• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 15,560 Views, 3,181 Comments

The Dragon and the Force - FenrisianBrony



Spike disappears from Equestria, and ends up surrounded by Jedi

  • ...
65
 3,181
 15,560

PreviousChapters Next
Not the Warmest Welcome

Being unconscious, whether through fatigue, injury or any other form of unlooked for black out is a strange experience. It is hard to put into words had one not experienced it before, but it is both frightening and calming at the same time. The fear that you may never awaken mingles with the relief that you may not have to. The nuances were far greater of course, but they are difficult to describe had one not experienced it first hand.

Spike had been unconscious throughout his life more times than he could count.

As the dragon drifted in his own mind, the fear he had once felt in such a state was utterly absent, though in truth this was no surprise. He knew he was not dead. He knew the Star Forge had been destroyed with no chance of its recovery from the star of the Lehon system. He even knew Bastila had been returned to the light and had worked with the Republic once more to secure their victory. True he did not know the final fate of Malak, if Carth and Kandar had struck him down, if he had still been on the Star Forge when it had been destroyed, or if he’d escaped, but truthfully it didn’t matter anymore.

The Star Forge was the true threat, Malak was its leader and still a brutal foe to have to face, but without his Star Forge, his fleets and armies would no longer be limitless. If the war still raged, it would be a new chapter, one far more evenly matched than those that came before it.

Even as Spike mused, he felt his corporeal body pulling at him from afar, beaconing him back to the waking world. Spike neither resisted the pull nor ran towards it, both actions meaningless in such a place. He would wake when his body was capable of doing such, not a moment before, not a moment after.

As Spike’s real-world eyes shot open he let out a huge breath, sitting bolt upright and nearly slamming his still helmeted head into the top of the medical scanner he lay upon.

He was still in full armour, a quick glance around telling him that only Seugtai and a medical droid stood within the infirmary.

“Nice of you to come back to us,” Seugtai laughed, his own helmet still in place. “Took your sweet time about it too, we almost missed the request for our presence.”

“Our presence?” Spike asked, shaking his head to try and clear his senses. “The battle’s still going then?”

“Oh no, the battles won, we won,” Seugtai helped Spike to his feet. “Malak was killed on the Star Forge, this Kandar managed to kill him, must be one hell of a prodigy, definitely not Sith either, the Republic is currently holding a celebration ceremony on the surface of Lehon for him and his crew, we’re also invited, same with the surviving Jedi borders. Seems like anyone who made it onto the station is being recognised for their achievements.”

“The Republic...wants to honour us?” Spike asked, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. “Not too long ago they tried to arrest us all on Kashyyyk, now they’re celebrating us?”

“New galaxy,” Seugtai shrugged. “War’s over, healings more important to the Republic than revenge.”

“Good to hear, though I doubt the order will be as accommodating. They don’t have a good track record of welcoming back wayward warriors who the Republic loves, if Meetra’s anything to go by.”

“Fuck the Jedi,” Seugtai laughed, giving a terse nod to the medical droid as the pair left the small room, Spike instantly realising they were on one of the many Hammerheads in the grand fleet, whether one of his or the Republic’s he wasn’t sure, but the design was obvious. “Meetra didn’t have to go back, she chose to, you said that yourself. You don’t have to go back either, and if I’m honest, I’d rather you didn’t. Ordo’s still out there, Spike. You wore the armour well in combat, the way of the Mandalorians is in you now, don’t throw it away for the Jedi. You deserve better than that.”

“I won’t be, don’t worry there, that bridge has been well and truly burnt.”

The pair continued down towards the hangar bay, soldiers passing the pair and confirming Spike’s suspicion that they were indeed on a ship in the Republic fleet, not one of his own vessels, something he quickly brought up with Seugtai.

“The fleets on the system edge,” Seugtai replied by way of explanation. “Most of the captains have a criminal record or are escaped cons, they were fine fighting alongside them in the battle, but now it's over, most of them are worried that the goodwill of the Republic will find its limits. They’ll wait for us, but they’re waiting at a distance.”

“Fair enough, I suppose,” Spike nodded, knowing full well the desire not to be returned to any of the prisons that likely would have awaited any of them. Truth be told, he wasn’t optimistic himself about being surrounded by Republic soldiers just yet, but he trusted Seugtai. If the old mandalorian said they were safe, they were safe.

“So,” Seugtai spoke again as they entered a turbolift, rocketing across the ship towards the hangar. “How was your first outing in your own beskar’gam?”

“Weird,” Spike admitted, suddenly actually aware of the tight suit and armour he still wore. “I’m not used to as much restriction when I fight, and the helmet? Nearly melted it onto my face trying to fight those blasted droids.”

“Yeah, good point on that one, maybe a re-designed helmet is needed,” Seugtai laughed. “To be expected though, everyone feels clammed up their first time, it gets better. Trust me, soon you’ll not even know it's there anymore.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” Spike grinned, exiting the lift and striding across the hangar.

Both of their War Droids were sitting in the hangar, idling as if they too needed a rest after the battle they had been in, Spike and Seugtai walking past them to instead board a waiting shuttle, the craft taking off the moment they were on board, the ramp and airlock sealing as they shot into space and headed for the surface of Lehon.

“Looking forward to meeting this Kandar,” Seugtai admitted as they approached. “Anyone who can go toe to toe with someone like Malak and win? They deserve a drink.”

“Several,” Spike agreed. “Honestly all of them do, well, maybe no that Mission kid? How old do you think she is?”

“Probably not old enough to drink by Republic laws, but by my estimates, that would also make her not old enough to save the galaxy, so I say forget that age, she deserves one as much as any.”

They lapsed into silence as Spike thought about the members of Kandar’s and Carth’s party. Most of them seemed fine, but to have both Canderous and HK-47 travelling with him, it smacked of ill-fortune, some cosmic force at work or, worst of all, active attempts to gather those who had ties to Spike. Spike dismissed the last one with a grunt. He wasn’t that important, he doubted that in a race to save the galaxy, kandar hadn’t spared him a single thought, if he knew him at all. The Jedi order was huge and Spike was a black mark in it at the best of times.

“Strange to see Canderous again,” Seugtai broke the silence, as if reading Spike’s mind. “Must have been two years before the end of the war since I saw him last. Good to see other members of Ordo are still around.”

“The clans are scattered, we saw to that,” Spike sighed, not for the first time regretting how completely they had destroyed the mandalorians. At the time it had seemed so final and definitive, securing the Republic for all time. Now, his mind wondered what would have happened had the mandalorian clans still been armed and had stood against revan and Malak.

“We’ll rebuild, that I swae to you,” Seugtai’s voice had the conviction of someone who wouldn’t rest until his words came true, Spike not doubting him for a second.

The craft touched down just outside an ancient stone building, its design and inscriptions making it look like some form of temple. Dozens of other ships were present alongside hundreds of soldiers and Jedi, Spike even doing a double take as he saw Supreme Chancellor Tol Cressa present. Either the Supreme Chancellor had been waiting for this moment just outside the system, or Spike had been unconscious long enough for him to reach Lehon from the capital world.

An escort met the two as they exited the ship, leading them inside the vast temple building, a room set aside where Master Vandar was already waiting.

“Master Vandar,” Spike nodded as he entered the room, Vandar looking at Spike with a look of surprise on his face.

“Spike? The war has clearly taken you down a very divergent path than the one you were set upon before its start.”

“I’m not in prison, so of course,” Spike retorted, keeping his annoyance in check just barely, thanking whatever was looking over him that it was Vandar and not Atris standing before him. “This is Seugtai Ordo, he’s stood beside me and shown me his ways.”

Seugtai nodded to Vandar, the diminutive Jedi bowing his own head in return.

“We are just waiting upon the others and then we can begin. Spike, there is something I must say before they arrive...”

Whatever Vandar was about to say, he never got a chance to say it, the door sliding open behind them, Spike whirling to see the newcomers. He recognised every single one of them. Bastila and Carth from their pictures, Canderous, Mission, Zaalbar, Jolee, Juhani, T3-M4 and HK-47 from the Star Forge, and at their head...

“REVAN!” Spike roared, leaping forward as he saw the man who he had once loved and now despised above all enter the room.

Revan looked identical to how Spike remembered him, before he had put on the damned mask. His face and beard were weary with age, but he had clearly not been diminished by any of what had transpired in the past few years. The last time Spike had seen him, Revan had stood with Malak, the trio crossing blades, Spike forced to retreat before their combined fury.Now, he would finish the job.

Elusive roared into life in Spike’s hand, the gleaming white blade descending, only to be met with a glowing purple blade as revan ignited his own Lightsaber. The blades clashed for an instant before Spike was hurled backwards, Bastila’s hand outstretched, her own lightsaber igniting.

Spike twisted in the air, managing to land well enough as he drew his blaster, Seugtai’s own weapons out and readied as he stood beside Spike, Revans companions doing the same.

“Hold, Spike,” Vandar spoke, moving between the two groups.

“What, the hell, is going on,” Spike growled, his anger barely contained.

“I’d like to know too,” Seugtai agreed.

“And I would like to know why a criminal is here,” Bastila shot back, glaring at Spike. “Even under that armour I recognise you, Spike. Have you betrayed the Republic now just as you betrayed the Jedi?”

“Why you self sanctimonious...” Spike began.

“Master vandar said hold.”

The voice was calm, one Spike knew oh so well, watching as Revan deactivated his lightsaber and approached Vandar.

“It appears I should have waited for longer.”

“I was about to explain as you entered,” Vandar looked back at Spike. “Lower your weapons.”

“Why should I?” Spike snarled.

“Because I am about to explain.”

“You can explain with my weapons out just well enough,” Spike snapped. “Talk, tell me why he’s here and not in chains.”

“The same reason you aren’t Spike,” Vandar countered. “Because the Republic has forgiven his crimes.”

“His crimes are not comparable with mine!” Spike roared, rounding on Vandar. “He led an invasion of the Republic, I tried to stop it, do not place me on a level with him.”

“Calm yourself, Spike,” Revan spoke softly, Spike hating the fact that his voice did indeed make Spike want to calm down, laden with authority that could never be taught or learnt, it was something that some people naturally had. Revan had always had it.

“Why?” Spike repeated again, gritting his teeth to keep his voice contained, though both his lightsaber and pistol were still held ready.

“Bastila was sent not to kill, but to capture Revan,” Vandar started. “While they fought, a life bond was formed through the force, binding them together.”

“When Malak attacked, most of my strikeforce were killed, and Revan was injured,” Bastila continued. “We managed to escape and took him to Dantooine, we wrote a new personality atop his own, in the hopes he would subconsciously lead us to the Sith Empires secret weapon.”

“And I thought the Jedi were above such use of prisoners of war,” Seugtai laughed, Canderous letting out a laugh of his own at the other Mandalorians' words.

“Oh and the Mandalorians are any better?” Mission shouted.

“We never claim to be any different,” Seugtai countered. “We never hid behind a veneer of nobility while sinking to the depths of the enemy.”

“Because every action is justified if victory is gained,” Revan finished.

“And that’s why you beat us,” Canderous nodded.

“So you wiped his memory? Seems like he’s got it back to me,” Spike snapped.

“I do,” Revan agreed. “There was an...incident during the war. My ship was captured, Bastila taken by Malak who revealed the truth to me. Knowing that broke the bonds the Jedi had placed on my mind, for the most part at least, and yet I still stand here, fighting for the Republic.”

“You should have stayed dead,” Spike growled.

“And then we would all be dead. Do not be a fool, Spike. I know my crimes are great, but to wallow in them is to accept defeat. I taught you far...”

“YOU TAUGHT ME NOTHING!” Spike roared. “You were not my master, you were not my teacher. You were my general, my friend, and you betrayed everything we stood for at Malachor, then you abandoned us all to lead a war against us.”

Spike seethed, before closing his eyes beneath his helmet, taking a long, deep breath before finally opening them, deactivating his lightsaber and holstering his pistol.

“If the Republic and the Jedi already know about this, then it’s not my place to have any say, but I do not have to like it.”

With that, Spike pushed past Revan, storming off into the temple interior, Seugtai following after him, leaving Vandar with Revan and his companions.

Despite the fact that Spike had only left a few moments before Seugtai, the dragon was nowhere to be found and when Seugtai went to find Spike’s armour locator, he found that it had been purposely deactivated. Resigning himself to a manual search, Seugtai began to move around the temple, noting the recent carbon scoring on the walls as he went. There had been a fight here recently, likely during the battle in orbit above.

Finally after hours of searching, Seugtai emerged at the top of the temple, a small stone courtyard that looked like it had been used as a landing pad recently. If Spike wasn’t up here, Seugtai was out of ideas, but as he exited the stairwell, he saw Spike standing alone, his helmet removed as he looked up at the sky.

“A Mandalorian isn’t meant to remove his helmet,” Seugtai pointed out.

“You always did,” Spike looked round as he spoke. “I’ve seen your face more than enough times.”

“Maybe that’s my failing,” Seugtai conceded, before reaching up and removing his own helmet, revealing the aged Taung behind it. “Brooding then?”

“Brooding,” Spike nodded. “Everyone can be redeemed if they are willing, Seugtai. I’ve tried to hold onto that from my home, failed more times than I can count in the heat of the moment, but I’ve tried, at least when my head’s clear. I think Twilight and the others would at least approve of the effort, if not my failings.”

“Haven’t heard you talk about your home for a while,” Seugtai sounded surprised.

“It hurts to think about,” Spike shrugged. “I still don't know if they’re even out there, if the world is somewhere physical or something else. I don’t even know for sure if its real, if all my memories are just in my head, the scroll I puked up some manifestation of a life that doesn’t exist. Goddess help me but I’d like to have some closure on that. I could use it now.”

“Moonstone can help?” Seugtai half asked the question, half spoke as if he was pointing out the obvious.

“She tried, but in this case she can’t. She’s a reminder, not her fault but I asked her to leave for a bit. I needed time to think. Like I said, I’ve always tried to see redemption in people, even those I’ve failed to see it in at the time I can see it after the fact, but Revan? To know he’s walking around after Malachor? After Telos? After the whole war he led?”

“Want my advice?” Seugtai asked, standing beside Spike, the two resting on the parapet and looking down at the celebrations far below.

“I feel you’re going to give it to me anyway, so go on.”

“Forget it,” Seugtai replied simply. “Revan’s not your concern anymore, the Jedi and their politics, even the Republic, they’re not your burden to bear any longer. They cast you out, their loss, but I told you, Ordo will find a place for you. Mandalorians are usually a more forgiving kind when it comes to enemy combatants.”

“You can say that again,” a voice called from behind the pair, both warriors whirling round to look at Canderous, the man striding towards them, his heavy blaster holstered on his back, his own armour glinting in the light of the worlds star.

“Shouldn’t you be down there with Revan and the others?” Spike asked icily.

“Pah, they pinned their little Cross of Glory to my chest and said how grateful they all are, what does that matter though?” Candeous laughed, before looking at the pair. “It is good to see more Mandalorians from the war, even if I only knew you as an enemy, Spike. The galaxy makes for strange coincidences, doesn’t it?”

“Never thought I’d be wearing this armour and it actually meaning something if that’s what you mean,” Spike nodded.

“Always a good day when an old enemy sees the light of the way,” Canderous nodded, before addressing both of them. “I’ll be shipping out soon, Revan has offered me one final ride in the Ebon Hawk to the Hydian Way, from there I’ll be making my way back to Ordo, whatever's left of it. I could travel alone, but travelling together seems smarter, lots of people in the Republic still hold a grudge against one Mandalorian, enough to take a pot shot at least. Three of us would give anyone pause, especially one the size of the Beast over here.”

“Don’t call me that,” Spike growled.

“I’ll call you it until you give me reason not to,” Canderous retorted. “I saw what you did on Ranox, the title should be an honorific, one warrior bringing an entire world to its knees? That takes skill, worthy of memory.”

“The only reason you need is I said not to,” Spike’s teeth glinted as he snarled. “I was a different person on Ranox, physically different. That’s all you need to know.”

“I...” Canderous began, Moonstone appearing beside Spike and cutting him off.

“Spike asked you not to speak on it, Rally Master, I would ask the same, as well as advise you not to press the issue.”

“On this, I’d agree with Moonstone,” Seugtai nodded. “It’s a...touchy subject.”

“What the hell are you?” Canderous seemed to forget about the prior conversation, looking at Moonstone who smiled, before fading from sight.

“Trust me, brother, you’ll get used to it in time,” Seugtai laughed, before securing his helmet in place, Spike following suit. “Come on, we have a fleet to figure out what we’re doing with, and then onto Ordo.”

With those words, Seugtai, Canderous and Spike left the courtyard, heading back down to the temple towards the awaiting shuttles. For the first time in as long as he could remember, Spike truly had no goals, no Republic to rebuild after the Exar Kun War, no padawan to train after the Mandalorian Wars, no galaxy spanning foe to fight. Now, Spike was free to just be Spike, Spike the Mandalorian, Spike the Ex-Jedi.

Spike, the dragon.

Author's Note:

And with that, Act Three is now closed

PreviousChapters Next