• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 2,994 Views, 270 Comments

The Melody of the Heart - Star Origin



Life can be ever so cruel. Over the course of one night, a pony who had everything she could have asked for loses it all. What did she do for such ill fate to befall her? More importantly, how will she cope with her loss?

  • ...
13
 270
 2,994

The Caring Touch

Melody sat in her chair with one eye glancing at Coral while the other darted off to watch the scribbles on the sheet that idly sat on her desk. One intake of air later, she released a heavy sigh, pulled herself upward and reclined in her seat. She ran her hooves through her mane and stared back at the front of the class and slumped her head back on the desk once she saw that Coral was still writing on the board.

With the whirlwind of questions running amok in her mind, the filly became oblivious to the cares of the world. Her ears swiveled and perked up on her head, but her head remained glued to the desk. The sensation of something grazing her ear and mane sprung her mind back to awareness, and she blinked, lifting her chin in confusion.

With her attention piqued, Melody, looked to her right, then her left and found Cherry glancing back at her with big eyes, a hoof gesturing the front of the class. Melody followed that hoof and eventually met with Coral’s frowning expression.

As the mare’s sporadic tapping filled the silence of the room, the gears in Melody’s brain slowly began to turn, and she looked at the sheet below her chin and then looked back up, her ears drooping as realization dawned upon her. The snickers and giggles from her classmates filled her ears, and she shrunk in her seat, looking back at Coral with wide eyes. She pursed her lips in a nervous smile long enough for a low-pitched whine to hiss its way through her teeth. “What were you saying, Miss Charm?”

By Celestia, she hated having to refer to her mother like that. It left a bad taste in her mouth to call Coral in such a way.

Melody’s eyes slowly drifted to see a few mathematical equations written all over the chalkboard. Math, her least favorite subject. Perfect. She groaned as she contemplated the answers to the few equations she knew about and those that completely dumbfounded her. The ratio quickly leaned toward the latter.

Coral sighed wearily. “I was asking if you could come and solve these equations for the class.”

With an audible gulp, Melody straightened her gaze onto Coral again and hesitatingly shook her head. She heard snickers come in from some of her classmates and rolled her eyes in response, barely managing to choke a scoff. She then returned to her scribbles, flicking one ear up as she set her eyes on the various nonsensical drawings that adorned the loose leaf sheet.

Melody raised a brow and glanced at Coral when she heard the mare hum to herself. Coral stared at the list of names sitting on her desk before calling, “Raine Moon, might you be able to solve these equations?”

Melody snapped her head back abruptly to follow Coral’s gaze, her mane grazing the tip of Sunshine’s nose as it whipped through the air. Her eyes latched on Raine Moon just in time see her close the book she was reading. According to the cover, it looked like it was a work of fiction unrelated to the class, although Melody had to admit she had never seen that book before.

For a moment, Melody thought that Raine would tell Coral that she couldn’t answer all of those equations on her own, but to her surprise, Raine got up from her chair and headed to the chalkboard. She picked a chalk in her mouth and looked at the board again, flaring her wings to her side and pushing herself upward. In mere moments, the filly had finished all of those equations, and the class filled with silence.

Silence crept in the classroom, and every student kept their mouths shut until Raine earned a nod from Coral and she trotted back to her seat with a frown and a grumpy expression. It was almost like this intervention from Coral took Raine’s time away from her book.

Were Canterlot children all like that?

There were other ponies in the class that could have answered those just as easily, but Raine had done it without even paying attention to Coral. Either she did pay attention without showing it, or she was just that good. The classroom quickly burst in mutters and whispers. Some words reached Melody and, she guessed, Raine. Melody’s ears flicked up and twitched as every word she picked up mentioned Raine in all sorts of manners. Melody slowly turned around and saw that Raine was still absorbed by her book though there was an occasional twitch of her ears here and there. So she was paying attention after all. She was good!

Astonishment, envy, anger, hate, wonder, amazement. All these different emotions ruled the classroom and just trying to single them out threw Melody’s mind in a mess. She clutched a hoof to her temple and groaned.

Thankfully, the bell rang, and all her classmates rushed for the door once Coral concluded her lesson before lunch time. Melody sighed and stared at every pony that left the room, sometimes glancing to Raine, sometimes to Cherry. She opened the lid to her desk and reached for her lunchbox with a flick of her magic, sliding from her seat moments later, shooting a glance at Cherry and gesturing to Cherry with a beckon.

Cherry, however, stopped when she saw that Raine remained seated in her chair, her eyes still glued to her book. Cherry shook her head and turned on her hooves and slunk her way to the dark blue filly, tugging at Raine’s front leg and pulling her from of her chair.

“H-hey, what’s the big idea?”

“You’re not staying cooped up in here all day long. Come on, let’s hang out some while recess still lasts! I won’t take no for an answer.”

Pleas and protests escaped Raine, but Cherry ignored each of them. Hooking a hoof around Raine’s neck, Cherry offered a broad smile that quickly turned to a grin. The pegasus tried planting her hooves on the floor. That failed. She spread her wings and thrashed about. That ended in further failure with Cherry dragging an exhausted Raine out of the classroom.

Cherry Blossom was a mystery at times. Melody just stared and gaped, eventually shaking her head with a hoof clutched to her forehead. She exchanged looks with Coral and giggled when she saw that the crystal pony had an eyebrow raised, and a smile pursed up her lips. She sat down in her chair and chuckled. “Interesting choice of friends, Melody. Just don’t let the crazy in too much.”

Melody rolled her eyes and burst out giggling, following after Cherry and Raine. “Gotcha. I’ll be careful!”

----

“Oh, come on! What’s the worst that could happen?” Cherry stared incredulously at Melody while they walked towards the exit.

Melody looked back at Cherry with concerned eyes and shook her head, chasing the thoughts away. Maybe her friend was right. The worst that could happen is that Glimmer would start spreading rumors about Raine and just downright send students out to bully her for whatever enjoyment she may get out of it, but Melody tried to stay with her happy thoughts as Cherry suggested.

“Yeah, maybe you’re right,” Melody huffed. She reached for Cherry and pulled her into a hug. “Thanks.”

When they pushed the doors open, Melody’s eyes widened and rapidly narrowed into a glare. Huddled in a ball corner with a few colts and fillies gathered around her was Raine. She whimpered and clutched her hooves to her ears.

“Please. No more!” Raine’s voice cracked, and she crumbled in sobs, rubbing her hooves over her eyes and getting rid of the tears that ran through her fur.

“What’s the matter? The truth hurts too much?” a crystal earth pony said with a smug expression, towering over Raine.

With no thoughts put into the situation at all, Melody pounced from her spot and rammed the crystal pony with every ounce of strength she could muster. She let out a huff and dragged him along, rolling on the grass before Melody stood atop the pony, glaring into his surprised expression, baring and gritting her teeth.

Meanwhile, Cherry rushed to Raine’s side and sat by her side, wrapping her hooves around the pegasus. “It’s going to be alright. It’s over now,” Cherry hushed. She ran a hoof under Raine’s eyes and then looked up to see Melody still standing over that colt. “Don’t listen to them. They’re not worth it.”

Melody switched her attention to Raine and nodded to Cherry with a smile. The moment was quickly short-lived when she felt a pair of hooves press up against her chest and push her back. She fell backward with a squeak, but she wasted no time in getting back up, her horn ignited and her glare repositioned on the crystal pony.

That was also short-lived. Her leg sent jolts of pain up her spine, and she cringed, stumbling backward a bit, her legs wobbling under her. She’d gone too far. But she wasn’t done just yet.

The crystal pony leered at her with a smug expression, his lips twisting into a grin before her very eyes while he adopted a haughty stance, flicking his mane through the air. “Realizing you made a mistake, are you?”

Her, making a mistake? As if she’d ever feel sorry about attacking a no good pony like him. Melody arched an eyebrow and cocked her head back, hesitantly shaking her head while she still fought against the pain that swept through her muscles. Or maybe he was referring to her legs. He was assuming she was afraid of him now.

“Considering a teensy unicorn like me pulled you aside, I don’t buy your silly act of toughness,” Melody replied through her teeth, hissing shortly after.

He did not want to back down either, nor did he seem overly impressed by her retort. It wasn’t the wittiest of retorts, she had to admit, but it put her point across. If anything, he seemed to get more comfortable with every passing moment.

“Oh, please. As if I’d be afraid of a blank flank that’s obviously faking bravado. Polish your act before insinuating everypony is a fake like you.”

Oh, he was going to get it. Despite the pain, Melody stomped her right front leg on the grass. With all the training she’d gotten from Shining Armor, she could easily teach him a lesson or two about respect. She was going to teach him that he was messing with the wrong pony. She aimed her horn at him, sucking in a breath to sway the pain lingering through her aching body, and whipped her head through the air, sparks flying from her horn.

Enough!”

All focus vanished from Melody’s mind, and her unfinished spell leaped into the air, dissipating over her in a green smoke. She slowly turned her head to the left to see Proper Teaching approaching them with a scowl, his eyebrows raised in a frown while his every step resounded in unison with Melody’s heartbeat.

Around her, everypony froze in place. No movement was heard other than the principal’s hoofsteps. Melody’s ears fell flat on her mane when she made eye contact with him and felt the full force of his anger crash down on her.

“The two of you, come with me. Everypony else, go home. School’s over.”

Melody gave the colt a glare before she turned around, sighed and hung her head. Hopefully, things would go in her favor, right? She’d done nothing wrong. She was just defending her friend from a bully. He’d have to hear her out and give that colt his due punishment. She puffed her chest with that thought, pulling her head up high again, eyes facing forward.

----

Melody slumped down at the table, placing her lunchbox on the table. She dropped her chin on the table and heaved a sigh. Things certainly took a different turn than what she had initially believed. Her horn burned aglow and from the confines of her lunchbox came a daisy sandwich. She unwrapped it, advancing her snout ever closer to her lunch, filling her nostrils with the intricate mix of daisies coupled with bread.

A few nibbles here, a few more there; Melody sheepishly ate away at the defenseless sandwich by her lonesome, trying her best to shut all the influx of emotions coming at her like rampaging buffaloes. Dread suddenly crawled its way through her spine and before she knew it, there was a white earth pony at her side. In any other circumstances, she might have seen this one coming, but with the amount of focus she was exerting and her mood in general, she placed herself at the mercy of this white menace.

“Hey!”

Melody’s fur stood on end, and she jumped with a shriek loud enough for everypony in the vicinity to hear. All heads turned to her, and she looked around, blushing in return before she just slumped back on the table, not even glancing towards the other filly.

“Hey.”

“Ouch, what’s got you in a bad mood?” Cherry queried, giving Melody the long face, folding her legs on the table and leaning a tad closer.

“I got stuck with detention, and Clear Cut got away scot-free. I have every right to be in a bad mood!”

Cherry chuckled to herself and just nodded away, sliding a hoof to reach her lunchbox and pry it open and pull an apple out of it. One quick inspection of the fruit later, she sank her teeth into it and munched on the large chunk while smirking at her friend. “Calm down, there, Mel.”

Melody just raised an eyebrow and stared deeply into Cherry’s emerald eyes for several seconds before snorting and going back to nibbling on her sandwich. The earth pony’s response was a roll of her eyes and a scoff. “Would it hurt you to be likable when things don’t go your way? No, seriously. It’s annoying.”

Melody averted her gaze, pouting in response. “Sorry. It’s just really frustrating that I got painted as the villain while Clear Cut got nothing. Mom believes me, but she can’t overthrow the principal’s decision.” She dropped her head. “It’s so unfair!”

Cherry shrugged and took another bit in her apple, looking at Melody with an eyebrow raised. “Would you have felt better or worse if you had let him continue his bullying?”

And they were heading in that direction. Melody threw her eyebrows up and frowned a second later. “I would have felt horrible for leaving her all alone with him.” Melody stopped her train of thought for a moment, her mind drifting to the bullying Raine had been subjected to. After finishing her sandwich, she turned her head to meet with Cherry’s gaze and cocked her head back, if only a little. “By the way, do you know anything about the things he said to her?”

Cherry nodded. “Apparently, he and his friends ganged up on her, and he started calling her a freak because of her parents and because she’s well-taught and the sorts. She said he called her a nerd—“

“Oh, that litt—” Melody sprung from her seat and slammed her hooves on the table with enough force to warrant attention from everypony around once more though that much went over her head. “Sorry, Cherry. I didn’t mean to interrupt you. I can’t believe he’d say something like that!”

Cherry shook her head and smiled back at Melody, gesturing for her friend to sit back down as well with a nonchalant wave of her hoof. “No, you have every right to be angry. I was too when she told me what they told her. They also asked if she was going to turn into a freak like her parents when she grew up.”

Melody blinked and sucked in a breath. Her body began trembling. Her fur bristled with anger, and she spun around, slamming her lunchbox shut with her magic. The students that had been previously staring at her now averted their gazes or returned to their lunches.

Her eyes watered, and she yelped in pain when she felt teeth clamp down on her tail. She snapped her head back to see Cherry staring back at her intensely. “Let me go, Cherry!”

Cherry shook her head and kept her eyes locked within Melody’s. The unicorn whipped her mane aside with a huff. Cherry rolled her eyes and pulled Melody back, a cry escaping the unicorn’s lips once Cherry let go of her tail. She glowered at her friend and murmured, “I don’t know what you intend to do, but I know that glare. Melody, this isn’t worth the trouble you’ll put yourself into! You’re fighting a losing battle!”

Melody gasped and cocked her head back. How dare Cherry tell her that her efforts were in vain? She bit her lower lip and threw her head to the side again, puffing her cheeks. “You want me to abandon her to this kind of treatment? Cherry, this isn’t different than the teasing I had to go through because I’m a changeling!”

Cherry sighed and hung her head, pressing a hoof between her eyes. “No. You shouldn’t abandon her, but you don’t have to become a bully to help her!”

“What would you have me do, then!” Melody bellowed before the realization that she was surrounded by a small army of school ponies dawned on her. She broke into a gallop and lifted her head long enough to see that Raine had been standing there the whole time, tears brimming in her eyes and a soft smile twitching along the lines of her lips.

But Melody didn’t stop. She ran past Raine and made a sharp turn around the corner. Stupid Cherry! Why did she have to make so much sense? She whipped her head around, throwing the tears away from her eyes before her left hind leg finally abandoned her. She stumbled forward and shrieked in pain before her chin met with the floor, leaving Melody to whine all alone in the corridor.

She didn’t want to become a bully. She loathed the idea of having to put others through what she went through. But the mere thought of leaving somepony like Raine at the mercy of those school ponies turned her stomach upside down.

“M-Melody?”

No, no, no. Why did she follow her? She would have been much better off with Cherry than with her! Melody hesitantly glanced back to see Raine standing at a safe distance, staring at her with eyes full of concern. Raine gasped when she saw Melody’s tears. The disguised changeling bit her lip, gritting her teeth all the while

“Th-thank you… for what you said…” Melody never had to taste the air to feel that Raine was still wary of her, but she could also tell that the gratitude from her voice was real. It soothed her. She lit her horn and almost as if the air changed color, a seemingly green aura began swirling around Melody. Raine gasped and took a step back, her wings flaring to attention and her legs starting to tremble.

Melody shook her head and flashed a smile, leaving a sigh in its wake. She should have known it was a bad idea to feed in public. But she needed the magical energy and the emotional supplies, or else she wouldn’t be able to suppress the pain of her leg. Despite the belief she had that she could contain the pain of her leg, Melody could no longer deny that the pain was only increasing as the weeks passed.

How long would it be until that pain became unbearable? It was a question that haunted her mind day after day now. Consuming emotions had almost become an addiction at this point, and it was just used to suppress her pain rather than fuel her magic.

“Please, leave me alone,” Melody weakly begged as she began an attempt at getting up. Her left leg sent another jolt through her spine and fell to the floor again with a loud groan.

Melody’s eyes shot wide open. She felt the delicate embrace of a pegasus’ feathers on her back and jerked her head to the side to see Raine standing next to her, determination glittering in her eyes. Stutters were all that Melody could utter while she regained her footing with Raine’s help.

Her leg hurt. It hurt every second of it. She bit her lip again and closed her eyes, using every inch of strength that she had left to ignore the pain and stand up.

“W-why?” That was the question that burned in Melody’s mind. She knew that Raine was aware of her real form, and yet she was helping her nonetheless. It hardly made sense to Melody. She could smell the lingering fear sticking to Raine, but she also tasted the kindness and caring nature of the filly gradually fill the air, smothering Raine’s fear until there was but a fraction of it left.

“Well, you helped me twice already,” Raine replied as her lips spread into a smile, sliding her leg under Melody’s and helping her up progressively, ears twitching with every grunt that escaped the alabaster pony, “so I thought that maybe I could help you in return. That makes us even, right?”

“I guess we are,” Melody chuckled in return, cocking her head to the side and sticking her tongue out before her expression twisted in pain when she almost tripped again. An exasperated sigh shook her body before her eyes fell on her leg. She knew she had damage in that leg, but the increasing pain only enraged her further.

Part of her had wanted to remain passive to Raine’s attempt at cheering her up, but something about Raine’s goofy grin made any attempt at disagreeing with the filly impossible.

For some reason, she felt at ease around Raine. She could still feel some lingering fear around the pegasus, but it was smothered by her light-hearted spirit and mood. Suddenly, befriending Raine didn’t seem like a bad idea anymore.

Author's Note:

I can't excuse the tardiness of this chapter. I got down because some things happened, distractions happened, and I got sick on top of everything else.

I'm feeling much better now, minus a dry cough. I've got a draft at the outline for next chapter so I'll get to working with that one pretty soon hopefully.

Until then, toodles!