• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 4,246 Views, 105 Comments

To Love a Hybrid - Applejack-fan



An old acquaintance of Pinkie Pie returns, but the party mare has mixed feelings about her comeback due to an incident from the past.

  • ...
10
 105
 4,246

Dare You Tell the Truth?

"And that's why you don't swim in rainbow juice," concluded a cyan pegasus pony with a rainbow mane. She then took a sip from her bottle of apple juice to hydrate her dry throat.

The six friends sat in a circle in the Golden Oaks Library. On Pinkie's request and pleading, Twilight Sparkle relented to take an evening off of her studies for a sleepover at her place. She wouldn't say it to her books, but she had to admit that tonight has been more interesting and funnier than she expected. How things could become ridiculous and hilarious so quickly, she never knew, but she relished in the moment nonetheless.

"Goodness! So that's why you missed two weeks at school," exclaimed a frantic canary mare as she covered her mouth with both hooves upon hearing the other pony's story.

"Meh, don't worry about it, Flutters. Sure, it was uncool being stuck in a hospital bed for that long, but at least, it gave me a break from those three losers and that dumb building they call a school." Rainbow Dash shuddered slightly as she recalled all those years spent sat on a stool and listening to the teachers' endless boring speeches.

"But I recovered, and that's all that matters," the weather mare continued. "I'm tough stuff, after all!" She lifted a hoof to her chest and adorned a boastful smile on her face as she did so.

Twilight, Rarity and Applejack only rolled their eyes at that, while Pinkie Pie giggled and imagined what Rainbow must have looked like when she got out of the rainbow juice. She was so lost in thought, she didn't notice said mare talking to her until the farm pony next to her nudged her with an elbow and brought her back to reality.

"Oops, sorry Dashie. What was it?" asked the pink pony as she looked at the weather mare, her goofy smile still plastered on her face.

"I said : truth or dare?"

Pinkie let herself think it over for a few seconds, tongue sticking out of her mouth. She'd go for dare again, but everypony else have chosen truth at least once already, and she thought it wouldn't be fair if she didn't do so too. Also, she knew that Rainbow knew that she could accomplish any dare the rainbow-maned pegasus would throw at her, so she put back her trademark smirk and confidently answered :

"Truth!"

The five other mares were surprised at her choice, but Rainbow quickly shook hers aside as she took advantage of the occasion and made her move.

"Have you ever kissed somepony before moving her to Ponyville, let's say, at school or something?" She smiled devilishly as she prepared herself for what would be a fun story if Pinkie had, or if not, she'd save it for another target.

What the five friends received wasn't what they were expecting at all. Pinkie's smile was quickly removed from her face, and they swore her mane deflated a bit at hearing the question. She even started shaking slightly, and neither of them knew why their pink friend was reacting this way.

Applejack didn't waste a second as she put one of her forelegs on the shaking pony in an attempt to comfort her.

"Hey, Pinkie, yer' okay, Sugarcube?" she asked, worry on her face. She had never seen her friend in that kind of state.

"Y-y-yes..." she mumbled just loud enough for her friends to hear.

"You do not look alright at all, darling!" exclaimed Rarity as she, too, joined her friend's otherside. "Why, you just look awful right now, dear."

"Was it Rainbow Dash's question that affected you this way?" inquired the purple alicorn as she eyed the brash pegasus out of the corner of her eyes.

"Hey, I didn't do anything, okay!" the accused mare shouted back.

"Eeep!" was all Fluttershy let out at Rainbow's outburst before hiding behind her mane, not really wanting to get involved in the situation until things have quieted down a bit.

"Girls, it's okay," Pinkie softly said, though it could have been a whisper, since she had lowered her head and was staring at the floor.

"How can it be okay, Pinkie?" asked Twilight. "I've never seen you act like that, and neither have they. How can you say it's okay when there's clearly something wrong?!"

Pinkie's ears flattened against her skull as she pleaded, "It's nothing, really..."

"Pinkie, what's the matter with-"

"Please," she said as she finally looked into Twilight's lavender eyes. The alicorn could see that her friend was on the verge of tears, but what struck her the most was the look that she saw into Pinkie's blue eyes, a mixture of worry, sadness, uncertainty, and she swore she saw a hint of fear, although quite small. It was clear that she didn't want to talk about it, at least, not yet.

"Alright," sighed Twilight. She then approached Pinkie and wrapped her in her front hooves, giving her a comforting hug. "I'm sorry we pushed the issue. We just wanted to help you, Pinkie."

The pink mare's mood seemed to lighten up a bit, though not completely. Nonetheless, she immediately returned the alicorn's hug and whispered, "It's okay, Twi. It's okay. I just-"

"Hush Pinkie." Twilight said.

Pinkie conceded. She let herself be hugged by her friend, and soon felt the others join in too. After a good minute, they separated, each of them saying a quick 'sorry' of their own, soon joined by a yawn, and they started chuckling in unison.

"Sounds like we might be a might tired here, I reckon," pointed Applejack.

"Quite so, darling," declared the fashionista. "I wouldn't mind having my beauty sleep now. I believe we could all use it, what do you girls say?"

"Aww, come on," whined Pinkie Pie. "The night's not over yet! We still..." she started before being cut by a yawn of her own as well.

Twilight put a hoof to her mouth to stifle a chuckle.

"You were saying?" she asked teasingly.

The party mare smiled sheepishly as she looked back in her purple friend's direction and shook her head in defeat. She and each of her friends proceded to lie down on the extra beds the alicorn had summoned for the occasion, Twilight having brought hers to the main floor so as to not be left out. Once tuckered in their warm blankets, they bade each other goodnight before putting the lights off.

It only took a few minutes for the living room of the library to be empty of any noise except for the breathing and occasional snoring of the ponies sleeping in it. All were now roaming in dreamland. They all slumbered, all wearing relaxed smiles on their face as if there wasn't anything wrong in the world.

* * *

Luna's glorious moon was hovering above the land, giving the land underneath a mesmerizing glow. The stars that accompanied it shone brightly, adding to the beauty of the night sky. But all this didn't matter for the figure standing just outside the large treehouse in the center of the town. Its gaze was instead focused on the first floor window. Once all the lights in the building went off, and no sound other than the night breeze could be heard, the silhouetted slithered closer to the huge tree and quietly hid in one of the bushes, and waited.

Author's Note:

Hello to anyone who's gonna stumble upon this fanfic. It's my first fanfic, so any constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated (things I could improve, typos if any, changes I could make, etc.) Only condition : if it's about typos, I'd appreciate it more if you PM'ed instead, otherwise, feel free to use the comments for any other kind of feedback. Enjoy!