• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,186 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,186

Chapter 23: Relaxing Day

If the sun were sentient and keeping track of the usual situations it finds itself shining down on, it would be slightly confused at the scene it would find in the home of Fiddlesticks and Luster. As the orb is nither though, it is indifferent to the presence of two different pony and changeling couples sleeping away on the enchanted cloud bed. As it's rays pass through the tiny crack in the curtains, they manage to land right on their target of the yellow mare's eyelids.

Fiddles' face scrunches as she finds herself waking, rolling her head slightly before she opens her eyes. A soft brilliant smile comes to her face as she spies her purple nymph, before another of her senses wakes up fully and prompts her to act. Shaking her head, the mare slips off the bed and quickly trotts over to the window, sliding it open and sticking out her head to get a gulp of fresh air as opposed to the pungent smell of the hours of activity from the previous day.

The swift, rather noisy action rouses another of the ones on the bed. The navy changeling slowly sits up, looking at the mare in confusion. "Fiddlesticks? What are you..." Her voice trails off as the scents around her finally register in her mind. She covers her nose, gagging softly. "Dear Luna!" She quietly stumbles out of bed, joining the mare at the window and taking a few deep breaths.

"Exactly." The mare casually remarks to her friend. "Don't get me wrong, there's nothing quite like sweat, musk, and pheromones when you're in the mood, but afterward... you need to let air circulate, especially after marathons like that."

Gel lowers her head onto the windowsill, still struggling to get over her light-headedness. "I just smell sweat... and some leftover lust..." She rubs her eyes, looking out and smiling softly. "Lovely sunrise, isn't it?"

"That it is..." she replies as they see the light wash over Sweet Apple Acres, "that it is..." She looks back to the two sleeping forms on the bed. "You think they'll be okay today? I know mares in heat have remarkable powers of recovery, but I'm not sure what toll that potion you used will leave on Rhino."

"It's a health tonic mixed with a hydrator." She shrugs, letting her wings slowly emerge. "He'll be ready to get up in... about a half hour, I think. Maybe sooner. Probably wanting some more milk." She giggles brightly as she starts fanning the musky air out the window. "That's how he was, last time."

"I really never understood how he drinks so much of that." The mare remarks. "But I guess it's good for him, so no harm done."

"It helps quite a bit." Gel smirks, wagging a hoof at her. "It also made him open to a... certain thing I'd wanted to try for a while."

"Hmm?" Fiddles raises her eyebrow. "Do I want to know?"

She shrugs, blushing softly. "Just something he promised to try when we're alone... which hasn't happened, yet..." She sighs wistfully, looking down at a couple bunnies, watching them stare back before hopping into their den near the house. "Forgive me for asking, but... why do you like being in public?"

"Well... I suppose everything is pretty much out in the open now." Fiddles shifts her posture a bit to get comfortable. "Well, first off it's not being in public I like, it's more... the possibility of being discovered. I'm not just going to get rutted out in the street after all. Honestly, it probably has something to do with being on a stage most of my life, so having a part of it that isn't supposed to yet knowing there is a potential for an unexpected audience... just gives a sort of adrenaline rush at the difference I guess."

"And when you do get discovered?" She turns to the bed, blushing a bit more. "Like, say... last year, at the Music Festival?"

She giggles nervously. "Well... I'll admit that was the first time we were caught. Thankfully it was just you two so we didn't get in trouble. I'll admit some part of me wanted to continue, but that was more of my lust-filled side than my logical one. Actually getting discovered isn't the fun part anyway, it's the 'almost getting discovered' part."

"I'll take your word for it." She stretches with a small groan, nodding toward the bed where the other nymph starts shifting around, she eventually scoots over enough that the sleeping stallion's snuggling foreleg finds her in roughly the same spot Gel was. Acting on unconscious instinct, the foreleg draws her in and soon both are snuggling contently once more. "Think we should get breakfast ready for them? They do seem comfortable, after all..."

"That sounds like an excellent idea." Taking a few last breaths of air, though the room is much better smelling than it was a few minutes prior by now, she turns around, heading toward the door and opening it. "We'll all get a nice breakfast then you two can be on your way home to your filly. I'm sure she misses you very much."

Gel flinches slightly, pausing for a second before nodding slowly. "You're probably right... I hope Ruby isn't too upset..."

Fiddles senses the pause, coming back and giving the nymph a friendly nudge towards the door. "It'll only make you worry more to think of it like that. Instead, think of how you want to spend your day with her and your husband."

She giggles, letting herself be led out the room. "You have a point... besides, you've got a bit more to worry about than me." She sticks her tongue out at her. "You're the one with the pregnant wife, after all."

"Very true..." The mare laughs good-naturedly. "I guess I'll have to brush up on where to get every kind of food, some nice hoof-rubbing techniques, and various ways to convince her she isn't fat."

"Hoof-rubbing?" She taps her chin, thoughtful. "I think you should look into full-body massage, as well. Just in case."

"Hmm... good point." Fiddles nods approvingly as they head down the stairs.

A couple minutes after the two leave, the indigo nymph stirs, groaning softly. She brings a hoof up, running it through the fluffy fur of his stomach, thoroughly confused. Sugar... when did you get ripped?

Hearing the voice in his head, the stallion groan as he starts to wake up, bringing the nymph closer to him. "Mmm... what was that, Gel?"

Luster squeaks, her forelegs pinned to her chest. She tries to squirm free, groaning and gasping quietly. Not so tight! I can't breathe!

He shifts again, his group loosening as his eyes crack open. "Sorry lo-Luster?" He blinks, trying to puzzle out why there's a purple nymph is his grip instead of a blue one.

She pants softly, resting her head against his chest. I didn't realize... how much of a hugger you are...

His foreleg still idly around her, he speaks. "Umm... yes... Why are you... Where is Gel?"

She sniffs the air, smiling softly. If I'm not mistaken... making breakfast with Fiddles... She pecks his cheek, giggling brightly. Thank you, by the way... for what you did...

"You're welcome..." He looks at her a moment, his mind almost fully to him now. "I guess things took, considering you seem to be yourself this morning."

I guess they did... She yawns, reluctantly pulling away and rubbing her belly. What do you think the foal will be? A colt or a filly?

"I think either would suit you just fine." He lets out a chuckle. "It's the details that are the wildcard. Oh, this is just a theory, but try to decide on what you want it to look like. Twilight thinks you can affect this so it might be interesting to see if it works for you too."

The nymph blinks, looking at him in mild confusion. I'll keep that in mind... She gestures to him, curious. Is that what happened with you and Ruby?

He nods. "We couldn't have anticipated her tribe changing ability, but her appearance is everything we envisioned." He smiles fondly as he thinks of his daughter.

I see... She coyly smiles, tapping his forehead. I bet you want to get home to your little bundle of joy, hmm?

He smirks knowingly at her. "You've known me to be a big softy since we met. Surely that doesn't surprise you? Besides, just wait until you have your own and see if you don't feel the same way."

I don't doubt I will. She sticks her tongue out at him and sits up. Should we head downstairs before our wives worry? Or would you prefer to cuddle some more?

Sitting up and yawning, he answers. "Normally I'd pick cuddling, but... it's still a little odd feeling for me to do that to anypony but my wife."

I know. The nymph smirks, playfully elbowing his side. Why else do you think I asked?

"Fair enough." He chuckles a moment before looking at her curiously. "Which one you pick, for curiosity's sake."

She gets off the bed, chuckling quietly. Isn't it obvious?

"With you I can hardly ever tell." He slips off the bed as well. "You do have quite the poker face."

That I do. She winks at him. You have a good one, too. Not every pony can hide their emotions like you can.

"I guess..." Letting out a short laugh, he continues. "Doesn't do a thing when your wife and a few of your friends are changelings."

You'd be surprised... She shakes herself, glancing over at him and smirking coyly. You may want to tidy yourself up, Rhino. Don't want the town wondering about your... beard... when did you start growing that?

"Is it that bad?" He rubs the dark stubble on his chin, feeling the roughness of the more coarse hairs working their way through his coat. "I know I forgot for a few days and I've been debating growing it out for the winter, but still..."

No, you just... caught me by surprise... She clears her throat, gesturing to his chin. You just got some... flaking, there... probably from last night...

"Oh... bleh!" He wipes a hoof quickly across his chin, not wanting to know what was dried there. "I'll have to be sure to take a shower once we get home..."

Probably before then. The nymph gestures to the bathroom door. So the townsfolk don't stare, right?

"I... well, thank you." Rhino clears his throat, looking at the door a moment before looking back to Luster. "Umm... the scents aren't too flowery, right? And don't you need to clean up too?"

What, don't you like the smell of blueberries or roses? She giggles, shaking her head. I'll take care of myself later. You're the one who's leaving after breakfast.

"Fair point, I bow to your logic." With a cheeky smile he does just that, bringing his head low for a moment. "With that, I think it's time I get myself clean and even fluffier. Tell Gel I'll be down in a moment, please."

I'll do that right now. She heads to the door, a wing waving at him. See you at breakfast!

He smiles and waves back with a hoof, heading into the bathroom and beginning the arduous task of locating plain shampoo in the excessive collection of bottles most mares have. It's times like these he's happy he and Gel tend to use the same few at their house. He picks up one bottle, raising an eyebrow at it. "What kind of scent combination is honey and lavender?"

***

Breakfast is the usual affair, with only a slight increase in foal-related topics as they chat. Still not wanting to linger too long, thanks are given by Luster and Fiddlesticks while congratulations are given by Rhino and Gel before they head back to their own little pink joy. The trip back to their home is uneventful, curiously uneventful in some ways.

As they exit the tree line in front of their house, Gel decides to voice her confusion. "I'll be honest... I was half-expecting to have someone interrupt our walk home..."

Rhino shrugs casually. "I guess not ponies are out and about just yet. I'm thankful personally, I'm not really in the mood for idle chatting and just standing in the street while Ruby waits for us at home."

She pauses, frowning softly in response. "That's not what I meant, and you know it."

He stops as well, sighing a little. "I know... can't blame me for being optimistic and trying not to let thoughts of PALS ruin my mood."

"It's understandable, love, but..." She leans up, tenderly nuzzling his cheek. "We shouldn't talk about them in front of Ruby... so we need to take care of the subject, now... right?"

"Right..." He sighs again, leaning against her. "You know... I never did get around to asking you what ended up happening after you talked to Twilight about PALS."

"That's the thing..." She rubs the back of her neck, sheepish. "She said... the Princesses couldn't do anything without proof of illegal activity... aside from monitoring them..."

The stallion nods, frowning. "I expected something like that... hoped for more, but expected that. Such is the way of a system that tries to ensure nopony goes to jail that doesn't deserve it while still maintaining personal rights."

"Still better than the hive," Gel sighs, sitting on the ground, "where the law's so muddled even I have trouble following it..."

"Well... I don't really have a followup for that, so how about this?" He puts a foreleg around her and plants a loving kiss on her lips.

She melts into the embrace, humming happily. As they pull apart, she giggles, smiling warmly. "I'm more than alright with that..."

He smiles. "Alright then. Do we need to talk more on this? Or are we just at the point where we are careful but otherwise live our lives?"

"Nothing comes to mind..." She shrugs, smiling softly at him. "Let's go see how mom and Hydro are handling Ruby..."

"Agreed, and see how she did on her first night without us..." His expression drops noticeably for a moment before he catches it and pulls it back to neutral.

She appears to roll her eyes, tapping his forehead with a hoof. "I'm sure she's doing fine. For one thing," she gestures to the house, "there don't seem to be any bright lights coming from the windows... and there's a distinct lack of fear."

He scuffs a hood on the ground, mumbling. "I'm still gonna totally hog both of you all day today..."

"I'm sure your friend will be plenty busy with mom." She winks at him and trots ahead, emphasizing the sway in her steps. "I think they'll want help with a new body, soon..."

He catches up with a few long strides, nipping her flank with his teeth as he passes it. "Well, we haven't heard back from Port about that request Dior sent in for him to discreetly look into the research papers that made her this way, so maybe we'll get a surprise letter or package one of these days."

She nods, flicking his side playfully. "Maybe..." She slows, seeing the red flag up on their mailbox. "Or maybe it's here... we really need to help Ditzy remember that the flag's for outgoing mail..."

He nods, both of them adjusting their angels to head towards the box. "Remind me, does she think it's for both or does she just have it reversed?"

"She thinks it's for both... still don't know how she tells the difference..." She pauses in front of the mailbox, pushing the flag down with a hoof. "She's been a lot busier, lately... have you noticed that?"

"I haven't actually, I would think she would only be busy during the holiday season." He looks at her. "Is it bad? I hope it's not keeping her away from Dinky."

"I don't know..." She pulls the mailbox open. "She still seems happy, at least. And I see a bill..." She frowns, pulling it out and staring down at it. "Why does it... seem to be a receipt?"

He looks at himself, noting what it's for. "Marble? I don't think we ordered marble... Dior maybe? It says here there wasn't quite enough money to pay for the order, there's a small bit left that needs to be paid before they will deliver it."

"I... I see..." She sighs, shaking her head. "I guess we should help her pay it... how much is left, love?"

Looking down at the paper, he reads for a moment before responding. "Hmm... not much. Looks like what she gave them was just 50 bits short. She is getting a job so she could technically pay for it, but I think it'd be nice of us to pay the difference for her."

"That's true..." She shrugs, smiling softly. "I'll make sure to pay that, tomorrow. Anything else in the mail?"

"Hmm..." He levitates the rest over, flipping through them quickly. "Junk, junk, sale notice, junk, and.... fashion magazine? Must be a free copy to tempt us into a subscription."

"Um... not a fashion magazine..." Gel gingerly pulls it away, shyly blushing. "It's a... lingerie catalog... see?" She flips it open, showing him the middle two pages, which promptly unfold into a four-page spread.

He doesn't appear to react much at first. "Huh, so it is..." Looking back up at his wife, the stallion blinks a moment, his eyes flicking back down to the magazine, then back to her a few times as the gears turn in his head.

She patiently waits for him to understand, avoiding his gaze nervously.

"Gel... did you order this?" He asks curiously.

She nods, squeaking slightly. "I... wanted to get something special... y-you know, for our anniversary..."

"Oh..." He looks down again, unable to prevent a small blush as he mentally transfers some of the outfits onto her. "Should I not look then, so it's a surprise?"

"N-no... I actually thought it'd be best for you to choose..." She giggles, gently kissing his cheek. "I felt it'd be more special, that way."

"Oh you..." He nuzzles her affectionately, closing the mailbox with a bit of magic. "I actually do have a little something planned for our anniversary as well. But mine is a secret."

Gel smiles, entwining her tail with his. "I look forward to it, love." She gestures to the door. "Shall we head inside?"

"We shall." Getting out his keys from his bags, Rhino quietly unlocks the door and they head inside, shutting it behind them.

She quietly walks into the foyer, ears twitching curiously. "Do you hear them? Because... it seems almost too quiet..."

"Well it is early... but they wouldn't have gone to work yet and Ruby is up half the time now..." His ears flick as he hears a stifled laugh from the living room. "In there."

She gestures to it, clearly nervous. "After you?"

They enter to quite the adorable scene. Apparently, not everypony is awake like they are this morning. All three pets are curled up and on top of each other and the rug near the unlit fireplace, as if they were awake long enough to come down then went back to sleep. The other snoozing party is Dior, the small nymph curled cutely against Hydro's side as he lays on the couch. The stallion however, is wake as the pink form of Ruby perches on his head, batting at one ear and pulling on the other with her mouth.

Gel smiles softly, holding a hoof to her chest. "Aww... I wish I had a camera..."

"Having fun?" Rhino quips as they walk in.

Hydro peeks one eye up at them. "Was wondering when you'd get back."

The filly's ears perk up and she turns to the older unicorn, squealing happily. "Dada!"

As he continues walking forward, his smile is wide and he laughs. "Well, you know, Mom's here too."

Ruby cranes her neck, waving happily. "Mama!" She turns to her dad, holding her hooves out to him. "Hug?"

"At least she finally let go of my ears..." The earth pony mutters as the father scoops the filly off his head.

"Quiet you," Rhino responds, "I'm bonding." He nuzzles the filly as he bring her to his chest. "Did you miss us, my little princess?"

She burrows a bit into the fur of his chest, cooing softly and batting at his stubble with a hoof. "Dada..."

Gel giggles, stepping forward and pecking her husband's cheek. "Shall we take that as a yes?"

"I hope so." His heart swells as he kisses the filly on the forehead and just enjoy the feeling of her against him. After a moment, he looks to the small ball of white on the couch. "You think she'll be awake in time for work?"

"Don't hold your breath." The nymph in question opens an eye, smirking coyly. "I'm already awake. I just thought I'd enjoy Red's warmth for a bit." She nips the earth pony's shoulder, chuckling a bit. "He certainly didn't seem to mind."

He rolls his eyes. "Again with faking sleep so you can have contact with me. What am I going to do with you?" Despite his words, when he moves her head away from his shoulder, the action is suspiciously similar to a nuzzle.

She smiles playfully, batting her eyelashes at him. "Maybe you can take me somewhere for lunch? I keep wondering what Gel sees in Caesar salads..."

"Sounds like a good idea to me." He smiles back, though his has a bit of roguishness in it along with the playfulness.

Rhino whispers to Gel as they watch the scene. "You know... I have to wonder if her feeling what these two give off helps keep her calm."

"It just might..." She giggles, moving up against him. "Certainly a lot of affection between them... not quite love... not yet..."

Dior beams and quickly climbs onto the red stallion's back. "Let's go, Red! Lunch starts in an hour, and I'd like a good seat!" She waves to the family, smiling warmly. "I'm sure these three want to spend some time together."

"Probably." He agrees. "Rhino there is probably gonna go full family stallion mode as soon as we step out the door. You guys enjoy yourselves, okay?" He heads towards the door.

The navy nymph waves at them, smiling warmly. "You two have a nice time on your date!"

A single red hoof waving goodbye is her only answer as the two head out the door.

Rhino blinks. "Well... they seem to be getting along well. But now onto more important things." With the hoof not holding the foal, he suddenly embraces Gel and brings her close to him in a family group hug. "Come here... I want to spend some time with my two favorite girls."

The changeling blushes brightly, happily letting herself lean into the hug. "Flatterer... but still, thank you..." She glances down at the lightly-dozing filly against his chest, giggling quietly at the sight. "Ruby certainly seems happy with your words..."

He looks down, gazing softly at her. "Aww... asleep already? And here I was hoping I'd be able to convince you to rock her when she got tired. I know you both enjoy it."

"I do... but I think she also enjoys her fluffy pillow of a father, too." She teasingly sticks her tongue out at him.

"True." He leans down and rubs his head on her chest. "But for now... unless she wakes up, I guess the question is: What do we want to do with this nice day for all of us?"

Before Gel can answer, another small furry being in the room wakes up. From his position at the top of the pet pile, Specter opens his golden eyes and yawns, looking around. As he spots the family having gotten back, he excitedly hops over, stopping at the base of Rhino's hooves and chittering to him happily.

Ruby's eyes blink open at the noise. She looks down, laughing brightly and holding a hoof out to the black squirrel.

Gel smiles, shaking her head. "It seems as though he missed us, too..."

"Very true, can't forget the other members of the family after all." Rhino lans down so the foal can reach the pet.

She giggles, playfully tapping the squirrel's nose. She opened her mouth and a word came out - one that neither parent was expecting.

"S'ecs!"

The stallion's face pales as he slowly looks from the filly to his wife. "Did... you hear what I just heard? Please say no..."

"I... I would be lying if I did..." She trembles, lowering herself to their daughter's level. "Sweetie? What was that word you said?"

At that moment, she leaps onto the floor next to the pet, happily nuzzling him. "S'ecs!"

A few things click in Rhino's head. "Ok... I'm a bit relieved now. She sounds like she's saying something bad, but the word we think she's saying, I'm pretty sure we've never actually said around her. She's trying to say his name I think, and she can't make a 'p' sound yet."

"Oh, thank Luna." Gel collapses against the stallion's side. "I was about to have a word with mom and Hydro..."

"You and me both..." He watches the filly now hugging the squirrel to her. "I can't help but feel she's going to give me a mini heart attack every time she mispronounces his name though..."

Right as he says that, she turns to him, eyes wide in innocent curiosity. She tries to hold the same-sized squirrel out to him, smiling sweetly. "Dada, S'ecs?"

His eye twitches for a moment as his brain sorts out actual meaning from the input it was given. He mouth opens and closes a few time before he just decides to scoop both of the little ones up in his foreleg. He looks to his wife. "There are no words for this..."

"I can think of one." She giggles, playfully bumping his shoulder. "Funny. She's still learning, I'm sure she'll get over that... though it does pose the question of how you'll handle telling her the birds and the bees..."

His ears instantly press to his head. "Nope, not talking about this. No. No. No." He holds out the foal to her. "Here, be distracted by how cute she is."

Gel blinks, taking their daughter from him in confusion. "Are you really that dead-set on not talking about it?"

Ruby pokes one of the holes in her mother's legs, eliciting a shiver. She leans down and presses her muzzle against one, squirming as she tries to go into the hole.

"Gel, I'm not sure I'll be ready to talk about it when she's ten years old, let alone one month." He shakes his head rapidly. "I am not ready to think about my little girl learning about that type of thing."

"I... if you say so, love..." She glances down at Ruby, tilting her head to one side. "What, uh... what is she doing, love?"

Looking down and glad for the distraction, he sees Ruby squirming against the chitin. "I think she's trying to play with you like she does with my fur.. only you have holes instead of fur, so she's using what she has to work with."

The filly, unable to fit her body through them like she used to, instead works a hoof through, poking out the other end, nearby. She wiggles it, laughing with glee at the little display before her.

"Aww..." Rhino coos. "That's adorable..."

She looks up at her daddy, smiling brightly and holding a hoof out to him. "Da!"

He chuckles, putting his hoof to hers. "Look at that, love. Now we're all holding hooves. Yours is just held by the inside."

"Not all." She takes his free hoof with her own, quietly giggling. "Now we are."

All three of them laugh at the display, Specter tilting his head, not quite sure what the joke is. After a moment, Rhino looks to one corner of the room. "Here, I have an idea." His horn lights up, bringing over Ruby's play blanket and laying it out with her toys on it. The stallion lays down on it a moment later, patting the floor next to him as if inviting Gel and Ruby to join him.

The latter frees herself and almost leaps to join him, happily hugging his neck. The former soon joins them, albeit with a greater degree of control.

The stallion laughs as he nuzzles the tiny foal while speaking to his wife. "What? Didn't you want to tackle hug me too?"

"And knock you over?" She smirks, waggling a hoof at him. "If I'd known you'd wanted that, I would've done so. I just thought you might still be a bit sore."

"Fair enough." He looks down at the filly on his neck before shifting until he's laying on his side with his back against Gel, Ruby on top of his neck. Playfully, he grabs a bit of Gel's mane in his mouth.

The nymph giggles, tapping his nose. "What's gotten you so frisky, love?"

She notices their daughter climb along the stallion's body, mimicking her gesture. "Dada ba?"

He looks to the two of them, taking his wife's mane out of his mouth a moment. "What? Can't I want to play sometimes too? I like innocent fun too..." The exact words his daughter said register is his head. "Wait, book time already?"

"Ba!" She nips his nose, giggling brightly. "Dada ba!" She taps his arm.

Gel tilts her head, curious. "Maybe... she wants you to bounce her?"

"Hmm..." Levitating the filly in his magic, the stallion rolls fully over onto his back and sets her on his front hooves. "Ready Ruby?" He lightly extends his forelegs their full length before bending them back down and repeating the motion.

She happily squeals, holding her hooves out to him.

The navy nymph watches from the side, smiling softly. I guess I was right... she wanted to play.

Sticking out his tongue playfully at his daughter, the stallion thinks to his wife. You know, you can play with us too if you want. I'm sure we would have even more fun if you did.

She blinks, her brow furrowing slightly. But... I don't know how that'd work.

On her trip down, Ruby taps her dad's tongue, giggling brightly. "Da!" After a second, she switches her horn for wings. She flaps them excitedly as he lifts her up, noticeably reducing the weight on his hooves at the peak of the motion.

He speaks to her a he puts a little more force into the up part of his playing with Ruby, her actually going about an inch airborne now, but never hovering and always plopping back onto his hooves. "Well..." he starts cheekily, "I could do this to both you and her. I carry you all the time so it should be possible. Probably tiring after a bit though... We could break out some of her toys, you could have a shot doing this, maybe hover around a bit with her on your back... there's any number of things we could do.

Gel smiles, leaning down and gently pecking his cheek. "I'll just let you two have fun, for a bit. I'm gonna go make us lunch, real quick." She stands up, brushing her hair back out of her face. "Anything specific you'd like?"

"Hmm..." Rhino looks up at the filly as if silently trying to communicate with her. Suddenly, he sets her down and brings Gel to him with a bit of magic. Setting her back against his chest, he locks all of his limbs around her as they now lay there in front of Ruby. "We want you to play."

The navy changeling blushes brightly, looking at Ruby. "I... is that right, sweetie?"

The filly walks up and taps her nose, giggling brightly. "Mama ba?"

With a small sigh, she turns to the stallion, smiling softly. "I guess I can play a bit... however." She kisses him, humming a bit. "You're figuring out what we're doing, love."

He simply looks at her curiously. "Didn't you hear the little one? That game is 'ba', she already decided that."

She blinks, blushing a bit more. "Oh... right..." She carefully picks the little pink pony up, nuzzling her gently and getting affection in kind. "Here we go..." She carefully stretches her forelegs out, watching her daughter squeal in delight as she rides her hooves all the way up.

Watching this, Rhino smiles before speaking. "Of course, she pretty much uses 'ba' to say a lot of things. So for all we know, she's just enjoying this and she actually meant something like... I don't know..." He levitates a ball from the pile of toys. "Ball, maybe."

Seeing the green toy, she babbles brightly and eagerly reaches for it, wings flapping. "Ba! Ba!"

Gel blinks, looking from the filly to the toy and back. "I... I guess she actually did want the ball."

"That... or she's just a happy filly who like to play and doesn't know that many words." As Gel brings the filly down to her chest, Rhino gives Ruby the ball, which is about the size of her whole body.

The happy filly hugs the ball to herself, content to sit on her mother with the sphere. She looks down at her dad and smiles, waving while holding the toy. "Dada." She tries to hold the ball out to him, shaking it a bit. "Ba, dada?"

"I think I know this game." He kisses both the changeling and filly before moving to the other side of the blanket, bringing the ball with him. Once there, he lays down on his stomach and rolls the ball to them.

Ruby beams, leaping forward and bumping it back to him. She quickly gets back to her hooves, waiting for him to send it back.

He does so, but he bounces it so that it would go over the filly and get her mom instead, curious what she would do.

The nymph simply raises a hoof, bouncing it back to him. She giggles, watching the filly try to follow the ball, stumbling slightly before watching the stallion again, excitedly jumping in place.

Spreading his forelegs wide, Rhino begins rolling the ball back and forth between his hooves. "If nothing else, this is good for teaching her coordination and predicting how things are going to act."

"I agree..." She watches Ruby chase the ball from one hoof to the other, babbling all the while. "Though some things she might not know how to react to..."

"She's still young, there's no rush." He suddenly stops the ball with a hoof. Keeping his hoof on it, he slowly rolls it toward the filly.

She swiftly pounces on it, latching on with all four hooves. She rolls back, holding the ball up above her, but doesn't complain. Instead, she does what Rhino did earlier, lifting it up into the air with all her hooves.

"Aww..." He cooes over the action. "She's just gotten into her learning state hasn't she? Trying to spout new words, doing what we do, what's next?"

Ruby rolls over, pushing the ball in a random pattern around the blanket. She pauses and turns to Specter, smiling brightly and nudging the toy closer to him. "Ba?"

The squirrel, who had almost fallen asleep again, straightens up and looks at the ball-carrying filly curiously. After a moment, he jumps onto the ball and starts walking on it to guide it around the foal.

She squeals excitedly, clapping her hooves together. After a few circles, she decides to jump up and follow him, babbling happily all the while.

Gel giggles, winking at Rhino. Cute scene, hmm?

He nods as the two start weaving a path around the blanket. We really need to keep a camera in here.

That we do... actually, do we even have one? She glances at him, an eyebrow raised, before returning her attention to the filly before them. She smiles, watching them move their path to around the stallion.

Of course we do. Didn't we find that one in a drawer somewhere when Mom and Dad came down for her birthday and they met Ruby? The question is... where did we put it? He cranes his head to keep track of the two as they start weaving through the toys.

Gel taps her chin, frowning softly. I could've sworn we loned that to Ditzy... She glances at the two as they head towards the door to the foyer. You closed the basement door... right?

He nods. Yes, I keep that door closed even when I'm down there... Though, they could end up in anywhere from the kitchen, dining room, or downstairs bathroom...

Ruby follows behind Specter, babbling at him happily. She flaps her wings, trying to reach him.

Rhino stands up as the two leave the room. "We'd better keep up with them, just to make sure they stay out of trouble." He walks over to Gel, nudging her affectionately with his head. "Come along, love."

In the kitchen, Specter continues running on the ball to steer it. Unfortunately, in his efforts to keep ahead of the filly chasing him down a straight hallway, he enters the kitchen going at quite a high speed. Skidding across the floor despite his braking, he still bounces off the base of the counter. Ruby isn't too far behind, but manages to slow down enough to skid to a halt just in front of the counter so she can keep chasing the squirrel now rolling away again. Unfortunately, this puts her in prime position for the result of Specter's crash, namely a glass of orange juice sitting on the counter that now tips over, dumping it's contents all over the filly and floor directly below it.

Ruby yelps, stopping in her tracks as she gets drenched in the sticky liquid. She stands there, shivering slightly, unsure of how to take this.

Specter dismounts his ball, carefully padding over to the filly and looking at her, sniffing her now orangey scent. His ears prick up and his head swivels as he hears hooves rapidly approaching, presumably from the noise.

The door opens, revealing the navy nymph. "I think it came from-" She stops, staring at the scene in shock. "Ruby?" She rushes forward, carefully picking the pink filly up with her forelegs, not caring that her carapace might get sticky. "Oh, sweetie, you're all wet!" She glances down at the squirrel, concerned. "W-what happened, little one?"

The filly in question licks her sticky hoof, humming softly at the sweet yet tangy taste. She sees her father step in behind her and beams, holding her hooves out to him. "Dada!"

He looks between the foal, the glass, and the puddle of orange on the floor. Before shaking his head and walking over rubbing the foal's slightly sticky mane affectionately. "We let you out of our sight for literally about 30 seconds, and you get covered in sticky stuff. I wonder if this is a problem all fillies have..." He shakes his head again, horn lighting up as he begins to deal with the mess. "This is why I never leave glasses of stuff out, it just begs to be knocked over. I guess Hydro or Dior got distracted and forgot about it or something..." He sets the glass in the sink, pulling out some paper towels and using them to soak up the liquid as he looks over Specter, nodding as he sees the squirrel is fine.

Ruby squirms in her mother's embrace, whimpering softly. She looks up at her, her eyes tearing up in her discomfort.

Gel blinks gently kissing her forehead. "Don't worry, sweetie. Daddy will clean you up as soon as the puddle's gone..." She looks at him, smiling hopefully. "Right, love?"

"Well, I half thought you'd consider licking her clean, but I see we're going at this the old fashioned way." He goes over the floor with a quick bit of cleaner to deter any future stickiness and nods in approval, washing the glass quickly and setting it to the side as he keeps the water running. "Alright, the foal bathtub, also known as the sink, is ready for use." He casts a quick eye to Specter. "Did you want a bath too, even though you're not dirty?" He smirks a moment later as the squirrel zips out of the room.

Ruby's eyes land on the sink and her pupils promptly shrink. She immediately clambers up onto her mother's back, trying to crawl away on the smooth carapace in panic.

Gel cranes her neck, frowning softly. "Do you really have to act like that every time, sweetie?"

Rhino quips as he watches the sink fill a bit. "I seem to recall a certain someone else who freaked out at the thought of baths for a while, and still requires some convincing sometimes."

She smacks his side with her tail, blushing bright blue in embarrassment. "Oh, hush, you." She turns so the foal is crawling towards him, moving a bit closer. "You wanna console her, this time, or distract her?"

"Sure," he picks up the foal in his magic, slipping her diaper off her and levitating it into the adjacent washing room, "probably a good idea for you to wash her this time since you need to wash yourself too." He brings the filly close to himself, looking down at her. "I thought you figured out last time that you liked to be mischievous and splash us. Why so fussy?"

She responds by tightly hugging him, whining softly. "Dada..."

Gel holds up a hoof. "Maybe... she's worried about the downside to her hybrid empathy?"



He slowly nods. "Maybe... I didn't consider that she had that same 'cut off' feeling you have. I honestly thought it was just the reaction half of all foals have to water just because it's new. Perhaps if one of us always has a hoof on or around her to show her she's not alone?"

Gel considers this for a moment. "That might work... physical contact helps emotion conductivity, after all..."

"Alright then." He turns off the water. "Don't forget we have the spray nozzle on the side there for easy rinsing, and we'll have to remember to wash our own fronts after she's clean... unless you're up for our own bath after this?"

"Shower." She sheepishly smiles, holding up a slightly-sticky hoof. "I-I'd like a shower, not a bath..." She clears her throat, gently reaching out to Ruby. "I'll try to comfort her... we both know you're better at cleaning fur, anyways."

As she touches the foal, he looks at her curiously, but with a hint of amusement. "I don't know... I feel you've gotten quite adept at it yourself since we met."

She quirks an eyebrow at him, trying to act bemused but given away by her small smile. "I'm better with manes, yes... but you're well aware of how easily I'm... distracted..." Her eyes start to trail down his side but she catches herself, turning back to Ruby with a bright blue blush. "A-anyways, think of it as more bonding time... and she likes it more when you clean her, too. See?"

The filly in question shivers from the cold beverage all over her. She cuddles closer to Rhino's chest, whining and tapping him to get his attention.

He looks down, his gaze softening. "Alright, alright, I understand little one. You're cold and naked and it's no fun. That's why I made the water warm." He turns to the sink as he cuddles her against his chest, but still looks back to his wife. "As much as I love bonding with her, I'm starting to wonder if I'm hogging her and she doesn't bond with you enough..."

“We bond plenty." She giggles brightly, tapping his nose. "What do you think we're doing when you're busy with a puppy patient?"

"I guess so..." He responds, a hint of doubt in his voice. Turning back to the sink, he begins prying the sticky foal from his chest. "Alright you, time to get clean."

The pink filly latches onto his left foreleg, just above the hoof. She lets out a small whimper, staring at the water below with wide eyes.

The stallion looks to his wife as a signal to comfort when ready. He leans over to Ruby and nuzzles her as he slowly moves his hoof towards the water.

She coos at her father's touch, trying to nuzzle him back without letting go. As the water touches her tail, she stiffens up, her wings flaring out in alarm.

Seeing this, Gel gingerly puts a hoof on her daughter's foreleg, trying to send happiness and calmness to the filly. She sits for a few tense seconds, watching her, before the little pony slowly starts to relax. Sighing in relief, the navy nymph turns to her stallion, nodding.

He slowly inches the foal into the water, his hoof resting on the bottom of the sink soon, having only filled the sink up enough to where the water comes up less than halfway up her body. He looks down at the foal with a reassuring smile, moving his hoof slightly. "Do I get this back or would you rather hold onto it?"

She hugs his leg tighter, pouting up at him. "Dada."

He immediately gives in to the adorable face she giving him. "Okay, okay, you can hold onto it. Just gotta use magic and plant my hind legs..." He lifts up his other foreleg and sets it on the rim of the sink, fully rearing up now. He looks to Gel. "Know where you want to stand?"

She tilts her head, thinking a bit. "I think I'll... stay where I am. I'm certainly not in the way... am I?"

"Just making sure you were comfortable, love." He turns back to the foal and lights up his horn, bringing some foal soap, a soft brush, a washcloth, some shampoo, and a fluffy towel out from under the sink, setting them on the counter. Putting the cloth on his hoof, he picks up the spray head and uses it on it while speaking in a soft voice to the foal. "Alright... let's start by getting the excess off you with a wipedown."

She doesn't seem to be paying attention, instead licking some of the orange juice from his leg. She immediately scrunches her nose, sticking her tongue out.

Gel giggles, shaking her head. "I guess she doesn't care for the taste..."

Rhino chuckles. "I was like that at her age. Didn't actually care for anything to do with oranges for the longest time. Still really don't except for the juice." He gives the filly a rundown with the cloth, affectionately scratching behind her ears when he is at that point.

Ruby coos happily, leaning into his hoof. Her eyes close as she nuzzles the cloth, causing her mother to giggle at the sight.

"I hope she always stays this cute." The stallion comments as he takes the cloth away, putting soap on it before returning it and starting to cause a layer of foam to form all over the filly.

She sits there, hugging his foreleg, and watches the bubbles swirl around her swishing tail. Tilting her head to one side, she moves her tail in circles, beaming as even more bubbles form.

Rhino sees this and chuckles as he cleans the baby's bottom. "And to think you were pouting just a minute ago."

She squirms as he scrubs her hindquarters, giggling brightly. She seems torn between hugging one hoof and getting away from the other.

The nymph next to him blinks, confused. "Is... is she ticklish, there?"

He shrugs. "Maybe. The cutie mark area is sensitive on some ponies, well, and changelings." He gives her a sly wink.

She blushes profusely, letting her head dip in embarrassment. "You have magical hooves... I can't help it..."

He leans over, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I'm just teasing you... Gelatin."

She snaps her gaze to him, eyes wide in shock. She whimpers, pulling her hoof away from Ruby to keep her mortification from influencing the filly's mood. "P-please don't call me that... it just seems... odd coming from you..."

"Sorry love, thought I'd try it at least once." He uses a bit of magic to bring her over to him and he nuzzles her and gives a sad-eyed look. "Forgive me?"

Gel smirks, kissing him tenderly. "Only because I love you." She turns to the sink, recoiling in surprise at the sheer number of bubbles.

Out of the proverbial mountain comes a sneeze, blowing a third away and onto the parents. The cause sits in the small crater, rubbing her nose with a foreleg and looking up at them, giggling at how they look.

"I may have used a little too much soap... at least she didn't come out of it with a beard though." He dabs a little bit of suds onto the pink nose as he puts the washcloth away and brings over the shampoo.

"True..." The nymph giggles as Ruby sneezes again, scattering the bubbles into the air. "Of course, she did give you your own soap-beard."

"Hmm?" Rhino barely manages to be able to see himself in the reflection if the window, a full bushy beard now adorning his face. "Well, would you look at that..." His head slowly turns to the nymph and narrows his eyes.

She blinks, warily taking a step back. "What are you planning, love?"

"Nothing..." He yanks her forward with a bit of magic and gives her a deep kiss, revealing that he transferred about half the beard to her when he breaks said kiss. "Just sharing the suds."

Gel sputters, wiping the froth off her face as fast as possible. "Rhino!" She pouts at him, crossing her forelegs in mild annoyance. "What are you teaching little Ruby?" A coy smile slowly tugs at the corner of her mouth. Or do you want her kissing ponies as a joke?

He can't help but flinch as that comment, a small growl coming from him. "Point taken..." He turns back to the filly still latched onto one of his legs. "Alright little one, let's see about getting that mane and tail clean, then we're done." He lifts her up out of the water so he can get her tail.

She happily snuggles against his leg, her tail wrapping against the flat of his hoof. She quietly sighs and grips him a little tighter. "Dada..."

"Oh Ruby..." Rhino brings his leg up and gives her a kiss on the head before setting her back down over the sink and washing her again. Small as she is, her mane and tail don't really take any time at all. "Just one step left." He brings the spray nozzle out again.

Seeing the nozzle, her ears flatten against her head. She looks up at him, her eyes wide and pleading.

In response to this, he gives his wife the same look.

Gel quirks an eyebrow at him. "Your turn to clean her, love..." She sighs wistfully, taking it from him and carefully rinsing off the squirming filly. "You'd better clean me well, later..."

"I think that's a fair trade." He lifts up the sopping wet filly and sets his hoof on the towel. "Are you going to let go now, or are you going to stay attached while you're dried too?"

She looks around before slowly letting go of him. She sniffles, shivering, her soaked mane drooping down over her face and partially covering her eyes.

"Don't worry, you won't be wet and cold for long." Rhino scoops up the edges of the towel and folds it over the filly, rubbing it all over her to quickly dry her.

Gel giggles, playfully bumping his shoulder. "See? I knew you could do it. And without making her upset, too."

"Yes, but there were plenty of 'pity me' looks I had to steel myself against." He continues fluffing the filly. "She's lucky I had thoughts of just seeing her all happy afterward to look forward to."

"That is a good thing to focus on." A sneeze comes from under the towel, making the nymph flinch slightly. "Though... we might want to be a bit concerned by that..."

"I'm hoping it's just water or soap in her nose..." A hint of worry makes it's way into his voice. "I'll admit... I have no idea what to do with a sick foal. I think it's just medicine, excessive rest, and dealing with the mopey grumpiness she has from not feeling well and thus not being happy about it. Oh, and keeping her away from other foals so they don't catch it." He blinks. "Ok, maybe I know more than I thought."

"Let's hope she doesn't get ill." She watches as a small shape pushes against the cloth, as if searching for something. "I mean... I don't know if I could handle that, myself... even with your medicinal knowledge..."

As Rhino shifts the towel a bit so Ruby can find her way out, he comments dryly. "New parent syndrome strikes again."

"With the force of a train." Gel smiles as the small hoof finds its way out and touches the larger green one. "I don't mind, though... not if we get to see such cuteness every day..."

"I couldn't agree more." He leans down next to the small hole in the towel.

As soon as he does, the filly pops out, playfully nipping his nose. She babbles brightly, moving the hoof to rub where she nibbled. "Dada."

The stallion laughs and pulls the filly out, snuggling her to a clean part of his chest. "There's my little filly. You know, Mama wanted to see you nice and clean too." He offers the filly to her mother, tilting his head as he notices something. "Is it just me, or does she actually look a little odd without her diaper on since she has it on most of the time?"

"I don't know..." She carefully takes their daughter, nuzzling her gently as she cradles her to her chest. "Either way, she's still adorable..." She squeaks as the filly takes a lock of her mane in her mouth, her cheeks soon nearly matching the shade of blue.

"About time she decided to see how you tasted considering how much she gnaws on me." He picks up the small brush in his magic as well as a new diaper.

"You know you enjoy her love nips." She smirks playfully at him as the rest of her mane curls up around the pink pony, cradling her so she could put her hooves back on the ground. "Besides, you like to tug on my mane, too..."

He nods. "True, being the spawn of both you and me she was bound to get the playful mane tugging gene."

"Exactly." She giggles, leaning up and pecking his cheek. She brings a hoof up to her hair. "You never told me what you thought about my manestyle, by the way." She winks, moving her hoof to caress his cheek. "Do you like it long, like this? Or do you prefer it short, like before?"

"Have I not commented?" He thinks. "I guess since I saw it growing longer and longer it just didn't occur to me. Well, to be honest, I liked it both ways, but I think I prefer this one for now. "It just... I think it gives you a more caring, sheltering, serene, maternal look, you know?"

She playfully pushes on his shoulder, absently rocking the filly in her mane. "Flatterer." She smirks, gesturing to the items in his magic. "Forgetting something, love?"

He shakes his head. "I haven't forgotten, I just didn't want to interrupt the moment." He lays the cloth open on the counter and looks to her.

Gel gingerly places the surprisingly drowsy filly down on the counter, taking a step back to let him work.

The stallion manages to strap the diaper on with nary a fuss or kick. "Wow... guess all the activity and excitement this morning is getting to her." He sets the filly back in her mother's mane. "I bet she drops right to sleep if you brush her while you rock her.

She giggles softly, playfully rubbing a hoof along his back. "I see what you're getting at..." She takes the soft hairbrush and starts to run it through the filly's two-tone mane. She kisses her forehead as she quietly hums, gently rocking her in the sea of blue.

Rhino simply smiles quietly at the sight. The sleepy filly yawns cutely before looking up lovingly at her mother. She blinks often as she paws at the chitinous chest, quietly speaking. "Mama..." Another yawn comes out and she starts wriggling deeper into the comforting blue mass of the nymph's prehensile mane. Soon enough the repeating motions of both brush and mane close her eyes as the filly nods off as if she were in a soft motherly hammock.

Gel sees this and calmly puts the brush down, continuing the motions of her mane. She even sleeps adorably... She blinks, tapping her chin thoughtfully. You don't think she stayed up all night to wait for us, do you?

He shakes his head. I doubt all night, maybe a little later than normal though. We'll have to make sure she sleeps for as long as she wants. Quietly walking over, he nuzzle his wife as he looks down at their foal. Shall we put her in her crib so we can go get cleaned up? Afterwards, we can probably put her between us and just read or something else quiet and relaxing.

That sounds lovely. She leans up against him, gradually slowing the rocking motions. Maybe we could let her sleep next to the pets, instead? I think Specter's the only one awake, right now...

If you want to, sure. He wraps his tail around hers as they head to the living room.