• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,183 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,183

Chapter 24: Date Night

After a nice day off and spending the entirety of it simply relaxing with the family, things go back to normal for them on Friday. Work goes by as usual, with the only allusion to their exploits the other day being a single acknowledging comment from Manila, the rest went unsaid. There was one thing different about today though, because in all the excitement Rhino had almost forgotten that he and Gel had a date night planned today.

While there was a small hiccup in these plans, seeing as both Dior and Hydro were busy today, this was solved fairly easily as Mane had volunteered to drop by after her shift was over to foalsit. As she put it, she had nothing else to do tonight, why not enjoy it with a foal and pets she already liked spending time with?

Thus we find both parents leisurely getting ready for the night ahead as the afternoon rolls closer to evening.

Gel stands in front of their bathroom mirror, straightening her shimmery blue dress. She cranes her neck, calling into the adjoining room. "Be sure to dress well, love. The pony I talked to said that at least semi-formal attire is required."

"Understood!" Rhino calls back as he takes out his nice dinner jacket before browsing through his shirts. "Do I still not get to know where we're going?"

"Nope!" She giggles, carefully slipping on her earrings. "I want it to be a surprise - I know you'll like it, though!"

"Fair enough." He replies. "We seem to be quite good at getting each other surprises." He turns to the filly on the bed, laying on her back and waving her hooves in the air. "What do you think, Ruby? Blue shirt?"

She babbles brightly, reaching out towards him and the clothes. "Da!"

The stallion chuckles. "Now how did I know that's what you were going to say? Let's see... button up shirt, jacket... hat?" He levitates a standard black fedora out of the closet. "Hmm... yes, I like this hat." He sets it all on the bed next to ruby, giving the foal's exposed belly a nuzzle as he does so.

She happily squeals, hugging and nipping his nose.

He laughs, pursing his lips and giving her belly a raspberry.

She laughs, kicking her little legs at this.

Enjoying her laughter, he continues for a moment before stopping and panting a light kiss on her forehead. "That's my girl..."

She coos softly, a small smile on her lips. "Dada..."

"Aww..." He can't resist the urge to nuzzle her again. "Why is it you always seem to act cuter just before we have to go somewhere?"

She tilts head to one side, blinking up at him curiously. "Dada?"

He shakes his head, knowing she can sense his feelings to some degree and switching back to just loving her instead of slight worry. "Nothing, sweetie. Daddy is just thinking of how much he loves you."

She flips over, stumbling over to him and nuzzling his chest. "Dada..."

"I guess I can wait a few minutes to get dressed..." He scoops her up, holding her close and closing his eyes as he nuzzles her back.

"Aww..." Gel emerges from the bathroom, smirking coyly. "Going to miss her while we're on our date, love?"

He nods, motioning to himself holding her. "Did you want a turn?"

"Of course." She giggles, stepping forward and gently nuzzling their daughter as she takes her. "Besides, you need to get dressed, love. We're leaving as soon as Mane arrives, remember?"

"Right..." He nods in acknowledgement as he starts donning his clothing. "Do I get to know if you have anything else planned after dinner? Or is that a secret too?" He winks.

"Oh, love." She smirks at him, a playful twinkle in her eye. "I can't say what I have planned for later. Especially not in front of little Ruby!" She glances at the foal, sighing as she sees her quietly napping against her chest.

"Fair enough, love." He buttons up his shirt with a bit of magic. "Off to sleep again, huh? I guess whether she's awake or not will determine if we say goodbye."

"I guess that makes sense..." She smiles at him, eyeing his clothes approvingly. "Those should do quite nicely."

"Good, because the only thing I have that looks better than this is my full suit." He slips on his jacket and flips his hat onto his head. "Speaking of looks, you are looking particularly radiant tonight, my dear."

"I'm glad to hear that!" She glances back at her body, smiling softly. "I asked Rarity to make it for me, just for this occasion."

Surprisingly, the stallion lets out a sigh of relief. "Oh good, it's new. I was worried I'd forgotten it since I didn't recognize it from a previous date."

"If that was the case," she sticks her tongue at him, "I'd be asking for a little something extra tonight." She pauses, a hoof tracing circles on the floor as she thinks. "Maybe I should've used an older dress, then..."

He goes over to the door, holding it open for her as he responds with a smile. "You know you can always ask for it anyway, right?"

"I know." She smiles, pecking his cheek as she walks by. "I just like to see you flustered and excited."

His tail flicks her flank as he cheekily retorts. "The same to you."

The navy nymph bites her lip to keep her squeal in before she starts down the steps. "I think everything will be just fine, love. Are you sure you can handle being apart from her, though?"

He follows her, his voice matter-of-fact as he speaks, as if he has resigned himself to what he says. "I'm sure I'll experience the usual small heartache, but at least we won't be gone overnight this time."

"True enough." She brushes her tail along his chin, giggling quietly. "She'll probably be asleep when we return, though..."

"True," he concedes, "but asleep or not, a good nuzzle does both parties a world of good. I think you and I know that first hoof from the mornings one of us wakes up before the other."

"Of course." She reaches the bottom of the stairs, walking forward and pausing next to the door. "Are the little ones in the living room?"

A squeak from the room in question partially answers her while Rhino peeks in. "Yep. Merc is playing with his squeaky fish, Specs is chewing his block next to Selena who appears to be trying to unravel the secrets of the universe contained within her yarn ball."

Gel smiles, walking over and carefully holding their sleeping daughter out to him. "Would you like to hold her a bit longer, love? Before we leave?"

"I'd never deny a chance to hold her, unless you wanted to instead." He takes the foal softly and she instantly snuggles against his fluffy coat. Almost inaudibly, the stallion comments. "Definitely having more of you..."

The nymph's ear twitches at this, and a small smile grows on her lips. She glances up at the grandfather clock, curious. "When is she supposed to show up, again?"

"Should be any minute now I think..." Rhino takes a few steps to the window and peers out, a shape approaching the house down the path catching his eye. "Ah, that should be her."

She joins him at the window, peeking out as well. "I see she had time to change. Probably good, since we don't want anyone getting territorial..."

"Probably exactly why she did so, though I admit it's a little odd to see her with her mane half-down like that. I don't think I've seen it not in a bun since I've known her..." He tilts his head, looking at the mare almost to their house now, bare of her usual white coat and now only wearing her saddlebags.

"I'll admit, it's a bit different." Gel giggles, bumping his side. "Though you've gotta admit, she pulls the look off really well."

"I'll side with you on that, of course I have my own eye candy to compare her to, so I'm probably not the best one to ask." He gives his wife a peck on the cheek.

She sticks her tongue out at him, smirking coyly. "Flatterer." She moves to the door and opens it, waving to the mare. "Hello, there!"

"Hey you two!" Mane calls as she waves back, stepping onto the porch. "I'm not late am I?"

"No, you're right on time." She opens the door wider, nodding. "Please, come in!"

The mare does so, wiping her hooves on the mat outside the door as she looks around with a smile. "Your home is still as lovely as ever."

"Thank you, Mane." A yip reaches her ears and she turns, watching the silver fox barrel into the foyer. He slides a bit as he tries to change direction, eventually getting his footing and rushing up to her, sitting down and smiling up at her. Gel laughs softly, shaking her head. "I think someone is happy to see you..."

Mane giggles as she leans down, taking a hoof and petting the fox fondly. "There's my little buddy. Are you going to keep me company while I'm here this evening?"

He yips, leaning into her hoof and murring softly.

As the mare giggles again, Rhino chuckles along with her. "Her really seems to be bonding with you lately. I guess he decided he liked you."

"I prefer to think of it as he always liked me, we just didn't get to hang out much before." She responds as she stands back up, spotting the little one in his foreleg. "Aww... she's asleep already?"

The filly squirms as she says those words, her green eyes slowly blinking open. She turns to the mare, her gaze unfocused, and reaches out to her. "Niwa?"

Mercury promptly jumps up, licking the foal's cheek and eliciting a happy squeal from her.

Mane just smiles at the filly. "Not quite, Ruby. I'm Mane. You don't have to say my name just yet though," she looks to the parents, "I'm more impressed she can say as much as she can right now."

"She's definitely a bright filly." Gel giggles, bumping Rhino's side. "Got it from her dad."

He bumps her back. "And she got some from you I think. If nothing else, she at least got being adorable from you."

Mane just giggles at the two of them. "I have a feeling I need to stop both of you so you don't stand there complimenting each other until you miss your date."

"Oh!" She turns to the clock again, her hooves shuffling fearlessly. "Right, the reservation's in ten minutes!"

"Alright, alright." Rhino slowly and softly transfers Ruby over to Mane. "I trust you with her, just be careful, okay?"

"I'm honored you trust me with what is most precious to you. I'll keep her safe, I promise." The fellow veterinarian gives her co-workers a smile that displays her confidence.

"Thank you. See you later!" She grabs her stallion's foreleg and rushes off. On their way out, she pouts cutely at him. "I'm precious to you, too, right?"

"Of course," he responds, catching up and nuzzling her affectionately, "and tonight, I'll show you exactly how much."

She smirks, her tail entwining in his. "I'm gonna hold you to that, love."

As the door closes and the couple go on their way, Mane looks down to the foal in her foreleg. "Well, you certainly seem to take it better when they leave now. At least according to the tales I heard of your first time away from them."

She looks up at the mare with wide eyes, holding her tiny hooves out to her. "Niwa hug?"

Mane giggles, hugging the foal gently and warmly regardless of the identity confusion. "I'm not Manila, I'm Mane. I know we look alike though, so that may be why you're confused..."

The young filly babbles happily, batting at a lock of blue mane that fell into her reach.

Laughing, the mare looks down to the silver fox at her hooves. "Come on, why don't we all go into the living room so we don't just spend all evening here in the entrance hall?"

He yips happily, leaping up onto her back. He eagerly rubs his muzzle against the soft mane before him, murring contentedly.

"Everypony loves my mane today..." She muses as she walks into the living room. "Now let's see... milk in the fridge, diapers in the closet, toys in here, crib upstairs but it's usually fine as long as she sleeps on something soft. Somehow I think as much as Rhino checked I knew that, it'll still be in my head by the time Ruby's out of diapers..."

The filly in question has shifted in her foreleg, looking over the mare's shoulder and giggling brightly. "Me'cwy!"

Right as she says this, the fox taps one of the marks on the mare's hips. He paws and presses against it curiously, never leaving his new perch right above her tail.

The mare's blue tail flicks as her head cranes around sharply in surprise. "Hey, what are you up to back there? There's no foxes on my cutie marks you know, or... well, there weren't, I suppose there is now..."

He looks up at her, tilting his head to the side. He starts to pull his paws away but instead rubs the dog in her mark with one, the other being brought to his underside.

Giggling at the sensation, she waggles a hoof at him, more teasing than stern. "Careful mister, I know the pictures are pretty, but pads only, no claws. At least you're more nice about it than some of the cats I have to deal with."

He huffs, holding his free paw out to her. The other continues to stroke through her fur, accidentally applying pressure there due to his current pose.

Her tail flicks a few more times, but she doesn't comment on it again. Instead she moves her muzzle to meet his paw, needing three of her legs to stand and the other to hold the foal.

He pats her muzzle before holding it up a little higher, showing the blunt tips of his claws. This happens to be the moment his matching set on the other forepaw starts to press against her.

She tilts her head at him, trying to figure out what he's doing and why. "You are a very odd little one... at least you're nice though."

He happily yips, jumping up and licking her cheek. His attention is soon caught, however, by the filly climbing over the mare's shoulder and onto her back with him.

"Oh?" Mane looks at the foal as she parks herself on her back. "Is it time for everypony to ride on my back then?"

She nods and claps her hooves, laughing brightly. She glances down at the mare's mane, leaning down and nuzzling it.

Seeing this and not wanting to be outdone, Mercury turns around and leaps onto the floor. He buries his muzzle in the tip of her tail, sniffing and nuzzling it eagerly.

Blinking, the mare watches the two of them go at it. "What is with all of your fascinations with my mane and tail tonight? I'm certainly glad it's keeping you entertained, but I have no idea why. I'm starting to think all of you would mob me if I actually got comfortable and laid down."

The silver fox stops, walking around and sitting in front of her, his tail swishing idly behind him.

Seeing this, she laughs lightly and rolls her eyes. "Alright, I suppose i didn't want to just stand around in my saddlebags all night." She cranes her head around and picks the foal up by her scuff, setting her on the ground next to the fox before slipping off her bags and laying down next to them. "Ah, that's better."

The two leap as soon as she's on the floor, cuddling up against either side of her chest. Mercury softly licks her fur, as though grooming her coat. Ruby, seeing him do that, decides to give it a try and licks the other side of her, doing this twice before switching to nipping the mare.

This leaves the mare in a state of giggles. As she is forced onto her side from the onslaught, she tosses one look at the other two pets in thee room. "Enjoying the show you two?"

The gray feline looks up at her from her place on top of the squirrel, his ear in her mouth. She releases it to mewl once and then nuzzles the darker pet, purring contentedly.

Mane shakes her head. "If you were any other cat and squirrel I'd be worried you were going to eat him, but with you two it's just adorable." Her gaze goes back to the fox and foal. "Your whole family has always been very touchy and affectionate to those you like."

Mercury nods and yips, stepping forward and nuzzling her cheek.

Meanwhile, Ruby toddles in the other direction. The tiny unicorn noses at her belly, whining quietly after a few moments.

Mane yelps quietly and closes her, legs, looking down at the foal. "Whoa there you. I may have the weapons, but I don't have the ammo."

She turns to the mare, whining a bit more and poking her legs. A soft grumble comes from the filly's belly, startling her into looking around nervously.

"Well, if what you did before wasn't a good sign, that just now was a billboard." She rolls over and stands, picking up the foal in her foreleg. "Come on, let's get you something to soothe that tummy of yours. Come along, Mercury." She starts walking to the kitchen.

The fox eagerly follows her, leaping up onto her back after a few feet. He promptly curls up there, his bushy tail draping over his nose.

The mare enters the kitchen and heads straight for the fridge. The bottles inside are at the forefront and quite obvious. After a short bit of hoof and mouth work with assistance from the microwave, Ruby's bottle is warmed up and fully prepared. Seeing that her only spare hoof is occupied and she can't sit down due to the fox on her back, Mane picks up the bottle around it's side with her mouth and angles it so Ruby can drink from it.

Ruby giggles brightly and taps the mare's cheek, watching her use what she sees as an silly method. She doesn't laugh long, though, as her hunger convinces her to take the nib and drink.

Mercury, seeing the issue he's causing, leaps off and circles around in front of her. He sits down there, his whiskers twitching slightly as he watches them.

Mane sits down gratefully, bringing her other now free hoof into play now to take the bottle from her mouth and hold the bottle. He eyes are soft as she watches the foal drink. "Well, you certainly don't have any problems getting your nutrition."

She looks up at the mare, her own emerald eyes starting to close. Her forehooves reach up and grip the bottle, helping to keep it steady.

Mane muses as she watches the foal. "You know... now that I think about it, it's probably a good thing your mom makes enough milk to keep on hoof when she's not around. I imagine with what her being a changeling and you being a hybrid, normal pony formula might not have everything you need. I know hippogriffs usually have that concern..."

Mercury watches in silence as the filly quietly drinks more of the white liquid, tilting his head to one side. After a moment, he stands and walks out of the room, his tail swishing happily behind him.

The mare watches the fox go as she continues talking to the filly, remembering Rhino said she enjoyed it, even if she didn't understand most if what was being said. "At least pets his age usually don't require constant supervision like you do. It's fine just tending to you, but things could get tricky fast if I had to watch more." She smiles down at the foal. "I wonder how you would be with a sibling your age... Probably double teaming your parents to cute your way into getting whatever you want. Isn't that right?"

She swallows the last ounce and pulls away from the bottle, blinking sleepily up at the mare. She reaches up and touches a lock of blue swaying above her, cooing quietly. "Mae..."

The mare smiles and nuzzles the foal. "Yes Ruby, that's me... And you are just the sweetest thing..."

As she says this, a certain silver creature dashes by the open doorway, dull claws clacking against the floor. The filly giggles, nuzzling her sitter before reaching out to the foyer, brightly babbling.

"Oh?" She looks where the filly is pointing. "Do you think Mercury is up to something? Let's go see..." She trots out of the kitchen, her head swiveling as she looks for the source of the tapping.

As it turns out, the sound comes from her saddlebags - or, more accurately, the fox halfway inside one of them. His hindlegs scrabble against the floor as he tries to find purchase on the smooth surface.

Mane giggles as she and Ruby go over. "You know since it's not work time, I don't have treats. Or are you just trying to go home with me?" She leans down and nudges the fox just enough so he falls into the bag.

He promptly pops back out just enough to lick her nose and upper lip. He rests his paws on the edge, appearing to hopefully smile at her before he notices the sleepy unicorn. His smile slowly becomes subdued and he leans forward, tenderly nuzzling her cheek.

Mane giggles. "What are you going to do now little one? Both of your favorite girls are here."

Mercury glances from one pony to the other, whining softly. He squirms, retreating into the bag, unable to decide.

"Aww..." Mane sticks her head in after him. "You know you can have both of us, right?"

He yips happily, eagerly nuzzling and licking her muzzle in appreciation.

"Come on you sweet talker." She grabs him by his scruff and brings him out, setting him in her foreleg next to Ruby."

The filly, feeling the fox's soft fur against her pelt, rolls over and curls up against his side, humming quietly. He smiles and curls around her, resting his paws on her back. He looks up at Mane, his ears twitching slightly as he gives her a hopeful expression.

She giggles. "Alright alright, a group nap it is." She walks back into the living room and tosses a glance at the other two pets. "We're taking a little snooze on the couch, care to join us?"

Ruby glances at the two of them, yawning softly and cuddling even more into the fox's coat, muttering one word. "S'ecs..."

Mane's ears stand straight up as she looks down at the filly before slowly looking back up and getting onto the couch. "It's just in your mind, a filly would not know that word..."

Selena, watching this exchange, pulls away from the squirrel. 'That's the second time they've reacted to that...' She moves to the side of him, sitting down beside his reclined form. 'That's curious, isn't it?'

'A bit..." The squirrel comments. 'It's just her saying my name...'

'Maybe it's the way she's saying it?' She playfully paws at his nose. 'Whatever it is, it's sure getting them flustered...'

As they watch the three settle onto the couch, the two smaller forms nuzzled up against the larger, Specter nods. 'Maybe... ponies are strange sometimes.'

'Maybe we should ask Miss Fluttershy?' She nudges at his side, mewling softly. 'She could explain it to us, right?' ^

'Maybe...' He scratches her with his tiny claws. 'Do you think we should also ask her about... you know, why we can't seem to get those little things we wanted?'

Selena rolls onto her back, stretching for a moment before responding. 'I think that's a brilliant idea.'

'Glad you think so.' He climbs onto her warm belly, curling up a bit there as he still faces her. Casting a glance at the others on the couch with their eyes closed, he asks, 'Are we going to join them?'

'That depends.' She smirks playfully, licking the tip of his nose. 'Do you want to give up your spot on me?'

His tail waves as he laughs. 'I guess not... do you think we don't sleep with the others enough anymore? I mean I know we both enjoy spending time together, but do you think we aren't doing enough like cuddling with them?'

She looks up at him, her smile slowly fading. 'Maybe... do you think we need to limit our time alone together, then?'

Seeing her smile fade, he gives her cheek a quick lick. 'No, I just think maybe we accept their offers to play or join more often if we're going to be in the same room anyway. Alone together time is still good.'

She purrs softly, giving him a quick nuzzle. 'Alright...' She rolls them over and gets off him, padding towards the couch. 'Let's go spend time with them, then.'

Not saying a word, Specter simply bounds after her, following her lead as she jump up onto the furniture. The two snuggle up next to their other family members, forming one big group of warm bodies as they all relax and let sleep overtake them.

***

The front door quiets clicks, unlocked as Rhino and Gel arrive home, both with small smiles on their faces. The stallion sneaks a quick kiss to his love's cheek as he closes the door. "Well, you certainly know how to plan an evening."

"Thank you, though I wish it'd gone more smoothly." She sighs, leaning against his side. "I'm glad we had some time together, either way..."

He nuzzles her affectionately, a smile still on his face. "Aside from a few one bad apple, I think everything went perfectly. We've been dealing with ponies like that since you were revealed though, nothing new, and nothing we can't handle." His lips give her another reassuring kiss.

"That, and accidentally getting splashed by lemonade when she tripped the waiter." She happily returns it before pulling away and looking up at him. "By the way, I noticed that she didn't say anything else after I returned from the washroom." She quirks an eyebrow, playfully tapping a hoof against the floor. "Did you have anything to do with that, love?"

"Maybe..." He looks away coyly. "I may have had a few words with her, gave her a meaningful look or two... you know, husband things."

Gel giggles, pecking his cheek. "Thank you for that." She gestures to the staircase. "Shall we check on the little ones?"

"Of course." He starts heading up the stairs, Mane waiting just outside the open door of their room as they come up.

She smiles at them, speaking quietly. "Welcome home, you two. I just put all the little ones in bed, they're out like lights."

The navy nymph smiles back, tension she didn't know she had visibly draining from her. "Oh, thank goodness... I take it they didn't give you too big a challenge?"

The mare waves a hoof casually. "No trouble at all. The only thing close to trouble was when I changed Ruby after a small nap and she decided she didn't feel like waiting for a new diaper and instead wanted to run around the house as bare as the rest of us. It was all like one big game, so it was fine."

She blinks, staring blankly at her for a few minutes. "Care to run that one by me again, Doctor Goodall?"

The mare tilts her head before repeating herself. "Your daughter had a nap, afterwards I changed her, but before I could get the new one on, she decided she'd rather run around without one."

She scratches her head, brow furrowing slightly. "You eventually got one on her, though... right?"

"Of course." She steps to the side, motioning the couple inside their room. "She just had a little fun running around as I chased her with it. Made for a good way to start tiring her out too."

"I suppose that's good..." She steps forward, looking towards the bed, curious. "And the others?" She jumps at a small huff, swiftly turning to the mare. "Did... did you just scoff at me?"

Mane just giggles as Rhino spies the real culprit on her back. "That wasn't it, love. I think a certain fox just decided he wanted to be noticed. Isn't that right, Mercury?"

He murrs softly, sleepily nuzzling the nape of the mare's neck. Gel smiles softly, carefully sitting on the edge of the bed. "He really does like you, doesn't he?"

The veterinary mare laughs as she feels him nuzzling her. "It sure seems that way, he and I have just been becoming good friends. Manila isn't the only one who likes her little furry friends you know."

The nymph blinks, tilting her head to one side. "Wait, so... Manila has a pet? Or did you mean something else?"

"Well, you know how at work Manila is always the one playing with them while I act professional, maybe give them a bit of affection but not overly so? I'm just saying I like to play too."

"Well, then," she beams, gesturing to the mare and her passenger, "I think that explains why you and Merc get along so well... though he should probably be heading off to sleep, now." She glances at the snoozing fox, shaking her head. "I think Rhino should move him, personally."

The stallion throws a dramatic foreleg over his brow, whispering with an appropriate tone as his horn lights up and he lifts the pet over to his bed. "Oh such a brutal life I live, being constantly forced to lift all things small, furry, and adorable."

"Don't act like you dislike it, love." Gel giggles brightly, shaking her head and turning to the mare. "Thank you, again, for looking after them, Doctor Goodall."

"You don't have to call me that you know, Gel." The earth pony smiles. "Just 'Mane' is fine."

She blushes, lowering her head slightly. "I... I guess if you're alright with it, Do-" She covers her mouth, squeaking slightly. "I-I mean Mane."

"Good girl." The vet pats her head. "Now, it's getting late, and I should be heading home."

Rhino looks to her. "Again, thank you very much for this."

She pats him too. "Oh, it was a fun evening for me. Be sure to let me know if you need me to do it again, and I'll gladly accept."

He laughs. "Will do, will do."

"I hope you have a nice trip back home, Mane." She waves kindly, leaning over and leaning up against her stallion's side.

Their friend waves back as she dons her bags and heads downstairs, soon out the door and back towards town.

Rhino lights up his horn, locking the front door and turning off the entrance light before giving Gel a kiss on the cheek. "Come on, let's see how she's doing."

She smiles and nods, entwining their tails together as they approach the crib. She watches the filly cuddles a green plush toy in her sleep, giving a quiet 'aww'. "She looks so happy..." She quietly sighs, sitting down next to the crib. "From what Mane said, Ruby's starting to handle our absence rather well... but I worry that there might be a bit more to it..." She looks to him, smiling weakly. "What do you think, love?"

"Well..." Rhino thinks a moment before answering. "I'm glad she's okay when we are away, as there are times when we need to be, but what part are you worried about?"

She quietly scuffs a hoof against the carpet, embarrassed. "That she'll want to play more with others?"

He tilts his head. "Isn't that a good thing for when she's older? Or are you worried more about right now and missing out on bonding?"

"T-the second one..." She sighs, her ears folding flat to her head. "Am I being too... selfish?"

"Not at all, love." Her husband nuzzles her, putting much love into the action. "You simply want to be close to your daughter, something you know I approve of and practice myself. You know how much I want to spend every moment with her, this is just your version of that."

She leans into the gesture, quietly humming. "Thank you, love... now," she rubs against his shirt with a hoof, smiling coyly, "shall we get you out of these clothes?"