• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,186 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,186

Chapter 20: Worries

Monday morning comes, showing the end of an interesting weekend, and for some, promising the beginning of an even more interesting week. Gel and Rhino part ways with the other members of their household as they go to work. Hydro heads the opposite direction, going to check out his new workplace today, Diorite going with him despite still recovering a bit from her state they had found her in. She had insisted on not staying alone in that big house with nothing to do. Meanwhile, the pets and Ruby are in their usual places as they are brought to work with the parents. The little foal had not let her parents out of her sight the previous evening and had insisted on sleeping in their bed with them that night. She seems to be back to her normal self today, curled up against her father's chest in her sling.

Rhino unlocks the doors to the clinic and the family walks in, heading to their usual positions. The stallion had gotten quiet with his thoughts on the journey here, and judging by the glassy eyes, his mind is clearly elsewhere as he heads back to his office to grab his things. He comes back momentarily, dressed and ready for the day, at least at first glance.

The navy nymph steps forward, frowning softly. Love? I-is everything alright? She places a hoof on his shoulder, hoping it can get his attention.

He flinches slightly before his eyes focus on her. What? Sorry, love, what was that?

She nuzzles him, their daughter toddling over to hug his foreleg at the same time. "You... clearly have something on your mind." She smiles, nodding reassuringly. "You know you can always share your thoughts with me."

He sighs. "I'm just... thinking about what's going to happen later this week... with Luster and Fiddlesticks..."

"Oh." She grimaces, turning to the front door as her horn lights up. There's an audible click before she responds. "I know how... strange the idea must be. It'll take a bit before you're alright with it, but..." She looks back to him, sheepishly smiling. "...it's to help our friends start a family. Isn't that a good thing?"

He slumps, looking down and scooping up Ruby before letting his hooves fall out from under him so he lays prone on the floor. He nuzzles his filly as he responds. "It's not the cause I'm worried about. I'm perfectly fine and happy to help our friends start a family, which is the only reason I'm doing this. It's the... way we have to go about it that is... uncomfortable for me."

She tilts her head to one side, gesturing to him with a hoof. "What do you mean, love?"

As Ruby sits herself and his hoof and starts to playfully beat on it with her hooves to see what sounds it makes, he looks to Gel. "It's... how do I explain this? Ok, how do you think the average stallion would respond in a situation like this? Where he is asked to sleep with not one, but three mares all fine and willing to do this with him, and with absolutely no negative repercussions afterward?"

She taps her chin, frowning in concentration. "Well, if it was me... I'll be honest," she shrugs, lowering her head shamefully, "I have no idea what I'd do. I've only been two stallions, and they never dealt with this."

"Ok, fair enough," he thinks a moment, "Well, suffice to say, most stallions would consider this opportunity a fantastic present and a dream come true."

She quirks an eyebrow, rolling her hoof. "...and you aren't most stallions, of course... so what do you consider it?"

"Honestly? I'm not a fan of it..." He smiles, amused as Ruby starts tugging on his ear with her mouth. "Let's start with the first reason: the way my mind works, because of personal morals I've taken over my life as well as how I was raised, I think that you should only sleep with the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. No one else, never even tempted to do so. My mind literally decided on you, and now the mere concept of sleeping with anyone else is so far from my mind that I distance myself at the very mention of it..."

“...which is why this agreement is causing you torment." She sighs, shaking her head. "I'm so sorry love... but, then... why didn't you decline the offer?"

He rests his forehead against the floor. "Because this is worth forcing myself to break my morals for... it's about the best cause there can ever be, and I'm honored they chose me. You agreed to allow it, so I will do my best to do it. I just... the next reason, sort of like the first I guess, is that... it won't be you..."

She smiles softly, tilting his chin up and tenderly kissing him. "That's sweet, love, but I'm still going to be there..." She falters, rubbing the back of her neck. "...I wish I had the right words to say..."

He smiles weakly up at her. "Well... those are really for me to work through on my own, but this next one is one you might be able to help with..." He looks down again, his head tilted to one side as Ruby tries to scrabble on the tiles for purchase as she continues tugging his ear. "Well... you remember how, erm, controlled and careful about my performances when we were first getting intimate? I don't do that anymore because I'm as comfortable with you as possible, but... an audience? Performing the act with another mare while my own wife and another are watching?" He shivers. "I wonder that even if you were to flash me I might have trouble getting it up, the thought worries me so much..."

"...I see..." She taps her chin, thinking a bit. "...well... what if Fiddlesticks and I found a solution to that?" She taps her chin, muttering to herself. "Maybe Zecora could have something to help with that..."

He holds up a hoof. "I would rather not use something... medicinal, to fix that. It's a pride thing. I was thinking more like... helping me with the mental part of that."

She blinks, caught by surprise. "...oh. Well, I guess... we could always start off the, uh, session." She coughs lightly, her face now a vibrant blue. "I-it's only a suggestion, of course."

"That... might work." He thinks, blinking slowly. "Yeah... actually that would probably work... just sort of putting them out of my mind at first..."

She recoils, eyes wide in shock. "It would? I-I mean, of course it would!" She laughs shyly, ducking her head as she does. "It wasn't a thought I just spat out without thinking..."

He chuckles, grabbing her lowered head with a hoof and bringing her in for another long soft kiss. As he breaks it, he nuzzles her. "And that's another reason I married you: that beautiful mind you don't even realize you're using sometimes."

She smiles, gently pulling him into a hug, mindful of the small filly between them. She closes her eyes, resting her head against his chest with a small smile. "Flatterer..."

He holds both his girls close. "Yes... I'll need more than flattery to get me through this... but at least you'll be with me."

"Definitely a good thing." She giggles, gently tickling the filly's belly. "I'm a little more worried about mom and Ruby, though..." What if Mercury isn't enough, this time?

"I... think she'll do better this time." He tries not to imagine what happened last time. "We'll just... play with her a bunch to tire her out, make sure there's plenty of milk, tell Dior to make sure to wrap Ruby well in a soft blanket, and maybe have the two of them playing as we leave. We just... have to not make a big deal out of it, right?"

"...I suppose you're right." She sighs softly, shaking her head. "Sorry, I know how si-"

There's a loud series of knocks from the locked door, causing Gel to squeak and jump in surprise. "...um... m-maybe I should let them in." She sheepishly laughs, backing away towards the door.

"Right, right..." Rhino stands up straight, dusting a bit of his coat off and getting ready to do his job. "Just gotta get through the other bits of this on my own..." He shivers. "I can do this..."

***

On the other side of town, Hydro and Dior head towards the major outskirts of town, the large structure in the hills is their destination. The earth pony looks upward at the uphill path they'll have to walk up to get there. "Well, at least I'll only have to go up that in the mornings. Would suck to do that in the afternoon after work."

"I suppose that's true." She starts up the path, smiling over her shoulder at him. "Still, it's not like a strong stallion like yourself couldn't handle it, right?"

He smiles back as he quickly catches up with his longer legs. "Darn right I can. Besides, it's a nice scenic walk to enjoy before stuffing myself in a building with no windows."

"It's not like you're going to be alone in there, right?" The nymph smirks at him, playfully bumping his foreleg with a hoof. "I'm sure there's going to be at least a few other ponies working around you, not to mention myself."

"Well, it's a big place, so even if there are a few more, honestly I probably won't see them that often unless we just happen to cross paths." He looks down to her in surprise. "And what do you mean, you'll be there? Are you going to come to work with me every day?"

"I'm planning on helping with the exterior of the dam." She quirks an eyebrow at him. "I mentioned that, didn't I?"

He nods after a moment. "Right... slipped my mind. Decided to pitch your own case instead of letting me recommend you?"

"Actually, I was hoping to be there while you recommend me." She rolls her eyes, sighing melodramatically. "They'd likely dismiss me as soon as they see me, otherwise."

He raises a dubious eyebrow. "Fair enough. You are going to be professional and not... impulsive, right?"

She turns to him, scowling softly. "I am. I'm not an idiot, Hydro."

He raises a placating hoof. "I don't think you're one. Just making sure since how you got your last job was... a bit different."

"...I know." She closes her eyes, letting her head bow. "I guess I'm a little nervous, too... please forgive my testiness."

"It's fine." He smiles and nudges her with a hoof. "You'll do fine, just make them focus on your qualifications, not your looks. It's what's inside that counts, right?"

She turns to him and smiles back, nodding. "Correct. Though, honestly," she looks down at herself, "I'm more concerned about how old they might think I am."

"Hmm... well... not sure exactly how to get around that..." He rubs his chin. "How do you want to play it? Act like how you look and just say you're a young nymph looking for a job? Or say something like... you're a pygmy changeling and are your actual age?"

"Either of those would be more believable than the truth..." She sighs, shaking her head. "Maybe I can go with the first one. It's not like they're that discriminatory, right?"

He shakes his head. "No, the boss seems like an okay stallion. Fillies and colts get jobs like this all the time as they learn what their cutie marks are. Though, usually it would only be part time since at your physical age they're still in school..."

"Well, I guess that - he, was it? - will be getting a lesson about my kind, today." She chuckles, looking up as they near the top of the hill. "Wow, that really wasn't much of a climb."

"No it wasn't..." He turns to head along the outside of the dam towards the door and stops, looking back down the path. "Hmm..."

Down the hill a little bit and still approaching is another pony, not an odd sight in and of itself, but the fact that his eyes are locked onto Dior and his stride with such purpose does make the mind think that something is off.

The nymph takes notice of this as well, an eyebrow quirked. She walks forward, moving with just as much purpose as the stallion.

He stops a few body lengths away from her, watching to see if she'll continue approaching. Hydro, being largely ignored by the newcomer, moves himself a little bit to be out of the way, but ready to act should the need arise.

She stops at normal speaking distance in front of him, tilting her head to one side. Her eyes narrow slightly and her voice gains the faintest hint of an edge to it. "May I help you?"

Blinking a bit at the older sounding voice from the filly-sized body, the stallion nonetheless straightens up and looks at her neutrally. "Actually, I'm here to help you."

"I don't think I need help. Not from a stranger, at least. Listen, next time you should start off with your name." She rolls her eyes, moving to walk around him. "It'd make more ponies open up to you."

He turns with her, always keeping his front to her. "My name isn't important, what is important is my message." He continues looking at her neutrally. "You should leave town, immediately."

She pauses, putting a hoof to her chin. "Gee, let me think about that." She turns to him, smirking derisively. "How about 'no'?"

He doesn't react to this statement other than to reply. "It would be best if you headed my words. Your kind have been known to not have the best luck in this town. Accidents happen all the time."

Her smile falls off her face, the meaning behind his words now reaching her. She scowls, stepping forward until she's mere inches away from him. "Listen here, bub. I don't like the tone you're using, and you sure as Tartarus don't know a thing about me. I say I won't leave, I mean it." She scoffs, waving a hoof dismissively at him. "I have honor. I don't try to scare others away from my town out of ignorance."

The stallion, though remaining surprisingly stoic despite the visible tensing her did when she got close, keeps his voice level. "I am simply a concerned citizen looking out for the well-being of others. If you choose to ignore my sincere warning, that is up to you." He pauses. "Though of course, there's no telling what would happen then."

"I'll tell you what'll happen." Dior swings her foreleg out to the side, the stone of the limb morphing into a razor-sharp blade. She smirks, bringing it up into the pony's line of sight. "I'll make sure my well-being is properly guarded. Thanks for the advice, though." She changes it back to normal and moves to walk away. "I'll take it under careful consideration."

Seemingly ignoring the drop of sweat on his brow, the pony grunts. "Very well." He turns around. "Stay safe." He trots off back towards town.

She smirks, shaking her head. "That pony was simply reeking of hatred and fear." She laughs to herself before turning to Hydro, her smile faltering slightly. "I... didn't take that too far, did I?"

Hydro just smiles proudly. "I think you handled that perfectly. I was hoping he'd piss himself on the way down, but it looks like I'll have to be disappointed on that front."

"I'm glad to hear that." She sighs softly, turning back towards the dam. "So, shall we head off, then?"

"Sure." He opens the door for her. "Need me to carry you so you don't get squished under anything?"

Dior stares at him for a moment, considering his offer before nodding. "Though I don't need you to do so... I think I'd like you to do that."

He chuckles, picking her up with his mouth and setting her on his back. "Think of it as a victory ride."

"That'll work." She smiles, resting her head against the back of his neck.

The two enter the dam, shutting the door and instantly noticing the transition form natural sunlight outside to sudden artificial light inside. They have entered onto a sort of observation platform on one end of the dam at about the middle level. On one side of them one cane see all the way to the other end of the dam, between them and it being all sort of pipes, turbines, and water spilling form various ports. The constant rushing fluid and whirring machines creating a constant background noise, though not as loud as one might think. A pony or two can briefly be seen as they walk along the walkways positioned throughout the place.

On their other side, and where Hydro heads toward, is what appears to be a section devoted to rooms of various usage. A table with a mare eating lunch is the first they pass, and the other few with doors open only ever show consoles or filing rooms. Hydro heads to the end of the hall and starts up the stairs.

The nymph looks around in confusion, gripping Hydro's sides a little tighter. "This is... not quite how I imagined..."

He looks back at her. "Exactly what were you imagining? A beaver dam?"

"Of course not." She scoffs, pressing a little closer to his neck. "I just didn't expect... well, an enclosed space."

He turns around to go up another flight of stairs. "This is really the only closed part since it's a stairwell, but all the rooms have nice balconies so they don't feel small. The only real places ponies would have problems with claustrophobia would be if they have to get into the machines, but that's a bit outside your job description."

She smacks his side with her hindleg, frowning deeply. "I'm not claustrophobic. I'm agoraphillic." She rolls her eyes playfully. "I just prefer open spaces."

He turns his head enough to be able to look at her with one amused eye. "Hey now, no need to be abusive with the pony helping you get something to do so you don't go crazy."

I doubt I'd go crazy. I'd be bored, definitely." Dior chuckles, shaking her head. "But that's about it. I'd be coming over here to spend time with you, either way." She sticks her tongue out at him.

This only makes him chuckle. "You wouldn't rather be spending time with your family?"

"They're at work, right now." She bops the back of his head. "I can't spend much time with them, anyways."

He raises an eyebrow. "I'm at work too..."

She opens her mouth to respond but stops, unsure what to say. "...you won, yet again. Congrats."

He smiles back at her. "I'm sure you'll win too, sometime. Probably something important." He exits onto the floor he was seeking.

"I doubt that." She sighs, letting herself lay against his back once more. "You're just too good..."

"Says the former general to the engineer," he comments wryly.

"I'm better at combat, yes," she smirks softly, "but you're still better at other things."

He narrows his eyes at her. "Like what? Board games?"

"That would be evident, yes." She taps his forehead. "You also tend to have the last word between us."

He just laughs again. "Is that a bad thing?"

"Not necessarily..." She suddenly brightens up, a coy smile on her lips. "...but I hear it's something colts like to have with their marefriends."

Used to this little tactic of hers, her responds with a smirk of his own. "Some I suppose, but I would like to make one thing clear to you, Dior. I'm not a colt, I'm a stallion."

"Isn't that the same thing?" She frowns softly, scratching the side of her head.

The red pony sheepishly smiles at his apparently missed joke. "Thinks of colts as males still in school and inexperienced with many things in life. Stallions are the opposite: mature, working, living their lives."

"Oh?" She chuckles, cupping his chin with a hoof. "And you think you're mature, do you?" She laughs, pecking his nose. "You're not as mature as I am, Hydro."

He smile softens a bit as he lightly taps her nose. "You aren't that much more mature than me. Mentally anyway, considering you still seem to be pretty young at heart."

"Thanks for the compliment." She winks at him before scooting up a bit on his back. "So, where is this pony we're looking for?"

He motions his head towards the door at the end of the hall they aren't far from. "Should be in his office, right there. He seems like a good stallion, a bit short worded and straightforward, but that can be a good thing. Don't think that makes him dumb though, he's like Rhino, always weighing things in his mind."

"I'll take your word for it." She nods, gently hugging his neck. "Thanks for the affection, by the way. It's helping quite a bit."

He leans his head against hers. "Glad you're enjoying it." He stops as they reach the door. "Ready?"

"I think so." She twirls a bit of hair around a hoof, slightly nervous.

"You'll do fine, you've got the right stuff for this, and you've got me helping." He faces forwards again, saying one final thing before they enter. "Just try to relax."

She pouts, nuzzling his neck for comfort. "Easy for you to say."

A talk, a tour, a test, and another talk later, the two exit the dam, Dior and Hydro's back once more and the red pony not bothered one bit by it. He looks back at the small nymph. "Told you it would be fine."

“And you got another one on me." She rolls her eyes playfully. "Still, I'm glad I came. Their stone is too porous."

"Is it really that bad?" He starts walking down the hill. "I mean, I know you mentioned it wasn't the best idea to the boss, even if it was what they had to work with, but how bad are we talking?"

"Too porous, and it absorbs water." She holds up a hoof, frowning sternly. "If it absorbs too much water, it becomes a lot more fragile. In other words, it can break."

He grimaces. "Yeesh, no wonder they had that break a while back. Wonder what pony had the bright idea to use that stone... Doesn't matter I guess, what was that one you suggested to replace it?"

"I suggested granite-based concrete with a gradient aggregate." She giggles, shaking her head. "Granite's not that hard to find, not as porous as the current substance, and, if there are cracks that form, they can be easily sealed with grout."

"Or with that little ability or yours that you showed with those spare pieces?" He asks.

"Yes, but I won't be here every second of the day." She shrugs, closing her eyes and snuggling up a bit more against his back. "They need something in case I'm not here, you know?"

"Fair enough..." he casts another look back at her. "Comfortable?"

"Yes, thank you." She peeks open an eye at him. "Why do you ask?"

He smirks. "Just asking because usually I would expect somepony to curl up and fall asleep on Rhino, not me."

"I'm not sleeping." She smiles back, leaning up and kissing his cheek. "I'm appreciating your strength as I relax."

He straightens up a bit at the last compliment, but still counters with another observation. "And getting awfully affectionate as you do so... is that a changeling thing?"

"Hey, you're giving me just as much affection." She giggles, resting her head against his neck once more. "I'm just giving the same as I'm given."

A chuckle rumbles in his chest. "You just decided not to radiate it like me and instead decide to apply it to my head and neck."

She pauses, pulling back slightly and quirking an eyebrow at him. "Would you prefer me to apply it to your lips?" She smirks, winking playfully at him. "Not that I'm against that idea, of course."

He blinks. "I'm starting to think you're either tired or going through some kind of withdrawal from something... Do I need to get Rhino to stuff you full of love again or something?"

Dior stares at him blankly, unsure of what to think. "...are you immune to teasing, or something?"

"No," he says bluntly, "it just escalated quick enough for me to have to make sure you were still you." He thinks a moment. "Though, considering you asked me if I was single in the first good conversation we had, maybe it's not as big of a jump as I thought."

She shrugs, turning away slightly. "It's not my fault that you're handsome."

For once, the red stallion finds himself unable to come up with a retort, and resolves to simply turn and continue walking, the slightest bit of reddened skin able to be seen through his fur as it shifts while he walks.

The nymph rubs his fur with cheek before blinking, jerking away in surprise. "...am I imagining things, or did you just get warmer?"

Hydro grumbles to her, still facing forward. "I admit nothing."

She smirks, leaning forward and playfully nuzzling his neck. "Sooner or later, the truth will come out. I can be patient."

He actually has a counter for that. "I'm an earth pony, I can be stubborn."

"I'm a literal earth changeling." She laughs boldly. "I can beat you in a challenge of wills."

A corner of his mouth raises up. "We'll see. I don't think you've encountered a rock like me before."

Dior smiles, moving up and standing on his back. "Maybe." She leans forward and gently nibbles the tip of his ear. "You've never encountered one like me, either."

His other ear flicks a few times as he answers. "No... no I haven't..."