

"Agreed!" She looks to the second platter of food by the gray mare, missing her mother walking in the room. "...what flavor are those, by the way?"

"Strawberry and banana," she answers, gesturing to the plate of muffins. "I've been practicing combos lately. Dinky loves to help."

"Heh." Dior smirks, shaking her head as she mutters to herself. "Everyone here loves bananas, right?"

The indigo nymph, the only one there close enough to hear that, looks to her wife, a seductive smile on her lips. I think I prefer a nice peach, myself.

Smiling from the cheeky comment, Octavia answers back along their little private mental channel. Peaches and cream are definitely my favorite thing for after dinner... or any other time of the day.

Careful, now. Luster narrows her eyes, tail flicking behind her. I hear my libido should be getting bigger soon... wouldn't want me to keep you from a performance, would you?

The second host of the evening smiles serenely back. You perform beautifully no matter the distraction, love.

"You know, these are actually quite delicious." Gel giggles, booping Ditzy on the nose. "Almost as good as cream puffs."

"Thank you!" Ditzy's cheeks go a little rosy as her tail swishes happily. "I know how much you love those, so that means a lot!" Silk just giggles from the side, knowing exactly what she means.

"Yeah, she's loved them ever since she was little." Dior giggles, walking up and patting her taller daughter on the leg. "She'd ask me to bring some back every time I left the hive."

The yellow pegasus smirks. "Seems someone already had a predisposition for things sweet and poofy. I wonder if that explains Rhino..."

Gel blushes, looking down at her mother with a small pout. "Maybe... I wish she'd keep embarrassing stories to herself, though..."

"Now what's the fun in that?" The small nymph laughs, bumping Gel's side with her head. "I have the right to tell stories of your youth."

"Oh?" The navy changeling's eyes narrow dangerously. "Then I expect I can tell the story of how flustered you got when you learned of Flick's crush?" When she stiffens to the point of looking like a statue, Gel smirks triumphantly. "Then we're in agreement."

As Octavia raises an eyebrow at her wife due to this new information on her brother, Silk, ever the one to provoke reactions from others, jumps in. "Oh? The mysterious silver changeling attracting all the eyes hmm?"

Dior groans, rubbing her forehead. "...Flicker just lusted after me... he thought he was in love, but I had to sit him down and explain what was going on..."

Gel covers her mouth, snickering. "She gave him the birds and the bees talk. He was too embarrassed to be near her after that!"

"Oh, I bet that was awkw- wait... Flicker?" Silk tilts her head, confused. "Flicker? His name is Flicker?"

"Yes, his name is Flicker, given for his talent for going intangible." She nods over her shoulder at the indigo changeling. "Her name is Lustrous. She had a somewhat metallic sheen to her chitin when she was young. My daughter is Gelatin," she averts her eyes, blushing softly, "because... it was my favorite dessert... I'm not good at making names..."

Ditzy puts a hoof to her chin. "Huh... I guess they all use shortened names... I always thought Gel was named for that slime spit thing she does occasionally."

"Oh, that was just a coincidence." Dior waves a hoof dismissively, then turns to Octavia, a small, hopeful smile on her lips. "Speaking of gelatin..."

The mare smiles, taking the cover off the last bowl to reveal translucent jiggling cubes. "I remembered. I haven't had a dessert this fun in a while..." She nudges the bowl, giggling to herself as it jiggles again.

You know, Luster walks over, smiling warmly, you look adorable when you laugh. She tenderly nuzzles her cheek, pulling her into a gentle embrace.

"You two have the rest of the night to have fun together." Dior rolls her eyes, trying to climb onto the table with the wobbly treats. "Maybe your fun time can wait?"

As Octavia kisses her wife on the cheek as she hugs her back, she doesn't verbally answer Dior, instead taking in her struggles to get on the table with a casual air.

Ditzy does the same, but with confusion. "Umm... couldn't you just fly up there?"

"They're too small." She grunts, straining to reach the bowl. "Not enough lift..."

Nudging Gel in the side meaningfully, Silk nods her head toward the tiny changing, motioning for her to go over there.

Sighing softly, the navy nymph steps forward, wrapping a leg underneath her mother's body. "Here." She puts her down on the table, stumbling backwards when the other literally dives face first into the gelatin. She slowly turns to the others, blushing in embarrassment at her mom's actions. "...she's not like this normally, I swear."

The rest of them nod as Silk smiles. "I do see where you get the look in your eye you have when you spy cream puffs now."

Unable to come up with a retort, Gel looks to the floor, tapping it with a hoof. "I can't help that they're so delicious..."

"We know, dear... I'm just sorry I don't know how to make them." Fiddles shrugs apologetically, waving around. "At least we have variety and each other, right? Plenty of time for us girls to do what we want."

"Yes, that's true..." Her ear twitches, cerulean eyes darting towards a window. "...Luster, did-"

This is private property, and properly marked as such. She huffs, shaking her head. Stop worrying, already.

Ditzy walks to a window and takes a quick peek before looking back at Gel. "Did you hear a sound or something? I don't see anything..."

"...it must've been an animal." The nymph sighs, resting her head on the table. "Sorry, girls, I just... I worry that you-know-who might be up to something... I've barely gotten three hours of sleep the past few days..."

"Ah yes... PALS." Silk practically growls the word as everypony in the room frowns with the same expression. "I would tell you not to lose sleep over them, but it seems to be too late for that. I am thankful that they are the minority in town as far as opinions go."

"So am I... but they're quite outspoken... I just..." She trails off for a few moments before quiet snoring can be heard.

Dior, standing on the table upon which her daughter rest her head, cranes her neck to look at her face. "Huh. Out like a candle."

The yellow pegasus folds her ears back. "Aww... I had an announcement to make..."

"One sec..." The stone changeling brings up a hoof, tapping on the sleeping girl's head. "Wake up, now. Rhino has a surprise for you."

She bolts upright, knocking her mother onto her back as she frantically glances around. "Huh, what?"

Octavia smiles at this. "That's all it takes, hmm? Though I do wonder what our fluffy friend would have to say if he knew you weren't getting enough sleep..."

Silk hums. "I'm torn between saying he'd be sure to tire her out so much she can't do anything but sleep, or he'd end up the same way from worry."

Probably both.

Gel groans, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "Not helping..."

"Well, I may have something that could perk you up." Silk starts to get the same smile she had when she arrived.

Dior sits up, rubbing the back of her sore head. "Is it that your husband screwed your brains out over the past week?"

The navy nymph recoils, eyes wide in shock. "Mom!"

Blushing heavily so as to be compared to a tomato, Silk scuffs her hoof against the ground. "I wasn't going to focus much on that part..."

"Wait... with the time of year it is..." Ditzy's eyes widen.

"Mmmhmm..." Silk can't help but smile. "I'm pregnant."

Gel crosses the room in a blur, hugging her friend excitedly. "Congratulations! Oh, I bet your child will be the best of friends with ours!"

As Ditzy runs over and does the same, Silk smiles, hugging them both tightly. "Darn right they will! Our little ones will be just as good of friends as us!"

Luster watches from her spot by her wife, turning to her with a soft smile.

Tavi looks to her curiously. "Think we should add in our information?"

The nymph nods to the other, silently giggling.

Stepping forward, the mare waits until the others are done congratulating their friend. "On a coincidental note... Luster and I have the same news. She's pregnant." The beaming smile on her face leaves no doubt.

Silk and Ditzy both rush forward to the purple changeling, looking at her stomach as they smile. "How?" Ditzy asks.

A... generous donation. She turns to the side, her face flushed with color.

Silk tilts her head. "That makes sense... do we know the father? Do you even want to share who it is?"

"I'm sure she would've said so, if she wanted to share." They turn to Dior, who is poking at the dessert before her dejectedly. "Congrats, by the way."

Seeing the littlest yet oldest of them acting like this, Fiddles walks over. "Dior... you seem saddened by all the news..."

"I'm fine." She grabs the bowl in both hooves and lifts it over her head, downing half of it in one gulp. "Just hungry..." She trails off, almost as if worried about continuing.

"Hmm..." She looks seriously at the white changeling with now blue-stained lips. "You know you can talk with all of us about anything, right? We support each other, through anything."

Dior looks up at her, then back to the bowl, ears twitching. "...it's embarrassing..."

Gel sighs, shaking her head. "In that case, you-"

"I need a stallion's touch."

With a small thump, all occupants look to the now unconscious navy nymph. Silk is the one to voice things. "Oh dear... well, maybe not all of us are ready to hear everything..."

Ditzy instead looks to the silver changeling. "It is a perfectly reasonable feeling though, especially from what we all heard of your situation."

"It's been ten years, now." She groans, resting her head in her hooves. "I still go through heats, but my body made a new cycle that screwed everything up... I don't even know when my next one's going to be, and I'll probably look like a moron petitioning some random stallion off the street for sex." She collapses on the table, her face landing in the bowl to hide her burning cheeks.

"Umm... try not to take this the wrong way, hun, but..." Silk hesitates, "I really don't think any stallion would take you up on that offer... except ones you really don't want to."

"I know!" She shudders, curling up on herself a little. "I feel terrible just thinking about it..."

The two pegasi in the room make her their next hug victim as they nuzzle her. "There there... I'm sure there's a much better way than that worst case scenario." Silk continues to be the speaker.

"I... I can only hope so..." She sniffles, eating her dessert in the attempt to drown her sorrows. She coughs, giving them a weak smile. "Sorry to be such a downer... maybe we should get back to what our hosts had planned?"

Fiddles looks around. "Well... honestly the only planned things were to eat and talk, so..." She brightens up. "Ah, here's an idea that might get your mind off things." She walks over to the cushions, the other following. Ditzy sets Gel on a cushion while Silk brings Dior and her gelatin bowl. "Any advice for those of us now expecting? Since you have experience and all."

Silk perks up and nods quickly. "Yes, I was planning on asking Gel and Ditzy the same, but you have experience of more than a few months."

She huffs, looking to the golden pegasus. "I've still only had one child." Rolling her eyes, she gestures to the mare. "Look, given the size of changeling foals, you won't have any unforeseen issues, unless your child has a horn. Basic lamaze and maybe a bit of... intimacy... and you should be fine."

Silk blinks. "La-what and intimacy? What do those have to do with anything?"

"One helps with your breathing, which helps with the pain, and the other helps you stretch a little easier, in case your foal's on the pony side of size." She quirks an eyebrow. "Was that clear enough, Miss Tease?"

Coughing into her hoof, Silk nods. "Umm, yes, quite..."

Ditzy raises a hoof. "Well, aside from how lucky you guys are for getting to push out small foals, do you have any general advice for rearing them?"

"Where to begin..." She raises a hoof, eyes twinkling with mirth. "First off, if they nip you, don't get mad. That's how changelings show affection..."