• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 5,718 Views, 77 Comments

Escaping Tartarus - AlphaRidley



After escaping from Tartarus after a thousand years, a female human looks for a way to free the rightful ruler of Equestria, Discord.

  • ...
6
 77
 5,718

Prologue

Tartarus.

Some call it hell, but only those inside truly knew what it was. They had been condemned to rot away in Tartarus for all of eternity because they were deemed too dangerous to live with the ponies by Celestia and Luna after Discord was overthrown. They were locked inside because they were diffrent, and anything diffrent was wrong.

They were the victims, they were locked away for following their instincts. The so called rulers of Equestria preached harmony, but they were the ones who had destroyed that harmony.

They claimed that Chaos wasn't harmony, but Chaos is change, and without change, you can't make the world a better place. Harmony is a balance of Order and Chaos. If they couldn't understand that, then they had no right to rule anything.

They had no right to claim Equestria as theirs. Discord had ruled Equestria first, they were the Tyrants, not Discord.

Only those inside knew Tartarus for what it truely was; a land of pain and sorrow from which there was no escape, where creatures of all sizes suffered in agony. No light shown within this dark land, the water was poison, infecting anything that drank it, changing them.

Every creature in Tartarus had their own designated territory, except one. This one creature was vastly diffrent from everything else, it didn't belong, and it was the only one that was untouchable. No creature would touch it without it's consent.

This creature could show the others the world outside of Tartars, and as such it could walk anywhere it wanted. Any being that touched it was swiftly taught a lesson by the others.

This creature was a being of technology, trapped within a land dominated by magic.

At the moment, this creature was watching as long overdue insanity was brought down upon Equestria by the Embodiment of Chaos, Discord.

The last time she had seen Discord was when he was overthrown, the day she was locked in this hellhole.

Like many of those trapped within Tartarus she was immortal, a side effect of living around Discord's magic for so long.

Every creature in Tartarus was gathered around her to watch the rightful ruler of Equestria get beaten once again. They had suspected he would be, but they still trudged away in saddness.

That's when it happened.

The window in reality through which they watched the world outside Tartarus, one of her abilities, began to ripple, the distortion a sonicboom in a land without sound.

Her plan was complete, Discord's chaos magic had provided the energy she needed to create a portal to the outside world.

The creatures of Tartarus had been waiting over a thousand years for this moment. They cheered as she stepped through the portal, she would come back for them, they knew she would.

She stumbled out on the otherside of her portal, wincing in pain as her feet landed were scraped up by the trees branches that littered the forest floor.

She grinned, placing her hands on the trunk of a nearby tree to catch herself, she was free at last!

Taking a deep breath she let go of the tree. The gravity here was much stronger then in Tartarus, she would have to rest until she was used to it.

Laying down on the ground she brought her knees up to her bare chest and started shivering violently, finally feeling the impact of the cold wind on her naked body.

Her clothes hadn't survived the trip to Tartarus, luckily there was no need for them, you couldn't feel hot or cold in the eternal prison. But now that she was back in Equestria this was no longer the case. She wouldn't die from the tempatures, another sideffect of overexposure to Discord's chaos magic, but she would without a doubt suffer until she could find some.

Gritting her teeth against the pain she forced herself to stand up. Most creatures that lived on Equis were quadrupeds, but she wasn't, she was a biped.

She would have to be careful if she wanted to free Discord, the mere sight of her would no doubt raise alarm, which would hinder her progress towards freeing the creatures of Tartarus significantly.

Walking forwards, struggling with the effort to stay upright, she traveled through the forest. Slowly at first, but quickly picking up speed once her body started to warm up.

It seemed luck was on her side, the trees begining to thin out after around ten minutes, she wouldn't last long against the predators of the Everfree forest once darkness fell in an hour or so. She was powerful enough to kill anything in the forest, of that she had no doubt. But the powers bestowed upon her by Discord's magic required her absolute concentration, which would be almost impossible to achive if she couldn't see anything.

She was sprinting by now, her chest heaving up and down, desperate to draw in the oxygen she needed to continue running.

Slowing down as she neared the edge of the forest, she hid behind a tree. She peeked out to see a town, quickly pulling back when voices reached her ears.

"Darling, are you positive that Princess Celestia said the distortion was in this area?"

She froze at the mention of that dreaded name. She had made it this far already, she refused to let all her efforts be for naught.

Closing her eyes she pictured the spot where Discord was trapped in stone within her minds eye. Teleporting such a long distance would tire her out, sure, but she didn't have any other option at the moment.

Her eyes and mouth flew open, a grey light streaming out, a high pitched screech alerting anything nearby as to where she was. Her body began to collapse in on itself, much like when a black hole is created, and she vanished, leaving a small hole in reality that would no doubt keep the ponies busy for a day or two.

Her name was Eris, and she would bring Discord back no matter the cost.

Author's Note:

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me the URL to a picture of a Humanized Eris (so I can add the story pic to the story on my iPad). I've got a couple paragraphs of the first chapter done. :D

Not much else to say.