• Published 11th Oct 2011
  • 12,345 Views, 324 Comments

Celestial Bodies - Davesknd



There are things that will be written into the books of history. These stories will not!

  • ...
17
 324
 12,345

World that never was

“Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years?” The dark Queen of the Night demanded to know. “Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?”

Suddenly the doors burst open.

“We did!”

Whatever hope of rescue the crowd had, was snuffed out, when they beheld sable robes, adorned with silver moons.
The strangers were many, at least twenty and they wore their determination like a badge of honour.
Well, that and their complete exhaustion. Most were wheezing and panting, as if they had run for a long time.

The one who had spoken, a tall unicorn stallion, slowly approached the dark princess. “We have seen the signs, we have awaited your crown!” he said loudly and got onto his knees as he finished “And we have prepared, my lady! We, the followers of Nightmare Moon, are honored and happy to welcome you back!”

Twilight Sparkle’s head almost exploded. “You have followers?!” she asked loudly.

“I didn’t know that!” Nightmare Moon answered, equally confused.

“During your exile, we have hidden from the eyes of Celestia.” The leader explained loudly “We lived amongst our fellow ponies, waiting, plotting, knowing that one day, you would return to us.” He sighed deeply “And honestly, we almost blew it. Our train was late and we had to run all the way from the station.”

“I told you to arrange for enough seats in the earlier one, but somepony did not listen…” came from somewhere in the ranks of the followers.

“Do not digress!” Nightmare Moon interrupted quickly “You claim to be my followers? You would swear fealty to me, the Mistress of the Night? Then where were you during my rebellion? What have you done while I was chained to the moon, I command?”

“I second that question!” Twilight yelled “How long have you crazy ponies been working against Celestia?”

“Erm… Four years and seven months.” The stallion admitted “But hey, we are almost thirty members by now! We even beat that book club from down the road!”

Several proud stops echoed through the hall. They had little acoustic competition. Most ponies in the hall, including the guards, were too confused, perplexed or busy keeping Pinkie Pie from interrupting the whole thing.

“Very well, my *follower*!” Nightmare Moon spoke with both amusement and arrogance “Entertain our curiosity. How have you prepared for my arrival? Are you aware of what is to come?”

The leader took a deep bow. “May I address your subjects?” he asked carefully.

“You may!” the dark princess answered with a wave of her hoof.

“Citizens of Ponyville!” the stallion announced and turned to the crowd “This summer sun celebration marks the 1000 anniversary of the banishment of the princess of Equestria! A millennium ago, we lost our princess of the night! And for a thousand years, Celestia ruled alone! Until today! For today, the stars themselves returned our just ruler and sovereign, our Lady Nightmare Moon, to us!
From this day on, we shall no longer celebrate the sun, but the return of our ruler! From this day forward, the rule of Nightmare Moon begins and may it last more than a thousand years!

Fear not, my fellow ponies, gryphons, zebras, donkey, cows and I think that over there is some kind of green and purple potato!”
“DRAGON!” An angry dragon proclaimed.

“Sorry! As I said, Fear not, for as much as this is the end of one aera, it marks the beginning of a new one. And we have prepared for everything. The night will last forever and we will prosper under this night!”

“STOP!” Twilight yelled. “This is crazy.

The leader sighed. “Look, Sparkle, Celestia had her turn and she had a good one, she clearly failed to prepare for this day. Otherwise, she would be here, blowing Lady Nightmare Moon up, or something. Just accept that we are at the beginning of a new era and roll with it.”

“But this is crazy! She is an usurper! A traitor to the crown! And she is clearly evil!”

Nightmare Moon was about to retort but the leader of the followers was quicker.

“Yes, yes, all of those things are true.” He answered calmly “At least Milady was at the time of her banishment.” He grabbed into his cloak and pulled out a few pieces of paper. “Now, we ran this through with our law experts and historians and according to them, a usurper ultra vires and, let us take the most extreme, perpetrator of attempted regicide, would be banished for life from the kingdom.”
Twilight nodded triumphantly.

“Now, there was a very interesting clause in the minotaur tolerance patent, section 707.” The stallion continued “Since the life expectancy of minotaurs is much longer than the average pony, princess Celestia set a standard for prison times that takes the length of the average life into account. Part of her reasoning was that if we ever had to sentence a dragon, we had to take their potential age into account.” Beneath the robes, a smile crept onto the stallion’s lips. “Long story short: Milady served her sentence. More than that in fact, since the law had a clause that allowed it to be applied ex post facto. And since her sentence has been carried out completely and without complaints, Milady has to be seen as completely rehabilitated, so would you please not slander your rightful ruler?”

Twilight’s jaw dropped.

And so did Nightmare Moon’s for that matter.

“You can’t be serious.” The student stammered.

“I have the copies here.” The stallion answered smugly “We also looked into Princess Celestia’s title claimants. She never revoked the title of “Princess of the Night”, therefore, it still belongs to Lady Nightmare Moon. In other words, Milady IS our legitimate ruler, even IF Celestia shows up now. Rather, any attempt by Celestia to remove her from office has to be considered an attempt to usurp her title illegitimately. In other words: You fight Milady, you’re the traitor to the crown.”

“bubububub…” the purple unicorn stammered, unable to formulate any coherent sentence.

Behind them, Nightmare Moon broke into maniacal laughter. “MUAHAHAHAAHA! Still hoping I would crawl back to you, Celestia, did you! But you have handed Equestria to me on a silver platter!” Grinning broadly, she addressed her followers “Had I known how useful followers could be, I would have put more effort into it! You have made your Princess very proud. Now let us celebrate my return! And let our enemies howl in despair, for the sun shall never shine again!”

Cheers followed from the followers, interlaced with some confused cheers from some ponies and Pinkie Pie, who was just happy that at least the silly dressed ponies were happy.

Twilight turned to one of the guards. “Can’t you arrest them or something?”

“Sorry, Ma’am, the documents are legit.” The guard answered. “And honestly, if she managed to stand up to Princess Celestia, she would probably whoop us in a few seconds.”

“We guards are mostly here to look good.” The other guard added.

“Yeah, we are basically eye candy for the tourists and the princess.” The first one explained.

“But… my brother is the captain…” Twilight sobbed. She was close to tears now.

“Yeah, only because he is the sexiest of us all…” the first guard answered.

AAAAAAAAHHH

Twilight awoke from the nightmare, her coat soaked in cold sweat. Out of reflex, her horn lit up and she looked around frantically.

“Twilight?” a soft and caring voice asked groggily. “What is it? Did you have a nightmare?”

Her senses finally returned to her and Twilight felt the soft coat of Princess Celestia, the familiar warmth of the royal beds and the sweet familiarity of her lovers embrace.

“Yes, Tia…” she answered slowly and relaxed into her princess’ closeness. “It was terrible…”

“What happened?” Celestia asked softly.

“The followers…” Twilight explained “They came to Nightmare Moon’s arrival… and they… they…” the unicorn dissolved into tears.
“What happened? Did they execute your friends? Did they turn the country into a dictatorship?”

“No!” Twilight wailed loudly. “THEY BEAT ME BY DOING RESEARCH!”

Author's Note:

It's late, I was having a silly idea. Autumn deserves a bit of sun... erm moonlight, seeing what I have planned for him.
It's probably full of spelling errors, so feel free to correct me in the comments.
And more importantly, tell me if you like it or not.
I hope you enjoy.