• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 2,992 Views, 270 Comments

The Melody of the Heart - Star Origin



Life can be ever so cruel. Over the course of one night, a pony who had everything she could have asked for loses it all. What did she do for such ill fate to befall her? More importantly, how will she cope with her loss?

  • ...
13
 270
 2,992

Prologue

The Melody of The Heart

Prologue

Written by Star Origin

Following the changeling invasion in Canterlot two weeks ago, the security around Canterlot had been heavily fortified. The Royal Guard even went as far as to recruit soldiers from the surrounding towns of Equestria. They were picky about who they chose, though, and mostly went after ponies that were already skilled at maintaining peace, such as nightclub bouncers or security guards.

Among those ponies was Star Blaze, a white-coated unicorn that used to be head of security at a laboratory located in Manehattan. He was never the best magician, and he was a bit messy, too. His orange mane was untidy, and strands of orange hair stuck to his fur after a day spent in Canterlot patrolling in search of any anomaly.

The only issue was that, if foals decided to pull a prank on him, he would technically have to give chase until he caught up with them. He usually managed to find the troublemakers, but after a while, the original trio had told other foals about him. His days since then were even more hectic than before.

His blue eyes stared absentmindedly at the landscape in front of him while waiting for the train that would take him back to Manehattan. The many bags under his eyes were proof enough that the last few nights he had hadn't exactly been the best of his life.

That aside, while his facial expression reeked of fatigue and depression, his musculature wasn’t all that bad. He doubted he would ever be qualified to star in some mature magazines sold across Equestria, but his physical attributes weren’t that bad when compared to some of the other ponies waiting for a train.

To be fair, he was built a lot more physically than most ponies around him. Of course, having been trained as a guard since he left high school had helped him a lot, and ever since the death of his parents when he was still in high school, he had needed to pick some jobs to keep himself alive and to pay his educational bills.

That alone had given him a strong and stable personality but also strengthened his social abilities in the sense that he needed to adapt to them to survive. Many other races thought that Equestria was a haven compared to the other kingdoms around the globe, but in fact, it was just as cruel economically to ponies as to anyone else. The only advantage ponies had over some others was that they had the princesses to keep wars and internal conflicts at bay.

Star Blaze’s gaze was slowly directed on the ground of the train station platform. The floor, made up of bricks like most of Canterlot, was colored with a monotonous white. It wouldn’t have been that bad if only the floor were like this, but the entire train station was built that way; all the walls were white, and in only two weeks, Star Blaze had already gotten annoyed by the monotony of the capital.

It was a majestic city in his opinion. The main complaint he had about Canterlot was that it was too monotonous for his tastes, and even after he had gotten used to Canterlot, the color scheme of the town still made him cringe a bit on the inside.

While the Star Blaze was lost in his thoughts, he had completely ignored the stallion that had just called him from afar. His ears had perked up, but he ignored them and resumed his train of thought. The other pony had to tap on Star’s shoulder to finally have his presence acknowledged.

Star Blaze jumped a bit and instinctively took a few steps backward. He looked up to find who or what had startled him. He was not a bit surprised when he saw a stallion with a golden coat and a dark blue mane. The pegasus in front of him snickered and put a hoof over his mouth in an attempt to remain respectful towards the white unicorn but failed.

“Oh, you should see the look on your face right now, Blazey!” the pegasus exclaimed through several bursts of laughter. “It’s priceless!”

Star Blaze snorted, glaring at his new companion. “Shut it, Flash. I’m not in the mood. I had to chase down kids again today, and I’m not exactly amused by how they constantly keep doing this every single day. Plus, my body feels sore, and I’m so tired right now. The last thing I need is an annoying pest shadowing me all the time.”

“Don’t be like that, Blazey,” Flash replied. The coldness contained in Star’s voice had managed to make the pegasus pout. “I was just kidding around.”

The unicorn continued to glare. “Not in the mood, Sentry. Unless you have a question of some importance, please leave me be for the moment.”

“I’ve always wondered what your cutie mark meant. Can you tell me exactly what it represents?” Flash Sentry asked with a grin on his lips.

“Why do you care?” Star replied emotionlessly.

“Isn’t it what friends normally ask to get to know their friends?

Star Blaze groaned at his reply and then let out a long sigh. He took a deep breath and said, “If you must know, I used to be good with fire magic before the death of my parents, and since then, I’ve been unable to summon my fire magic. According to the doctors, it could be due to a PTSD.

“I can’t be sure myself, but I do know I’ve lost the ability I used to have with fire magic, so this cutie mark isn’t accurate anymore.”

“Well, that’s no fun,” Flash said. “I would’ve liked to see you use some fire magic.”

“If I could use my old magic, you’d be the first one I’d test it on, believe me,” Star said with a grin and let out a snicker.

“Seriously?!” Flash let out in an overreacting manner as if he was hurt. “I thought I meant more to you than just a target!”

“Don’t worry, you’re not a regular target, friend. You’re a moving target, and I do love a moving target every once in a while.”

Jerk!”

Star Blaze shrugged and continued the conversation. They talked about this and that while Star waited for his train. They both still wore their Royal Guard attire, armor and all, but now that they were done with their day, they had taken off their helmets. The bulges in their saddlebags attested to that.

Soon enough, Star Blaze bid Flash Sentry goodbye as he saw his train enter the station. Star wasted no time in boarding the train once it had stopped at the platform and showing his ticket to the train conductor. Once he had been given the green light, he moved to his usual spot in the passenger wagon he boarded and peacefully sat down to look out the window and wait for the train to finish boarding and depart.

He was eager to return home. After all, who wouldn’t look forward to their only weekend off in the month? He could also count himself lucky they never asked him for night shifts on top of all the hours he already did weekly. Some guards didn’t have his luck. There would be a lot for him to catch up when he would arrive at Manehattan’s train station

----

Once the train had finally reached its destination, Star Blaze took his belongings and walked out onto the boarding platform of the Manehattan. He looked up at the clock in the station and saw the time. It was six in the evening. His eyes widened, and the realization hit him with full force.

He was late!

Without wasting a second, he bolted off, climbed the stairs, and ran as fast as his legs could carry him through the streets of Manehattan. The sole question he asked himself was why he had agreed to work late.

Ten minutes had passed before he reached his second destination, and Star Blaze was heavily panting. His throat was sore from all the running he had done, and trails of sweat stained his fur around his face. He took a few minutes to calm himself and to regain his stature before he entered the building in front of him: The Manehattan Elementary School.

The white stallion walked to the secretariat and stood at the front desk. The secretary, a red unicorn with an orange mane, never raised her head, but her ears perked up upon hearing the sound of Star’s hooves on the ceramic floor. The clang his armor produced each time he took a step didn’t lend itself to silence.

“Sorry, but whatever business you have right now will have to wait until tomorrow.”

“That’s not going to be an issue, ma’am. I just came here to pick up Melody,” Star replied with a warm smile, hoping he could get the mare’s attention.

As if on cue, the secretary looked up at Star Blaze with a surprised look on her face. “Thank goodness! I was beginning to wonder what I’d do with the poor thing. She was constantly saying that her brother would come and pick her up. Couldn’t you have asked your parents to pick her up instead?” Star’s gaze quickly dropped, and he heaved a heavy sigh, averting his eyes from the secretary. As if on cue, her pupils dilated, and she gasped, raising a hoof to cover her mouth. “Oh gosh, I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t have said that. I’m so sorry!”

Star just shook his head and managed to lift his head up and stare in the mare’s hazel eyes. Silence fell between them and both looked at each other, their eyes shuffling around the room in the hopes the other would break this pregnant silence.

Finally, Star shrugged, having regained his composure. “So, um, do you think I could take Melody home now?”

The mare followed with a nod of her own, and she got up from her chair in a flash. She grabbed the key and kicked her chair back in front of her desk.

With a small gesture of her hoof, the mare led Star Blaze to the back of her office while he followed close behind and quickly found a white filly with a green mane and tail asleep on a chair in a large room with a single round table. Probably the meeting room or something close to that, Star Blaze thought.

The stallion wasted no time in igniting his horn and grabbing the filly in his telekinetic hold. After he had made sure Melody was secured on his back and comfortable, the unicorn thanked the secretary, made his way out of the school, and began walking back home.

The road wasn’t long or complicated because, although he lived on the western outskirts whereas the elementary school was located to the east, there were few obstacles between the two, and besides, the streets were starting to empty as time went by them. When Star Blaze arrived home, the night was beginning to settle in, and the streets had emptied themselves as per usual.

He unlocked the door using the key he put in his saddlebags when he left for Canterlot in the morning. Once it was closed behind him, he flicked the lights open with his magic and walked upstairs with the filly still on his back. Despite the fact he constantly said it was just a typical house, Star Blaze couldn’t deny that mahogany cost a lot to buy.

His economic situation wasn’t the best with the house and when Melody was still just a foal, it was common for him to be left without any spending money after paying his bills. Nowadays, with the salary he earned, he was able to keep up with the taxes and all the other bills that needed to be taken care of, but he still considered himself far from rich.

Star switched on the lights upstairs and was welcomed by the green walls of the second floor. Only the main room of the second floor bore that color. Melody’s room had also been painted green, but for reasons other than the coloration or her mane and tail. Oddly enough, she requested for her bedroom to be painted green because of changelings.

Instead of being afraid of changelings and the rumors running around them since their failed invasion two weeks ago, Melody was a big fan of them. She had even called them “cute” and “awesome” in her class. Following that, they had summoned Star Blaze at the school to discuss her behavior and their family background to have a better understanding of the filly out of concern for her.

Despite that, Melody had asked her brother if they could paint her room green and make it changeling themed. Truly, Star Blaze was jealous of his sister’s innocence.

He tucked her in bed and headed to his room, ready to call it a night himself. The day had been rough on him, and all he wished for was a good night’s rest. He entered his room without turning the lights on and unfastened his armor’s straps with his magic. With that out of the way, he grabbed his armor and stored it inside of the dresser in the back of his room.

Once that was done, he headed over to where his bed was instinctively and found his way under the blankets. It did not take long for him to fall prey to slumber once he laid his head on his pillow.

----

The next morning, Star was roused from his sleep by the joyful laughter of his sister who was currently jumping all over his bed with the biggest of smiles on her face.

“Melody…?” Star asked while still half-asleep, his eyes not fully open yet. “What are you doing? I’m trying to sleep here.”

“You’ve had enough sleep for this morning!” Melody exclaimed defiantly. “You promised you’d come and play with me in the meadows of Neighagra Falls.”

“Augh. Give me a few minutes, and I’ll be out of bed, Melody.”

“Yay!” Melody’s happy shout alongside the hug she gave her brother made his heart melt.

Melody Swiftsong, or simply Melody, could barely keep her eagerness and joy to herself. Her jumps were ecstatic with anticipation, and she hummed a soft tune as she danced around the living room downstairs.

It was only after a cup of coffee that he had remembered the promise he made to his sister the week before. Now fully awake, Star began packing the necessary food for their trip to the Neighagra Falls and asked Melody if she had decided on what she wanted to eat for the day while they would be gone.

“I don’t mind having whatever it is you’re having, big bro!” Melody chimed playfully. Her golden eyes didn’t help Star’s case in finding her demeanor adorable. She just continued to jump around the living room as Star was preparing the last of their supplies.

Star Blaze made a mental list of what he was to bring while he looked that the content that lay inside the basket. There were two daisy sandwiches, a few apples, and two bottles of fresh apple juice still sealed tight along with some cheese. The stallion closed the lid of the basket when he confirmed he had everything he wanted to bring.

He ignited his horn, grabbed the basket’s handle with his telekinetic hold and moved it behind his head to gently place it on his back. After that was done, the stallion grabbed two pieces of rope and steadied the basket on his back so it wouldn’t fall when making his way to the Neighagra Falls.

“Melody!” The stallion called out to be sure the filly could hear him. She had that nasty habit of being oblivious to everypony around her once excited.

“Yes?” Melody replied back in a sweet chime. A few seconds later, her head appeared in the framing of the hallway leading to the front door. “Are we ready to go now?”

“Indeed, we are, little one,” Star Blaze told her with a soft smile.

“Yay! We’re going on an adventure!” The little filly ran through the hallway and stopped right next to her brother before giving him another grin.

That filly loves to make my heart melt, Star thought as he opened the door.