• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 3,553 Views, 33 Comments

Shadow Spike's Nightmare Night - DARKPHANTOM13



On his way from visiting Zecora he finds a black gem that he decides to eat and grants him the power over shadows and darkness. Pranks and chaos incuses as he uses his new found power's to have some fun on Nightmare Night.

  • ...
9
 33
 3,553

The Stone

Spike was making his way home from Zecora's from dropping off some books Zercora wanted to borrow. While Spike would be annoyed having to carry a bunch of heavy books into Everfree he was in a really good. That night was Nightmare Night. It the time to stay up a night for scares, have fun, and most important of all, free candy. His was snapped out of his thoughts of candy when a manticore burst out of some bushes. In a dangerous situation a being's fight or flight kicks in. Spike tries the first option with a fire ball to the manticore's face. While it stunned the beast it ticked it off more than actually hurting it. Seeing how option two didn't work he decided to use plan B.

Run like there's no tomorrow.

Sadly he was so busy staying ahead of the angry hybrid that he wasn't paying attention to where he was going and ended up veering off the path. He made his through the forest jumping over bushes and ducking under low hanging branches all the while running on all fours. He continued to run into an unfamiliar part of the forest. As turned to see that he lost the beast he accidently fell into a hole into the ground. The young drake hits his head few times before he landed on his face and he blanked out.

-----1 Hour Later-----

Spike woke up with a groan and a killer headache. It felt like he got trampled by a stampede. As peeled his face off the ground and tried to get the taste dirt out his mouth he looks around to see where he was. He was at the bottom of the hole and in front of him was a tunnel that was about his size. He looked up from where he came and was it was long and winding tunnel back the surface. He couldn't even see where it reached the end and opens to the surface. Spike decided to follow the easy path for the moment and hopefully it will lead to the outside world. He walked and walked for about what seemed to be an hour. All the while he noticed that the tunnel was getting bigger little by little the further he went in.

He soon saw a light at the end of the tunnel and started running towards it. When he gets there he sees that it wasn't the way out. It actually led to a large chamber. The floor, walls, and ceiling was made up of stone slabs. In the center of the chamber was a pedestal. On that pedestal was a pitch black diamond. The diamond, even though it was pure black, gave off a glow the lite the room. He felt drawn to it, by both its glow and his empty stomach. He grabs the gemstone and feels something coming from it. Something that he likes. So he decided to do the first thing that came to his mind.

Eat it.

In one bite Spike ate the thing whole, the taste unlike anything he ate before. Even better than that fire ruby he ate when he was little. Then he felt something surge throughout his body. For a split second his body was in pain but it faded away, it was replaced by a rush of energy. Feeling full and energize the young dragon looks around again and see another tunnel on the other side of the chamber. He followed the tunnel until he finally was outside. Sadly the manticore from earlier is waiting for him.

The beast pounce him. Spike raised his arm on instinct hoping to stop the beast when something unexpected happened. An aura of darkness gathered around the drake's arm and shots out in the form of a large arm and claw. Grabbing the manticore midflight and slamming it against a tree. After doing so the arm dissipates like mist, the aura still on his arm as Spike looks at it in surprise and curiosity. The manticore managed to get back up and charged at Spike. Just as the blow was about to connect Spike sunk to the floor and disappeared. As the beast looked for his prey he didn't notice a shadow zip under him and into the forest. Once the shadow is in a clearing it stay in one spot for a few seconds, than bunch of random movements, and then stops again. This continued for five minutes until a very confused Spike rise from the shadow.

This all came to a complete surprise. Now he had shadow powers but how did he get them. Than he suddenly remembers the gemstone he ate. It must have been the thing responsible for his powers. At first he was worried about turning into something like Nightmare Moon or King Sombra. Though he didn't feel any different from how he usually feels. He decided to give his new powers a quick test. He create the dark aura around his arm tries to make the shadow claw again. It took a moment to focus but he was able to do so without any problems and didn't feel any different. After he makes the aura disappear he thought to himself what he should do with his new powers,

Take over the world? 'Nah.' he thought to himself. 'Too much effort and no way can I sit around all day signing things and listen to everyone complaining all the time.'

Become a superhero or something? 'Hmm...Maybe another day.'

Prank and or scare everypony during Nightmare Night? A mischievous smirk appeared on his face as he ringed his hands like a villain. 'Oh there's an idea.' With that in mind he stayed to the clear so he can get a feel for his new powers. While doing so new ideas for his powers were popping up by the second. All the while Spike couldn't help but think that this was going to be the best Nightmare Night ever.

Author's Note:

This is basically a little something for Halloween coming up. I might do something base off of this later but no promises. Right now I'm more or less making it up as I go. I'll add tags as I go.