• Published 10th Oct 2013
  • 1,151 Views, 51 Comments

What Should Daring Do? - ocalhoun



[Interactive] [Comment Driven] Help guide the intrepid explorer in a dangerous quest for the fabled Diamond Eye. Your comments drive the action!

  • ...
1
 51
 1,151

Mayday

The old unicorn stallion glared at Daring Do, his beard stretched out in the wind. He never would listen to anypony, not back at the university and certainly not now.

Daring tried to stare him down in return, a contest she knew she was doomed to lose. “For the last time, I am not letting you come with me. It's too dangerous.”

“You already did, my girl.” He waved a hoof at the sky chariot they rode in. “And after dragging my old bones all this way, I am not going to be left sitting outside the temple and waiting for you to come out. Why, as soon as I...”

Daring groaned. This was going to be hard enough without dragging her uncle along. She should have just flown herself and told him he can keep his chartered sky chariot. Who cared how long a trip it was.

She turned around, ignoring the old coot's continuing tirade, and peered around the two pegasus stallions pulling the chariot. Ahead, she could only see the unending sand dunes of the Saddle Arabian desert. The dust in the hot, dry air stung her eyes, and she strained to see through the heat waves, but she still couldn't see any sign of the Temple of the Sun God.

Her eyes would have teared up, if they weren't desiccated already. For the thousandth time, she wished she had thought to bring along some goggles. Reluctantly, she ducked back into the shelter of the chariot's cab.

“And that's why your mother never...”

“Uncle Pineapple–”

“...bothered to tell you that she and Honey Do hated–”

Uncle Pineapple!”

He blinked through his thick glasses. “Yes, dear?”

“Are we getting close yet? It's been hours since we entered the desert, and I still don't see any sign of it.”

“Oh. Ah, yes. Let me check.” The old stallion peeled his leather backpack off and rummaged through it.

Daring rolled her eyes as he shoved his entire face into the bag, mumbling something about his compass. She wished yet again that Pineapple could have just told her where the temple was, but the geezer guessed – correctly – that she would have left him back in Canterlot University if she didn't need his help finding the place.

Finally, he pulled his map and navigational gear out of the bag. “Help me hold it flat, Daring.”

She did as he requested, putting two hooves on the edge of the map to keep it from blowing away in the wind. She stared at the yellowed sheet, wishing he had marked the temple's location on it. No such luck – no 'X' to mark the spot on this map.

Pineapple unfolded his dusty wooden-cased compass and stood up on his hind legs, taking his sight readings. “Are you ready, gal?”

Daring grabbed the pencil in her mouth. “Ready,” she mumbled around it.

“Mount Olymphooves, two hundred forty-five point two degrees.”

She scribbled it down.

“Saddle Peak, three hundred ten point five.” He spun around. “Mount Dragonsbane, forty-four point one.”

She scribbled away on the margins of the map.

“Did you get all that?” Pineapple asked, plopping back down to the floor of the chariot.

Daring just pointed her hoof at the notes and tossed him the pencil.

He caught it with his magic. For an old stallion, he still had good reflexes. He used it to scratch at a balding spot in his yellow mane before leaning down and working on the figures.

Again, Daring Do rolled her eyes. Why did he have to insist on doing the navigation? Despite all the glamor and danger she was famous for, her special talent actually was navigation. She could have finished this in half the time.

Finally, Professor Pineapple craned his neck out over the map and plotted another dot at the end of their line, marking their current position.

“So, are we close?” She raised an eyebrow at him.

He rolled up the map and began packing everything back into his pack. “Oh yes. Very close. I believe we should be able to see it before long, and we're perfectly on course.”

He pulled the ties closed on the pack and slipped it onto his back. She couldn't believe he insisted on wearing it the whole time. Didn't he trust her? She wasn't about to dig in his bag and try to discover where the temple was, and besides, it wasn't marked on the map, anyway. He'd just been leading her on by memory of where it was.

Hopefully, his memory was in better shape than his old grey trench coat. He'd been wearing that thing ever since he first mentioned coming with her, even though it had more holes than a doughnut shop and clashed horribly with his dusty brown fur. He claimed it had seen him through a ton of adventures, but she could hardly imagine him on adventures, even when he was younger.

She leaned back against the front wall of the chariot, idly watching the dunes roll by behind them, as she had for much of the trip. She hated this part the most really – the long, boring trip to the beginning of her adventures. At least this time she was going by chariot instead of by balloon or under her own wingpower. It was faster, but her lack of involvement in the transportation left her even more bored. Sometimes, she wished something would just–

The chariot bucked up and to the side from underneath her. She clutched onto the railing with an iron grip. Metal shrieked as it was torn, and the world around her spun.

She looked up to see Pineapple clinging to the railing on the other side. Behind her, the two pegasus stallions pulling the chariot struggled to steady it. Supply boxes poured out of the back, dumping out into the desert sky.

The wind whipped through Daring Do's mane, nearly knocking her hat off. She glanced over the edge to see the dunes growing larger dangerously fast.

The pegusai up front whinnied and struggled, and slowly, the chariot stopped spinning and began to regain its lost altitude.

Daring Do breathed a sigh of relief. That had been close. What even happened? Where had that come from anyw–

Her eyes widened when she saw something glowing bright blue shoot towards the chariot from the ground. “Speed Breeze, Sunbeam,” she called out to the stallions, “I think we've got another–”

Another jolt from the chariot threw her against the wall. She could barely peel herself away from the rail, the chariot spun so fast. She turned to yell at the pegusai again, but Sunbeam was missing. Only a smoking hole remained on the chariot where his harness should have been.

After searching the spinning sky for a moment, she caught a glimpse of a pegasus hurtling away from them. It must have been Sunbeam. At least he was okay.

She had her own problems though. The chariot spun and pivoted through the sky, falling like a rock, even flipping upside down. Speed Breeze strained at his harness. His legs kicked as fast as his beating wings, and sweat poured from him, but the chariot was still out of control and losing altitude fast.

She glanced back toward Pineapple. Terror filled his eyes, and he clung to the railing as if he was trying to strangle it. Behind him, she could see the desert sand, coming up at them all too fast.

She knew what she had to do.

Fighting the massive rotational forces and squinting her eyes against the wind whipping her mane, she forced her way around the edge of the chariot to reach her uncle.

Finally, she made it. She wrapped her hooves around his chest and shouted in his ear, hoping he could hear her through the randomly buffeting wind. “On the count of three, let go!” She tensed he leg muscles and flared her wings, preparing for the jump. “One... two... Three!”

The sudden change of direction almost tore Pineapple out of her grip as she flew free of the chariot. If not for the backpack giving her something to hold on to, she might have lost him.

She glanced down. The ground still rushed up at them, terrifyingly close now. They couldn't be more than a couple hundred feet up.

She gave everything she had into her wings, flapping furiously to bring them up out of their dive. The wind tore past her, and her flight muscles burned at the unaccustomed strain, but she made progress.

She was almost level by the time they first struck the sand.

At the first impact, Pineapple was torn away from her grip, and she cartwheeled away. She tried to steady her flight, but before she could, another dune caught her in the side, knocking the breath out of her.

She bounced up, completely out of control now, and too stunned to do anything about it. She could only watch with short-lived dread as another dune came rushing at her.

As soon as the impact registered, her world started getting dark and fuzzy. She felt hot, and she felt like she might be sick. Warm darkness came in to comfort her.

* * *

Daring Do groaned... or, she would have, if her mouth wasn't full of sand.

She picked herself up, pushing herself out of the sand dune she was half-buried in. She coughed the sand out of her mouth as well as she could, and shook her head to both sides to clear her ears. She took a look around.

She immediately spotted Pineapple, laying face down on the dune maybe a dozen feet away. After watching him for a moment, she could see his chest rising and falling. Good – he was alive.

The chariot and their two pegasus stallions were nowhere to be seen, though. She could only see undulating sand in all directions.

Great. Stranded in the desert. With Uncle Pineapple, of all ponies. She shook her head. Better go wake him up.

After a few grueling steps in the hot, soft sand, Daring Do gave up on it. She fluttered up with her wings and flew over to Pineapple. Even that short flight left her wing muscles aching, though. She must have really overworked them on the way down.

The old pony groaned when she nudged his shoulder, and he spit out his own mouthful of sand. He didn't seem to be injured.

Daring took another look at her surroundings as she waited for Pineapple to recover. Again, all she could see was sand, sand, and more sand. The sun burned lower in the cloudless sky now; it would only be a few hours until sunset, but still, the heat radiating from it baked into her fur. She was already sweating.

“Ugh,” Pineapple said, looking around for himself, “So... what do we do now?”

Author's Note:

So, readers, what should Daring do?

Tell me in the comments. I'll pick one response, and Daring Do will do that.
Be specific, serious, and practical, for a better chance of your suggestion being taken.
Give advice about what she should do in her immediate situation, not long-term goals, please.

This fic will develop based on your input. You control what's going to happen. Enjoy!

(The length and frequency of future chapters will vary. Bear with me, folks.)