• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,183 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,183

Chapter 12: Past and Future

Friday morning comes and the Nexus household finds itself awake at its usual time. Today though, they get to take things a little easier as it's a holiday and most ponies, or changelings, don't need to go to work. Judging by the sounds of laughter coming from the living room, some members of the family are enjoying the day off.

Rhino, laying on his back on the rug, smiles as he lifts Ruby into the air with his forehooves. Like an elevator, he brings her up and down, but is careful not to bounce her. With each trip up, she giggles at the highest point, and nuzzles his chest at the lowest. Beside them, Mercury is playing along by raising up on his hind legs at their pace, always staying at the foal's height. Specter and Selena observe the scene, amused, as they lay curled up together on the couch.

Gel enters the room, pausing in the doorway to watch the scene, a small smile on her lips. "I'm glad you two are having fun." She strolls over to them, a pan following behind her in her blue aura. "I made some cookies. Does Mist like chocolate chip?" She looks down at them, unsure.

Rhino stops, setting Ruby on his chest as he leans his head backwards to see Gel. "I'll tell you if I get one~."

"Are you sure?" She turns to him, brow furrowed in concern. "They're still hot, and I don't want you burning your mouth." She pauses, thinking about this a moment before continuing. "Again, I mean."

He sticks out his tongue and blows a small raspberry, Ruby mimicking him as he does so. "Fine, I guess you're right. Yeah, she likes chocolate chip, though Dad and I have always been more of the cookie ponies."

"Well..." She glances back at the doorway. "...I did make two other batches...I wouldn't recommend eating any of the first one, though."

"Hey, at least you're getting better, right?" He smiles at her, trying to comfort her about the kitchen mishaps she usually has.

"I guess...didn't expect a cookie to turn gelatinous, though." She shrugs, shaking her head. "I didn't know shortbread cookies were that hard." A tray comes floating in, accompanied by a glass of milk. "So I made some sugar ones, next. They looked a little plain, though, so I made the chocolate chip."

"Look at you, going variety. I half expected you to wear that apron I like." He winks at her. "You did wonderfully."

"We only have two edible options, though." She lowers the new pan low enough for him to see the light-brown cookies on it. "Feel free to have one, if you're hungry."

He wiggles his eyebrows teasingly. "I'd rather have you in an apron."

She playfully puts a hoof on his lips, smirking coyly at him. "You'll have to wait a bit." She removes her hoof and stuffs a cookie into his mouth. "It's in the wash. I got some cookie dough on it."

He goes to respond, but can't because of the cookie, so he resolves to sit there giving her an upside down glare. Of course, the lack of any real intent behind it plus his cheeks filled cookie kind of ruins any seriousness he's giving off.

Gel giggles, shaking her head as she holds up the glass. "Do you want to drink this, yourself, or should I feed you like Ruby?"

He levitates the glass over to himself with a blush on his cheeks, swallowing so he can speak. "I think the glass will do fine..."

She shrugs, leaning down to kiss the tip of his nose. "Suit yourself, love." She carefully picks Ruby up, cradling her in her forelegs. "You might want to sit up first, though. I don't want you to get milk all over your face, you know."

"Wouldn't be the first time, but it's still a waste of good milk." He shifts into a sitting position and sips the milk, a satisfied smile on his face. "Cookies and milk, always a wonderful combination. Come here and let me thank you properly..." He pulls his wife and daughter close before giving a passionate kiss to the former.

She happily kisses him back, blushing softly as they break it. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you wanted more than just milk and cookies." She sticks her tongue out at him and giggles. "I am glad you like them, of course."

He nods as he nuzzles her. "Just wait until Ruby's old enough to have both instead of one. For now though, I'll enjoy them myself. Oh, and bragging about you to my parents of course."

She nods, glancing at the glass with a small smile. "If you say so." She scratches her head, a flicker of anxiety flashing across her face. "Speaking of your parents, when is she supposed to be coming? You said today, but that's about it, I think..."

He shrugs. "All I know is that she said she was flying in this morning. It's difficult to pin an exact time to that what with all the variables flying has." He looks down at Ruby and rubs her nose with his own. "Ready to meet your grandma and grandpa today?"

She coos brightly, trying to hug his face with her tiny forelegs.

Her mother can only laugh. "I think that's a yes, love."

"Good." He looks back up to Gel. "I'm warning you now though, Mom told me years ago that she is going to spoil any grandchildren of hers, so be prepared for that. She'll probably even bring a gift."

The navy nymph stares at him in clear confusion. "On her own birthday? That's unusual..."

He chuckles. "Honestly I think she cares more about meeting her granddaughter than her birthday. Once ponies get over fifty, some of them stet downplaying them."

She blinks at this, scratching the side of her head. "I thought she was forty-five, at the oldest..."

Rhino shakes his head. "No, she just looks really young for her age. She's actually turning fifty-three this year."

Gel slowly nods, thinking about his words a moment. "I suppose that makes sense...I suppose that means she keeps herself in shape, huh?" She stands silently for a few seconds before turning her gaze downward, smiling softly at their daughter. "I'm sorry, I'm still really nervous...even though I know I shouldn't be..."

"That's because you're silly sometimes." He leans his head down and nuzzles her as Ruby snuggles against her chest at the same time, sensing her father's intentions. "Of course, I know full well I'm not exempt from silliness either. Look, they love you, they love me, they'll love her. What more is there?"

She hesitates before sighing quietly, her ears flattening against her head. "Their reactions to her...condition?"

A shadow of a grimace flits over Rhino's face but he spouts out his thoughts to keep himself from dwelling on it. "Her abilities will likely be a source of curiosity and delight, as for the small issue... we know about it, we know some precautions to take. They'll be concerned, but they'll love her all the same. They might even have suggestions."

She looks up at him, hope and concern conflicting within her. "A-are you sure, love?"

"Hey Ruby can't help what she is born with, all we can do is make the best of it. They understand that." He embraces her carefully from the side, mindful of the foal cradled to her chest. "On a lighter note, I think our daughter makes a good case on her own for why they should love her."

Gel glances down at her once more, noticing that she's reaching out to the stallion while babbling brightly. "I can't deny that. She's probably cute enough to make a stubborn mule smile." She gingerly gives him the filly, smiling warmly. "Don't you agree?"

Rhino takes the filly, who immediately starts nuzzling against his fur. "I couldn't agree more."

Suddenly, a series of knocks come from the front door.

The navy changeling jumps slightly, not expecting the noise. She blushes brightly, placing the pans of cookies on a nearby table. "T-that should be her. I'll get it!" She rushes out of the room, trying to hide her embarrassment. She opens the door, smiling nervously. "H-hello."

On the threshold stand a red pegasus mare, her short brown mane hanging just to the side of one of her golden eyes. She smiles warmly at Gel, reaching forward and bringing hr into a hug. "There's my favorite daughter-in-law."

Her blush flares back up as she returns the embrace. "A-am I not your only daughter-in-law, Mist?"

"Well, you are, but that doesn't mean you're not still my favorite." Mist holds the changeling at arms length. "It's good to see you again."

Gel giggles, nodding genially at her. "It's good to see you again, too. It's been a while - Hearth's Warming, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Way too long in my opinion, but at least I'm back now." She laughs. "Don't think this means I won't be popping in again during this years Hearth Warming."

The nymph laughs at this, finally relaxing. "I wouldn't want you to do otherwise." She glances to the living room door, tapping her chin a bit. "You know, Rhino is in there with Ruby. Would you like to talk with them, now?"

"Of course!" Mist eyes light up. "I can't wait to see the little one! I bet she's adorable..."

"You'd win that bet." She giggles, turning to the room with a coy smile. "Come, come. I want to see what they're doing before they notice us."

The two females walk back in to a curious sight. Rhino is back on the floor, this time on his stomach, and all the pets have decided it's time to pila onto him. All three and snuggled on his back, while he plays with Ruby. The tiny pink filly is being entertained as her father takes a blanket and puts it over his eyes, leaving his green muzzle poking out. Ruby pokes his nose with her hoof, causing him to suddenly whip the blanket up and expose his wide eye as he a silly 'rawr' sound. The filly laughs and falls backwards every time as this process repeats.

Gel smiles, playfully nudging the pegasus's side. "Isn't that cute? He does this on occasion, and she just loves it when he does."

The older mother smiles knowingly. "I always figured he'd be the kind of dad that would enjoy doing silly things with his children as long as it made them happy." She looks to the nymph. "He isn't hogging her is he? You get to have just as much time with her?"

"I do." She giggles, walking over to the group on the floor and nudging his shoulder gently. "Are you enjoying yourself, love?"

He looks up at her with a cheeky grin. "Actually, I'm being held captive by the various cute members of the family and forced to perform for the amusement of their leader. Quickly, defect from their team and save me!"

The nymph rolls her eyes teasingly, turning to their daughter and laying down like her stallion. "Ruby, there's somepony here to see you."

As Rhino laments the loss of his one chance to escape, the filly looks at her mother curiously.

She carefully picks her up, turning her so they're both facing the mare. "This is Mist, your grandmother."

Ruby's face is still curious as the pegasus approaches and leans her head down to the filly's level with a gentle smile. "Hey there cutie..." She slowly moves a hoof toward the filly's mane.

The foal smiles as the kind mare starts stroking her mane. As Mist reaches a certain spot, Ruby leans into her hoof at the feeling.

This makes the red mare giggle. "Just like your father and grandpa..." She continues stroking the filly's mane as she speaks. "No calling me 'grandma' though, no 'granny' or anything like that. Call me... Mimi."

Rhino shakes his head from where he still is on the floor. "You always did hate the thought of being called 'grandma'... yet you loved the idea of being one."

Gel taps her chin thoughtfully. "You want her to call you 'Mimi'? May I ask why?"

"Well, it's not too far of a stretch from 'Mist'." The older mare straightens up to look Gel in the eye. "It's more personal than just calling me by my name, and it doesn't make me feel old." She runs a hoof through her own mane. "The silver strands do that enough as is."

She tilts her head, confused by this. "What silver strands? I don't see anything like that..."

"Well, I try to pluck them when I see them but..." The older mare lifts up her mane where it naturally falls to one side of her head. "If you look at the base, you can see them."

The nymph leans close, seeing less than an inch of silver at the root of some strands. "It's not that bad." She smiles, shaking her head. "I like to think of them as proof of wisdom."

Mist laughs as she sets her mane back down. "Wisdom huh? I like that." She looks back at Ruby with a soft smile before turning to Gel. "Would you mind if I hold her?"

She laughs, carefully holding the filly out to her. "I don't mind at all. Please be careful with her, Mist..."

Mist takes the foal gingerly, sitting down so she can hold her with both forelegs. She looks down at the filly with a tender face. "Reminds me of when you were little, Rhino... Though she's not quite as much of a fluffball as you were."

The stallion chuckles as he stands up, the pets still on his back and not looking like they want to move anytime soon. "True, hopefully she's not quite as much of a rascal as I was..."

His wife looks from one to the other and back, confused by this. "What do you mean by that?"

Both of the ponies chuckle before Mist answers. "Oh, don't get me wrong, he was a sweet foal, but remind me to tell you some stories later about how much of a booger he was sometimes. Cheeky even before he knew what the word meant..." Her wings start messing with her saddlebags. I actually brought a little something for Ruby, if you don't mind me giving it to her." She pulls out a classic foal toy: a plastic key ring with the usual oversized colorful keys on it.

Gel blinks, glancing briefly at the red teething ring on the ground next to Rhino's hooves. "I don't mind...I mean, you went through all the trouble to get it, so..." She trails off, embarrassed by her own words.

"It was no trouble, I just saw it and thought she might like it because it moves and makes noise when she plays with it." She gives it to the foal, who takes it in her hooves. She shakes it once and, delighted by the noise she can now make with it, proceeds to shake it more, laughing as she does so. "It's mostly to keep them entertained."

"I see..." She taps her chin, thinking a moment. ...I hope she doesn't spoil her too much...I hear enough from Applejack about that pampered bully of Apple Bloom's...

Rhino tosses a glance Gel's way. I believe I did already warn you that she's going to spoil her. Don't worry though, as a product of her raising techniques, I can tell you she knows how to draw the line.

She nods slowly, still a little nervous. I can believe that... She watches Ruby play with the plastic keys for a few seconds, a bittersweet smile on her lips. ...I...w-when should we tell her? A-about her condition, I mean?

Well... I doubt you want to go through it more than once, so... maybe once Dad arrives? Mist blows a raspberry on the filly stomach, making her laugh and squirm while bringing a smile to the stallion's face.

Gel giggles, shaking her head. You're right, love. She clears her throat, gesturing towards the trays on the table. "W-would you like a cookie, Mist? Freshly baked!"

"I'd love one." She walks over on three legs and pops a cookie into her mouth. "Mmm!" She swallows. "Delicious! Well done, Gel! I guess you're past blowing up the ingredients?"

"A little..." She nervously laughs, glancing towards the doorway. "...I burnt the first batch..."

The older mare waves her unoccupied hoof. "That's no big deal, everypony burns something they're trying to cook occasionally." Ruby starts squirming which makes Mist look down. "Oh, you're just so cute!" She nuzzles the filly, but she just keeps squirming.

Rhino, recognizing the face his daughter is making quickly walks over. "Let's see..." He take Ruby in his magic and flips her over. "Yep, changing time." He and the levitating foal start heading out of the room as he calls back to them. "I'll handle it. You girls have fun."

"Okay!" Gel waves until he's gone, leaving her alone with the pegasus. She glances at her before picking up a sugar cookie, nibbling it absently as she tries to think of a way to phrase the question that's been on her mind.

Mist, for her part, looks fondly at the door Rhino had exited out of. "That's my colt... knowing him, he probably considers changing her to just be more time spent with her."

"We both do." She rubs the back of her neck, still feeling a bit awkward. "I didn't join, though, because I wanted to discuss something with you..."

"Hmm?" The mare turns to the nymph. "Is his the part where you say you're nervous about being a mother, I tell you you're doing fine, and then you end up asking for advice?"

She shakes her head. "That's not it." She steps forward, a small frown on her lips. "I just want to know...why did you and Bio break up? I just...I can't see why it happened..."

Mist's expression instantly drops. "It's, well, there's always a reason... I mean, we had our differences, everypony does..."

The navy nymph sighs, shaking her head once more. "Please...I don't like the thought of a happy couple being apart...surely your differences aren't too big, right?"

"No no, it wasn't that, we were still happy..." She sighs before walking over to a chair and plopping down into it. "It just... got too much after..."

Gel moves in front of her, sitting down promptly. "...after what? You can tell me..."

"Well... things started downhill after... Bio's mother passed away." She lets that information sink in before continuing. "He took it very hard... He threw himself into his work as a firepony at the time, and because of how their shifts work, I wouldn't see him for days at a time sometimes. He'd come home and was always withdrawn, tired... I tried to hold out, thinking he would snap out of it, but I think it just got worse. He started snapping at me, and I'll admit I snapped right back half of the time, which didn't help. He would always make sure he didn't actually raise a hoof to anypony though, just kept bottling himself back up. His father and I suggested mayybe he go see somepony, to get help getting past everything and realize what he was doing... but he was stubborn. Finally, I decided I had enough, so I moved out with Rhino and told him that I didn't want to raise my foal around what we were becoming. Rhino was four at the time, so he doesn't remember any of it." Mist pauses and takes a moment ebfore continuing. "My leaving finally broke Bio, and he did end up seeing a professional. He realized he was still grieivng and was expressing it in ways that hurt those around him. We still spoke, and we agreed that even though we were separated, we wouldn't raise our foal without either one of us. We stayed good friends, and well, the rest you probably know."

Gel whimpers softly, her ears flattened against her head in mortification. "I-I had no idea that...it was that painful..." She averts her gaze to the floor, unsure of what to say. "...I...I know what it's like to lose a parent...I lost both of mine...at different times, but I digress..."

"You poor thing..." Mist brings the nymph in for a hug. "Nopony really knows how they'll react. Everything worked out alright though."

"...I suppose..." She groans quietly, closing her eyes. She wants to say more, but worries that she'll mess up what appears to be a precarious balance between these ponies.

Despite this reservation, she finds herself saying something anyways. "Do you still love him?" She bites her lip, horrified that she just blurted that out.

The mare is silent a moment before responding. "I did tell Rhino I would always love his father. I wasn't lying..."

"Then, if he's over his grieving...then why aren't you two back together?" She grimaces, wondering why she is continuing to press this issue. "...s-sorry for being so nosy...I just..." She takes a deep breath, closing her eyes as she braces herself. "...I can feel how much you two love each other...when you both are in the room, I have trouble sorting Rhino's out of it. It's that potent."

"Is it really?" Mist actually sounds surprised by this as she stops hugging Gel and holds her at arm's length. "I would have thought after almost twenty years it would have mellowed a bit... Maybe I've just gotten used to it..."

"It seems that way, yes." She scratches her head as she considers this. "If it has mellowed out, then it was nearly powerful enough to rival that of the Crystal Empire's rulers...of course, that's a rough estimate."

"Well, I don't know about that... maybe it's just that old 'distance makes the heart grow fonder' thing coming into play. As for why we're not back together..." she thinks, "I don't know... once bitten, twice shy perhaps? Neither of us ever really discussed it. We've both dated other ponies since then, I know that much."

Gel droops, hearing those words. "...I-I see...well, if you're happy as you are, who am I to say otherwise?" She shrugs half-heartedly, laying down completely on the carpeted floor as she mutters to herself. "...getting Manila together with Big Mac was much easier than this..."

Mist is quiet for a minute before speaking again. "Do you really think it would work?"

She blinks, looking up at the pegasus in confusion. "...I'm sorry?"

The mare repeats herself. "Do you really think it would work, he and I... trying again?"

She stays silent for a second - just a second - before smiling, nodding genially. "I do."

Mist nods, but doesn't say anything more as the air conditioner kicks on and her feathers ruffle from the sudden blast of cold air. She moves off the chair since it lies almost directly in the path of the cold, rubbing her legs with a wing as she casts a glance at the door. "I wonder what's taking Rhino so long..."

The nymph turns her gaze to the door, tilting her head to one side. "I wonder that, too. Maybe she got hungry?"

At that moment, the door opens again and shows the the changeling is correct. Rhino walks on three legs as he holds Ruby in his foreleg and her bottle in his magic. "Sorry for the long wait, Little Miss Fussy here decided she wanted to eat after she got changed."

Gel beams at him, giggling softly. "I see. I'm glad that's all, because I was worried you fell asleep."

He chuckles. "You really think this little one would let me fall asleep?"

Mist has her own question for Gel. "Why would he fall asleep anyway?"

She waves a hoof dismissively. "I was just kidding, Mist. He does enjoy holding her as she falls asleep, though."

Mist giggles. "Oh, I know that feeling. I remember all the times I used to fall asleep with him while we were in the rocking chair. Sometimes I could even just set him on my back, lay on the ground and flap my wings, the motion put him right to sleep."

Rhino rolls his eyes as he sits on the couch while Ruby drinks her milk. "There you go, giving away all my secrets again."

His mother simply winks at him. "It's my job."

The navy nymph can only laugh, shaking her head at this. "Your family can be quite fun, love."

He smiles. "I can be a buzzkill sometimes, but that doesn't mean I can't be fun other times."

She sticks her tongue out at him. You know what I meant.

***

A few hours are passed by the group by doing the usual things: chatting, playing with the pets, playing with the foal, snacking, and all other sorts of various 'hanging out' type activities. Noon rolls around and Mist, Rhino, Gel, and Ruby head out towards the train station, the red pegasus happily wearing the sling with the foal in it.

As the group waits on the platform, Rhino casts a glance over at his mother and foal, letting out a small snort of air before turning back to watch the hill the trains come from. He thinks to Gel as they wait. I still can't believe she pulled the guilt card of her not seeing Ruby often so that she could be the one to carry her. That's cheating.

She smirks, playfully bumping his side with hers. Why Rhino, is that jealousy I feel coming off you?

Yes, yes it is. This statement is thought matter-of-factly, though the tone changes to slightly sheepish as he continues. I've just... gotten used to having you and Ruby all to myself, and I like the bonding... I don't really hold it against Mom, and I'm happy she is enjoying herself too, but there's still always that little feeling in your head that wants to always be holding the ones you care about most. You feel that too, right?

The navy nymph goes to respond but pauses, tilting her head to one side. Honestly...I've been raised by nannies until I entered the army... She cranes her neck, trying to see if anything was coming down the track. ...sure, Mom visit me every so often, but still...I've felt what you've described in the past two years, and it's overwhelming... She nervously laughs. It's part of the reason I was a little...physical, when I first moved in...well, that and your fur...

He raises a teasing eyebrow at her. What do you mean you 'were' a little physical? I don't recall you ever stopping. Of course, I don't think I'd ever want you to.

She can only blush, looking down the track once more. When's that train going to get here? We can't start the party until Bio's here!

He chuckles. Well, if you were to look the other way down the track, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

She squeaks, quickly turning the other way. She brightens up at the sight of the train, her embarrassment forgotten. That's the train, right? It has to be! She almost seems to be dancing in place, unable to hide her excitement.

He raises an eyebrow curiously as he bumps her side lightly. What's got you as excited as a filly on Hearth's Warming?

She jumps at the touch and looks at him, immediately forcing herself to calm down. She smiles softly, a twinkle in her eye. It's a secret! She giggles impishly as she faces forward, her gaze locked on the door of the train as it pulls into the station.

The doors open to let out the usual flood of ponies, though between a foal, a changeling, and a large stallion, the group is easily given their space so that they aren't jostled by anypony running into them. As the crowd thins, Rhino spots the grey mane and blue horn of his father, and soon the pony himself comes into view, smiling at all of them.

Gel smiles back, stepping forward and hugging him in a manner one would greet a good friend. She pulls away with a quiet giggle. "Hello, Bio. Did you have a nice trip?"

The mustached stallion nods at the nymph. "I did, even got a seat all to myself." His eyes, the same color of chocolate brown passed onto his son, roam over the assembled group, locking onto the small bit of Pink he can see poking out of the sling. "It's good to see you all again. Is that..."

Rhino answers with a proud smile as Mist tilts the sling so the foal inside can be seen easier. "Dad, meet Ruby."

The older stallion leans down the the filly, smiling as her green eyes look up at him. As he gets closer, Ruby reaches up a hoof and pokes his mustache with it, letting out a sharp sound and withdrawing it quickly. However, she soon extends the hoof again, poking the bristly facial hair that she is unused to and letting out a small laugh as she does so.

Bio chuckles as the filly plays with his mustache. "It's always the first thing they comment on..."

Gel covers her mouth with a hoof, trying to keep herself from laughing as well. They warmed up rather quickly to each other, didn't they? I'm kind of glad...

She does seem to get used to some ponies rather quickly... He smiles as the two grandparents nuzzle the tiny foal at the same time, much to her delight. "Shall we head back to the house, you two? I'm sure we can all dote on Ruby there just as easily as here."

"Fine, but I still get to carry her," Mist says in a 'there will be no discussion' tone.

Rhino doesn't say a word as they as they start walking, but thinks a few to his wife. You, me, and Ruby are going to be cuddling so much once these two are gone...

She smirks, entwining her tail in his. I don't mind that one bit.

Bio offers a topic for the trip home. "So, did you hear that they've started scouting towns for the Equestrian games?"

Rhino blinks. "Oh? I swear the fact that it only happens every four years gives me just enough time to forget it exists and be surprised when it comes around again..."

Gel tilts her head to one side, confused. "Equestrian games? What do you mean by that?" She looks to each of the ponies, hoping someone would clarify.

Rhino tries his best to explain. "Well, it's a sort of...gathering of the best athletes from various parts of Equestria that is held every four years. They compete in almost every single sport imaginable. It's supposed to foster both a sense of competitiveness and respect." He looks to his father. "Does that sound about right?"

Bio nods. "That's all the important parts."

The navy nymph slowly nods, putting a hoof on her chin in thought. "I guess that explains why we were never informed...of course..." She sheepishly smiles, looking at her stallion. "...I've never really been interested in sports, to begin with..."

Mist laughs. "Oh, neither has Rhino. He watches maybe five minutes of something before he gets bored and is then simply sitting there so as not to appear rude to those who are actually interested."

She giggles, smirking slightly at Rhino. "Oh? Is that right?"

He shrugs with a smile. "I've just never been that into them. Still, I understand that a lot of ponies get excited for the Games."

"Speaking of..." She looks to Bio, curious. "...you say they're 'scouting towns'? What do you mean by that?"

"Well," the blue stallion begins, "the games don't really have a set location. So, they pick a town each time to host them. It's a real boost for the tourist industry and a great honor for the town." He looks around. "Although, I think Ponyville's size and lack of an arena puts it out of the running."

"That's true...but what about Canterlot?" She turns her gaze towards the red pegasus. "Or Cloudsdale, for that matter?"

Bio explains. "Well, Canterlot hosted it last time, and the rules say a town can't host again for two times after it has. This way no town hogs it."

Mist continues. "They are actually scouting Cloudsdale this year, but they haven't gotten to us just yet. They do have to go all around Equestria after all."

Gel nods, looking up at the trees above them. "I suppose that makes sense...though I have to wonder if they'll consider our land for these 'games'..."

Her husband thinks on this a moment. "Well, with things so fresh right now, I doubt it this time. Plus, you guys do live mostly in the Badlands, so a little prep would probably be needed before they would consider that area..."

She visibly deflates at this, sighing softly. "...it was a nice thought when it lasted..."

He nuzzles her to cheer her up. "Hey, I said 'this time' who knows what will happen in four years? The might even have changeling competitors or sports if they can make the regulations for them."

She grimaces, blushing slightly. "Obviously, one thing would be no shape-shifting, right?" She nervously laughs, rubbing the back of her neck.

He nods. "Well, for the traditional sports yes, but if they made changeling versions or custom sports all together, maybe they might have a sport entirely dedicated to shape-shifting."

Bio comments. "Imagine if they had a hoofball game entirely consisting of changelings with no limits on what they could change to."

Rhino eyebrows raise, intrigued. "You know, I would actually watch that. It sounds interesting."

Gel taps her chin, thinking a bit. "...I don't think I could even guess the outcome of that...one question, though..." She looks to her husband, curious. "...what's hoofball, exactly?"

The green unicorn slowly shakes his head. "I probably should have seen that coming..."

The blue stallion meanwhile, clears his throat. "Let me explain to you exactly what hoofball is..."

The older pony's explanation serves to see them all the way home and included his own personal commentary on excellent examples of games, players, teams, and even good and bad seasons. This was of course, all said after he gave her an entire rundown of the sport, including rules.

They approach the front porch as he concludes. "And that, Gel, is hoofball."

She stares at him a few moments, an eyebrow quirked. "I would never have guessed you were such a big fan, Bio. Thanks for explaining it to me, though." She steps over to the front door, pushing it open and heading over to the kitchen. "Would you like a cookie? I have quite a few I made earlier today."

"Cookie? Don't mind if I do." He follows the nymph into the kitchen.

Meanwhile, as Rhino yet again looks at his daughter in her sling, Mist rolls her eyes and takes the foal out, giving her to him. "Alright alright, here. You really just love holding her don't you?" At the stallion's small blush but soft smile as the filly snuggles against his chest, the pegasus giggles. "Of course, at the end of the trip, judging by how much she kept looking back at you, I think she missed you just as much."

Rhino just smiles more and he nuzzles the filly and she responds in kind.

Gel returns to the room, a large platter of cookies floating next to her, as well as a couple glasses of milk. She smiles warmly, seeing her love with their daughter. "...aww...that's so adorable..."

"Isn't it though?" Mist asks as she peers at them through a small camera before a small click sounds from it. "And now I can look at it whenever I want to, hah!"

She blinks, looking at the mare incredulously. Was that really necessary? I mean, she could've just taken the picture... She brings the plate over to Rhino, offering him a cookie and one of the glasses.

He snags the snack gratefully. Oh, I doubt it'll be the last picture. She surprised me with it though, so she probably got the honest view. He kisses her lips lightly. You can take the next one you're not in.

She quirks an eyebrow at him. Why? Did you just assume I was jealous? She stands silently for a moment before turning and blushing brightly. Okay, so I was a bit jealous, but still!

As Mist and Bio chat a little, Rhino thinks teasingly back to Gel. But what? I was jealous of holding her, you're jealous of not takign the picture. Face it, we both want to smother her and each other in affection. He boops her nose gently. And you know it.

She playfully sticks her tongue out at him. You know me so well.

Suddenly, Mist's voice floats over to them. "Having conversation's in your heads again? You always get quiet like that when you do."

Gel jumps, turning to the mare in embarrassment. "...um...y-yes, we were..."

The mare giggles. "It's fine dear, but I do wonder if you plan on being able to do that with Ruby too." She laughs again. "A whole family chatting away among your own minds while to everypony else it just appears that you're giving each other meaningful looks."

She tilts her head, considering this for a moment. "...I would say so...but then I think about her trying to form a mental link with other ponies..." She shakes her head, sighing softly. "I wouldn't want her to be singled out because of something we accidentally put into her head."

The older ponies tilt their heads. "What do you mean?"

She flinches, tapping her hooves together nervously. "...w-well...there are some ponies who would...make fun of her for that...probably because of prejudice, I mean..."

Mist eyes widen in understanding. "Oh, you meant she would try to form links because of the fact that you have one?"

She nods. "P-pretty much, yes..."

Rhino comments as he thinks. "Well, I mean, even if we can't or don't link with her, she'll find out we have it between each other eventually, right?"

"I know that..." She pokes the floor with a hoof, avoiding their eyes as she speaks. "...I just want her to know how special it is...that it's not just something to form on a whim with someone you just met..."

He holds Ruby out so that she latches onto her mom's muzzle with all four hooves in an effort to cheer her up. "Then we'll just tell her that. Besides, I'm not even sure if she'll be able to make the bond herself, since you had to do it for us and she's only half-changeling."

"I know that." She blinks, looking at the filly who's currently muffling her words. She giggles, nuzzling the pink pony playfully before directing her attention back to the stallion. I'm more worried about her trying to form one with a random pony.

At the nuzzle, Ruby laughs and releases her mother, giving her a parting nuzzle before turning around and letting Rhino bring her back against his chest. Doesn't it require some sort of mutual want or something? I mean, I know ours came about that first night after i knew you were a changeling... of course, I'm just guessing what it requires really since I consider ours different from those temporary ones Luster makes with us occasionally so she can speak.

Those both are valid forms of the link. The difference is ours requires a strong love between the beings in question. She scratches at the back of an ear as she munches on a sugar cookie. Luster's simply requires respect, admiration, or, if I'm not mistaken, friendship from the one forming it, and acceptance from the former. She glances up, as if remembering something. There is another way for a link to form, though...

A few key parts of her argument sink in. Oh, I see what you mean, she could try and form a link, ponies might not know what she's doing, and then hold that against her... He continues the rest out loud for his parents' sake. "Well, she's probably going to figure it out anyway, so... I guess we just teach her about it and how to be careful with it. Same as magic, words, flying, and any number of other things."

She thinks for a moment before nodding. "...I suppose that's fair...doesn't mean I won't still worry, though..."

Mist comments. "Then you're doing the job of a mom."

Rhino nods in agreement. "Yep, now, shall we actually move to the living room to start the party instead of sitting here in the entrance hall chatting?"

"Sure!" Gel laughs, quickly walking into the living room with the tray and Rhino's milk glass. Make sure to grab the items from the hall closet, love!

Will do! His horn lights up and two wrapped packages float out of the closet and after him as he enters the living room. He looks to Gel as he enters. "As you requested, Miss Hostess." He floats the packages onto the coffee table next to the cookies.

"Why thank you." She giggles, gently kissing his forehead. "Remind me to thank you later, okay?"

"Of course," he responds, winking at her.

Mist giggles. "Oh you two, such a cute pair. You really didn't have to get me presents you know."

"Oh, but we wanted to." She smiles, nodding genially at the mare. "You deserve it, after all."

Rhino nods. "And, because it surprisingly hasn't been said yet," he sets Ruby on Gel's back before walking over to his mother and hugging her. "Happy birthday."

Gel pouts at her stallion, pretending to be upset. "I was just about to say that..."

"Woops." He laughs sheepishly as he extends an arm towards her. "You're free to join the hug and say it anyway."

She rolls her eyes and steps forward, hugging the red pegasus kindly. "Happy birthday, Mist." She starts, groaning inwardly as she suddenly realizes something. Damn it! I forgot to buy the cake! She glances at Rhino, nervous. P-please pardon my language, love.

He does the mental equivalent of a shrug and replies. I've heard you say worse at times when your... emotions get high. He spies their daughter climbing up the back of Gel's neck and onto her mane.

The nymph tries to look up at her mane, curious. "Ruby? What are you doing up there?"

Of course, the little filly doesn't answer, but burrows down into Gel's mane much like she does with Rhino's. Her green eyes peek out once most of her has been covered.

Gel puffs her cheeks out, pouting once more. ...I can't believe I'm missing out on her cuteness...

He nuzzles her as they carefully break the hug with Mist without dislodging the filly. She's just bonding with you. Besides, between you, her, and the pets, all kinds of things happen on my head or on my back where I can't see it well. Your turn. He sticks his tongue out at her.

She gives him a half-smile, wagging a hoof playfully. Touche.

He gets back to the matter at hoof. "So, what first, Miss Hostess?"

"W-well..." She glances at the cookies, brightening up as a thought occurs to her. "Since we don't have a cake, these will have to do. As for a candle..." She concentrates, a small wisp of fire appearing in the air above the plate. She looks to Rhino, gesturing towards the flame with a hoof. "...will this do?"

He simply looks at Mist, "What say you, birthday girl?"

The pegasus smiles as she looks around. "With my family around me, I'd say it's perfect. It's been years since I had candles at my birthday anyway, so I'm going to enjoy this." She takes a breath a blows out the flame to applause from everypony.

Gel pumps a hoof into the air, grinning brightly. "Alright! Time for presents!" She gestures to the table. "Which do you want to open, first?"

"Hmm..." Mist picks up the shorter present. "This one." She starts working the paper off the package as Ruby pokes her head out of Gel's mane to see better.

Gel smiles, nodding slightly. "I hope you like that one. It took three attempts to get it just right."

The older mare finishes getting the paper off, revealing the gift to be a picture frame she is holding with the back to her. She flips it over and looks stunned at what she sees before softly smiling.

It is a photograph, carefully placed in an intricate ebony frame. What made this special, however, was the picture, itself. It features Rhino and Gel laying together on the couch, looking down at the filly cuddling with a certain silver fox in front of and between them. They are leaning against each other, and, on top of their heads, their last two pets do the same. The window behind the seat perfectly frames the two smaller forms, the soft evening light illuminating their forms.

"This is..." Mist clutches the picture to her, her eyes closed. "This is perfect... I love it. I'm going to put it in a place I can see it every day at home."

Gel smiles warmly, nodding a bit. "I'm glad to hear that." She gently hugs the mare, her eyes closing as well.

Bio chuckles. "Back to hugging already?" He looks to his son. "I think you got your love of hugs from your mother, then waited until you found a wife that loved them just as much."

Rhino smiles as he looks away. "Maybe..."

She pulls away to point a hoof at the mustached stallion. "I'll have you know I love to cuddle more than I love to hug." She blinks a thought coming to her. Come to think of it...did Bio come here with a present?

Rhino thinks back to her. He might be waiting until we give ours.

Mist giggles as she sets the picture on the table and reaches for the next box before commenting to the nymph. "Cuddling is just advanced hugging, Gel."

"I understand what you mean." She glances at Rhino, smirking slightly. We prefer to think of it as foreplay, though.

He cheekily thinks back. So those days we enjoy spending just cuddled up on the couch are just long foreplay sessions?

Maybe I should add a 'sometimes', in there. She glances at Mist when the package makes a noise as it's picked up. It's not breakable, is it?

No. He answers as Mist gets into the paper and soon has the box exposed.

The mare lifts the lid off the box and smiles wide as she reaches down with a wing and pulls out the windchime, its wooden disks hitting the metal rods to create bell-like tones before she silences with with her other wing. "I can't even remember the last time I got myself a new wind chime... thank you, Rhino." She sets the chime back in its box before walking over and wrapping her son in a hug using forelegs and wings.

He responds in kind, leaning down to gently hug his small mother.

Gel blinks, genuinely surprised by this. ...I guess you were right... She turns away, gently placing Ruby on her blanket on the floor. She gives a small laugh, floating the plastic keys over to the pink filly. ...remind me to never doubt you again, love...

He chuckles as his mother squeezes him tightly. To be honest, I prefer your gift to her, it's much more personal. Feel free to doubt me when you want, it keeps me in check.

She glances up at him, quirking an eyebrow slightly but nodding anyways. ...if you're sure, love...

As the mother and son break their hug, Bio's horn lights up. A small box floats out of his bag as he speaks. "I actually brought a gift myself. I hope you like it, Mist."

The pegasus walks over and carefully takes the box that's about the size of her hoof. She starts unwrapping it, her eyes curious.

The navy nymph, also curious, cranes her neck, trying to see. "What is it?"

As the paper comes off, Mist looks at the box a moment before looking back at Bio. "You got me my favorite perfume?"

He motions to the box. "I figured it would last you a while. Do you still use this scent?"

"Definitely! Thank you!" She leans forward and gives the blue stallion a hug before pecking him on the cheek.

Gel giggles, smiling warmly at the actions as she whispers to herself. "I knew it..."

The older parents break the hug and Mist stows all of her gifts safely in her bag. She grabs another cookie as she watches Ruby toddle around Gel and Rhino's legs. The mare smiles warmly. "Just precious..."

She smiles, gently stroking the filly's mane as she passes. "Isn't she just?" She bumps Rhino's side, smirking slightly. "I think she'll become as skilled as her father...she takes after him so well, already..."

Mist tilts her head. "But... Rhino's skill is magic... and she's an earth pony..."

Rhino responds. "Well, she is right now anyway. Normally she isn't."

Bio sums things up nicely. "...What?"

"That's something she gained from me." Gel laughs brightly. "She was born a unicorn..."

Mist winces. "Oh dear... that wasn't any fun for me... was it any better for you?"

"Well, her horn did poke me at first..." She scratches the side of her head. "...but, since she was so small, it really didn't hurt too much..."

"Ah, I had noticed she was small, but I didn't say anything. I guess by how you're acting, that size is normal for changelings." Mist puts a hoof to her chin. "So... she can change species?"

"Yes," she shrugs slightly, watching as their silver fox walks up to Ruby, "but just to the regular three types, it seems."

Bio nods, looking at the filly. "Has she shown any other abilities?"

Gel shakes her head. "I don't think she has..."

Rhino continues. "She's usually a unicorn, but she's been an earth pony lately because she's teething and they're better at pain tolerance."

"Ah..." The pegasus looks at the new parents with concern. "Have there been any... problems... with the fact that she's a hybrid?"

The nymph flinches slightly, looking to her love with a small frown. "...w-well...there is one thing..."

Rhino picks up the filly as he explains. "There's a small issue with her bones... their density is lower than it should be, likely a result of Gel having an exoskeleton as opposed to my endoskeleton. It's nothing too bad, but still, her bones are weaker than normal."

Mist's wings droop. "Oh... I'm so sorry..."

"I-it's not too bad." She leans over and tenderly nuzzles Ruby. "She might not be able to do everything a normal pony can...but she should be able to live a relatively normal life..."

The grandmother works up a smile as the filly nuzzles her mother back. "Well... as long as it's only that... I'm thankful. It could have been far worse..."

"Well," Gel taps her chin, tilting her head to one side in thought, "there's also her increased natural empathy, but I don't really know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing..."

Bio muses. "Well, Rhino has that too, and he turned out pretty well. Though, I suspect hers is slightly different..."

"It..." She trails off, unsure. She looks to her husband, nervous. "...R-Rhino, would you like to take this?"

Her husband looks at his parents. "Natural changeling emotion sensing empathy. So, yeah... a little different."

They blink. "Oh... ok."

I don't think I could've said it better, myself. She nuzzles his cheek gently, her thoughts beginning to wander. "That's as much as we know, at the moment..."

The nod, everypony going silent for a moment, well, everypony except Ruby, who giggles quietly as she nuzzles Rhino's chest. Bio is the one to break the silence with actual words. "So... how do we refer to Ruby? Is she a foal... a pupa... something different?"

"Foal." Gel turns to Bio, her gaze even. "Despite what she gained from me, she is, by all means, still a pony." She smirks playfully. "She just has more compact cuteness."

This causes a chuckle through the room, and things soon switch to happier topics of conversations. The day goes on photos, laughter, and general good times with family. After the sun begins its journey over the horizon once more, the time comes for everypony to head home. The all stand on their porch saying goodbye.

Mist stand off the the side, her head to the sky as the wind blows through her mane, framing her thoughtful expression.

The nymph notices this, tilting her head to one side. "Is something on your mind, Mist?"

The mare responds simply. "Just thinking about how I'm going to get home..."

She opens her mouth to respond, but, with a quick glance to the mustached unicorn, quickly closes it. She shrugs and smiles warmly at them both. "However that ends up, I hope you both have a safe trip back."

Bio looks at Mist. "Aren't you just going to fly home again?"

She turns to him. "Well, the wind isn't great right now... a bit chillier than I expected, you know I don't do well with cold, and the direction is working directly against me."

He nods in understanding. "So... what are you going to do then?"

She looks up again. "Well... you know I'm not the strongest pegasus, so I don't want to risk fighting it..." She turns to the older stallion. "Would it be possible for me to maybe come home with you and fly out tomorrow morning?"

Bio gives one of the warmest smiles Gel has ever seen from him. "I told you, my door is always open for you when you need it."

"Well then," She walks over and nudges his side. "We'd better get going then since I'll need to buy a ticket." The pegasus turns back to the younger family. "You three take care now, and Gel, don't hesitate to send me a letter if you ever want some mothering tips and tricks!"

"I'll be sure to remember that." She giggles and waves. "You two have a nice night, okay?"

With a twinkle in her eyes, Mist calls back. "Don't worry, we will!" She waves back enthusiastically with a wing.

As they get out of sight, Rhino remarks to his wife while he opens the door for her. "Why do I think you had something to do with that?"

"Because you're silly that way." She sticks her tongue out at him and turns to head back inside.