• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 15,570 Views, 3,181 Comments

The Dragon and the Force - FenrisianBrony



Spike disappears from Equestria, and ends up surrounded by Jedi

  • ...
65
 3,181
 15,570

PreviousChapters Next
Revan

“What, are you, doing here?” Spike growled, taking a step forward as he slowly drew his Lightsabers, holding them tightly. If they had been made of any other material, he was sure he would have crushed them by now.

“I could ask you the same question,” Atris replied, eyeing Spike’s Lightsabers warily. “And with so many of the order with you. Luckily for us, one of your number knows that the council is correct in this.”

“A traitor,” Spike spat, before turning to face the assembled Jedi. “We’ll come on then, step out and take a bow. You already sold us out.”

Slowly, a Jedi from the edge of the group took a step out, lowering their hood and looking at Spike, her sad eyes swimming with tears, before she went and stood beside Atris. Slowly, her eyes travelled to Tarhal, before looking down at her feet, no longer able to meet the gaze of her two friends.

“Corinna?” Spike asked, his voice softening as his friend looked back at him. “Why?

Before she could answer, Atris silenced her, taking another step forward.

“This rebellion against the council has gone on far too long!” Atris shouted, razing her voice so that all of the Revanchists could hear. “It disbands today, one way or another! You will either return to the temple as Jedi, or leave here with your titles stripped from you!”

“You would rid the order of over three hundred of its Knights and Padawans? I don’t think so,” Revan shook his head, before looking down at the ground and crouching down, digging with his hands. Atris however didn’t seem to notice or care.

“Stand by me if you will return to Coruscant, otherwise, lay down your Lightsabers.”

“And if we don’t?” Malak asked, taking a step forward to stand beside Spike.

“We will be forced to detain you,” Zule said simply, taking a step out from behind Atris and standing beside his sister. Spike could almost hear the sound of his heart breaking once more as he looked at the man, the passion that blazed in his eyes. He cared as much about stopping the Revanchists as Spike and Revan did about keeping them going, and that was worrying. Maybe Corinna wasn’t solely to blame for selling the council out after all.

“You think you could?” Meetra asked, stepping forward. “You think you have enough men to match this many Jedi?”

“We do not need more men,” Atris said simply. “The fleet in orbit will support the council.”

“Are you sure about that?” Spike asked. “Are you sure the Republic would support the Jedi who want to run away, rather than those who want to fight?”

“Don’t try it Spike, the…” Zule began, but Spike was undeterred, turning to face the Revanchists.

“And you?! Who will you support?!”

“Revan!” Came the almost unanimous reply.

“So Atris, Zule, is this how it’s going to be?” Spike asked, turning back to the Jedi Master.

“So be it,” Atris snarled, before drawing her Lightsaber. “By the power invested in me by the Jedi High Council, I hereby declare all those who follow Revan…”

Spike didn’t hear the rest of what Atris was saying, his vision going white as he felt himself being dragged from his body by the force.

***

Mandalorians soared across the planet on small jetpacks, their weapons harrying the retreating Cathar species far below them. Occasionally, lances of blaster fire shot upwards, even felling a few of the Mandalorians, but it was a one sided battle, and soon the fireing had stopped, the Cathar laying down their weapons in surrender.

The Mandalorians quickly realised they had broken their enemy, landing on the planet’s surface and brandishing their weapons, making sure that none of the Cathar made a bid for their own blasters. Slowly, a man walked forward, his bright yellow armour being what Spike assumed to be the first example of Neo-Crusader armour, considering the fact that none of the other Mandalorians had the new armour on.

“This is all that remains of the mighty Cathar warriors?” He asked, looking around the thousand or so Cathar. “We were told you were great. I find you sorely lacking.”

“Allow us to surrender to you,” A Cathar, dressed in embellished armour, said as he stepped forward, “as warriors, not as cowards.”

“But, you are cowards,” The Mandalorians said slowly, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, before he suddenly drew his pistol, shooting the Cathar through the head, and killing him instantly. “Drive them into the sea!” He bellowed.

With cries of savage glee, the Mandalorians began to surge forward, pushing the Cathar towards the beech and the water beyond, firing their blasters near any who sought to escape, but making sure not to hit them. They were ordered to drive them back, not kill them, and whatever the Mandalorians may have been, they were soldiers who followed orders to the letter.

Soon, all of the Cathar were standing waist deep in the sea, the waves lapping around them as the Mandalorians watched from the beech, or from the air as they activated their jetpacks, the leader of the Mandalorians doing just that, surveying the Cathar from above.

“The Cathar are no more! Prepare to fire!” He shouted, readying his pistol.

“Cassus—wait!” A Mandalorian shouted, landing in the water just in front of the Cathar. The warrior was clearly female, and was clad in grey and red armour, her helmet being closer to a mask like the Mandalorians of old, rather than the full head helmets which seemed to be all the rage these days. “They're defeated! We don't have to do this!"

"The Cathar left a stain of dishonour amongst the Mando'ade,” The Mandalorian who had now been identified as Cassus replied, looking down at the female. “Today, I wash it clean in the waters of their own presumption. But if you truly feel they need a defender to stand with them—then do so, warrior. I salute you."

With that, he raised his pistol to his helmet in a gesture of good faith, before levelling it at the Mandalorian woman and the Cathar.

“Fire!”

Instantly, the Mandalorians opened fire on the unarmed Cathar, gunning them downs in their hundreds as if they were just animals, nothing more. Only the woman returned fire, lunging upwards on a tongue of fire as she collided with Cassus, knocking the commander from the sky.

The pair crashed to the earth, trading blows, before a sword glinted in the setting sun, before plunging into the woman’s chest, erupting from her back in a spray of blood.

“I do not begrudge you for this,” Cassus said softly, pulling his sword from her chest and laying her down on the floor. “You fought for what you believed was right, as any warrior should. This is a good death, there is no shame in this.”

“This is monstrous,” The woman muttered, her voice being obscured by the presence of her mask.

“This was war,” Cassus corrected her, before reaching up and removing her mask, tossing it to one side. “I respect you, but you chose the wrong side in the end.”

“Go…to hell.” She muttered, before her eyes slid shut, and she was gone, just another corpse alongside the thousands of others now floating in the seas of Cathar. The people of this world were no more.

***

Spike let out a gasp as he was dragged back into his body, finding himself lying down in the dirt, along with most of the other Jedi, who were looking around as they came back to their own bodies. Apparently it wasn’t just Spike who suffered from the force vision. Only one of their number had remained standing, only him, only their leader.

"They were beaten!” Revan roared to the heavens, still clutching the mask of the fallen Mandalorian woman. “You didn't have to do it! One of you knew, but you didn't listen! I don't know your name—but I take up your cause.” Revan looked at the mask with a slightly wistful look, before turning it over and placing it over his own face, “I will not remove your mask until there is justice—until the Mandalorians have been defeated once and for all. So swears, Revan!"

Spike staggered to his feet as he looked at Revan, the man’s face being obscured by the mask completely, giving him as inhuman a look as the Mandalorians had. It was odd, but Spike felt as if that was who Revan was, that his whole life until now was just leading up to this one moment, where he could become more than a man, more than flesh and blood. He was a symbol now, as much as the Curse of Ranox was a symbol of fear to the Mandalorians, Revan would be a symbol of hope to the Republic, an undying legend who would lead them to victory in this war, and stand as a paragon of the Jedi for decades, maybe even centuries, to come. Spike knew he had followed Revan for a reason. This was that reason.

Walking forward, Revan stood in front of Spike, barely a meter away from Atris and the troops who had come with her. She still had her Lightsaber drawn, but she looked as shocked as all the other Jedi presence, and did nothing as Revan advanced towards her. If he had wanted to strike, this would have been the perfect time. As it was, he wanted to talk.

“You all saw what I saw, the butchery that took place here. That is what the Mandalorians are! This, Cassus, has committed crimes punishable by death in the Republic, speciescide. This cannot, will not, stand! I will lead the Revanchists against this foe, with or without endorsement from the council, because some things are worth risking being banished from the order for. Some things are worth fighting for, and if something’s worth fighting for, it’s worth dying for.”

Atris slowly began to pull herself out of her stupor, the woman looking gaunt and confused. Instead, Master Kavar stepped forward, addressing Revan directly.

“Go now. This council will no longer stand in your way Revan, nor that of your supporters. We only ask that when you are done, and the Mandalorians are defeated, you return, and you do not repeat the mistakes made in the Great Hyperspace War.”

With that, Kavar turned and walked towards the ship he had come from, turning as he reached the ramp, and raising his voice once more.

“Do not lose yourselves on the path of war! If any of you ever wish to return to the temple, it shall be open for you!”

And with that, he was gone, disappearing inside the Hammerhead Cruiser, followed swiftly by the other members of the council. The Revanchists began to disperse as well, whooping and cheering at their latest, and greatest, victory to date. Now the war would change, now Jedi support could actually turn the tide of the battles, and this war would be turned around. Soon, even Revan, Malak and Meetra had left, celebrating their good fortune, leaving only the members of Nexu clan, the two pairs of Jedi staring across the divide at each other, one tied by blood, the other by friendship. It was Spike who finally broke the silence with a single word.

“Why?”

“Spike, I…” Corinna began, tears forming in her eyes.

“You betrayed me,” Spike cut in, venom dripping from his voice. “Me, Tarhal, Revan, the whole damn movement, and for what? Is Atris going to make you a Master for this?”

“The council was against this from the start Spike, you know that.” Zule replied, taking a step forward to cover his sister, his face remaining impassive. “You betrayed them, her, and me, when you went against their wishes, not the other way around.”

“The Republic is burning! The Cathar have been wiped out! This would never have come to light if we had listened to the council!” Spike roared.

“The council would have discovered the truth!” Zule roared back. “And then the Jedi would have acted in unison, instead of creating this split in the order. You’re tearing this order apart Spike. You, not Revan. You went back to Coruscant, you were a traitor, and you poisoned the minds of young Jedi.”

“The council would have done nothing,” Tarhal growled, looking at Zule and Corinna, disgust written on his face. “Atris would have been happy to sit around until the Republic sorted the mess out, even if that meant she was the queen bitch over the remains of the Republic.”

“She is a Master. Show your respect,” Zule hissed.

“I lost the tiny amount of respect I had left for Masters the moment I saw you with them,” Spike spat. “We are Nexu clan, the four of us, and Asho. She would be with us today, but the Mandalorians took her.”

“And you killed the Mandalorian who killed her!” Zule shouted. “And his brother, you wiped out his family line, is that not enough?”

“No,” Spike replied simply. “Because now, they’re doing it again, they are coming for the Republic, and I’ll be damned if I’ll see them on Coruscant again. So run back to the temple, hide like the pair of cowards you are, leave the fighting and the preservation of the Republic in the hand of those who can cope with that duty.”

“Spike,” Zule began.

“When this is over, you can speak to me. Not before,” Spike cut him off, before turning and walking towards where the other Revanchists were milling around. Tarhal was also walking towards them, being a few meters ahead of Spike. Spike was about to run to catch up with him, but was stopped by Corinna.

“Spike, wait. Please,” She begged as he turned around to look at her.

“I trusted you, and you betrayed that trust,” Spike scowled. “You told the council.”

“No, not at first,” She shook her head. “I told Zule when he came back. He’s my brother, I had to tell him. I thought maybe I could convince him to come with us, but he went straight to the council instead. I didn’t want to, but they said it was the right thing to do, and Zule supported them. He’s my brother Spike, you’ve got to understand that.”

“I have no family, not here anyway, and none by blood. Twilight was my sister, but when I came to the Jedi, you all became my family. I understand that you had to stand by him, but you still stood away from Tarhal and I. How can I understand that?”

“I just…” Corinna began, before Spike silenced her.

“Don’t. If you think you did right, keep thinking that, but don’t expect me to think you did right. Goodbye Corinna. Maybe when this war is over, we can be friends once more”

With that, Spike flared his wings, taking flight and soaring over the Revanchists. Many of them pointed up at him, but Spike didn’t care, right now all he wanted to do was be alone, or as alone as you could be with two other personalities running around in your head.

It did not take him long until he had found a small island in the middle of the ocean, landing on it softly and looking back at the shoreline. He wasn’t far out, and he could still make out the outline of the ships that had landed on the surface, the ten that had come with the council already beginning to take off, while Harmony was still sitting right where he had left her.

“Moonstone? Desolation?” He asked softly, sitting down heavily.

“I’m here Spike,” Moonstone said softly, appearing just in front of Spike and sitting down beside him, laying a hoof on his leg, even if it was little more than a comforting gesture, her hoof passing through him.

“As am I,” Desolation growled, Spike allowing him to take over for a moment so the three of them could converse.

It was odd, that even though Moonstone was in his head, and knew exactly what he was thinking, she couldn’t tell what Desolation was up to, and so he had to vocalise his opinion through Spike. To any outsider, it would look like Spike was holding a conversation with himself.

“I never thought Corinna would do that, nor Zule,” Moonstone said solemnly.

“Zule is as much of an idiot as anyone on the council, Corinna was just his pawn,” Spike replied.

“She still betrayed us. You were this close to attacking the council Spike,” Desolation chuckled.

“Damn it, don’t you think I know that?” Spike sighed. “I felt you scrabbling away under here though,” Spike tapped his head, “if you had got out, there would be a lot of dead bodies joining the Cathar.”

“I can’t believe what this ‘Cassus’ did to them. They were defenceless, and he gunned them down,” Moonstone said in a disgusted tone.

“Mandalorians are vicious beasts, and that’s coming from me,” Desolation chuckled.

“Yeah, coming from the Curse of Ranox, that is rich,” Spike snorted. “But not all of them are like that. As much as it pains me to say it, that woman, she was brave. She stood up for what was right, because it was right. She died trying to do the right thing, and now Revan has taken up her mask.”

“It suits him,” Moonstone remarked.

“Oh dear lord, my subconscious has a crush on someone,” Spike groaned.

“I do not have a crush on him,” Moonstone retorted indignantly. “I was merely stating that he looks well suited to the mask. You thought something similar didn’t you when you saw him? That he looked like he was meant to wear it, and he would become a symbol more than a man.”

“Symbols are worth more than blood,” Desolation smiled. “And a name, a name that will strike fear into the enemy, that’s worth even more.”

“So while we go on to be feared and loathed by our enemy, while Revan becomes loved by his allies,” Moonstone said, her voice sounding slightly bitter.

“Someone’s got to take that role, and we might as well take it,” Spike replied. “I know you don’t want to Moonstone…”

“Don’t want to? We’ll become the daemon of this conflict,” Moonstone replied. “Oh course I don’t want to do it. You’re a good person Spike, I’m less sure about some of the people you share your mind with, but you are.”

“You know, after saving us on Ranox, and keeping us alive on more than one occasion, you would think you would be a bit more grateful Moonstone,” Desolation growled.

“Grateful? For what exactly? Spike would have handled the situations fine without you, and with less wanton violence. You are superfluous,” Moonstone snapped.

“Superfluous?” Desolation laughed. “Yes, because when Spike was being tortured, you were so much help. Tell me, how many times did you come and see him in that month, where were you when his guts were spilled onto the floor or he watched as the skin was peeled back off his legs, only to be stitched back on?”

“I couldn’t, it would have killed him,” Moonstone snapped. “His mind was under so much stress that forming me to be there would have been the end of him. Is that what you would have wanted?”

“Don’t be an idiot, Spike would have survived it. You always underestimate him, he can survive more than either of us and you know it.”

“Will both of you SHUT UP!” Spike roared, breaking through the weak barriers Desolation had formed to keep him pinned down so he could talk directly to Moonstone.

“Spike I…” Moonstone began.

“Stow it,” Spike snapped, getting up and looking down at the mare. “Desolation saved our lives on Ranox and Maryx, don’t treat him like an animal!”

“Thank you…” Desolation started, rising to the surface again, before being shoved back down.

“And you! Moonstone has always been there for me. Before you were anything, she was there. She helped me on Illum, she helped me get through so much. She is needed as much as you are.”

“Spike, you can’t be serious,” Moonstone said in disbelief. “He would have killed the council, lead to hundreds of deaths just to satiate his appetite, and you still trust him?”

“Like it or not Moonstone, I do,” Spike nodded. “The three of us together are one being, alone, we’re weak. Together, we are a dragon, capable of feats of strength that make a power loader look like a children’s toy, and durable enough to make all but the heaviest tanks jealous. I never wanted to be a real Dragon, not after the Dragon migration I went to. That wasn’t what I wanted to be, but if I have to become that to save the Republic, then so be it.”

“You can still be a Dragon without him,” Moonstone pointed out.

“I’m more of a Dragon than you pony girl,” Desolation spat back.

“We are all one. One Dragon, not two Dragons and a Pony. The rage and fire of a Dragon, that’s you Desolation. Moonstone, the age old wisdom that a Dragon acquires over the eons of its life, and me, whatever the hell I am.”

“Loyalty,” Desolation said simply. “Not to the Jedi, but to the Republic. You believe in it. You’ll fight for it, even if that means dashing yourself against its enemies until there’s nothing left of the Spike that used to be.”

“And courage,” Moonstone added. “I know your mind Spike, better than Desolation ever could. You haven’t stopped yet, and I can’t see you stopping anytime soon. We’ll just keep going, until we finally win.”

“Or die,” Desolation muttered.

“Yes, or until we die,” Spike nodded. “But we’re not dying today. Today, we’ve won. The three of us, not just me, and not just the Revanchists. We have been endorsed by the council, the pair of you have stopped snapping at each other’s throats, and believe me if you relapse I’ll find a way to make you wish you hadn’t. These victories are hard won, but we did it. Nothing can stop us now.”

PreviousChapters Next