• Published 12th Oct 2013
  • 6,235 Views, 256 Comments

Conspiracy - FallBlau



Twilight Sparkle plunges Equestria into the depths of deprivation as she skillfully plots against her former friends and confidants, using any means at her disposal to claw her way to power.

  • ...
39
 256
 6,235

Honor Virtutis Praemium

There was a soft tap on the door of the Royal Bedchambers. “Princess…” the voice whispered, “Princess.” The Lunar Guard paused a moment, waiting for a response before tapping again. “It’s me, Night Storm.”

Again, there was no response.

“Princess…”

As he tapped again, a low voice muttered: “Come in.” Night Storm slowly opened the door, adjusting his eyes as he peered into the darkened room.

In the far corner, the Princess of the Sun stood stalwartly composed, gazing out from her balcony into the night beyond. She was a solitary figure; unmoving, even as Night Storm cleared his throat, trying to make his presence known.

“Princess, I…”

“So you’ve come,” she said softly, turning towards him. “Good, good. I’m glad you could make it so speedily.”

“Yes, your majesty…”

In the pale moonlight he could barely make out the Princesses features, but as she stepped out of the darkness and into the light, he saw her more clearly. Her face was worn and tired, with large bags under her bloodshot eyes.

“You’ll forgive me,” she said, her voice cracking. “I was lost in my thoughts. I have been under enormous strain since I learned of my sister’s departure yesterday morning. Her loss has been hard to bear…”

“Understandably, your majesty,” he said bowing his head.

“Please come in, Captain” Princess Celestia said, moving to her bed.

“As you wish,” he said, removing his helmet, trying to keep his stance steady. “Did you receive my message?”

“I did,” the Princess said nodding. “You’ve come with her?”

“Yes, we had her looked over and prepared beforehand. She’s in your throne-room now – ready for viewing.”

Celestia nodded as she turned back towards the window and gazed into the night. “You attached some urgency in your last letter. You said there was something you wished to discuss with me?”

Night Storm clenched the grounds, his hooves beginning to shake. “Yes, your majesty,” he said.

“Please, speak freely then. I wish to hear.”

“Well, I...” Night Storm writhed and wrestled as he bore his teeth together.

Celestia slowly turned back to him. “What's wrong, Storm? Are you afraid? Why are you shaking?”

“No, it’s I…” he closed his eyes. “I’ve come to offer my resignation from the Guard.”

Princess Celestia piqued her eyebrow. “Why?

“I have failed in my duties to your sister,” he gazed down at his hooves, his voice low and deliberate. “I was entrusted with her safety and well-being and now she is gone. Her death was under my command. I, alone, am responsible. That is why I now stand before your majesty. I believe my resignation is only fitting, considering all that’s happened. I feel I am no longer worthy to be a part of the guard...”

Princess Celestia moved towards Night Storm, who clenched his eyes shut as tears flowed down his cheeks, no longer able to conceal his grief. He wept as the Princess laid her hoof on his shoulder.

“I am sorry,” he said through broken sobs. “But had I been more diligent, this might have never happened.”

“Nonsense,” Celestia breathed. “There’s nothing you could have done to have prevented this. It was a natural death and you were not responsible for it.”

“Forgive me,” he said regaining his composure, “I don’t mean to act this way, but I cannot hide my despair. I pledged my life to your sister and…”

“You did your duty – and that’s all that matters.”

He wiped away his tears and looked up into the Princesses’ eyes. “I’m sorry, I just...”

“No need to say anything,” she said silencing him. “I know how you must feel.”

“It’s unprofessional, is all,” he said meekly. “And I no longer see how I could be of anymore service to your majesty.”

“Night Storm, I have known you since you were apprenticed as a page in my household. And in that time, I have seen as you grown from a curious boy in my service into a brave and honorable colt. I have always had faith in your abilities, and I still do. You are the epitome of what every guard should strive to be. You have demonstrated your devotion to your duty and our household, time and time again. And I am grateful, as your Princess, that I have had the pleasure of knowing you.

“In regards to my sister, you have only ever done what was expected of you. There is no dishonor in your conduct and you have nothing to feel guilty for. And I believe that myself, and all Equestria, would be bearing a great loss if you were to leave the Guard.”

For a moment after Celestia spoke, he said nothing. He hung his head low, shaking it back and forth a few times, before standing upright to attention. “My Princess flatters me with her kind words…”

“Sincerity is the sweetest form of flattery,” she said, smiling softly. “Do you still wish to resign?”

“No, I…I will carry on,” he said resolutely. “In what way can I best serve my Princess?”

“Spoken like a true soldier.”

“I am at your command, your majesty.”

Celestia said nothing as she looked on at the guard. After a moment, she spoke softly: “Your touching display of selflessness has moved me. Such loyalty should not go unrewarded. Hand me your sword and kneel.”

“P-princess?” he sputtered awkwardly.

“You heard correctly. Hand me your sword.”

Night Storm hesitated at first, but then promptly unsheathed his sword and knelt before his Princess.

The blade glistened in the moonlight as the Princess held it aloft and began to speak. “Do you, Night Storm, pledge always to tell the truth, to be brave in the face of adversary, to always be charitable and help those in need, to be loyal to your country, and to protect your Princess, even unto death?”

“I do,” he said softly.

“Then, by the authority vested in me as Guardian of this Kingdom,” she tapped the sword on his shoulders. “I dub thee Sir Night Storm, Solar Knight. Arise.”

He did so, and looked into his Princesses’ eyes. “From this day forward,” she continued, “because of your service, you shall be my personal bodyguard.”

“Princess…” he said, recoiling, “this honor is more than I deserve.”

“Honor is the reward of virtue,” she said, handing his sword back to him. “Now come, escort me to my throne-room, I wish to go see my sister...”

~

Spike slowly paced about under the open terrace of the Canterlot train station. A strong wind blew through the air, shaking the trees as the rain came down. On the platform, the ponies sat idly on the benches, smoking cigarettes and reading newspapers as they waited for the express.

Spike looked up at the large, metal clock that stood suspended by a wooden beam near the end of the platform. It was five minutes to nine – nearly an hour after the train was supposed to arrive.

The baby dragon sighed as he sat on a bench next to an elderly couple who sat doing a word puzzle and tried to keep his mind occupied. He reclined on the wooden bench, looking down the tracks, as he did so many times before, to see if the train was coming, only to greeted by the still silence of the night.

“Where are you guys?” he wondered aloud.

He closed his eyes and listened to the patter of the rain as it echoed off the steel roof above, letting his mind wander as he let the warm embrace of sleep take him. He was soon whisked away into the realm of his fantasies, perfectly at peace as he laid his arms over his chest.

Moments later, he was awoken from his slumber by the shriek of the engine’s whistle as the train lumbered into the station. Spike wiped his eyes as the train came to a halt. The station instantly came alive as ponies began disembarking from their coaches.

Spike peered through the crowd, trying to his friends. He searched faces, looking for recognizable features among the great mass of ponies moving back and forth. Having no success, he began moving the bustle until he heard a familiar voice: “The weather out here is dreadful!”

He recognized the posh demeanor immediately. “Rarity!” he called out, searching for her.

“Spike?”

He pushed his way through the throngs to find his companions gathered at the end of the platform.

“Hey you guys!” he called out. “Long time no see.”

“Spike!” they all responded.

“Well I'll be,” Applejack said, “It is him.”

“It's so good to see you again, darling,” Rarity said, flashing a demur smile.

He looked at his crush standing under the gas lantern, her appearance just as compelling as ever. “It’s good to see you too, Rarity,” he said, blushing slightly.

“Sorry it took so long, partner,” Applejack continued. “We got delayed at a cross-over on the way here. They like never got that cow off the tracks.”

“Well, at least you're here now,” he said smiling. Spike noticed, though, that were an extra pair of legs behind Applejack's.

“Uh, Applejack, who's that?”

“Oh, my sister,” she said, moving aside to show Apple Bloom, bundled beneath a blanket.

“Hiya, Spike,” Apple Bloom said.

Spike waved. “Hey, Apple Bloom.”

“She wanted to tag along at the last minute,” Applejack continued. “So, here we are.”

“I can't believe I'm actually here in Canterlot!” Apple Bloom said, bouncing around happily.

“Stop, sis,” Applejack chastised her.

“What?” Apple Bloom sulked.

“You're acting like you've never been here before!”

“This is only my second time...” Apple Bloom mumbled.

“Oh, no worries, I know how it goes,” Spike said. “This place is pretty exciting.”

“Hey Spike, have you seen Twilight around?” Rainbow Dash asked, scanning through the crowd.

Spike shook his head. “Twilight's been really busy managing everything, so she sent me here instead.”

“Has everything been alright? With the Princess, I mean...” Fluttershy asked meekly.

Spike shrugged. “It’s the same old, same old, with me, at least. I don’t know about Princess Celestia though. I've not seen her since yesterday.”

“Poor dear,” Fluttershy replied. “She must be absolutely devastated.”

Spike smiled softly, happy to see Fluttershy was the selfless pony she had always been – still putting the needs of others before her own.

“I don't know...” Spike said. “Twilight's been keeping me busy. I haven't had a lot of time to ask questions.”

Rarity nodded. “It's nice, at least, that she sent you.”

“Yeah,” Apple Bloom said, shivering. “Can we go now? It's freezing out here.”

“Sure,” Spike said. “The carriages are waiting in front.”

Spike lead way through the crowd, the six ponies following behind him until they reached the other end of open air station, where three sets of royal carriages sat idling in front. The friends loaded their things and climbed aboard.

As they were about to leave, Rarity peered out the window to see Spike idling on the platform. “Aren't you coming, darling?”

“No, there's no room,” he said waving. “I'll catch the next one.”

“Nonsense,” she said smiling, “Look, here, you can sit on my lap?”

Spike blinked, unsure of how to respond. “You sure you don’t mind me on your lap?” he questioned, making sure what he heard was indeed correct.

“Not at all, darling. I don't want you catching a cold standing out in the weather like this.”

“Yeah, Spike,” Applejack said. “Apple Bloom here's sitting on mine.”

“Come and join us, darling,” Rarity said.

Spike thought about it a moment, pondering.

“Of course,” Rarity said, “If you don't want to...”

He didn't have to be asked twice.

“Well okay, if you say so.”

He eagerly climbed up the steps into the wagon, taking his place on the lap of the fashionista. He rested his head on her shoulder, feeling perfectly content listening to the faint palpitation of Rarity's heart as the carriages sped into the night.

~

In the palace, Twilight hurried down the hall leading to the throne room. She brushed past the two guards who stood at attention at the open door and made her way inside, only to be stopped by the presence of Princess Celestia, who stood in the gallery looking over the arrangements above the canopy, where her sister lay in state.

“Oh Princess,” Twilight said, “I didn't expect you here.”

She noticed that at Celestia's side was the Lunar Guard she had seen from her and the Princesses' trip. She eyed him, suspicious of his presence.

“Oh Twilight, there’s no need to worry. I was just looking it over myself. You've done such a magnificent job with all of this. I thank you.”

“Well...thank you, Princess,” Twilight said blushing a bit. “I tried to find flowers that were in season. I was afraid I'd have to settle for something less than ideal, but I managed to find the perfect set at the last minute – and a discount!”

“Your enthusiasm is commendable,” Princess Celestia said. “Twilight, you remember Night Storm.”

“Yes,” Twilight turned towards him. “It's good to see you again, Captain,” she said, bowing. “I regret we couldn't have met again under happier circumstances.”

The Captain nodded; his face emotionless as he stood with his hooves by his side.

“Twilight, I just knighted Night Storm. He is my personal bodyguard now.”

“Congratulations on your promotion, Sir Storm,” she said, emphasizing his new title. “If your previous conduct is any indication of your abilities, than I'm sure the Princess has made a wise decision making you her bodyguard.”

“Thank you, Princess,” he said. “I will try to carry out my duty as well as I am able.”

“I'm sure he'll perform admirably,” Twilight said, smiling.

Celestia smiled as she turned back to the altar which bore her sister's body.

The Princess of the Night was clothed in a magnificent blue dress, surrounded by a huge array of flowers on either side. She looked peaceful laying there with her hooves resting on her chest, and her eyes closed – as if sleeping.

Celestia was silent as she stood over her sister, her mind wandering back over those many centuries they had shared together.

“You really did an excellent job, Twilight. I can't find anything about it I don't like.”

“Seems I have an eye for design,” Twilight replied, smiling. “Something I picked up from Rarity, no doubt.”

“Speaking of, when will your friends be here?”

Twilight startled, trying to recall from memory. “I sent out the invitations yesterday, with tickets for the express this morning. They should have already arrived already.”

“Strange...” Celestia said.

At that moment, Spike ran through the door. “Twilight! Twilight!”

“Speak of the devil...” Twilight muttered.

“Oh!” Spike recoiled when he saw Princess Celestia on the other end of the room. “I'm sorry, Princess. I didn't know you were here, or I wouldn't have come in so abruptly.”

“It's quite alright,” Celestia said.

Twilight sighed. “Are our friends here?”

“Yes,” Spike nodded. “They're waiting in the main foyer.”

“Excellent,” Princes Celestia said. “I'll go and address them, then.”

“Now? But my brother hasn't arrived yet, Princess,” Twilight said.

“Actually,” Spike replied, “he and Cadance just got here.”

“Then everypony is accounted for,” Princess Celestia said, walking past them towards the door. “Coming Twilight?”

“Yes, Princess.”

Twilight motioned to Spike who followed her as they trailed a little ways behind the Princess on their way to the main foyer.

“What took them so long, Spike?” Twilight whispered, slightly annoyed.

“Applejack said their train got held up.”

“By what?” Twilight seethed.

“A cow, apparently,” Spike shrugged. “What's wrong with you, Twilight? Why so angry?”

“Nothing,” she said, waving her hoof. “Just stressed out.”

“You sure? You've been acting really strange lately.”

“I'm sure, Spike,” she replied. “Once the funeral is over, everything will be different.”

“Alright then,” Spike replied.

When they reached the foyer, their friends were waiting for them.

“Twilight!” Applejack exclaimed as they all rushed into a group embrace. “It's so good to see you again, sugar-cube.”

“Yes, darling, it really is,” Rarity said.

“It's so good to see all again,” Twilight replied, smiling.

At that moment Shining Armor walked in, his wife by his side. “Twiley...” he said, coolly.

Twilight's immediately sat up at the familiar voice.

“I hope we haven't missed anything,” Cadance said.

“Not at all,” Twilight said trotting up to them. “You arrived at the right time.”

“Good,” Cadance said as she embraced Twilight. “I thought we might have been late. My husband here sometimes forgets things.

Shining groaned.

“He is forgetful,” Twilight said, giggling slightly.

“Hey!” Shining exclaimed.

“Don't be so modest brother – you were never that good with remembering things.”

Shining gave his sister an estranged look as she embraced his wife. “So nice to see you again, Twilight,” Cadance said smiling.

“Likewise! It'd do our dance, but I don't think now would be appropriate,” Twilight said, with more than a hint if disappointment in her voice.

“We can do it some other time,” Cadance replied. “For now, let's hear what Auntie has to say.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash said, “what's been going on Princess?”

“A good question,” Princess Celestia said, moving towards them. “Very well, I shall answer all. As you all know from the letters that I had Twilight send out to you, my sister is indeed dead. From what I understand, and from what Night Storm has told, she succumbed to her illness in her sleep.

“Her passing has been most unexpected, especially for me, but I have no reason to suspect that her death was anything but natural. That being said, I have made all the preparations ready for her funeral, which will be held tomorrow morning at eight.”

“So...” Pinkie Pie, said rubbing her chin, “Who will take over as Princess of the Night?”

“Yeah, that's what I've been wanting to know that, too,” Applejack said.

“Me three,” Rainbow Dash added.

Yes Auntie, who will take over?” Cadance asked.

“I'm very glad you asked,” Celestia said. “As I have already explained to Twilight, this will not be easy consensus to come to.”

“What do you mean, your majesty?” Rarity asked. “Surely there must be somepony...”

“There are many candidates on my side,” Celestia continued, “but none who I think are presently suited or capable of being Princess of the Night.”

“What about Twilight? She's more than capable!” Rainbow said.

Twilight looked down. “No, Rainbow, I...”

“I have already offered the opportunity to Twilight,” Celestia said.

“And?”

“I turned it down,” Twilight said softly.

“Why would you do that, Twi?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah” Rainbow Dash said, “Isn't it something you want?”

Twilight shook her head. “It's just not something I feel worthy of accepting.”

“Are you sure, darling?” Rarity asked. “I mean, you do have magical capability for it. It would be a shame for you to pass it up.”

“Well,” Twilight said, “I don't know...Do you think I should Princess?”

“That is up for you to decide, Twilight,” Princess Celestia said.

“I'd have to think about it...” Twilight said. “I didn't want to take it at first, but now...I'm not so sure.”

“I'll give you until tomorrow to decide,” Princess Celestia replied. “You can announce your decision at the funeral.”

“And if I still refuse?” Twilight asked.

“The post must be filled,” Celestia said. “I cannot go on maintaining the Night and Day both – it's just too much. I will have to find another.”

Twilight nodded. “Then I will consider it, Princess.”

“Very well, Twilight,” Princess Celestia said. “The Funeral will be held at eight, as I have said before, so I expect everypony to be read for the procession by seven. Are we all clear?”

“Clear,” everyone replied.

“Good,” she said, “That is all.”

As Celestia started to walk away, Twilight approached her friends.

“I'm sorry I can't catch up with you more, my friends, but I still have a lot of things to do.”

“We understand, sugar-cube,” Applejack said. “You do what you need to do. We'll be alright, won't we girls?”

They all nodded in agreement.

Twilight smiled. “You girls are the best friends in the world,” she said as she embraced them.

“Eh, don't sweat it, egghead,” Rainbow said. “What are friends for?”

“But I don't know what I'd do with you all,” Twilight said. “Thanks for being there for me. Now, if you'll excuse me,” she clapped her hooves together, summoning her loyal assistant. “I'll let Spike show you to your rooms. I hope you all sleep well, and I will see tomorrow morning.”

They all wished their Princess goodnight in some fashion and followed Spike down the corridors to the guest apartments, near the servant's quarters.

It was then that Twilight turned her attention towards Cadance, who was still standing in the foyer, but without Shining.

“Hey, where is my brother?”
~

In Twilight's room, Shining rummaged through her dresser cabinet. “Where does she keep it?” he wondered aloud. He pulled open the bottom drawer to reveal a black bottle of sherry. “Bingo!”

He took the bottle and pulled the cork off, taking one of the wine glasses that lay beside it in the drawer, and filled it up.

“And what do you think you're doing?” he heard his sister call from the doorway.

“I need a drink,” he said, not bother to turn towards her.

“So you just waltz into my room help yourself to my vintage?”

“Why not?” he said, taking a swig. “Sharing is caring, right?”

“Because brother,” she said, closing the door behind her, “I need you to keep your wits about you.”

“I'm fine,” he said, sipping on it.

“Look, Shining,” she said, her voice rising slightly. “Don't mess this up – not now. I've been playing my part too well to have it given away by you in a drunken stupor. You saw what I had to do down there to convince them of my good intentions.”

“And they don't suspect a thing,” he said, smiling. “I must hand it to you – you're quite a good actress, Twily. How did you ever learn to deceive ponies so easily?

“Practice makes perfect, brother. I've been playing the part with those fools for nearly two years now. It comes almost as second nature now to be the sweet, studious librarian, who's modest to a fault and slavishly devoted to her Princess.”

“A little too devoted, sometimes, if you ask me,” he said, taking another swig. “And what was that whole thing about with Cadance anyway?”

“Nothing personal brother, but you are forgetful.”

Shining groaned. “Whatever,” he said sipping on his glass. “Why are we doing this again?”

“Doing what?” Twilight said, moving closer to him.

“This,” he said, waving his hoof in the air. “This whole thing. What does it accomplish?”

“You're not serious...please tell me you're not serious.”

“I am serious,” he said sternly. “Why?”

“Do you really need an explanation?”

“I would like one, yes,” Shining said.

“Power, brother, power! Why settle for anything less when you can have it all? How else would we be here if not for our own ambition? Now we're days away from becoming masters of all Equestria. Don't tell me you've suddenly lost the heart for it!”

“It doesn't seem right...” Shining said, shaking his head.

Twilight sighed. “What's suddenly brought this about?”

“I don't know,” he said. “I just...”

“Not feeling up to it anymore?”

“No, just...” he shook his head. “Does Cadance have to die?”

“Oh, I see,” Twilight said. “Now I understand. She's shown you some attention, and now you're having second thoughts about it.”

“It's not that...”

“What is it, then?” Twilight snapped.

“She doesn't need to die. We can take over Equestria and I can file a divorce. Then we can send her back to the Crystal Empire...”

“No! She cannot be allowed to live! By rights, if she didn't already have her own kingdom, she would be the heir-apparent right now to Luna, instead of me. If she is allowed to live, our legitimacy will constantly be in question. And then there's always the possibility she might launch and invasion in order to usurp us from the throne.”

“That doesn't sound like Cadance...”

“Still, best not to take that chance.”

“Does she being your former foal-sitter mean nothing to you?”

“My relationship with her doesn't enter into, brother. This isn't about her anyways, it's about us,” she said, moving closer to him.

He sighed. “I still don't know...”

She held her brother, looking into his eyes. “Who loves you more, Shining, me or her?”

“You do,” he replied, gazing back.

“Would I ever betray you?”

“No,” he said. “We’ve always been loyal to one another.”

“That’s right,” she said nestling him. “Stay true to our cause, Shining. Remember – family before anything else.”

Shining nodded as he finished off the sherry, laying the bottle as he joined his sister on the bed.

“I know it’s going to be hard for you, brother,” she said, rubbing his mane, “but you mustn't let that stop you from fulfilling the destiny which we have worked so hard to achieve.”

“Is this really our destiny?” he said, reclining his head on his sister's lap.

“Of course, Shining,” she said, kissing him softly. "How could it have ever been in doubt?"

He groaned as he stretched his arms. “Are you going to accept Celestia's offer to Princess of the Night?”

“Perhaps,” she said.

“What do you mean perhaps?”

“I haven't made up my mind, honestly,” she said, shrugging. “It matters little anyways. It's mine – if not now, then later.”

“But just how are you going to deal with the Princess?”

“You leave that to me,” she said, getting up. “It won't be long now, I assure you. We just have to wait for the ideal moment...”